Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 BMW 328i Lease Questions

rarebmwrarebmw Member Posts: 4
edited May 2015 in BMW
I thought I was getting a good deal, but after reading here and checking Edmund's True Market Value, I'm starting to doubt that I am. Nothing has been signed yet.

First, the dealer says the residual for a 2015 328i 39 month lease at 10K/yr is 62%. That doesn't sound right. Then he says the money factor is .0017. Eventually, I get .0015 and 63%. Still seems the MF is high.

The MSRP is $49,600 for an in-stock car. The deal currently has a cap reduction of $3284 and a payment of $434. I'll ask about MSDs instead of a cap reduction. But even considering the high MF, it feels like I'm over-paying for the car, too.

This is Texas, though, and I'm fuzzy on sales taxes... though my advisor did say that BMWFS had sales tax credits available, so I would benefit from that. There's a line item of $1250 that the advisor said was related to that benefit.

What is the base MF applicable in this situation?
What should the price of the vehicle be? Edmunds says $46440, before any incentives, which they list as $1000.

Plugging $45440, .0015, 63%, and 3284 cap reduction in to my spreadsheet, I get a payment of $390. To get to $434, I have to have a price of over $47K. $48K considering the $1000 incentive. Not much "dealer contribution" here, especially if I am overpaying on the MF.

What am I missing?

See Also: 2015 BMW 3-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    rarebmw said:

I thought I was getting a good deal, but after reading here and checking Edmund's True Market Value, I'm starting to doubt that I am. Nothing has been signed yet.

First, the dealer says the residual for a 2015 328i 39 month lease at 10K/yr is 62%. That doesn't sound right. Then he says the money factor is .0017. Eventually, I get .0015 and 63%. Still seems the MF is high.

The MSRP is $49,600 for an in-stock car. The deal currently has a cap reduction of $3284 and a payment of $434. I'll ask about MSDs instead of a cap reduction. But even considering the high MF, it feels like I'm over-paying for the car, too.

This is Texas, though, and I'm fuzzy on sales taxes... though my advisor did say that BMWFS had sales tax credits available, so I would benefit from that. There's a line item of $1250 that the advisor said was related to that benefit.

What is the base MF applicable in this situation?
    What should the price of the vehicle be? Edmunds says $46440, before any incentives, which they list as $1000.

Plugging $45440, .0015, 63%, and 3284 cap reduction in to my spreadsheet, I get a payment of $390. To get to $434, I have to have a price of over $47K. $48K considering the $1000 incentive. Not much "dealer contribution" here, especially if I am overpaying on the MF.

What am I missing?

.00130 MF and 63% residual for 39mo, 10K/yr. $1000 Holiday Credit.

With no CAP cost reduction, I get a payment of $464/mo., using the base rates. Using your numbers, with the inflated MF, I get $390 + tax, as well..

Texas charges sales tax on the full purchase price of the vehicle. The leasing bank (BMWFS) will sometimes get tax credits from the state, as they are taking cars "in-trade" (lease returns), when they purchase new cars to lease. Sometimes, they pass those credits along. Those credits are valuable, and you should know exactly how much of a credit you are getting, and how much tax you are paying, as that could be substantial. It's possible that the dealer has some say-so on how much to pass along, so you should be introducing some competition into your car shopping.

One thing that will start clearing up the numbers is when you ask for the net CAP cost, and then an explanation of how they got to that number. There may be a lot of crap hidden in there.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rarebmwrarebmw Member Posts: 4
    Thank you. Thanks also for confirming my spreadsheet numbers.

I'd love to introduce competition in to the shopping... but the dealer is the only one within 60 miles. As it happens, I am returning a 2011 BMW 328iC from lease with a 31K residual, with only 24K miles (30K contracted) with a clean pre-return inspection (leased when I lived in a different state.)

Maybe I'll have to consider other car brands... or just buy out my lease. Or consider a "long-distance" purchase.
  • brew9brew9 Member Posts: 5
    I'm also considering leasing a 2015 BMW 328xi wagon. I'm new to leasing so I'm just starting to research cars and lease terminology and its a bit confusing. The price of the car I'm looking at is $49,925, $1000 credit, want a three yr. lease w/ 12000miles per year. Where should the MF be and the residual value? Also I have a 2006 BMW wagon I own and plan on selling to them. Should I use some cash from that to lower cap cost? Looks like their looking for $3000 down plus fees, should be somewhere between $4100-$4200 cash due. Seems like a lot down and not much off. I'm looking to be Under $400 if possible. 
    brew9 said:

I'm also considering leasing a 2015 BMW 328xi wagon. I'm new to leasing so I'm just starting to research cars and lease terminology and its a bit confusing. The price of the car I'm looking at is $49,925, $1000 credit, want a three yr. lease w/ 12000miles per year. Where should the MF be and the residual value? Also I have a 2006 BMW wagon I own and plan on selling to them. Should I use some cash from that to lower cap cost? Looks like their looking for $3000 down plus fees, should be somewhere between $4100-$4200 cash due. Seems like a lot down and not much off. I'm looking to be Under $400 if possible. 

.00130 MF and 62% residual for 39 mo, 12K/yr. $1000 Holiday Credit.
    BMW also has an extra $1000 for 3-series delivered from dealer stock by 12/24.

You should negotiate the selling price of the new car, just as if you are buying it. About 6-7% off MSRP minus the $2000 in incentives is a good price.

You can structure the lease however you want.. Big dollars upfront are used as a way to show a lower payment, to help sell the car. You can easily put up less than $1000 to drive off. The dealership can cut you a check for your trade-in.

However, you aren't going to be anywhere close to $400/mo. on a $50K BMW, without putting a lot of money upfront.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Would you say it's not a good decision to put up a larger amount of money, say $5-6k from trade-in and pocket the rest?Also the money  due at signing, 1st month payment and all fees goes to cap cost? For example Msrp - 7% - incentives - 1st and fees ?
    brew9 said:

Would you say it's not a good decision to put up a larger amount of money, say $5-6k from trade-in and pocket the rest?Also the money  due at signing, 1st month payment and all fees goes to cap cost? For example Msrp - 7% - incentives - 1st and fees ?

I usually pay 1st payment and government-required non-taxable fees at signing. Everything else goes in the payment..

You can put $6000 down on a $600/mo. lease payment to make that payment $433/mo, but that doesn't change the fact that it's really a $600/mo. lease..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Just got a quote from a BMW dealer for a 2015 328xi wagon. MSRP $49,860, selling price of $45,500, MF .00155, residual $30913. $2800 down which includes 1st, aq. fee, title, reg. Monthly is $518.44. Sounds kinda high?
    brew9 said:

Just got a quote from a BMW dealer for a 2015 328xi wagon. MSRP $49,860, selling price of $45,500, MF .00155, residual $30913. $2800 down which includes 1st, aq. fee, title, reg. Monthly is $518.44. Sounds kinda high?

What lease term and mileage?

Base MF is .00130. $1000 Holiday Credit, plus another $1000 dealer incentive, if you take a vehicle from stock by 12/24.

So... not a great deal... from what info we have.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

12k miles per for 39 months, sorry
    What would make this deal a good deal aside for a lower MF? More off cap,different residual? Is the goal to look for a higher or lower residual?
    brew9 said:

What would make this deal a good deal aside for a lower MF? More off cap,different residual? Is the goal to look for a higher or lower residual?

Through the 24th, if you buy out of dealer stock, there is $2000 in incentives.. So MSRP minus 7% minus $2000 is about $44,400. With $725 acq.fee, a CAP cost of $45,125.

62% residual and .00130 MF results in a payment of $463/mo.+tax.
    Due at signing: 1st payment, title/registration (about $1000?)

I don't know where you live (tax rate, etc), but that's what I'd shoot for..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bananaerobananaero Member Posts: 123
    edited December 2014
    Hello,

I'm looking to lease a 2014 335i xDrive. 36 month lease, 10k miles, registering in PA. The listed MSRP is $55,650. Any incentives? MF? Residual? Thanks! Also, are there any differences for 2014 335i Active Hybrid?
    bananaero said:

Hello,

I'm looking to lease a 2014 335i xDrive. 36 month lease, 10k miles, registering in PA. The listed MSRP is $55,650. Any incentives? MF? Residual? Thanks! Also, are there any differences for 2014 335i Active Hybrid?

.00130 MF and 62% residual. $750 Holiday Credit.

The Hybrid residual is 57%, but it has an additional $4000 Eco Credit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bananaerobananaero Member Posts: 123
    Are there any incentives for 2015 335i xdrive? What is the MF and Residual for 36mo/10k miles for these cars? Thank you!
    bananaero said:

Are there any incentives for 2015 335i xdrive? What is the MF and Residual for 36mo/10k miles for these cars? Thank you!

.00130 MF and 60% residual for 39 mo, 10K/yr... $1000 Holiday Credit

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kywonkywon Member Posts: 28
    What are the residuals on a 2015 328i with 15k miles/year for 36 and 39 months?

And I read somewhere that the holiday credit expires 1/2/15. Is that just the $1000 or is it $2000 including the must take from dealer inventory credit?

Thank you so much!
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    kywon said:

What are the residuals on a 2015 328i with 15k miles/year for 36 and 39 months?

And I read somewhere that the holiday credit expires 1/2/15. Is that just the $1000 or is it $2000 including the must take from dealer inventory credit?

Thank you so much!

60% and .00130 for 39/15. $1000 holiday credit.

Current numbers expire today - don't know about the $2K incentive.

January numbers are available - .00131 and 50% for 39/15. No lease cash.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jgirl6jgirl6 Member Posts: 53
    edited January 2015
    Do not know if this is the place for this. Just about to lease a 2015 BMW 328xi mileage 10k per year 39 mo. What happens with BMW pull ahead leases and mileage? Are the months pro-rated? (i.e say 36 mo 10k per year. dealer wants it back 6 mo early and instead of you only having 25k miles you already are at 30k miles Are you charged as an overage?) Is there standard or estimated dollar value in going from 10k per year to 12k per year. (MSRP 43,500) or is it just the dollar value created by the change in residual value? I think I was being shown the same residual 62% and money factor .00130 for both allowable miles per year 10k should be 63% no?
    jgirl6 said:

Do not know if this is the place for this. Just about to lease a 2015 BMW 328xi mileage 10k per year 39 mo. What happens with BMW pull ahead leases and mileage? Are the months pro-rated? (i.e say 36 mo 10k per year. dealer wants it back 6 mo early and instead of you only having 25k miles you already are at 30k miles Are you charged as an overage?) Is there standard or estimated dollar value in going from 10k to 12k I was being shown the same residual and money factor for both 62% .00130

Generally, the miles are pro-rated, but the policy could vary from one company to another. I know the one time I did a pull-ahead on a Ford lease years ago the miles were pro-rated.

Going from 12K to 10K on the lease should add 1% to the residual for BMW.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

edited January 2015
    I signed paperwork to secure financing for a 2015 328xi (MSRP $43,500) 39 mo 10k per year I think I made a mistake and should have done 12k per year :( I agreed to $38,218 for the vehicle MF .00130 RV 62% $349/mo $500 down. By reducing mileage from 12k to 10k and putting $500 down I reduced payment from $369/mo to the $349/mo but in end cost myself money ($155) plus less miles) rather than saving it. Hope I can correct this and confirm residual value once financing is secured and the time comes to sign the actual lease. Oh BTW asked about MSD and told by 2 different dealers not allowed in NY
    jgirl6 said:

I signed paperwork to secure financing for a 2015 328xi (MSRP $43,500) 39 mo 10k per year I think I made a mistake and should have done 12k per year :( I agreed to $38,218 for the vehicle MF .00130 RV 62% $349/mo $500 down. By reducing mileage from 12k to 10k and putting $500 down I reduced payment from $369/mo to the $349/mo but in end cost myself money ($155) plus less miles) rather than saving it. Hope I can correct this and confirm residual value once financing is secured and the time comes to sign the actual lease. Oh BTW asked about MSD and told by 2 different dealers not allowed in NY

Correct ... MSD not allowed in NY State.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Was the deal I negotiated a good deal? I am hoping to increase the mileage before signing the actual lease even if it costs me a few bucks more a month We needed to get the paperwork in to securing the financing/rates.
    jgirl6 said:

Was the deal I negotiated a good deal? I am hoping to increase the mileage before signing the actual lease even if it costs me a few bucks more a month We needed to get the paperwork in to securing the financing/rates.

Looks like a good deal. Base MF and a substantial discount from sticker will always result in a solid lease payment relative to MSRP.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

jgirl6 said:

Don't wait until it's time to sign the lease... call them now and tell them you want 12K/yr

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2015
    Thanks I told them the morning after I signed the paperwork only to obtain approval for financing (vehicle cash purchase agreement) that I felt uncomfortable with the 10k per yr. I confirmed the residual and the lease has not been signed yet. The salesman at the dealership said I could still change it but the payment goes up to 369. I feel like I should have held fast at the 349 and only caved on the 500 down. I only caved when the Salesman, should have realized he still is a salesman, said if I turned in the lease early and it had the full 30k he would work with me and for me to save my money. (Current 36mo lease got 15k/yr and only have 31 turn in is 2/18) I asked if mileage was prorated and he said no when got home after signing I found that to not be true. He'll do the 12k/yr but for $369. Can I still negotiate at all? As I have not signed the actual lease. Kind of upset at this tactic but know I'm getting a good deal even with the 369.
    jgirl6 said:

Thanks I told them the morning after I signed the paperwork only to obtain approval for financing (vehicle cash purchase agreement) that I felt uncomfortable with the 10k per yr. I confirmed the residual and the lease has not been signed yet. The salesman at the dealership said I could still change it but the payment goes up to 369. I feel like I should have held fast at the 349 and only caved on the 500 down. I only caved when the Salesman, should have realized he still is a salesman, said if I turned in the lease early and it had the full 30k he would work with me and for me to save my money. (Current 36mo lease got 15k/yr and only have 31 turn in is 2/18) I asked if mileage was prorated and he said no when got home after signing I found that to not be true. He'll do the 12k/yr but for $369. Can I still negotiate at all? As I have not signed the actual lease. Kind of upset at this tactic but know I'm getting a good deal even with the 369.

To go from 10K/yr to 12K/yr is 1% lower residual. On that car, that's $435 over 39 months (+tax). Or about $12/mo..

MSDs are not allowed in NYS.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Can I ask him to kick in the $435 or is it too late?
    And he is charging a $20 difference in payment
    You can ask for whatever you want, I guess... Just tell them to take your deal, as is... but, change the mileage allowance to 12K/yr.. That should be around $12/mo. more.. If it's not, ask why.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2015
    Thanks. My lease turn in fees are escalating from what I anticipated and every dollar will help. I'll let the salesman know about these unanticipated costs and state this is why I need the extra savings $349 but has to be 12k/yr and see what he says I'll let you know. As alway thank you
  • gced99gced99 Member Posts: 9
    I’m looking for the current MF and RV for a 2015 328i, 328x, 328d, and 328dx. 36/39 month, 15k per year. Do they still offer any ECO credits on diesel? Thank you very much for your help.
    gced99 said:

I’m looking for the current MF and RV for a 2015 328i, 328x, 328d, and 328dx. 36/39 month, 15k per year. Do they still offer any ECO credits on diesel? Thank you very much for your help.

39/15 numbers (all have MF of .00131).

$500 eco credit on the diesels.

328i and 328xi - 60%

328d and 328xd - 59%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• atlantag99atlantag99 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm looking for the MF and RV for a 2015 328xi, 36/39 month, 10k per year in Georgia. Do you know if they have any incentives for 328xi in the state? Thanks!

Hi, I'm looking for the MF and RV for a 2015 328xi, 36/39 month, 10k per year in Georgia. Do you know if they have any incentives for 328xi in the state? Thanks!

.00130 and 63% for 39/10. No lease cash this month.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• atlantag99atlantag99 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! Do you know why the dealership would be quoting me a MF of 0.0017 instead of 0.0013 for a 39/10? Do you think this is something I could negotiate down?

Thanks! Do you know why the dealership would be quoting me a MF of 0.0017 instead of 0.0013 for a 39/10? Do you think this is something I could negotiate down?

Dealer is allowed to mark up the MF to .0017 for extra profit. Politely but firmly explain to the dealer that you won't sign a deal with an inflated MF. Reach out to a second dealer if you have to - competition is your friend.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• kcharmkcharm Member Posts: 20
    Very close to doing a European Delivery deal on a 2015 328i but the numbers just don't seem right. Doing 7 MSDs. Total drive off including the 7 MSDs of $3500, 1st month, and other fees is $4495

Here's the pertinent stats:
    62% residual on a 39 month lease with 12k miles a year

MSRP - 47,950
    Total selling price is $42,895
    Total capital cost including the ACQ fee of $925 is $43,820
    money factor is .00111
    monthly payment with tax is $482.81 (L.A. county)

I am adding $400 for a dealer installed sirius which is added in there somewhere. The base numbers seem right and dealer seems to be only adding $750 for profit, but the monthly still seems high compared to other deals on this forum.

What do you think?

Thanks in Advance!

kcharm said:

Very close to doing a European Delivery deal on a 2015 328i but the numbers just don't seem right. Doing 7 MSDs. Total drive off including the 7 MSDs of $3500, 1st month, and other fees is $4495

Here's the pertinent stats:
    62% residual on a 39 month lease with 12k miles a year

MSRP - 47,950
    Total selling price is $42,895
    Total capital cost including the ACQ fee of $925 is $43,820
    money factor is .00111
    monthly payment with tax is $482.81 (L.A. county)

I am adding $400 for a dealer installed sirius which is added in there somewhere. The base numbers seem right and dealer seems to be only adding $750 for profit, but the monthly still seems high compared to other deals on this forum.

What do you think?

Thanks in Advance!

The numbers look right on..

There were $2000 of BMW incentives at the end of December, so any comparison to those prices is going to be tough, as those incentives are gone.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rdimanrdiman Member Posts: 3
    2015 BMW 328i

39 months / 12,000 miles
    MSRP - $39,700
    Due at Sign - $2,000
    Monthly Payment - $372/mo (7% FL Tax, incl.)

Please let me know if this is a Good / Decent deal overall...
    rdiman said:

2015 BMW 328i

39 months / 12,000 miles
    MSRP - $39,700
    Due at Sign - $2,000
    Monthly Payment - $372/mo (7% FL Tax, incl.)

Please let me know if this is a Good / Decent deal overall...

What was the selling price? What is the breakdown of the $2000 due at signing?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited March 2015
    Selling Price: $36,000
    Breakdown: ACQ FEE + TTL + 1ST PAY + DOC FEE

Not good I assume?
    rdiman said:

Selling Price: $36,000
    Breakdown: ACQ FEE + TTL + 1ST PAY + DOC FEE

Not good I assume?

Actually, pretty good considering that your payment includes tax and the $2000 up front does not include any sort of cap reduction.

Enjoy!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

All right!!! Thanks Michael!
  • msoaremsoare Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    Could someone please tell me what the MF and RV are for March for a 2015 328d xdrive wagon? I much appreciate it! Looking to order very soon. Not sure if the MF went down on this model as the BMW website APR is now lower this month than for the other models.
    msoare said:

Hi,
    Could someone please tell me what the MF and RV are for March for a 2015 328d xdrive wagon? I much appreciate it! Looking to order very soon. Not sure if the MF went down on this model as the BMW website APR is now lower this month than for the other models.

.00130 MF and 63% residual for 36mo, 15K/yr

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you for your prompt response; is it sure that the residual is 63% for 15K? It seems that based on bmwusa if i divide the end of lease purchase price to MSRP, i come to 65% for 10K.
    msoare said:

Thank you for your prompt response; is it sure that the residual is 63% for 15K? It seems that based on bmwusa if i divide the end of lease purchase price to MSRP, i come to 65% for 10K.

The numbers we have for March show 66% for 10K miles per year ... standard conversion dictates that the 15K residual is 3% less, or 63%.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

That would be great. Is this for the diesel wagon though? 328d x drive wagon? Thank you so much!
    msoare said:

That would be great. Is this for the diesel wagon though? 328d x drive wagon? Thank you so much!

Whoops, my apologies. 328d wagon is indeed 65% for 36/10 this month. 66% is the residual for other 3-series models.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• wildwilliswildwillis Member Posts: 9
    Hi!  Wondering if you have the March money factor and residual for a 2015 328i GT.  39 months @ 12k miles assuming 39 months is still the best value.  Thanks in advance!!!
This discussion has been closed.