Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Michael - may as well give it a shot. Are you dealing with McDonald or Arapahoe? When I bought that Veloster from Arapahoe, they made some incredible deal that I thought was pretty unbelievable.

Obviously a Hyundai dealer will be in the best position to offer the most for your current ride, and if they're desperate enough to move a unit...

And that engine upgrade for 2014 is supposed to make a nice difference on the Elantra.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    My wife found this whilst perusing the net.

3-er wagon sport manual

She likes her GTI and doesn't miss her wagon. Really. No, really. She's good.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Stick - I think you're probably making a good choice going with a mid-size car versus a compact. I've certainly grown to appreciate the size and comfort of my previous Passat and current 5-series over the 3-ers and GTI that came before.

You made a great point about the longer range - with these mid-size cars getting similar mileage to the compacts, but often with a significantly larger gas tank, it makes a big difference.

Isn't that Mazda 6 GT nice? They still catch my eye. I'm a fan of the almond interior. The Touring model is still well-equipped, with blind-spot monitoring, and may be more in line with the other models you're looking at. Could be a possibility?

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    i like the 6. A bit pricey IMO for some of the models.

I actually went into a dealer tonight, and sat down to negotiate a deal. 20 minutes later, wife and I were running for the door to come home for a shower.

needless to say, I will not be buying a Honda at that particular dealer. Only went there because they had a bunch of sports left, including the color I want. I won't go back in if that is the last one in the country.

will post details later after make a poop run with the dog.

I did accomplish one thing though. I decided that if I am getting an Accord, overall the EX is a better package for me. I'll live without the big wheels!

would have stopped at my normal dealer on way home but that would have been 8:30+, so will try that tomorrow.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Michaell....we're salivating here.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Michaell said:

However .. Mr. Interenet Sales Mgr suggests that I could get into a new 2014 E-GT for not much more than I paying now, given the discounts and incentives that exist ($750 loyalty, $500 holiday cash and $1500 rebate).

As I've mentioned in the past, I've got a "base" car - no nav, no sunroof, no rear camera, no leather. Would be nice to upgrade to those features at just a little bit more cost to me.

I am confused because I thought you said you weren't happy with the E-GT because of poor visibility. Am I mistaking you for someone else?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Breld, I'm not fond of the bright red, nonmetallic color on the 328xi. It's fairly loaded otherwise, but lacks Comfort Access. Price seems high, but so does everything on the used market nowadays.

I was behind a C240 4matic wagon today on Westport Road. Don't see those often! Thought it would be a real dog with a four cylinder Kompressor, but it looks like those were equipped with a 2.6 liter V6.
  • Options
    anyway, have pretty much narrowed this down, and with any luck will have the punch done tomorrow. Though I really expected that I would have done it today. Oh well.

So, I even got the wife to go today, assuming I needed her to drive the other car home. Get scapped up by one of the dudes outside the Honda dealer., and eventually get a Sport pulled up for a ride.

This place was about 1/2 hour from home (town that we lived in many years ago, so like the "old neighborhood". We only went up there because they had a bunch of sports, and my closer place that I like had none.

so. we drive it. talk a bit outside, decide what the heck, it could work if cheap enough, yada yada yada. So, I tell the guy "let's go in, and see what they can do on a lease". I had my spreadsheet printed out in my pocket if needed (with current program #s from Michael and everything). I figured that based on quotes from a couple other dealers what the normal discount was (looking at 2014s). based on this, figured that it should be a pretty simple $225/mo or so, with the grind down target $200. Seemed fair.

I tell the guy what I am looking for (nothing down, DMv/1st/tax OOP) 36/36. Simple. He even said so. Comes back eventually. Just a piece of paper with a DP and monthly on it. Not the normal detailed print out every other Honda dealer I dealt with came out with.

$1,995 at inception. $499 mo. lease payment. I was astounded at the brass ones they had.

I said something like "not even close". He seemed shocked. asked what I was thinking, and I said way less than that. He seemed to grudgingly think maybe they got get $30-40 off.

To Be Continued.....

• Options
    so I ask the salesguy how they got this #. he acts dumb (manager just gives it to me). I ask for the factors used (mostly curious at this point). he wanders away, eventually manager comes back. No numbers, no explanation. Just a lot of BS and some mumbo jumbo. Keeps asking me what I expected it to be, so I said more like $200 than $500. He seems personally aggrieved. $1500 lease cash. he seems stuck on his price of MSRP + a $800 protection pack (wheel locks, trunk mat). And a $700 ADM.

at that point, wife and I are both disgusted. I honestly didn't care what he came up with, I wouldn't buy from them. so I said we are too far apart, we are leaving so we got up and left.

Already emailed the local guy about his EXs (now that I decided to go that way instead) and will call the other local guy tomorrow (he has different colors). I have bought from both of them before, and they are actually nice places you don't mind shopping at. And don't need a shower when you get out!

assuming one of them has a decent color and tweaks the payment just a tad, should be able to buy tomorrow and be done with it all.

unless of course something else strikes my fancy first!

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,435
    Good luck stick! Keep us updated!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    Now the Challenger is at $28,500. I saw a 2015 Challenger R/T "Scat Pack" at the Dodge store next to my Mazda dealer today. The Scat Pack gets you the SRT engine, suspension, and binders without all the luxury features. I LOVED it, but at $39k it is much more than I'm willing to spend...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

Good luck stick! Keep us updated!

Oh, I will. I know how everyone likes a good saga.

The other wildcard is a leftover Camry (I know, but they have an SE Sport, so even has some measure of road feel!)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315
    ab348 said:

Michaell said:

However .. Mr. Interenet Sales Mgr suggests that I could get into a new 2014 E-GT for not much more than I paying now, given the discounts and incentives that exist ($750 loyalty, $500 holiday cash and $1500 rebate).

As I've mentioned in the past, I've got a "base" car - no nav, no sunroof, no rear camera, no leather. Would be nice to upgrade to those features at just a little bit more cost to me.

I am confused because I thought you said you weren't happy with the E-GT because of poor visibility. Am I mistaking you for someone else?
    You must be. I've not had any visibility issues with my Elantra.

So, a quick update. I've started an email thread with "Tom" the internet sales manager.

I looked at the on-line inventory ... 71 Elantra GT's, but none that I see that have both the 'style' and 'tech' packages. One or the other, but not both. So, I email Tom with a request for inventory. He responds with "we got lots with both style and tech, almost every color available - when can we meet?".

Uh, not so fast. I first respond to let him know that I'm still crunching numbers, that I might be up late tomorrow afternoon, but not certain.

Then, after thinking about it for a bit (and a couple of deliveries - time in the car is time to think), I send him another email asking him to provide a VIN on a car with style and tech in either red or blue (not that I'm looking for a specific color but the other options are white, black, silver or metallic grey). Like Reagan used to say - 'trust, but verify'. I know the on-line stuff may be out of date, so if he can give me a specific VIN, that's step in the right direction.

As I type this, that was 6 hours ago. No response from Tom. Now, he may have gone home for the day. Or, I've called his bluff on inventory and he doesn't know how to respond.

Guess we'll see if I get anything from him tomorrow - he's supposed to be at the dealership all day tomorrow, Friday and Saturday.

@roadburner‌ - what are you waiting for? Go get that Challenger!

@stickguy‌ - $499/mo on an Accord Sport lease? you did absolutely the right thing by walking out and not dignifying him with any additional conversation. Please write up a dealer review here at Edmunds.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    As previously noted, I had a delivery shift tonight. Lots of driving, not much money, but time to think.

So, I started thinking of our good friend breld and all the cars he's moved in and out of these past few years. He's in Colorado, too - a bit north of Denver where I'm south - but realized that we can use his user name as various parts of speech.

Verb - I think I'm going to breld my lease.

Adverb - I'm feeling very breldy about my current car. Maybe it's time for a new one!

Expletive - Breld it! I thought I was getting a new car today, but the dealer and I couldn't come to terms.

It's late, and I've been up since 5:15 this morning - darn dogs just don't seem to understand the concept of daylight savings. Feel free to add your own interpretation and definition.

Breld - for being a good sport about all this, I owe you a beer. Maybe I'll make the trip north one weekend to meet up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Michaell said:

It's late, and I've been up since 5:15 this morning - darn dogs just don't seem to understand the concept of daylight savings. Feel free to add your own interpretation and definition.

This is so true. I don't remember this from past years, but my 16 year old dog has been waking us up at 4:30 am. Once I walk a dog at 4:30 am, I'm not getting back to sleep!

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Your Honda experience sounds hideous. We were pretty lucky buying ours a year and a half ago. Quite straightforward really. Then it seemed like the lease deals were for the LX and leasing an EX-L was not feasible. But we intended to buy anyway. We used an established dealership that has a good reputation in our area and there were a few hiccups but everything was settled fairly quickly. Hope you have a better experience with the next one.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    Michaell said:

OK folks ... I might be renewing my CCBA membership.

I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of leasing my E-GT and the odometer just clicked over 19,000 miles. This is a 3 year, 15K mile per year lease, mind you. So, thinking about my end of lease options in a couple of years I thought about pulling a breld and converting my lease to a traditional loan.

My current payoff is about $17,000. I contact the internet sales manager at the dealership (who also manages the lease end disposition). If I finance for 6 years, the payment would be about $45/mo higher than my lease payment.

Lucky for me I've got access to all the Hyundai numbers, so I can model all the payment scenarios before stepping foot in the dealership.

Am I crazy?

Oh, wait ... I forgot what discussion I'm in.

Let the research begin.

Why are you still here and not at the dealership? :smile:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    suydam said:

Your Honda experience sounds hideous. We were pretty lucky buying ours a year and a half ago. Quite straightforward really. Then it seemed like the lease deals were for the LX and leasing an EX-L was not feasible. But we intended to buy anyway. We used an established dealership that has a good reputation in our area and there were a few hiccups but everything was settled fairly quickly. Hope you have a better experience with the next one.

When my wife and I were dating back in the early '80s she wanted a new Honda Accord. EVERY dealer in the Cincinnati area wanted to play games- talking only payments and not price, asking for a deposit before even taking an offer to the sales manager, etc. We never really considered a Honda again, and my wife soon became enamored with European cars. While not Honda's fault, those dealers probably lost them a life-long customer...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Oh I had some bad experiences in the 80 s and 90s too. But somehow the last 2 purchases of new vehicles -- an '01 Maxima and this Accord -- weren't too bad. Either some dealers have wised up or I am a little wiser too and just leave if they are jerking us around. When we were looking at the Honda we also shopped Toyota and I had a rather crazy experience there. If I had liked the Camry better I would have gone to another dealer but we had lost interest in it anyway. It is frustrating when they waste your time like that.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Is your car worth it's $17,000 pay off?

I doubt it -- I'll ask q over in RWTIV. But, sales mgr seemed to think that they could take care of that. I'm skeptical.

Found there is another $1000 lease cash available ... if I qualified for everything and paid just below invoice (a few hundred below TMW), my 36/15 lease payment would be a whopping $8 more than what I'm paying now.

For first payment OOP, that wouldn't be too bad. I'm guessing they want to make a sale.

I couldn't find an E-GT with tech (nav, camera) and style (leather, roof) packages in their on-line inventory, so I emailed the mgr asking if they had one.

Oh, the 2014 has a bigger engine with 25 more HP. But, a lower MPG rating - 24/33 against my car's 27/37

When I went to test drive a 2014 a couple of months ago, truecar was telling me I could get it for less than $16k. Base model, manual trans. Just checked again and, yes, $15,425 is the price on there. And, hell, in your case, you'd get the additional $750 loyalty money, bringing that down to $14,675. Add $960 for an auto trans.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Unfortunately for Michael, I fear all those incentives on a new E-GT will naturally negatively impact the offer they'll make for his current one.

• Options
    Michaell said:

As previously noted, I had a delivery shift tonight. Lots of driving, not much money, but time to think.

So, I started thinking of our good friend breld and all the cars he's moved in and out of these past few years. He's in Colorado, too - a bit north of Denver where I'm south - but realized that we can use his user name as various parts of speech.

Verb - I think I'm going to breld my lease.

Adverb - I'm feeling very breldy about my current car. Maybe it's time for a new one!

Expletive - Breld it! I thought I was getting a new car today, but the dealer and I couldn't come to terms.

Breld - for being a good sport about all this, I owe you a beer. Maybe I'll make the trip north one weekend to meet up.

Laughing my head off here in my office! Strangely, I feel honored. And happy to meet up sometime - despite living way up north, I work in the Tech Center, so am down south all the time.

Funny enough, just this morning I was thinking of changing my username here, cause it's sort of lame, but I know I'd basically have to set up an entirely new profile. And while I've been much more of a participant (due to this wonderful thread) just the past few years, I've actually been a "member" of Edmunds for 15 or so years. So back then, if you printed something off at my workplace, a cover sheet would print first that would indicate the owner of the printout. It would be the first two letters of your first name and the first three letters of your last name, in large print - in dot matrix. So...all of my printouts would be preceded by "BRELD" (for Bruce Eldredge). So that's the unoriginal, unexciting origin of my username.

But now with these new terms, Michael, I can't change it!

• Options
    @stickguy - Goodness! $499/month would be horrible with nothing down!

Funny how some dealers can't identify those customers who can see through such nonsense. There's a "row" of dealers up here in the northern Denver area that all seem to be that way. Unfortunately, it's pretty close to my home, so we find ourselves there once in awhile, but like you mentioned, we feel we need to wash off after leaving there.

• Options
    corvette said:

Breld, I'm not fond of the bright red, nonmetallic color on the 328xi. It's fairly loaded otherwise, but lacks Comfort Access. Price seems high, but so does everything on the used market nowadays.

I was behind a C240 4matic wagon today on Westport Road. Don't see those often! Thought it would be a real dog with a four cylinder Kompressor, but it looks like those were equipped with a 2.6 liter V6.

My wife loves that red/oyster combination. And FWIW, I thought it did have Comfort Access, based on the VIN, but I could be mistaken.

As far as price, we sold her 2010 328xi wagon back in June for $29,500, privately. It did have M-sport instead of just the sport package, but it was a model year older with 15k more miles than this one. So I thought their $29,995 asking price was fairly reasonable.

Or more likely, as you pointed out, all used prices are pretty high these days, and our selling price for her wagon was equally inflated.

• Options
    @roadburner‌ - can't say I know much about the Challenger, but that does seem like quite a deal at $28,500.

• Options
    You would think he would have guessed when I asked for the money factor and cap cost, and mentioned the Honda lease cash.

Or maybe they did and immediately lost interest.

Oh well. More inventory for them.

• Options
    breld said:

Unfortunately for Michael, I fear all those incentives on a new E-GT will naturally negatively impact the offer they'll make for his current one.

Yep, q just pegged the trade value at $11-12K. Me thinks the deal is dead with all that negative equity.

"Tom" called this morning and will supply the VIN to either a red or blue E-GT with style and tech - still pushing to know when I'll be in.

Talked with the wife about this ... also a no-go from her.

Sigh.

breld - I can get up to the Tech Center pretty easily. Mondays and Thursdays are the best days for me. Pick a day and a place.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    sb55 said:

Michaell said:

This is so true. I don't remember this from past years, but my 16 year old dog has been waking us up at 4:30 am. Once I walk a dog at 4:30 am, I'm not getting back to sleep!
    I've got one word for you: "Dog Door".

Well, technically, that's two words.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    Michaell said:

breld said:

Yep, q just pegged the trade value at $11-12K. Me thinks the deal is dead with all that negative equity.

"Tom" called this morning and will supply the VIN to either a red or blue E-GT with style and tech - still pushing to know when I'll be in.

Talked with the wife about this ... also a no-go from her.

Sigh.

breld - I can get up to the Tech Center pretty easily. Mondays and Thursdays are the best days for me. Pick a day and a place.
    Too bad Michaell. I was hoping to enjoy another punch vicariously!

I think my CCBA disease must be getting worse. I am struggling to stay in my 36 mo lease on the 335i. I really should stay on 24 mo leases instead of 36 of which I am about half way through.

Would love to pull the trigger on something else. Mostly just because...

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter seeks to interview a recent new car buyer who financed through a 72-month or longer loan. Please email PR@edmunds.com to share your story.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    OK, maybe the deal isn't dead.

"Tom" emailed me a VIN number to a red E-GT with style and tech. Window sticker $26,665, invoice $25,357, TMV $24,915.

Incentives: $750 loyalty, $500 holiday cash, $1500 rebate, $1000 lease cash. Oh - wife got her Masters in Education over the summer - $400 grad cash available.

TMV is an average, so if we start with a base price of $24,500 and subtract out all the incentives, that takes us to $20,350.

Current lease numbers are .00100 and 55% for 36 months, 15K miles per year.

Plugging those numbers into my handy lease spreadsheet, I get a pre-tax payment of $192.91. My local sales tax rate is 7.9%, so the total payment would be $208.15.

To the trade. Buy out is $17K, trade value is $11-12K, according to Q. If I can get $14K for it (I know, optimistic), that still leaves $3K to carry over. Add $83/mo to the base payment - $276.24 before tax, $298.06 after.

It really comes down to the trade - and, I suppose, how many of the incentives can stack.

I figure if I can get them to $275/mo with tax, I might (stress, might) be able to convince the wife. It would have all the tech she wants, so she could drive it to work on the days I don't deliver or doesn't ride with the daughter, thus keeping miles off her CX-7.

Guess I'll have to go to the dealer and have them evaluate the trade. Having dinner with wife later this afternoon, so I'll pop over to the dealer after.

Oh, breld - this is Arapahoe Hyundai. And yes, I agree that they can maybe get crazy aggressive with their offers. Perhaps this would be one of those times.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,201
    I think the CCBA virus is causing you to hallucinate..

Also, it's possible that some of those rebates aren't compatible with the lease cash.. and, if the car is $11K-$12K value, stepping up to $14K seems unrealistic..

But, I think you should go for it! ;-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Also, it's possible that some of those rebates aren't compatible with the lease cash.. and, if the car is $11K-$12K value, stepping up to $14K seems unrealistic..

The only compatibility might be the $1500 rebate and the $1000 lease cash. But, one is consumer and the other is factory-to-dealer, so who knows. Add another $20-30 to the base payment if they don't stack.

And, I know I'm shooting the moon on the expected trade value.

Since I'll be up there anyway, I figure it can't hurt to have them give me a trade number. If it's what we expect, then I'll have lost no more than 15-30 minutes.

I'm not optimistic, but it's only a little bit of time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Don't ask and the answer is always no. Costs nothing to stop in and give them a shot. Might get lucky. Worst case, you leave in the same old buggy.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Don't ask and the answer is always no. Costs nothing to stop in and give them a shot. Might get lucky. Worst case, you leave in the same old buggy.

And the "same old buggy" is still a nice car that gets the job done. Wife thinks I'm crazy for even contemplating this.

Of course, her car is now 5 model years old and has the tech to prove it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    @‌Kristie_H

I responded to the "72 month loan request" for you

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    My best friend, the Chronic Car Buyer:

6 months ago, he leased a loaded 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. He gave his 2011 LTZ Tahoe (bought in March 2012) to his wife whose lease was up on her 2012 X5 (leased in November 2011). He got the 2011 Tahoe after trading in an identical 2009 Tahoe LTZ. He LOVED having the Jeep over the summer. Literally he only put the top up when it rained. Even on cool summer nights, he'd throw on a sweat shirt & crank up the heated seats, and drive with the top down.

Every time he got back into his wife's Tahoe, he realized how much of a more substantial truck it is compared to the Jeep. Summer ended & he finally put the hard top on at the beginning of October. He keeps telling me the Jeep isn't the same with the hard top. So he starts talking to the GM (principal's son) of the Chevy dealership where he (and my Dad) bought their 2011 Tahoes. He took a ride to test drive the new 2015 Tahoe. The dealer has (2) 2015 LT Tahoes that have become "lot queens." GM apparently has some aggressive lease deals on 2015 Tahoes. He likes the Tahoe. He Likes the lease price ($10 per month more than his Wrangler). He knows after only 6 months that he'd be upside down on the Wrangler. GM of the dealer says he'll make the Wrangler "go away" if he takes the truck today (at the same lease payment he quoted him before the negative equity).

So he's picking up his 2015 LT Tahoe Today

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

The only compatibility might be the $1500 rebate and the $1000 lease cash. But, one is consumer and the other is factory-to-dealer, so who knows. Add another $20-30 to the base payment if they don't stack.

And, I know I'm shooting the moon on the expected trade value.

Since I'll be up there anyway, I figure it can't hurt to have them give me a trade number. If it's what we expect, then I'll have lost no more than 15-30 minutes.

I'm not optimistic, but it's only a little bit of time.
    There are all kinds of hidden money on the new Hyundai. Year end bonus -- sales goals etc. Just ask for top dollar on the trade and if they say no, go home. If 14K is your number -- let it cook at the dealership for a few weeks. Just make sure you convince them that you are a buyer at that number -- not a shopper. Good luck.

• Options
    Good deal on the jeep. Like driving it for free for the summer!

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

Good deal on the jeep. Like driving it for free for the summer!

Well, not quite. He did have to make 6 payments, which were probably in the $400 a month range for a “loaded 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited”. Plus whatever upfront cash was required to get into the Jeep.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    nyccarguy said:

That seems so very, very crazy to me. CRAZY! I hope he doesn't decide that he misses the Jeep's versatility when summer rolls around again....

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    edited November 2014
    Michaell said:

her car is now 5 model years old and has the tech to prove it.

Our Forester turned five a couple months ago. I'm totally happy with that car, especially now that it has the springs it should have had from the factory. We'll probably keep that one for quite some time to come.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

My best friend, the Chronic Car Buyer:

6 months ago, he leased a loaded 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. He gave his 2011 LTZ Tahoe (bought in March 2012) to his wife whose lease was up on her 2012 X5 (leased in November 2011). He got the 2011 Tahoe after trading in an identical 2009 Tahoe LTZ. He LOVED having the Jeep over the summer. Literally he only put the top up when it rained. Even on cool summer nights, he'd throw on a sweat shirt & crank up the heated seats, and drive with the top down.

Every time he got back into his wife's Tahoe, he realized how much of a more substantial truck it is compared to the Jeep. Summer ended & he finally put the hard top on at the beginning of October. He keeps telling me the Jeep isn't the same with the hard top. So he starts talking to the GM (principal's son) of the Chevy dealership where he (and my Dad) bought their 2011 Tahoes. He took a ride to test drive the new 2015 Tahoe. The dealer has (2) 2015 LT Tahoes that have become "lot queens." GM apparently has some aggressive lease deals on 2015 Tahoes. He likes the Tahoe. He Likes the lease price ($10 per month more than his Wrangler). He knows after only 6 months that he'd be upside down on the Wrangler. GM of the dealer says he'll make the Wrangler "go away" if he takes the truck today (at the same lease payment he quoted him before the negative equity).

I need to find a deal like this!

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    nyccarguy said:

@‌Kristie_H

I responded to the "72 month loan request" for you

Thanks! I actually preemptively gave them your contact info (email addy you PM'ed me previously) because I knew you qualified and make a great interviewee, and thankfully a willing one!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Can't wait to hear how your dealing goes Michael!

Obviously the targeted deal is aggressive, but I find it sort of fun to throw down numbers when you're ready to buy right then and there. If they think they can sell your E-GT (which they should), then they may step up on the trade and "get you out of it."

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited November 2014
    Wife is bringing the Mazda up to the dealer this weekend and will see what the story is...the a/c blows warm after a bit on #3 and #4 and I personally don't think she should throw anymore money at it. Going to the Mazda and Kia dealer to see what they will offer. Her accounting gig down in Marathon looks like a go now so she needs something reliable for "me" to drive down and the Accent needs new sneakers after 6 years. Considering it doesn't have cruise, I'm not a happy guy. True, once we hit the Overseas Hwy., cruise won't be necessary but it's all the other driving that I love to have cruise for. Since we only have to go down once a month, I said we could use the Tuscon since she is getting mileage from her boss which would let her keep her original time table of purchasing on December 31st...she's still mulling it over but I think she's about ready to pull the trigger.
    She's going go back to the Hyundai store for a final drive of the Accent and Elantra and then to the Kia and Mazda store and then decide. Turns out she can get a Rio with a back up camera, the one she test drove had one, so she's very happy. It's going to come down to size versus having all the safety features and since she's driven this size vehicle for months now, she's very content with it and the smaller engine. But, the safety features that the Mazda3 I Touring has are very compelling to so there's a lot to think about here and since she'll have it for awhile, I stress to her to think it through and decide what is most important to you over the long haul.
    But, we are getting closer to a decision which is great...it is definitely time!! One question though, I know if we get a Hyundai, there is the loyalty cash that I got last year and hopefully Mazda would offer the same thing. But with Kia, I'm just not sure...makes sense that they would honor our prior Hyundai ownership of now two vehicles since Hyundai and Kia are the same company now...right???

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Just got back home from the dealership.

Went to dinnner with wife and daughter first, then over to the dealership.

Give Tom the keys and the registration - he says he's going to work up a deal for me that will get me out of my current car. I tell him to go for it.

20 minutes later I see him in the office with the manager, staring intently at the computer screen and furiously scribbling on a piece of paper. So I knock on the door and walk in. Sales manager says he's trying to work his magic on the deal. I tell them they'll need to repeal the laws of finance.

Bottom line? $354/mo for 48 months, only first payment due at signing. $21,650 selling price after all incentives.

Tom kept trying to push me into a car with only the style package. I tell him I want what I want - and that what I really want is a Mustang GT with the 5.0. Manager keeps nodding his head when I explain that I'm best to just wait until the end of the lease before making any decision.

So, no new car for me. 24 more months before my lease is up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Breld it!
  • Options
    stever said:

Breld it!

Unlike stick's recent foray at the Honda delaer, I think the folks tonight weren't try to breld me. There was just too much negative equity to deal with. As we all suspected.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2014
    Maybe they'll call in three days....

My CEL came on a couple of days ago on the van. I tightened the gas cap one more click. Ignored it yesterday and started checking out parts stores in the phone book today to see where I might get the code pulled. Around the third stop running errands this afternoon the light went off.

No new car for me, lol.