Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• jjripleyjjripley Member Posts: 1
    Looking at a 3.0 X5 in Texas.

1) How much over invoice should I expect to pay for one on the lot?

2) How much over invoice should I expecy to pay if I order one?

Thanks in Advance!
  • chrisd5chrisd5 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new X5 4.4i - fully loaded - with the exception of a few basic options; however, I noticed that the Puddle lamps (located on the base of the side parking mirrors were missing. Does anyone know if this feature was recently eliminated (or added) to newer models?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    X5 pushes up BMW first-quarter sales 9 percent

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    Does anybody know of any changes (look, features, paint colors etc, etc) that will come with the 2002 model??
  • jbulljbull Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 X5 3.0 purchased in Sept 2000. I didn't go for the sport package since as noted by some, it's bumpy on many city driving situations. I found the non-sport package to be more comfortable all the way around and with AWD and the BMW suspention magic you can still drive this car very hard. I find the 3.0 engine and drive train very smooth with a wide range of power. During my first several weeks with it, I had to pay close attention to keep below 80, since you just don't feel your going that fast. In sport transmisssion mode, passing response is very good, so I don't miss the 4.4 liter engine and the fuel it burns.

This is a great on-road vehicle and my first BMW. Is it compromised? Sure; cargo space, and a few ergonomic items, seemingly standard to all BMW's. However, for me and my family, which I sometimes let ride in it, it fills a nice gap between family sedan, sports coupe and big SUV.
    Performance, comfort and beauty in a single package is hard to beat.
  • gloriadgloriad Member Posts: 18
    Hi all, I'm the new kid on the block. I will be purchasing an SUV next month for business use but am having a difficult time deciding which one. I prefer a smooth and quiet ride. Don't need alot of space it's just for me and hubby and no off-roading. Test drove the Sequoia LTD--nice and tight but big and not good on gas mileage; ML320--OK ride with noisy engine not real peppy but good pricing; X5 3.0--very nice and tight and peppy but pricey. Haven't driven the Escalade yet but I hear I can get for the same as ML. I can live without leather but I do want automatic trans and automatic seats. Anyone know of any deals anywhere in southern cal? Thanks for any help and insights.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Just curious, why do you want an SUV if it's just you and your husband and no off-roading? If you're primarily looking for a smooth and quiet ride and gas milage is somewhat important, you would probably be happier with a luxury or sports sedan. If on the other hand you're mainly after the SUV "look" because they're considered the "cool" thing right now, and still want a fairly smooth ride and decent gas milage (for an SUV) I'd probably look at the RX 300 - it looks the part while minimizing the disadvantages. Or "pay up" for the X5 and enjoy it's tighter handling and better road feel. As you say decisions, decisions...
    Thanks for your reply. For business deduction purposes I need to purchase a vehicle that is over 6000 lbs. GVW. The RX300 is not heavy enough, neither is the Acura MDX or the Infinity SUV.
  • speedpedalspeedpedal Member Posts: 1
    I know exactly what you mean. My wife and I have been shopping for about a month now for a vehicle that meets the section 179 deduction, and the X5 is rated 5 pounds over the minimum (smile), while the others, as you mentioned, don't qualify.

We put a down payment on one today (our first BMW)... Black on Black '01 3.0, certified, with 6,000 miles... activity, climate, CD changer & in-dash single player, heated steering wheel, no premium or sport package... after 2 weeks of dickering with the dealer here in Louisville, the best we could do was $41,500 and the 4th year of free maintenance thrown in at cost ($349). A little high..? don't know... just know my wife and I loved driving it and believe after the tax advantages we will come out ok in the end. Also loved the MDX..great value and nice ride... but eventually was swayed by the crash testing results for the X5..if you've ever watched that video, you will come away realizing the BMW is extremely well-built, which is what you want when some yahoo comes racing at you through a red light while your kids are in the back seat...

Best wishes to you in your search.
  • rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    OK, I know how to get the automatic transmission into Steptronic (manual) mode, but what is Sport mode I've seen referenced. After several test drives I keep forgetting to ask. Does it make a difference?
    Thanks for your reply. I am swaying towards the X5. I just hope I can find a dealer that is willing to get closer to invoice price in the southern cal area. Good luck to you in your new X5.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I think that finding anything close to invoice price on the X5, consideirng that it is a hot vehicle right now, is extremely unlikely. In So.Cal, it may be impossible from what I have read.

Good luck though,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • kabbalahkabbalah Member Posts: 58
    It is very hard to get a sizeable if any discount here in Southern California on the X5. I just picked mine up this past weekend, a loaded 4.4 that I ordered through a BMW fleet dealer (in LA). I did get a small discount off of sticker, and I would be happy to recommend this guy to anyone interested. I have purchased a few vehicles from him, and I always get a fair shake with no hassles. E-mail me and I will be happy to refer you to him.
  • mox1mox1 Member Posts: 24
    Could U pl give us some details about this section 179 allowing business deduction if your vehicle's weight is above a certain number. Can you deduct the whole price of the vehicle or just mileage? thank you in advance.
    The vehicle must be over 6000 lbs. GVW. For tax year 2001 the max deduction is $24000 the first year, if you use the vehicle 100% for business. The minimum business useage is 51%. To get more info do an internet search under Section 179 Business Deduction. The X5 qualifies as does the ML320, Lexus 470, Suburban, Expedition,Excursion, Escalade, Navigator, Land Cruiser, Sequoia.
  • camilecamile Member Posts: 2
    I see where you are considering the 3.0i. Does the X5 with this engine top the 6K lb mark? It is about 250-300 lbs lighter than the 4.4i and may not... I am also working through this issue before buying a new vehicle.
    The X5 3.0 does qualify. You add the vehicle weight plus the max payload to get the GVW which is 6005 lbs. What other SUV's are you considering?
    About those locking lug nuts....

Steve
    Host
  • megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    I was just wondering when the new, more powerful version of the X5 was coming out. Ive seen concept photos and they look pretty good. Will it be based on an "M" version?, like an MX im guessing. I also heard that BMW will make a larger "SAV" called the X7, is there any truth to these roomers?
  • gtharpe1gtharpe1 Member Posts: 1
    Purchasing 2001 X5 Memorial Weekend. Anyone know of a reason to hold for the 2002? Maybe indash CD Changer? Other features/improvements/revisions?
  • camilecamile Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! Actually, the X5 is the only SUV... I am also considering the 525/530. If budgetary woes intervene (I will know in acouple of months) then I will scale down to the Passat (wagon?) or 325.
  • monakhmonakh Member Posts: 16
    Re: Msg 261, I am also wondering about the 4.6is monster that will be the flagship X5 this fall. Does anyone have pricing information on this beast? I have heard rumors that this will be replacing the 4.4i but I am not sure if that makes sense. Would price be in the 4.4i ballpark (if it replaces the 4.4i) or more along the lines of M5?

Any info would be appreciated!
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I talked to the M Brand Manager and to date there is no "plans" to release an M version of the X5.

You could always opt for the LMR engine in the X5!

Robert
  • mrman_3k1mrman_3k1 Member Posts: 52
    I placed an order for one and it will be replacing my ML55. When is the X7 due out, I will probably get one of them unless it is going to be in the next year or so.
    Do you want the speed or the Utility.

Have you considered the G500? IMO It is the Ultimate in Off-Roaders. It already seems that you have the Top Sedan!

I have to admit the 4.6 would be really nice though!!

Robert
  • megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    I have a G500 and i love it. It combines, luxury, speed, and major offroad capabilities. Its an SUV version of the S500 sedan. It has its major US debut at Mercedes dealers in 2002 and will be around $72,000. Check out the G-Class Gelaendewagon forum.
  • olympicpcolympicpc Member Posts: 1
    I'm preparing to buy A 3.0 X5. Please let me know if anyone can recommend a decent salesman in the area. thanks
    http://www.eliteviews.com/

Supposedly this is the third X5 4.4. I think that he is also looking for help and I thought that I would post this here:

http://www.bimmer.org/x5/messages/messages/41516.html

Robert

• racerx2001racerx2001 Member Posts: 13
    I am looking to buy an X5 4.4 w/ sports, nav, xenon, Nakamichi 6 cd changer in glove comparment (dealer installed), and parking sensor.

I own a Honda Civic hatchback. Really.

I'm getting the nav system because I have absolutely no sense of direction. I always need directions repeated, and I always second guess myself. I always rely on the passenger (if present) to navigate. Plus, I think the programable ventilation is a plus in this Texas heat, although I don't know how well it will work.
    I'm still debating on the Nakamichi.

OK, here is the deal on color. I know there are a lot of silver, black, and white X5's out there, and it's no wonder because they are all awesome colors. But then I found out from my dealer that you can get X5, or any BMW for that matter, painted with any BMW colors (not offered in your model) for $2000. Has anyone done that? I am thinking about getting it painted imola red (an M color). I don't know. But you know, if you are going to spend the money, you might as well get what you want. But I also like the silver. Any input? This is my first post, and I have really enjoyed all the posts.

Oh, has anyone gotten over $2500 off of MSRP for loaded X5 4.4?
  • nguyen0nguyen0 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All...

I live in the Austin, TX area and I just bought a Black/tan leather package with in dash CD, Xenon lights, Moon roof, Rear tint with Destination charge for 50K even. The MSRP for this was 52,070 and the car is psuedo on lot (It is being sent in two days). This car had everything I wanted - no more and no less. Is this a good deal. I didn't haggle much at all so I thought i was getting a good deal when the guy told me to name him a price and I did. He left, came back and said YES. I thought he was going to give me a counter offer!!!!

I felt like I got a good deal but heck... it was too easy. I wonder if this is really a good deal now a days. I did call around to other dealerships and they could not give me anything near as much off MSRP. What is your thoughts?

Also, I checked on autobytel.com and there has been three recalls of the x5. Are they fixed now on these current production models?

I personally think that I might have been able to hit 3K off MSRP if I sat there and bargained more but what am I to do when someone accepts my offer? Tell him to lower it? I would feel too foolish but heck this is the fun part of buying a car.

Anyhow... I am licking my chops in two more days when it arrives.
  • redrob968redrob968 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone advise if the Section 179 Business deduction for the BMW X5 with a GVW of 6005 lbs. mentioned in post266 by Gloriad by Camile, applies to vehicles leased or only to those purchased ? I have heard that for those vehicles used 100% for business that you can deduct a max of $24,000 the first year. Would this mean that if you are in roughly the 39.6% tax bracket, that you can write off your taxes $9500 or the equivalent of $792/ month? Red Rob
  • gochamgocham Member Posts: 4
    Is it worth getting a leather in x5?

thanks
  • gohuskiesgohuskies Member Posts: 40
    I was looking at certified, previously owned X5s at my local BMW dealer and came upon a used, 2,000 miles, X5, 2001 model, 3.0 with every accessory package (4) and a standard 5 speed manual transmission. Anyone out there have a manual transmission in their X5? I would like operational feedback and any comments regarding how much the manual transmission should affect a purchase offer.
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    There is an article in Autoweek www.autoweek.com saying that BMW will recall 22,000 some vehicles that have a faulty fan switch. It includes the X5.
    Sorry it's taken so long to respond but I haven't checked out this board recently. To qualify for the Section 179 Business Deduction you must purchase the vehicle. Here is a link you can check out and you can also get more articles by keying in "Secion 179 Business Deduction" on Google.com.

http://taxguide.completetax.com/news/busvehcl.asp
  • caveman4caveman4 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have an opinion about how the X5 performs in deep snow?
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    I think if you look at the beginning of this topic, some folks there were discussing how it performs in snow with the given tires you have.
  • skimmelskimmel Member Posts: 43
    We drove ours in heavy snow last winter (total was about 12-14", but don't know how much when we were on the road) and never got stuck or skidded. I tried a few quick turns in lesser snow and didn't fishtail at all (could hear the brakes applied and power change to prevent skidding).
  • dragonfly238dragonfly238 Member Posts: 7
    Great Forum.

Narrowed down selection to 3.0 X5. Base package.

Does anyone have a trailer hitch on theirs for carrying bikes.

I'm curious if the rear suspension can support 4 mountain bikes (approx 200 pounds including the rack, 2 adult passengers (300 pounds) and luggage (set. 150 pounds).

Specifically will the suspension sink so low that the X5 will catch air in the front.

In Canada, the self-leveling suspension is part of a very expensive option package which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Thanks
  • hobbes974hobbes974 Member Posts: 7
    I've place a deposit for a 2002 X5 3.0 with auto, premium, climate, and xenon light. I got the dealer to knock $300 dollars off MSRP(not known yet since it's a 2002) plus free floor mats. Is this a good deal? If I were to order a 2001 with the exact options today, the MSRP total is $45,120 not including T/L. How much should I expect to pay below MSRP? I like to wait for the 2002, but if the price is good I should just get the 2001. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • donlinodonlino Member Posts: 39
    Anyone try to fit 3 car seats in an X5? I have a 4 year old in a booster seat, a 2 year old and one on the way. Do you think the X5 is too small? Hate the look of minivans. Other possibilities include the Sequoia or M Class. Any comments appreciated.
  • fngofngo Member Posts: 1
    You should be able to get $ 1-1.5 K off MSRP on the 3.0i for either 2001 or 2002.
  • stheodd1stheodd1 Member Posts: 18
    Currently own a 99 Land Cruiser. Am considering a move to the X5. The smaller size and more sporting aspects appeal to me. I am interested if any on the board have done the same thing and the driving impressions both good and bad. Test drives just don't let you know enough about long term relationships.
    Thanks
  • oddjoboxoddjobox Member Posts: 8
    I have always had leather in all of my cars. It may cost more in the beginning but it pays for itself because it doesn't stain. Leather is also more comfortable. I have two young kids and they make a mess in the car, but I just wipe and clean the seats once every couple of weeks and they look as good as new.
    I just purchased a new X5 3.0 fully loaded. The dealer gave me the internet discount, which is $1500 off of the sticker price.
    The X5 I just purchased was fully loaded but with stock 17" tires and wheels. I thought I could save $1200 on the 19" I spoke wheels by ordering them over the internet rather than buying them from the dealer, but that was a mistake. The company I dealt with sent me refurbished wheels with incomplete chrome. Most chrome wheels are chromed in 3 stages and these only had a thin film of chrome on them. I've now learned a lot about chrome wheels. After returning them, I received another set of wheels 4 weeks later with the same problem. Now I may have to go to court to try and collect my full refund from the company. After all this I've decided to get the wheels from the dealer.
    So everybody be careful, good deals aren't always what they seem.
  • hussungdchussungdc Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a new 2001 X-5 3.0 this weekend for $1500 over ivoice. I had a deposit on a 2001 ML320 (MB dealer selling 2001 at invoce), I let my BMW dealer (Louisville) know. He came back to me at $1500 over invoce, which is about $3500 below MSRP. When we went to pick the car up, he tried to tack on a $289 documentation fee...I refused and still bought it at $1500 over invoice.

We too have three small kids (4, 2, 2months) and they all fit great in the back. We had a Ford Expedition...too big. My wife had bruises on her shins from climbing into the back to buckle the kids in...that's why we switched.

FYI our new X-5 has prem pkg, sport pkg, activity pkg, climate pkg, lumbar, dimming mirrors and is white w/tan leather.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Can you by any chance let us know where you got your wheels from that way we won't make the same mistake you do by buying from that place?

Thanks.
    "The success of BMW's venerable 3 Series lineup and the new X5 SUV have vaulted the brand past Lincoln and Mercedes-Benz into second place in the U.S. luxury vehicle market, hot on the heels of first place Lexus."

BMW sales on record pace

Steve
    Host

• agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    Does any one know of the changes that will be made for the 2002 model year.