Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    I think you would be disappointed with X5's cargo space if you need some space back there. My previous car was a 528i and X5 has about the same cargo space as the sedan. The cargo area is not as deep as 528i but it is a bit wider and you can pile items higher. However, rear wheel wells intrude into the cargo area and the slope of the hatch reduce the volume and usefulness of the cargo area. I suppose that's why BMW marketed X5 as a SAV and not a SUV...it certainly lacks some utility.
  • autobrokerautobroker Member Posts: 19
    I agree with "pgill" re reasons for limited storage in the X5. I think that the slope of the hatch creates the biggest problem. Also the actual length of the cargo area (measured as rear seat to hatch door) is very short. There are a lot of options in the mid-size SUV market that would probably work better. But there is nothing that beats driving the X5, well - nothing much!!
  • joyrphjoyrph Member Posts: 2
    knoxville,tn dealership
    2002 x5 3.0i sticker price 47,650 (1000 less agreed to)
    36 month lease 900.00 down
    payment 699.00 /month including taxes etc(659+40)
    cold weather package/premium/rear climate
    automatic,retractable load floor,premium sound
    system
    residual 31449
  • wjc23wjc23 Member Posts: 11
    Laz,

What's your understanding of how good the performance center experience is in SC if you pick up from the factory? Do you know? My dealer says I can either take the one I have purchased, it's currently being routed to Atlanta from SC but is delayed b/c of the weather, or I can order one and pick up in SC and do the performce center.

BMW web site is somewhat informative but doesn't explain how long the day lasts. Sounds pretty cool though.
  • lazuralazura Member Posts: 43
    wjc23,
    I have heard good things about the Performance Center experience. I will be taking my first trip in March for my X5. As far as I recall, the trip takes all day, but BMW pays for everything (except air fare). The BMW plant is quite modern, so just the tour of the plant would be worth it for people like myself who are used to the old Detroit filthy auto plants. Plus, you will get to drive a vehicle on their test track!
  • legran22legran22 Member Posts: 6
    My wife has gotten the bug for an X5is to replace our 528i when the lease runs out in July. Has anyone had any experience with these both from the driving standpoint and from the purchase and/or lease standpoint. They seem incredibly expensive for an extra 40 or so horsepower. Any help out there?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I attended the 4.6is press launch and got to keep one for ten days. In my opinion, it's worth every penny. It comes fully equipped, so the only options are NAV, rear side airbags, and the retractable load floor. If you option out a 4.4i with all the equipment that comes standard on the 4.6is, the actual price difference is less than $10,000. I took a 4.4i on the ALCAN 2000 Winter Rally and while I liked it OK, the 4.6is just strikes me as being a LOT more fun. IMHO, that more than justifies the extra $$$.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    First Drive: 2002 BMW X5 4.6is

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    Just picked up a grille guard for my X5. The dealer printed out the installation instructions for me but wouldn't print the bumper removal and installation instructions. Any idea where I can come up with these as I don't want to destroy the skin taking it off and on. Thanks
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    Since recently selling my 740i I have been on BMW withdrawal. You see I have always had at least one (most of the time two) beamer in my driveway for the last 10 years, but now my daily driver is a Jaguar XJR, my wife drives a Lexus GS430, and our suv is an Acura MDX. I would be more than willing to part with my Acura, and get a 4.6i, I am going to price one out on-line right now. Any info on the wait for one, or price increases (due to demand) would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Matt
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I've heard of dealer mark ups of $6000-$10000. OTOH, most dealers I've talked with are just asking MSRP. BTW, beemers=BMW bikes, bimmers=BMW automobiles. :)
  • rosadoc76rosadoc76 Member Posts: 1
    Ms. Liz Kim

Your over stated comments concerning the lack of off-road ability the family of BMW X5's offer is simply a tune that I am tired of listening to. Americans today hardly use the 4x4 "SUV" for anything other than on-road use. The X5 is desgned to German perfection, taking the useability of the SUV frame and the fire of the BMW engineering to the max. Let us all bow to the Bimmer!
    I bought a X5 4.4i for $56k and change. After everything, it was about $500 under MSRP. Which is fine by me. It has the premium package, rear climate package, cold weather, and sport package. Also got the navigation. Love the car, I think it will replace my jag, I forgot how much I LOVE BMW.
    Matt
    It is black on black
  • pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    I noticed intermitten fan noise in my 2001 X5 4.4i when I have the heater at the lowest setting. I pointed this out to a service advisor and she said it's coming from a fan that cools down the fuses. Is this normal? I never noticed this noise on my 1999 528i or my in-law's 1999 740i.
  • surfer8surfer8 Member Posts: 2
    I'm ordering a 2002 BMW X5 4.4. I'm going to order the Sport Package and I wanted to upgrade to the 19 x 9 inch performance wheels (19 x 10 in the rear) but the dealer is saying that they are terrible for the snow and that I should stay with the 18 x 8.5 wheels. Anyone have any experience with the larger performance wheels in the snow. We don't go often but we do go up to the mountains 2-3 times per year. No off road stuff but we do have snow covered paved roads. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    No personal exsperience, but if the dealer is giving up an oppurtunity to make money, then chances are they really arn't so great.
  • ereasyereasy Member Posts: 1
    Could someone tell me if I am getting a fair deal on the following X5 lease or do I need to continue shopping: X5 3.0 (MSRP $46570),36 mths, 15K/year, $3000 out of pocket, $575/month incl. 7% tax. Cap. cost is $2000 over invoice.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Looks pretty good. That's a real good selling price also.
  • ivan_gottaivan_gotta Member Posts: 1
    I am just DYING to get my hands on a 4.6is X5. My Rover and my Jag just don't do it for me anymore. A Lexus or Acura? puh-leez. I'm down to only 1 Bimmer now, my 750iL, the fewest I've ever had, and I need to get my X5 before I go crazy!! I like the black, of course, the COOLEST. BTW, bimmer=cars, beemer=bikes, boomer=pickups, bammer=vans.
  • troyy2ktroyy2k Member Posts: 91
    Edmunds is listing a subsidized lease for the x5 in S. California, as follows: 36 months @ 419 a month with 2500 down. You can go to the "incentives and rebates" section to check it out. Is this realistic?
    ----------------
    2002 X5 Customer Lease

Special lease on 2002 X5

Start Date: 01/03/2002 End Date: 02/28/2002

Year Style Monthly Payment Term
    (Months) Down Payment Security Deposit Acq. Fee Annual Mileage Capitalized Cost Residual % Customer Cash Dealer Cash Find a Local Dealer
    2002 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M) $419 36 $2500 $450 $525 10000 $39,545 66% NA NA Local Dealer

Restrictions: None.
  • carguy911carguy911 Member Posts: 6
    Hey! I'm in the market for a new BMW X5 3.0i. I plan to order one with the following pkgs/options: premium, cold weather, climate, ret. cargo flr, dimming mirrors, nav, auto trans - on bmw website MSRP = $48,550. I live in the NY area. In general, are dealers fairly negotiable? What price would be fair? Does anyone know a fair lease deal?

Advice would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
  • jammylingjammyling Member Posts: 7
    Hi all, i must admit, i've found this board to be quite entertaining and educational. My X5 3.0 is coming in a month earlier than expected, but no worries, I'm really excited and hope the SAV lives up to all my expectations and then some! I'm paying $583/month @ 42 months, 15k miles, 0 down (other than initial fees totaling $1900), black on black with navi, prem pkg,auto,cold wthr pkg, rear clmt pkg, trunk cd changer...and even "free mats" =P
    i feel i got a great deal considering all quotes mentioned on this board. I highly recommend Open Road BMW if you live in the metro NJ/NYC area, salesman has been very helpful.
    i'll keep everyone posted and please keep this board flowing!!!!
  • sjbettesjbette Member Posts: 11
    could you give me more details about your lease. what is your residual, for example.
    i am in the middle of finding a good deal.
    thanks.
  • ty39ty39 Member Posts: 23
    I am interested in buying a 3.0 X5 and would like to know from present owners: What are your 'likes' and 'dislikes' about the X5. Is the limited space enough of a disappointment to send you back to a Tahoe or MDX...etc.
    From all the posts that I have read, the issue seems to be, "Did I get a good deal" or "where can I buy/or lease a X5 near invoice?" No matter the savings, the X5 is still expensive, so I want to know if you would buy another one in spite of cargo capacity and any other pertinent comments about the X5 that would 'assist' me and others whether to buy the X5 or say the Acura MDX. Thanks.
  • ty39ty39 Member Posts: 23
    PS Is the X5 a vehicle you enjoy driving 500-700 miles in one day or is it, at its 'best' in the suburbs. It looks like a great vehicle, but like I mentioned earler, tell me some of these 'things' about the X5, only because the dealer won't let me drive it for a week or so. I read this 'post' and my previous 'post' and you can see that space seems to be my concern. Or is the X5 so much better than any other SUV/SAV that I should buy it and 'FED-X' my excess cargo!
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I'm continually amazed at what a great all around vehicle my X5 3.0 is. It is an excellent highway vehicle, a very relaxed and comfortable cruiser that effortlessly consumes massive amounts of highway. It has plenty of carrying capacity for our needs although I could see where that might not the case for other people. That split fold rear seat really comes in handy when expanded carrying capactity is needed. I absolutely love the way the X handles, the layout and quality of the interior, the performance and economy of the 3.0 - it's all good. I can't recommend the X5 highly enough, it really has nothing in common with any other SUV - hence the SAV designation.
  • gotechgotech Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering an x5 4.4. I've read some not-so-flattering reviews of the NAV system. Does anyone have it? Is it worth it?

Thanks.
  • gotechgotech Member Posts: 2
    The brochure I have (and BMW's website) says that 18 inch wheels come with the sport package on the 4.4, and 19 are optional. Snow is not a problem, but I will pull the boat with the 4.4.

Are the 19 inch wheels a worthy upgrade? Do they increase performance and road feel, or are they just a 'cool factor' upgrade?
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    The ride is harsher with 19" wheel but you gain a little more cornering stability(more rubber to asphalt). I also like the 19" for look compare to 18" style74, they are not the same as the 18" sport wheels on 3.0i.
    So make sure you see and take it for a pin before you buy.
  • cisco4440cisco4440 Member Posts: 10
    Been reading the links, very enjoyable so thus far. I've recently placed my order 2/5/2002 for '02 3.0; when can I expect to receive the car?

And is there a discount if one opts for the Performance Center Delivery? I understand BMW gives an additional price break for the European Delivery.

Thank you.
    Just curious
    What is dealer cash, there is no mention of this on Edmunds for 2002 X5 3.0?

And does this apply to a buy or leased?
    Is a rebate to the dealer. It does not apply to the X-5 as far as I know.
  • chemikechemike Member Posts: 1
    My new X5 with 1547 mi. driven,went down with an apparent mysterious electrical fault that makes the lights stay on and the engine inoperable, unless the battery terminal is disconnected. Seven days at the dealer and no clue!! Does anybody has experience the same or has an idea?
  • joeg12joeg12 Member Posts: 5
    Any thoughts from the group on X5 3.0 pricing. The best offer I have had so far is $1000 under MSRP.
  • ferrariguyferrariguy Member Posts: 2
    First off, let me say I love a deal, and searching for a deal. But I've come to the conclusion that BMW is not hurting in selling cars.

Just returned from the BMW dealer 2 hours ago after discussing X5 Lease pricing. The edmunds lease incentive deal of $419/month for 36 months with $2500 down on a stripped X5 seems unobtainable. According to edmunds, residual is 66% for 10K miles. Dealers agree to this. Acquistion fee in my area of California is $725, not $525 per edmunds. The lease interest rate is 4.92% (divide by 2400 to get the lease factor 0f .00205). Kelly Book (kbb.com)also has this as the interest rate. And the BMW dealer said the BMW was kicking in $1000. He even showed me the sheet so I could check the math.

But no one will make this deal here.

$1000 off MSRP should be doable for all deals since BMW is paying it, not the dealer. Lease factors are negoiable, but no one is offering 4.92%, claiming that is the dealer buy price. Kelly Blue has a second incentive interest rate at 6.75% (.00281), which you can get.

Just getting under the lease price quoted on BMW.com has been time consuming. This car is still hot. There are over 10 BMW dealers within a 1 hour drive, but no one has more than 2-4 X5 3.0s and no one seems interested is deeply discounting them. My research has a car in the low $47K running $550-$560/month for 36 months with $2500 (ouch) down.

The only upside is that the Acura MDX is even worse for bargin hunters here, even when you work your way past the 200 people the acura dealer told me were on the waiting list.
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Which part of Cal are you located? In S. Cal dealers are over stock with X5. I would see rolls and rolls of X5.

The $525 acquistion fee is corrected as of Oct last year if you lease your car from BMW Financial.

Good Luck.
    There's no such thing as a stripped BMW, they advertise it but there are never any available, espescially an X-5.

And the SoCal dealers may have some inventory, but they're still not giving the cars away.
  • ferrariguyferrariguy Member Posts: 2
    I live in Silicon Valley (San Jose). Apparently, there's not as many failed dot coms as the press lead you to believe.

Raybear, you're right, stripped BMWs don't exist on dealers lots. I did find a X5 at $43K MSRP that had a sale sign of $2K off MSRP. But it is pretty sparse inside and the salesman said they were discounting it because it didn't have many options and did not appeal to many buyers. When I asked for the same $2K off on the one with premium and sport package he said no.

If the car is trading at near sticker, then fine, that's what I will end up paying. I saw today in the paper that I can get a Chevy Avalanche for $9000 off MSRP, but I don't want one of those. The great deal will just have to wait.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I got a heck of a deal on my 2001 X5 3.0 last November with Premium, Climate, Xenons, CD, etc. The dealer was willing to negotiate back then, but not now. I went with a friend to put a deal together on an X5 3.0 this past Saturday and the same dealer I got mine at would not budge an inch on MSRP, totally a take it or leave it deal.
  • chowrchowr Member Posts: 11
    I had done extensive research on the MDX and ML320 and the X5 had not even been a consideration. With that said, I leased a X5 3.0 this weekend with the deal they are currently promoting. I got it as stripped down as possible, base with auto,moonroof and cold weather pkg for $399/mo and they took my 96 Jeep as down payment. I have to say I thought the MDX was THE car but I am loving every minute of my new X5. The MDX looks excellent on paper (price and with what it comes with) but it doesn't give you the same driving satisfaction as a BMW can. Good luck to all you out there still deciding.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-01/index.html

A Light off-road event in Southern New Jersey! Come enjoy the trails!

-mike

I placed a downpayment for a '02 X5 Steel Gray from a dealer last week on Feb 4. Does anyone know what should be the average turn around time for the dealer to notify me with the Production Number. I'm dying to tell my friends by showing them the Owners Website?

TIA
  • chowrchowr Member Posts: 11
    Sorry if this was hashed out before but does anyone have info regarding problems with the key seat settings. At first I thought that I just didn't know how to program or use the key correctly but after getting a new X53.0 on Sunday I brought it into the dealer today b/c everytime I lock and unlock my car the seat, mirrors and steering goes to a completely different setting and has a mind of it's own. Kinda annoying b/c that means everytime I get into the car I need to readjust everything. Any help here is appreciated.
  • peterd320peterd320 Member Posts: 13
    I'm getting ready to ink a deal on a 02 X5 3.0, I really want to get the sport pkg. the issue: is the ride difference minor or very noticible than the non-sport, dealers in the area have no X5 w/ sport in stock for a test drive. I'm in the northern NJ area, any feedback on the dealers in the area, I'm more interested in the quality of service of the dealer, any feedback on this two concerns will be appreciated. We are looking at a X5 3.0, auto, premium, rear climate, sport & xenon. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, Pete D.
    I also lived in northern NJ, dealers in the area have the almighty attitude of take it or leave it. Most are not really giving great deals anyways. Since pricing from all of them seems equal, find one that will guarantee you a BMW service loaner, no matter what. Park AVE gives out cheap Ford cars. I'd heard Prestige is pretty good.

What kind of deal did you get? Just curious.
    And don't fall for the sales pitch of "you'll get a service loaner for everything". What they forget to say is NOT with scheduled maintenances like your first oil change. I got stuck waiting for 4 hours for my car to be return at Park Ave.
  • standcstandc Member Posts: 2
    I live in the San Franciso Bay Area and I am shopping for the 4.4i. It seems like this car is in extreme short supply in the area and I was told that if I sign up now I am looking into a March Production, May delivery car. I am wondering if anyone knows of a 4.4i that's available immediately in CA? And secondly, I really appreciate any discount information, dealer incentives or recent purchase experience anyone can share with me here.

Thanks a lot!
    I don't have any current information but the dealer sounds like he's telling the truth. Don't count on cashing in on dealer incentives or big discounts in California, they're selling all they've got.
  • jagzbimmerjagzbimmer Member Posts: 17
    Hello.

I just picked up my new X5 today (Factory Order -12/18/01, arrived 2/14/02; Auto, Cold Weather Pkg). $479/mo., 36 mos., 10k/yr, 66% Residual, .0015 M/F, $2000 TOP.

This is one terrific vehicle (my first bimmer). Contrary to what you hear and read, this SAV is roomy. Previously owned a 99 JGC Laredo V8. Did not have nearly as much interior room. Fit and finish is superb; better than any other vehicle I researched. Also considered GM Triplets, RX300, and QX4. None even came close to the X5. Inline 6 is as smooth as it gets; acceleration is excellent, and performance far better than JGC V8.

I've read many of these posts over the past several months. I agree with Shipo regarding Prestige BMW. I got my BMW at Prestige on 17S in NJ. This dealership is kind, courteous, and very helpful. It was the single best car buying experience I've ever had. Old car lease was due 2/18/02 and I got the car today. It doesn't get much better than that!

peterd320 - I also considered the Sport Pkg., but decided against it b/c a. too pricey, and b. suspension is stiffer and not really good in inclement weather. I also live in northern NJ.

I look forward to being a part of the group going forward.