Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    edited October 2014
    robr2 said:

Did they convert the Subaru Bucks to Freedom Points?

No, the Subaru Bucks accumulated through 9/29 will be paid out in certificates for use under the program's prior terms. So, if you have, say, 39.25 in accumulated Bucks points, that will be your final certificate (rather than the standard $100).

Overall, the Bucks program was excellent, I think, which is the reason why it is no more. After extensively reviewing other rewards cards that are out there, nothing even comes close. I'm rather miffed.

Horrifically, I did accumulate about $350 in bucks in September... purely by an unlucky combination of events.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    I'll probably end up carrying two credit cards to replace the Subaru card in order to maximize rewards.
    Likewise. I had two Subaru cards, and now have two Freedom cards, but I need to get all the options sorted out to see what my final two will end up being.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Freedom cards are a pain because Chase will really stick you on the foreign exchange fees when you cut through Canada. I parked mine and switched to my Capital One card. I rarely qualified for the 5% quarterly promotions either.

What's with the '74 Pinto Wagon @xwesx? Don't remember seeing that in your sig file before.
    stever said:

What's with the '74 Pinto Wagon @xwesx? Don't remember seeing that in your sig file before.

Well, I didn't have a sig before a couple days ago. The '74 Pinto lives in Oregon, in a quonset hut, where I parked it in January of 1999 after the engine threw a rod while my brother was driving it to college.

Some how, some day, I will breath life into it. And, if not, well, no big loss, right? LOL

I think I even posted a photo of it on these forums somewhere. Ah, yes... here it is again!

See that? I even have a motor for it. B)

Now I remember.

And now I remember why I blocked it out of my memory. B)
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Do I recall correctly that the wagon body style, unlike other versions of the Pinto was not subject to catching on fire when rear ended?
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    God Almighty when you drove a Pinto you were really scraping the bottom of the bucket :'(

Cheers Pat.
    My Impreza turned one a few days ago. More miles than expected at 26,740, but a lot of those miles was due to moving ~250 miles away.

Happy with the MPG at 30+ (it will probably go down as I expect to drive fewer freeway miles).
    saedave said:

Do I recall correctly that the wagon body style, unlike other versions of the Pinto was not subject to catching on fire when rear ended?

That's my understanding. I really like that little car. It is pretty gutless with the little two-liter 4-cyl it has in it (at least, I think it was a 2.0, but heck, that was like 16 years ago), but it will not be so sleepy the next time it hits the street. :D

It has pretty good space in it, and the styling is quite pleasant, especially for mid-70s fare.
    edited October 2014
    jfl said:

Happy with the MPG at 30+ (it will probably go down as I expect to drive fewer freeway miles).

How could you not be?! Heck, just one generation prior, average fuel economy in that same car was easily 20% lower. Impressive miles for one year!

• rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820

God Almighty when you drove a Pinto you were really scraping the bottom of the bucket :'( Cheers Pat.

HEY! My first car was a 1975 Pinto. Dark metallic brown with orange and white sport stripes, factory sport rims with white lettered tires, tan interior with cloth inserts. It was the sedan with the trunk, not the huge glass hatchback. Bought it at a Ford dealer, only 2 years old, with 35k miles and I paid $1600. Got me through college, working two jobs, with countless trips to the beach and skiing. Had it 5 years and put in over 80k trouble-free miles on it before I traded it for a Mustang.
    edited October 2014
    Is that the Mustang you still have? If so, very cool! B)
    Yup ... had it for almost 32 years now. Still runs great and drive it as much as I can until it gets too cold. Then INSIDE storage for the winter.
    edited October 2014
    That is such a rarity these days... having a car that long, and from NEW. I still have my van, which was my first "car" that my dad gave me in 1991, but it was already twenty years old then. Does it count that he had it since new? :D
    edited October 2014
    Yes. Still in the family certainly counts. Someday Mikey might get the Mustang.

Yay! Finally got a picture to post ... don't know how! Here's the new ride.
    And if this works ... the Mustang.
    Both cars look super Rob, the mustang now looks none worse for it's traumatic experience.

Cheers Pat.
    Agreed, Pat!

And, the Mustang made me LOL.... so quintessentially 80s! My mother had one very similar (NOT GT) except fully silver exterior.
    edited October 2014
    More Pictures of the Mustang. The 'incident' that got me a new paint job. That was the original paint and all the original metal. No dents ... no scratches ... no rust ... and only one door ding!

And another ...
    edited October 2014
    At the body shop. Totally stripped down at this point. The roof panel was so buckled, it needed to be replaced. Decided to get rid of the aftermarket sunroof and go with a real factory sunroof.

Argh! Cringe-inducing stuff! I'm going home and cutting down all my trees now.... (okay, so I probably won't, but the impulse is there).
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    edited October 2014
    Less miles on the car this year not shadowing the band, Wes, but with all the college stuff we are still racking up the miles.

Speaking of the band, Emily was home for Columbus Day weekend, which is their downstate Invitational event. We went, and had a nice crowd of her friends (also home from college) surrounding us. Lots of fun. Going into the final two weeks prior to the NY State Field Band finale at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse (60 band competition), Arlington is currently ranked #1 with a score of 89.95. We’ll see if they can hold on this year. And being one of the top bands in the Tri-State area, they were invited to the NYC Columbus Day Parade!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Another senseless tree attack. What are they trying to prove?
    rob_m said:

More Pictures of the Mustang. The 'incident' that got me a new paint job. That was the original paint and all the original metal. No dents ... no scratches ... no rust ... and only one door ding!

fibber2 said:

Less miles on the car this year not shadowing the band, Wes, but with all the college stuff we are still racking up the miles.

Wow! I did not realize that marching bands were such a big deal on that side of the continent! It didn't even cross my mind that they might have such a thing at the collegiate level. Well, if they ever need volunteers, they know who to ask!

(Psst... see that guy over there? Yeah, the one with the Subaru.... He'll help you out!) B)
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Guess I wasn't too clear.... This is her old High School band that we went to see compete last Sunday at the NYS level (National Class ranking), and then on Monday they were in the parade in Manhattan.
    edited October 2014
    fibber2 said:

Guess I wasn't too clear.... This is her old High School band that we went to see compete last Sunday at the NYS level (National Class ranking), and then on Monday they were in the parade in Manhattan.

Oh... I completely misread that. Emily was *also* watching, and you were all watching the high school band (her alma mater). Got it. LOL /insert facepalm here/
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Michael continued the Small family tradition; he picked up a 2010 Impreza Outback Sport with 46K miles on it...blue with silver trim, the whole bal of wax, etc. That was Subie #4 in our family.
    Meanwhile, I'm getting ready to sell my 02 WRX wagon. She now has 123K miles on it, and it needs some work before I put it on the market. It's time to get something with better mpg; most likely, it will be a regular Impreza, or Outback Sport.

My Porsches are being prepared for winter hibernation, but I'm trying to get in as many drives as possible before then.
    Here's a photo of Daisy shot last weekend; she's running well.

What a beautiful car Serge!!!
    Wow, yeah! So... "Porches," as in plural? I thought you purchased a red one not too many years ago, but you're expanding your collection already?!
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Traded my 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring w/ CVT for an A4 Avant TDI S-Line w/ 6 speed manual and right hand drive ... in England for the week.

Making out pretty well driving on the left and shifting with my left hand. Got to be careful with minimal ground clearance and 40 series tires.
    Getting to be that time of year again guys, just had the seats out and floor covered in plastic as always, snow tires on and underside Krown rustproofed.
    I hate winter, makes it impossible to keep my baby pristine.

Cheers Pat.
    Well, you darn well hedged your bets anyway, Pat! That's some serious OCD! My hat is off to you, sir!

I did my spring cleaning six months ago. That was enough for me. :D
    xwesx said:

Well, you darn well hedged your bets anyway, Pat! That's some serious OCD! My hat is off to you, sir!

I did my spring cleaning six months ago. That was enough for me. :D

I do this every year and have done for years. Keeps the carpets free of salt and not soggy from melted snow.
    Cheers Pat.

"Analysts say the only U.S. brand to come close to Subaru's connection to customers is Jeep. However, Edmunds' Caldwell said Jeep and Subaru resonate with buyers in different ways, describing Subaru offering "a mainstream lifestyle, rather than an extreme lifestyle."

Edmunds reports that Subaru through October has the sixth-highest loyalty rate of all U.S. brands at 53.6 percent."

Subaru bursts into American mainstream (Detroit News)
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    stever said:

"Analysts say the only U.S. brand to come close to Subaru's connection to customers is Jeep. However, Edmunds' Caldwell said Jeep and Subaru resonate with buyers in different ways, describing Subaru offering "a mainstream lifestyle, rather than an extreme lifestyle."

Edmunds reports that Subaru through October has the sixth-highest loyalty rate of all U.S. brands at 53.6 percent."

Subaru bursts into American mainstream (Detroit News)

Funny you should post this Steve, as I'm seriously considering replacing my '09 WRX with a new Cherokee Trailhawk. Will keep you posted.
    Hm, I had a Jeep long before I had a Subaru. I'm probably done with both but who knows?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I have more confidence in Subaru. Some (not all certainly) Jeep models have turned out to be turkeys of immense proportions.
    edited November 2014
    My wife has a casual desire to own a Wrangler. But, when we bought the Forester, I noted the Wrangler Unlimited to her (only practical option given kids and primary car) and she didn't seem interested at all. So, Forester it was!

Most of the Jeep vehicles of today are just too hideous for me to even consider. Wrangler, sure. Grand Cherokee, perhaps, but no to the others.
    Death wobble vs head gaskets. Pick your poison, lol.

I'm really rooting for my sister to get a CrossTrek next year. It'd run so much better than the MINI that she really wants.
    edited November 2014
    Can't get excited by any new Subarus. Even the STI leaves me wanting...

Also my situation has changed now that I'm living by the beach. The Outback and Forester can drive on the beach, but the Trailhawk offers much more "off road insurance." Plus I love the looks and features.

Yeah, the "turkey" history has me concerned. That's why I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    rsholland said:

Also my situation has changed now that I'm living by the beach. The Outback and Forester can drive on the beach, but the Trailhawk offers much more "off road insurance." Plus I love the looks and features.

Yeah, the "turkey" history has me concerned. That's why I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

You are right to concerned with the turkey history Bob, it is still alive and well, my neighbor bought a new Cherokee abut nine months ago, it spends more time in the dealers service dept than at her home. She is heartily sick of it and is contemplating huge depreciation just to dump it.

Cheers Pat.

rsholland said:

You are right to concerned with the turkey history Bob, it is still alive and well, my neighbor bought a new Cherokee abut nine months ago, it spends more time in the dealers service dept than at her home. She is heartily sick of it and is contemplating huge depreciation just to dump it.

Cheers Pat.

I know early models had transmission software issues. I believe that has been resolved.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    xwesx said:

No, the Subaru Bucks accumulated through 9/29 will be paid out in certificates for use under the program's prior terms. So, if you have, say, 39.25 in accumulated Bucks points, that will be your final certificate (rather than the standard $100).

Has anyone received their Chase Freedom card and/or final Subaru Bucks certificate?

They converted my account on 10/1, but I haven't heard/received anything since then. My Oct 6 statement was produced, but they haven't produced my Nov 6 statement (only activity was full payment of Oct statement balance).
    edited November 2014
    I finally received one set of cards that replaced one of my Subaru cards. But, nothing on the other (which I would have expected first), and nothing on the certificates. Just to clarify: I did not receive the close out certificates for Subaru Bucks with the Freedom cards. Cards came in on Tuesday.
    I've not received anything either.

I also have not received my partial Subaru bucks for purchases made totaling less than $100 in Subaru bucks. Hopefully, they'll issue Subaru debit cards and not have to go thru the complex process to handle purchases <$100.
    The "bucks" certificates can be redeemed in any amount now. The retailer accesses a Subaru ePortal to verify the balance on the certificate and redeem it, so it shouldn't be an issue regardless of the certificate's face value.

If I recall correctly, the notification letter stated 6-8 weeks for the final certificates (assuming 9/29 was the start date on that timer). So, I'm not really concerned about not having received the Bucks yet, but I am concerned about not having received the cards. Currently, my Subaru MasterCards are still working, but I have to assume they'll shut them off at some point.

It seems like a tough gig to find a rewards MasterCard these days. I'm still looking for something to replace on of the Subie cards, but if anyone has recommendations, I'm all ears. I'll likely keep one of the Freedom cards (the one that *hasn't* arrived, of course), but I have no reason to keep two, and I also prefer not to have only Visa since there are places that will not take it.

Quick update: Chase sent me an email tonight that stated my Subaru MasterCard will no longer work after 11/30/2014 and that I need to activate the Visa card they sent me to continue use as well as update information at vendors, etc. But, I only received this notification for the cards I did receive, so apparently I should not be concerned that the other replacement set has not shown up yet.... ?

/sigh So annoying.