Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Reverse Warning Systems & Cameras

ldislerldisler Member Posts: 83
I WAS LOOKING INTO GET A BACKUP OBJECT SENSING
SYSTEM AND PUTTING IT ON MY 1999 MERCURY VILLAGER.
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS INSTALLED one of
these systems which can sense objects behind a
vehicle.Any info would be appreciated, does it
work? and do you like it??
thanks

Comments

• cookie22cookie22 Member Posts: 73
    I'm wondering the same thing however the one I found is more than I want to pay . I would like to find a source for after market accessories for a 1999 Mercury Villager.
  • ldislerldisler Member Posts: 83
    The one I found is the autopark 2000. JC WHITNEY has them for $59, I also found them at WWW.KWMUTH.COM for $46 plus shipping.It looks like a basic sytem that mounts to the license plate frame and has a beeper you mount under the dash. Also if anyone has info on where to get accessories for the mercury villager let us know.
  • alfchowalfchow Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I installed one in my Sienna van. The unit is call Poron and I bought it from Autotoys.com. The installation was very easy. It is basically good for very slow back-up situation such as parallel parking and backing up against a large object such as a wall. However, it will not detect a little kid running across the back of your van or smaller objects such as a post. I got the 2 sensor unit and I contacted the manufacturer and they claim the 3 sensor unit works better but more expensive (of course). Overall this product is OK but don't expect it to detect anything smaller than a car.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    The Backup Alert, from Kmart. the cost was $27 on sale. You can hook up to two sensors on it and it's range is from 5' to 15". I have had it for a year now, and am very happy with it. I did purchase two for the extra sensor. The extra control unit I kept in case the one installed ever goes bad. Just the other day I found another in a yard sale for $5, I might mount it on the front.
  • bf1pfbf1pf Member Posts: 1
    Can backup alerts be used for close parallel parking (e.g., be set to alert you when you are within 6"-12"?) If anyone knows of such a sensor, you could please e-mail a response, I would appreciate it.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The answer to your question is yes! Absolutely! That's what they are there for. These backup alert systems are usually preset to warn you at certain distances (not user customisable) and 12" is not uncommon. Personally, I'd recommend the Poron USA backup warning systems that http://www.autotoys.com sells since I've heard good things about it. You can also buy the same systems directly from Poron USA at http://www.poronusa.com

Hope this helps!
    Drew
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    This is the one I bought for $69. It works like a charm! It's a bit less expensive than the Poron, and it doesn't talk!

http://www.12voltdirect.com/products/drivingaids.htm

I custom installed its LED readout:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=9790406&p=32521988

You can sort of see the sensor installation here:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=9976873&p=33243651

http://store.autotoys.com has the Poron and another, more expensive, brand.
    Thanks for the links and the pictures. Poron has a couple of (2 and 3 sensor) reverse warning systems that don't have the voice indicator.

I just installed the Bosch Parkpilot 4 sensor reverse warning system to my vehicle (well, it's not complete yet). It's almost identical to the MB Parktronic system; Bosch OEMs it to MB. Overall, I'm happy with the appearance, even though the installation was extremely time consuming and required dismantling a few parts. You can see the pictures here: http://go.to/m-class

Drew
    Quite the effort for backup sensors! Nice end result, though. My single black sensor beneath the plate is fine for me and allows me to parallel park perfectly (although I wouldn't mind sticking two sensors under the plate, even though my unit doesn't allow for that). The green light will flash for anything close to my back end at any angle, and I stop backing up at red when parking.

So, when you have your fog lights on, a big square green lights blares at you? Isn't that annoying?
    Thanks for the compliment! I'm overall quite pleased with the results. I see that you have done quite a bit of customising to yours (in fact the entire car). I especially like the interior alarm warning lights.

WRT the green indicator, no it's not that bad. In fact, I hardly even notice it when it's on. I zoomed in on the indicator since other M-class owners wanted to see the warning lamp (US MLs don't come with foglamps activated since the height of the lights makes them illegal in most states even though they're not glaring) and as you probably noticed, I'm in Canada. The camcorder's exposure setting got a little confused and I didn't bother to adjust it at the time.

Merry Christmas!
    Drew
  • tronsrtronsr Member Posts: 46
    Does anyone have any experience with the above that is sold by JCWhitney for $14.99??? It is a light bulb with a built in alarm that replaces your back-up light. If it works like the ad states, it sounds pretty reasonable??? The ad states that it is a 100db alarm and a 20 watt halogen light that automatically warns others when you start to back up. As easy as changing the light bulb...no wiring...{that's what it says???
    I'm sure it will install and work exactly as advertised. Unless it's malfunctioning, like one of the halogen 3157 bulbs I bought from them.
    Why would you have an LED go on for a back up system? Are you not looking through the back window or checking the rear view mirrors? Mine is set to go by sound, since the last thing I want to be watching is an LED.
    ...just as long as it also has an audible signal, since you really should be looking at the car you're trying not to back into. Mine is set up so you can see both out of the 300M's rear porthole:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=9790406&p=32521988

Certainly it doesn't make sense to have a backup LED on your instrument panel.
  • saggarsaggar Member Posts: 1
    I bought a boron MINI3 NV (3 sensors) backup alert system from AutoToys.com for my 01 Odd EX/NEVI. It's supposed to be a DAY part, but I'm not sure if I can do it nicely. I want to have it professionally installed and am looking for some references for the CA Bay Area.

Thanks!
  • accord100accord100 Member Posts: 2
    There is also a talking backup system at autotoys.com. If you have a tough time finding it, it is in the ALARM department under BACKUP sensors (http://store.autotoys.com)
  • campo57campo57 Member Posts: 94
    I was wondering where you got your Bosch Parkpilot 4 system? I did a web search but couldn't find anything in English.

Could you please post a site or give me some info.

Thanks,

Campo57
    A friend bought it on behalf of me in Germany. It's not for sale in North America. You should also know that it requires vehicle specific kits for installation. If your vehicle is not on the list (basically most domestic vehicles aren't), you won't be able to purchase said kit. You find out more info here: http://www.bosch.de/aad/en/produkte/parkpilot/index.htm

And see more pictures of my installation (which was a huge PITA) - http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=137587&a=10686364

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • ckonckon Member Posts: 22
    Here's one I haven't seen mentioned before. It uses microwave technology so it can "see" moving objects, etc. and is invisible when installed.

I installed one on my Odyssey today and so far everything's living up to the manufacturer's claims.

See it at http://www.rostra.com/ac-main.asp and if you'd like to see pictures of my installation, they're at http://www.fototime.com/inv/E5EF2F60BF78337

• cap420cap420 Member Posts: 6
    Where did you get it?
    It's in ckon's message, in the last sentence. :-) Rosta.com

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    Rosta.com won't sell direct, and all the resellers in CA are idiots when I called them. I figured that since ckon had the sensor in hand, he sucesfully found a reseller that was able to work with people.

ckon,
    If you ever read this, let me know where and how much.

Peace,
    cap420
  • sharonlpksharonlpk Member Posts: 37
    OK, well, this may sound funny, but...

Our new 2001 Windstar has the reverse sensing on it... that is helpful as I'm not the best judge of space :-) However, has anyone mounted anything on the front? With our old WS we (yes, husband did this too!) managed to hit the nose of the van (with license plate,thank goodness) a few times...

It would be great to have something on that license plate bracket that would beep when within a matter of inches... Of course I don't want something to go off every time I pull up behind a car while driving, it's more for parking...

Thanks for suggestions!
  • ztzzztzz Member Posts: 16
    cap420,

I'm from another Odyssey forum and a number of us got our Rostra reverse sensor from this website after ckon installed one in his.

http://www.astecx.com/ross.html

For the Odyssey, it was about $175.
    Hope this helps you.
    Thanks. From what I've read, the Rostra ROSS system will fit most cars since the bracketing that it comes with is meant to be cut and bent to fit your car or application. I'll be using the RX300 manual to install this on my Toyata Highlander (almost identical builds). I let you know how it turns out and post pictures like ckon.

Thanks again.
    on a MB ML320:

http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY/ML_BACKUP_SENSOR/ml_backup_sensor.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

Kmart sells a system called backup alert. it goes for $35 ($27 on sale) and can be used in the front too. If you do not want to hear it flip a switch and just look for the red LED to go on. very simple to hook up, I have had one on my 300M for the past two years.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Eyes in the Back of Your Head

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Hi! Thanks for the info re the Kmart system :-) Can it be set for a specific distance before the warning comes on? Or, is there some difference in the sound/light based on different distances?

I appreciate your reply! Just ordered new plates for the new van and don't want those a bit crinkled like the ones on our old van, LOL :-)

Sharon
    The systme uses LED's and sound. It starts at 5 feet with an beep (which has off and two sound levels) about once a second, along with a green LED that lights up. At 3.5 feet it beeps twice a second and a yellow LED lights up. At 1.5 to 2 feet it sounds a continous beep, along with a red LED that lights up. The hook up is simple and has two wires that splice into your backup lights, form which it is powered. The other connection is to the sensor that is installed in the rear. I have had it for two years on my 300M with no problems. If you want a little more information, I have pictures of it on my web page at http://homestead.com/chrysler300m/chrysler300m.html It does give a beep whenever you put the car into reverse, to let you know it is working.
    Nice webpages...nice car! :-) So you think this could be done on the front then? That's what I'm interested in at this point....our new van already has the rear sensor (which *should* help me with judging the rear distance, ha!)

Sharon
    OK, I was just confused a bit about how they would become 'active' -- for example, with the reverse sensors they become active when the vehicle is put into reverse... I'm assuming that these would just become active somehow when the vehicle is put into drive? :-)

Sharon
    You could have them on when the key is in the on position, mount a switch, or if your car has a wire live only when in drive, then use that.
    on reverse warning systems: http://cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/cars/revsonar/index.html

Check out the video clip of the TV segment.

Drew
    Host
    Thanks for the info! Wish I would have thought all along to put them on my son's car...who just backed into another car in his school's parking lot, aargh!!

Sharon
  • ca12394ca12394 Member Posts: 4
    I have checked most of the products through the links in this forum, and have some observations/questions.

1) The Bosch Park-Pilot seems to be the only one that has a 120-degree coverage, which, to me, is the only one that makes sense. Detecting obstacles directly behind you is a must, but so is detecting the sides. Just think about a paper-delivery kid who is just about walking across your driveway from your neighbor's house. Unfortunately, this kit is not available in North America (not to mention the don't have it for a '01 Odyssey...)

2) Other than the above, I wonder if there is one best system out there, when considering criteria like coverage area, reliablity, accuracy, cost, ease of installation and maintenance etc.?

3) One of the systems uses microwave technology. (Very) stupid question: is the kind of microwave used here the same as the kind used in a microwave oven? Will it cause any burns on kids?

4) I understand that most products have a sound rating between 70dB and 90dB. Is this range unduly loud?

I appreciate any comments/thoughts/experience etc.
  • jeffgl2jeffgl2 Member Posts: 3
    I recently installed the 'Ultron3' on our 3 month old Sienna. I started to research into these devices after we recently backed up over my neighbor's bicycle. I decided on the Poron unit based on threads from this and other web sites. I found the packaging and instructions were well put together.

If you're planning to install one on a Sienna, the only tricky part is where to splice in to the wire leading to the backup lamps. For me, I found the best location was under the edge of the rear headliner. There are four locking push tabs directly below the headliner in the rear cargo area. By sliding my fingers in between the edge of the liner I carefully pushed down two of the four tabs on the driver's side. Take your time with this, they break very easily.

This give me about 3 inches to reach in and and retrieve the wire. It is the red wire with the black stripe. I attached a 3M type connector. I then removed the side service panel in the cargo area on the passenger side. This proved to be an ideal spot. It has ample room, and a large hole on the bottom which services a drain tube outside the vehicle. I ran the power lead up behind the weather stripping, the side panels, and up behind the headliner. I grounded to the metal support post in the access compartment.

For the three sensors, I mounted them directly under the rear bumper per the mfg recommendations. There are three tabs that support the plastic bumper cover to the inside frame. These tabs make an excellent mounting base for each of the three sensors. I attached each sensor using the supplied adjustable mount with double edged tape (also supplied) and one small screw into the plastic support tab. I routed the wires to the drain hole on the passenger side.

I temporarily removed the drain tube, and pushed the thin wires through the hole. I then pushed the drain tube back in with a slight squeeze.

The rest just involved plugging the sensor leads to the control unit. I attached some velcro to the back of the unit and pressed it up against a support bracket. I used a small wire tie to hold the speaker to the inside of the grill cover for the access panel. Total install time was about an hour and a half. My only install concession was the outboard sensors could be a little further apart from the center one. I was reluctant to install them to anything other than the mounting tabs, which are spaced a little close together than I would have liked. They are slightly beyond the '12 inches from edge of vehicle' as recommended by the mag.

Does it work? Absolutely. I already avoided a shopping cart at our local super market. Its accuracy in determining distances from objects is impressive. In testing other objects it was also able to detect a small plastic tricycle, garbage cans, etc. So far, so good, although I wonder how well the sensors will hold up in future car washes, bad weather, ice, and snow. Will let you know. Check out www.autotoys.com for more information and current prices. Took about a week to receive after ordering.
    http://www.12voltdirect.com/products/videomirror.htm

"Donnelly's VideoMirror™ uses a 2.5" flip down display connected to cameras that provide today’s drivers with an extra measure of peace of mind."

• barnonebarnone Member Posts: 118
    what site can i browse to buy the poron system online?
    I think autotoys.com sells the Poron.
    thanks for the info!
    http://www.poronusa.com also sells the system direct to customers.

Drew
    Host
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Do any of these systems have a "hidden" sensor. My dad has the poron mini3 system, but the sensors hang off the rear bumper. I prefer to have something hidden.
    TIA
    Mark
    sonar vision --> easy to install. i hope my parallel parking would ease up. it's just hard to position the sensor because of the spare tire's location
  • pduboispdubois Member Posts: 73
    You could have a look at the Rostra Obstacle Sensing System. The sensors are hidden inside the bumper plastic fascia (uses doppler radar technology).
    For what it's worth, unfortunately I haven't heard good things about the Rostra system. A couple of people who have installed it complained that it was in-accurate and gave false alarms. One was so frustrated that he returned it and installed the PoronUSA system instead.

Drew
    Host