Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2014
    I used to skim the LA Times just about every day but since they went to that odd format, I quit going there so much. There's a story in today's edition about WIPP costing a billion to fix, and it will take a long time, partly because they will only allow two diesel trucks to operate in the caves when the repairs get underway. Maybe they figure a gasser would cause another nuke accident. :p
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    I won't have a choice, unless I switch brands or buy a used car, as I have no interest in an SUV. The car seems to be breaking in a bit now at around the 15K mark, feels more comfortable and a little softer. I like the car a lot, but kind of like the idea of sampling others too. So long as I can pay it, might as well live a little - these are the good old days. I want to have a look at the new C, which we should eventually get as a diesel (C250 would be a little 50+mpg rocket), but if everything looks good, I might try an E250.

For the cars I look at, diesel would need to be a lot more expensive to turn me off, too. The world changes when the gasser is a PUG only model.
    gagrice said:

Glad you are so happy with you E350 Bluetec. You think you will go for the 250 next time? Our diesel is going down slowly. Shell with CC is down to $3.74 here. Hoping it comes down more over the next two weeks before we head to Oregon. Their prices are about the same as CA. It would have to be twice the price of RUG to make me give up on diesel.

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    fintail said:

I won't have a choice, unless I switch brands or buy a used car, as I have no interest in an SUV. The car seems to be breaking in a bit now at around the 15K mark, feels more comfortable and a little softer. I like the car a lot, but kind of like the idea of sampling others too. So long as I can pay it, might as well live a little - these are the good old days. I want to have a look at the new C, which we should eventually get as a diesel (C250 would be a little 50+mpg rocket), but if everything looks good, I might try an E250.

For the cars I look at, diesel would need to be a lot more expensive to turn me off, too. The world changes when the gasser is a PUG only model.

gagrice said:

Glad you are so happy with you E350 Bluetec. You think you will go for the 250 next time? Our diesel is going down slowly. Shell with CC is down to $3.74 here. Hoping it comes down more over the next two weeks before we head to Oregon. Their prices are about the same as CA. It would have to be twice the price of RUG to make me give up on diesel.

I thought you had the E350 BT on lease? Don't they have the E250 BT out now? Hard to imagine it getting a lot better than you are getting. Maybe around town.
    Yes, that's right. I've read the E250 can easily hit 15% better mpg on the highway and maybe a little better in town. It also isn't down much on power, especially compared to the difference in displacement - but I don't know if it is as smooth as the 6cyl. E250 started with model year 2014.
    gagrice said:

I thought you had the E350 BT on lease? Don't they have the E250 BT out now? Hard to imagine it getting a lot better than you are getting. Maybe around town.

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited September 2014
    If you are happy, why switch?

On the other hand, IF you are considering a switch, ask for test drives to see if you like the TDI differences and if the feature and features are worth the premiums. I think this evaluation can be complicated by all the GEE WHIZ additions or changes unrelated to the diesel portion. ;)
    edited September 2014
    http://www.hybridcars.com/25-highway-mpg-for-colorado-canyon-duo-diesel-coming/

I am not sure how real this is or will turn out to be:

..."For the 2016 model year, GM said the Colorado and Canyon will add a 2.8-liter Duramax turbodiesel to the engine lineup. Technical details and EPA fuel economy estimates will be available closer to launch. GM added this Duramax engine is already offered in global markets."
    edited September 2014
    People are already complaining about paying $40,000 for a pickup when you can get one 10% bigger for the same price (i.e. a full size one - but they can easily top out $50k too).

So some of the potential "small diesel" conquest buyers may just wind up buying the same old big ones.
    edited September 2014
    stever said:

People are already complaining about paying $40,000 for a pickup when you can get one 10% bigger for the same price (i.e. a full size one - but they can easily top out $50k too).

So some of the potential "small diesel" conquest buyers may just wind up buying the same old big ones.

For giggles, I compared the Toyota Highlander gasser/gasser hybrid against the VW Touareg (heavier) /MB GLK 250 BT TDI's. The gasser/hybrid cost more than the TDI's and the TDI's got better fuel mileage. I think MB got it right by pricing the GLK 250 BT (MINUS -$500.) cheaper than the GASSER (GLK 350).

From a more overall point of view, the plans have always been to increase the costs of ALL energy applications. The fact that ULSD costs less per mile driven, has NOT gone unnoticed by the regulatory agencies. They would LOVE to equalize ($$$ economically) the diesel out of existence. Ergo, to GROW the diesel PVF price them the SAME as gassers, or in the case of MB GLK350/250 BT, LESS.
    edited September 2014
    stever said:

Fuelly lists only ONE 1.8 L turbo @ 24.8 mpg. By its model designator, it seems to be a "foreign" model, aka not US market. ( US market EPA C 24, H 34, Com 31)
    edited September 2014
    I gotta get some computer glasses - every time I see that VW TSI I'm reading it as a TDI.

Nevermind...it's even a slower diesel news day than you thought. :'(
    edited September 2014
    No worries, but it is good to see that VW is putting a lot of attention (seemingly) to EVERY one of its offerings, aka gassers. It is one more data point (seemingly) to confirm VW is SERIOUS about constant improvements.

On the slow diesel news day, I do have the 12 VW Touareg TDI out and about. It seems to be posting app 30-31 mpg (normal around town for the driving I normally do, 3/4 tank or app 20 gals.) It does take a bit of getting use to it AGAIN, as I functioned the windshield wipers, while trying to use the " transmission" stalk which I was used to in the MB 250 BT. Thank GOD it is NOT critical, albeit EMBARRASSING. I did try to function the "foot brake" on the Touareg (when there is NONE), aka it has an electronic switch brake.

I do miss the up/downshift PADDLES. :D
    lol, about every 20th time I use my left turn signal on the "new" van I manage to turn on the wipers.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You should have added the Lane Avoidance System so that you'd never have to use it.

You should have added the Lane Avoidance System so that you'd never have to use it.

It makes me wonder why the very old wink wide angle rear view mirror concept (7 smaller angled mirrors) never took hold.
    edited September 2014
    The driver's side mirror did come with one of those little mirrors on the bigger mirror - looked OEM at first but I'm pretty sure it's a stick-on.

My left peripheral vision is getting a bit worse, so I can use all the help I can get. And those people I'm about to sideswipe could use some warning too.

Just think, if I had a diesel, I could just blow the nose and they'd give me all sorts of room to move over. :D
    ruking1 said:

It does take a bit of getting use to it AGAIN, as I functioned the windshield wipers, while trying to use the " transmission" stalk which I was used to in the MB 250 BT. :D

I left my Touareg wipers in the auto position and let it go into the car wash. I was following it through watching the wipers try to keep up with the water spraying onto the windshield. Fortunately the wipers did not get hung up in the cleaning pads.
    edited September 2014
    stever said:

The driver's side mirror did come with one of those little mirrors on the bigger mirror - looked OEM at first but I'm pretty sure it's a stick-on.

My left peripheral vision is getting a bit worse, so I can use all the help I can get. And those people I'm about to sideswipe could use some warning too.

Just think, if I had a diesel, I could just blow the nose and they'd give me all sorts of room to move over. :D

(The GOOD News) According to the NHTSA, lane changing accidents (aka blind spots) are a VERY low percentage. Backing is an even FAR lower %. Indeed the OVERWHELMING percentage happens while going STRAIGHT, (presumably where vision is normally BEST) !! ??

There are many articles detailing how to "properly" adjust the side mirrors (to work with the inside center rear view mirror) that actually allows one to be able to see one's blind spots. Anecdotally, I understand a VERY small minority % actually do it. Here are two of many, detailing the concept and procedures. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots
    http://autos.jdpower.com/content/how-to/uvgsj6F/how-to-correctly-adjust-your-car-mirrors.htm
    edited September 2014
    How about an alternative, alternative FUELS system, aka Natural Gas and ULSD !!! ??? Cheaper also: ..."which they refuel for less than $1.70 per gasoline-gallon equivalent, or gge. "....

http://online.wsj.com/articles/bob-lukefahr-and-balu-balagopal-forget-electric-cars-natural-gas-is-powering-vehicles-in-texas-1411770393?mod=hp_opinion
    edited September 2014
    Heh, I wrote a CarSpace guide titled "The Zen of Adjusting Your Side Mirrors" back in 2007 (remember CarSpace?). Unfortunately it appears that the Wayback Machine didn't archive that guide. I think I've had ~4 eye surgeries/procedures since then though and trusting mirrors is getting dicer.

Seems like NG has a resurgence every six or eight years.
    edited September 2014
    stever said:

Heh, I wrote a CarSpace guide titled "The Zen of Adjusting Your Side Mirrors" back in 2007 (remember CarSpace?). Unfortunately it appears that the Wayback Machine didn't archive that guide. I think I've had ~4 eye surgeries/procedures since then though and trusting mirrors is getting dicer.

Seems like NG has a resurgence every six or eight years.

Here's another LARGE automaker having a hard time out of the gates with another "alternative" fuel.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_26614101/toyota-bets-big-fuel-cell-vehicles

Again, real lite to almost deceptive in the FYI dept metric: cost per mile driven FUEL.

SLOW news diesel day.

12 VWT TDI posted 30 mpg for app 76% of a full tank.

ULSD @ $3.89 corner store.

$3.79 in Tahoe, CA.

SO CPMD: FUEL (D2) has gone UP (from $1.85 TO $3.89/30 mpg) 110% in 11 years or 10% per year.
    edited October 2014
    Slow news diesel day $3.79 ULSD.

I heard a talking head on a financial news cable tv network say that a one cent (per gal) move ((-/+) is $1 BILLION (more or less) that a car fuel buyer (US market) can spend on other things on/in the economy. (instead of TAXATIONS) That has been about the clearest I have ever heard it put in context.

So the math is pretty simple for one's state. http://www.gaspricewatch.com/web_gas_taxes.php
    Diesel is down to $3.40 here.
    edited October 2014
    steer said:

Diesel is down to $3.40 here.

It always seems like when the price of oil goes UP, the price of ULSD goes up FAST or even FASTER. Now that the price of oil is literally CRASHING, and with OVER SUPPLY ( oil AND RUG/PUG, ethanol, D2) , the price change downward is SLOW as molasses !!! ;)

SOS/DD down grade leg posted 31 mpg overall on the same tank (12 VW T TDI, 541 miles, est 8.95 gal left) . It felt like it took forever to get down to point B. However, overall time was actually much less. There were also lots of (@ altitude & with altitude change ) stop and go trips with lots of delays for road construction sites (side trips, two lane mountain roads necked down to one lane).

The King Fire, Pollock Pines, CA is mostly contained (95% +) even as it has consumed 153 sq. miles of National Forest. http://www.laketahoenews.net/2014/10/king-fire-acreage-grows-perimeter-holds/

The weather has been absolutely GORGEOUS, even as the temperatures have ranged from 36 degrees F to 95 degrees F. !!!!
    A journey last night produced respectable results for a car of such mass - even if the computer is optimistic, this isn't bad:

edited October 2014
    fintail said:

A journey last night produced respectable results for a car of such mass - even if the computer is optimistic, this isn't bad:

To me, it shows ONE of the many advantage of diesels. No reason/s to doubt your posting, both the miles and mpg !!! It would be interesting to see what your mpg would be when you fill, after your low fuel warning lamp functions. B) (AND mpg in the gasser equivalent)

Just for comparison sake: (aka, each data point has a structural mpg penalty)

1. 12 VW T TDI: 3.0 L, 8 speed A/T, 4,974 #'s, 18 in tires, AWD,

2. 14 MB GLK 250 BT: 2.1 L , 7 speed A/T, 4,246 #'s, 19 in tires, AWD

I am curious as to what the E250 could do in similar conditions - 5 mpg gain? More? All with plenty of torque and a smooth powerplant and ride in a 4000+ lb car.

I can't stand to run much below a quarter, I've never ran it to the reserve light.

ruking1 said:

To me, it shows ONE of the many advantage of diesels. No reason/s to doubt your posting, both the miles and mpg !!! It would be interesting to see what your mpg would be when you fill, after your low fuel warning lamp functions. B) (AND mpg in the gasser equivalent)

edited October 2014
    fintail said:

I am curious as to what the E250 could do in similar conditions - 5 mpg gain? More? All with plenty of torque and a smooth powerplant and ride in a 4000+ lb car.

I can't stand to run much below a quarter, I've never ran it to the reserve light.

ruking1 said:

Yes, @ least 5 mpg, if my anecdotal experiences are an indicator. "Falling down off the mountain", the 2.1 L (with the CUV's inherent disadvantages) has posted as high as 49.8 mpg vs the 3.0 L closer to 41 mpg.

For probably the same reasons and feelings (i.e.,comfort level), I almost never used to go much beyond 1/4 of a tank with gassers (go beyond 1/4 to 1/8 of a tank) . When I now get behind the wheel of a gasser, same thing, no change.

A number of reasons why I am fine with going to the low fuel warning lamp/buzzer, are the combined features on the TDI, diesel: 1. extra range (30% + better mpg), 2. no fuel draw" (in gear same tank size/gasser) 3. drive by wire technology 4. new 7/8 speed A/T's. 5. better mpg carrying less gals (weight) of D2

I do wonder what would be the per hour (idle) fuel savings on an automatic engine cut off. I suspect however, it is not yet cost effective. This is not to mention that current iteration do not pass customer reviews. I think if one is going to idle that long (past 1 minute) and much, a no brainer would be to just shut off the engine.

Realistically, there is only one way and one situation that would give me pause. It is doing the SOS/DD trek that normally takes 2.75 to 3.5 hours (best to BAD) converting to 10 hours (WAY beyond bad) , due to inclement weather. But anymore, I would just go home. (do a yo-yo @ the CA Trans, government chain control point) :DB) Or, hit a hotel if it is that important! (9.95/10, NOT !)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428
    I had to fill up my Legacy this AM for the 1st time since taking delivery last Saturday afternoon. 17.069 (18.5 Gallon Tank) took me 482.8 miles (28.3 mpg) and cost me $.126 cents per mile to drive. The good fuel economy is just the icing on the cake. I'm happy and very impressed with the car so far.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    nyccarguy said:

I had to fill up my Legacy this AM for the 1st time since taking delivery last Saturday afternoon. 17.069 (18.5 Gallon Tank) took me 482.8 miles (28.3 mpg) and cost me $.126 cents per mile to drive. The good fuel economy is just the icing on the cake. I'm happy and very impressed with the car so far.

Yet, darn it, if they would bring the diesel variant to "the states," we could add a +10 to that FE number, as well as another 170 miles....

/sigh

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited October 2014
    nyccarguy said:

This neck of the woods sees (or should I say, I see) a lot of Subaru owners. So if they send you a survey, how would you rate it?

One customer satisfaction survey (I posted in an earlier msg) puts Subaru #2 behind MB @ #1 and just ahead of #3 VW. Lexus came in #4 behind VW.

VW did rather well, especially in light of being one of the world's big three automakers. MB, Subaru, Lexus might be considered more niche market oem's.

I am glad you are happy.

I am assuming you have the 15 Subaru Legacy. Fuelly lists the 14 Subaru @ 25.6 (19 units) , with the 15 Subaru Legacy @ 27.3 mpg (8 units).
    I'd rate the car very high so far. I'm pretty picky & very impressed with my 2015 Subaru Legacy.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited October 2014
    nyccarguy said:

I'd rate the car very high so far. I'm pretty picky & very impressed with my 2015 Subaru Legacy.

I'd be interested in your longer term take on the CVT transmission. For me, without doing any significant time with it, it would be a deal breaker (if it were spec'ed for TDI), even as I believe Subaru is one of the best cars (gasser) on the US markets. The other anomaly were issues with two friends that had issues with the Subaru CVT's on test drives, that eventually bought a Lexus hybrid (ES300H) with a... CVT ??? IT also has the 2.5 L (gasser) engine. Bang for the buck wise, I still believe the Subie remains the better deal.
    Interesting little stat: Kelley Blue Book survey says that 12% of new car buyers would consider a diesel purchase.
    edited October 2014
    This one might be OVER the top, AUDI 3.0 L T (electric/ exhaust fuel driven) TDI @ 553 # ft of torque ? @ 1,250 rpm !!!!!! With 44.4 mpg ? WOW !!

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1093491_new-audi-sq7-tdi-will-be-first-with-electrically-driven-turbo
    edited October 2014

Interesting little stat: Kelley Blue Book survey says that 12% of new car buyers would consider a diesel purchase.

With PROJECTED yearly sales of 14 M to 17.5 M, that would be a (potential) range of 1.68 M to 2.1 M units. I wonder out loud what % of the real car buyers survey would really convert in the real world.

In terms of greater percentages, it would seem that VW benefits (most) from that metric. Some examples include JSW @ up to 85% TDI to 25% + TDI overall yearly production.
    @ryanhandler‌

Funny you should post about the 535xd. I have a friend who participates in the "Bull Run" every year in his 2013 ///M5. I'm trying to convince him that he doesn't have to drive faster to win, just smarter. The 535xd would be the perfect car for him.

edited October 2014
    ruking1 said:

With PROJECTED yearly sales of 14 M to 17.5 M, that would be a (potential) range of 1.68 M to 2.1 M units. I wonder out loud what % of the real car buyers survey would really convert in the real world.

So, I was rather surprised over the weekend when I mentioned to my wife that our next car purchase will be a diesel. She says, "What? Why would we want one of those noisy, smelly things?" I mean, I know people say that people think this.... but this is MY wife! The practical, no-nonsense, non-assuming wife I married so many years ago!!!

I couldn't help but laugh. After a while, I was able to assure her that this is not the case. She's adamant that I let her check out whatever I'm seriously considering. I'm not sure it's time to mention to her what I'm looking at. :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited October 2014
    xwesx said:

ruking1 said:

So, I was rather surprised over the weekend when I mentioned to my wife that our next car purchase will be a diesel. She says, "What? Why would we want one of those noisy, smelly things?" I mean, I know people say that people think this.... but this is MY wife! The practical, no-nonsense, non-assuming wife I married so many years ago!!!

I couldn't help but laugh. After a while, I was able to assure her that this is not the case. She's adamant that I let her check out whatever I'm seriously considering. I'm not sure it's time to mention to her what I'm looking at. :p

Even fueling withOUT the plastic sealing flap on the D2 pump, I did not smell it at all !! When I fuel the gassers even WITH the plastic sealing flap, the smell is obvious. Indeed there are dire warnings not to SMELL RUG/PUG.

What oem's and models are you and your other half considering?

Slow news diesel day here. I just filled the 12 VW T TDI for 30 mpg= 635 miles/21 gal or app MINUS- 80% of a full tank. I had wanted to wait till the low fuel lamp lit. If I would have fueled closer to 26.4 gals (VW stated capacity), the range would have been slightly under 800 miles.

Will be looking to replace the oem tires on the 09 Jetta TDI. I don't think it will post 100,000 miles with this set.

edited October 2014
    Well, I wouldn't say that me "and the other half" are considering them (because I've mostly been pondering solo on this), but, in terms of current offerings out there, I'm considering both slightly used GLK 250 or new Jetta wagon (MT), depending on which way I decide to go in terms of the vehicle's intent. I have a hard time accepting the fact that the market's offerings on small SUV-style vehicles simply means I don't get to have a manual tranny any more.

At the same time, I'm getting ready to move on from the Fiesta, and more space without a huge mileage sacrifice sounds appealing. The AWD (and comfort) of the GLK would also allow me to reconsider the role of our Forester. If I went with a Jetta, it would likely serve the same role as my Fiesta, albeit with significantly more space (and likely taking on some "family duties," which my Fiesta rarely does).

That said, there's some time here and I really hope that more offerings trickle into the diesel category so that I can not "settle" on something simply as a result of market scarcity. But, as far as settling goes, these models seem like a pretty comfortable compromise!
    Actually VW diesel sales are off for the year, oddly enough, whilst Audi is up.
    ruking1 said:

In terms of greater percentages, it would seem that VW benefits (most) from that metric. Some examples include JSW @ up to 85% TDI to 25% + TDI overall yearly production.
    edited October 2014

Actually VW diesel sales are off for the year, oddly enough, whilst Audi is up.

ruking1 said:

In terms of end of the year sales, that may or may not have an effect on the (TDI) percentages. As you imply, that DOES have an effect on over all unit sales.

This is speculation on my part, but the 15 MY VW's saw a redesign of some to most models, which can have an effect on folks choices: to get the 14 MY or wait or jump to the 15 MY.

edited October 2014
    When y'all figure VW out let me know. They are missing a couple of things in their lineup but it sure seems like they should be selling more cars.

I look at a 4 door Golf TSI S (sorry, gasser) with a sunroof for $22k, better mpg and slightly more horses but on paper I get more jazzed about a Soul+ for $23,500. Just seems like you get more bang for the buck with the Kia. The basic and drivetrain warranties are both a lot better on the Kia too.

Out in the real world, at least among the lower end shoppers like me, I think people get more jazzed about the Mazda3 than the Golf.
    edited October 2014
    stever said:

When y'all figure VW out let me know. They are missing a couple of things in their lineup but it sure seems like they should be selling more cars.

I look at a 4 door Golf TSI S (sorry, gasser) with a sunroof for $22k, better mpg and slightly more horses but on paper I get more jazzed about a Soul+ for $23,500. Just seems like you get more bang for the buck with the Kia. The basic and drivetrain warranties are both a lot better on the Kia too.

Out in the real world, at least among the lower end shoppers like me, I think people get more jazzed about the Mazda3 than the Golf.

Yes I think that is true. Two relatives got Mazda3's. One traded (it) for a GTI VW. I think competition can be stiff in each segment.

I saw in one Cable TV special that Kia's sheet metal looks to be galvanized stamped steel. It is further dipped in electronic primer, almost seems like a high end German car.

I think I am getting spoiled by those (German car) heavy duty THUD's, when I open and close doors, trunks, hoods. I am also enjoying the handling.

edited October 2014
    The Golf is one of the few bright spots for VW currently.

Volkswagen Continues To Falter With Sales Growing Only For Its Golf Hatchbacks (ibtimes.com)

And on that note, VW’s New Golf Makes the Case for Diesel (Time - beware of the loud video ad when you open the link).

Even fueling withOUT the plastic sealing flap on the D2 pump, I did not smell it at all !! When I fuel the gassers even WITH the plastic sealing flap, the smell is obvious. Indeed there are dire warnings not to SMELL RUG/PUG.

The sulfur has to be where ALL the nasty smell was coming from. We followed and old F250 diesel pulling a trailer up the mountain to Crater Lake yesterday. He was blowing black smoke horribly. No smell from it. The smell of raw RUG is nauseating.
    edited October 2014
    You're kidding - I was behind one yesterday that was puffing a black cloud with every gear change. Wound up laying a half block back from her (?) to avoid the stink. That's how I really knew it was a diesel and not a gasser burning excess fuel. Gotta start taking the camera - this one had a muffler tip as big as a basketball with a Lincoln Performance logo across the back window.

How's the road trip going? Crater Lake has been a lot of people's list this summer.
    edited October 2014
    stever said:

The Golf is one of the few bright spots for VW currently.

Volkswagen Continues To Falter With Sales Growing Only For Its Golf Hatchbacks (ibtimes.com)

And on that note, VW’s New Golf Makes the Case for Diesel (Time - beware of the loud video ad when you open the link).

For too long, VW really has never understood the US markets. Therein lies both the dangers and opportunities. For a host of reasons, they are and remain a VERY profitable company. To boot, they continually jockey for #1 and #2 world wide BIGGEST automakers. !!! Of those, they are by far the most % profitable.

While I am sure they would LOVE gangbuster US sales (doesn't EVERY oem fantasize having THAT problem?), lower sales and other knocks have not hurt them, as it would most other OEM's.

On the other side of the ledger, for a company that does not really "get" US markets, the fact that it came in #3 (customer satisfaction index) behind both #1 MB and /#2 Subaru and ahead of #4 Lexus, an almost ICONIC luxury, reliable and durable brand indicates they are fierce competitors that satisfies its' customers. In effect, they are doing some very important things "RIGHT".

Two TMI initiatives are 1. the 29% faster generation change (from 7 years to 5 years) 1b. with faster and constant improvement tweaks AND 2. platforms standardizations.
    While NOT #3 it is noteworthy to mention the diesel segment are based on the (now ubiquitous) 1. 2,0 L TDI engine. 2. The 3.0 L TDI is the other, albeit far less. (units/%'s)

Needless to say, the diesel offerings are a STRONG minority component of their ongoing successes. There are also almost monthly dealer and oem buying incentives. One example is (Gagrice's/my) ZERO % rate (after best deal) . Resale prices (despite aggressive new car pricing/incentives) have been and remain high and VERY good (diesel, % wise), another.
    I can smell diesel no problem. Even on a brand new car when it is parked. I have a good nose :)

the problem is that diesel doesn't evaporate as quickly as gasoline, so the odor lingers even if you spill a little bit of it.

As for exhaust a badly running gasoline car is just as obnoxious as a badly running diesel.
This discussion has been closed.