Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Adding (and tracking) DEF - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Ram

imageAdding (and tracking) DEF - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Owning a diesel-powered pickup like the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel requires a bit more than fuel. Here's a look at how much diesel exhaust fluid we've had to add to the truck so far.

Read the full story here

Comments

• yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    The DEF cost is about the same as the difference between regular and premium gas... almost insignificant.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    "Also, the windshield washer fluid was low, so I added a gallon of fluid to that reservoir. It cost two dollars."

lol
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Would just like to point out that while it's doing really well on fuel economy, this vehicle is benefiting from the well-known Edmunds "large vehicle effect," that sees vehicles with greater cargo and passenger capacities being used more on long trips and smaller vehicles used around town and as airport shuttles.

Now, while that may be justified in extreme instances (the Ram Ecodiesel is a great highway tow vehicle, and the MINI is really not gonna be used on a lot of highway trips, for another example), in real life, an actual owner has probably two vehicles to choose from, not a whole fleet, and his three-row SUV DOES have to do commuter and city duty sometimes, and his Mazda3 DOES have to go on long highway trips, because that's what he has to choose from.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @fordson1: That's very true, but how would you account for the difference? It might be nearly impossible to enforce a system that regulates this. I would suggest that as long as Edmunds keeps detailing noteworthy context in their fuel updates (any long trips, an interminable city slog, etc.), then we'll be fine.
    I guess if I were the editor, I would just say to be mindful of it and try to use the vehicle you have rather than hit up the sign-out list for exactly what you want. I think this would also address the other common peeve of ours...somebody wants to transport a knocked-down bookshelf unit from the Ikea store, and the next thing we know, we're looking at this pitiful 14"X6"X72" box almost lost in the cargo area of a Toyota Highlander will both rows of seats folded down, which tells us nothing we didn't already know.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Thanks, I can quit obsessing about the DEF fluid now. Very strange usage. You had that quirk 4.5 gallons used in 338 miles (a gallon every 75 miles) early on but the last fill up only needed a gallon every 903 miles. If the rate continues then DEF really becomes not nearly as big of a deal as it was: $4.50 every month or so with normal driving usage. Not completely inconsequential, but kinda like having a car burn through a quart of oil a month. Annoying, but not a deal breaker as long as you keep on top of it.
  • tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    The heavy DEF usage early on most likely meant that the DEF tank wasn't completely full when they took delivery (which it should have been). The DEF tank on this truck holds 8 gallons of fluid, which under normal circumstances, should last between oil changes. Since Edmunds is burning through a gallon every 903 miles that works out to a full tank of fluid lasting 7224 miles with their drive style. Even with their driving style, the tank would almost last for the 10k mile service interval.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @fordson1, I have no idea what you're talking about...

• allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I think that when all the costs are factored in the fuel economy gains from a diesel engine will be negated by the costs of maintenance. DEF additions and regular fuel filter changes (every 30,000 miles) along with the higher costs of diesel fuel will make it difficult to recoup the costs of this engine over the regular old HEMI V8. This is one of the reasons Ford gave for going the small turbo charged gas engine for fuel economy throughout the line up.

@fordson1, I have no idea what you're talking about...

There ya go.
  • jmsm2000jmsm2000 Member Posts: 2
    I get my DEF at the pump at truckstops and pay about $2.80/gallon. It's much easier and cheaper than filling it from bottles bought at the auto parts store or the dealer.