Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• emersongsemersongs Member Posts: 25
    FYI - I spoke with Will at "Traffic Jams" in Encino, California (818) 501-5267. They have upgraded several X-5's and he recommends purchasing the base, in dash single CD player (about $200) and then have them install upgraded speakers and amp. The upgrade cost would be about the same as BMW's ($1200), but would be far superior. Has anyone else done this? Any other ideas? I'm currently research/shopping. MSRP does not seem to be a problem, I actually think I can get a grand or more off, but watch out for expensive lease factors, security deposit and acquisition fees through BMW leasing. I'll keep you posted.
    Has anyone purchased the built in cell phone? I believe the BMW web site said it was a dual analog/digital startac. Does it work well and is it really $595 plus $495 to install? Thanks
  • ms_joannems_joanne Member Posts: 69
    As for tires the best thing to do is have winter rims and tires and swap them out every year. I would recommend this for any X5...whether 4.4 (19"), sport package, or not. The performance tires on all X5's are not great in winter. I haven't had problems this year (and we had a lot of snow here in Chicago) but next year I am going to go the snow tire route.

As for audio I would upgrade outside of BMW **IF** you are certain that they will be able to make it work. BMW uses strange parts that no one has compatible stuff for. If this company has upgraded BMWs in the past I say go for it. I have heard a lot of people say they are happy with BMWs systems but they are like me...pretty happy with just about anything. I wouldn't have minded a few more bells and whistles in their audio system (repeat, volumn level indicators, etc.) but sound wise it works for me. I'm not exactly what you would call an audiophile, though.

As for the cell phone...to me this is a colossal waste of everything. The whole bloody mess is about $1700.00 and that is just too darned much cash for me. NO WAY! That said it would be a nice thing to have a built in system...but my little $20.00 speaker/mike adaptor works just fine for that. I'm sorry...but I have much better use for that much doe-ray-me.
    Ms. Joanne. Thanks for the input. I agree, a good winter tire really makes a difference. I put the Blizzaks on my Mercedes E320 WAD this year and it sticks like glue. I assume these are also available for the X-5, at least in 17" size. Also, one question, do you have the upgraded DC ($1200). Thanks
    I'm sorry...I am not sure if I understand. If you mean the premium sound, no. I have the regular sound with the in-dash CD player. It's not bad...it's not great. It suffices for me. I am not a big bass person but there are times it could use a better bass sound. Most times, though, it works for me. (To give you a baseline from which to work...I have a boom box at home that I listen to, so consider the source of who is giving you opionions about BMWs audio.
  • atom2atom2 Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for a 2001 X5, 3.0 with auto tarn premium/sport/climate pkg with radio/ad in dash. I priced one @ $45,900 lease of $659 36 oms 12k miles in the NC area. Can anyone tell me if this is a good price, I was told that it’I being discounted for about $1,300. Not sure if this is true. Anyone have any recent experience. Anyone recommend a dealer in NC metro area.
    Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "BMW's answer to Mercedes-Benz's ML55 rips out 6.5-second zero-to-60s at 347 horsepower. With revised fuel injection mapping and new induction and exhaust systems, this SAV is missing little except an "M" in its name":

link

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

• danm8danm8 Member Posts: 5
    I have the 4.4 with sport package. Tried the 19" tires for a couple of weeks in snow. It wasn't as bad as I feared but since I use the vehicle to travel to a country property each weekend and we get lots of snow around here (north east of Toronto), I eventually decided to go with the 18" wheels with Pirelli Scorpion S/T's. Not sure these are true "snow tires" but they get me anywhere now.
    You should probably check the Edmund's web site for exact cost of those options, but it sounds pretty close. It sounds like dealers that have one that is not spoken for are discounting between $1500 and $2400 off of the MSRP which means they are still making between $3000 and $2100 over invoice. That monthly lease sounds pretty good depending on yearly miles (12000 or 15000) and the drive off fees (any cap cost reduction, acquisition fees, etc.). You will be expected to pay license and first month's lease payment, however, these can be rolled into the lease but it will raise your monthly payment. Good luck and keep us all posted
    I must be getting dyslexic in my old age. That's supposed to be CD and the previous post should have been AWD. Sorry. Oops, I just realized it is my misuse of that wonderful spell checker. It defaults to THEIR correction. Ooo technology!!
  • sjefferysjeffery Member Posts: 10
    Hello, does anyone have a favorite salesperson/dealership in the Montgomery County, MD, area? Also can these (2001, 3.0) be had below invoice? I looked on Edmunds and it seems like there is no dealing to be done; is this true. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Stephanie
  • tnormanbmwtnormanbmw Member Posts: 6
    Why any dealership sell a X5, or any car of real value below invoice. I guess the sales person and/ or dealership to work for free for you. To be able to afford a BMW you probably earn pretty good money. I doubt you would work for free to give a customer "below invoice". To even it up, maybe you should donate 75% of your salary, for 1 year, to charity. I doubt you would do that, so why should a business give you charity?? Just curious??
  • x5loverx5lover Member Posts: 11
    Any dealer has to make money from customers like you and me. That's why they are called "dealers".
    They lived by selling cars. As a X5 owner, I think it's absolutely resonable for them to sell at MSRP. Well, if you have any personal relationship with any dealer and they decide to sell one to you below cost or MSRP, that's another story.
    Dealers can and should make a profit from the vehicles they sell but to sell them at MSRP? No, I do not agree with that. Dealers can, and do, sell them at the cost the market will bear but there is no reason that a dealer can't make a very nice profit selling below MSRP.

Everything in life is negotiable. And if it's not, it is not meant to be a part of my life. No matter how wonderful a Saturn might be I will never buy from them as they do not negotiate. I would spend the entire time I owned the car feeling like I got ripped off.

The deal has to be win-win. If one party walks away feeling taken then it is not a good deal. I was in sales (and very successful at it) and would never want a customer to feel that they were taken advantage of. I want my customers telling others about me and increasing my base. Honesty and integrity is everything in sales and a part of that is making sure that each sale is win-win...and that the person on the other side walked away feeling good about it. I made a profit and they were happy. THAT is good sales, IMHO. :)
    It is amazing that everyone thinks they know what is fair for a car salesman to make as regards to vehicle profit. Do we care what the pizza maker holds as profit, the bar owner, or the lumbar yard?? If a salesman makes a good profit, he is able to spend that money in your local town, and we all benefit. He can afford to by new shoes for the kids, a new deck on the back of his house, maybe a new TV. Posilbly spend money at your business. Everybody does better when we all do better. If you like the car, and especially if it is a local dealership that makes the service convient, go for it! Bill Gates makes mucho profit on his geeky computer stuff. He is considered a success?? Why do some people think MSRP on a car they enjoy is a crime. My wife paid MSRP on a Saturn and she loves it. The customer who hounds you for a discount never sends refferals, and is not a loyal customer. Too many people buy a vehicle based soley on the biggest discount. Those are the same people trying to trade in a 11 month old car that they are $5 grand upside down in. They would of saved money buying they car they want, not the best deal.
    As much as I enjoy a "good deal" or invoice plus pricing, TNORMAN is correct in that a 10 to 15% markup is considered quite marginal compared to most retail businesses that average probably 30 to 50%. Unfortunately for the dealer and the salesmen, "whatever the traffic will bear" is a tenant of the free enterprise system. It is the reason that most manufacturers offer a "hold back" of about 3% which is paid to the dealer based on volume sold. This helps if a dealer is selling close to MSRP (doesn't help the salesmen much though, and I don't believe BMW does this). I believe that the future of automobile sales will be strategic manufacturer show rooms where you can see and drive the vehicle and then order it on-line. There will probably be very little inventory. Just my thoughts... I've always been fascinated by the car business and God knows they have gotten enough of mine.
  • tuan5tuan5 Member Posts: 4
    Stephanie,

I live in Montgomery County, MD also. I'm looking to get an X5 in the not so distance future. I've searched all of the dealers in the MD/DC/VA area so let me just say that unless they found some real nasty defect in the X5 to go along with a stock market crash, you won't get anything anywhere in the country that will be below invoice.

HOWEVER, HOWEVER, HOWEVER, I have the names of two dealers in the area who will give you a pretty good discount off of MSPR. If interested email me at money_trail@hotmail.com and I'll give you names and phone numbers.

Keep in mind that getting the base X5 with no options defeat the purpose of owning a luxury liner. BMWUSA release a survey that states that an average X5 3.0 buyer pays about $47K for the vehicle. If your budget calls for something less than $40K I suggest you look at the Acura MDX. I think that many people on this board would agree that it's an awsome alternative to the X5 in terms of value and comfort.
    Thanks emersongs, the markup on a new BMW is less than 9% with no holdback. I sell BMW's in Delaware, about 2 hours or less from DC. I would be happy to sell Stephanie a X5, maybe even discount a stock unit, but I think the local guy would make the whole experience much easier. Developing a long term relationship with a sales person/dealer will save both time and money over the long haul. I think all of us agree time spent with our families is the best bargain around. Just a thought.
  • glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    Well after deliberating and agonizing on which SUV to purchase for my wife, I finally took the plunge and got her a silver X5. As some of you know, we literally tested everything from the MDX, ML, and '02 Escalade before choosing the X5. I was most apprehensive about limited utility, but to my surprise, the X5 actually delivered in that respect too. Admittedly it does have the smallest cargo area of all the SUV's we considered, but it meets the needs of our family just fine.

We just returned from a long road trip from Chicago to DC, and the X5 was flawless. We had our 16 month old daughter, our 160 pound Akita, and my wifes typical 5 bags of luggage. The X5 fit everything and everyone comfortably and was a joy to drive on our 1,500 mile trip.

The X5 won us over with all the tangible advantages, but it is the intangibles that still have us grinning from ear to ear. Like Ms. Joanne references, the weight and heft of the X5 are intangibles that put a smile on my face every time I close the door or take a corner. The fit, finish, and styling are also other intangibles that give the X5 loads of presence. The Xenons, DSC, and other advanced features are not overrated. I especially found the Xenons excellent on the twisty mountain roads of the Pennsylvania turnpike. It was raining/sleeting with a decent amount of fog out, and I felt secure and confident behind the wheel of the X5. I have owned many vehicles over the years, and am completely blown away by the X5. It is pound for pound as good maybe even superior to my E320. I actually think it is a better choice due to the high seating position and 4 wheel drive(I don't have the E4Matic yet(:). My wife is absolutely smitten.

The ML430 was near the top of our short list, but the uncertainty over the 2002 model, and my hangups with the exterior styling killed that choice. The Acura and Lexus models lacked character in my opinion. Both screamed "me too" too much for my tastes. They are a better dollar value(although my wife would debate that), if that is your primary concern. However, their lack of Xenons, DSC/ESP, Curtain Bags, etc. knocked them out of consideration. The MDX is a wonderful choice, but at nearly $40K, I expect cars to have a soul. It just didn't do anything for me. The styling is blaise, and the interior materials and trim felt comparable to a Honda. I loved the third row and the DVD Navigation, but that was not enough to justify the expense. I know people knock the ML for poor fit and finish, but surprisingly we felt it's interior was superior to the RX and the MDX.

The Escalade and other Full Size trucks were just plain too big and unwieldy. Granted the 2002 Escalade is a hell of a truck, and outperforms most other full size trucks. But during our test drives, we were literally frightened several times while performing basic maneuvers. I actually scraped the mirror trying to test the fit in our garage. If you are the type that is used to driving big trucks though, the Escalade is hard to ignore. It was also relatively cheap versus its primary competion the LX470 and Range Rover. It was just too big for us.

Thanks to all for your very helpful posts throughout our vehicle search. You all really helped us with our buying decision.
  • sjefferysjeffery Member Posts: 10
    I need to clarify my earlier post. I used the wrong term....didn't mean below invoice. Meant to say below MSRP. Of course everyone deserves to make a profit. I make my living in sales. The issue is to go to the dealership where, all else being equal, you are not taken advantage of. Let's let the unpleasantness end with this. Again, thank you for any assistance you can give me. Stephanie
  • tnormanvwtnormanvw Member Posts: 2
    Sorry Stephanie if I sounded a little harsh. If you want to drive a couple hours I can help you. Thanks,
    Norm
    Thanks Norm for your kind words. I will say this though,the good news, is that my local dealer is not marking up the price OVER MSRP, however, when I asked the salesman to have his sales manager run the numbers on a 36 month lease, everything was padded i.e. $750 security deposit, (with great credit I seldom have to pay one), $750 acquisition fee instead of the normal $450, and a lease factor of .0038 when .0030 or so is possible (the difference between paying 7.2%interest and 9.1%. I suppose they wanted some room to work, but I wish he would have made it an offer I couldn't refuse, but again they have to make what traffic will bear. Reasonable fixed pricing would not necessarily be a bad thing. Roger
    Where BMW was not discounting in the past I am hearing more and more about greater and greater discounts off of MSRP. The current market conditions are not that great and people are being a little more cautious about spending...and this is a lot of spending. Go to another dealer. I still firmly stand by win-win situations...everyone has to be happy at the end of the deal.

Good luck!
  • roro1224roro1224 Member Posts: 2
    I got a great deal from a BMW dealership here in Houston, TX....At least I hope I did. It was well below MSRP. I had to wait about a month though because I got it ordered. It seems like there is not a high demand here in Houston beacuse the lot is pretty full.
  • eliceelice Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying an X5 8 cylinder. How good does it really do in the snow with all wheel drive and not "4WD"
  • imfree00imfree00 Member Posts: 22
    I live in the Rockies and go skiing in some of the worst possible conditions (steep grades and whiteout blizzards). The X5 has never been stuck. Yes, it will experience some wheel slip but I have never "lost it". I have the 4.4 nonsport with standard factory all-season tires.
  • littlebluem3littlebluem3 Member Posts: 7
    I've posted this on the "problems" message board (#207) but have not seen any responses. This page seems much more active. I have 3 basic questions:

1) Will the 3.0 pull a 2000 lb. tent trailer adequately (speed limit)? We live in the LA area and would need to negotiate the "grapevine" on many of our camping trips. My Suburban flew up it, my Grand Caravan crawled and over heated.

2) We have a home in the mountains with a long, sloped driveway that is slushy and icy. My 2WD Explorer is downright dangerous, in the driveway! How does the X5 do under these conditions?

3) Any recommendations on 5-speed vs. automatic considering the above?

After reading most of the messages regarding the X5 we will probably order ours with the 2002 model year unless it makes more financial sense to get a 2001. We have not seen any "deals" in So. Cal. All dealers we've checked out in the LA area are asking above MSRP if it is on the lot. If you order it they will honor the MSRP price. Aren't they nice!
  • carflatcarflat Member Posts: 2
    any body getting deal more than 1500 off on the wonderful x-5,3.0? How is Stephanie making out? During my test drive I noticed that the interior door handles were pitting. Has anybody seen that? I also heard that putting on the hitch can be an expensive proposition, over $700.
  • traveling101traveling101 Member Posts: 31
    Does anyone know if there are any BMWx5 plans to offer a 3rd row seat option like the ML320 and ML430?
  • grazkgrazk Member Posts: 18
    No.

The X5L was cancelled. The standard X5 does not have enough room for a third row.
  • taxgolftaxgolf Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the 2002 X5 will be released and what additions/changes will be on the vehicle. I am planning to order/purchase an X5 3.0 in the next month, but if the 2002 model year will come out in the near future, I would like to wait.
    I understand it is not going to be coming out until sometime in Fall. I can't remember exactly when but it was later in the year (September or October).
  • dan161dan161 Member Posts: 1
    Noticed an X5 commercial on TV the other day. Is this a good thing or bad? Neither? Just wondered if they are discounting and perhaps why. I like the X5! Don't see many on the street though. Is demand high? Any idea how many will be manufactured this year?
  • jma199jma199 Member Posts: 6
    I have read about below MSRP deals in the Chicago, DC and Houston area. But has anyone heard of discounts in the Boston area for the 3.0 or the 4.4? I just want a win-win situation for myself and the dealer.
    P.S. Is the $1200 Premium audio system overprice for it's sound quality?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You fit all your gear UNDER the tonneau cover? I have no doubt the X5 will hold all my stuff if I didn't use the tonnean cover. But I don't like to travel and leave all my luggage and gear in plain view.
  • mi6mi6 Member Posts: 2
    First off, I want to thank all of you for your wonderful insights about the X5.

However, I need your assistance in the following:

i. Does anyone know of a good BMW dealership in the San Francisco Bay area?

ii. Tips on pricing.

A word of caution. Recently, a friend of mine bought a new X5 from Weatherford BMW located in Berkeley, California. After the sale, the honeymoon was over.

The X5 she bought was troublesome ... The X5's amp blew off in the first week, 2nd month their was a known steering column noise bug that needed to repaired, 4th month car would not start - an auxiliary fan needed replacement ... the list goes on. Needless to say the peps. at Weatherford were lousy and lacked common courtesies.

I want to avoid this type of an experience. Please feel free to -email me at mi6_jb.@yahoo.com.

Thanks!
  • mi6mi6 Member Posts: 2
    The BMW premium system is okay. It definitely is not top flight. IF you are an audiophile you may be disappointed with its performance.

The amplifiers as well as the speakers are from a not so popular brand - they are German companies, though.

Overall the system sounds fine ... you may have to week it using the equalizer.

Unfortunately, upgrading to an after-market system is off the table. You would negate your warranty... It's a catch...
    with a 3.0 do any towing with it?
    Just an update.
    We picked up our X5 3.0i(Jet Black/sandle, premium & climate package, CD in dash) on Feb. 8,2001 at 6 miles.
    Today, it's been driven 1090 miles and it's flawless. Very impressive and satisfied.
    We were having quite a hard time making a decision between X5 and MDX.
    But we are very happy we choose X5.

The only thing that bothers my wife is drawing too much attention on the street when we are driving around. She hopes this will get better as X5 is getting common.
  • loonluverloonluver Member Posts: 10
    I live on the east coast. I also work for BMW. I wont say what dealer in the Boston area. Lets just say one of the bigger ones. Most are not discounting the 3.0,
    if they have a back order on them. No need to. Demand is much greater than the supply. However, not so true for the V8. We are starting to discount the V8 because we have more of them than clients. Some dealers may be discounting the 3.0. But the discounts are very small. Pretty typical BMW style. Ever since the government announced that the X5 was the "best" vehicle they EVER tested, sales have gone through the roof. There is not another vehicle on the planet that has done better in crash test than the X5. Have some doubt? Check out "www.safety.org".

Even if you pay full sticker for the vehicle, it is worth it. You cannot put a price on safety. All write ups have been nothing but positive. JD Powers rates BMW the most appealing car 6 years in a row. Good luck in your search for the X5. Whatever you pay it won't be to much. Just order your X5. It will take about 8-10 weeks for it to come in. Well worth the wait. If you order now it will be built in April and arrive in late April or early May.
  • donlinodonlino Member Posts: 39
    Looking at X5 3.0 vs RX300. Anyone care to comment on +/- for each? Personally, I like the X5 since: it is not as common as the RX, it is more fun to drive and I think it has more safety features (rear side airbags) and better crash test scores. The downside is that it costs more, uses more gas (oh well) and ?
  • x5loux5x5loux5 Member Posts: 7
    Donlino,
    I drove both, the X5 wins , no contest. I have the X5 3.0 non sport. It drives like a sport sedan, handling is great and the brakes are incredible. It is the safest SAV built. And it looks great. If $ is an issue try the Accura MDX. I liked the ride and it's bigger than the X5 with a 3rd seat. But for great looks and driving the X5 is the best.
    Try to drive the sport vs non-sport. The sport suspension is too harsh for some.
    Go to www.bimmer.org/x5/messages to read more from owners.
    Good luck
  • bkfurnbkfurn Member Posts: 7
    Don,
    I just picked up my new X5 today. It's awesome! This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I traded in a '99 540I sport pkg. for it. My wife has a new 2001 RX300 it is our second in a row for her. Also a flawless vehicle. The difference is the same as husbands and wives though, and I think the correct person in our family is driving each. Her car is quiet, has lots of room, very smooth & powerful, easy to maneuver, and looks cool. Not to mention the great Lexus service. It is also a far better value for the dollar with a $39,000 price tag, plenty of discounts available, and very attractive lease rates. The X5 4.4 that I just picked up is way expensive, and barley has discounts. I got $1,000 off MSRP, as I was a repeat customer, and I whined a lot. The lease rates are really not that favorable, but the car is second to none! I think the 3.0 would be a better comparison, because of the price. I drove it, and after my last 3 cars being 8 cyl., I just couldn't deal with it. In addition, it wasn't as smooth as my wife's If money is not the problem, the 4.4 X5 is the best you can buy. If you want to stay within a reasonable budget, I say it's 52% to 48% in favor of the Lexus (imho).
    are individuals using in their X5 3.0's? I've been able to get away with 89 with my 740 without any apparent problems or lack of power.
  • gemni1gemni1 Member Posts: 12
    Post a message on bimmer.org/x5/messages, because plenty of people have recieved discounts ($1000+)
    off of MSRP. If you live in the NY, NJ or VA areas, you'll find good deals, especially on an X5 3.0.
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    Are they put together in America? I've heard the 3 series is now built here, but if I'm paying for a German car I want it built in Germany. That's one reason we're really questioning an ML purchase. I love the X5's interior and exterior looks over the ML, but I like all the room the ML has in the back, plus its real 4WD system, but I doubt I'd really ever use it. Oh and by the way, I notice one of my local dealers, BMW of San Diego had a big sale this weekend. They had 4 3.0s all marked about $1k off, and 2 4.4s at close to $2k off.
  • bkfurnbkfurn Member Posts: 7
    Dennett,
    The X5 is assembled in Spartanburg, SC. I had the same reservations at first, However, I have a new 4.4, and the quality level so far seems to be the same as the German built 540I that I traded in.
    According to my dealer, so far all the X5 and Z3 in the whole world are ONLY built in Spartanburg, SC USA.
    Africa, according to my sales person, and they are being shipped to the US. If you want a REAL German made car, get an M.
    all of the engines are built in Germany and shipped to wherever the vehicle is assembled. For what it's worth....