Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
This topic is a continuation of Topic 2634....

BMW X5 - II. Please continue these discussions
here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
Tagged:

Comments

• nnutternnutter Member Posts: 2
    I have an order in for a BMW x5. I am getting the
    x5 to be able to go back and forth to work in the
    snow. Sometimes I have to travel 200 miles a day. I have read lots of stuff regarding the x5 with and without the sport package. Can anyone give some real world experiences with the x5 in the snow, with out the sports package and with the standard 18 H-rated all season tires.
  • millerro3millerro3 Member Posts: 136
    depends on which X5 you are looking at. You refer to the standard 18" wheels so I'll assume that you are talking about the V8. If that is the case, than I would say STAY AWAY from the sport package if you are concerned with handling/driveability in the snow. 19" high performance sport tires are part of the sport package with the V8. Not really what you want to be on in the snow or ice. Standard wheel on the V8 are 18" all-season tires, much more desirable in the inclement weather.
    If you are talking about the 6 cylinder then either one(sport vs. non-sport) comes with all season tires.
  • drt5drt5 Member Posts: 1
    Is the standard sound system in the X-5 4.4 adaquate? Or is the expensive ($1200) premium sound system upgrade necessary for good sound?
  • cbagshawcbagshaw Member Posts: 7
    I've owned 3 BMW's recently and I have to say that even though I love German engineering and design, I hate their ignorance of placing a good sounding standard stereo in their cars. My wife's 43,000 528i wagon has the standard sound system with 12 (?) speakers it sound HORRIBLE. It has no bass and sounds muddy. On my 323i, I opted for the in-dash CD and the BOSE sound system upgrade (total 1400.00 buck MORE) and it sounds pretty good. But my issue is why do I have to spend an additional 1400.00 to get good sound in a "premium" vehicle in the first place. The Japanese definitely understand the marketplace better in this regard and place good sound systems in their cars STANDARD (ie. Lexus). If you're BUYING your BMW, simply get the in-dash CD player and hold on the other upgrades and see how you like it. If you need to upgrade, then, goto an aftermarket stereo shop and upgrade there. IF you are LEASING, you'll probably want to make the decision upfront and listen to the two systems before you sign the papers. Good luck.
  • 3literx53literx5 Member Posts: 3
    BMW has had an arrangement with HK for years for their "premium" sound systems, not Bose. Did they switch, and I missed it?
    I bought my E36 off the lot, and the premium sound was in place. I would consider it "adequate:" there's enough power, but its not very crisp. I have not done anything, but speaker upgrades would make a big difference.

For the E53: we have the premium sound with DSP. The DSP is fun sometimes, but it can become annoying if you switch to news or other talk stuff.

The premium package's major shortfall, to my ears, is in the lower bass. The 6" drivers in the back drop off and you lose the lower range.

Going aftermarket will take a good hacker since BMW uses the i-bus for lots of data now, and you don't want to blow up anything. It is nice to have dashboard access so there's no need to resort to an aftermarket interface.

Cbagshaw's suggestion about listening to the options before you buy is also my strong recommendation. if the dealer doesn't have the various configurations you want to check out, ask your salesperson for a current owner to contact & talk to them personally.
  • millerro3millerro3 Member Posts: 136
    An interesting thing to consider when looking at the E46 3 series: The sedan's standard stereo is, in my opinion, 'mediocre'. However, the standard stereo in the coupe was designed with Harman Kardon engineers to complement the interior dimensions and placement of the speakers to maximize the efficiency of the overall package. In other words, the standard stereo on the coupe, of course IMHO, is just as good if not better than the HK upgrade in the sedan. It is a very good idea to listen to the different stereos before committing yourself, though. In the X5, and 5 series, I can Hardly tell a difference between the two. When the standard stereo is maxxed(sp?) out in power and sound, the premium sound goes a little bit louder with a little more clarity. For the true audiophiles out there, they *might* appreciate it. I would probably opt for aftermarket, as long as it's a true professional installing it, and besides, you should get more for your money. For the everyday Joe commuting back and forth to work who listens to AM talk radio, definitely not worth it.

just my .02

Rob
  • jwsetjwset Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about getting a X5 3.0 but I'm woundering if it will have enought power to pull my 4000 pound boat up the boat ramp with no low range. In my current tow vehicle ('96 T-100 V6), I use 4 wheel low to save the clutch when starting on a steep hill. Has any owners used this vehicle to tow with? If so, any comments would be appreciated.
  • cdpgatorscdpgators Member Posts: 1
    Looking at x5 4.4 w/ sport pkg...any experience out there w/ towing trialers or boats in non-snow climates?...Also, any views on best re-sale value exterior/interior colors? Thanks.
  • pfoster1pfoster1 Member Posts: 1
    The X5 will tow up to 6000lbs easily.
  • ms_joannems_joanne Member Posts: 69
    Any X5ers out there?
  • janelinjanelin Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I'd like to know how the X5's halogen lights compare with the optional xenon lights. I saw an X5 with xenon lights last night, and they seemed very good - wide spread and far-reaching. This is important to me because where I live there aren't lamp posts along the highway. Does anyone with halogen lights wish they had the xenon?

Thanks!
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    cbagshaw, 'premium' stereo is a subjective term. It can be the audiophile type of high-end like Mark Levison, Krell, Audio Reasearch... For that, probably only the new Lexus LS430 has it. Other premium stereo brands like HK, Alpine.. are also good, but 'less premium' than Mark Levison and its likes. BTW, you'll need a quiet car first and BMW is definitely qualified for that.
    I will have my new X in a few days and will let you know what I think of the Xenons. When I test drove it they were definitely brighter but it might take some getting used to in dealing with the clearly defined bright vs. dark that those lights provide....for they are VERY bright!!

I wasn't going to get them until I discovered that they project that much farther down the road than regular lights and also provide a good line of sight for the right shoulder, too.

I won't know if I like them til I actually have them and am using them for a bit. I will let everyone know. I really wrestled with getting them vs. not getting them.
  • arod2arod2 Member Posts: 10
    I ordered an X5 3.0 for my wife about 3 was ago. I/I of the comments on this board and from personal listening, I did not get the premium sound system. I figured that for $1,200 I would do it myself. Has anyone out there replaced their speakers? Did you also replace the amplifier? I want to leave all the major components like changer & tuner factory. I'm a little concerned about using a car stereo store to install this stuff, but they will no doubt be better at it than me. Just curious to know what other people are doing on this matter. BOW the standard sound system sounds like the radio I had in 7th grade.
  • dpb54dpb54 Member Posts: 6
    I own a 528, and also have had an X5 for about 7 months. For those of you considering buying one, I think you should wait a couple of years as there are numerous problems with the vehicle. These include stalling, wind noise, seat belt malfunction, gas guage and fuel sender not working, doors not opening from the inside while within the car, and doors/hatches not closing properly. Many people have posted notes about a multitude of problems. Some get fixed. Some don't. For example the dealer and BMW - USA aren't willing to deal with the wind noise. Also, they only will attempt to fix something they can duplicate. So when you're locked in the car and can't open the door they don't take it seriously unless they can repeat the problem when they have the car.
    I should be receiving my Alpine White 3.0i with black leatherette interior, climate and activity packages, automatic, moonroof, power lumbar support, and in-dash CD player. CAN'T WAIT!
  • arod2arod2 Member Posts: 10
    Our X5 delivery will be delayed until February. Apparently the January build schedule is booked. This Burger King production process is killing me. Anyway, ours will be Silver/Tan, Premium Pkg, Climate, Activity, Self-Dimming Mirrors, CD Changer, Xenon headlights. I ordered the std stereo but plan to upgrade it myself. (see Do-it-yourself msg above) Eight weeks will seem like two months :)
  • sel2sel2 Member Posts: 2
    Looking at X5 for my wife. Does all wheel drive scrub tires and reduce tire mileage? My wife likes to listen to book tapes, but doesn't want the 6-CD changer. Any way to get a single CD and tape-player combo in dash? I've heard you only get one/maybe two sets of brake pads used before requiring rotor change. Sounds expensive. Any concerns with maintenance costs? Anyone like the heated steering wheel option for cold climates? I'm also considering RX300, MDX.
  • x5loux5x5loux5 Member Posts: 7
    I recently ordered an X5 3.0i. Delivery is for end of Jan.It is silver with black interior. I test drove the Lexus ES300 and Accura MDX. The X5 was the best driving and riding . Plus it looks fantastic.
    I didn't get the sports package beacuse of the reported harsh ride Any comments or experience?
    This is my first BMW and SUV [SAV?] so I'm excited about getting my hands on it.
    Hopfully I'll be spared the glitches some people have reported. I'll write back after I start driving.
    This site was very halpful to me during my research so thanks to everyone who posted messages and the urls.
    which is great for X5 questions is www.bimmer.org/x5/messages

There are answers there about your stereo upgrade questions and I think someone really got detailed as to what and how he did it.

Can't wait to hear from you guys after you got yours. Oh, by the way, there seems to be some question as to changing the options on the BMW so I would not do that right away (like auto locking, day running lights, etc.) Not sure if it is THE reason for some of the problems occurring but why chance it.
  • bernard1bernard1 Member Posts: 58
    AWD or 4WD vehicles tend to go trough tires somewhat faster than 2WD autos, but you are getting something additional for your dollars. Better traction in lousy conditions. You can either get an in-dash CD or an in dash tape but not both together.
    BMW's come standard with 3 yr/36000 free maintenence programs. If you feel that the cost will hit you during the 4th year you can upgrade. If you are leasing, it will be time to turn it in. So far no real problems with our X5 therefore we are not worried about future maintenence costs.
  • bernard1bernard1 Member Posts: 58
    Xenons are much brighter than the halogens but they have a definite cutoff point between the bright and darkness of the road. On roads without streetlights, this can be alarming especially if there are deer that cross the road just at the end of your sight range. Halogens have a more gradual cutoff and allows your eyes to adjust eaiser to the darkness past the limits of the lights.
  • jeff9876jeff9876 Member Posts: 3
    I would like some advice quickly. I want an X5 4.4 right away, but the only one available does not have the Navigation system. How important is it? I also would have to get silver (I think I would prefer black or green)

Is it worth waiting and paying the $2K for the NAV? Also I got offered $500 off. Is this a good deal?
    BMW's NAV system sucks. It's one of the poorer ones I have seen (Acura's is the best). I wouldn't waste the cash on it. That said, I have read messages from those that have it and like it. (There is no English readings everything is in metric, there are menus and sub menus galore, unless you're in a larger populated area you're going to be kind of left out in the cold. I don't think it's worth it but that's my opinion.

If you're getting any discount on the 4.4 you have a great deal. I have not heard of a single discounted 4.4 yet. The 3.0's are being discounted in some locations throughout the country...it all depends on where you are...but the 4.4's are selling at MSRP everywhere.
    Anyone own the NAV or not own it, and have any comments. Like how it looks in the dash with or without. I am getting Silver on Black. Prem, weather, heated wheel, I live near Philadelphia.

Can I get a changer even though I have the in dash CD? If you go for aftermarket improvement on the basic sound system, what do you replace? I would imagine that you would not want to change the in-dash layout.
  • pj_steamboatpj_steamboat Member Posts: 1
    I have a blue X5 3.0i. Now that I have it driving is fun and I will anywhere just to drive it. I got Xenon on my X5 and I love it. It lights up the road better than any halogen. But the auto leveling on the car makes it so there is a line of bright light and then just pitch black. But this only seems to bother me when there are no street lamps and in that case I just turn on my high beams and it is like the sun is out. So I suggest to all of you who are considering xenon, GET THEM you will hate yourself if you don't. And about the NAV system. I didn't get one in my X5 because of the price and I herd that BMWs NAV systems were not that great. Also it looked confusing because you have to run almost everything on that little screen too. But I think if you are bad with directions and have an extra 2grand to spend, go for it.
  • snakebite1snakebite1 Member Posts: 1
    If you spent $50,000+ on a car and want to get out of spending $200-$400 for labor at a stereo shop, you should think about it some more. Replacing speakers in a BMW is relatively easy, but if you are not 100% sure of how to take apart the doors for example what are you really saving? Take it somewhere where they do this for a living, ask all the questions you want before setting up an appointment so you are comfortable. If you get stuck or mess something up YOU are SOL. At least having somebody who does this for a living will be accountable is something goes wrong (even 6 months after) and hopefully there will be less of a chance that something would go wrong. I was a certified installed and had my own shop for a few years in a past life and I used to see this all the time. I DO think that there is a better way of spending $1200 than the factory system. Saving $300 on a $50,000+ car by doing it your self is not the way to do it. Hope it works out for you, have a great holiday season.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The sharp light cutoff is due to the design of the HID lights and has nothing to do with the autoleveling system. Sit in an Acura 3.2TL, a MB E-class and you'll notice the same thing. However, BMW's is especially sharp since the company uses projectors instead of the more conventional reflector design.

Drew
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences
  • buckcherrybuckcherry Member Posts: 2
    I just got my X5 4.4 and I love it!!! My wife said it looks like a mini-van but she is just jealous.

4.4 silver/black
    no-sport 18" wheels
    heated everything
    cargo floor
    shades, sun visors
    activity pkg
    sunroof
    awesome

I traded my Lexus GS430 in for it, and the comfort is night and day.

The standard seats with no lumbar adjustment blow away the nexus seats with Lumbar. The cockpit has much more room and better ergonomics. I am also surprised how fast it is and how great it handles. Not a 540, but still better than most other cars on the road.

No wind noise at all, no stalling, no speaker Mickey-mouse. The stock stereo is acceptable. Not sure the premium is worth it. Owned it in my 540 but bit is different in the X5. Best to go after market here.

Drove it in the snowstorm last night. Went up hills on unplowed roads and it did great. If you went around a curve aggressively, the DSC lit up and you could hear everything churning.

I love this truck
  • buckcherrybuckcherry Member Posts: 2
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Congrats on your new vehicle! I don't see any spelling mistakes in your previous message. Oh BTW, it's not a truck ;-)

Drew
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences
    Buckcherry . . . It sounds like you got mine. Except I didn't get the cargo floor or the rear heated seats, but I did get the heated wheel. I am a little nervous about not getting the floor. Is it really good? what about NAV?
  • rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    Anybody have or seen an X5 without the sunroof? Does the roof appear more "vaulted" vs with-sunroof? Curious if you gain any headroom.

Also anybody have or seen the interior aluminum trim vs. wood? Wonder if this gives the vehicle more of a "techno" look? Don't care for wood (even real) at all.

Anybody tried to get the 3.0's 18" sport wheels on a 4.4? Thinking the 3.0's 18" are the best looking wheel available, period.
  • morecarlmorecarl Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have an opinion on the X5 sports seats vs the standard seats?

I'm in the process of ordering an X5 4.4i w/ the sport package and the activity package. I am not sure if I should go with the sports seats or the standard seats + lumbar?
  • artosartos Member Posts: 1
    is there anyone could say about how x5 doing on the icy roads.. living in Moscow /Russia and trying to get 4.4 w/sport package, activity etc. thanks in advance..
    Any advice on equiping an X5 4.4i w/ sport package for winter driving (snow/ice)?

Wheel/tire options - maybe using 18" 3.0i sport wheels w/ all season tires or aftermarket wheels/tires...

What have other X5ers done?
  • hzhaohzhao Member Posts: 28
    Planning to purchasing or leasing the X5 in next couple of weeks. Any price/lease paid on this car is greatly appreciated.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    See: www.bmwcca.org/roundel00/0600fea.htm for some X5 winter driving insights. The studded Pirelli S/Ts did OK for our purposes, but I would check and see what winter tires Tire Rack has in the 18" size.
  • bank222bank222 Member Posts: 1
    I own a X5 30 with Sport Pkg, Nov, Xenon, Sport seats, climate pkg.

I have to say that the NAV system is fabulous. It does indeed have to option of reporting in Metric or U.S. Miles, If you take time to read the manual and watch the second part of the X5 video - you will know how to use it. The navigation is very accurate - Once you set your destination, you dont even have to look at the screen, as the voice tells you of upcoming turns as you approach. You get plenty of warning and even detailed instructions like "take the second turn on the left". There are quite a few menus and settings - but it enables the "master" user to get the most out of it.

It seems that most complaints come from people who are not computer savvy. It you are not comfortable with PC's - dot get it until they release the "Navigation for dummies " manual update.

P.S. That spell robot has to go! I had to edit this post 4 times to fix the spelling corrections!
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Hi all,

I have an ML, and starting to wander accross the boards

I thought that dealers intentionally lowered the HID projector beams on the X5. I read some where, not sure where, but you can have the HIDs adjusted a bit higher so the cutoff is not as annoying. I actually think that the HIDS on my ML are aimed a bit high, therefore preventing the same effect that many people complain about. On the other hand not so good for the other drivers.

Robert
    I thought I would share my experience of dealing with Fields BMW, a Chicagoland dealer.

I went there to follow up on a trinket that I had purchased (but not received) for a friend for Xmas. While I was there I thought I would have them wash my car as it had a lot of salt on it. I pulled into the service area (which is where Parts is also located) and asked the service guy if I could get my car washed. He looked at it and said that because I had not bought it there they wouldn’t wash it. I told him that I didn’t expect him to do it for free that I would pay for it, of course. No, they do not wash vehicles not purchased there. (They do offer detailing, both interior and exterior, but that wasn’t offered. Just a flat NO.)

Ok, fine…I will go find my little F1 racing keychain and leave. Parts said it should be there somewhere and spent about 10 minutes looking for it. In the meantime the service people had moved my brand new, three day old X5 closer to the door where it was promptly HIT by a customer who was leaving. I screamed STOP! But it was too late. Boomph. He sideswipped my front driver-side wheelwell.

The service manager then runs out, grabs a dry rag and proceeds to rub the salt off of the front fender to see if there was any damage. I asked him to stop stating that he was going to rub the salt into the finish at which point he started yelling at me. HUH? EXCUSE ME, you idiot, it was MY vehicle that was hit! Why are you yelling at me? I was then informed that I would have to exchange information with the guy who hit me and have our insurance companies handle it. I don’t think so!

Ok, it was General Manager time. I spoke with her and gave her the rundown of what happened. I started my discussion with her by stating that I was “beyond angry” and that I had stopped there for two reasons, 1. to pick up my trinket, and 2. to scope out their service department as they are closer to my house than the place I purchased the vehicle and I was looking for a service provider closer to my home…and I told her that her service department failed miserably. “Well, it is our policy to not wash other vehicles…” blah, blah, blah, was pretty much her response until I got to the point where I told her that my car, my BRAND NEW, 3 DAY OLD X5 was hit in her service area and under no circumstances should her service guy have raised his voice to me. Amazingly I was able to control my frustration up until now…but at this point tears started flowing down my cheeks.

I will admit that she was nice about it after that and gave me an X5 coffee table book but the overall experience with them left me wanting (not to mention shaking and upset to the point I could barely talk). She had the car washed and then we looked for damage - thankfully the schmoe that hit me was in a car and his wheelwell scraped mine and with the plastic piece that goes around the X’s wheelwells it only got a scratch and a rub on the paint…something I could handle myself. She offered to give me the drivers information (the dealer took no responsibility what-so-ever) at which point I must have looked at her like she was from another planet. She then offered to have them buff it out next time I came back (yeah like I would EVER go back there) but I politely refused. I asked for a refund of the keychain (that they still couldn’t find – now 45 minutes later) stating, to myself, that there was no way in hell I would ever cross their doors again. I could only imagine what would happen if I entrusted my baby to them for ANYTHING. I don't think so!!

So now they have lost a service customer, a potential future customer, and one who is very vocal in offering my opinion to those on the internet….other potential customers. Thankfully the place I bought the car will be the primary servicer but it is nice to have a backup closer to home. Fields will definitely NOT be that baclup!

BEWARE! This dealer has decent sales people but service is the pits!

I’ll now relate my first experience at Fields - when I ordered the key chain. I had asked them if they could look at the tire of my 4Runner (before the X came in) as I thought it had a leak. They told me that their union people wouldn’t work on my car…it was against their rules or some such. I said that I only wanted them to look at the tire as it was going flat. After much discussion (including that I was purchasing an X5) they looked at it and found that it needed to be plugged and repaired it. What an effort, though. My safety meant nothing. Jeez…it wasn’t like I asked them to work on my Japanese car…I just wanted the tire looked at! That first experience left me wanting. This last one was the clincher.

This was the worst service experience of any dealer I had ever worked with and I have owned over the 100 vehicles in my lifetime. THE WORST EVER….and let me tell you I have had a lot of service dealings over the years.

Thanks for letting me go off and please, warn any friends considering purchasing from them. Caveot emptor…let the buyer beware!
    Joanne, I'm sorry to hear what happened to your X5. If there's any X5 owners club, I suggest you share your dealer experience there. I have an MDX and a lot of people(including myself) share their daeler experience.
    Good idea! I joined BMW Car Club of America and perhaps they would be a good direction for my venting!

Thanks for the suggestion! How's the new MDX? You loving it? I hope so! Nothing like a new car that you L O V E!!!!
    Hope you find a dealer with better service. The MDX is great. It's my wife's car and she loves it(sigh from me). I remember you had a post saying MDX and X5 don't really compare. I agree. X5 is the choice for purely performance oriented buyer. But gladly/sadly I've passed that time and needed both performance and versatility.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    I'm very sorry to hear about that accident with your new X5. I hope it can be easily buffed and touched-up to be as good as new.

Was that actually the service MANAGER who yelled at you? I find that sort of behavior very disgusting for someone in the management position at a BMW dealer!

But just to play devil's advocate, you had a couple complaints with which I disagree. I find it perfectly normal that a BMW service center would decline to check a tire on another manufacturer's vehicle, unless the damage to the tire was caused at that dealership. Keep in mind you were not a customer nor a BMW driver at that time. I also find no fault with a BMW service center that refuses to provide a complementary car wash on a vehicle purchased at another dealership. Although you offered to pay for the wash, their lot attendents may have been busy, and they probably don't have any pricing structure for just a car wash. They should have offered you the option of a paid detailing service, but I imagine that would have required leaving your X5 with them for at least half of the day, if not the entire day.

I make these arguments because I place myself in the eyes of the dealer management, and more importantly, in the eyes of other customers who also want the dealer's resources and personnel working on THEIR cars. For example, if I was waiting on my 328i for a basic oil change service, I wouldn't be too happy if I was told my car was delayed due to a couple technicians examining the tire on a 4Runner. If I later found out that my 328i is late being delivered to me on the drive because somebody off the street got into the queue ahead of me for the car wash, I would be further frustrated.

However, I can't excuse the yelling, nor do I understand why a service guy took the liberty of moving your car. In my opinion, they should have found you and asked you to move it. If the car was not getting serviced there, they shouldn't be driving it -- even if it is only a few feet!
    I wouldn't have gone to them to have my tire fixed however it was right before the Thanksgiving holiday (Wednesday evening) and it was snowing like mad and I was going from my house (in the city) to John's house in the 'burbs when I was informed en route that I had a flat.

I had stopped at two other places to get the tire repaired and there were no other places that I could think of that might be open on the way. I wanted to get John the BMW keychain, anyway. After stopping a couple of times I finally found a place to put air in it and because the weather was so crappy I just figured I'd stop at BMW, get the key chain and get the tire fixed at the same time instead of driving all over creation trying to find something open.

I have gone to dealers in the past for other than the brand they sell (and I rarely ever get the vehicles serviced where I buy them becuase I want the best deal and don't always get that at the closest place...most places love providing service as that is where they make most of their $$, not on the original deal). Anyway, I felt I was in a desperate situation when I asked them to look at the tire and was sorely disappointed when they gave me a hard time. They didn't have cars lined up around the block and they were going to be closing in the next couple of hours.

Honestly, I'd have paid them $100 to fix it that night...I hate to do the dumb girl thing but I had no desire to change the tire in the freezing, near-blizzard conditions we had that night. (Ok, I admit it...I had never dropped the spare in the 4Runner and there was so much snow I don't think I even could have.)

As for asking them to wash it I didn't think twice about it. I thought that was a service all dealers offered. I honestly didn't think I was asking for anything special. I guess I was wrong. Whodda thunk it...not me, that's for sure.

I would like to find a service provider that will go above and beyond for me. That was why I feel they failed miserably. Because if they won't go above and beyond now will they ever? I doubt it.

Let me share why I think this is so important. I had a Grand Am SE Quad 4 that I loved. I had that car longer than any other I have ever owned (it had 156k miles on it when I sold it...a rarity for me, as I would usually keep them for a month, two, maybe a year at the most). Anyway, I bought this vehicle at Highland Park Pontiac but Patrick Pontiac in Libertyville was closer for service. I started taking it to Patrick for service at about 16k miles. At 80k it blew a head gasket. I was well outside of any warranty it might have had. I asked the mechanic if it was even worth repairing, to which he replied that it was worth 0 as it stood at that moment. I opted to fix it at a cost of $1100.00. About 4 hours later I got a call from Patrick that they were going to fix it under a warranty program with my paying a $250.00 deductible (turns out that they were having this problem and replacing head gaskets on vehicles up to 60k miles). I had no idea about the problems they were having with the head gaskets and I was prepared to pay them over a grand to fix it. They knew that and still fixed it under warranty with my paying a fraction of what I expected. THAT, to me, is above and beyond.

I plan on keeping this X5 until the doors fall off...so service is something that is very important to me. While I got a great service agreement with Patrick BMW (where I purchased the vehicle...and they are soooo nice out there), there are probably going to be times when I will need a faster turn around or whatever and I will need to go elsewhere. To me, service is the guts of any dealership. THAT is where customers are made or broken.

As for the jerk in their service department, I would have assumed that he was some service flunkie until I was informed that he was the manager. That was ultimately telling. Under no circumstance does the service manager lose it. Even if I was yelling and cursing at him (which I wasn't) it is his job to contain himself. As someone who has been in jobs where I had to deal with the public I know how critical that is. You take it from the customer, walk away and THEN curse the jerk up and down...after they have left....which is what he should have done, definitely not to my face.

Sorry for the length of this post. It's cathartic for me...and I honestly don't understand the beating I am taking in the Fields BMW Chicago - The Worst Ever topic. But, hey...I love the publicity. I don't care if I am ragged on...keep that topic public where those who might consider buying a car from them can see it.

I always thought that some of the people out there that have these cars they love were nuts (like the guy who has some hot$^!t BMW and never closes the doors when it's in the garage because he wants to keep the seals perfect...I think that's a little out there), but with that said, I am so totally, absolutely nutty in love with this car it isn't even funny. It's a dream. I'm gushing...and I NEVER gush! I guess I am turning into one of those nuts. ARGH!!! Hellllllp Meeeeeeeee..... (grin) No matter...it was totally uncalled for that I would be yelled at after my vehicle was hit, even if I was completely in the wrong. Keep playing devil's advocate, though...maybe a slap in my face will help me see something I'm just not seeing right now. Never know. As they say...wonders never cease. :)

Thanks guys!
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Yes, I see that you are getting a bit of a verbal spanking over there in the Fields BMW topic. I guess all it takes is one witty retort for everyone to jump onto the bandwagon. I'm surprised nobody there is questioning the yelling service manager.

To be honest, for those people who haven't read other posts from you (and thus, don't know you at all), you probably came across as a prima donna in that first post. Add to that the fact that many people still consider a BMW to be the ultimate Yuppie statement, and you get a little bit of a mob mentality!

Thanks to your last post, I now have a better understanding on where you were coming from regarding the tire repair service.

I guess I agree with some of those other posts in that it is the other driver who is responsible for the damages, not the dealer, unless your X5 was parked in an unsafe location.

However, I still think the dealer was wrong in moving your X5 without first making a strong attempt to ask you to move it (considering they were not servicing it or washing it). They were also wrong to start wiping off your X5 without first asking for your permission. Finally, as you just said, no manager of any dealership should ever yell directly at a customer!

I'm glad that you are so happy about your X5! If it had more cargo space and cost a few grand less, I might now have two BMW's in the garage. I really like the MDX, but it doesn't quite bring the joy of ownership that a new BMW usually provides! I hope your X5 avoids the few problems that other people have mentioned. Keep up the posts, and don't let the mob get you down! I admire your spunk! :-)
  • gwellandgwelland Member Posts: 23
    Well. maybe ms_joanne is her own worst enemy in getting service. Having read the posts and the general attitude expressed by them, I'm not surprised that she got treated as less than their most important customer. (I'm not justifying any bad behaviour, but misery loves company).

Personally, I've had excellent experience with my dealer in Portland, OR - and I'm not even a full customer yet since I'm awaiting delivery of my X5. For instance, I pulled into the dealership with a nail sticking out of my rear tyre and the service guys very willingly took my car into the shop, removed the offending item, checked the tyre conditions and returned the car to me. All at no cost. (Ok, it to be fair, it was my F355 Spider).

They have been nothing but helpful and considerate to me at all phases of my purchase and willing to work with me to finalise my vehicle specifications, even after the initial order was placed.

I think you'll find that a little honey works a whole lot better than vinegar in any relationship, business or otherwise.

My $0.02, for which I'll now probably get flamed ...
    Thanks div2 - great article on the X5 on ice. Ref post #39 of 50.

I wonder if I can get a set of the X5 3.0i 18" sport wheels (they look great) to outfitted with the snow tires for my X5 4.4i w/ sport pkg in the winter and just use the 19" wheels when things thaw out.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Glad you enjoyed the article. You have a good idea on the tire/wheel package. You might call around to some of the dealers who advertise in Roundel to see if they have any take-offs. You also might check www.tirerack.com ; Let me know if I can be of further help- my blood runs blue and white...;)