Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• janelinjanelin Member Posts: 2
    Hello! I've gotten so much out of reading people's postings in the Townhall, so I want to return the favor.

First off, I decided to buy an available 3.0 X5 that was very close to what I wanted instead of ordering one and waiting. It's an alpine white automatic with the climate, premium, and premium sound packages, sand leather. The dealer gave me list price.

I have no regrets with this vehicle - it handles great and is a joy to drive. This is my first SUV, my second vehicle (first was a Saturn). I was deciding between the X5 and the Acura MDX. The MDX wasn't right for me because I didn't need the extra seats and cargo space, the driver's seat wasn't comfortable for me, and I wanted something sportier. The X5 was the only vehicle I was excited about and literally made me say, "Wow!"

I was debating about the xenon headlights. The dealer let me drive a 5 series sedan with xenons and the X5 with halogen. I decided the xenon did produce a much whiter light, had more shoulder vision, but the range wasn't significantly greater, the light jiggles a lot (I think due to the auto-levelling?), and replacements are very expensive - over $900 for each side. Plus I'd have to order one with xenons. I have not been disappointed with the halogens.

The seats are very comfortable - it has enough lumbar support for me without the extra lumbar option. Also as testimony, a friend easily fell into a deep sleep in the back :-)

It handles great on ice and snow. The first day I got it, we tested braking on an ice patch and accelerating from the ice patch, and it was great - stopped very quickly and had no problems starting to drive again. A few days later it snowed and the roads were slick - with the usual caution, I had no problems. Meanwhile a neighbor with a pickup truck couldn't get out of his parking spot.

Handling on dry road is excellent too. I had no problems avoiding a tree branch in the road at night. A friend also drove it several times around a very small unnecessary traffic circle at high speed. He said it didn't slip at all compared to his Navaho, and would've taken it faster except that I started eeking in alarm :-) The 3.0 has plenty of power for passing and going up mountains.

For my first tank, I calculated 19.2 mpg which was a mix of highway and local.

I like the climate package - it's handy being able to control driver temperature separately from the front passenger. I don't miss heated seats because the car warms up so quickly. I like how it's smart and doesn't blast cold air right away - it waits until it's warmed up first! This car has too many features! I also don't miss auto-dimming - with the privacy glass and the height of the vehicle, brights don't bother me from behind.

I am not an audiophile, but the premium sound is great! However, the first X5 I test drove didn't have premium sound, and I was impressed with just the sound of the radio. I do wish it came with both cd player and tape player.

I like the tailgate design. I am not tall, and I have no problems putting stuff in back. It's also short enough that I can put things in with just the window hatch up. So I think most people wouldn't need the retractable cargo floor.

The dealer I worked with was great - Santa Fe BMW. The head guy let me test drive it alone, without even looking at my driver's license! The second time I went, the sales guy took me to a dirt road with gravel and washboard - the X5 soaked up the bumps, I didn't have to slow down. It was very low key, low pressure. They also didn't question whether I could afford it, unlike the Nissan salesman who asked right off the bat how much I could spend. When I didn't give him a number, he assumed that it was minimal since I look young. Anyway, in contrast, this BMW dealership has very nice people and a relaxed atmosphere - you want to just hang out there!
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    Congrads on your X5. I would have picked X5 over the MDX if I didn't need the 3rd seat and extra space. The MDX is probably the best choice if the top 3 priorities are versatility, performance and 7 seats. X5 is the way to go when priorities are performance, performance, performance.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    BMW MAKES THREE WORLD DEBUTS AT NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
    8. January 2001

Detroit, Michigan, January 8, 2001...Three BMWs made their world debuts today at the North American International Auto Show. The previously unannounced BMW X coupe concept vehicle combines ground-breaking sport coupe styling with off-road capability. The M3 convertible represents something unique in the marketplace - a true high-performance four-seat convertible. It was further announced that the base MSRP for the M3 convertible would be $54,045. A third member of BMW's family of X5 Sports Activity Vehicles was also unveiled, the ultra high-performance X5 4.6is, which joins the X5 4.4i and X5 3.0i.
    Making its North American debut is the Z9 convertible concept vehicle. This open-air 2+2 provides a glimpse into future BMW design. At its heart is a new concept in interior design, called iDrive. With the increasing number of comfort, convenience, navigational and driving features becoming available in automobiles, iDrive will make it much simpler for drivers to operate these features while concentrating on the full-time task of driving.

First unveiled in Los Angeles, the M coupe and M roadster, equipped with the new, more powerful 3.2-liter engine, will join the M3 coupe, M3 convertible and M5 sport sedan to offer a full range of products from BMW M.
  • ms_joannems_joanne Member Posts: 69
    There are constant rumors about an X7 being made sometime in the future that will offer 3rd row seating. I think it will be hard to beat...the extra space would be nice even without the seating but the X5 works well for me.

I didn't get the premium sound and I think the stereo rocks. It has a great sound at all levels. Granted I am not the biggest of audiophiles but the base system (with in-dash CD) is pretty awesome. I wouldn't mind a few added features like knowing what sound level you're at and added CD features like Repeat but I have little complaints overall.

So far this vehicle continues to WOW me (that is just the words I used, too, Janelin...the X5 WOW'd me beyond words...and still does every time I get in it. :)
  • gemni1gemni1 Member Posts: 12
    I'm a female that's in the market for a '01 X5 3.0i and I'd like to know what your experience was in dealing with salesman. Were you able to negotiate your deal (I believe that you said $$$ off of MSRP)and be taken seriously? Please share with me how you went about dealing with them. Thanks in advance!
  • cshap1cshap1 Member Posts: 1
    I handle all the Internet requests for Fields BMW.
    Unfortunatly, the X5 4.4 (8cyl) are few and far between so it's MSRP. On the X5 6cyl. we do try and give something off. But there is no price that can be given for good customer service which I provide, from taking orders over the email and telephone to bringing the X5 to your home in certain circumstances for test drives.The service doesn't end after we wave goodbye to you in your new X5, it continues. For example today I am going to a clients home to set her garage door opener so it will work with the automatic one in the new car.She is older and should not be on a ladder fiddling with garage doors.
    And Terry Shoemaker was very professional. I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with him the first time. We got the pricing down over the phone and he advised me about the Red Star service (where they come get my car, bring me a loaner, and deliver my X when they are done servicing it) which is offered for as long as I own the vehicle. It was great! The discount was greater than any in the Chicago area. He was professional and a really nice guy to deal with. When I went to the dealership we firmed everything up and had papers written up within 15 minutes. I was out their door with a contract and estimated expect date for the delivery of my new baby within 30 minutes.

Stay away from Fields. No matter what their internet person says their service is the pits. Not at all worth the risk, IMHO. One of their people posted a message saying they were a customer and lying about me (with no return email address...which I think was cowardly as I was going to call him a liar to his face...er, his email since the topic on Edmunds was already frozen).

If you're in the northern IL area Knauz is another good dealer (excellent sales and service) but they don't discount the same as Patrick. I liked everyone I encountered at Knauz just as much as I liked everyone I encountered at Patrick.

I feel that sales and service are two distinct entities within a dealer. Dealers don't make as much off of their sales side as they do off of their service side (which makes sense if you have maintenance after the initial warranty period expires). I have rarely purchased a new vehicle at a dealer where they wound up servicing it simply for logistic reasons.

I will give Patrick the majority of my service business because of the Red Star thing. But if there is a recall or some other reason that I need service sooner than the couple weeks advance notice usually required to have my X picked up and then delivered, it's nice to know that there there a good dealer to use as backup for service. Who knows what the future holds and who will wind up with the majority of my service. I plan on keeping this X until the doors fall off...I am so totally in olve with this car!

I expect a lot from a dealer...and probably more so from a BMW dealer. I would definitely consider either Patrick or Knauz as dealers who offer superior sales and service to a woman.
  • gibdoggibdog Member Posts: 1
    Any thoughts/comments on getting a 3.0 vs. a 4.4, beyond the cost differences?
  • time430time430 Member Posts: 1
    1-9-01, I traded my 2000 E E430 for the X5 30i, 2001, and love it. As you can tell from my name, I am/was a Mercedes E430 lover. However, things change especially with customer service. There was no special reason for getting rid of the E430, just wanted to get back in a SUV. I looked at the ML 430 mainly for my love of Mercedes cars. During my conversations with my sales guy in Houston, TX, I informed him how unsatisfied I was with their offer for my trade in, and that I was not in a have to buy mode. In the 13 months of owning the E430, I had 3 service visits to fix the same electrical SRS problems... the connections to the air bags (no accidents, just electrical issues). I bought my car in Dallas at Park Place before ownership went to Auto Nation, who now owns the Park Place M in Houston where I now live. The sales man took a tact that baffles me to this moment. I was informed that Auto Nation had issued a "firm" mandate that only people who bought a car from that center would get a free rental for service or maintaince jobs. A threat? An attempt to get me to not look elsewhere? Trying to get me to just make the decision? I took it as a threat, like, "if you don't buy the ML 430 here, you will not get a free rental from us, which includes future service with your E430." The sales man at Advantage BMW, DT Houston, Mauricio, was the best car sales man I have ever, ever, dealt with in the car buying process. I love the X5, it rained today, never felt so sure on wet roads, and I feel safe all around. I have read about the problems for the X5, but someone show us a car that does not have problems other than the lucky few who do get that perfect car. However, I am getting to the point that I will not except the customer service attitude of luxury car sales people, "you want the car, and I know you will buy it, so just do it" attitude. Two, we all need to start taking a stand against the options/charges on things that should be standard. All in all, I am in love with my X5, and I am now a BMW guy. Yes, I still love some Mercedes cars.
    I think the 3.0i has wonderful power but real power freaks will always go with the 4.4. As I don't have a 4.4 it's hard for me to say yeah or nay. If you go to www.bimmer.org/x5/messages there are alot of bimmer folks there and this topic is discussed often. Check through their archives to see what has been said and then if your questions haven't been answered post one of your own.

I find it hard to see a $10k difference as I think the 3.0 has all the power and prowess one could ask for. But that's just this one gal's opinion.

Good luck!!
    I hear that!! Good for you!!
    ms_joanne

You seem to be well informed about this topic so I have another question for you. The brochure shows a picture of the X5 with a light brown/black trim, I don't like it, is this standard? What trim does your Alpine White/Black X5 have?

Also, on the www.bimmer.org/x5/messages site I saw an interior trim that was titanium aluminum (silver), is it possible to get this in the U.S.? Did you opt for the leather or the leatherette seats (is it worth $1,450)?
    I have the black leatherette. You can't tell the difference between leather and leatherette. I think, and you'd have to confirm this with a dealer, that the only time you get two toned seats is if you get the sport or luxury package with leather seats. Read the specs for both of those packages in your brochure.

I considered the leather seats but I didn't see the need to pay an extra $1450 and it just seemed kind of weird to me to have leather seats in a SUV (SAV, whatever). I've always preferred cloth myself.

Both the leather and leatherette were very nice. I think you'd like either. Only difference I could really tell was one smelled and the other didn't. Leather has a very specific smell. I think it's supposed to be a little more maintenance to care for, too. Not sure about that one.

I don't know if that was too helpful. :)
    I misread your message the first time!

My X has the black high gloss trim and it looks GREAT!! I am not a wood person so I really didn't want wood trim. I think the black dash top, with the color coded dash front and interior, and the wood, and the titanium door handle trim is WAY TOO BUSY! My X has a complete black interior (except the headliner and roof framing which is gray) and the black gloss trim with the titanium door trim. It looks sporty as heck! If I had a digital camera I'd take pix and post it. I think the interior is awesome!

If you don't get the premium package you get the color coded trim to match your interior color. The premium package allows you to get the light or dark color wood trim. The titanium is only offered in Europe, not in the states.

Honestly, I like the black. I don't think, however, I would like the others. I saw the sand with the sand high gloss and titanium and didn't much care for it (but then again, I dislike a tan interior anyway so that probably plays a part in it). Gray would probably look pretty good.

To further the question about leather seats, I am not a PETA nut or anything but I just didn't see the sense in leather when the leatherette is soooooo nice. Why kill the cow for his skin. I don't mind eating him but.... I know, I'm a hypocrite. What can I say.

I think that might have answered it properly now.
  • kpflegerkpfleger Member Posts: 14
    In case anyone is interest in a personal X5 review, of sorts, I put together a couple webpages that describe why I think the X5 is safest, fun-to-drive vehicle you can currently buy. You can check them out at:

http://www-cs-students.Stanford.EDU/~kpfleger/auto/

Those of you who also read the excellent X5 message board at bimmer.org might have seen this already when I posted a pointer there a while back. Also, last night I created a new topic in the news and views section here at Edmunds to discuss the safest vehicles (X5 and others).

Note that while I have test driven one, I don't own one. The point of the pages is not to give personal driving impressions. Lots of posts on this board and numerous reviews on other websites (which I provide links to) give plenty of those. The point instead is to collect much of the useful info that is out there into one place, with a little discussion and with lots of pointers back to the original sources, all to explain why the X5 has to be considered by anyone looking for the safest possible vehicle that is also fun to drive. (For me, "fun to drive" includes the requirement of a manual transmission, though much of what is discussed on the pages applies to people looking for safe, fun-to-drive automatics as well.)

-Karl
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    Is anyone know X5 has mud flap ? I order an X5 3.0,trying to negotiate to have 4 mud flap install on the new SAV. The saleman check with part dept. and say X5 already come with it. So he offer me a wind deflector for the sunroof instead. I take a closer look at the X5 at the dealer, the mud flap seems very short to me compare to my current 1989/ 325IS. I check the accessories on the BMW website but it does not show the mud flap for X5.
    Note: My friend has ML320 with mud flap. It look nice. I expected X5 should has a similar set.
    I don't think I have seen any mudflaps for the X. I'll have to go look at mine again but I think what is there is sufficient. There may be an aftermarket place you could get some. I haven't seen any from BMW though.
  • rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    Can you provide any more details of your comparison of leather vs. leatherette? Just what is leatherette? Any differences in look or feel? Does one have to be snob to readily tell the difference?

And on the high-gloss vs. wood trim (I don't like wood either). Pretend you want a tan interior. Would the tan or black high-gloss look better? Gotta hunch the black, especially given the size of the center console. That would be a big piece of tan... whatever it is (plastic?)

Can you remind what your pricing was vs. MSRP & invoice?
    I don't know if I can say what the difference is. Leatherette is some kind of man-made material. It looks and feels like leather. The leather is maybe a little thicker with a tad more graining to it. Other than that I can't say. If you go to your BMW dealer ask him to show you leatherette in any of their vehicles...even if it's not an X. Same stuff.

If you get a tan interior you don't have a choice of trim...you will get tan high gloss. I got black interior so I got black high gloss. The only trim on the console is on the ash tray cover, around the shifter and back to the armrest which is covered in leatherette. If you go to www.bimmer.org and search the archives this guy posted pics of his tan/high gloss interior. Gosh, what was his name? Let me think...it will come to me and I will post it. See if you can search for interior or high gloss. Also try heat controls as he didn't have the dual climate controls he had the rotary dials for heat and AC.

I got $1000.00 off list plus Red Star service (which is where they bring you a loaner, pick up your X, and then deliver your car and take the loaner back). The guy I talked with was excellent and will offer that same deal to anyone I refer.

Hope that helped!
    I assume they'd let me have tan interior w/ black trim if I ordered the vehicle? Can't imagine they'd object, when I took the factory tour they made light of willingness to accomodate special details that weren't unrealistic. I think a black-and-tan interior would great, but I've seen the tan trim in a 3-series brochure and thought it was not quite right... better with black, I think. And then there's the aluminum someone else mentioned. Destined for europe or not, they're all made in the same place!

I will search bimmer.org. Thanks.

Anyone have/seen an X5 without sunroof? Brochure states no sunroof adds 1" of headroom, 39.9" vs. 38.9".
  • arod2arod2 Member Posts: 10
    My X5 3.0 is scheduled for production in week 6. After reading endless consumer/owner write-ups on glitches like defroster, tailgate latch, wind noise, key-seat memory, auto-locking improperly, etc. I am wondering if BMW has integrated these corrections on the assembly line yet? Has anyone seen a posting from BMW or anything on the Bimmer.Org site that indicates these problems have been addressed upfront (i.e. on the factory floor)? Thanks
    I have had my X for almost 1000 miles now and the only minor complaint I have is that the sunroof is a little noiser than I would like - when closed. I rarely ever open a sunroof, I just like the sunlight shining through as I often work days where I don't see sunlight at all. When it is out and I am out I like to soak it up. If I close the interior sunshade (under the sunroof) it quiets the noise completely.

For you to appreciate how minute this is you'd have to appreciate that I am an exceptionally detail oriented person. I doubt anyone else would even notice it. Next time my sweetie is in the car I am going to ask him. I also have very high expectations for this vehicle (and any encounters I have with BMW personnel) and thus far the vehicle has been outstanding. I've already addressed the personnel issues so I won't beat that dead horse.

All told I love this vehicle and am not regretting paying a small fortune for it. Heck, it cost more than my first house did! But, it is definitely the best vehicle I have ever owned.

As for the black and tan interior...my gut is that I don't think I'd like it. However, with the black dash top and if you put black mats in it (I put WeatherTech mats in it before I even drove it...crappy Chicago winter going on here)it might just work. I am sure that BMW will assist you if they can. My sales guy said that accommodate whenever they can.

If you do get it I'd be interested in seeing pics.
    The brochure indicates that the sport package replaces exterior chrome with black trim. Yet I see many non-sport X5's pictured without chrome. What's the deal? Do I have it wrong?
    ms_joanne

It's good to see that you're enjoying your new ride, I hope that you have continued success with it. So many people use this site to vent (about all of their disappointments), but you always provide the members will positive feedback (well, except for your unfortunate encounter with Fields, but that was crazy).

Some stories make people a little bit apprehensive about buying, but not me, I'll take my chances and trust that BMW will live up to its reputation.

Reading all of your posts has just reinforced my decision to purchase an X5, just like yours, the same color combinations and all. I won't be purchasing until the spring, but when I do I'll share my experience with everyone. In the meantime I will continue to visit Edmunds to keep abreast of all the new information.
    It's tough to decipher which information applies to the 4.4 and which applies to the 3.0. The black trim is always there on the 3.0. The 4.4 comes with the chrome trim (around the windows) and is "upgraded" with the package to the black trim. I think the chrome is UGLY but that's just this kids opinion. There are a lot of other things that apply only to one vehicle and not the other. I learned by asking a ton of questions on bimmer.org and at the dealer. Some questions had to be called in to BMWNA for answers. (Yes, I am an exceptionally detailed person...it kinda haunts me sometimes. )

I try to be very positive. I have been an active member of edmunds.com for about a year and a half (mostly in the MDX section as I had planned on purchasing one til I actually drove it {sorry MDXer!} and other misc. SUV topics) and I don't think I have ever posted a negative message before. There are a lot of people here who know me (by my messages) and know the kind of person I am. That unfortunate experience pushed me beyond anything and that was the only way I coped with the whole rotten situation. But that's behind me and I'm human again. And a little smarter...I hope.

So far this vehicle has been everything I have hoped for. I expect that it is going to have some quirks and so be it. I do expect it to be mechanically sound and thus far it is that. I will report any problems as they arise.

Let me know what you decide on. I love to hear what people get in their new babies!
  • luehringsluehrings Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for some 2002 X5 info., if it is available. I had heard the 2002 X5 was going to have a higher price tag, but with more standard features. What have others heard? Also, any ideas as to when 2002's can be ordered.
  • rstippettrstippett Member Posts: 1
    I have driven my new X-5 3.0 about 2000 miles and have had it stall 4 times -- all at low speed with turns of varying type. The dealer has been sympathetic and at one point provided a factory suggested re programming of some chip. This did not solve the problem.

I am very concerned about the safety factor of losing braking and steering power suddenly while the car is still moving, even though it be at slow speed.

Has anyone found the proper fix for this problem? I'll look for your response.

Thanks,

Bob, The 76er.
    I know there were two fixes to the software in the vehicle. The second software upgrade was supposed to be taken care of the stalling issue about 2 or 3 months ago. Did you get the 2nd software upgrade?
  • x5loux5x5loux5 Member Posts: 7
    Can any one explain the different options to set up the key functions? I am getting my X5 3.0i in about 2 weeks.Silver with black interior, can't wait. I have had problems posting before so I hope this makes it!
    Ms joanne, I think you got a raw deal at the BMW dealer where your X5 was hit. Stay away from them. I hope I have as much fun with my X5 as you seem to be having.
    Kpfleger, that was a great site, thanks. Did you do this as a college project or just for fun?
    Lou
    There are several which your sales person will go over with you when you take delivery of your vehicle. I pulled this list off www.bimmer.org from their archives as I thought that the folks who read Edmumds would like it, too.

If it is active it means your X will already be programmed for that feature to operate. If Inactive you will have to have your dealer change the program for you if you want it to automatically work (or work at all).

I don't recall is this is complete or not but it's close if not.here is a list of options and their standard settings according to the sheet:

I. Car Memory:

1. Daytime Running Lights - not active. when active, your low beam (inner pair of lights) comes on...not your xenon.

2. Pathway lighting - active. can trigger by flashing high beams after ignition is off.

3. Driver's sear position memory - not active

4. Armed alarm confirmation signal - arm/disarm confirmed both visually and audibly.

II. Key memory

1. Auto locking after car in motion - not active (Ed: Watch this one...I heard from several people that unlocking was a problem and they actually got stuck inside of the car. It wasn't confirmed that this was the reason but after asking some questions this was the only correlate I could determine. For whatever that is worth. Joanne)

2. Selective central locking - active. press unlock once, releases driver's door. press twice releases all locks.

3. Climate control settings memory - always active. Car duplicates the same CC settings as the last time that key was used.
    ms_joanne

I was wondering what your off road experience has been like? Do you do much traveling off road with your X5? If you've experienced any difficulty with it, in what manner?
    I had my 4Runner for hard core off roading. I am through with that. The most offroad this little gal is going to get is driving through the field that you have to take to get to my boyfriends mother's house on Long Island sound...hope she never pisses off that farmer or she will be accessible only via boat! (grin)

Other than that (unless you consider the heavily torn up roads Chicago has now due tot he winter weather) I don't see her going too far off the beaten path.

Sorry...not too much help there.
  • x5loverx5lover Member Posts: 11
    I've seen the mud flaps under accessories of the x5 section on the BMW Web.

Check it out at:http://www.bmwusa.com/start.cfm

Go in there, then choose x5 and click on accessories. You will see it. But no pictures of the mud flaps are posted there.

If anyone knows any place or site is selling X5 accessories, please let me know.
  • shorrshorr Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 X5 3.0 sport pkg. A squeak from the rear hatch since delivery, had it back to the shop for rear hatch adjustments cant seem to get it fixed. any other X5 owners have this problem if so what is the fix. Thanks
  • sealseal Member Posts: 3
    I have had my X5 for a week. For most of the week it has been raining. I noticed yesterday that "white stuff" was dripping from the front of the doors. It looks like lithium grease. I tracked it back to the weep holes under the door. I imagine that water is traveling down through the door (a certain amount is normal) and washing away the grease that lubricates the windows.

I called the dealership and have an appoinment on Monday.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?
    either here or at www.bimmer.org/x5/messages

You may want to post your query there. There are many more X5 owners there than here. I read that board regularly and haven't heard of this one as of yet.
  • x5loux5x5loux5 Member Posts: 7
    Ms Joanne, thanks for the tips on options. I also went to the bimmer.org site for additional info.
    Hopefully I get my X5 in the next week, so I'll let you know my experiences.
    Thanks. I couldn't find anything on the bimmer board either. I am not that concerned. The vehicle is quality and the dealership is good. I'll post something when I find out what it is.
    Quick update: I had it at the dealership this morning. The white material is Cosmoline (spell?). They said it is normal for it to wash away. No worries.
    I ordered a silver X5 3.0 in early Dec. It will be built in production week 6. After researching and reading on this and other websites, I called my BMW sales guy to inquire. After listing off several of the most common issues being reported he's acting like a D*umbass and saying he's never heard of any of these things (tailgate button, Check Engine Light, Open Tailgate light, key/seat memory, random locking door problems, etc...). As a consumer he's really insulting me. I would go to another dealership but I've already waited over 6 weeks. You would think all these BMW service bulletins would be shared, in some form, with the salesforce. Or, maybe it's just easier for him to act like an ignorant employee and DAK this stuff. What I'm really in search of is someone to say YES, these problems are being addressed and won't affect your vehicle..blah, blah. Does anyone know a technically oriented BMW Service Manager that is "Current" on X5 issues? A first name, dealership main #, whatever would be greatly appreciated.
    I really liked and trusted my sales person and when I asked him a similar question he was honestly clueless. I think you would have better luck asking any service person (not just a manager) for they know more about that than sales does.

I wouldn't doubt it if sales remained clueless on purpose so they could avoid those issues but that is speculation on my part.

Thus far I have not experienced any of the issues you mentioned. :)
  • hoos1hoos1 Member Posts: 13
    Anyone have any insight/experience with the dealers in Atlanta? I live close to Global but don't know anything about them or the others. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    The X5 is hands down the best SAV/SUV on the market. That is why I have a deposit on a black on black loaded 3.0 for my wife. We are supposed to pick the vehicle up in Chicago on Wednesday. It is a surprise gift for her, but I am the one that has recently been surprised.

I recently read the new Automobile magazine which has a feature on all the new SUV's. The stated cargo dimensions for the X5 seem like they must be a
    misprint. How can there only be 16.1 Cubic Feet behind the second row? That would mean that the Acura and ML almost have as much behind their third
    row. It also means that the LX470, 2002 Escalade, Durango, and Sequoia all have more room behind their third row than the X5 has behind its second.
    Even worse, that would mean the Kia sportage and other mini SUV's(Rav4, CRV, Wrangler, Tracker, etc.) have more room! How can this be?!?

Please tell me this is a misprint. I always thought the X5 had at least comparable interior space as the ML and RX300. If the stated numbers are in fact
    true, then I don't see how the cargo area could fit luggage for two people or a big dog.
  • bernard1bernard1 Member Posts: 58
    We own a X5 and an LX. The X5 has more cargo space than whats behind the 3rd seat of the LX. It has less space than the RX or the Acura. Still a fun vehilce but for long trips we take the LX. More comfortable and we can pack more stuff inside.
    Only you can decide if you should get one. Great fun. We have only had two small problems so far: Tilt steering wheel problem and wind noise around the moonroof. Dealer fixed both problems. If you are going to keep it for an extended period of time, consider buying an extended warranty as the cost of out of warranty repairs can get expensive.
  • dcrain77dcrain77 Member Posts: 6
    The big question is should I get one. There are so many, seemingly serious, problems with the initial X5, I wonder if it is necessary to wait a year or two till the production line figures out how to implement the fixes the engineers have yet to figure out. This car will be a "keeper" for me for many years and will be a big purchase to our budget. I really don't want to make a mistake. The problems reported on other message boards make this vechile sound like it it a bunch of trouble that costs a bunch of money, but is really fun to drive. Kinda like an exotic sports car. For my situation, if true, that would make getting an X5 an absolutely insane thing to do and I would normally forget it. But I think I've got the BMW fever and would like to be stopped before I make a decision I will very much regret. Any advice?

Doug
    Here's some advice...you need to buy an SUV. Right? Well there are plenty out there to choose from. This is definitely a buyers market. Look at all you can. Then buy the one that you can afford. If you start reading an abundance of information about any one SUV/SAV you'll find enough reasons not to buy it. If you're honest with yourself you may figure out that your trying to use internet excuses to "talk" yourself out of buying this over-your-budget car. Do yourself a favor and try to find two other SUV's that have similar features. I've heard the MDX is a bargain @ $34K. Buy that one. If you want to spend $80 on dinner go to a French restaurant. If all you need is a Steak & Potato then you'll save yourself about $40. Be honest with yourself young man.
  • buford5buford5 Member Posts: 1
    I was very impressed with the X5 V8 only, However I need more room. I heard about BMW making a X7. Its basically a larger X5 with 2 back seat areas due out in 2002. Has anybody heard anything about this SUV or seeing any pictures? Thanks
  • germandoggermandog Member Posts: 8
    Is this a standard item?
    Yes it's standard. Just ask your dealer to program it.