Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited November 2014
    Nope, not a Zimmer or a Clenet, but of course in that GENRE. All I can tell you is that it was produced in the 1980s in Florida (where else?) on a Mercury Cougar chassis, it is not a one-off and someone paid $85,000 for it (back then).

I saw one listed for sale in Dallas for $18,500. Im thinkin' $12K is all the money.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    I'm trying to remember the name of one of those types of cars from the '80s that, IIRC, someone had in an '80s TV show. Was about to say Miami Vice, but now I'm thinking maybe it was on the A-team. Maybe someone knows the answer before I go look it up.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

Nope, not a Zimmer or a Clenet, but of course in that GENRE. All I can tell you is that it was produced in the 1980s in Florida (where else?) on a Mercury Cougar chassis, it is not a one-off and someone paid $85,000 for it (back then).

I saw one listed for sale in Dallas for $18,500. Im thinkin' $12K is all the money.

All right I had to cheat and do a google search. Can I give a light blue hint?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Some mysteries are better left unsolved. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Then it must be a Tiffany.

That Clenet is awesome in comparison. Excaliburs are interesting in their own way, too.

edited November 2014
    Yes, a TIFFANY.

And no, that's not what Cruella de Vil drove in 101 Dalmatians. That's another mystery car.

Panther Deville. Even Blighty got caught up in the neoclassic thing.

Yes, a TIFFANY.

And no, that's not what Cruella de Vil drove in 101 Dalmatians. That's another mystery car.

fintail said:

Panther Deville. Even Blighty got caught up in the neoclassic thing.

There was one of those in the classic piece of cinema "Mother, Juggs & Speed."

I know more of these "neo classics" but I'll stop torturing you. Or would you like to see one built on a VW convertible chassis?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Someone in the last place I lived had one of those "VW MGs". Lots of leather straps all over it.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    there is one that must live close to me. I see it around on occasion. I think it even spent some time being driven to the local HS. Odd little thing pretending to be a TD.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786

Yes, a TIFFANY.

G'day

Amongst the really silly things that I remember, the Panther DeVille's doors came from an Austin 1800. I wonder if they kept the wonderfully commodious door pockets!

Cheers

Graham
    fintail said:

Then it must be a Tiffany.

That Clenet is awesome in comparison. Excaliburs are interesting in their own way, too.

Well, nobody took a shot at my '80s TV show question, but Excalibur is exactly the name I was looking for!

Still can't figure out the show I remember it from, though. It was white, IIRC. Still think it was A-team, but every search turns up the Corvette Face drove.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

Well, nobody took a shot at my '80s TV show question, but Excalibur is exactly the name I was looking for!

Still can't figure out the show I remember it from, though. It was white, IIRC. Still think it was A-team, but every search turns up the Corvette Face drove.

Here is a link to Excaliburs at the Internet Movie Car Database: http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=excalibur&model=
    thanks for the link.

Interesting. Now that has me thinking I may have been recalling Major League. But I thought I was much younger when I first saw the car. (would have been 16 when that movie came out)

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    Not Retro>

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

A real mystery car that needs to be id'd.
    andys120 said:

Not Retro>

G'day

Looks almost, but not quite like a Monteverdi and the background looks like Riviera. I wonder if it is a Frua design.

Cheers

Graham
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    I saw the article, so I won't 'guess'. But Graham's right about the designer, I think.
    G'day

Just zoomed in to the hubcaps which look to have the BMW logo. Its 2:00am here so I am not getting up to search books.

Cheers

Graham
    Frua did a concept car very much like this one called a 2002 coupe, in 1969, but it's not *quite* the same as the one in the photo.
    edited November 2014
    You guys are on the right track. Frua used the same design over and over so it's hard to tell just what it is. Grahams catch of BMW logos on the hubcaps is the crucial "tell". This is a mid 60s BMW-Glass 3000 V8 which was a re-body of a (Vignale bodied?) coupe sold in small numbers about the time Glas was absorbed by BMW.

looks like an easter egg.

Where's my sledgehammer?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,029
    Looks like a Fiat.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Euro, but not Italian.
    edited November 2014
    stever said:

G'day

Possibly not the best colour, because I can tell you, they looked really cute when released. It is a Renault Twingo from about 1993-1998 (although the model ran for about 15 years with minimal changes). They were a really clever city car, long before the likes of the Honda Jazz.

I can remember being blown away by how innovative (and cute) it looked when first sighted in Paris in 1993. The were tamed down a little with a refresh shortly before we left England in 1999. I don't think they were made in Right Hand Drive but were very popular in France and Switzerland

There were elements of interior packaging which reminded me of the 1960's Renault 16. The rear seats could be slid fore and aft to increase boot space or rear leg room.

Cheers

Graham
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,241
    I concur. It's a cute looking car. I like the color too!
    edited November 2014
    Very good - the real mystery is how this Twingo wound up for sale in Alamogordo New Mexico. German title. NATO or Export only. (craigslist ad)

(NM has its share of rocket scientists but Holloman AFB is in Alamogordo, and they have a German Air Force Flying Training center there. I like the car, but maybe the ultimate mystery is why the airman shipped it over instead of a VW or Porsche).
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,029
    stever said:

Very good - the real mystery is how this Twingo wound up for sale in Alamogordo New Mexico. German title. NATO or Export only. (craigslist ad)

(NM has its share of rocket scientists but Holloman AFB is in Alamogordo, and they have a German Air Force Flying Training center there. I like the car, but maybe the ultimate mystery is why the airman shipped it over instead of a VW or Porsche).

There aren't any instruments on the dashboard? Unless they are in that tiny little slot at the top.

Be the only one on your block with a Twingo! Where would you get it serviced?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited November 2014
    Service could be tough - it's an 11 hour tow to Paris from here.
    Weird, cost more to ship it over than it's worth. Must have been one of the perks of that industry, "free" car shipping. Maybe it would sell in Mexico, not too far away.

It'll be legal in Murka in 4 years, thanks to the idiotic 25 year rule, which exists nowhere else in the developed world.
    stever said:

Surely there's at least one masochist in New Mexico who'll buy it for the exquisite torment it will deliver.
    G'day

The dashboard was one of its features; centrally mounted which I imagined would translate to an easy conversion from lhd to rhd. I think there were warning light in front of the steering wheel.

The latest Twingo shares a platform with the next Smart For Four, with a 900cc turbo under the rear floor driving the rear wheels.

Cheers

Graham
    Ah, one of my favorite little cars. That's an early one.
    the nose reminds me of a Crosley.

Yep, a 1948 Crosley Sedan. I think I may have posted the guy's ad for his other two before. This one is going for $3500.00
    Since we're thinking small>

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Ford non 'EL' Expedition. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    andys120 said:

2nd generation Honda CR-X. About 1991?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Honda CRX.
    andys120 said:

G'day

Late 1980s or early 90 Honda CRX. A friend in the UK is still regretting he gave his up (he also bemoans selling his 1980s VW Scirocco).

I think red was definitely the best colour.

Cheers

Graham

Yup, it's a 1989 Honda Civic CRX Si

Lincoln?>

andys120 said:

Lincoln?>

G'day

I'm on a roll, here!. Facel Vega from about 1960. Fascinating how influential US styling was for the French, around that era.

Cheers

Graham
    Yup, a 1959 Face-Vega Excellence AFAIK their only four-door model and heavily influenced by American styling as you said.

Under the hood was a Mopar Hemi 392 CID V8.

Somewhere in the Alps (I think this is Arlberg/Austria), early 60s - something here is unlike the others:

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,241
    Do you mean the Tbird?