Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota replacement cv boots

fonejacfonejac Member Posts: 2
edited November 2014 in Toyota
Has anyone tried or found the "Toyota Split CV Boot" replacements in the USA. I found them on the Australian Toyota Parts site. They are a Genuine Toyota Part and do not require removing the axle to replace damaged cv boots, I have not found the here in the US. https://toyota.com.au/owners/parts/brakes-suspension-steering/split-boot-kits
Tagged:

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I used a split boot umpteen years ago with no issues (might have been on my '82 Tercel but don't remember). Anyway the trick is to do the boot "early" - if you wait until there's a tear, then you risk putting the boot over dirt and moisture.

The last boot I did was using an axle kit from Raxles and it worked fine for around a decade when I finally sold that van.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It is often easier, and no more expensive, to just buy a rebuilt axle, complete with CV joints and boots, and just bolt it in. You will save a lot of labor and you'd be surprised how inexpensive these "axle kits" can be.

If you do the boot, you'll have to completely clean and inspect the CV joint prior to installation if you want to do the job right. If you're strapped for cash, then yeah, you can just slap on a split-boot, but think of it as a "patch" for the time being.

Not a bad solution if you're doing your own work.
  • fonejacfonejac Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    I was specifically referring to the " Genuine Toyota Parts Split Boot" that is available in Australia and was trying to find it in the US. Mine is just beginning to show a trace of grease... no visible splits.... 65k miles
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh I see. No I couldn't find anything for you, sorry. Normally I do not recommend using split boot kits as they don't seem to last very long and are really a "patch" for an emergency (used one once on my Saab and it did get me home, but not much past that---they seem to leak).

There are other companies that make these kits--just nothing I can see from Toyota.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I agree with Mr. S.

Changing that boot is a filthy, nasty job and who knows what the condition of the CV joint is.

I put a split boot on an old Volkswagen once. It had about a dozen little nuts and bolts and I had to lay on my back for an hour. I guess it worked out OK but I sold the car shortly thereafter.