Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Definitely a case study in bad planning. I am sure it is a nice enough car, but the badge (and maybe wanna-BMW styling) give it a tough row to hoe.
    ab348 said:

<

Don't know the situation in the USA, but I read this week that in Canada, Kia sold a total of 0 (as in nil) K900s in October, matching their sales performance in September.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I suspect it is a move to clear out some stock.

I don't know if this link works, but here's a K900 for $549/mo with $2999 up front - and that's before negotiation.

No doubt a subsidized lease - I bet resale is catastrophic. Maybe a used bargain.

Today I read about BMW 750 for ~$800 month - with the S class stealing the show and the F01 soon to be replaced, no doubt some inventory to move, too.
    venture said:

Probably pretty wacky. I would bet the residual is way different - unless they are throwing a bunch of money at it just to move them.

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited November 2014
    @fintail, you are right.......... badging and price

The problem with the Kia and Hyundai brand upscale vehicles K900, Cadenza, Azera, Genesis and Equus is there terrible depreciation value along with a 40 to 60k price tag. If your not running these cars into the ground you stand to lose a lot more money than other brands. These vehicles have all the nice amenities of European vehicles priced 10 to 15k more. Most buyers wont buy cause of the badge.

After driven in my golf buddies 2013 Genesis I was impressed how quiet and nice the ride really was. I bought a leftover 2013 R-spec sedan Genesis in Nov 2013. with a sticker price of 49k and a sale price of 10 k off this price was a steal. The last I looked my depreciation was down several more k this year. A vehicle like mine is better leased. I plan on selling soon or just keeping it in my garage in Myrtle beach to have something there to get around when I'm in golf mode. I have nothing but high praise for my 429 h/p Genesis with only 3k miles. Resale value is definitely bad . Maybe in time with better reliability ratings these vehicle will due better in the depreciation dept. Until then its just another bad investment for guys like us that buy new and sell often.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    2005 SLK55 AMG

Pros:
    Just fast enough(0-60: 4.3s, 1/4 mile: 12.7s at 111 mph)
    Relatively cheap
    Good looking

Cons:
    Slushbox
    Convertible
    I know next to nothing about Mercedes, good shops, and decent part sources

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    So RB, add fairly hi miles for one of these.

other than that, it ticks absolutely none of your boxes. So why are you bothering with this, instead of buying the Challenger that your wife told you to get?

and 4.3 0-60 is "just barely fast enough"? should we start calling you Big Daddy Road Burner?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Brian, I am with you on the leasing idea on one of those, If they are subsidizing, that is the way to go on a new one. Other option is letting the first owner/Hyundai take the depreciation hit, and getting it 2-3 YO as a CPO.

Though not really limited to them. I would put MB and BMW in the same class for the big/really expensive models.

• Options
    stickguy said:

So RB, add fairly hi miles for one of these.

other than that, it ticks absolutely none of your boxes. So why are you bothering with this, instead of buying the Challenger that your wife told you to get?

and 4.3 0-60 is "just barely fast enough"? should we start calling you Big Daddy Road Burner?

It's at the same dealer as the Challenger- it's just an interesting car. My wife could trade her 3er for it... ;)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    The SRT8 is no longer a player- it was advertised as having the SRT Option Group II, which gets you a 522 watt 13 speaker Kicker audio system. When I looked at it today it it was obvious that the car didn't have that package- I ended up walking away without even a test drive.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,436
    You guys will be proud of me. 2 straight weeks of not running the Legacy all the way down;). Last week I filled up at 420.7 miles & today I filled up at 363.3 miles. The 25.6 mpg isn't anything to write home about, but RUG at $2.959 per gallon and a fill up of a little over $42 is impressive.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    If you're relatively tall, sit in it with the top up before moving forward.

<
    It's at the same dealer as the Challenger- it's just an interesting car. My wife could trade her 3er for it... ;)

• Options
    Those R-spec models are probably Hyunkia's most convincing attempt at a fully premium car. The base models seem to get mixed reviews, and the K9/Equus have more than a few complaints about corners being cut. Cars to lease or buy used, so far. The mainstream models are a lot more sensible, but that goes for cars in general, too.

I think it is executive hubris, some suits being so proud of how far the brands have evolved, that they aimed too high. If bigger players, ones with more brand equity, had to make new brands to play in the premium and above markets, one would be insane to not have Hyundai follow suit. I doubt if Lexus products were branded and sold as Toyotas, at even nice Toyota dealerships, that they'd have the same cachet or sales.
    brian125 said:

Maybe in time with better reliability ratings these vehicle will due better in the depreciation dept. Until then its just another bad investment for guys like us that buy new and sell often.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Interesting about the Equus. Only thing I'll add, take the Hyundai to a dealer and see what the offer for it?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    I'll be stunned if a 5 year old Equus actually trades at 26K in the real world.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm not sure that comparison is quite fair to the Equus, because at that MSRP I think it comes more fully gadgeted than the E Class Benz for instance, which can easily be run up to 75K. You know the Germans---their option checklist is longer than your arm.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,226

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited November 2014
    My neighbor traded a 2011 Sonata limited with 24k miles back to the dealer. Hyundai offered 14.5k................... she paid 26k new excluding taxes and tags. 2 yrs earlier.

When I bought my Genesis the general manager was boasting how good I did on my sale. When I told him in 3 or 4 yrs when I'm selling it back to you or private is where I'm getting it in the tail pipe. He laughed and said to me................. I hope I have the opportunity.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited November 2014

I'm not sure that comparison is quite fair to the Equus, because at that MSRP I think it comes more fully gadgeted than the E Class Benz for instance, which can easily be run up to 75K. You know the Germans---their option checklist is longer than your arm.

That, plus the fact that the new Hyundais and Kias are usually heavily discounted... but depreciation is based on msrp. Also most new car msrps are wildly inflated right now so that can also distort depreciation.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    edited November 2014
    From my experience, virtually no new non-AMG E-class sedans are optioned past 70K. I looked over a lot of inventory within the past week, and probably half of it had MSRP 60K or less - and if you can't get 10% off, you aren't trying. The typical lease special E-class seems to sticker around 55-57K.

You can theoretically load one up to 80K, but it would probably require a special order.

Regarding Equus, it might have a saving grace - livery service demand. It's really the perfect town car, comfy and somewhat posh, but anonymous. I've seen one even here with livery plates. Demand for used ones might exist for that service. For my own use, I'd pick the K9 over it simply based on design. The suddenly-it's-2007 parallel universe Lexus LS look of the Hyundai doesn't warm my cold heart, I'd rather have the parallel universe BMW.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    We have a decision it seems...looks like it's going to be the 3 I Touring. Looking to go try and make a deal the day before Thanksgiving but just not sure where to start. They are offering $2.5 k on her '05 3s so now I just need to decide what the true invoice is plus what other rebates they have. There should be some loyalty money since we are trading in a Mazda. Any help would be appreciated here. But, if this doesn't work out, then we'll revisit the Rio which is at the same dealer group.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

We have a decision it seems...looks like it's going to be the 3 I Touring. Looking to go try and make a deal the day before Thanksgiving but just not sure where to start. They are offering $2.5 k on her '05 3s so now I just need to decide what the true invoice is plus what other rebates they have. There should be some loyalty money since we are trading in a Mazda. Any help would be appreciated here. But, if this doesn't work out, then we'll revisit the Rio which is at the same dealer group.

Around 17K for the sedan and 18K for the hatch. 2014
  • Options
    you don't want a 2014 3. the 2015 is where they added the good safety stuff standard.

at least based on Edmunds, invoice is just over 20K off of a 21.5K MSRP on a i touring without the moonroof package.

at this point, after all the searching, are you looking to go on a grinding spree, or walk over a few $100 on a car she will have for 10 years?

I have no clue if Mazda is offering a loyalty bonus, so you could just subtract that too. And if they happened to add a rebate (I am not aware of one) take that off, but my offer if I had gone with the 3i base touring was a flat 20K.

In your case, I think you will have a wonderful car on a solid deal if you just walk in, say there is the old car, which we will give you plus a check for $17,500 + TTL. You will be OTD for less than 20K, and have a car with AC that works.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Mr_Shiftright said:

You are correct. Last time I built a 2015 E400 on Edmunds with a lot of the amenity's that's in a Equus but not all................ the price tag was closer to 80k. for a E400 MB

The 2015 E350's MSRP's .......... are starting at 54k with barley anything that's in a Equus.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited November 2014
    I decided to try that out, and priced an E400 4Matic with options but not going hog wild by any means, and I ran it up to $76,000 MSRP. Since this car is a hot ticket at the moment, let's say I could get it for around $72K-73K.

Not cheap!

I could have hit $80K on the options list.
    fintail said:

From my experience, virtually no new non-AMG E-class sedans are optioned past 70K. I looked over a lot of inventory within the past week, and probably half of it had MSRP 60K or less - and if you can't get 10% off, you aren't trying. The typical lease special E-class seems to sticker around 55-57K.

You can theoretically load one up to 80K, but it would probably require a special order.

Regarding Equus, it might have a saving grace - livery service demand. It's really the perfect town car, comfy and somewhat posh, but anonymous. I've seen one even here with livery plates. Demand for used ones might exist for that service. For my own use, I'd pick the K9 over it simply based on design. The suddenly-it's-2007 parallel universe Lexus LS look of the Hyundai doesn't warm my cold heart, I'd rather have the parallel universe BMW.

• Options
    Wife told me that right now, we're at $18.2k cash plus the keys to our '05...and maybe a little bit better if she can. Not sure if this will fly by her g m but doesn't seem half bad if true. She likes the silver color, a shade or two darker than what she has now and what I have. So thinking this just could fly...I believe both sides should get a fair deal and we still want pin stripes and door edge guards with wheel well protectors like our current 3. Think she's a bit relieved that she finally made a decision, now we have to finalize the deal next week or possibly this week depending on her work schedule. I am happy with either vehicle to be honest but the Mazda is a better vehicle.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited November 2014
    does that include taxes/fees or just the car? If you sounds like a really good deal! And not a bad one if it is just the base car cost.

• Options
    She said it's the out the door price for the '15 Mazda3 I Touring, which I think ain't to bad to be honest with ya! If so, think we're going to jump on it next week, probably Wednesday and have a late Friday or Saturday pick up since I'm off that day whereas Friday is a busy busy day for us. I will drive and inspect the outside of the vehicle and then go into finance with her on Wednesday and take Thursday to clean out the crap she has in the old one. Have already alerted my insurance guy that we're going to do this soon and all he needs is a vin number and we're good to go. The time has come to do this and even though we did discuss, briefly, fixing the a/c and running it another 6 months, she said the brakes aren't working right and I just said enough already! We're done here!
    If her schedule lightens up this week, we might just go over there this Wednesday and get 'er done but if not, next week is looking good. I do prefer the darker gray color but she's saying it's too dark and when I see it up close I will agree. But it is her vehicle so we'll get what she wants...just happy I got her to commit to something!

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319

She said it's the out the door price for the '15 Mazda3 I Touring, which I think ain't to bad to be honest with ya! If so, think we're going to jump on it next week, probably Wednesday and have a late Friday or Saturday pick up since I'm off that day whereas Friday is a busy busy day for us. I will drive and inspect the outside of the vehicle and then go into finance with her on Wednesday and take Thursday to clean out the crap she has in the old one. Have already alerted my insurance guy that we're going to do this soon and all he needs is a vin number and we're good to go. The time has come to do this and even though we did discuss, briefly, fixing the a/c and running it another 6 months, she said the brakes aren't working right and I just said enough already! We're done here!
    If her schedule lightens up this week, we might just go over there this Wednesday and get 'er done but if not, next week is looking good. I do prefer the darker gray color but she's saying it's too dark and when I see it up close I will agree. But it is her vehicle so we'll get what she wants...just happy I got her to commit to something!

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your impending purchase!

Like stick, the only down side is that you're out of the market, so no more looking / thinking / buying stories for the time being.

Who's next? breld, you've been awfully quiet lately. I know you've been looking, any chance you'll pull the trigger soon?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    A pending punch in the Sandy House? That would make 2 in 2 years! Let us know how things go.

The one question I have is: WHY WAIT? I know your wife is hell bent on her target price, but for the amount of time she keeps a car, does it really matter if she waits until the last minute to grind the cheapest deal because it will be the day before thanksgiving? Maybe the Mazda dealership will have a "Black Friday" sales event that gives the 1st 10 people who buy a car a $150 gift card to Wal Mart. Maybe they'll give out a free turkey dinner for 6 from Boston Market if you buy a car on Thanksgiving.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Sandman...nice job on a cool car!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Michaell said:

Like stick, the only down side is that you're out of the market, so no more looking / thinking / buying stories for the time being.

At least Sandy gets paid to drive different cars all week. :)

• Options
    Sandy, if that is OTD it us a very strong price. I agree just go do it tonight before something goes wrong on the old one! It takes what, an hour or 2 if you already have the deal lined up. Get a box to pile the crap in and get over there.

On that car, the gray is nit bad but I love the blues, especially the dark crystal blue.

• Options
    I took another step on recovery. I finally replaced the wiper blades on the RDX. Yes they were original. And past their lifespan. Wife should appreciate that I hope.

Still nervous I made a bad call keeping the Volvo to send down south with the princess and getting myself something fancy. At some point that is going to bite me in the butt. Should have learned lesson after trying to maintain the TL long distance . Oh well. Too late now. I ain't sending the new one with her.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    stickguy said:

I took another step on recovery. I finally replaced the wiper blades on the RDX. Yes they were original. And past their lifespan. Wife should appreciate that I hope.

Still nervous I made a bad call keeping the Volvo to send down south with the princess and getting myself something fancy. At some point that is going to bite me in the butt. Should have learned lesson after trying to maintain the TL long distance . Oh well. Too late now. I ain't sending the new one with her.

stick, you've taken good care of the Volvo, right? You just made a major investment in the suspension, which, as I understand it, was the part of the car that needed the most attention.

What's the worst that could happen? Nothing mechanical, I should think - I'd be more worried about an accident and having to deal with insurance and repairs from a distance.

Relax - you've dealt the cards, now play the hand.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Michaell said:

Who's next? breld, you've been awfully quiet lately. I know you've been looking, any chance you'll pull the trigger soon?

Yeah, I've been having a little bit of an itch and have been looking, but I'll wait at least until next year, just to keep our count for this year on a decrease from prior years (a mere 4 punches this year! :))

My current curiosity is perhaps an SUV to replace the Odyssey. We will have had it for 3 years this February, and it's at 85k miles. Can't say there's really anything wrong with it, but wouldn't mind updating it. We've strongly considered a new model Odyssey, but the thought of switching back to an SUV sounds fun too.

Dodge Durango seems to be a front-runner right now if we went that way. Poked around a couple of them on Saturday - 3rd row seats do appear comfortable (at 6' 3", I didn't bother to try it out personally), and you seem to get a lot of cool features for the money. Of course, still need to get one out for a drive, but it looks promising. They had some low mileage 2014 Limited models for low $30k's - and I suspect there would be room there. If next year we could score something like that for mid-$20k's, it'd be tempting. I haven't had a domestic make car since my 1985 Chrysler Laser!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I thought I read recently that this year is the last for the Durango.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Don't recall hearing that although it'd make sense for Dodge to send it over to Ram. Chrysler is dropping the Avenger and Grand Caravan for sure. (Detroit News)
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Looks like you're right:

As a part of Fiat’s big shakeup, the Dodge Durango is being showed the door for the 2016 model year, making the 2015 model the last, at least for now. This decision comes despite a fairly recent overhaul, which made the Durango more desirable than ever. Fortune magazine theorizes that the car could be spun into a future three-row, seven-passenger Jeep model, as the brand has been carrying much of the Chrysler Group’s growth weight, alongside Ram, while the Dodge brand has been stumbling.

Read more: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/automobiles/18-vehicles-that-we-wont-see-after-2015.html/?a=viewall#ixzz3JLW6qret

Not sure if that bothers me too much - and may cause an increase in depreciation, which bodes well for a used car buyer like myself. Since most of the platform and engine is shared with current products, like the Grand Cherokee, I don't suspect it will be challenging to get ongoing maintenance and support.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    edited November 2014
    heh, better researching than me @breld. The stuff I found said that they just did a very mild refresh last year and switched to an 8 speed transmission.
  • Options
    Michael, I don't relax on this stuff! The safety stuff is fine (tires, brakes, suspension) but that is not really stuff where you get catastrophic sudden failure!

I worry more about normal old car mechanical stuff. Throwing codes, sensor failure. Coil packs, alternator, stuff that can fail.

I will need to make contact with a Local Garage I found near campus so they gave us on file where I can send her if anything pops up, or I want things checked before she is going to take a longer trip.

I am still shell shocked from having the TL towed 3 times the last year my son had it at school. Thanks to a coil pack and alternator!

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    edited November 2014
    @stick...what I know about working on and maintaining a Volvo you can fit in a thimble and still have room to spare but I would think a good preventative maintenance could be handled relatively cheaply and by you even if you are like me and have the most basic mechanical skills.

Off the top of my head...fuel filter, fuel pump, full fluid change, o2 sensor could provide a little more peace of mind without breaking the bank. Could probably get the alternator tested and make sure it is up to snuff. If you really wanted to go whole hog you could go ahead and do stuff like the water pump and coil packs but that could get pricey and is certainly beyond my mechanical ability.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    stickguy said:

Michael, I don't relax on this stuff! The safety stuff is fine (tires, brakes, suspension) but that is not really stuff where you get catastrophic sudden failure!

I worry more about normal old car mechanical stuff. Throwing codes, sensor failure. Coil packs, alternator, stuff that can fail.

I will need to make contact with a Local Garage I found near campus so they gave us on file where I can send her if anything pops up, or I want things checked before she is going to take a longer trip.

I am still shell shocked from having the TL towed 3 times the last year my son had it at school. Thanks to a coil pack and alternator!

The good news is that if the Volvo dies, you can give her the Sonata and buy yourself that Mercedes you've always wanted !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Can't drive it in prison after I get caught holding up liquor stores to pay for it! Plus too nice a car to give her.

If the Volvo dies it is either something a but less used, or a lease on a strippo Camry or some such appliance.

• Options
    I'm not into replacing perfectly good parts, but certainly stuff like fluids gets done preventively. I am also not doing that stuff myself at thus point. At least it is a pretty simple car.

• Options
    houdini1 said:

stickguy said:

The good news is that if the Volvo dies, you can give her the Sonata and buy yourself that Mercedes you've always wanted !!

I like the way you think!

• Options
    stickguy said:

Can't drive it in prison after I get caught holding up liquor stores to pay for it! Plus too nice a car to give her.

If the Volvo dies it is either something a but less used, or a lease on a strippo Camry or some such appliance.

Yes, but you could arrive at prison in style !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    I do look good in Orange...

• Options
    stickguy said:

I'm on my way to recovery as well. After punching the card in '07 (X3), 08 (E30 325i), 09 (TSX), 11 (Pilot), 12 (328xi), & '14 (Legacy) I think I'm done. We've cut down the yearly mileage on the Pilot and only have about a year & a half to pay it off. And I just got the Legacy, so the next punch will most likely come once the Pilot is paid off and I start doubling up on Legacy payments. My wife likes driving a car so much better than her truck.

• Options
    Unless the college car has to be replaced I am out if the market until late summer 2017! Stuck in the new lease, and the RDX is here for the long haul. Though might become the spare car after next purchase.

That might be enough time to recover from the financial hit.

• Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    stickguy said:

Unless the college car has to be replaced I am out if the market until late summer 2017! Stuck in the new lease, and the RDX is here for the long haul. Though might become the spare car after next purchase.

That might be enough time to recover from the financial hit.

I know how you feel. Our stable has a new 2014 Passat TDI and a 2014 C-Max Energi. It will be a while before I get back into looking. I'll have one in college next year as well, she is getting our 2002 Civic EX. 130K, but still driving well.