Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

1707172737476»

Comments

• odyjeep22odyjeep22 Member Posts: 3

Honda Odyssey 6yr/100K $0 Ded Honda Care $940 from Hyannis Honda

• altinkeraltinker Member Posts: 7

I did get a quote for the 8yr/120K warranty at $1230 from a Massachusetts dealer; however, I used it as a negotiating item when trying to get the lowest price for car/options/warranty/interest rate. The dealer charged me $1595 for the service contract and said that was the lowest they can go because they normally sell it for $3000 or $3500, but they threw in window tinting and some accessories at cost to get me down to $200 lower than my lowest quote. I'm okay with my local dealership making a bit of profit, but not an exorbitant amount -- like 200 or 300%.

The dealer also sold a non-Honda care warranty (they probably get better profit on it), and I was armed with info when I went in there. Only one local dealer was able to give it to me at the $1230 price, but the cost for the car, accessories, and interest rate were all higher. So, it worked out in the long run.

I owned a Mercedes C230 for 11 years -- I tend to keep my cars. I had to have my computer display replaced once, and that was $1000. I know that something is going to break in 8 years on most cars. The warranty is totally worth it to me.

• altinkeraltinker Member Posts: 7

It seemed strange to me that my dealer had Honda Care available, but they were pushing a third party manufacturer's warranty instead. I did some online research, and apparently, there was a lawsuit Saccucci vs. Honda. What happened (I will try to cover the high points as it was a lengthy doc I sifted through) -- a customer went into a dealership and bought a car and the Honda Care warranty at regular dealer prices. Then, they researched the warranty and saw that Saccucci sold it for way cheaper. They flipped out on the dealer and said that they were never going to do business with the dealer, and further, they were never going to buy a Honda. They accused the dealer of cheating them. So, the dealer contacted HQ, and HQ stopped Internet sales of the Honda Car VSC's temporarily. Saccucci filed a lawsuit and later an appeal, but Honda won. I didn't do further research to see how they are able to sell VSC's. But, I am guessing that dealers have Honda Care available, but they push the third party warranty because a customer can't accuse them of cheating them on pricing that way.

• stockdoxstockdox Member Posts: 14

@altinker said:

It seemed strange to me that my dealer had Honda Care available, but they were pushing a third party manufacturer's warranty instead. I did some online research, and apparently, there was a lawsuit Saccucci vs. Honda. What happened (I will try to cover the high points as it was a lengthy doc I sifted through) -- a customer went into a dealership and bought a car and the Honda Care warranty at regular dealer prices. Then, they researched the warranty and saw that Saccucci sold it for way cheaper. They flipped out on the dealer and said that they were never going to do business with the dealer, and further, they were never going to buy a Honda. They accused the dealer of cheating them. So, the dealer contacted HQ, and HQ stopped Internet sales of the Honda Car VSC's temporarily. Saccucci filed a lawsuit and later an appeal, but Honda won. I didn't do further research to see how they are able to sell VSC's. But, I am guessing that dealers have Honda Care available, but they push the third party warranty because a customer can't accuse them of cheating them on pricing that way.

My dealer did not even bother to try and sell me a Honda Care Warranty but tried to scare me into paying over 3000 for a non-Honda warranty and up to over 5500 on anti theft options and maintenance plans and additional coverage. I bought Honda Care warranty from Saccucci mainly because I support consumer right to get a fair price on a warranty. The thing with Honda Care warranty is that they are cancel-able and you are refunded the unused portion. When people find they were taken on purchasing a Honda Care warranty, they cancel and buy it from someone else. Of course dealers do not want you to be able to cancel so they sell you a third party product.

• accdguy13accdguy13 Member Posts: 30

I just purchased an 8 year, 120,000 mile Honda Care warranty / with a 100.00 deductible from Bernardi Honda in Massachusetts for $ 1185.00. The price of the plan is a bit more than Saccucci Honda (often one of the lowest) but you can spread the payments out over 12 months by purchasing from Bernardi versus paying the whole shot at once... Plus - the dealer gives you a 30.00 gift certificate to Bernardi parts (useful for some touch up paint or a keychain) ... All in all- not bad.

• hondadriverhondadriver Member Posts: 6

Recently purchased 8-year, 120,000 mile, 0 deductible Honda Care coverage from www.hyannishondacare.com for $1075. Very responsive and easy to work with. Dealer where I purchased the Accord was pushing a 3d party warranty for $1600+. Actually asked me to sign the 3d party pricing sheet stating that I was declining the coverage.

• lo742lo742 Member Posts: 3

I just got my Accord LX and ot $960 - 6yr 120k Honda care. I got a quote from Curry Honda, and asked the dealer if they could at least match. They said no, its below there cost. Then during the signing of the paperwork they gave me the warrenty paper and it was for $960, he said he did not know they would do that as its costing them money. Ya ok :)

Question, some people mention the 8yr - 120yr "wrap" - is that different from the regular Honda Care?

• hondadriverhondadriver Member Posts: 6

Plan code D62 is 6 years/120K/0 deductible. Same but 8 years is code D82. There appear to be 13 plans with zero deductible and 10 with $100 deductible option.

• zhelderzhelder Member Posts: 42

I'm in the market for an 8 yr/120,000/$0 deductible plan for my 2013 Honda Accord V6 touring. I've called a bunch of dealers trying to get prices for HondaCare extended warranties. The best price I've gotten is $1135 for an 8 year/120,000 mile/$0 deductible plan from Hyannis Honda. A second dealer (College Hills) has come close, with a price of $1150 for the same plan.

Are these the best prices I can get right now? Also, do any dealers offer good prices AND the payment plan without extra cost? Thanks for any information.

My pricing sheet from Saccucci for my 2014 Accord V6 was 1200 for that coverage, so that seems good to me. If you want the payment plan, its going to cost you, plain and simple. Maybe I am old school, but if you have the money to blow on a 35,000 automobile then you probably should have an extra $1000 lying around.

• charleyvarrickcharleyvarrick Member Posts: 4

So, I've gotten a wealth of good intelligence on this forum. I'm considering the 8/120 through Hyannis. But I had another question regarding a package that the F&I guy at my dealer pitched.

Essentially a cosmetic plan covering dents, dings, windshield, rims, and tires for 5 years. $699.

I dismissed it, but my wife is really keen on it so that she can keep her car pretty. I'm wondering if there are better prices for this type of plan out there. I've tried searching online but can't seem to find much that matches and none discuss pricing. Thoughts?

I don't believe Honda offers this kind of protection so it is third party. Personally, I would stay clear of any service agreement that is not factory.

• charleyvarrickcharleyvarrick Member Posts: 4

@stockdox said:
    I don't believe Honda offers this kind of protection so it is third party.

Personally, I would stay clear of any service agreement that is not factory.

Correct, third party. Thanks for the feedback.

• kimeroskimeros Member Posts: 7
    Is the Honda Extended Care something that can be purchased separately from the the dealer you purchase the car from? If so, is the new dealer selling the warranty the one that has to service the car?

Can Honda sell this service directly?

When they say the warranty is for 6 or 8 years, is that including the base 3 year manufacturer warranty?

If I choose not to purchase it at the car purchase time, can this be acquired before the 36 month warranty is over?

I'm being offered 1,400 US for a 6y/100K base plan for my Odyssey EX 2015 in central NJ.

Thanks!
  • pjindal25pjindal25 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, new here. Buying a new 2014 Accord EL-X. Is there a single post with useful information on warranty information for new car? Have simple questions like -
    Should I buy an extended warranty with the car purchase or later? How much are the expected prices? Main warranty dealers websites.
  • wonderwhy1wonderwhy1 Member Posts: 2
    I just puchased new 2014 honda accord and find I'm being charged $100 per month for 8 years. This sounds crazy. Whart do you think? I can cancel
  • wonderwhy1wonderwhy1 Member Posts: 2
    8 year warranty includes ket fob and treatment on interior and exterior . Fidelity warranty co.
  • upforlease2015upforlease2015 Member Posts: 7
    Bought 7yr/100k, 0$ ded. for $835 on a 2012 Pilot CPO w/ 23K miles on it.
    Basically, with factory + 1 yr CPO, i'm getting 3 extra year on top of it.

Can anyone confirm that it can be cancelled and get premium refunded if no claim has been made over life of warranty? if so, then is there any time limit to do so?
    I asked same ques to dealer and he told me NO refunds, only policy transfer allowed (with 50$ fee).

Thanks,
  • mrsunny2014mrsunny2014 Member Posts: 16
    I just bought a 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid and was looking for quotes around. The best quotes I have received for Honda Auto Care Extended Warranty from online Honda dealers for 8Y/100K(D80) & 8Y/120K(D82) were from Hyannis Honda but they don't sell the coverage for California. The next best was Saccuci at 985 & 1110 respectively.

Can anyone confirm if the Honda Care warranty quotes are same between Honda Civic & Honda Civic Hybrid?
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    People buy a Honda for, at least partially, their reliability. One benefit of such reliability is to minimize the risk of having an expensive repair after the factory warranty expires. Consumer Reports, and other publications, strongly recommend against an extended service contract, particularly for a reliable vehicle such as Honda.

Anyone considering an extended service contract on a Honda should ask themselves if spending money on a product which is priced by the provider of the service contract to make them a nice profit is wise? As CR has stated, the majority of people purchasing an extended service contract will not recover the cost of that contract.

A better method is to take the money required for the extended service contract, whether one payment or a monthly payment, and put it into a savings account. Should a repair occur the money is available. However, if no repair occur the money is still available to the car buyer.

It is good to recognize an extended service contract is priced by the provider to cover the expected cost of all covered repairs plus the administrative costs of the provider plus a profit to the provider. In addition, the dealer who sells the contract also adds a profit. This means for any extended service contract, the expected average payout for repairs is likely less than one half of the selling price of the contract. Foe example, a dealer may attempt to sell at $2,000 when the average payout will be closer to $800. Is paying $2,000 for $800 in covered repairs a good buy?
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    That's your opinion & you're certainly entitled to it, but I disagree.  If you can buy a HondaCare plan at a good price (such as from Sacucci or others), it's not a bad investment.  Most Hondas have CVT's and their long term reliability is not fully known.  Plus with the amount of electronics on cars nowadays, it doesn't take much to get a $1k repair bill after the warranty is done.  I'm willing to pay the price for the plan but if you don't want to, I respect that decision and will not try to tell you that is wrong.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    I received quotes from Hyannis and Curry. Decided to go with the 8/120 and $0 deductible from Hyannis as it was $155 cheaper than Curry.

Bob Leab was answered all my questions and gave me everything I asked for to review prior to making the purchase. Easy and painless and provides some piece of mind for a long time and a lot of miles.

While I agree that people tend to buy a Honda at least in part due to its reliability, I had a 1998 Accord EX-V6 and a 1999 Odyssey that both needed a transmission at ~90K (both were first year vehicles and the '98 was the Accord's first year with a V6).
  • mrsunny2014mrsunny2014 Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2015
    The warranty for Honda Civic Hybrid is different and higher than Honda Civic. Just wanted to answer my own question.
  • l_ann_fl_ann_f Member Posts: 2
    Got a quote from Saccucci for $1,110 for a 2015 Civic for 8 years/ 120,000 miles. Called the dealer selling me the car and they gave it to me for $1,210. Got a really good price on the car so I went with the dealer who sold me the car. The dealer originally quoted $1,980. Big difference.
  • androascandroasc Member Posts: 10
    Should I buy Honda Care (8yrs/120k miles) after purchasing a new car or just before the 3yrs/36k miles standard warranty ends? Is there a price difference if I wait until 2-3 years later, i.e. do I get a better price if I get it on a new car?

In addition, what would be other considerations of getting Honda Care on day 1? I saw another post on Edmunds that said if you financed through Honda, it is very difficult to get your insurance premium back because it goes back to Honda and not you. Also, what happens if you total your car in the 1st year? Is the premium "lost" or do you get a refunded for the unused 7 year portion?
  • vinnygvinnyg Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2015
    androasc said:

Should I buy Honda Care (8yrs/120k miles) after purchasing a new car or just before the 3yrs/36k miles standard warranty ends? Is there a price difference if I wait until 2-3 years later, i.e. do I get a better price if I get it on a new car?

In addition, what would be other considerations of getting Honda Care on day 1? I saw another post on Edmunds that said if you financed through Honda, it is very difficult to get your insurance premium back because it goes back to Honda and not you. Also, what happens if you total your car in the 1st year? Is the premium "lost" or do you get a refunded for the unused 7 year portion?

You should buy the warranty before the 6 months/6,000 mile mark to get the best pricing.
    http://www.honda-extended-warranty.com/FAQs.aspx
    I have also heard about the refund not going back to the purchaser in the event that he/she financed it.
    If the vehicle is totaled or stolen, I am pretty sure you get a refund of the portion you didn't use, depending on how long you had the vehicle at the time.
    This thread may assist you:
    http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/210426-hondacare-extended-warranty.html
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
  • dean40dean40 Member Posts: 3
    Im glad i looked on here before buying a warranty when i bought my new Honda Civic 2 months ago. They wanted to sell me the 7yr/100mi warranty for $2k!
    Don't forget that the online dealers do not charge sales tax as well, so even if you were to have your dealer match their pricing, you still will be paying more once the tax is added. I know where I am located in N.Y., if I were to get the dealer to match the online pricing of $1330, tax here would be over $100, which can be a couple of tanks of gas. Better the money goes in your pocket that to the dealer's vacation home.
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
  • jlum866jlum866 Member Posts: 25
    Thanks to everyone here for their contributions. I just used Edmunds.com to purchase a 2015 Honda Civic EX-L. Also purchased a Honda Care warranty online from Saccucci Honda after reading this forum. It was a pretty painless transaction, unlike the experience in the dealership finance office.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats!
  • moh_odyssey78moh_odyssey78 Member Posts: 3
    I am in Austin and have been working through dealers for Honda Care , extended warranty. Surprisingly all dealers I contacted (Howdy Honda, First Texas Honda and Gillman Honda San Antonio) are providing me exactly same pricing :-

96/100K = $1490
    72/100K = $1305
    60/100K = $1150
    60/80K = $930

Tried to negotiate but none agreed and told me this is final cost. This seems way higher than what i see in forums for what is offered by other dealers in other states. Still confused if i should go ahead with this as i have limited time since my car odometer is about hit 6000 miles. Does anybody have any experience dealing with Austin dealers ?

Why can't you but it online, tax free, from the online dealers mentioned on the forum? Here is an example of their tax free prices:

$0 deductible plans

Plan Code D34 D46 D56 D50 D58 D68 D60 D62 D72 D70 D78 D80 D82
    Plan Length 36/45k 48/60k 60/60k 60/100k 60/80k 72/80k 72/100k 72/120k 84/120k 84/100k 84/80k 96/100k 96/120k
    Base Price $345 $500 $510 $785 $665 $730 $940 $1,050 $1,255 $1,145 $825 $1,225 $1,330

$100 deductible plans

Plan Code C58 C50 C68 C60 C62 C72 C70 C78 C80 C82
    Plan Length 60/80k 60/100k 72/80k 72/100k 72/120k 84/120k 84/100k 84/80k 96/100k 96/120k
    Base Price $560 $680 $625 $835 $945 $1,150 $1,040 $720 $1,120 $1,225
    Thanks for the details. I thought dealer needs to see the odometer of the car (if it is less then 6K ) so may not be offered online. What would be the good place to start with. Would appreciate any details. I tried http://www.honda-extended-warranty.com/ but this is currently not showing info and is on-going maintenance
    Looking at this thread history , i was able to get more details on hyannis & Curry that may be selling the warranty online, hopefully that should work out.
    I believe all you have to do is send them a pic of the odometer reading next to a current newspaper to prove the date if I am not mistaken.
  • achilles9achilles9 Member Posts: 3
    Yesterday I got my vehicle and bought honda extended warranty at 1770. After seeing this forum I paid very high compared to best rates. Is there any way I can cancel purchase and re-buy it??

Thank you for advice
  • honda_ohiohonda_ohio Member Posts: 1
    The last post in this forum is from June 2015. Has anybody purchased an extended warranty from hyannishondacare.com. Is this legit ? please post your experiences.
    Seems legit just looking at the web pages. The domain shares a lot of the same info as Hyannishonda.com. The dealer also has online genuine Honda parts and accessories figured out.
  • hucke1958hucke1958 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2016 Honda Accord EX-CVT and wondered if I purchase the extended warranty, can I have any warranty work done by my independent honda repair guys? I've taken my Honda cars to them for 15+ years and don't want to go to the dealer. Thoughts? I've heard you have to get an authorization on all work--would the dealer authorize or Honda?
    edited April 2016
    Why not wait until the factory warranty(s) get close to expiration? A lot can happen in 3 to 5 years and you may decide to hop into a new model or wind up in a fender bender.

You'd have to check the fine print on using your indy mechanic. There may be something in there about using genuine Honda service unless it's an emergency and one isn't available.

Maybe an owner can weigh in.
  • mmedicmmedic Member Posts: 15
    Is it accurate to say that extended Honda Care warranty can be purchased as long as factory warranty is still in effect?
    This is what Honda.com currently says:

"Coverage for a New Plan begins when the vehicle is originally put into service and at zero miles. Coverage for Pre-Owned and Powertrain Plans begins on the vehicle service contract purchase date and at the mileage on the odometer on that date. The Honda New Vehicle Limited Warranty and Honda Care Vehicle Service Contract cover similar components and provide similar benefits. The Vehicle Service Contract coverage of those components and services begins when the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage has expired."

Curryhondacare.com has some more details.
  • anneh38anneh38 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a 2016 Accord this February from a Honda dealer and they tried to sell me the Zurich ext warranty but I am thinking its safer to go with a Honda warranty? I figured it was a good idea to get a warranty as this car will have to last me 10 years or so., usually we don't bother with warranties. Can anyone tell me what the going price is for Honda warranties from the dealer?
    edited May 2016
    If I got an extended warranty (and I probably wouldn't, especially not until the car was nearing the end of the basic warranty), I'd only go with the manufacturer backed warranty.

Zurich is a huge multi-billion dollar Swiss company that owns Farmer's Insurance in the states, so they likely aren't going away. It just seems like the manufacturer backed extended warranties are easier to deal with. Your dealer likely makes a bigger commission selling Zurich though.

Check the link(s) above for online quotes.
  • anneh38anneh38 Member Posts: 4

The last post in this forum is from June 2015. Has anybody purchased an extended warranty from hyannishondacare.com. Is this legit ? please post your experiences.

Hi, did you purchase from them? I am abit nervous purchasing online so let me know what you got, thanks
    Sorry, but I haven't been on this forum in a while and a member contacted me with an inquiry. I purchased a Honda Care warranty a while back from Hyannis directly and it was easy and painless, and saved a ton of cash compared to what the selling dealer of my van had priced out. Here is a link to the sites to get the best Honda/Acura Care prices: http://tellmethebest.com/car-value.html
  • davidowsdavidows Member Posts: 3
    Regarding the post from Anneh38, back in May, I can add some insight into the workings of Zurich warranties. If you buy the factory warranty, then the car's manufacturer decides whether to authorize the dealer to make the repair under the warranty. If they dishonor too many warranties, they risk a class-action suit and a bad national reputation.

With Zurich warranties, the dealer administers the warranties they sell and the cost of the repair comes out of a reserve they administer, created from proceeds of their sale of warranties. This can have several ramifications. Although reputation is just as important to them, finding other customers for a class-action suit may be more difficult in the event that the dealer refuses to honor the warranty.

If you don't have a good relationship with the dealer in the future, you may have to go to court to have the coverage honored. However, if you take the car to another dealer, that dealer doesn't stand to lose anything since the cost will be charged back to the dealer who originally sold the warranty. You just need to be sure the warranty doesn't require you do return to the original dealer whenever you are local to his shop.

This is why a dealer in another state preferred to sell me the factory warranty rather than the Zurich, which he usually prefers to sell. Because I live several hours away in a different state and wouldn't be coming back to him for warranty repairs, he was concerned that my local dealer would happily load me up with warranty repairs, lining their own (the local dealer's) pockets at his expense (the out-of-state dealer).

The bottom line is that you are always better off having the cost of repairs funded by someone other than the dealer or repair shop. That puts them on your side, since they will fight for their customer to be covered by the third party so they can earn a profit and look good in the eyes of the customer.
  • fjb323fjb323 Member Posts: 20
    WHERE CAN I GO TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY "HIDDEN MANUFACTURERS EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR MY HONDA. i.e. THE TRANSMISSION WARRANTY OF THE PAST