Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    stickguy said:

for those following my saga, I know only have 1 car of my own (2 in family counting my wife's). The TL has moved on to a new home.

as I suspected, when someone finally came to look, they would realize it was better than the usual crap in the price range, and pull out a bunch of Benjamins and take it home with them. And that is what happened.

relieved to have trimmed the fleet. Now, if someone does show up and wants the Volvo, I could be down to none. And we all know what that means.

That'a boy!

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    When I ordered my 2015 Outback in August the dealer estimated an early October delivery. With today being October I decided to ring Subaru and see if a VIN had been assigned, and the service rep gave me a surprise with an estimated delivery date of October 3. Wahoo! I certainly wasn't expecting delivery this week given the delays with Eyesight equipped models.

So, I called my friendly salesman to check in and remind him I don't want the front bumper drilled for a license plate nor any dealer badging attached. He assured me he remembered my instructions, and then casually mentioned that, "oh, by the way, your car was delivered today. I was literally looking up your phone number when you called so I could let you know."

Edit: wow, that's odd. Edmunds cut off half my message. At any rate, we pick up the new ride Friday after clear bra is installed tomorrow. I'll post more later.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2014
    tyguy said:
    When I ordered my 2015 Outback in August the dealer estimated an early October delivery. With today being October I decided to ring Subaru and see if a VIN had been assigned, and the service rep gave me a surprise with an estimated delivery date of October 3. Wahoo! I certainly wasn't expecting delivery this week given the delays with Eyesight equipped models. So, I called my friendly salesman to check in and remind him I don't want the front bumper drilled for a license plate nor any dealer badging attached. He assured me he remembered my instructions, and then casually mentioned that, "oh, by the way, your car was delivered today. I was literally looking up your phone number when you called so I could let you know." Edit: wow, that's odd. Edmunds cut off half my message. At any rate, we pick up the new ride Friday after clear bra is installed tomorrow. I'll post more later.

You are going to love that Oitback with all those goodies.  Nice surprise that the car is in.  Should be an exciting weekend for you and the family.  ENJOY!

2021 Genesis G90

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    @tyguy‌

That's awesome news! You guys are going to LOVE your Outback! So far, I'm happy with my 2015 Legacy. It will be interesting to see how our ownership experiences parallel each other.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    mako1a said:

Sales story (if you count TVs and Tractors.

First the Plasma crapped out on Sunday, after 8 1/2 years of flawless performance, so we took it to the dump and got a new Vizio 60 inch LED. (should have kept the Toshiba speakers as they were good). Now I need surround sound to make up for the poor Vizio speakers. Then today we had a new dish and receiver with HD installed which we like a lot.
    Then I called on a tractor I've been bidding on for a while on ebay which expired (reserve not met). We agreed on a price including delivery from NC. When he got here I said I need more room in the garage since the tractor has a blade on front so he agreed to take my Polaris quad in trade along with $5.450 cash. Now the roll bar hits the garage door so I have to get a portable welding guy to shorten the bar about 3 inches. It's in the garage, but I'm afraid to back it out as going in just pushed the door up and backing out will tear the door out of the tracks. Oh well...you'll have that.

Mako....digging on your new tractor. Don't chop it. Hell, I'd weld a wing on that thing. ;)

Stick....congrats on selling the TL.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    edited October 2014

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited October 2014
    Car companies and the secret warranties: IIRC I mentioned these before in our discussion about other cars and recalls.

Via Columbus Dispatch:
    "Most of the time, unadvertised warranties are special extensions of existing warranties that automakers provide in response to a high number of service calls for certain components. Sometimes, the actions are in response to litigation.
    "Unlike with a product recall, the companies do not need to notify consumers. Some automakers do notify and some don’t.
    "Customers need to find out about the programs on their own, or leave it to a dealership’s service department to realize that a certain repair is covered. You might be out of luck if you take the vehicle to an independent repair shop.
    "Most automakers have one or two of these warranty extensions.
    "Honda has at least six, an unusually high number. That includes Honda’s Acura brand."

The Dispatch suggested asking the dealer to run the VIN occasionally to keep up on any hidden recalls.
    Even with a new car.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Congrats to all those with new cars here. It's making me think since it's been 6 months since my new car maybe I should think about another one.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Congrats to all those with new cars here. It's making me think since it's been 6 months since my new car maybe I should think about another one.

I am sure your wife doesn't mind "thinking about a new car," but may not appreciate if you put those dangerous "thoughts" into action!

2021 Genesis G90

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    Iwas just sent this email that many gas stations now have E15 (ethanol made from corn oil) and this gas can ruin your engine. 5 car companies will void your warranty if you use this highly corrosive fuel in any car built before 2012.

Do not use E15 gas - which is now available in many states.
    It was on FOX news, so must be true!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

tyguy said:

Wahoo! I certainly wasn't expecting delivery this week given the delays with Eyesight equipped models.

casually mentioned that, "oh, by the way, your car was delivered today. I was literally looking up your phone number when you called so I could let you know."

Good news Ty........October 3rd is like tomorrow.

abacomike said:

@driver100:

have your dealership update the contract to include the VIN number (which we know they have by now) and an approximate delivery date.  That way, you have a contract for a specic car which makes it a more precise contract.

Thanks Mike. They have given me the VIN number of the car. I think our consumer laws are pretty strong here especially regarding cars. I don't think there are many complaints about new car buyers doing a switcheroo. This is probably the most expensive MB dealership in North America, I don't think they will fool around....hope those aren't famous last words. The deal was fair to them, so they would be crazy to mess it up, and I do have a VIN number.

edited October 2014
    driver100 said:

That's sounding dangerously like a political comment needing
    a response.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

imidazol97 Resist the itch and wait for the Cadillac CT6.

By the way, what's with all these blue colors on vehicles posted here. Is blue the new red? I saw a blue Ford F-150 XLT yesterday and that was a stunner. And Ford built tough too; I wonder if the new aluminium aluminum truck will be as tough.

bwia said:

imidazol97 Resist the itch and wait for the Cadillac CT6.

By the way, what's with all these blue colors on vehicles posted here. Is blue the new red?

Well, here's a white car. It's a photoshop based on a spy photo using some other info about the shape. The wheels, the hood are guestimates and out of proportion to my eye. But the vehicle looks like lots of passenger room. From GMauthority:

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384

driver100 said:

a response.

Relax. Let a gentle dig be a gentle dig.

2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    fezo said:

driver100 said:

a response.

Exactly! ;)

edited October 2014
    driver100 said:

fezo said:

driver100 said:

a response.

Exactly! ;)

I'l have to start putting in some gentle digs. Expect. :grin

See? That's more like it...... :D
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    edited October 2014

driver100 said:

fezo said:

driver100 said:

a response.
    youtube.com/embed/ceW9Nc1hVHU?feature=player_detailpage

Exactly! ;)

I'l have to start putting in some gentle digs. Expect. :grin

I'd really like to know if the information is true! It was a gentle dig because i really don't know...it sounds serious....you will void your warranty from 10 manufacturers if you use E15 gasoline. They said this gas is available in many states. It will ruin your gaskets and other engine parts if used. This was on TV as a news story. If anyone has good knowledge I would appreciate hearing back

E15 Gas voids warranty on many cars!

• nelsonfnelsonf Member Posts: 104
    "It's in the garage, but I'm afraid to back it out as going in just pushed the door up and backing out will tear the door out of the tracks. Oh well...you'll have that."

Let the air out of the back tires, and back it out slowly. Might give you enough clearance.

Nelson

Currently own: 2017 BMW M4, 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

• nelsonfnelsonf Member Posts: 104
    "Car companies and the secret warranties: IIRC I mentioned these before in our discussion about other cars and recalls. "

It's true. When I had my VW R32, I got a letter in the mail saying that VW was extending the factory warranty on the dual clutch transmission to 10 years from the original 5 years I believe it was.

Currently own: 2017 BMW M4, 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

Don't know about the rules of individual companies but the less ethanol the better.

Meanwhile, what's up with Kia and I don't know who else has made a spare tire - a donut - an option? They saves 43 pounds but what if you get something other than a small puncture. They give you a little pump and a can of fix-a-flat - just the thing to invalidate your tire's warranty.
    Didn't they take spares out of BMW's? This has been mentioned before and I think there are some cars where the base model may have the spare as an option while higher level models have the spare as standard.

In reality, the chances of getting a flat tire quickly are less and less. With more cars having digital readouts for the tire pressures, a typical nail in the tire will give warning with slowly dropping pressure. I tell my son to check the tire pressures every time he starts the car he has at college.

It's rare to have a blowout unless you have the very thin sidewall tires. Rare, but not totally unlikely. I see why some companies have removed the spare. But if I were making a trip across Kansas or areas with long distances between civilization and sometimes poor cell tower reception, I would certainly want my spare tire.

I haven't used the spare on my last 3 cars. I have had nails. I have had slow leaks due to rim corrosion. But I made sure my '14 Malibu came with a donut spare.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Fezo, that is one of my hot buttons (pet peeve?) Run flats are bad enough, but normal ties and an "inflation kit" is nuts IMO. Having to wait for a tow with any flat, and quite possibly being stranded instead of able to limp home (or someplace safer). Hyundai I know has the tire as an extra cost option, which I would get and be annoyed paying for something that should just come standard.

some cars though don't even have the space for it. The new Acura TLX is like that I think. I know it has the kit, and don't think it has space for a tire. The S60 volvo might be doing it too.

VW and Subaru, you get a tire. And I think a full size rim (just skinnier). When I test drive, looking for the tire is one of the first thing I do.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

Fezo, that is one of my hot buttons (pet peeve?) Run flats are bad enough, but normal ties and an "inflation kit" is nuts IMO. Having to wait for a tow with any flat, and quite possibly being stranded instead of able to limp home (or someplace safer). Hyundai I know has the tire as an extra cost option, which I would get and be annoyed paying for something that should just come standard.

some cars though don't even have the space for it. The new Acura TLX is like that I think. I know it has the kit, and don't think it has space for a tire. The S60 volvo might be doing it too.

VW and Subaru, you get a tire. And I think a full size rim (just skinnier). When I test drive, looking for the tire is one of the first thing I do.

The 2015 Mustang offers a spare as an extra cost option. Wave of the future.

I've only had flats on cars with really rusty rims. Slow leaks which go flat over night in the driveway. Pump 'em up and off I go.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2014
    Hm, got the current van in May, newer Michelins on it. Two flats on it...so far. The TPMS gave me enough notice to drive ~8 miles to a tire shop the second time. The first one just went down fast and I had to struggle with the spare. But at least I had one (really should have just called for a tow). Nails both times.
    last flat I had was on the highway, at night, when I think I caught some shrapnel in the sidewall. By the time I got pulled off, the tire was shredded. No amount of fix a flat was helping that! At least I could put the donut on and get to a hotel and next day tire store. Without that, I would have been dead in a minimart parking lot, in boonyville, waiting for a truck to drop me someplace that I could not move from.

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    So if I were to trade the 2013 Mustang for a 2015, just before leaving the lot I take out my spare key and move the old spare into the new car. My guess is the sales guy would be looking out the window and letting it happen just to get me over the curb.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

stever said:

Hm, got the current van in May, newer Michelins on it. Two flats on it...so far. The TPMS gave me enough notice to drive ~8 miles to a tire shop the second time. The first one just went down fast and I had to struggle with the spare. But at least I had one (really should have just called for a tow). Nails both times.

I have a $20 air pump from Harbor Freight that plugs into auxiliary power on the car and pumps the tire back up. The last two times my low tire alarm went off on '03, I just pulled in, checked pressure to see which tire was low (couldn't tell by sidewall) and pumped her back up. It'd be nicer to have the individual tire pressure gauges like my Cobalt and Malibu have.

mako1a said:

So if I were to trade the 2013 Mustang for a 2015, just before leaving the lot I take out my spare key and move the old spare into the new car. My guess is the sales guy would be looking out the window and letting it happen just to get me over the curb.

well, I would bet that if you took the tire and jack out and left them in your garage before going to the dealer, they would never know you had decided to keep the spare as a souvenir.

edited October 2014
    I carry a pump, but it's an older Black and Decker with more oomph that the two HF ones I've owned (actually one was DOA and trashed). But it couldn't keep up with the air loss on the first flat - maybe if I had made my wife walk alongside the van continuously rotating the cord to the power outlet and the air hose, it would have worked. :D

Individual gauges would be nice but I'm mostly just thrilled to have a newer ride with the TPMS period. Be nice to have the system that Nissan and someone else has where the horn blows when you hit the correct pressure while inflating the tires. Either that or I'm going to have to get one of those digital gauges that I can read without a magnifying glass.
    FYI Someone did some research about E15 gas. Seems it is a problem but not as much as stated by....you know who? It probably won't ruin your car...though the use of corn as fuel seems to be a big mistake.
    SNOPES report about E15 GAS

About BMW and spares. BMWs have Run Flat tires, the tires shouldn't go flat for 60 miles or so, so you should be able to get to a garage. What I don't like is if you get a flat on a holiday weekend and can't get a replacement tire. That is one reason I looked at Mercedes and Audi.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    driver100 said:

I'd really like to know if the information is true! It was a gentle dig because i really don't know...it sounds serious....you will void your warranty from 10 manufacturers if you use E15 gasoline. They said this gas is available in many states. It will ruin your gaskets and other engine parts if used. This was on TV as a news story. If anyone has good knowledge I would appreciate hearing back

What a horrible piece of "journalism." "This fuel is approved and pushed by our government."

If one looks at the graphics indicated in the story, it states that E15 is sold by 10 stations in Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa. In reality it's available in other states but they didn't bother to do their research. Further, E15 has to be marked as such and can't be sold as normal gasoline.

So if someone takes 5 seconds to read the label inside their gas filler door, they will realize what they need to use in terms of fuel.

As for voiding warranties, it is the same as using the incorrect octane or oil in one's car. If you don't operate or maintain a vehicle correctly, the warranty may be voided.

IMHO, it's nothing but a scare piece.

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    edited October 2014
    fezo said:

Don't know about the rules of individual companies but the less ethanol the better.

Meanwhile, what's up with Kia and I don't know who else has made a spare tire - a donut - an option? They saves 43 pounds but what if you get something other than a small puncture. They give you a little pump and a can of fix-a-flat - just the thing to invalidate your tire's warranty.

I'd have to look back to be sure, but I believe they actually removed the spare tire as an option on my 14' Chevy Cruz, only the can and pump avaiable, not even a jack if I recall. ( Which reminds me, I have to get that stuff for mine , donut and jack, because I don't feel comfy without them),

stever said:

I carry a pump, but it's an older Black and Decker with more oomph that the two HF ones I've owned (actually one was DOA and trashed)..

I had a yellow HF pump that was couponed at about $6. IT lasted a few years. I bought a better one for abt $20 after coupon after comparing prices on others at WM and box stores.

The pressure monitor on my leSabre just compares the rotation speeds of tires in three speed categories. It's been pretty good at catching reduced pressure before it even shows with more sidewall deflection. But I like seeing the actual pressures to the nearest pound like on my other two cars. Jut waiting for one of them to go bad on the Cobalt after 6 years. Tire store guy says it's really random when they run down their battery or fail.

edited October 2014
    ray80 said:

I'd have to look back to be sure, but I believe they actually removed the spare tire as an option on my 14' Chevy Cruz, only the can and pump avaiable, not even a jack if I recall. ( Which reminds me, I have to get that stuff for mine , donut and jack, because I don't feel comfy without them),

Website shows ECO, LS and up ALL having the spare and jack as standard equipment for '14. :)
    Check under the trunk mat or check your window sticker if you have it.
    OR on top of the removable piece of floor in the trunk is a tag that has all the options. I photograph
    mine so I can refer on my computer. If it says RU5 on it, that's a compact spare AND wheel.

edited October 2014
    robr2 said:

driver100 said:

What a horrible piece of "journalism." "This fuel is approved and pushed by our government."

If one looks at the graphics indicated in the story, it states that E15 is sold by 10 stations in Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa. In reality it's available in other states but they didn't bother to do their research. Further, E15 has to be marked as such and can't be sold as normal gasoline.

So if someone takes 5 seconds to read the label inside their gas filler door, they will realize what they need to use in terms of fuel.

As for voiding warranties, it is the same as using the incorrect octane or oil in one's car. If you don't operate or maintain a vehicle correctly, the warranty may be voided.

Fair and Balanced! B)B)B)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Even the Fit, with as space conscious as the designers were, has a spare. There is no good excuse for a car not having one, IMHO.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

ray80 said:

Website shows ECO, LS and up ALL having the spare and jack as standard equipment for '14. :)
    OR on top of the removable piece of floor in the trunk is a tag that has all the options. I photograph
    mine so I can refer on my computer. If it says RU5 on it, that's a compare space AND wheel.

Ok, You made me go check the website.

http://www.chevrolet.com/cruze-compact-car/specs/options.html

If that works, change model to eco manual and find Donut listed as N/A and sealant/inflater as standard under exterior Tab :)
    edited October 2014
    ray80 said:

ray80 said:

mine so I can refer on my computer. If it says RU5 on it, that's a compare space AND wheel.

If that works, change model to eco manual and find Donut listed as N/A and sealant/inflater as standard under exterior Tab :)
    You're right because it is a manual.

I had looked up "automatic." It has a spare, but the manual does not. You should be able to pick up one along with jack and handle at a pick-n-pull or other junkyard. Tirerack will tell you what size space wheel and tire you should have, but I don't believe they sell the jacks.

What kind of mileage are you able to get with the manual? We seriously looked at a Cruze but
    it was automatic.

edited October 2014
    driver100 said:

robr2 said:

driver100 said:

I don't find a contemporaneous Fox News story on E15. I found one from last year. Sounds pretty factual to me. We're talking about big money here for several large companies in the US that donate to congress that supply the alcohol from corn for auto fuel at the expense of inflation in the food market due to diversion of corn from being used as a livestock food. But the gov't data says there's no inflation. My inflation gauge says about 10%/annun at the grocery. The increase in use of corn says that the gov't isn't ignoring the lobbyists as promised in 2008 election.

Maybe the Lean Forward network can give you their version and explain about warranties that might be negated by E15 use. http://smarterfuelfuture.org/resource-center/videos

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    edited October 2014

ray80 said:

ray80 said:

You're right because it is a manual.

I had looked up "automatic." It has a spare, but the manual does not. You should be able to pick up one along with jack and handle at a pick-n-pull or other junkyard. Tirerack will tell you what size space wheel and tire you should have, but I don't believe they sell the jacks.

What kind of mileage are you able to get with the manual? We seriously looked at a Cruze but
    it was automatic.

Just rented a 14 Cruz LT -- mpg said average of 30. Solid car. Auto of course.

edited October 2014
    mako1a said:

Why do it then? Before you leave home to turn it in pull the old spare out of your '13 and replace it with a bicycle tire. Would they really check?
    EDIT: I see Stick's evil mind already had that idea. :o

Speaking of 2015 Mustangs I just watched a video of the 2.3L turbo pulling 12.56 in the quarter mile and an almost stock GT doing it in 11.77.

Is that good?

It's on YouTube. Called Mustang .99 challenge.

edited October 2014
    Gas is already cheap here ($2.97 at a few stations) but I saw some $2.89 last week and got excited until I saw the E15 label. (edit - make that the E85 label)

I kept a gas log on my last van and tracked the mpg carefully. On one trip out this way I found some cheap ethanol free regular (back in MI I could only find that stuff in premium). So I tried a tank. My mileage went down two miles per gallon. This was on a road trip and I was doing easy ~400 miles days. Go figure.

Oh, last I checked a spare was a $200 option on the Soul we're shopping. Otherwise you get a pump and some Slime I think.
    "...IMHO, it's nothing but a scare piece..."

What? A news outlet exaggerating the truth for ratings or to flog an agenda? Never!

I'm glad the other news channels aren 't like that. ;)

driver100 said:

robr2 said:

driver100 said:

I don't find a contemporaneous Fox News story on E15. I found one from last year. Sounds pretty factual to me. We're talking about big money here for several large companies in the US that donate to congress that supply the alcohol from corn for auto fuel at the expense of inflation in the food market due to diversion of corn from being used as a livestock food. But the gov't data says there's no inflation. My inflation gauge says about 10%/annun at the grocery. The increase in use of corn says that the gov't isn't ignoring the lobbyists as promised in 2008 election.

Maybe the Lean Forward network can give you their version and explain about warranties that might be negated by E15 use. http://smarterfuelfuture.org/resource-center/videos

Just my opinion, but the truth is recorded in all the news sources - and thanks for pointing out the same report from the forward network and other sources. Actually, since they reported the same story but in a less hyper way, I can see that there is real cause for concern, but, I realize the sky isn't going to fall. The news report I saw was done in an over the top news report....but, the basic facts seem pretty certain. Many people think we should just do away with E15 fuel, too much risk of a problem. Only 5% of the cars on the road are really built to use it. It will void warranties and it will ruin smaller engines or engines not made to handle it. It will cause food prices to rise and possibly people will starve.

It is worth knowing about and double check we don't use E15 unless our cars were made for it.
    Good sensible report about E15 Fuel

"GM and Ford have certified their own vehicles starting with the 2012 and 2013 model years, respectively, so some brand-new cars will have no trouble at all."

edited October 2014

"GM and Ford have certified their own vehicles starting with the 2012 and 2013 model years, respectively, so some brand-new cars will have no trouble at all."

True, but not much upside and a lot of downside......so, I am going to try to avoid it no matter what I drive.

Lose the E-15 and while we're at it lose the E-10. I would have to go across the state to but actual plan old gasoline. Plan to abandon my last gasoline powered piece of yard equipment - a lawn tractor - this year. It's not made for ethanol at all.