Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Can you peg the trade in value of a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Sahara?

11K miles
    Perfect inside & out
    Auto
    V6/4WD/4 Door
    Billet Exterior
    Black interior
    Navigation
    Leather
    Heated Seats
    Black, 3 piece Hard Top
    Upgraded Sunrider Soft Top

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    jausanka said:

qbrozen said:

Oh boy. Well, you won't like this, then. You'll probably be getting offers of $14k. Maybe less. They are only fetching $15k at auction.

Well Poo. They are on dealer lots at $20-$21K all around here... http://www.daytonahyundai.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=preowned&location=&bodyType=&make=&model=&trim=&minYear=&maxYear=&maxPrice=&certified=&miles=
    well, that particular dealer has just 2 of them. And, for some reason, they have one with just 19k miles priced $3k less than one with 37k miles. Granted, the white would be much more desirable than the black in florida, but not THAT much more desirable. Anyway, the $19,300 asking price is just about right. That's about a $3500-$4k markup from what they have in it, giving them $1k-$1500 wiggle room and leaving a decent profit.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

nyccarguy said:

Can you peg the trade in value of a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Sahara?

11K miles
    Perfect inside & out
    Auto
    V6/4WD/4 Door
    Billet Exterior
    Black interior
    Navigation
    Leather
    Heated Seats
    Black, 3 piece Hard Top

wow! there are a GLUT of these at auction. I'm surprised the value isn't far lower considering how plentiful they are. Prices are a bit varied, though and seemingly very regional. The PA examples I have are a bit higher, which is where you would fall. So I'm going to hit it at $30k.

Probably get about $1k more out in Denver and $1500 less in Nashville. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Thanks!

it is in Fairfield County, CT

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Can you peg the trade in value on a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited?

Fairfield County, CT (NYC SUBURB)
    Billet Exterior
    Black Interior
    4 Door/4WD
    Automatic
    Heated Seats
    Leather Seats
    Black 3 piece hard top
    Navigation
    Perfect condition
    11K miles

??

Are you asking if CT and PA differ? Although the one example at the new England auction was a bit lower, its just an n of 1, so I can't count it as meaning anything significant. I'll stick with the $30k.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,024
    2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

19,000 miles. Base model. Metro Denver area  

9/10 interior

8/10 exterior

New tires with about 1000 miles on them

Silver exterior, black cloth interior. 

What say you?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@qbrozen‌

Sorry for the double post. I typed the 2nd one on my iPad. It vanished & showed up this afternoon.

$11k-$12k on the elantra.

qbrozen said:

$11k-$12k on the elantra.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• lenndellenndel Member Posts: 28
    Looking to see how much equity on my 2012 Kia Sportage AWD base model (cloth, no sunroof, power windows/locks). 22k miles. Payoff value $15,976.16. I have 4 monthly payments left on it of $329.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    lenndel said:

Looking to see how much equity on my 2012 Kia Sportage AWD base model (cloth, no sunroof, power windows/locks). 22k miles. Payoff value $15,976.16. I have 4 monthly payments left on it of $329.

You need to specify your location. That "AWD" option is much more valuable on the frozen tundra of the northern wastelands than it is on the sunny beaches of Florida.

Also might be a good idea to specify the color.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    henryn said:

lenndel said:

You need to specify your location. That "AWD" option is much more valuable on the frozen tundra of the northern wastelands than it is on the sunny beaches of Florida.

Also might be a good idea to specify the color.

Unfortunately, I am in the "frozen tundra" so to speak of Central NY haha. And it is white with black cloth interior.
  • jausankajausanka Member Posts: 27
    qbrozen said:

Oh boy. Well, you won't like this, then. You'll probably be getting offers of $14k. Maybe less. They are only fetching $15k at auction.

Just closing the loop on this... ended up at $15,250 without detailing the car, so I guess I did okay. Thanks for the insights!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Q, have been offered $2.5k by one dealer for our '05 Mazda3s with no a/c and $2k from another. It's got 135.5k on the clock, silver in color with an auto tranny. Tires are 50% worn and has a few dents and scratches...looks like a 10 year old vehicle but cleans up nicely. Drives nicely for it's age and figuring that cutting it from the herd is best right now because if we do fix the a/c, who knows when something else's going to go. There comes a time when it's just best to let it go and think we are there already.
    These offers were from two local Kia and Mazda dealers with the farther one giving the higher amounts and saying to not fix the a/c...they seem to really want our business more than the store right down the road.
    As always, thanks for your help. The two potential vehicles to buy are the Kia Rio EX and the Mazda3 I Touring.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    seems like strong offers for a bad AC in Fla car! Especially since it will be wholesaled. Don't think you would be getting much more if you were willing to try craig's. easy decision.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

No way, figured on $2.5k from a dealer which also happened back in '05 with her Altima which also had a non working a/c due to an unavailable part from Nissan. The a/c was working when we traded the Altima as we had just put a shot of freon in it. We discussed getting the Mazda's a/c fixed but who knows what will go wrong next...I said you need to pick a point when you just say "no more" and cut it from the herd. That time has come!
    Stopped by a neighbor who has a new Mazda3 but the base version and it is nice though the hood is a bit long and this is not working in it's favor. It's really coming down to size versus safety dodads at this point. She will stop and try out the A3 just to see if it might work...maybe they'd even have a demo that we could snag at a decent discount. Figure if you don't ask, you don't get! And she just might find it's the perfect vehicle for her so why not...doesn't cost anything to test drive except time. And it would be pretty cool to have that in the garage!
    Did have trouble backing out of the garage earlier as she had pulled her Mazda a bit too close to mine and I was a bit close to the wall...had to back in and out a bit to escape getting another scuff on the side view mirror. She was watching me go through this and is thinking the smaller sized vehicle might just be the way to go for the next few years. Have to agree with that but also mentioned checking out the Rio SX, the top of the line...a bit more money but one gets push button start, a sunroof and larger 17" wheels. Something to add to the mix and personally, I'd love it as I do love a factory hole in the roof!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

lenndel said:

Looking to see how much equity on my 2012 Kia Sportage AWD base model (cloth, no sunroof, power windows/locks). 22k miles. Payoff value $15,976.16. I have 4 monthly payments left on it of $329. Location is NY, white with black cloth interior.

Reposting ...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

thanks, Michaell.

Sooo... LX is their base model, yes? Good color, good miles.

They kind of nailed it with that payoff. Right now, you might get $14,500-$15k as a trade, and it would retail for the $18k-$19k range.

qbrozen said:

thanks, Michaell.

Sooo... LX is their base model, yes? Good color, good miles.

They kind of nailed it with that payoff. Right now, you might get $14,500-$15k as a trade, and it would retail for the $18k-$19k range.

Great, thanks for your help!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Q, have been offered $2.5k by one dealer for our '05 Mazda3s with no a/c and $2k from another. It's got 135.5k on the clock, silver in color with an auto tranny. Tires are 50% worn and has a few dents and scratches...looks like a 10 year old vehicle but cleans up nicely. Drives nicely for it's age and figuring that cutting it from the herd is best right now because if we do fix the a/c, who knows when something else's going to go. There comes a time when it's just best to let it go and think we are there already.
    These offers were from two local Kia and Mazda dealers with the farther one giving the higher amounts and saying to not fix the a/c...they seem to really want our business more than the store right down the road.
    As always, thanks for your help. The two potential vehicles to buy are the Kia Rio EX and the Mazda3 I Touring.

Tell the dealer that your A/C "just needs a charge". That'll take care of things!

It really does need a charge to work temporarily but...there must be a smallish leak since it is a closed system and if all is good, the freon never should go away. Just hate to throw anymore money at this old dog...it's time to move it to the place where old cars go to. Seems like the 3 I Touring hatch has made the short list to because it is a few inches smaller. We just can't find a subcompact with all the safety stuff the Mazda3 I Touring has for a price in the mid $20's and even though she really likes the Kia Rio, her heart is still with the Mazda and it's safety features. So the hatch might be her only viable choice here. And looking like Thanksgiving week or weekend is going to be the purchase date!

The Sandman :(B)

• noah27noah27 Member Posts: 12
    Need serious help, I just got in a 2013 Mercedes Benz C250 Coupe on October 25th and I want to get out of it now, I can't deal with this car anymore I need practicality and more room, someone please advise me on how I can get out of this car, I paid 28,9 for it came out with the total financed being 32k, car has Premium 1 Pkg, Becker Pre Wiring, Rear Spoiler, Keyless GO and AMG rims.
    Car has 24.5k miles aswell.
    edited November 2014
    well, sounds like a nice car. I assume you took it to a dealer to try and trade it in on something that makes more sense for you? If so, what did they hit you at?

Also, what state? Hopefully you are in one that gives a sales tax credit on a trade in.

you positive that it can't work? Because this is likely to be an expensive move unless you got it for a killer deal.

what are you looking to replace it with? Because if you are upside down, you may need to find something with enough incentives to hide negative equity.

Qbrozen can give you auction #s, but Edmunds pegs trade in right around 24K or so (at least in my area).

stickguy said:

well, sounds like a nice car. I assume you took it to a dealer to try and trade it in on something that makes more sense for you? If so, what did they hit you at?

Also, what state? Hopefully you are in one that gives a sales tax credit on a trade in.

you positive that it can't work? Because this is likely to be an expensive move unless you got it for a killer deal.

what are you looking to replace it with? Because if you are upside down, you may need to find something with enough incentives to hide negative equity.

Qbrozen can give you auction #s, but Edmunds pegs trade in right around 24K or so (at least in my area).

Im in Daytona Beach, Florida, I'm looking into getting into a lease, in one of the big 3, audi, bmw or benz, I can't be stuck in this car for much longer, I have no headroom, at most an inch and a half, and this car kills my back as well (you sit at a very akward angle), I tried to get into a GLA 250 today and they appraised me at 23k, They said payments would over 600. This car cannot work, I am 6 foot 3 and only 16, my mom bought the car for me so I didn't get to do the practicality test. She now realizes that I'm struggling with the car and now I guess were paying for it. She has asked me to see what I can do or find out so that's what I'm doing now. Here is a picture of the car. I love the car, it is just not working out for me. imgur.com/kXd4JMi
  • fuelcellguyfuelcellguy Member Posts: 31
    Hoping you can help me out. We are trying to get out of our equinox lease a few months early and most dealerships seem to be low balling because they say they really don't want it and will just give it back to the bank.
    We have a 2012 Equinox LS FWD base model, no options. It is dark grey with 36,000 miles. It is clean, no issues, tires are probably 50% or so. We are in NY zip code 14564.
    Most dealers are telling us in the $13100 - $13,500 range. Our residual at the end is $13,100.
    Fuellcellguy, how many months early? If you are going back into another GM, they usually will do a pull ahead. Doesn't help you much if going to another brand. So if the buyout now (I assume the 13,100 residual is the true end of lease residual) is higher than the trade in values, you either bite the bullet and absorb the negative equity, or the likely much better financial move of just riding it out and handing it back, effectively making GMAC eat the negative equity instead of you.

fuelcell - I'm not sure what the problem is. Is it literally a few months? I'm confused why dealers haven't just offered to roll the remaining few payments into something else.

Noah - $23k is on the low side, but its a buttload of miles for a '13 Benz. Still, at a Benz dealer trying to get you into another Benz, I think they should be willing to push it to $25k.

However, either way, you are screwed. $7k is a big big chunk of change to try to bury. My advice? See what you can do to make it work. If the seat is the biggest obstacle, take it to a customizing shop. I would find an aftermarket seat and have them swap it in. Keep the old seat in storage until it is time to unload it and bolt that back in. Is it the most elegant solution? No. Will it look great? Probably not. Is it worth saving $7k? I say hell yes.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    stickguy said:

Those dastardly Germans- designing a car that gets smaller after you buy it! There oughta be a law...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Well, first rule (violated in thus case) is to try on something to see if it fits before you buy it, if the item is not returnable!

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    This is a rather strange story here. Noah27 buys a 2013 Mercedes on October 25, and it now has 24,500 miles. That is a LOT of miles in 13 months, a lot of driving in a car that “kills my back”. He also states that he is 16, and that his mother bought the car for him. If he is 16 now, and his mother bought the car for him 13 months ago, he must have been 15 at that time? Can you get a driver’s license in Florida at age 15? You can’t in Texas.

I wish someone had bought me a $30k car when I was 15!
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    @noah27‌

Can you trade cars with your Mother?

henryn said:

This is a rather strange story here. Noah27 buys a 2013 Mercedes on October 25, and it now has 24,500 miles. That is a LOT of miles in 13 months, a lot of driving in a car that “kills my back”. He also states that he is 16, and that his mother bought the car for him. If he is 16 now, and his mother bought the car for him 13 months ago, he must have been 15 at that time? Can you get a driver’s license in Florida at age 15? You can’t in Texas.

No - as I understand it, the car is used and was purchased just a few weeks ago. Mom bought the car without his input, not knowing he wouldn't fit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@henryn‌

I'm 38 & wish someone would buy me a $30K car:)

I think they purchased the car used or as a CPO model. I think he's only had the car for a few weeks.

You want to swap cars? I'll give you my wife's 2011 Pilot with 56K miles (plenty of room for you & your friends) even for your 2013 C250:)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's crazy to blow $7K---this is not chump change for most people, although there are others who lose that much in their sofas. If I were in Noah's situation, I think I'd bring the car to Mercedes and have them check to make sure all the possible adjustments have been explored.
    henryn said:

October 25th, 2014 the car was a personal lease before we got it.
  • therealbofatherealbofa Member Posts: 53
    Hi, can anyone give me a trade value for a 2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD in Colorado (80104)? No damage/accidents, 32000 miles, Blizzard Pearl White with the Convenience Package, Alarm, and Leather Seats. Thanks!

Hi, can anyone give me a trade value for a 2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD in Colorado (80104)? No damage/accidents, 32000 miles, Blizzard Pearl White with the Convenience Package, Alarm, and Leather Seats. Thanks!

Interesting ... my home zip code is 80104, too.

Can't help with the trade value; our resident expert, q, will be along at some point and give you a good number to work with. He hit the trade value of my daughter's 2010 MINI Cooper on the nose earlier this year when she traded it in.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

hmmm... sounds nice. While I don't have data on Colorado, I'd have to assume it would do pretty well there. If its real sharp and all maintenance up to date and needs nothing, might see $27k-$27,500 for it.

Michaell said:

Interesting ... my home zip code is 80104, too.

Can't help with the trade value; our resident expert, q, will be along at some point and give you a good number to work with. He hit the trade value of my daughter's 2010 MINI Cooper on the nose earlier this year when she traded it in.
    Oh nice. We just built a new place in Kings Ridge. We love it out here.
    qbrozen said:

hmmm... sounds nice. While I don't have data on Colorado, I'd have to assume it would do pretty well there. If its real sharp and all maintenance up to date and needs nothing, might see $27k-$27,500 for it.

Yeah, all up to date and dealer maintained. Thanks for the info!
  • metaphysicalmetaphysical Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2014
    Hi.  My lease end is coming up in a little over a month. It's a 2012 civic lx base grey 4 door model. I've only driven it for 24k miles. Problem is,  I got rear ended 2 months back and the rear pumper and trunk lid had to be replaced. So the residual listed on the lease contract is 12.2k. Is it good idea to buy the car or not? Also,  I think there was a recall for this model but mine wasn't affected. I'm in CA. 
    Personally, I don't think its a "good deal." Its quite subjective in some regard. So, the car's straight up trade value is going to be very dependent on the quality of the repair, but it will never be worth as much as a car that wasn't repaired. Figure, at best, I think you may get $8500 for it. Now, a clean one would change hands at the auction block for $11k and fetch fair retail of $14k.

Your residual is, obviously, saving you $1800; HOWEVER, that's for a marked car. At the same time, it is the car you know and took care of.

If it were my money, I'd be letting it go back to Honda at lease end and starting over. But not everyone would agree.

• metaphysicalmetaphysical Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the quick response.  The back looks brand new but as you said it is marked.
  • fw7fw7 Member Posts: 4
    Hello All,

First of all - wanted to say thank you to everyone here for providing insight. I have been a long term lurker and have found some awesome (money-saving) tips here.

My wife and I are looking to trade in our car for a new SUV (family planning) for future. Can you give me an idea on what to expect and how much more over would I be able to negotiate?

2009 honda civic EX coupe in bright Red
    53400 miles
    Options: sports wheels, nav, bluetooth, moonroof, satellite radio, premium audio etc.
    Tires: 50%
    Condition - Very good - just one small dent on the passenger side - easy fix

Thanks,

Faheem
    an EX with nav? I thought that was only possible on an EXL? Or is that an aftermarket system? Because that detracts from the value a bit (although probably not much on a Civic).

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's not just that it is marked--it's that it is a relatively new marked car. If it were a 2005, few people would care about a minor fender bender, and a car 9 years old would have already fully depreciated anyway.

Thanks for the quick response.  The back looks brand new but as you said it is marked.

• april818april818 Member Posts: 4
    Can someone help me with my trade in value? I currently have a 2011 Nissan Altima Coupe and I want to trade it in for a 2014 Honda Accord Coupe.

Year: 2011
    Model: Altima Coupe
    Trim: 2.5, 4cyl (automatic)
    Mileage: 48k
    Tires: Just bought brand new ones in May (driven 7k so far with them)
    Color: Silver
    Interior: Black cloth
    Spoiler: No
    Package: Premium Passenger ventilation controls; Electric glass sunroof; Bose audio system (reads MP3 format) ; includes RDS , satellite radio; Seven Bose speakers; 4.3" color display; RearView Monitor rear camera parking distance sensors; Bluetooth; Voice activating system for phone; Driver and passenger and passenger door mirrors; LED side indicator lights; Interior dimensions: 37.2 in. front headroom; Requires: [K01] 2.5S Convenience Package; Excludes: [H92] Bluetooth (PIO)
    Amount Owed on car: $10,500

Has anyone used Carphoria to sell their used car? I got an internet quote from them for between $10,500-$11,500 but I have to bring it in to determine the final value. I gave them the vin# so they should know about the accidents. Has anyone sold a car with carphoria before? It's new and they basically broker your car out across the nation to get the highest bid. They charge $149 for their service.

I've also been in 3 accidents in the car (none my fault). The 1st one was about $9k of damages to the side of the car when a guy ran a red light a tboned me. The car was fixed at a Nissan dealership and has a lifetime guarantee on the work. The 2nd and 3rd were minor fender benders (got rear ended). The rear bumper has been replaced once. There was never any mechanical damage. It was all cosmetic.

What's a realistic trade in # to a dealership? I do get a tax break if I trade the car into the dealership I'm buying the Honda from.

I appreciate any info anyone can provide. Thanks!
  • fw7fw7 Member Posts: 4
    Hey QBFrozen,

Its all Honda's nav package. It is or was possible to get the tech package on EX.