Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

There are some people who think that a car that has been involved in a collision and properly repaired is somehow, forever tainted and worth much less than a car that has never been damaged. Most modern body shops do a great job of restoring a car to like new condition.

You are suggesting that this repair has devalued the car by thousands of dollars. Perhaps if it were something exotic that could be the case but this car is a CIVIC!

It is a very low mileage, very desirable car and if the person leasing it has taken care of it it would be a great deal if bought it it's residual.

On the other hand, the lessor could start fresh with a new one and hope nobody runs into it too.

I learned that an ACCIDENT REPORTED on a Car Fax will scare away some shoppers but there are many others who would look the car over carefully and not be bothered by that.

Not all accidents show up on Car Fax and a damaged rear view mirror can show up as an ACCIDENT REPORTED!

well, i think we should all know by now that I'm not a pro in the biz. I just try to interpret the data as best I can. Do I think a car with damage history is worth less than one with no damage history? Absolutely. I know I would never pay the same for 2 cars that are exactly the same in every other way except one was hit and one wasn't. It just doesn't make sense that anybody would.

People much smarter than me in this field have said a repair job can NEVER match the factory paint job. Its impossible. And I would have to agree that it stands to reason.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited November 2014
    qbrozen said:

so you have a cash offer from a dealer for more $3k more than any other has sold for at dealer auction? If you want out of the car, I would JUMP at that!

@qbrozen‌

Thanks for the insight.

I'm in no rush selling the Genesis. I may keep it for years haven't decided yet . End of the year time is where monster deals are had. I'm always looking weighing all the factors. The above dealer I mentioned may very well have upped the trade value due to the 80k price on the Audi.

My figures on this vehicle have me in the 30k plus price range trade or sell as of today. And that's only if I could get it.

keep you posted on the outcome

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I agree! Take that money and run like a thief in the night!

A lot of those "standing offers" aren't real. "Something" usually changes!
  • 100chuck100chuck Member Posts: 149
    qbrozen said:

There are some people who think that a car that has been involved in a collision and properly repaired is somehow, forever tainted and worth much less than a car that has never been damaged. Most modern body shops do a great job of restoring a car to like new condition.

You are suggesting that this repair has devalued the car by thousands of dollars. Perhaps if it were something exotic that could be the case but this car is a CIVIC!

It is a very low mileage, very desirable car and if the person leasing it has taken care of it it would be a great deal if bought it it's residual.

On the other hand, the lessor could start fresh with a new one and hope nobody runs into it too.

I learned that an ACCIDENT REPORTED on a Car Fax will scare away some shoppers but there are many others who would look the car over carefully and not be bothered by that.

Not all accidents show up on Car Fax and a damaged rear view mirror can show up as an ACCIDENT REPORTED!

well, i think we should all know by now that I'm not a pro in the biz. I just try to interpret the data as best I can. Do I think a car with damage history is worth less than one with no damage history? Absolutely. I know I would never pay the same for 2 cars that are exactly the same in every other way except one was hit and one wasn't. It just doesn't make sense that anybody would.

People much smarter than me in this field have said a repair job can NEVER match the factory paint job. Its impossible. And I would have to agree that it stands to reason.
    I hit a deer last Wednesday in my 2010 Taurus SHO, everything on the front end needs to be replace, the hood, passenger side fender and the windshield. The car was in excellent condition with 39,000 miles and I made my last payment on Monday. I'm sure the value is going to take a big hit!!!!!
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited November 2014
    My wife's last Suv was in 2 accidents. 1st accident was the killer with only 20k miles . The airbag deployed and damages of 14k to the front end was the demise of this vehicles credibility and value. Never the same. When I tried to trade it back to dealers the Carfax was what each dealer bought up for the lower value. I wound up selling the vehicle privately but I made sure the buyer was aware of the accidents and made him take vehicle to his own mechanic before we proceeded with the sale. I took at hit on this vehicle for sure.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• suave3747suave3747 Member Posts: 4
    qbrozen said:

suave3747 said:

Could anyone provide insight on what kind of value to expect for a Grey 2004 Honda Civic LX Sedan with 61,000 miles in the Pennsylvania area?

No accidents, maintenance up to date, a couple small dings/scrapes on the fenders, but otherwise in great shape. Tires still have decent life as well.

manual or auto?
    It's an auto.
    well, one just like yours sold for $6200 at manheim in PA 3 days ago for $6200. That was, however, the single highest price for an '04 Civic LX. A dealer is probably going to feel safe at around $4500 trade value. Personally, I'd be selling this myself. $8k on craigs and watch it drive down the road inside of a week.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It's very hard to determine the so called Diminished Value of an accident is.

A lot has to do with the age and value of the car. The older and less valuable the car is the fewer people are really going to care. On a late model high value car, yes, it can make a big difference but, again, it's hard to say just how much.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Not sure where to post this but looking for some feedback. Middle son is finally ready to say goodbye to his '98 LeSabre. We went looking for a used vehicle to replace it. He is a big guy -- 6'3". He sat in a Chevy Malibu and it was tight fit. Impala seemed the better size. A car to him is a basic appliance for getting around. Compared to the old LeSabre-- a very floaty vehicle--even the 2012-2013 Impala handles quite well and the V6 has plenty of power. Any ideas about a fair price for an LT in Alabama as that's where he will probably get one. There appear to be a lot of them around. Anything we should know about problems with this model to have checked out?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited November 2014
    We'd have to know the year and any special options.
    Looking at 2012 or 2013. Probably LT trim but no special options, thanks!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    hmmm... not seeing 2013s in Alabama, but those in NC/TX/FL are roundabout $10k-$11k for 30k'ish miles at the block. Figure around $13k fair retail. Going a year older and 10k-15k more miles will only save you about $1k, so I'd stick with the 2013.

Thanks!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Repost... pretty please?

2013 Chevy Cruze 1LT 30k miles. All LTs have the 1.4 turbo.
    silver over black cloth, 6MT -- though there won't be many comparables.
    I'm giving it back, but I'm really interested in how this sled held its value.

Nice car, for what it's worth.
    Thanks in advance,
    -Mathias
    roughly the $9k zip code at auction, so probably in that $8k range as a trade given the transmission troubles. :p

seriously, though, the stick only seems to be about a $500 hit, if that, which ain't so bad.

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    qbrozen said:

roughly the $9k zip code at auction, so probably in that $8k range as a trade given the transmission troubles. :p

Ouch. Considering the residual value after two years/30k is fixed at $13, it appears Ally is going to take a bit of a hit here...

Heck, for under $10 it'd be even worth considering. But since my darling daughter is going to be 16 next year, we'll try it with three drivers and two cars for a while. After all, I'm much more flexible with my own transportation when I won't be called upon to chauffeur her around...

No point living in town when you drive everywhere.

Thanks for the information, qb!
    -Mathias

• jeffg7jeffg7 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6 with 81000 miles on it. It has 2-tone leather, sunroof, and 6 CD MP3. The trade in and real world values are coming up at $9,200 and $10,700 respectively.

Is that accurate or should it be different?
    not really close there. More like $7500-$8k trade. What is that $10,700 number? That would be kinda fair on the retail side. Private party would be more like $9500.

I got both of those numbers from KBB and Edmunds website tools.
    Sorry for the double post, but in my original post, I meant to say trade in and private party...not trade in and "real world".
  • beechmanbeechman Member Posts: 36
    Hello all, hoping to get a Manheim/trade/private value for my 2012 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD, in Phoenix, Arizona.

Mileage is 33k
    Sandy Beach Metallic (gold/beige), tan leather
    No accidents, damage or noticeable wear inside or out; CarFax is clean.
    New tires at 27k

Limited version is basically loaded, also has the Nav/JBL stereo pkg, and trailer towing prep pkg. Original MSRP was 40755, I'm the 2nd owner.

Thanks for your help!
  • smitty303smitty303 Member Posts: 11
    I was looking at a 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5s special edition here in Denver with 22,000 miles. Any idea of the wholesale value?
    highlander = $27k-$27.5k.

Altima = I'm just going to assume it is a sedan with automatic in a non-offensive color. Wholesale is in the $11k range. Auction value in the $12k zip code. Fair dealer retail at about $15k.

• suave3747suave3747 Member Posts: 4
    qbrozen said:

well, one just like yours sold for $6200 at manheim in PA 3 days ago for $6200. That was, however, the single highest price for an '04 Civic LX. A dealer is probably going to feel safe at around $4500 trade value. Personally, I'd be selling this myself. $8k on craigs and watch it drive down the road inside of a week.

I ended up negotiating it at $5000 as a trade on a 15 Legacy. Thank you so much for the help!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Trading the '05 Mazda3s tomorrow for a '15 Audi A3 and they are giving us $2500 for it. 136.5k, a/t light coming and going, no a/c and numerous hail dents and a dented in front left fender. Think we were lucky to get what we got actually but to get to our bottom line, they showed an over allowance. Great vehicle until this last year and having the prepaid maintenance plan for the first 50k miles helped it stay on the road for so long. With those miles, just didn't feel like throwing money at the a/c issue or finding out what the a/t issue was. Was also going to need rear brakes soon so we decided to cut and run here. great vehicle for some kid who likes them and was willing to throw some money into it but we just didn't want to take the time to sell it ourselves.
    We will miss "the silver bullet"!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Q, need your help here. Been lusting over the Lexus 200 CTh for awhile now and found a few units from 2012 through 2014 that I am considering but need a number on the '14 Tucson. Here goes:

'14 Hyundai Tucson SE, Silver over black with leather inserts;
    15.6k on the clock;
    Sneakers look almost new;
    South Florida;
    Slight paint issue on back bumper from garage kiss the other night;

Hyundai store started at $15.8k but eventually got to $17k if I bought their unit. Am amazed at the steep depreciation but it is a Hyundai but still, really is a nice vehicle. So what says the guru here? The CT's I've seen at the Lexus store are all cpo units with better asking prices depending on the year.

Am I crazy here??? Wife loves her '15 Audi A3 and I've yet to get any appreciable seat time yet but wow, it is spectacular!!! Thanks sir.

The Crazy Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,058

Q, need your help here. Been lusting over the Lexus 200 CTh for awhile now and found a few units from 2012 through 2014 that I am considering but need a number on the '14 Tucson. Here goes:

'14 Hyundai Tucson SE, Silver over black with leather inserts;
    15.6k on the clock;
    Sneakers look almost new;
    South Florida;
    Slight paint issue on back bumper from garage kiss the other night;

Hyundai store started at $15.8k but eventually got to $17k if I bought their unit. Am amazed at the steep depreciation but it is a Hyundai but still, really is a nice vehicle. So what says the guru here? The CT's I've seen at the Lexus store are all cpo units with better asking prices depending on the year.

Am I crazy here??? Wife loves her '15 Audi A3 and I've yet to get any appreciable seat time yet but wow, it is spectacular!!! Thanks sir.

The Crazy Sandman :)B)

I'll let q give you a quote, but I doubt you'll get any more than what you're being offered at the Hyundai store.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

that's still low for AWD. Should be a grand higher. Its strong money for FWD. That would be more like a $16k trade normally.

"Lusting after a CT200" huh? I guess anything is possible. ;b

A super low mileage 2013 should set you back something like $26-27k, yeah? $10k plus taxes and fees and your car seems quite possible.

I have a FWD Tucson and the Lexus store had '12's and '13's around the $29.5k price. They were at $15,400 on mine and figured otd, $15k plus mine give or take. Thought they lowballed my trade but seems like their prices were just about where the Hyundai store was on their unit. $26-$27 just isn't doable right now. Since I don't "love it", think I'm going to stay the course right now and wait and see what the new Honda small cuv looks like when it comes out next year...from pics I've seen, looks more of what would work for me actually.
    Didn't realize that Hyundai/Kia products depreciate so much in a year but I did get a vehicle with a high feature content for reasonable money so really can't complain. And the Tucson does drive nicely, just don't love it. Thinking I might just "love" the new Honda more in a couple of years. I do like the cuv style of vehicle with the added room and slide in and out ability. Prudent to just do nothing right now methinks!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,434
    no reason to rush. There will always be CTs floating around if you want one. Plus, as you figured out, by waiting you get to keep shopping!

that little Honda does sound interesting. If I was in the market still that would have been on my check-out list. Hopefully they have one you can get into at the Philly auto show at the end of January.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• felinos11felinos11 Member Posts: 30
    2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe x AWD; $29,991; Mileage: 29,388
    what do you guys think? Chicago area. Is there room for negotiation? should I talk directly to fleet manager? Any opinions are appreciated! thanks
    Infiniti dealer or not? CPO? Color combo? Any major options? Any accident history you yet know of?

qbrozen said:

Infiniti dealer or not? CPO? Color combo? Any major options? Any accident history you yet know of?

Infiniti dealer. black/black. clean carfax. Premium package. 1 owner.
    OK, looks like they actually bought that one at a NJ auction back on Nov 19th for $24k even.

You didn't say if its CPO. $30k is definitely high. If CPO, new tires, plenty of pad left on those brakes, etc, I'd be shooting for $28k... maybe $28.5k. Knock off $1k if it lacks CPO, and start knocking off for any maintenance needs it has.

• blungeblunge Member Posts: 9
    Hi All,
    Just trying to get a realistic trade in value for a 2008 A8L - 89k miles, premium package, sports package, nav, alcantera headliner. Black ext, brown int. No warranty.

Thanks in advance
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    You better sit down.
  • blungeblunge Member Posts: 9
    @robr2 ha ha. Don't worry, i think i've already had my expectations set pretty low!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    blunge said:

@robr2 ha ha. Don't worry, i think i've already had my expectations set pretty low!

Take a moment to edit your post with your location, condition, accident history. It makes things easier for the pros.
    qbrozen said:

OK, looks like they actually bought that one at a NJ auction back on Nov 19th for $24k even.

You didn't say if its CPO. $30k is definitely high. If CPO, new tires, plenty of pad left on those brakes, etc, I'd be shooting for $28k... maybe $28.5k. Knock off $1k if it lacks CPO, and start knocking off for any maintenance needs it has.

yes it is cpo. is so damn difficult to decide what car to get. would not mind honda crv but gf does not like it...got mixed feelings about bmw...
  • fooie8fooie8 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2012 Altima 3.5 SR with every option (including navigation). The car has 36k miles. I had to have the engine replaced due to a bad piston ring. It was covered under warranty by Nissan and done by Nissan. I also was give a gold extended warranty to 100k miles because of the repair. I'd just like to sell the car now and get something else. Private party estimate is around 16-17k. How much do you think I can sell it for, considering its history? Please advise.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    On that "gold extended warranty to 100k miles", is that transferable? I don't know that it would make any difference to the wholesale value (probably not, or not much), but I was just curious.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • betheauxbetheaux Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2014
    Here's my trade...what's your thoughts on value?

2012 Honda Civic Si Sedan w/ Navi - White
    - Davenport, Iowa
    46,000 miles
    Pristine condition...no dings/scratches
    Clean Carfax...no accidents of any kind
    Has nearly every OEM accessory/option offered, below:
    Sunroof visor
    Window visors
    Hood deflector
    Body side molding
    Door edge guards
    Honda Civic car cover
    All season rubber floor mats
    Trunk rubber tray
    Trunk grocery hook
    Trunk lid insulator
    Splash guards
    Rear door cup holders

I know Si's are a hard sell on the lot. I had an embarrassing offer from a dealer over the weekend of $11,500. I actually walked after he had come up to $14,500 (only took 15 minutes for him to come up that far). $15,000 is my minimum acceptable offer (we owe $16k but I'm willing to take a slight hit since the sales tax savings will make it a semi-wash over PP sale).

Thanks!
    fooie8 said:

I have a 2012 Altima 3.5 SR with every option (including navigation). The car has 36k miles. I had to have the engine replaced due to a bad piston ring. It was covered under warranty by Nissan and done by Nissan. I also was give a gold extended warranty to 100k miles because of the repair. I'd just like to sell the car now and get something else. Private party estimate is around 16-17k. How much do you think I can sell it for, considering its history? Please advise.

How many doors?

edited December 2014
    betheaux said:

- Davenport, Iowa
    46,000 miles
    Sunroof visor
    Window visors
    Hood deflector
    Body side molding
    Door edge guards
    Honda Civic car cover
    Trunk rubber tray
    Trunk grocery hook
    Trunk lid insulator
    Splash guards
    Rear door cup holders

I know Si's are a hard sell on the lot. I had an embarrassing offer from a dealer over the weekend of $11,500. I actually walked after he had come up to $14,500 (only took 15 minutes for him to come up that far). $15,000 is my minimum acceptable offer (we owe $16k but I'm willing to take a slight hit since the sales tax savings will make it a semi-wash over PP sale).

Thanks!

$14,500 was above and beyond. $13k is a reasonable top of the mark. $14.5 would be really strong even for a coupe, but within reason.

robr2 said:

blunge said:

Take a moment to edit your post with your location, condition, accident history. It makes things easier for the pros.
    Not to mention which engine!

• betheauxbetheaux Member Posts: 12
    Wow...guess I really set my expectations high. So strange to me, considering we sold our 2009 Civic Si Sedan with HFP with more mileage this year for $15,500 to private party. 2012 really was a bad year...nobody wants em.' Nice to know though where we stand.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    For a friend...

2012 Toyota Camry SE V6
    Auto
    30k Miles
    Gray over Black Leather
    Moonroof
    Nav
    JBL Audio
    Leather
    No runs/hits/errors

Located around Seattle. Looking for trade-in value.

Does anyone know if Toyota charges tax to a non-Toyota dealer taking a lease car on trade?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

For a friend...

2012 Toyota Camry SE V6
    Auto
    30k Miles
    Gray over Black Leather
    Moonroof
    Nav
    JBL Audio
    Leather
    No runs/hits/errors

Located around Seattle. Looking for trade-in value.

Does anyone know if Toyota charges tax to a non-Toyota dealer taking a lease car on trade?

Dealers don't pay sales tax... that's a wholesale transaction.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    betheaux said:

- Davenport, Iowa
    46,000 miles
    Sunroof visor
    Window visors
    Hood deflector
    Body side molding
    Door edge guards
    Honda Civic car cover
    Trunk rubber tray
    Trunk grocery hook
    Trunk lid insulator
    Splash guards
    Rear door cup holders

Thanks!

I'll agree that the original $11,500 was a low ball offer. He gives you $14,500 and sticks it on his lot for $19K and sells it for $18.5.

You'd probably not owe as much if you skipped the NAV & didn't check off $1000 + (MSRP) of genuine honda accessories. You are correct about the 2012s, nobody wants em.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

VW dealer was at $15k for my '14 Tucson and then came up to $15.5 yesterday so might be something we can do. Still about $500 to$800 off on a deal for a '15 Golf SE with roof but they do want to move some iron which is a good thing. Will wait a couple of weeks and look to do something on the 30th or 31st and see where we get to. Will also try the farther away VW store just to see where they come in, supposedly they are a major VW seller in the southeast United States though when I was thee last year, was not impressed with their set up nor their prices. We'll see how this pans out!!!