Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• cekscceksc Member Posts: 20
    One of the happiest times of my life was turning in my BMW X5. I had nothing but problems with the car and BMW was able to fix few of them. I can particularly appreciate how bad the X5 was now that I have the Lexus GX. It is by far the best SUV I have ever had the pleasure to drive. A superior drive, a more beutiful interior and many more sophisticated gadgets (including a great navigation system). Consider the GX over the X5. I was disappointed with the Volvo xC90. Like the BMW it has impressive exterior styling but fails to live up to its price tag.
  • asoposasopos Member Posts: 2
    What can I expect to pay over invoice for a 4.4 in the Atlanta area? Any suggestions for negotiating for this purchase?
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I am a very satisfied owner of a 02 330 I, my first BMW. It's been very reliable and a blast to drive. My wife's lease is up on ML320 which was not a very reliable SUV. I test drove X5 and loved it. It drives very much like a large 3.

A few questions: Is reliability a issue here?

What changes for 04 and is worth the wait?

What's a good price vs invoice or retail?

Is the upgraded radio worth the price, it was on my 3.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info,
  • rjohn5rjohn5 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning on buying a BMW X-5 with sports package.
    My test drive showed the SP to be too firm compared to the STd version.

Is this true?

If the ride is too harsh, why would any one buy this?

Also. what is a good price for a 2001 X5 with Navigation, sounds ystem and sports package.
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    Q. Is reliability a issue here?
    A. Yes, but not too much larger than the average car these days. Just use a dealer that will work with you in case you have an issue or two.

Q. What changes for 04 and is worth the wait?
    A. There is a cosmetic facelift to freshen the X5 until its redo in 3 years. The V8 is now a better unit, like used in the 745. HP is greater, but torque is similar. Some will notice, most will not.

Q. What's a good price vs invoice or retail?
    $2000 - $2500 south of MSRP is probably doable. Focus on a good dealer.

Q. Is the upgraded radio worth the price, it was on my 3.
    A. Most people say no. But, YMMV.

Good luck,

Jack
    I don't think the Sport Package on the X% is as desirable on the X% as it is on the 3 or 5 sedan. My wife's X5 does not have SP, but my 530i has SP.

I think the major reasons for the SP being popular include:
    1. The wheels, tires, steering wheel and black headliner being more attractive to some.
    2. Some people want all the "buttons".
    3. The feeling that a "real" BMW should have SP. Again, this applies more to the 3 and 5 series, but not really to the X5, IMHO.

Good luck,

Jack
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Consider getting the all season tires as opposed to the larger rim/lower profile performance tires if you live in an area that gets some snow. The all season will give you greater performance in snow, slick and any potential dirt road scenarios.
  • asoposasopos Member Posts: 2
    just purchased 4.4 and i live in the atl area, but i purchased out of town, great price compared to atlanta dealers, not a problem since bmw has performance pick up available in greenville...if interested in name of dealership and salesman send me a message
  • jesinglejesingle Member Posts: 4
    I haven't noticed too much discussion on 3.0 pricing in the DC Area. Has anyone purchased the 3.0 with Premium pkg, xenon, cold weather? If so, which dealership. Thanks.
  • latifslatifs Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have experience with the order tracking on the Bmw site? My wife has been anxiously monitoring the production of her car on the site (thank heavens for the internet! Otherwise she would have me call the dealer everyday with, "is it ready yet?").

It now says a scheduled delivery date of July 9th. Is the information on there reliable? If so,how soon after that can she expect to actually have the car?
    My wife's X5 was delivered on 2-28-03. We followed the progress and found it to be accurate. It was hard to wait the 10 days between it being build and taking delivery. I drive by the plant twice a day, so I just wanted to "go and get it".

Good luck,

Jack
  • ric1035ric1035 Member Posts: 32
    i finally gor rid of the whining noise but in the process the ABS and brake light went on. all i did was regrounded the battery (cleaned it,made sure its bare metal)and all of the grounds located in the trunk. still some whining noise under the hood but at least not on the speakers.

please help, how do i turn these lights off ? is there a reset switch? the yellow exclamation point is lit too.

thanks
    g
  • genieboygenieboy Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know or have pictures of the upcoming facelift for teh X5? Also, besides the cosmetic changes is there anything else new for the 2004 X5? Thanks.
  • bmwdriver02bmwdriver02 Member Posts: 46
    http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000162789.cfm

Just scroll down and click on those two links that should say :
    Click here to see picture one

and
    Click here to see picture two

Picture #1 shows the front right while #2 shows the rear right side
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    I have visited 3 dealers in Montgomery County and spoke to one by phone in Fairfax. Must now check out United Buyer's prices. Maybe we can take this offline via direct email.
  • vinu_neurovinu_neuro Member Posts: 22
    Hi,
       Regarding the yellow exclamation, that is to do with the DSC (Dynamic Stability Conrol). If the exclamation is lit, the system is partially turned off. Just push the DSC switch in the front center of the dashboard, at the bottom, by the tranny shifter. You should take the vehicle to the dealer regarding the other problems. If no warranty, find a private mechanic that can work on European cars.

Good Luck!
  • vinu_neurovinu_neuro Member Posts: 22
    We just bought our first BMW, a 3.0i X5. It is a beautiful car that drives wonderfully. I am used to the conventional throttle systems used on Japanese vehicles (Honda). The kind the that use cable from the gas pedal to the throttle body. I was wondering whether the X5 3.0 has drive-by-wire throttle because I notice a slight lag from when I push the gas pedal to the point of reaction from the engine. This is most evident from a standstill. Do any of you also notice this. The conventional cable type throttle seems to react a lot faster.

Thanks for you help.
  • cooljc74cooljc74 Member Posts: 23
    Please tell us more about your deal.

Thanks in advance.
  • genieboygenieboy Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know when the 04 X5 is being released? Has anyone ordered one from a dealer yet? If so, what are the prices being qouted by the dealer for the car and the options you have ordered. I just returned a 2001 X5 3.0 and am considering another one. Just not sure if I want to go for a 03 or 04 model. Does anyone think the 04 is worth waiting for? Thanks.
    Minor makeover for 04. v8 is newer style. More horses, similar torque. Find a picture of the 04 on the internet and decide if you like it better.

It's bascially going to be the same.

Happy motoring,

Jack
  • scotthemiscotthemi Member Posts: 27
    We currently have a 2001 X5 4.4 that we are planning on trading in for a new one (pretty much the same, except probably going for the sports package this time). Any idea how much off retail I can try to get in the Dallas area, specifically Classic or Moritz (never going back to John Roberts - ever again!)

When we bought this one, there was too much demand, so no deals were to be found, but the purchasing climate seems to be more buyer friendly now, but I don't have any idea of what I can expect.

Also, if anyone has experience with either Classic or Moritz, please share.
  • rjr57rjr57 Member Posts: 7
    After being torn between the FX35, Touareg and most recently the RX330, I decided on the X5. Reading through the boards on Edmunds and the other brand-specific forums, it's clear that they all have their strengths, quirks and quality problems. But the test drive on the X5 won me over - unbelievable handling, and with very decent ride quality. I think it will be lots of fun to drive, and cross my fingers that it doesn't live in the shop.

I pick it up in a month - got black sapphire metallic, with gray and dark poplar interior. Does anyone have this color combination, or has anyone seen it on an X5? The dealer had a 5 series in that combo, and I thought it was pretty cool.
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    If you're looking for pics try ebay motors -- they've got just about every color combo under the sun if you search current & past listings. I also waited a month to pick up mine; lots of sleepless nights! Hears hoping your X5 is as trouble free as mine.
  • rjr57rjr57 Member Posts: 7
    I appreciate the help and the thoughts. I checked out ebay, and there were plenty of black X5's, but no black sapphires. [It's tough to detect the difference in pics anyway.] Maybe it's a relatively new color - or just not popular.
  • farm4farm4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a X5 with the Star spoke 57 rims(standard nonsport). Been looking to move up to a Star spoke 69. I see this rim(69) takes a 255/55R-18 tire. Would a wider tire fit on the rear rim and car, to give to give it the look of the 19" Y Spoke wheel(255/50R-19,front; 285/45R-19rear)? My dealer said that even though there are X5's with wider tires than the 255/55R18 in the rear, with this combination of rim and car, this in the biggest b/c of strut clearance. Any Help?? thanks!!
    I think he's right. The rim width is the most important factor here. I would contact the folks at TireRack.com. They can probable give you a difinitive answer.

You could go aftermarket and get a wider rim to support your need for the wider tire.

Jack
  • adfsa1adfsa1 Member Posts: 4
    I would appreciate any recent buying experiences from 3.0 owners---curious to know whether $500-$1K over invoice is feasible on the 2003 X5 3.0 Thanks
  • ajl1000ajl1000 Member Posts: 15
    Hi!
    What year did the taillights of the X5 begin appearing as a combination of red and white intead of the red and orange?

Thanks,
    AJL1000
    AJ,

I think you're looking at the difference between the sport package (clear corners --"white") and non-sport (orange). The sport package has been around since the inception of the vehicle.
  • billfishbillfish Member Posts: 16
    For the astute X5 clan here....if someone knows.. breakdown the diff between the 2. I like the 03' well enough but if they plan on using more aluminum, add'tl safety mechanisms, etc for the 04 and the price is not too elevated it might be worth waiting until they release? I understand they still have quite the inventory of 03's so that could delay the 04's release? I really have no problems with the 03'. It is now old enough that BMW should have worked most of the kinks out and actually start their brilliant innovative tinkering to this class of vehicle. Thanks.
    For 04:
    1. Front facia change with new grill. Looks smaller in front, less trucklike.
    2. 3.0 gets a 6 speed vs. the 5 speed manual.
    3. 4.4 goes to 315 hp.
    4. Bi-zenon and adaptive headlight option.
    5. Rear signal lense now clear vs. yellow.
    6. Sirius satellite radio option.
    7. 6 disk in-dash CD changer option.
    8. New standard steering wheel.
    9. Different standard and optional wheels.

Jack
    One other thing...do you have any thoughts on the % of car that is comprised of German/USA/Canada parts? If I remember correctly it was 50%G/35%U/balance C? They are assembled in SC right? I suppose that ratio is parts %? Doesn't appear to be a problem. It is very impressive facility. I have seen the spy photo of the 04's and I really didn't fall off the chair. I do like the adaptive bi-zenon in certain times. I would opt for the step auto trans. 6 speed sounds good and wife said she wouldn't object to manual but something tells me with 2 kids in the rear and having to pass something back there dictates auto. Overall, looks like I could live with a 03' or 04'. 225 hp should be enough and I love their inline 6. I am passing on the sport option. I read your comments about that option on the X5. Made sense. That steering wheel jazz...geez. Sirus is nice. Wheel options Pluhleeze...I was overwhelmed already! Now I just need to find the vehicle and fair deal. Choice: Black/grey leather/some bs prem pk/auto/right price. Thanks again Jack for your input.
    I thing the US content is about 40% now. There are many European manufacturers that have opened facilites in the Greenville/Spertanburg area in order to supply BMW.

The engine/transmission comes as one large component from the mother land. So, almost the same as the engine used in the 5 series. One interesting point, 3.0 in the 5 series has an oil capacity of 7 quarts, the 3.0 in the X5 has an oil capacity of 8 quarts.

If you go for the black exterior, check out the pastel green interior option. It is the best looking interior color for black. It also works well with the creme and light green colors.

Speaking of color, 5 new colors:
    • Mystic Blue (A07)
    • Kalahari Beige (481)
    • Toledo Blue (482)
    • Sterling Gray (472)
    • Olivine (349)

And... new interior upholstery and trim:
    • Truffle Brown Dakota Leather (LCTE)
    • Poplar Anthracite (Gray) Wood Trim (435, no charge option for the Premium Package)

Jack
    Glad to hear that about the trans. I am sure they "tinkered" and came up with 8qts. I will check that pastel green color out. I know I haven't seen it but sounds worth checking out. I do like the creme with black but I think my wife wants the darker colors like grey. She mumbled something about bubble gum, spittle, etc. I have black on black in my car and love it but who am I in this story!.. ;-) Truffle Brown Dakota. I cook with truffles..lol Lastly, when are the 04's due outif you know? Thanks.
    Thanks. I would really love to just go pick it up at the plant...Fly in, cruise for a day or 2 and break her in afterwards. Wait a minute I am getting a X5...not a Alpina! I'll just play the fax game...lol
    I couldn't tell by the tone of your message, but plant delivery is available for the X5. The delivery includes:
    - one nights lodging at the Greenville Marriott near the airport and the plant,
    - dinner at the hotel for you and guest,
    - ride to the plant in the AM,
    - explaination of cars features, etc. (delivery),
    - driving course specially designed for the X5,
    - lunch,
    - tour of plant, and
    - free time in Zentrum (museum).

There are many good driving roads in the area too.

Plant pickup can be done in about 3 weeks. Most delaers have enough vehicles in the production schedule to work things out for you.

Enjoy,

Jack
    Were talking 04's right? I think I read somewhere that production has stopped for 03's? Well that would be cool and I would have blast. I could just explain to the expecting wife that I would do all the leg work and bring her car to her!...lol. Actually, I should consider it. I was just being facetious earlier. How do you set it up?...contact a dealer,make the deal, order the car, go pick it up and drive it home?
    I checked their web site and they give some info. Basically tell the dealer and they set it up. Nominal fee? First born? Included? I know a couple of people that bought and took the european delivery on a MB. Said they had a blast. Doing the car thing would only enhance that trip I would imagine.
    Plant delivery is the same price as dealer delivery. The cost used to transport your car to the dealer is used for the Performance Center Delivery (PCD). You pay your own way to the Greenville/Spartanburg airport and they take it from there. BMW PCD includes hotel and meals. You get a full tank and directions home at the end. The dealers like it because it's on less delivery for them.

So, say your dealer has a production "slot" for the week of, oh say, October 20. He changes the production order to match your specs and makes arrangements for PCD. PCD picks up the ball and works out the details with you. You can actually track your car's status on the web based on the production order number they give to your car. They're usually built about a week before your delivery.

Jack
    I ordered an X5 for my wife a few weeks ago and wanted to track the production. Could someone please give me the web site where I could do this. I couldn't find any link on BMWUSA.

Also, my wife saw a special report extolling the virtues of Park Distance Control and now decided she must have. The dealer told me that it's too late on my order but if I really need it they will try to locate one for me. Does anyone have this feature and is it really worthwhile?

Thank you in advance for any information.

By the way I drive a 330 i with SP and love the car so much that I insisted she get the BMW. I was amazed at how great it drove when I gave it an extended test drive.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I drove a number of cars before I got my BMW. Stopping in the dealer was an afterthought as I always thought the deals were not to be had. But I got a good deal and one test drive was all it took to convince me. I did have buyers remorse however, as I drooled on the Imola red M3 sitting in the showroom. :)
    To see the production order:
    1. Go to www.BMWUSA.com
    2. Click Owners ' Cicle
    3. Establish a user name and password.
    4. In due time, it will ask for a production number or a VIN.

My wife added PDS to her X5 as we were going over each and every option the night before we ordered. No one encouraged us to order it, but it souded useful. Is it worth it? Yes. It is hard to see what's going on behind the X5, so it gives a great deal of confidence. We have a 2 year old and a 6 year old, so we never know what's in the driveway. I would consider it a "must have" for anyone with children. Oh, the PDC can be added after the fact. Costs more, but it can be done.

Jack
    I think the deals are very much there now for the X5. When I first shopped this vehicle when it was first introduced the leases were around 800 per month. Now I was able to get a standard lease with 45k and nothing down (just bank fee) and tax in payment for around 600. Money is cheaper and the discounts are bigger.
    Truck drives like a big sports car and to me in the 3.0 form it seems more than quick enough. And it is by far the most solid feeling of the SUV's I shopped, including the Cayenne. This one is for my wife, but if I ever decide to become a 2 SUV family again (my present car is 330i with sp) I would love to test the 4.4 or even 4.6. But the good news is that in one year when my lease is up on the 3er, I will hopefully be able to consider the new 6 or 5. America's a great country!
    I may very well do that. I'll at least give it a go if the timing is right and I throw down for the 04'and at this point unless the 03' is a excellent deal it will be a 04'. BTW, I am not leasing but it appears BMW is really pushing a lease on the X5's. Yesterday, while perusing the PCD site a pop-up from BMW financial hit the screen with the deal. Was not there earlier. Funny thing, I never could make the lease work for me as a personal vehicle but there are a ton of people who do it. Maybe that's why I don't. ;-) Thanks again!
    don't forget to apply a month or so before you actually get your car. You lock in a rate, so if the rate goes up, you keep the lower rate, if it goes down, you get the lower rate. The acceptance is good for 60 days, so, if timed correctly, you pick the best from 3 months.

Jack
  • aveghteaveghte Member Posts: 68
    My wife was about to purchase an X5 because of its superior rear visibility compared to the Lexus RX330 (big blind spot over the driver's right shoulder) but then we read the latest Consumer Reports article on the X5 where it says that two wheels lifted off the ground during emergency maneuvers for the 3.0 model. Which car is safer, the X5 3.0 or the RX330?
    Ages ago I witnessed a driving demo of the X5 and a few competitors doing an emergency maneuver. The X5 was the only one NOT equipped with "outriggers" and it performed flawlessly. I find it odd that after years on the market and countless comparison tests by every car rag in existence CR suddenly finds wheel lift. Perhaps the laws of physics are somewhat different on their testing grounds.

In any event the '04 X5 (available in Oct.) will feature a different AWD system (XDrive) so if you wait a couple months everything CR says will be obsolete...sorta like CR itself. If you can't wait and your wife regularly performs emergency maneuvers I'd stay away from the BMW.

Regarding the question of safety, I define "safe" as being able to "take a punch" -- crash tests. The RX330 has not been tested by the IIHS but the RX300 and X5 both received "best pick".
  • andrews11andrews11 Member Posts: 3
    I test drove an X5 3.0 for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I could not believe the ride. It drives like my car! Anyway I am shopping in the Illinois/Iowa market and I was presented the following deal; $1000.00 below MSRP on a loaded 2003 allowing for 15k mileage for three years with a money factor of 0.00141 (rate of 3.4%) with a residual of 57%. I know this is a special promotion available until the end of the month, but is it a good deal? This is a new market for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • todd1adatodd1ada Member Posts: 1
    Hello all:

I just purchase a very low-mileage certified 4.4 sport about a month ago. I understand that my 19 inch Y rims will not do well in the snow (and I do a fair amount of driving in snow conditions in New England. Can someone advise me what my best bet is for the winter. Should I buy an alternate set of rims/tires for winter use (18's or 17's-- which are the best bet). Also, can someone recommend a source to buy these other than the dealer. Dealer prices are very high for rims and I'm thinking that aftermarket may suffice given that I will only be using them in the winter and they will prbably get a lot of wear.

Couple other things-- I really love the way the car handles, the power and the layout/design of the cockpit...BUT the car has been back 3 times to the dealer during the 4 weeks I have owned it for all sorts of little things. I may be a little picky on some of these things, but for a highend car, it should be pretty close to flawless. (I gave up my LX for this car, which went over 100K miles without even so much as a squeek). The problems have included:

-Noise from the windows (regulators replace)
    - am radio squeel (amp replaced, but still not right)
    - peeling door handle (replaced)
    - seat belt stantion noise/squeek (replaced)
    - electrical compartment door falls open at fast turns) (fixed)
    - engine not turning over 1/10 starts (computer chip replaced)
    - false check engine light (computer chip replaced)
    - cup holder grips broke off (replaced)
    - keyless entry not working (chip replaced)
    - side mirrors have mind of their own

Dealer has fixed everything. Car had rarely been in the shop prior to my purchase, so it's not what I would call a lemon. And it rides great. Also, there problems seem similar to what many others are experiencing. How are people coping with this? I am too used to Lexus quality?

With the snow situation, these little problems and the lack of cargo room, I am considering going back to the LX 470 (I had originally planned on keeping my 4.4 for the long term) or perhaps a G 500.

Any advice?