Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mystery car pix

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    that is the mystery machine.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    magnette said:

The Rocky Horror Show is on at a West End cinema somewhere about once a month I think - the people going to that look distinctive when boarding the tube train in the suburbs - although no-one would notice by the time they get to the centre of town...

Rocky Horror has been shown in a theater somewhere in Boston every weekend for almost 30 years. I went a couple of times back in the late 80's.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    So what's next, Reefer Madness?
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    edited November 2014
    G'day

I was always a bit vague on what exactly the Mystery Machine was, in similar fashion to the doubtful ancestry of Scooby Doo (apparently he had every conformation defect known to the Great Dane Registry of the KCC; however, his timidity is absolutely true to type for every Great Dane I've met!) .

Someone suggested a mid '60s Chevy van but we did not see them in Oz that I can recall. I know in the later movies they used other vans, including a Holden van as some Scooby Doo movies were shot in Australia. The Holden vans dated from the late 70's and early 80's and were sometimes fitted with a 253 or 308 cid V8. A little scary as brakes were not really up to it! A cousin, who worked for GMH, had one which he used to tow a race-car (I think a Triumph TR4)

My now adult children remain terribly impressed at my Scooby imitation (used as a phone message asking "Scooby Doo, Where are you?")

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,687
    edited November 2014
    To me, the Mystery Machine looked like a combination of Chevy van from the mid 60's, and one of those old VW buses. It was definitely rear-engine, as I remember a few episodes where it broke down and Freddy tried to fix it, and they showed the engine in the rear. Also, the Mystery Machine has no grille, like a VW bus.

However, in overall shape, the Mystery Machine resembles a Chevy to me...more crisp and angular. A VW bus is shaped more like a big Twinkie.

As for the movies, according to IMCDB, the 2002 Scooby Doo movie used two different vans for the Mystery Machine. One is labeled as a 1972 Bedford CF, and the other as simply a "Chevy Van", but it looks like the same thing as the Bedford, which looks like a ~1971 Chevy van with a Pontiac-inspired split grille.
  • Options
    Corsair van with a rear engine? I don't remember the live movie that well. And the cartoon was not exactly a faithful representation.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    The Bluesmobile I posted is from the new Blues Brothers, which I never saw, but assume is isn't as good.
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392

Who knew? (I didn't)

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    the infamous 1970ish Monte Carlo convertible? anyone ever figure out if that was a pro job, or a "case of beer and a sawzall in the garage" job?

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    from the little I can see it looks pro.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

the infamous 1970ish Monte Carlo convertible? anyone ever figure out if that was a pro job, or a "case of beer and a sawzall in the garage" job?

The ad I took it from does not specify but to me it looks professionally done and a bunch more attractive than the factory tin top.

• Options
    N.S.H.

• Options
    Alfa 166.

What the heck is that doing for sale in North America??
  • Options
    robr2 said:

Alfa 166.

What the heck is that doing for sale in North America??

G'day

Why are so many Italian cars (especially saloons) really dodgy colours?

A UK colleague had an Alfa 164 which I drove occasionally in the 1990s. Very nice car and sweet engine but always felt a little delicate.

The 166 was apparently sold here in Australia, but I cannot recall seeing one. A quick search suggests good ones are available for about AUD5,000

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    Well, that made me deathly curious. Went to that dealer's website and they happen to have 2 166s. No idea why. In any case, that is a 1999 with over 140k miles they've priced at $13k!! Ummm... No thank you! I won't even ask about the unpriced 2001 with 42k!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Well, that made me deathly curious. Went to that dealer's website and they happen to have 2 166s. No idea why. In any case, that is a 1999 with over 140k miles they've priced at $13k!! Ummm... No thank you! I won't even ask about the unpriced 2001 with 42k!

I went there as well and both cars have carfax reports going back to 2000 and 2001 respectively. I'm just wondering how those are here?
  • Options
    magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,156
    robr2 said:

qbrozen said:

I went there as well and both cars have carfax reports going back to 2000 and 2001 respectively. I'm just wondering how those are here?

Could they have been with the Italian embassy in DC or the consulate somewhere?
  • Options
    magnette said:

robr2 said:

qbrozen said:

Could they have been with the Italian embassy in DC or the consulate somewhere?
    Both carfaxes have them registered in Wisconsin so it seems unlikely.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    G'day

Not a mystery car, but an unusual bike, which I don't recognize. I am guessing mid 70's. Added points for identifying the rider

http://thatyouride.tumblr.com/image/93140224143

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Looks like Hunter S. Thompson on the bike.
  • Options
    stever said:

Looks like Hunter S. Thompson on the bike.

G'day

Well you got that in one. One of my favourite US writers. I used to love reading Rolling Stone for his lengthy, and usually very weird stories. My knowledge of US culture was refined by Doonesbury and Hunter. S Thompson!

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    That motorcycle does have Penton written on the fuel tank.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Oh, Hunter. We miss him. One of his favorite afternoon pastimes in Aspen was lining up filled bottles of propane and shooting them with a rifle.

G'day

Not a mystery car, but an unusual bike, which I don't recognize. I am guessing mid 70's. Added points for identifying the rider

http://thatyouride.tumblr.com/image/93140224143

Cheers

Graham

• Options
    Here's another NSH car that somehow made it to the USA>

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Not such a great mystery actually, but I think this is one of the most handsome cars of the 1950s, foreign or domestic.

• Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472

Not such a great mystery actually, but I think this is one of the most handsome cars of the 1950s, foreign or domestic.

You know, I was about to claim a victory over what I figured was an attempt to get responders to say Chrysler 300. I caught on to the fact that it was in fact an Imperial when I saw the bullet tail lights. But then I saw that the game was given away by the label given below the image. Darn (and other things).

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2014
    Labels can be deceptive though. :)
  • Options
    yeah well I didn't really post it as a "mystery". I was just admiring it. Good catch on the tail lights though!

Really what's to compare to this lovely thing in 1955. Surely not the shoebox Chevy, or the stylistically tormented Ford.

Compare to this car. Why should it be worth a gazillion times more? Doesn't seem right.

• Options

Oh, Hunter. We miss him. One of his favorite afternoon pastimes in Aspen was lining up filled bottles of propane and shooting them with a rifle.

G'day

I imagine it would have been hell living next door to Hunter S Thompson, but Hemingway would have been a problem too!

I am still mystified by the motorbike. I have found that Penton made off road and trials bikes but know little of them

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Really what's to compare to this lovely thing in 1955. Surely not the shoebox Chevy, or the stylistically tormented Ford.

Compare to this car. Why should it be worth a gazillion times more? Doesn't seem right.

That's a Maserati A6GS (body by Vignale IIRC). It's a million times rarer and IMO a million times prettier (one of my favorite cars of all time) and I say that as a fan of the'55-'56 Chrysler and Imperials.

• Options
    edited November 2014

You've got that right. When I was six one of our neighbors had a '55 DeSoto and that almost made me wet myself. If it had been an Imperial I would have had to change my pants every time I saw it.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    Well it's "European" and the Chrysler is "American" and it shows, you're right about that. If anything is on the Chrysler's side, it's that it is certainly built better. And yes, there are only a handful of these lovely Masers around and rarity counts in this case, for a lot. I would guess these Masers are now fetching....what....1/2 mil to 750K? I haven't checked lately.

Still for a fraction of the price, you will get no fewer eyeballs on you in this '55 Imperial than you would in the Maserati, at least from the general public.

Driving? Well, the Maserati would be a lot more thrilling, but a '55 Chrysler is a nicer ride than one might suppose. There's just nothing sporty about it.
  • Options
    I always thought the '55 Mopar line up was quite handsome for it's time. Personally, I was partial to the Desoto and Dodge looks that year, and I also thought there were really a lot of neat looking Italian cars in the 50's and 60's. For that matter, the Italian design houses did a lot of prototype and show cars for Virgil Exner.
  • Options
    I just like that they were (mostly) pretty cleanly styled, except perhaps for the busy grille. But by 59 or so Imperials were getting grotesque.
  • Options
    All too often good looking cars get tarted up as the years go by! The 57 Mopars were all beautiful, then the model years progressed :'(
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I call it birthday cake styling. They just keep sticking things on it.

I mean, look at this thing....now REALLY?

• Options
    my eyes, my eyes... B)

• Options

Mmmmm, mmmm. 1959. Line up the Cadillac, Lincoln, and Imperial for that year and you have the very definition of automotive good taste.

• Options
    edited November 2014

Mmmmm, mmmm. 1959. Line up the Cadillac, Lincoln, and Imperial for that year and you have the very definition of automotive good taste.

I've never been able to decide which were worse, the '58s or '59s.

• Options
    That 59 Imperial may have been designed by an orthodontist!
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    That grill does not fit with the smooth elegant lines of the rest of the car. Neither do the ornaments over the headlights. But then in 58 and 59 it was about bold statements...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    andys120 said:

I've never been able to decide which were worse, the '58s or '59s.

I prefer the '58 over the '59 for the Caddy and the Imperial (in the sense that I prefer a prostate exam over a root canal). With Lincoln the '58 and '59 (as well as the '60) are largely interchangeable so I don't have a strong opinion.

• Options
    I like the crests on the headlight eyebrows. Classy and subtle.

• Options
    It rather looks like something that crawled out of the swamp.
  • Options
    Here's a real beauty that proves that the American sense of style from 1958 did NOT die!

• Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

Here's a real beauty that proves that the American sense of style from 1958 did NOT die!

words.escape.me.

:o
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098

I wonder what tunes those horns play? You know it has to be a tune...
  • Options
    I think that's a later run - maybe early 90s - Zimmer. Possibly Mercury Cougar based.
    -

• Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    fintail said:

I think that's a later run - maybe early 90s - Zimmer. Possibly Mercury Cougar based.
    -

You know, I thought that middle to rear portion looked familiar, Ford familiar.
  • Options
    fintail said:

According to zimmermotorcars.com, all Zimmers have been based on the Mustang. Did the early 90's Cougar share the Mustang platform?

I thought it could have been a Clenet:

It sat on a late 70's/early 80's Town Car/Continental/Cougar frame.