Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Subaru Outback Prices Paid

dilberticdilbertic Member Posts: 63
edited May 2015 in Subaru

About to order a 2015 2.5i Limited with Moonroof - Keyless - Nav - Eyesite package and a few extra's options wondering what people have been paying for the new models.

Comments

• fred25fred25 Member Posts: 92

dilbertic, it would be helpful if you are about to order your vehicle to post what pricing have you have been quoted: the cost, the taxes, and any fees the dealer is charging you. Plus where you are located. You will get better responses if you post your numbers. We are all here to help each other.
    Thank you.

• jammy3jammy3 Member Posts: 1

I'd love to know that as well. I'm looking at the same exact model. I haven't gotten any quotes from dealers yet. According to Edmunds:
    Base Price Invoice is $28,106/MSRP $29,995/TrueMarket $32,906*. It doesn't list taxes. There is an $850 destination fee. $215 for "Regional adjustment for zip code."
    My husband and I suck at negotiating. Any tips would be great. Thanks!

• freddrfreddr Member Posts: 30
    I think the best way to start is to contact several dealers via their website and ask for prices, some are more open than others but the more info the better. Try to pit them against each other.

freddr I agree with you to use the dealers web site. But before you contact the dealer YOU must educate yourself as to what the invoice and MSRP pricing and know what the cost of different trim lines. In addition know what options cost. In this way you will have a good idea of what the vehicle may cost you.
    Also be advised that Subaru does not manufacturer as many vehicles as the other dealers such as Honda, Nissan, Toyota, etc. Since this is a new redesign the demand is very high and the supply at this point is low. That's why it is essential to know your pricing and what you will be willing to spend.

Sorry for the typo it should read other Manufacturers

• freddrfreddr Member Posts: 30
    I see that you are looking for 2-4% below invoice for a 2015 Outback; are you finding that the dealer then adds on the dealer fee? Thank you
  • shustershuster Member Posts: 10

you should go for about 10% of msrp...i had no problem getting that on a base model

• gilangilan Member Posts: 5

Hi
    I wanted to buy an Outback Limited 2.5 PEVZ with no option in White for my wife. None of the dealers had this in stock in SF Bay Area. However, Carlsen Subaru offered to order the vehicle for me to be delivered in 2/3 months. He said most of the Limited versions come full option and I need to order it if I wanted with no option.

Anyways, I got an offer from Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City for $600 below invoice. I didn't buy they car because I know for 2014 model year, the dealers were selling them for $1000-$2000 under invoice.

I'm waiting to see if I can get the car for at least $1k under invoice. Maybe by xmas that is possible.

Anybody else in the Bay Area had any experience with the Outback Limited?

• drddodrddo Member Posts: 33

A few weeks ago I got a 2015 2.5i Limited with keyless, nav, moonroof and auto dimming mirrors for invoice. I got the quote from a dealer in the Detroit area, and my local dealer matched the offer. I got a few other offers close to invoice in the Detroit area as well. I was Emailing dealers in Chicago and they were taking off $500 from sticker on average...

drddo
    You indicated that you got a 2015, 2.5 limited with keyless entry etc for invoice. What was the actual invioce price that you received? Did you lock it in with a down payment?

• drddodrddo Member Posts: 33
    MSRP was $33,469 and I paid $31,063. With $200 doc. fee, $1,898.78 tax, $15 title and $8 plate transfer my grand OTD total was $33,161.78. I did secure the car with a deposit. They had to trade with another dealer for the car, since they didn't have any with my requested options on the lot.
  • nyc6035nyc6035 Member Posts: 13
    I'm looking at a 2015 2.5L Limited with the following:
    Moonroof papckage with keyless, pushbutton start, nav & eyesight (MSRP2990)
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Trailer Hitch
    All Weather Floor mats
    Rear Seat Back Protector

MSRP $34942
    Offer Price: $32,172 plus $379 conveyance fee total: $32,551 plus tax, etc.
    So $2770 off MSRP or just shy of 8% off.
    Located in Westchester County - Lower CT area.

Car will have to be ordered due to inavailability of eyesight.

Thoughts on offer?
    NYC6035. What is a conveyance fee?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    fred25 said:

NYC6035. What is a conveyance fee?

Connecticut's version of a doc fee...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• max_tmax_t Member Posts: 18
    I negotiated the following deal in Milwaukee, WI:

Car: Outback 2015 Limited 2.5i (Carbide Gray)
    Options: option package 22, popular package 5
    MSRP: $33,998
    Negotiated price: $30,954 (~9% below MSRP) + full tank of gas
    Dealer fees: $195
    Acquisition fee (for the lease): $595
    Title and License: $79
    Tax: charged monthly as part of the lease payment
    Residual value: 57%
    Money Factor: 0.00050

I could have pushed for a few hundred $ off more for the negotiated price, but I got really good number on my trade-in and will be getting a nice chunk of cash back from the equity in my old car.
  • max_tmax_t Member Posts: 18
    forgot to mention, the pricing above also includes the body side molding option.
    kyfdx
    Thanks for the explanation of the conveyance fee.
  • jsgntulokjsgntulok Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2.5i Outback Limited on order from Brandon Tomes in McKinney TX. Equipment is Option Package 23 (Nav/Roof/Eyesight), Popular Package 5, Hitch. Price is $31,975.00 plus $125.00 Documentation Fee. Other dealers that offer below invoice pricing include Heuberger in Colorado Springs, Grand in Chicago, Niel Huffman in Louisville KY. Best way to get best price is be willing to travel a bit and cast your shopping net a bit wide by contacting internet departments at various dealers.
  • jimt3jimt3 Member Posts: 2
    FWIW, the only listed deals that I find helpful are ones where the buyer makes it clear where the car was purchased, and that no trade-in was involved. For those cases, the only helpful price information is what the total MSRP including delivery was, how much the total tax was, and how much the buyer paid total.

The question I ask a dealer is, "Since I am paying cash for the car, all I want to know is what amount do you want me to put on the check?"

If I know where you bought the car, I can figure out what the minimum state charges such as title and plates really are, even if you paid the dealer $550 to do it.

My 2c.

I am about to buy a Subaru Limited w/ some options through the VIP program in Kane County, IL. I can post those numbers when I get them if anyone is interested. I am no good at negotiation of any kind, so I will be interested to see what the total cost comes out to. The basic VIP is supposed to be 2% under invoice, but of course "invoice" does not include a documentation fee, shine her up fee, full tank fee, you look like an easy mark fee, yada yada yada. We'll see.
    How do you know what the invoice is...the dealer will never say what they actually paid for the car. The best way is to go by the sticker and get a discount on that number. You should go for 11-13% off that number. If you get that you are doing good!
    Don't worry about the tax and stuff like that...the dealer doesn't make a penny of that. the only thing you want to know is the dealership fee which ranges from like $500 to about $800. they don't usually negotiate that...you may get like 100 bucks off but when you are buying 33K and more car whats 100 bucks!
    shuster said:

How do you know what the invoice is...the dealer will never say what they actually paid for the car. The best way is to go by the sticker and get a discount on that number. You should go for 11-13% off that number. If you get that you are doing good!

You can look up the invoice right here on Edmunds. Use the Make/Model/Year tabs at the top of the page.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

that's true but those numbers are not that accurate as manufacturers give dealerships additional discounts depending on how many cars and stuff like that they sell. If dealers sell below invoice how exactly they stay in business? Also,i think those numbers for invoice don't take into consideration different packages that come with vehicles. I got a base model but it came with a package which raised the price.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    shuster said:

that's true but those numbers are not that accurate as manufacturers give dealerships additional discounts depending on how many cars and stuff like that they sell. If dealers sell below invoice how exactly they stay in business? Also,i think those numbers for invoice don't take into consideration different packages that come with vehicles. I got a base model but it came with a package which raised the price.

We will never know the "true" cost a dealer paid for a car in their inventory. As you said, there are bonus programs, unknown factory to dealer incentives and other factors that would adjust the price.

The "invoice" price quoted is what is published and serves as a good target to work towards - or below. Dealers exist to make money - from new cars, from used cars and from service and parts. They won't make a deal where they are losing money, even if the transaction price is below invoice.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

one way to narrow down YOUR true cost is to do your homework! That is know what the invoice pricing and the MSRP prices. You can get a good idea from Edmunds, Kelly's Blue Book, and NADA to start. Also know what the packages will cost, both invoice and MSRP and options for the vehicle.
    Price out the differen trim levels Then you go to several dealers and find out what they are asking for the same vehicle. Please keep in mind that the 2015 Outback is a new redesign for this year, so the supply is very limited and the demand is very high. It will take the manufacturer several months to catch up with demand. Right now the wait is 6 to 8 weeks if your dealer does not have the vehicle you want.
  • mkielmmkielm Member Posts: 38
    For starters, thanks to everyone who contributes on these pages. I have bought a few cars over the past 10 years, and these forums have been very beneficial in the process. I am in Central Virginia - worked with 3 different dealers over the course of 4 days. Not sure how good this deal is compared to others, but the process was relatively painless - used Consumer Reports/True Car tool and negotiated off that number (not much off that number).

2015 2.5i Limited
    Options:
    - #23 - Keyless/push start, Nav. Info, EyeSight, moonroof PKG
    - PZEV
    Accessories:
    - Rear Bumper Underguard
    - Splash Guards
    - Rear Bumper Cover
    - Rear Seatback Protector
    - Cargo Net

MSRP - $34718. Sale price with destination - 31,098.36. Out-the-door - $33,000

Edmunds.com invoice 32,136. Sales associate (be happy to give reference for those in Richmond area - he was great) told me the deal was ~$900 under invoice/Edmunds.com has it at $1037.64 under invoice. One interesting piece of info, I forgot to add PZEV during initial negotiations. One dealer told me that when ordering a car there is no extra charge for PZEV - I didn't look, but bet it shows up on the window sticker as an up-charge for cars on the lot.

Happy shopping.
    Congrats on the new Sube!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lmartilmarti Member Posts: 16
    mkielm said:

Sales associate (be happy to give reference for those in Richmond area - he was great) told me the deal was ~$900 under invoice/Edmunds.com has it at $1037.64 under invoice.

Live in Richmond and I have a '12 that I'm thinking of trading in. Would love to know which dealership and which salesperson you worked with. I can't believe how slim inventory in this area is.

• mkielmmkielm Member Posts: 38
    Howdy lmarti:
    I dealt with Charlie Guthrie at Subaru of Richmond on West Broad. They were willing to match the best written quote I obtained from another dealer (they actually ended up beating it by a few bucks to get me to an even number which was nice of them and did more for me psychologically then wallet wise - but that builds positive reputation). If you talk with him please say hello from Matthew M.
    I think inventory for the new Outback is pretty limited everywhere - we ended up ordering with delivery estimated at end of Jan.
    Happy shopping.
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    Factory order: ~5% below invoice with all the (doc) fees included.

Can recommend Moyer in PA and Grand in IL for good communication and pricing.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    Question: I stumbled onto a leftover 2014 2.5 Premium. Dealer's first offer was 2 grand below MSRP. That seemed pretty high. What should I expect to get off on a leftover?
  • inquiztivinquiztiv Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2015
    live in NJ and looking to buy a 2015 Outback2.5i W/ Power Rear Gate + Eyesight + Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert and contacted couple of dealers to request their quote.

Quote received was for Outback equipped W/ Moonroof Package + Power Rear Gate + Navigation System + Eyesight + Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert for $30,418!!! Dealer hasn't mentioned fees involved.

Please advise if this is a good/fair price, Appreciate any tips to negotiate the price down.

thanks
  • dilberticdilbertic Member Posts: 63
    Sorry for the very slow followup, I was trying to price out the car for my mother, tried a few dealerships but at that time I had to order the car and wait 2 or 3 months for it to come in. This is the deal I got and the dealer was outside of San Jose, CA area:
    2015 Outback 2.5i Limited ( White / Beige )
    Moonroof Package + Keyless Access & Start + Navigation System + EyeSight
    Option code: 23
    (PYF) (06O 053 063 05X 06H) POPULAR PACKAGE #5
    (056) BUMPER UNDERGUARD REAR
    (05B) BODY SIDE MOLDING-CRYSTAL WHITE PEARL
    (062) WHEEL ARCH MOLDINGS

Dealer said Invoice ( Minus ) 650.00
    $32,830
    - 32,210.00 + Tax and Lic so on

Dil

• mdchipmdchip Member Posts: 10
    Hello--

I am being offered $24,777 for a 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i. I would need to add $150 in fees and sales tax. The car is not on the lot, but is supposed to be in by the end of the month. In Western New York the cars are hard to find.

Thanks