Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    Does any one know of a good bmw dealer in the northern California area.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    There are several. Depends on where you are looking.
    Does any one know of the changes that will be made for the 2002 model year.
    How much have X5 owners been get able to get off on the price of their X5's.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    no significant changes planned for x5 nor for the mdx -- at least that have been posted. I expect both will be more reliable and some minor improvements. ML will make the most changes.
  • donlinodonlino Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the info. Did you place the infant carrier in the middle?
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    I inquired 2002 model year from an internet sales manager at my local dealer; he said price list should be out sometimes in September where production starts. SAVs should hit dealers around october. He'll call me if the price list is official.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    BMW recalling sport activity vehicles for second time

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• soccerdad3soccerdad3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in the X5, 3.0 with perm pkg, sport pkg, activity pkg, climate pkg, lumbar, dimming mirrors, auto. Will I end up paying MSRP or somewhere in between invoice and MSRP? The dealers in Wisconsin want to sell at MSRP.
    Best I've seen is $1500 under sticker. A few dealers are $1000 under, most want MSRP.
  • wjxwjx Member Posts: 1
    I've ordered an 2002 3.0 X5 at my local(ATL) dealer. The sells guy took $500 off of MSRP and told me they should get 2002 info by this week, if not the next. He also said the cars will be available to the market in the 1st few days in Oct.
  • oddjoboxoddjobox Member Posts: 8
    Look out for AAArims.com. That's all I'm able to say, at this time. I'll probably be taking them to court if I don't get my full refund.
  • x5bmwx5bmw Member Posts: 2
    We have a X5 with nonleather seats and want to buy a sheepskin seatcovers. Which manufacturer makes the best cover. I see numerous ads in the car mags. and I never have bought a sheepskin seatcover.
  • hussungdchussungdc Member Posts: 5
    We put our oldest in the middle (he doesn't need a car seat), the infant carrier on one side and the car seat on the other. It works very well...plenty of room. Obviously our Expedition had more room, but my wife had bruised up shins getting the kids in and out. We've had the X-5 for about 3 weeks and have no regrets.
  • 3literx53literx5 Member Posts: 3
    I've been doing business with East Bay BMW for over 11 years, and they've always treated me fairly. Go thorugh their web site, or talk to Mike Reichstein.

I got sheepskins for my 328 from Bavarian Auto (bavauto.com). They weren't the cheapest, but I have a good fit and little wear after over a year and a half.
  • jma199jma199 Member Posts: 6
    Just after I start my X5 (1,000 miles) the A/C (being set on auto) starts to blow and for the first 5 seconds the air that is coming out stinks terribly. After 5 seconds the smell is completely gone. The smell is a mildew, ammonia odor. I have just noticed it the last 2 weeks. Any one else had this problem? Any suggestions?
  • firstnamefirstname Member Posts: 45
    Is the manual transmission in the 3.0L X5 the same as in the 330Ci?
  • oddjoboxoddjobox Member Posts: 8
    BMW makes nice seat covers for your non leather BMW. Sheeps skins are out of style now. They also smell when they get and old. Just my 2 cents.
  • x5bmwx5bmw Member Posts: 2
    If sheepskins are out, any suggestion for making the seats more comfortable? Thanks for the time!
    A milestone.

Steve
    Host

• topcatonetopcatone Member Posts: 1
    Hello all...I'm configuring a 3.0L, and was wondering about the impact of the Sports package on handling. Does it increase road noise or feel? Is there a noticeable difference? I'll probably get the 5-speed automatic.

Also, is premium octane (91) REALLY required? If I run 87 and there is no knocking will that be ok? Gas here in Calif. is outrageous even using
    unleaded regular.
  • jgnpcjgnpc Member Posts: 1
    Have a X5 3.0L with all the trimmings except the activity pkg... go with the sports pkg... noticeable difference on handling and feel, no more/less road noise here..
    As far as octane? go with the good stuff, better performance, and maybe mileage? avg. 17.5 here and a somewhat heavy foot...
  • stulstul Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at a 2001 X5 3.0 with 9k miles. It has the Auto Trans, Climate, Activity and Prem packages, along with xenon lights and in-dash CD. New, the MSRP is around 46K, including the destination charge. Anybody have any ideas on what I should be willing to pay for a slightly used model? I do not have much experience in negotiating for a used vehicle, so any insight is appreciated. This is in the Phila., area, if that matters.
  • jimprhjimprh Member Posts: 3
    HI ALL X5-ERS

LET ME JUST SAY THAT IF YOU OWN ONE OR ARE LOOKING TO BUY ONE, THEY ARE THE SAFEST SUV WE'VE EVER OWNED!
    JUST THIS PAST JUNE 21.2001 I WAS IN AN ACCIDENT IN MY 2001 X5 V-8. IT WAS ONLY 3 MONTHS OLD AND HAD ONLY 4000 MILES ON IT. AN 18-WHEELER PULLED OUT INFRONT OF ME AND I SLAMMED INTO HIM GOING ABOUT 55 MILES AN HOUR. MY INFANT DAUGHTER WAS IN THE MIDDLES IN THE BACK. THE CAR DID EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS supposed TO DO IN A COLLISION. WE ESCAPED WITHOUT SERIOUS INJURIES, BUT MY POOR BABY X5, ALPINE WHITE/BLACK LEATHER, SPORT PKG. WITH JUST ABOUT EVERY OPTION AVAIL. ON IT WAS TOTALED!!!!!!! I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT IT WAS A TOTAL, BUT EVERYONE WHO SAW IT WAS SURE IT WAS, AND IT WAS all right. EVERYONE THAT SAW MY WRECKED CAR AND EVEN THE PARAMEDICS SAID THAT IN A CRASH LIKE THAT, I WAS LUCKY TO BE IN THAT CAR, ANYTHING ELSE MIGHT HAVE BEEN FATAL.......SCARY THOUGHT. MY FRONT END WAS ACTUALLY UNDER THE 18-WHEELERS CAB! I PUNCTURED HIS DIESEL TANK.
    I HAVE MY 2ND X5 NOW, AND I GOT IT THE EXACT SAME AS BEFORE BUT WITH THE LAST COUPLE OF OPTIONS LEFT ON IT :)
    SO.....BE THANKFUL THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO DRIVE, IN MY OPINION, THE SAFEST SUV ON THE ROAD!
    CRISTY
  • art39art39 Member Posts: 1
    I apologize if this is a repeat question, but I'm interested in folks experience with the 3.0's manual transmission. Seems like most people opt for the automatic. I'm about to purchase a 3.0 and I would prefer the manual but my wife has her doubts.

Thanks!
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    any pics of your X5 after the accident?
    Why yes I have pics, many, but Ive never posted a pic on this site, but Im not sure how to. Any advice?
    Thanks
    There's some pic posting info in the Town Hall Help link over in the left side-bar. You'll need somewhere to host your pics - some free sites (last I checked anyway) are:

http://www.webshots.com
    http://www.ofoto.com
    http://www.picturetrail.com
    http://www.photoworks.com
    http://www.clubphoto.com
    http://www.fototime.com/

Steve
    Host

• frank09frank09 Member Posts: 14
    Now that there is some reasonable availability and discounts available I went f/a test drive today in a 3.0 auto. X5 was oxford grn/tan and I must confess that I found the black dash and steering wheel very disconcerting (it looked strange in the brochure I thought). Also the two brushed aluminum trim strips in the doors looked down right out of place.

Having read many of the msgs on this board I didn't really see any negative comments on this....am I the only one that finds this design strange. Obviously this would match an all black interior just fine :-).

My wife's RX300 has a nice offsetting darker shade of the tan interior on the dash and steering wheel. Having said that, I luv the way it drives...I have been a BMW owner for 25yrs (many models) and a BMCCCA member f/as long.
  • lee700lee700 Member Posts: 7
    Any more data on changes for 02? New colors-improvements ect. Sort of on the fence for a 3.0 X5. I liked the test drive--fun to drive and stable, but a little concerned about the reliability and cost of repairs. (I am a couple of hours away from a dealer). Also I am accustom to the storage space of an Explorer and would have to adapt to the smaller area for hauling stuff around. I also saw what all the bad press was about with the tailgate thing. Not sure the boss would like it for loading groceries ect. Anyone care to share your good or bad experience with your X5?
    HERE IS A LINK TO GO VIEW MY WRECK ALBUM.

<http://community.webshots.com/user/ourbree>
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Satisfies my curiosity. Looks like it did well. Glad everyone is ok.
  • kkelleherkkelleher Member Posts: 9
    Hi everyone...sorry if this question has been asked and answered. I searched for a similar question, but didn't find one. Our '01 X-5's Service Engine Soon light has been on for a few days...I thought it might be a gas-cap problem, so I filled the tank, and securely tightened the cap, but the light remains on. I sometimes have this problem in my Subaru VDC, and when the gas cap is retightend, the light goes off after one or two trips. Not so with the X-5. Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

Kevin
    Have been looking at x5's recently and decided to check rates w/my ins co....wow!! was I suprised to find that the so so-called safest su(a)v on the market is almost double the rate of our 2001
    RX300 Lexus. Anybody else have the same experience w/rates like this?
  • bernard1bernard1 Member Posts: 58
    If all of your lights are out, the "service engine soon" light should come on. It means take it to the dealer for the servicing. This is a part of the free full maintenance warranty.
  • bernard1bernard1 Member Posts: 58
    My 01 X5 cost less to insure than my 99 LX470. Typically the cost of insuring a 30K car (RX300) should be less than insuring a 40K car (X5).
    bernard1...your price spread is quite a bit off, actually the vehicles were similarly priced. The x5 3.0, has a sticker of approx 44k, same as our rx300. My insurance co (USAA) said something to the effect that the BMW rating was a 21 while the Lexus was 17. Maybe something to do w/the #/cost of claims?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Relative insurance costs vary by company as well. FWIW, when we traded our 1988 318ti for a CPO 528i our insurance bill dropped- even though MSRP on the 5er was nearly double that of the ti.
  • alex93alex93 Member Posts: 3

BMW sport-ute recalled 3 more times

September 10, 2001

By Harry Stoffer

-----

The Ford Escape took a beating for having five safety recalls in the first few months after its introduction. Now the BMW X5 is up to nine.

To read more about this topic go to http://63.236.108.16/article.cms?articleId=35806

For news headlines throughout the business day, go to: http://www.automotivenews.com

• lsweet28lsweet28 Member Posts: 10
    Is anyone out there driving a 2002 yet? I'm torn between the ML320 and the X5 3.0. I've driven the 2002 ML320 and like it (not love it). I drove the 2001 X5 an liked it although it did not stop as straight as the ML320 when I stomped on the brakes. I'm concerned about all the recalls and the quality issues.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    According to the NHTSA:

"BMW issued SI Bulletin 64 07 01 yesterday to notify dealers that all models that were recently recalled to replace the auxiliary/cooling fan would be recalled again.

Here is some of the pertinent info from the SI Bulletin:

&#147;SUBJECT
    Recall Campaign 01V-206: Engine Auxiliary/Cooling Fan - E46, E38, E39, E52, E53
    MODEL E46, 3 Series with manual transmission, produced 02/01/2001 up to 06/01/2001
    E38, 7 Series from 11/01/2000 up to 06/30/2001 E39, 5 Series from 01/16/2001 up to 08/31/2001 E52, Z8 from 01/01/2001 up to 08/31/2001
    E53, X5 from 12/18/2000 up to 09/05/2001

NOTE :
    This notification contains important revisions to Recall Campaign 01V-206, Engine Auxiliary /Cooling Fan which has been revised. ALL VEHICLES CAMPAIGNED UNDER THE CURRENT RECALL 01V-206 WILL BE RECALLED AGAIN USING
    THE FOLLOWING, NEW PART NUMBERS:
    · E46 &#150; PN 17 11 7 510 617
    · E39 &#150; PN 64 54 6 921 395
    · E38/E52 &#150; PN 64 54 6 921 383
    · E53 &#150; PN 64 54 6 921 381.

Should a customer who has received a Notification Letter for the Recall 01V-206 request that Recall 01V-206 be performed, proceed with the repairs described in this Service Bulletin.
    This Service Information Bulletin is going to be updated shortly with the full VIN range of the affected vehicles. Customer notification mailings will follow.

SITUATION
    The potential defect involves the engine auxiliary/cooling fan in certain MY 2001 BMW vehicles.
    Fan operation, including variable speed, is electronically controlled. It is possible for the electrical circuitry in the fan control unit to overheat and fail, causing the fan to stop operating. If this were to occur, engine overheating and subsequent engine damage could result if vehicle continues to be operated, despite the warning provided by the coolant temperature gauge.
    In addition, it is possible in some cases for the failure of the electrical circuitry to cause smoldering. In the extreme case, a fire in the fan control unit, which is mounted in the fan and located in the front of the engine compartment, could occur. This could happen either while the engine is running or after the ignition has been switched off since fan may run for up to 11 minutes after engine shutdown.&#148;

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • emersongsemersongs Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone had experience with upgrading the indash CD and/or adding the hitch and cellphone aftermarket. I would appreciate any input.
  • malia3malia3 Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered an '02 X5 in black. My dealer says the exterior metal trim around the windows will be chrome in that I did not order the Sports Package. Yet I have seen black X 5s on the street, which did not appear to have the Sports Package and the window trim was black. Do anyone know for sure what I should expect?
    Expect chrome.
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    malia3,
    if you order 4.4i w/o sport expect chrome, now if you order 3.0i w/o sport they don't even put the trim at all(bare rubber/plastic). Either 3.0i or 4.4i with sport will have the trim painted in black. What you saw was a 3.0i w/o sport from the distance that look like black trim when indeed it was rubber.
  • piercejapierceja Member Posts: 6
    Anyone seeing any 2000-built MY2001 4.4's for sale? What are they running? KBB says I can get $53K. Think so?
  • mdx4funmdx4fun Member Posts: 11
    Which one should I get? The X5 is like $15k more. It is a 4.4i with nav., sport package and Xenon lights.

Any suggestion?
  • mdx4funmdx4fun Member Posts: 11
    After much consideration. Finally, I had decided to lease the X5. Mine is a X5 3.0i, with steptronic transmission, sport package, premium package, climate package, Xenon headlights, navigation system, and cd changer.

This drive is such a fun to drive and it had very good handling.
  • alteriagoalteriago Member Posts: 4
    Congratualtions mdx4fun! Sounds like a great loaded car.

I wish this was a more talkative board. The ML board, for instance, is overflowing with information. Are people happy with their X5? Nobody is really complaining or praising this car what is up?

I know there must be people out there with opinions. Please share them.

Maybe some of you lurkers might answer a few questions for me.

Is the 4.4 worth the extra dough?

Are the comfort 18 way adjustable seats worth it?

Will the new 4.6 replace the 4.4 or be an addition to the line?

I am considering what I perceive as 3 very differnet vehicles, The ML, The X5, Toyota Sequoia. Anybody out there go through the same deliberations? What did you do and why?

Price-Is invoice a dream still or is it a likelihood for a 2002 given the economy, also what is a good price for a 2001 (invoice-10%)??

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • arom1arom1 Member Posts: 13
    Just got my new x5 4.4. Awesome lease deals are to be had at this time. Cant beat the rebate + the money factor. I paid $1000 below invoice in the bay area which is a bad market for deals, so you can probably do better out there.