Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Undercarriage Rust

Comments

• celliotcelliot Member Posts: 1
    I had my rear bumper rust right through on my 2011 Silverado. It had spots all over within the first two months of ownership. I guess you get what you pay for. While I never did fall in love with the looks of the thing it was the cheapest truck on the market at the time. But after a few months in I began to see why. The interior had squeaks all over. The seats were very poor quality and collected lint. I had little dents all over the body which I still have no idea where they came from. I don't even use the truck to haul things, only to tow a small trailer. There is also wind noise in the cabin coming from the front I've yet to identify where. GM did replace the rear bumper after fighting with them about it. However, the dealers body shop told me this is common. The guy even told me they go out and wipe off rust spots from the bumpers while they're still on the lot for sale. They also mentioned that the clearcoat on my wheels will most likely go bad and flake off because it's been an ongoing issue for several years as they're made in China of all places. I was disgusted when they told me that. I guess I'll have to fight GM on the rims too if they flake away. Something is seriously wrong with the metal this company has been using for several years. With all of the talk about rust, I can see why my sons Grand Am rotted away so fast. It was most likely made from the same source. I went through that GM page and sure enough, it's just yet another common issue. I'm so sick and tired of GM. This is my last GM purchase I can tell you that. We gave that company billions and after 2 years I still can't buy a quality truck from them. What a nightmare.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/124161-rusty-front-bumper-after-only-3-mon- ths/

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/130892-rust/
  • kendonhankkendonhank Member Posts: 61
    Government Motors!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear what happened with your Silverado. If you'd like, I can look up any applicable warranties or service bulletins on this issue. I'd just need you to provide the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • casillacasilla Member Posts: 20
    My wheels are bad as well! The bumpers too! You are right the price seemed right, but I had Dodge trucks before this, and never a rust problem in the first year! 3 years down the road and it is looking like a pile! I get offered crap for a trade in because no one wants it! I would like my money back!I can go on and on about the issues besides the rust! Toyota took care of their customers with rust issues, GM should step up to the plate since we the taxpayer bailed them out!
  • 2doorpost2doorpost Member Posts: 74
    Thanks for your insight.
    Through my own efforts, I moved on.
  • tomdubyatomdubya Member Posts: 1
    Wow I was looking at possibly buying a 2008 Sierra next month now I may be re thinking that. Is there a way to know if certain trucks are effected by this corrosion by maybe the vin#. I currently own an F250 but I used to have a 95 Sierra and liked it. Maybe I should just stick with ford, I do respect the fact they didn't need a bail out.
  • ontguyontguy Member Posts: 1
    My 2012 Silverado is exhibiting excessive rust on the frame and is at the dealer today where they are scraping of loose wax coating and reapplying. I discovered this problem recently and brought it to the attention of my service department. After reading these posts I know that I'm screwed and the problem will persist. This must be a metal issue because even an uncoated frame shouldn't be as rusty as this at 20,000 miles. GM has apparently known about this problem for more than a decade as is made clear by the posts about vehicles from as far back as 1999. Nothing was done to stop this problem or I wouldn't be at the dealership today. It was while I am waiting that I discovered this forum and am now very concerned. My previous truck was a 1993 Silverado that I bought used at ten years old with 110,000 miles on it and the frame and undercarriage were mint. That truck was so good for the nine years I had it that I went out and bought a new one. Live and learn I guess. The bright side is that I'm not paying for the reapplication. The dark side is that new wax coating isn't going to solve my problem as all of you already know.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    ontguy,

I can understand how frustrating it can be to have this happening to your vehicle. Since your vehicle is new, you should still be well within the corrosion warranty. If this reoccurs please feel free to reach out to us.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • pattipie3pattipie3 Member Posts: 25
    I am so sorry you are having this problem,especially with a new truck..... but please please put in a compliant with the NHTS. The more people complain, the more attention this issue will get.
  • casillacasilla Member Posts: 20
    This is a bold faced lie! I just traded my 2010 Sierra yesterday for a Ram. You will do nothing to rectify the problem, as I was told, "all rust is environmental and warranty does not cover corrosion due to the environment" What a dumb statement! It is how you chose to make your product that helps with the issue of oxidation, which is a natural process in which metals degrade. A cheap money saving black colored wax that comes off when you put the truck on a lift, like General Motors coats the undercarriage with, is not sufficient enough to prevent rust for any period of time longer than your first oil change. I have worked in the paint coatings industry for 25 years, and it is a fact that a properly prepared piece of structural steel that is coated with an adequate finish will stop the oxidation process.
  • jh6959jh6959 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 2500hd diesel rust bucket with 58,000 miles I will never buy another gm getting rid of all 3
  • 03silverad03silverad Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I lost the brakes on my 03 Silverado and just made it around another car in front of me without hitting them. I looked under the truck and the brake line that was visible had rust on it,I got the truck home slid under it and all the lines were shot, I pulled on one and it fell apart! into 3 pieces. I replaced ALL the brake lines with the new copper nickel brake line. after I was done I looked at every other type of line under the truck. I found several with rust but the power steering line is just about rotten so that is next to be replaced. I cleaned all the other lines as much as I could with wire brush and emery paper. and then painted the lines with 2 coats of rust bullet. It is quite disgusting that the shortcut on the quality of the steel that GM used should be suspect especially on the brake lines the metallurgy really should be checked. I have a 03 Toyota Camry and the brake lines are perfect and the is no rust anywhere Hmm I guess Toyota uses better steel in there brake lines. My rockers are just starting to show rust from the inside out so it is to late for those they will have to be fixed. Shame on GM for putting profits before safety.
    Please file a formal complaint with the NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.gov/
    The only way this will get attention is if enough people complain. Also if only the lines are what is rusted out you are lucky... many people ( myself included) have severe frame rusting. Shame on GM !!!!!!
  • dan182dan182 Member Posts: 2
    I experienced complete brake failure on my 2000 silverado 1500. No warning, catastrophic failure. Had this happened 5 minutes later it would be going down a two mile winding hill. Death or injury guaranteed. Lines were corroded and failed driver side where they were bundled together. Replaced front lines, a month later rear line failed going into caliper.

Sent registered letters to Pres. of GM, Consumer Reports, Public Citizen, NHTSA telling them of problem. GM responded but denied liability, also saying if problem was admitted it would cause a panic. NHTSA recorded my complaint. Consumer Reports and Public Citizen no response.

All I want is that people owning these trucks be warned of the eminent brake failure that awaits them. No one will do this. The problem is poor engineering design or bad metal used for the lines.
    Well said!
  • dougn62dougn62 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 chevy Silverado extended cab and the rocker panels, tailgate and frame are all rusted out. I was just starting to replace parts and came across this blog. not very happy with the news. Not sure now if i should keep putting money into the truck or just sell it. I am going to check out the brake lines tomorrow.
    very very unhappy with GM. I may go back to Ford.

DougN62
  • dinocarrinodinocarrino Member Posts: 2
    I want to start a class action law suit but don't know how to go about it , my 2010 chevy truck undercarriage looks like a 20 year old truck , any ideas ?
  • dinocarrinodinocarrino Member Posts: 2
    it wont get any better , they redid mine and it just washes off . I have a 2010 and is rusting so bad . I want to start a class action law suit , not sure how to go about it ./ any ideas ?
  • kendonhankkendonhank Member Posts: 61
    Dino,

The best way to proceed is with a small claims suit. Email me at [email protected] to discuss.

Ken
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    If you live near the Canadian border I suggest you stop at a place called "Rust Check" or "Krown Rust." They can apply an oil-based product that penetrates all the seams on the vehicle which slows down the rusting process. It's an annual treatment that costs about $150 (Canadian). When I had lived in Ontario, Canada, I had it done each year and my vehicles had little to no rust, even vehicles 10 to 15 years old. Good luck.
  • lynch43lynch43 Member Posts: 1
    My wife & I took a trip to Niagara Falls from Milford Pa when our brake line snapped. I thought that since we where far from home that it would be better to spend the extra money & take our truck to the dealer "Very big MISTAKE" We took our truck to David Chevrolet where we were showed on the lift how much of a rust problem we had, after 2 hrs of waiting we were told that we were looking at $1600.00 of repairs" back calipers & brake lines" to get the truck back on the road.The next day our truck was all ready with $900.00 of our bill was for labor, when we left we still had low to the floor braking. 2 weeks later after having the same problem I called to see if we could go to our local dealer to bleed our brakes. Upon inspection we were told that we had another "at least" $1700.00 of repairs to fix brake lines,front calipers etc, & was told that I was ripped off at David Chevrolet "I paid 8hrs of labor for the line repair when the rest of my lines were still rusted & that they would had replaced my entire lines in 6hrs, also we paid for 25 ft of brake line & only 6 ft were used" The next day I called GM to report the problem, was then told that they would get back to me in 48hrs, a week later I called, left a message, the following day I got a return call, then was told that it's a maintenance issue & that there was nothing further they would do. So not only do we have all the rust problems, we also got ripped off at David Chevrolet!
  • hball01hball01 Member Posts: 7
    The ONLY thing GM did right was do split the brakes into 2 zones, front and back – at least on my 2001 2500 HD. That way, when it pops (and it will, way too early) you at least have a chance to stop. GM used unprotected steel lines, meaning they ARE NOT designed for states that use any road salt. I don’t agree with no recall on this, but the owner’s manual should, at a minimum, offer the lifesaving owners warning: “cover all brake lines with rust inhibitor before exposing to the elements, or drive at your own risk.” In my humble opinion, they knew this and said nothing, sentencing some people to die, for what? Profits – a few pennies more on the initial lines, and lots of $$$ ($1600 in your case) for replacement. I replace all my brake lines last year (truck still in the low 40K miles). I am lucky enough to have a friend that knew what he was doing. A couple hundred dollars in parts. So, screw you GM, you missed out on my $1600. By the way. They do make brake lines that inhibit rust for a few pennies more. Make sure your replacements are the good stuff. My advice: if you’re reading this and you own an older GM, start planning for a total brake line replacement, and just do it now and get it over with. By the way, sorry to hear about your problem. If you can make it home (does your rear zone still work? You could drive back roads slowly), you can probably find a local garage, not affiliated with a dealer, that would love to do the job for under $1000 – even $800. Even the dealer doesn't keep special brake lines in stock. All the garages buy brake lines at your local auto parts store. From there, it’s just a matter of taking the old ones off, and bending new ones as close as you can to the old ones. Oh, and don’t forget to replace the hose lines at each wheel. The little devils at GM made those with a 2 inch section of unprotected steel where they mount to the calipers. That’s rusting off also. And is as much of a pop hazard as your brake lines. Your calipers may look bad, but that’s a big hunk of metal. You’re probably fine to reusing those for another 20 to 40K miles. Good luck.
  • hball01hball01 Member Posts: 7
    I was a little quick on my first rant (post 226). I just fully reread your post (225). That stinks. I'd be tempted to take GM to small claims court for letting dealers steel form customers. $1600 should have more that replaced all your brake lines and hoses and calipers. And the 2nd $1700 couldn't have reused any of the first job? It sounded like the first job should have been almost half done (more lines are used on the front than back). Small claims court doesn't cost a lot of $$$, and if you drag it out (first GM, then David Chevrolet, then your local dealer), that will make them spend money defending themselves. They might settle. I'd like to see the 3 of them defending $3300 for a $1000 brake job. Start with an estimate from a local garage, before calling. Stay pissed off, don't take no for an answer, and keep going up the management chain (your local dealer, the regional franchise manager, corporate sales management. Let them know you are now a marketing terrorist (that is a term I heard in business school: one who spends all efforts on anti marketing activities, getting the word out about a bad product and/or service). Work with the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. All I can say about GM: never more.
  • henion86henion86 Member Posts: 1
    do you park your truck in a heated garage in the winter?
  • patrickupatricku Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 2500 duramax and the cross members on the bed had rusted
    out that is the only thing on my truck is rusted it had 68000 mil on it when
    i seen it i called gm and they gave me a case number and came to look at it
    they offered me a $3000 rebate on a new one i said no so i was thanking of fixing it my self and filming it with my case number and the mans name at gm on cardboard and tell my story. my truck cost around $ 50000 new.
  • gm_never_againgm_never_again Member Posts: 1
    WHEN I PURCHASED MY 2003 GM TRUCK, I ASKED ABOUT HAVING RUST PROOFING FOR THE TRUCK. THE GM DEALER SAID IF I HAD IT RUST PROOFED IT WOULD VOID MY WARRANTY. WISH I HAD. THIS CRAP WITH THE BREAK LINES AND UNDERCARRIAGE RUSTING OUT AND FAILING IS UNACCEPTABLE. I'VE LIVED IN NEW ENGLAND MY WHOLE LIFE AND NEVER HAD A VEHICLES' BRAKES FAIL OR RUST THROUGH LIKE THIS '03 GM. STARTING WITH A '66 CHEVY PICKUP I BOUGHT IN 1978 AND THE UNDERCARRIAGE WOULD HAVE BEEN CONSIDERED PRISTINE COMPARED TO MY 2003 GM. ALL MY OTHER VEHICLES NEVER CAME CLOSE TO WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS '03 GM. WE DIDN'T GET A WARNING FROM GM THAT IT WAS POSSIBLE TO HAVE BRAKE FAILURE DUE TO GM BEING CHEAP S.O.B.'S. I WOULD HAVE BROUGHT MY TRUCK IN IMMEDIATELY. WE'RE STILL OWED THAT SO OTHERS DON'T HAVE TO FIND OUT LIKE THE MAJORITY OF US HAVE. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART ON YOUR VEHICLE IS BRAKES, HELLO STAINLESS STEEL, IT WOULDN'T ADD THAT MUCH COST TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. AFTERMARKET STAINLESS KITS ARE BETWEEN $300 AND $400, IMAGINE GM'S BUYING POWER IF THEY ARE TO LAZY TO DO IT THEMSELVES. MY DAUGHTERS WERE WITH ME BOTH TIMES MY BRAKES BLEW OUT, THANKFULLY NOBODY WAS HURT, JUST NEEDED UNDERWEAR CHANGES. I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF PUTTING SOMETHING TOGETHER FOR A NEWS STATION "HELP ME" TYPE SECTION. PEOPLE NEED TO BE INFORMED OF THE DANGER. PEOPLE ARE LOOSING THEIR BRAKES DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY DOING SEVENTY MPH AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THEY NEED TO STOP. ADD A BOAT, LOADED TRAILER OR CAMPER TO THAT AND IT TURNS INTO A DOUBLE NIGHTMARE. GM IS PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE WITH THEIR CUSTOMERS LIVES. I'M GOING TO A GM DEALER TO SEE WHAT THEY WILL GIVE ME FOR A TRADE-IN AND WHEN I LEAVE, THERE WILL BE BIG FLAKES OF RUST WERE MY TRUCK WAS PARKED. MONTHLY YOU CAN SEE RUST CONSUME MY TRUCK MORE. GM YOU'RE FAILING US. THANKS, JUST VENTING
  • luvtheusluvtheus Member Posts: 1
    Try using some Amsoil HD Metal Protector spray. I coated the underside of my 2002 Silverado after I bought it. I sprayed it on all the brake lines and all other components under the body. This stuff is GREAT. It dries to a wax like state and remains flexable, unlike the "rubberized" undercoating in a spray can. This product is top notch and works better than anything else I have ever seen or used. It costs about 7 bucks a can and goes a long way. As of this date I have ZERO corrosion anywhere on my truck. Note, I am in no way an Amsoil dealer so I am not trying to sell this product to anyone. If you want the best protection out there, then give this stuff a try. You will not be disappointed with it. The underside of my truck with 123,000 plus miles still looks new. It really is unbelievable stuff.
  • stevecwb22stevecwb22 Member Posts: 1

In the over 30 years I have been plowing snow in Maryland, I have owned several trucks which I purchased new. I have owned a 1985 Ford F250 4X4, 1986 F350 4x2 Stakebody, 1995 Ford F250 4X4 and a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500HD 4X4. The last truck I purchased new was a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4. All of the trucks have had some issues with rust, however the Silverado has by far been the worst. Just about every part of the undercarriage and frame is affected. I have replace front and rear brake lines, steering pump and lines, brake calipers and many other parts. I washed this truck (top and underneath) as soon as possible after every storm (I gave this truck more care than any of the previous trucks). The problems started at around 5 years, 50,000 miles. The truck currently has about 80,000 miles on it. The interior looks almost new, the body sheet metal and paint are in excellent condition. I gave up plowing snow in 2012 because the cost of maintenance and repair on the truck was too much and I didn't want to buy another truck. I had the front brake lines replaced at that time and parked the truck. Recently, I started the truck, as I was going to sell it. It started, but when I attempted to move it the rear brake lines broke again. Best of all, the driveshaft broke in half - it had rusted through. I have had several different mechanics work on the truck through the years and all were amazed at the amount of rust on the truck. I have always been a GM person ( I still own a 1993 GMC Sierra 1500 4X2 and a 2000 GMC Savanna Box Truck), but I will never purchase another Chevy or GMC. When these two are done, that's it. I realize that not everyone has the same experience, but I just wanted to share mine.

• makakilomakakilo Member Posts: 1

Glad I found this forum. Dealers had me on a guilt trip, which I truly felt bad about.
    The usual story here, 2005 Silverado HD2500 Duromax, loaded, Tow, snow plowing packages.
    As of January 29, 2014, this 2005 has only 20,115 miles. Bought it new, garaged 9 months of the year, never on snow, tow a single horse 50 miles once a week during summer show season.
    Yes, the rust...2 dealerships admonished me for abusing the truck by parking on grass during the horse shows. At 10,459 miles replaced all brake lines, all rotors and pads, and steering shaft and shocks, but warned of a rotted arm shaft pocket.. No warranty..."neglect" cited. But, more, at 13,007 replaced all break lines and front and rear calipers..again that damn grass. Tonight it is again in the dealership...new brake lines and new front rear calipers, and a worn transmission link arm, at 20,115 miles, again admonished for parking on summer grass. The rust is severe, not just surface. I actually believed that I was responsible for the rust.
    Seriously, thank everyone who has posted on this forum.
    CT

• jordan40jordan40 Member Posts: 109

@mram50 said:
    Rust doesn't go away..it just keeps creeping in, but on the frame, unless you live in a high road salt area it shouldn't be a major problem, but if it gets real bad you might consider sand blasting it, painting to cover the pitting or if its REAL bad welding some new steel in there, but frames are generally pretty darn strong and can withstand quite a bit of rust..
    Sorry about the extra post I had to delete.. I'm new here..just trying to figure out how the boards work.

new york for example. my truck is an 08. but it is completely rusted on its under body. and my abuse of that truck does not help. and sand blasting might be the best choice. kept the under coating up to date except a year ago. so it deffinitely is a problem

• jpfjpf Member Posts: 496

If anyone lives near the Canadian border, you may want to try one of two places that uses an oil-based product. The outfits are called Rust Check and Krown Rust. When I had lived in Canada, I had it done every year. It is an annual treatment and costs between $150 and $200. It doesn't remove rust but prevents rust from spreading because it displaces the moisture in all the crevices underneath the vehicle, under the hood, and in the trunk.

• suzanne98suzanne98 Member Posts: 1

I own a 2005 GMC Sierra and just recently took a look underneath, as usually I leave that up to the shop. I noticed a TON of rust. Even the underside of the passenger side door and then main truck body under the door opening the paint is starting to peel where the rust isn't just coming through. I have not looked further under yet, but am afraid of what's happening. If there is anything happening with a warranty or class action directly with GMC I'd be interested to know more! I've never owned a vehicle that has rusted out like this underneath. Its pretty frustrating and now has greatly reduced any trade in value, for those smart enough to look underneath! Thanks!

• ltvette2ltvette2 Member Posts: 2

I am glad I found this discussion. Tried the Chevy Silverado forum, and half the people there think that I am being a baby because my truck frame is rusting away. A 2008 Silverado with only 17k, always garaged, should not have all the rubberized undercoating peeling off and rust setting in. Rust will continue. Yes it is surface rust....and it will delve deeper if exposed. Has anyone tried rust bullet? No body shop around wants to touch it, or wants to pull the vehicle all apart to fix. Kinda on my own with this issue...

• visserattvisseratt Member Posts: 2

I have a 2013 Silverado... the front chrome grille has rust bleeding through. My GM chrome wheels have rust bleeding onto the tires. you need a tetanus shot to get near my frame already. I have never been so disappointed in a purchase. My 2002 Silverado is in better shape and has been in the same driving conditions. Am I to believe technology has gone backwards? I know complaining and lawsuits get you no where but frustrated. Big business is design for "buyer beware" I am opting to spread the knowledge through social media. I will be relentless in educating as many people as I can so they realize what they get with GM vehicles. I am one market share lost... after my campaign I hope that's a much bigger number! Good Job GM!

• visserattvisseratt Member Posts: 2

Go to off road forums... go to classic car forums...hell go to basket weaving forums... facebook... anywhere you go leave a post on how Shady GM treats their market shares!

• ltvette2ltvette2 Member Posts: 2

It is amazing how badly these trucks are rusting (Silverado)...My 2004 GMC van has only a third of the rust and has stayed outside with 4 times the mileage on it. Wonder if I can save the Silverado? Now that I am starting to notice it, rust is showing up everywhere on this vehicle...

• freyfisherfreyfisher Member Posts: 1

I have a 2001 Siverado (54,000 mi.), live in NH, and of course have severe rust issues . I have had three ABS failures, causing inadequate braking as if on ice. I suspect I am not alone in losing all confidence in Chevy. As far as self-undercoating goes.....My previous trucks (2 Toyotas, a Ford and even a '64 Chevy) didn't need this to last much longer. I'll never buy another Chevy SLIVERado.

• 2014sierra2014sierra Member Posts: 1

My 2014 Sierra already has frame rust and I've only had it 6 months. The black wax frame coating is peeling off. I know there is a TSB for this issue, however, unless GM, is going to redo my entire frame, what good is spot treatment? I have rust starting along the entire length of the rails, which by the way are a closed box section, in lieu of the open C-section they used to be, that didn't trap moisture. I got rid of my 2000 Silverado due to the body (rockers & cab corners) rusting away to literally nothing. Now with my brand new 2014 I can worry about the frame rotting away? I do not know if Ford, or Dodge are any better, but they can't be any worse either!

• steve563steve563 Member Posts: 1
    I'm glad I found this. I'm done with Chevrolet trucks. Nothing but rust, rust and more rust. These are Not the same quality built Chevy trucks like I had in the 1990's anymore. I've seen original paint Chevy trucks from the 1960's with hardly any rust. Yet we get this crap after only a few years? I kept my last 1995 until I traded it in on my 2004. It had No rust! When you spend 40,50,60 thousand dollars on a truck, it should last a good 20 years or more. And you shouldn't be seeing a spec of rust until after a solid 10.

My last 2004 Silverado had so much rust I thought it was a fluke. So I traded it in. Just in time too because then I started seeing them everywhere. History is repeating itself on the
    2008. It doesn't have rocker panels to rot away but the bed is rotting away just as fast if not Faster! I try to trade in on a 2014 Silverado and get the wheel well protection moldings this time like GM gives the new GMC and the Chevrolet dealer says no. Well forget them. Not after the wheel well rust I've dealt with the last ten years on two different model trucks. After fighting over this rust issue on our Silverado it's over. I told myself I should have switched over to Ford 7 years ago but I stayed loyal. I attempted to stay loyal like a fool again. I'm Glad the Chevrolet dealer wouldn't give me rust protection. Dodge, Ford, maybe Nissan here I come. I'm just sick of this.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Silverado/2007/body_paint/clearcoat_and_paint_problems.shtml

Oh, and I had the notorious brake line issues too. Mounted right on a frame that was rusted just as bad! Here's another link I found that wasn't listed in these posts yet. I can't believe this stuff.

http://nlpc.org/stories/2014/05/18/gm-rusted-brake-line-problem-extends-newer-models
  • pmcvinneypmcvinney Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    I to have a 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 and right behind the t bars the frame is shot these frames on these trucks are tin at best why in the world has gm not been forced to buy the widow makers back !!! This truck model and years are a joke at best the heart beat of America my foot has any body started a class action law suit if so I want to jump aboard if not some one please email maybe we can start one [Email removed]
  • gmc_chrisgmc_chris Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2015
    Same story here. I just bought a 2012 Sierra. Love my truck, but I noticed right away the black coating was peeling off the frame and the frame seemed too rusty for a 3 year old pickup. This truck was in Chilhowie VA and I live in Weber City, just across the border from Kingsport TN. In other words, seasonal road salt, not harsh winters year after year. Most of the problem is concentrated on the back. My dad has an older GMC 2500 HD (mid-2000's) and I am going to check under his. I have zero rust issues besides the frame. Anywhere not covered with the black wax seems to have normal corrosion. I'm actually glad this is a common problem, not because I'm happy all of you are having trouble, but because it means I didn't just get a dud. I'll have my GM dealer (bought it off a Ford lot because the former owner apparently lost his mind! :) ) look at it when I take it in for its first oil change and to make sure it's up to snuff on maintenance. I know the story I'll get, but hey, gotta try! I'm not too stressed, because I have a 1993 G20 van that I thought was going to colapse any minute when I got it and its still going strong. Just need to stay on top of it and make sure its surface rust, not structural. I honestly thought rust was a thing of the past, this is rather disappointing.
  • gmc_chrisgmc_chris Member Posts: 2
    I did file a complaint with the NHTSA, that's the best way to get GM to do anything.
  • poppy23poppy23 Member Posts: 1
    have a 1999 GMC Siera 2500, it has 60k miles on it. In the winter we have a specail washer we use to keep the salt washed off. have had to replace brake lines, front bumpers, it needs the rear bumper and a frame. The frame is so rusted where the gear box mounts it is tring to pull off. Thats on the left side and the right side is equally as rusted, Looks as if the front cross member is going to break off both ends of the frame. Has holes in frame, behind the front differential. Nasty scally rust. NOT a natural occurance. This rust is in my opionin a SUPER rust that has consumed the truck. WHY??? Looks great otherwise. GM trucks we have had over the years, 1968, 1969, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1997, this 1999, 2002. So it not like we have never seen rust. Just not this fast consuming rust. None of the other trucks have had this super scaling super rust that this 99 GMC has!
  • nomoregmcsnomoregmcs Member Posts: 1
    If you all had any idea how many thousands of dollars I have spent to keep a 2004 Yukon Denali xl on the road due to corrosion issues you would be shocked.  Many thousands over time...Over 6k in the past 3 months and it still needs 2700 more.  And the frame is too rotten to get a state inspection sticker anyway.  GMC customer services was no help.  Dealer that unethically conducted the repairs without disclosing the condition of the vehicle is in denial. Lawyers now involved. Hopefully the State of Maine attorney Generals office will be of Assistance.   If not, to court we go.  
  • gmbusmangmbusman Member Posts: 2
    gmcustsvc said:christina.  I have a 2004 gmc sierra with alot of frame  rust have replaced all the brake lines and in the process of rocker panels but the frame is bothering me is th ere any help from gm ? 
    cookn1, I apologize for your frustrations. I would recommend speaking with you dealer of choice. Please update me on your situation. Christina GM Customer Service

• gmbusmangmbusman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 gms sierra with alot of frame rust just like others I see here . If gm is not going to adress this matter will they look the other way  if I trade it in ? 
  • steve_snelsteve_snel Member Posts: 3
    I love my truck and baby it. 2000 Chevy LS Silverado 4wd. Its a rust bucket. Frame, Calipers, all suspension related parts, rock guards, rocker panels doors wheel wells brake lines (caused multiple almost accidents). For idiots yes idiots denying these corrosion issues on these specific year trucks can go crap in a hat. I have been replacing parts endlessly to stay safe only 140k on the truck. Engine interior trans are mint other than leaks. Every person i know have talked to seen on the road looked at etc... exact same issues down to the drivers side running light out. The rust starts and it moves fast cant stop it. Cant pass this down to my son. This hit years ago and i have been fighting the rust to keep it running, because i need a truck. I will buy the new ford, nissan or dodge next truck. Love my truck just a rust bucket . Just sitting on my driveway with stuff falling off and leaking differential fluid, engine oil, gas, not brake fluid all lines got replaced. Really only spots that don't rust is where oil leaks are. Live in Cincinnati area so yes salt exists and make your vehicles to better handle those conditions... I do own a newer equinox and hope it doesn't go down that same path.
    Chevy trucks are all over. Thier advertising and unsatified customers from other brands are selling/buying there trucks. They have lost return customers for trucks. They are still in business so I guess that plan is working. Ford using aluminum is genius gaining the majority of old chevy truck owners. I understand each brand has its issues dodge tranny, ford ??? But literally falling apart sitting in your driveway from corrosion with that year truck and from the sound of it it continues to new models. Pick ur poison. Rather replace an engine than every piece under a chevy truck. Majority of dealers are offering lifetime warranty with engine etc... rust you are hosed!
    Or lease a chevy and give it back to them to rust. That's a good idea. Don't own one for sure.
  • travisv1travisv1 Member Posts: 1
    Add mine to the list...2005 Chevy Silverado LS with 140K. Leaf spring shackle failed last year, putting a hole in the bed. Brake line just failed. Frame crossmember failed that supports the gas tank. Frame too far gone and not wroth the money to fix. Filed a safety complaint with NHSTA. My next truck will not be a Chevy.