Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Subaru Outback

12346»

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    dcm61 said:

Sounds like a loose exhaust heat shield.

It does, but yet, if that were the case, it boggles the mind why that would not be diagnosed and fixed MUCH sooner in the process. Bmjaffin - is this something that is rhythmic with the engine or does it tend to vary somewhat? I'm wondering if it is an internal issue or if it could actually be something as simple as a heat shield....

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    bmjaffinbmjaffin Member Posts: 2
    xwesx - it is slightly noticeable when in park and it is rhythmic. But when I'm driving it gets worse especially in stop and go traffic moving at lower speeds/rpms and it's really loud when accelerating. The rattle is also seems to be worse when the engine is warm and going up hills.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Well, those symptoms do sound like a heat shield, just as dcm61 noted. They make a somewhat hollow metallic rattle that isn't necessarily consistent/persistent, but it always worse when the engine is under load (e.g., more vibration). Also, given that you think you may have heard something even when new, but it became worse over time, that's also consistent with a part that is continuing to loosen.

These are simple, thin, aluminum parts that are attached either to the undercarriage or to the exhaust system and help deflect/dissipate heat from the exhaust away from the undercarriage of the car. They typically slip over studs and are held on by small 8mm nuts. So, these things can come loose either at the nut or at the stud, though a loose nut tends to illicit the most persistent rattle (I should know, being a loose nut myself - LOL).

If it is loose for this long, it can sometimes wear a small groove into the heat shield, which will make securing it more difficult. I've heard of some folks (especially on gen-1 Outbacks) tack welding them in order to silence the little heathens. Hopefully, yours is an easier fix than that. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    xwesx said:

I've heard of some folks (especially on gen-1 Outbacks) tack welding them in order to silence the little heathens. Hopefully, yours is an easier fix than that. :)

Large hose clamps and/or twisted wire also work ... it's not pretty (sorry, Pat :smile: ), but can extinguish the demons.