Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems

1353637383941»

Comments

• mkonruffmkonruff Member Posts: 1
    While on her way home from work my wife's 2002 Chrysler town & country stopped shifting. First, it is really hard to pull out of park, when it does come out, reverse doesn't work. When you select drive, it :sick: will move foreward until it shifts out of first gear, at which point it goes to neutral and the van coasts to a stop. If you shut it off and start it again it will do the same thing. Please help me, any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
  • reonreon Member Posts: 19
    Guessing it's a motor mount problem.
  • ancnehlsancnehls Member Posts: 2
  • ancnehlsancnehls Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2006 Grand Caravan SXT with the 3.8 liter engine and just under 160,000 miles. When accelerating to highway speed the transmission does not want to shift until the RPM's get really high, if then. Sometimes you have to lift your foot off the accelerator to get it to shift. Also, when the cruise control is on the engine races to climb moderate hills and the van still loses speed. Any suggestions would be helpful. I saw one post from a while back suggesting speed sensors. Any thoughts?
  • mcfarmanmcfarman Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the world of forums so please forgive me if I get this wrong. A year ago my daughter reported a non shifting issue while driving at highway speeds as it appeared to be stuck in a lower gear and RPM's were quite high. I read about the sticking solenoid possibility (I think that's what it was called) and decided to try the fluid and filter change as an easy fix. This was accomplished and I had no further issues (although I hopefully used the correct fluid after reading a few of these posts!)

My current issue, which started a few weeks ago, happens mainly at take off when the engine/transmission hesitates with slight throttle, making it difficult to take off smoothly, and at low speeds when cruising at steady speed the vehicle will surge forward and back like the transmission can't decide whether or not coast or apply power. It's like a rubber band stretching back and forth. The problem goes away with steady acceleration, and at highway speeds, since there seems to be more of a constant load being applied.

I've had my share of niggling issues with the van, most of which I've been able to deal with with the help of the internet. For what it's worth my previous 1997 Caravan was less problematic and went 180,000 with only basic maintenance (never touched the transmission!) so I'm hopeful this one will keep going another 90,000 (93,000 and counting..).

Thanks!
  • roentgeeproentgeep Member Posts: 18
    I wrote this here (my bad), now I write that here:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1d5552/33?@guest@#MSG33

Sep 03, 2013 (7:32 am)
    My 2009 Town & Country seems that the tranny is slipping, you go on the gas pedal and no power and only the RPM go faster. Id good like to check the tranny oil, but....
    With an scanner you can find some codes about tranny?
    Are there any other thing to do?

Sep 03, 2013 (3:31 pm)
    One of my first questions was if an scanner can read transmission codes? and in that way know if it is slipping or has any other issue?

Sep 04, 2013 (6:18 am)
    So I dont know what to do: the fact its that the van sometimes works as normal and sometimes the tranny seems to slip, so IDK; thats the reason Im asking here the possibilities that are producing the issue.

I read a little of this thread and I think that a solenoid could be the culprit, could it be?

Thanks in advance.
  • joepeterson56joepeterson56 Member Posts: 95
    It could definitely be 1 or more solenoids are either sticking or have failed. You can get transmission codes from most newer vehicles if the scanner & vehicle are set up to give those. You can go to most autoparts stores like autozone or pepboys & they will read the codes out for you.
  • flip007flip007 Member Posts: 1
    Trans works fine until you slow to a stop, it then bangs into 1st gear. Just changed fluid and filter. It still does it! Any suggestions!
  • joepeterson56joepeterson56 Member Posts: 95
    You can try running seafoam tranny treatment in it for a week, then do a second drain and fill & filter replacement. Only use Chrysler 4 tranny fluid. One of the plastic solenoids is more then likely gummed up or failing.
  • annfromjerseyannfromjersey Member Posts: 38
    Having the same issues with my 2008. My transmission "jumps" all the time when at a low speed. The dealership can never find a problem and blamed my driving habits.
  • yukonvanyukonvan Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 2002 Chrysler town n country that is doing the exact same thing as your van. I'm wondering if you found out what was wrong? We are trying to figure it out as well...
  • kmf13kmf13 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for an update on this. My 2008 Town & Country is doing the same thing for past few weeks, yet the check engine light is NOT coming on and dealership says no codes are showing in the system. Wants to bill me $98 diagnostic fee since they can't prove there is a problem to treat under warranty...so they want me to pay even though they've done nothing to try to fix it. Suggestions?
  • cbaccus1cbaccus1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 T&C was jumping from 1st to 2nd and I took it in for the 60 month inspection. They didn't find anything wrong with it. Now it grinds when going from 1st to 2nd and when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. Also at speeds less than 10mph it grinds the entire time. This is whether it is in automatic or autostick. I will try to post an update on Monday or Tuesday, when they let me know what they will do. I hope it is covered under the lifetime powertrain warranty.
  • gfcarlgfcarl Member Posts: 2
    Our new van has a noise that occurs at 18mph when slowing down. After multiple visits to the dealer, it was determined that the redesigned, square cut gears are the culprit. When asked what can be done to get rid of this nuisance, we have been told NOTHING CAN BE DONE. I am totally disappointed in Chrysler for not letting a customer be aware of the noise at time of purchase since nothing can be done to correct this design defect. I would have looked at other options if I had been given an honest response. Now I have a vehicle that has a persistent, irritating noise that should not be there yet nothing can be done to correct it. Not the quality that I had hoped for.
  • gfcarlgfcarl Member Posts: 2
  • jaxxx12345jaxxx12345 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Plymouth Voyager 3.3L V6 with 327k miles on it, with the original transmission. I just returned from a 3 month 13k roadtrip in which i experienced 0 automotive problems.

This morning while driving to work at about 35mph, there were 2 noticeable bangs in the transmission separated by about 3 seconds. RPMs quickly went to 0 and almost immediately after i lost all power steering function. There was a small puddle of transmission fluid beneath the car as well. The car is now unable to engage any gears including park or reverse and the only thing keeping it in place is the emergency break.

I checked the transmission fluid afterwards and it is still in the acceptable range and the color is still normal so it is not leaking anymore fluid. The power steering fluid is full as well.

This was the first really cold day of the year, about 18 degrees, so I would think that may have played a role.

My initial thinking is that the Van is likely seen her last day on the road, but I am wondering if there could possibly be a simple and relatively inexpensive fix that would not require me to replace the entire transmission or get ripped off by a mechanic. Perhaps a relay, busted hose, or a gasket?

Any suggestions are welcome.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

have you checked for a busted axle?

• wroses1519wroses1519 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 Grand Caravan SXT it has 86,000 miles. It is making a whinng / humming noise, is this my transmission?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Gee, it's hard to diagnose a noise over the internet! First thing I'd do is lift the hood with the engine running in neutral and have someone race the engine a bit to see if the noise is actually coming from a pulley, belt or accessory, like the alternator.