Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    edited November 2013
    I find the comment of the "service manager" to be VERY interesting. Lets try to put some automotive logic into this situation! ----- "IF" raw fuel is getting into the engine oil because of the engine being a "direct injection engine" that means that the fuel injectors are over fueling the cylinder or for some reason the fule being injected into the engine is NOT being burned. If the injectors were over fueling the cylinders the engine would idle rough, (like a flooding Carb.), and there would be black exhaust smoke coming our of the tail pipe. In your posting you stated that you have sent oil samples for third part analysis twice and all came back clean of gasoline. Based on that I would have to believe that no raw fuel exists in the oil, but the smell of raw fuel could come from a leak in the engine compartment. Is it possible that the sample that you are sending out for analysis somehow "sits" and allows the gasoline to evaporate before it is examined. If the oil smells like raw gasoline there has to be gasoline in the oil to some extent. It would be an interesting experiment to put some type of gasoline dye into the fuel, and see if it ends up in the oil. I do not know if this is possible!!!!! ---- When you drain the oil, do you get a big odor of raw gasoline? ----- Raw fuel in the engine oil will destroy the lubricating characteristic of the engine oil, and this will cause mechanical problems in the engine, and oil burning problems through the PCV system. ----- How often do you change your oil? ------ When you change your oil do you notice that the viscosity of the oil is thinner? ----- The whole point of a "direct injection engine" is to get complete combustion, and complete combustion to me means no raw fuel left over in the cylinder! ----- All the best! ----- Dwayne
  • redding63redding63 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2011 Chevy Equinox 4 cylinder, had I have read these posts I NEVER EVER would have bought this piece of crap vehicle! I bought it at a local Chevy dealership and loved how the vehicle looked how it drove but then it was 5 days after the purchase we started noticing a couple ,what we thought was little things. HA what an understatement that is! They had to replace the fuel pump,water pump AND timing chain! And now we smell gas in the oil!!!!!!!!!!! We tried to return this piecer to them ,as they have a 30 day trade off if we don't like the vehicle etc. and now im getting the run around! I know theres a lemon law in N.D. so tell me what else can I do because im so sick and tired of talking to these people and they are NOT solving the problem only adding fuel to the fire,so to speak??? I have been a diehard Chevy owner for years and after owning this vehicle and the problems already and what is to come, im rapidly turning away from Chevy period! SHAME ON GM FOR MANUFACTURING SUCH A PIECE OF JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If they have a 30 day return policy and you are under the mileage, do not play around get an attorney! ---- Dwayne
  • della4della4 Member Posts: 2
    The 2011 Equinox has engine problems and I want to know WHY THEY ARE NOT BEING RECALLED! I am so fed up. I have had all the tires replaced, all 4 speakers replaced, the shifting mechanism replaces, all four door handles replaced, and currently the engine is knocking! GM says this is normal and other than putting a silencer on it there is nothing else they can do!! Bull____!! If they don't recall this thing I AM CALLING MY LAWER. I am so over GM vehicles - what junk. It also hesitates but they said that is also normal and it runs loud. The engine even knocks when no one is in it because I was putting my golfs clubs in one day and it just started knocking! The sticker promised 32mpg hwy which is also crap. The only good thing I can say is that the dealership I go to is amazing and I feel sorry for them having to put up with the problems with this piece of junk. So finally GM offered me $2500 to get rid of it! You are kidding - right! That made me even more furious! Why do we put up with this - I purchased a new vehicle so I would not have to be calling a car dealership all the time.
    Possible solution to your problem. ----- If your vehicle is still under the original new vehicle warranty, and you are "up-to-date" with all your service, go back to your dealer, and purchase a Top Of The Line GM Extended Warranty for the "maximum mileage," and the "maximum years" with zero deductible. ----- Now, you will be in the "driver's seat." ----- You know, it will pay for itself because it is only a matter of time before the engine or the transmission fails. ----- With an extended GM warranty the manufacturer will have to continue to repair this vehicle on their dime. ---- One engine or one transmission repair will cost the price of the warranty! ---- I have a 100,000 mile "top of the line" GM warranty on my 2010 LTZ 2.4 Malibu. Once it gets to 95,000 miles it is good by GM! ---- Dwayne.
  • triciag1triciag1 Member Posts: 6
    I am currently on my 2nd equinox and extremely unhappy !!!! Purchased the first one in March of 2011 basically the first month I had it, it was in the shop 23 days. The transmission went out in it. First they told me they were going to rebuild it. I refused ! and then they told me they would replace it (the transmission) I refused! I bought a new car and paid $25000. I didn't want it pieced together. Through lots of complaining and a lil more money my dealer bought it back from me and I picked out another one. I'm thinking whats the odds of this happening twice. . . .hmmmm

To make a long story short Equinox #2 the engine keeps stalling - at least 4 times a day. I pulled out in traffic leaving work and it stalled on me and I almost got hit. HUGE liability for Chevrolet ! I brought it to my dealer. They changed the cam shaft sensor and did an oil change and they recommended a premium fuel service. I paid $200 for the maintenance and the other work was covered under my extended warranty. Less than 2 weeks later its worse than when I brought it and I'm out the $200. Ive done everything by the book. All service and maintenance from the dealer. What I want now is for Chevrolet to buy back this piece of junk. Im extremely unhappy with my car. Chevrolet needs to take care of this or there needs to be a class action law suit. This is just ridiculous !!!
    This has to be a VERY stressful experience for you as the owner of the 2nd Chevrolet Equinox! ------ Lets look at the facts about this vehicle. ---- 1st, the track record of this vehicle since 2010 has been very poor! ---- 2nd, GM and the dealers know about the problems with this vehicle! ---- 3rd, GM and the dealers continue to sell this vehicle to people! ---- 4th, GM must be reading these postings! ---- 5th, there has NOT been any improvement with regards to warranty service and customer relations! ---- You want GM and the dealer to buy this vehicle back! That sounds like a good suggestion, but you will take a bath financially because they will not give you the full value of the vehicle. ---- The important questions are; ---- why can't they repair the vehicle? ---- Why can't they trouble shoot the vehicle? ---- Do they want to fix the vehicle? ---- You mentioned in your posting that you were almost killed pulling out into traffic. ---- This could be a VERY BIG issue should someone get killed and / or injured, and the attorney uses the postings on this site as proof of defective vehicles. ----- You see in life, what goes around does come around. It might take a long time but eventually, poor performance and poor quality, and poor customer service will bite you in the rear! ---- That is just the way life works. ---- I almost purchased a new 2010 Equinox. If it had a "power seat on the passenger side" I would have owned one, but I purchased a 2010 LTZ Malibu! ----- It is one thing to produce a poor quality vehicle, and it is another thing to demonstrate poor customer service. ------ All the best! ----- Dwayne
  • della4della4 Member Posts: 2
    Dwayne thank you for replying. I should NOT have to purchase an overpriced extended warranty! GM/Chevrolet needs to RECALL the 2011 Equinox.
    They are JUNK and everyone knows it. Does it take someone getting killed because it stalls in traffic due to a bad engine before this happens? I want someone from GM to contact me or I am calling 9News in Denver and have them look into this issue.
    I understand your problem, but the reality is that no one cares about the issues. --- As vehicle customers, ---- we are all numbers! ----- We are expendable! ---- They have our money! ------ If you get on "9 news" you might get some attention, or they might just ignore you! ------ It is a numbers game. ---- If it costs more to fix all these vehicles, as opposed to taking a hit on not selling future vehicles, ---- they will not fix the vehicles. ----- When I was much younger, my father purchased a NEW 1964 Chevrolet 283 V8 Station Wagon that was the vehicle from hell! ---- I was in a technology program in college, and I used this vehicle to transport my projects to and from school. ---- (The vehicle came with a one year / 12,000 mile warranty and no extended warranty was available in those days.) From day one, the 283 had weak valve springs in the engine. ----- Off idle the engine would bounce in the vehicle. The dealer did nothing! --- We ran that car for 60,000 miles, and I traded it for a 1968 Ford! ----- It had 60,000 miles. During that time, we did a valve job, and we replaced the power-glide transmission, and yes the vehicle was served by the book at the dealer.----- The vehicle also had a tracking problem in side winds. ----- (I solved the problem by running the rear tires with 2 additional pounds of air than the front tires.) ---- The bottom line is that the quality of the vehicle was very poor! ----- My father had a "top of the line 1962 Impala" with a 283 V8 that was fully loaded with a three speed manual trans. This vehicle had a clutch that only "chattered in reverse" when the vehicle was hot, and backing up a slight hill. The dealer could never find the problem. (Over the years we replaced motor and transmission mounts, the complete clutch assembly and all the universal joints, and the dealer never solved the problem.) ----- All the best. ---- Dwayne
  • seriously2seriously2 Member Posts: 1
    If there is a class action, please let me know. I am bringing it in for a recall next week. Oil life monitor software, I was down 2quarts and didn't know and car states still 55% oil life. What if I need a new motor? It is making a piston noise. They also stated I may fall under special coverage for timing chain-engine balance, fuel, and pump. If the diagnostics say nothing, then I have to pay for it out of pocket. I don't have that cash for the test, nor a new motor. My first newer car, it's a 2011 and I have had it only a few months. Not a happy camper here. Any advice will be helpful. They should be liable if there is motor wear since no lights or warnings came on
  • sma1sma1 Member Posts: 20
    Have them monitor your vehicle for oil consumption. Took 18 months and many free rentals cuz they couldn't figure out my equinox. It took one mechanic who did my oil change to discover that the was a problem.
    seriously2:

A "Class Action law suit" requires someone to start the process. Most people who have this problem vehicle do not have the money to fix the vehicle, let alone start a law suit! And here in lies the problem! ---- The vehicle manufacturers understand this concept VERY WELL. ------ For "justice to be served" it would take a person with money who could put their problem vehicle into storage, hire a "high priced attorney" along with the necessary automotive experts, and initiate the "legal / media / public relations process" whereby the longer it takes for the manufacturer to repair, replace and / or purchase back the vehicle, the more "NEGATIVE PRESS" hits the "media world" thus eating into the manufacturer's new vehicle sales figures! ----- You see to get their attention, the customer base must hit the vehicle manufacturer's where it hurst, and that place is in NEW vehicle sales! ------- No vehicle manufacturer, be it foreign or domestic, cares about the individual customer. The only time they demonstrate their concern is when there is an "issue" with a large group of customers, and their sales are taking a hit! ---- When Toyota was having a problem with their "unintended acceleration issue" my wife and I attended the N.Y. Auto Show. Since we own both a GM and Toyota vehicles we stopped at the Toyota display. We spoke to a factory representative about the new vehicles. She asked us if we were interested in a new Toyota. My wife respond YES, but we only want the one with the "unintended acceleration package," because "that package" makes it easy to operate the vehicle since we DO NOT have to press on the accelerator! ----- The factory representative did not know what to say! ---- Point made! ---- All the best. Dwayne
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Your point is well taken. I remember a number of years ago an owner questioned the odometer reading on his vehicle (I believe it was a Honda or Mercedes). The owner had two vehicles, one from the manufacturer in question, and the other from another manufacturer. He drove from point A to point B on different occasions using each vehicle. He found that the vehicle in question was registering a greater distance. He asked friends who travelled the same route to record the mileage. Sure enough the mileage matched his other vehicle but not the vehicle in question. This may sound trivial but what it means is that the vehicle's warranty expires in a shorter period of time. The transmission failed on the vehicle in question a few hundred miles over the limit. He argued the mileage was overstated and that the vehicle was within the warranty's mileage limit. The manufacturer tried to blow him off but they picked the wrong guy for this fight because he was a litigation attorney and was obviously financially well off. He organized the class action suit himself. Eventually, the manufacturer had to extend the warranties for all owners.
  • dxesimn4dxesimn4 Member Posts: 1

I've had several issues with my 2011 chevrolet equinox since I purchased new in September 2010. The most recent issue after paying $300.00 for the timing chain and policy issues repairs a week ago. This past weekend my car starting shaking and flashed a message "engine reducing power" and something about the stabili. This happened while parked at the high school waiting on my daughter. Also, on the way to Church this morning the car did the same thing as mentioned above 3 times, but this happened while driving down the road. We had to pull over and restart the car. We were praying we would make it to Church and we did. This vehicle has given me problems since about 2 months after I purchased. Does anyone have any advice?

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

@dxesimn4 said:
    I've had several issues with my 2011 chevrolet equinox since I purchased new in September 2010. The most recent issue after paying $300.00 for the timing chain and policy issues repairs a week ago. This past weekend my car starting shaking and flashed a message "engine reducing power" and something about the stabili. This happened while parked at the high school waiting on my daughter. Also, on the way to Church this morning the car did the same thing as mentioned above 3 times, but this happened while driving down the road. We had to pull over and restart the car. We were praying we would make it to Church and we did. This vehicle has given me problems since about 2 months after I purchased. Does anyone have any advice?

Hello dxesimn4,

I apologize that you've experienced these issues with your Equinox. I understand your frustration and would like to try and assist with your current concerns. Can you please private message us your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and the name of the dealership you've been working with? We'd like to work on contacting them to see what options are available to you towards addressing your current vehicle concern.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• kibbles991kibbles991 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2014
     I've had my 2011 Equinox for almost three years now, never had any issues until just the other

day. aside from the vehicle getting poor gas mileage my wife had an issue the other day which
    appears to be common amongst other owners. Traveling on the roadway heading towards the
    highway the car began to idle rough and stalled out without warning. She lost power steering
    and died in the middle of the road. She was able to get it running but it died quickly thereafter,
    then the engine light comes on and it dies again. Third time it died she was lucky enough to get
    it in a parking lot. Had it towed to the dealer and they called later that day and said all set come
    pick it up, just needed an oil change. When we questioned the engine failure then the service
    manager told us it was 2 1/2 quarts low on oil. The manager set us up to return every 500 miles
    for them to check the oil level. Talk about an inconvenience. Driving home the engine ran
    rough again and began shifting abruptly and the tachometer jumped to 6000-7000 rpm's on the highway. The following day all the lights on the dash lit up and the engine ran rough but
    didn't stall out.
    We returned today and the mechanic agreed there was a problem but would have to do a
    diagnostic check to see what's up. He did tell the manager that the vehicle definitely had a
    safety issue and told him to give us a rental, so I appreciate his honesty. The vehicle is at the dealership and we are awaiting some info on its condition. I see many others out there
    with similar issues. after all said and done was the issue fixed or did it have problems
    continuously after the repair. thanks for any info.

• bobbyseebobbysee Member Posts: 1

I own a 2011 Equinox purchased used in Oct 2013. I definitely have loved every minute of having it until the day before yesterday when without warning while slowing down to stop for stopped traffic at a traffic light my car went completely dead. There were no lights on the dash, the motor stopped running and fortunately I was able to coast the car to the right shoulder of the road. I had to put the car in park, removed the key from the ignition switch, reinserted it and restarted the car. It almost mirrors the problem GM is having with the Cobalt and a few of their other vehicles. With that in mind, after restarting my Equinox I jiggled the ignition switch with the key to see if I could duplicate the problem. The car continued to run and I drove home without any more such incidents. The following day I took the car to the local Chevy dealer and they ran a diagnostics check which turned up no faults found. Since the power went completely off the computer was also off and therefore no faults were recorded. I am now scared to drive it thinking what would have happened had I been on the interstate traveling at 70 mph? Without the power I had no power steering or brakes and in all likelihood the air bags if needed would not have deployed. I have just turned 37000 miles on the odometer, 3000 of those since I have owned it. The ironic thing about this is I traded in a Cobalt to purchase it before we, the public, were aware of the Cobalt power problems. I drove the cobalt putting 101000 miles on it with only one problem. Shortly after purchasing it I was driving in the dark during a heavy rain storm and my headlights and tail lights cut off. It's not something I would wish to do again. I was able to make it home and the next day took it to the dealership where they ran a diagnostics check and had to replace the electronic control module (ECM). Since the replacement of the ECM I never had another problem with it. It was a good little car with great fuel mileage and I knew prior to purchasing the Equinox that I would be giving up the economy which I had become so accustomed to.

I now wonder if the problem which GM is currently having with the Cobalt is actually being caused by the ignition switch. It is cheaper and quicker to replace the ignition switch than it is to replace a ECM. I guess only time will tell as the ignition switches are replaced to see if the problem still exists.

In the meantime I now have a car that I thought I would love but am quite hesitant to drive it. I had planned on using it for some long trips this summer but now wonder if I should rent a non-GM vehicle to make those trips or to get rid if the Equinox for something more dependable.

• fredweddfredwedd Member Posts: 1

Everyone,

Last year I brought a new 2013 Equinox for my wife. Just a few days ago we she states the car is jerking while idling and sounds rough. So yesterday, I actually drove the vehicle to see what she was referring to. I did notice that the car sounded rough (like one person posted, pennies in a can), and also was jerking when I came to a stop after riding for a while.

I wasn't able to read through all the comments left here on this blog, but can anyone give me some advise in reference to this?

Hello fredwedd,

We are sorry to hear of the concerns you and your wife are experiencing with your 2013 Chevrolet Equinox. I understand that you are seeking the advice of your fellow forum members and we may not be able to provide any technical advice. However, I'd be happy to reach out to your dealership on your behalf about your concerns with your vehicle jerking while in idle. Please reach out to me via email at [email protected] Attn:Andraya if any additional assistance is needed.

Thank you,

Andraya R.
    GM Customer Care

• brokenanjelbrokenanjel Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2014

The question is when is the company going to recall the vehicles?? We are all complaining about the same issues and the model range is 2010-2013 Equinoxs! So obviously the company has to be well aware of the issues...and have not done anything to completely resolve the issue in existing models or correct the newer ones. This to me says a lot about the company. This was my first Chevrolet and this will be my last. I am highly upset with the fact that I struggle to work and go to school and bought a new car that has done nothing but cost me extra money and almost my life! My car suddenly died at a stop light a few months ago, then started up as if nothing was wrong, I took it to my Mechanic and found I had no oil. On my way to the Mechanic it died as I was turning at a 3-way stop, and obviously the vehicle coming from the opposite direction was expecting me to keep moving! I took it to the dealership after explaining the problem...they SUPPOSEDLY fixed the issue and said their was a recall on the vehicle and I just needed the software updated. Everything was fine for a few months...and guess what?! Last month I checked my oil only after a few weeks of getting an oil change because I was taking a road trip...I HAD NO OIL...no oil light or anything came on. So again I have to go deal with the morons at my dealership that can't seem to find the problem and only want to charge me for this and that extra services...and get moody when I refuse. My car has also downshifting when it shouldn't be, up shifting when I accelerate causing jerking motions and the engine sounds horrible!

• shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160

Wow! Sure sounds to me like the majority of these vehicles should have NEVER left the assembly line!

• ksm633ksm633 Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2011 Chevy Equinox. I have had the exact same problem as many others. I got the car for my daughter. It was a company car my wife had, so we have had it since new. It now has 78,000 miles so we bought it outright for her. It has stalled out twice now, and it has no oil. This last time it shut off in the middle of an intersection. I had to go get her. I checked and it had almost no oil. I put in 3 quarts to bring it up to where it registered. It had just had the oil changed two weeks prior. I drove it straight to dealer, and they told me I would have to have an oil consumption test. I was also told that a quart of oil every 2000 miles was acceptable. I would have to pay for the oil change and bring it back in 1000 miles. I told them it had now happened twice in the last few months, and we just had the oil changed. No help. I called GM, and got through to a division supervisor. I told them of the excessive oil usage, and how I had read post after post online about this problem. She said GM had never heard of the problem, and there was nothing could be done. I told her a car just shutting down in an intersection was dangerous, and there was no way a car should be using that much oil. No help what so ever. The car was out of warranty, and told me to have a nice day. I would be glad to join in a class action law suit against GM. These cars have a problem, and one of the mechanics told me they know it, but won't admit it, as they aren't sure what it is. I will never buy another Chevy product in my lifetime.
  • ksm633ksm633 Member Posts: 3
    GM said they weren't aware of any issue with the 2011 Equinox, but when I went on line about the oil usage I found page after page after page of complaints. Same problem. Just all lights on dash shut off, and engine shuts down, and there is very little oil. This is after changing oil two weeks prior. She told me nobody has ever called and complained, and they weren't going to go by a bunch of internet post. Has nobody else called? The number is 1-800-222-1020. Make your voice heard. Tell them about the problems with this car.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    ksm633 said:

Have a 2011 Chevy Equinox. I have had the exact same problem as many others. I got the car for my daughter. It was a company car my wife had, so we have had it since new. It now has 78,000 miles so we bought it outright for her. It has stalled out twice now, and it has no oil. This last time it shut off in the middle of an intersection. I had to go get her. I checked and it had almost no oil. I put in 3 quarts to bring it up to where it registered. It had just had the oil changed two weeks prior. I drove it straight to dealer, and they told me I would have to have an oil consumption test. I was also told that a quart of oil every 2000 miles was acceptable. I would have to pay for the oil change and bring it back in 1000 miles. I told them it had now happened twice in the last few months, and we just had the oil changed. No help. I called GM, and got through to a division supervisor. I told them of the excessive oil usage, and how I had read post after post online about this problem. She said GM had never heard of the problem, and there was nothing could be done. I told her a car just shutting down in an intersection was dangerous, and there was no way a car should be using that much oil. No help what so ever. The car was out of warranty, and told me to have a nice day. I would be glad to join in a class action law suit against GM. These cars have a problem, and one of the mechanics told me they know it, but won't admit it, as they aren't sure what it is. I will never buy another Chevy product in my lifetime.

I would be checking the oil level everytime you get fuel (should be doing that once in a while anyway) and if it goes down to much take it back and have dealer check it (even if before the 1000 mile mark). If there is a problem with your particualr vehicle it should still be under the 100k mile power train warranty.

• hrdz7275hrdz7275 Member Posts: 1
    In May of 2013 I purchased a 2011 Chevy Equinox LT , after my 2001 Kia Optima finally died after 12 years. I drive a lot for work as an example one day I could be in South Texas, two days later in West Texas, three days after that I could be in East Texas, it was time to get a bigger vehicle vehicle that was comfortable and affordable. If I would have known all the problems that this model has, I would not have purchased it, I would have stayed with Kia.
    I have experienced the same problems as described shifting hard once or twice and the rattle when running and the loud clank clank starting up. 
    In July 2013 had the the timing belt replaced didn't fix the problem. 
    I thought oh it is just the way it is. Then this year it would just die, while idling at a light. It was time for an oil change, had the oil changed, but it was a temporary fix. 
    Then suddenly on my way back home from my parents recovering after knee surgery. It just died while driving at 65 miles, would not start, had to call a tow company and have it towed over 70 miles to my mechanic and he ran the diagnostics and found that a rod in the engine came loose and has been like that for a while now and it finally threw the rod and have to replace the engine.  My mechanic has told me that that the 2011 is the only one like this. Not only the engine problems but having issues with the AC as well. 
    I just found out about the steering issues and will have that fixed as soon as I get it back from having the engine replaced. Talking to an attorney to see about getting a lawsuit against GM just to recover the money I am having to spend. 

• bribombbribomb Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 2011 chevy equinox since April 2014. In that time I have had three major fixes. I have always owned a chevy, but not sure anymore. Very disappointed. This was supposed to be our reliable vehicle. Already had issues with dirty oil occurring very fast, cam shaft replacement, and now fuel pump. I need to get rid of it!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter would like to speak to a owner of a car that has had a recall issued, and would like to share their feelings on the high number of recalls that have been issued this year. If you'd like to share your story with a reporter, please contact [email protected] no later than Tuesday, 12/23 at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• obnoxiouschevyobnoxiouschevy Member Posts: 3
    I bought my Equinox with about 35,000 miles one year and four days ago. I drive alot so it hit 70,000 miles last week. It does have the "excess tension in the steering" issue that Chevy sent me a letter about, but not an active recall so I'm struggling to get the dealer to look at or fix it. Besides it not being an open recall, it's not a constant problem so they may not even be able to recreate it. All of that is a side note really to what happened yesterday. I have noticed it shifting a bit roughly from time to time but was told that the eco-boost sometimes causes them to shift differently and since it wasn't that frequent or that severe I didn't think too much about it. But leaving work yesterday as I was in traffic and slowed down almost to a stop the car started to buck and jerk and slip in and out of neutral. I had to cycle it through all the gears several times to get it into first gear. I immediately called my dealership and told them what was happening and that I was on my way. I got it there, but only barely. The last few miles of the drive it was randomly making a high pitched whining noise and slipping into neutral and with about a mile to go it dropped into 2nd gear and wouldn't shift. I limped that last mile at 20mph with my flashers on. One minute it was fine, the next minute the transmission was shot. I've got four more years of payments on this thing and now I have transmission issues!?! I'm very disappointed. I am really starting to wish I'd kept my G6 GT or, better yet, walked away from GM entirely.
    Good Morning obnoxiouschevy,

I'm so sorry that you've encountered these difficulties with your Equinox! I can certainly understand how disappointed you must be. Has the dealership given any updates? If there is anything that we can do to offer our support please don't hesitate to reach out via email at [email protected] and reference this post.

Hope you have an enjoyable New Year!

Jonathan A.
    GM Customer Care
    yes, I do have an update Jonathan. They had to completely rebuild the transmission. I got it out of the shop last Wednesday and by Saturday the check engine light was on again. Now it's an o2 sensor. It's going to be one problem after another with this car. I was basically told by my service manager that, yes, GM does find it acceptable for a 4 year old car with 70,000 miles on it to completely fall apart. Apparently that is the threshold, that is when I should expect my car to fall apart. I am disgusted I guarantee you I will never own another GM product. I wish I didn't own this one!
  • jeffwilliams76jeffwilliams76 Member Posts: 2
    I have had all the same problems that you all have had. excessive oil consumption, loud engine noise, smell of gas during idle, smell of gas all the time, check engine light, and a ton of other problems. I received all of the notices from GM and presented them to my dealer. I got the fuel pump replaced, and all the recalls performed, including the ECU for the oil change timing. I am still having problems with excessive oil usage, reduced gas mileage, smell of gas during idle, loud engine noise, and definitely reduced power. I keep getting the runaround from my dealership, and it is getting old. It is a shame that GM doesnt get more involved with the way that their customers are being treated by the dealerships wearing their logos (that represent them). I don't understand why a dealership wouldnt want to make a customer happy and have their return business. I have read all of these stories about customers getting contacted by GM and given new engine replacements, and credits for repairs... I will believe that when I see it. Unfortunately, at this point, I am definitely losing alot of faith in GM products. Its a shame... Well GM... thanks for nothing. At this point, I am hoping that my Nox is still running by the time I have actually finished buying it from the bank.
  • tdw1954tdw1954 Member Posts: 8
    roykulp said:

I find the chevy Nox drama / issues interesting; how some owners bash, threaten legal action, over-re-acting when the GM Vehical has a 100K bumber to bumber warranty and dealer loaner is provided.

Is that what your salesman told you? LOL

edited February 2015
    Another update on my cruddy car. It has been about a month since having the transmission totally rebuilt, then an o2 sensor replaced days later. The check engine light came on again this past Friday night, couldn't get anyone to pick up the phone or return my call Saturday (yes, they're open) so I had to take MORE time off of work to get it to the dealership Monday where it had a catalytic converter replaced. Took yet more time off to go pick it up today and didn't even make it HOME before the check engine light was on again. I have only had this job for two months and have had to be late or leave early SIX TIMES because of this car. My boss is mad, my job is in jeopardy and my car is a lemon. Well done GM.
  • nomoregm11nomoregm11 Member Posts: 1
    I bought 2 brand new Chevy cars in one visit to a dealership ... a 2011 Chevy Cruze and a 2011 Chevy Equinox. That was the biggest mistake I have ever made. My experience with both cars has been horrible and the service department here in Chase Chevrolet in Stockton, CA is so incompetent, rude and arrogant. At one point the service agent asked me if I know how to read ... WOW!! I spoke with the service manager and it seems that attitude is tolerated. I have escalated several of my issues to corporate GM to no avail. My gripe and experience seems to be consistent with everyone else in this forum. I am a very patient/forgiving person but I think I have had it already. I should have listened to my wife to get rid of both vehicles long time ago and I have decided to do so. I've received so many class-action lawsuit letters on both vehicles and will be exploring that option now.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ouch. You may want to write your experiences up over on Dealer Ratings and Reviews too.
  • lety03lety03 Member Posts: 1
    I am so glad I started researching problem with 2011 Chevy Equinox since I unfortunately own one myself and am currently stranded over two hours away from home because my engine light turned on once again. I bought this car used approximately a year ago and have nothing but problems since I got it. Every time I take it in I am told nothing is wrong with it. I have noticed that the engine sounds like it's gonna fall out when I release the gas and then accelerate again and it happens at random times. The shop wants me to make it happen but there is no making it happen so it's as if they don't believe me and just tell me nothing is wrong. On top of that they have told me maybe it's the gas I put in it which I have used Mobil and now switched to chevron supreme taking their advice that still hasn't made the problem go away. When the engine light when on maybe a month after I got it well of course it was something that wasn't covered under warranty. My car seems to be in the shop more than I could even enjoy it. I am so frustrated that I feel Chevy won the battle because I don't have time to constantly leave my car in the shop. I have a job that requires a lot of driving and to leave my car and have to pay monthly payments and also have to rent a car is a complete disappointment because this is money out of my pocket. So as I sit here trying to figure out how I am to come up with more money for towing for over 200 miles I wish I had never bought this car in the first place. I have about 10000 more miles left before my warranty is up and yet I bet for whatever reason the engine light is on again that it will be for something that isn't going to be covered once again. What a disaster this car has caused for me! So for those who are reading these reviews I suggest you stay away from buying this kind of vehicle before you end up in my position. Payments on a car and unable to drive it or depend on it to take you anywhere. Complete disappointment!!!
    lety03 said:

I am so glad I started researching problem with 2011 Chevy Equinox since I unfortunately own one myself and am currently stranded over two hours away from home because my engine light turned on once again. I bought this car used approximately a year ago and have nothing but problems since I got it. Every time I take it in I am told nothing is wrong with it. I have noticed that the engine sounds like it's gonna fall out when I release the gas and then accelerate again and it happens at random times. The shop wants me to make it happen but there is no making it happen so it's as if they don't believe me and just tell me nothing is wrong. On top of that they have told me maybe it's the gas I put in it which I have used Mobil and now switched to chevron supreme taking their advice that still hasn't made the problem go away. When the engine light when on maybe a month after I got it well of course it was something that wasn't covered under warranty. My car seems to be in the shop more than I could even enjoy it. I am so frustrated that I feel Chevy won the battle because I don't have time to constantly leave my car in the shop. I have a job that requires a lot of driving and to leave my car and have to pay monthly payments and also have to rent a car is a complete disappointment because this is money out of my pocket. So as I sit here trying to figure out how I am to come up with more money for towing for over 200 miles I wish I had never bought this car in the first place. I have about 10000 more miles left before my warranty is up and yet I bet for whatever reason the engine light is on again that it will be for something that isn't going to be covered once again. What a disaster this car has caused for me! So for those who are reading these reviews I suggest you stay away from buying this kind of vehicle before you end up in my position. Payments on a car and unable to drive it or depend on it to take you anywhere. Complete disappointment!!!

Hello Lety03,

We truly apologize for this, and completely understand your frustrations. You have the right to a reliable vehicle and we always strive to produce a vehicle to meet those needs. We would be more than happy to look into this further for you, and provide the best possible assistance. Please send us an e-mail at [email protected] along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care
  • avoight1975avoight1975 Member Posts: 1
    You know, After reading all of the problems other owners are having with their 2011 Chevy Equinox, which are all the same problems I have had with mine, I am seriously thinking about trading mine. Even if that means I will be upside down in another vehicle. I have a hour and a half commute every day in stop and go traffic, plus I have a small child with me usually. This car has already crapped out on my once with the little one with me. I don't want to risk my car stalling again in a place worse than the first time.

You know, After reading all of the problems other owners are having with their 2011 Chevy Equinox, which are all the same problems I have had with mine, I am seriously thinking about trading mine. Even if that means I will be upside down in another vehicle. I have a hour and a half commute every day in stop and go traffic, plus I have a small child with me usually. This car has already crapped out on my once with the little one with me. I don't want to risk my car stalling again in a place worse than the first time.

Hi avoight1975,

We certainly understand how your past vehicle experience may cause you to consider trading your Chevy Equinox. Please know that your loyalty is very important to us and we sincerely apologize for the difficulty you've experienced. If you haven't already worked with your local Chevy dealership we'd like to get in contact with them for you. They work as our eyes and ears in the field and are in the best position to inspect your vehicle and determine what needs repair. If you'd like to give this a try please message us your VIN and contact information, along with your mileage and primary dealership name. We hope to hear from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Hi Avoight1975:

I have been following this issue for a long time. (I almost purchased a 2010 Equinox, but because it did not have a power seat on the passenger side, I purchased a 2010 LTZ Malibu). The Equinox has a 2.4 Direct Injection Engine, and the Malibu has a 2.4 Non-Direct Injection Engine. Here in lies the problem! The Equinox has a fuel pump problem that destroys the engine, because it allows raw fuel to enter the engine oil! (Check previous postings on this board!)

I would not take the "financial hit" for this condition! I would professionally encourage GM and the selling dealer to make the correct repairs. I would contact a "lemon law attorney" even though you might be out of warranty!

This lack of concern on the part of GM is VERY unprofessional! This action is going to cost them future sales in the Equinox line of vehicles. (What goes around does come around!)

My Malibu is coming to the end of the GM 100,000 miles extended warranty, and I am now in the market for a replacement vehicle. While my Malibu has been a great vehicle, I am going to think "long and hard" about purchasing another GM vehicle. My vehicles are my office, and I cannot have a vehicle with this kind of issue! ----- Personally, I do not think GM really cares about their customers. If they did, they would take "pro-active action" on this issue! Most of these Equinox vehicles need a replacement engine, due to the damage caused by the fuel pump. Cylinder walls, piston rings, and bearing have been compromised by diluted oil with gasoline. These engines now are "oil pumpers!" QUESTION: How many of these defective vehicles are on the used car lots throughout the United States just waiting for the next victim!

All the best to everyone!

Dwayne

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I don't really know if it is GM not caring about their customers, or more GM not having the engineering capability to fix some of their vehicle issues? Otherwise, why would the issues like this or Stabilitrak continue on from model year to model year? Usually auto companies resolve issues within a couple of model years when they occur.
  • sc2011equinoxsc2011equinox Member Posts: 8

I purchased my Equinox in 2012, due to a lot of traveling I managed to run up the mileage to 111,000 miles. I recently moved SC, last weekend I took a weekend visit to Savannah GA, on the way home my Equinox dashed lite up like a Christmas tree..check engine light, service stabilizing engine power reduced. I was stranded on the side of the highway about 2 hours from home and after 1:00 pm on a Saturday which meant all the Chevy dealer service departments in the area were closed until Monday. I was forced to pay $350 to get it towed home. The following Monday I called the nearest Chevy dealer service department and I was told the earliest they could get it in would be Thursday. I called Firestone auto service and they were able to look at it right away, they ran a diagnostic and 8 different codes popped up. Their service tech determined it had something to do with a cam shaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, time chain and some other thing they aren't able to work on.they suggested I have it towed to the Chevy dealer and I was told the earliest they can see it will be Friday. Does any one know what's going on with models and how much will this cost me? I WAS a Chevy fan and up until now I loved the equinox...but depending on the outcome of this whole thing I may change my mind and tell everyone I meet to stay away...I hope Chevy does the right thing and correct the problem under warranty.
    UPDATE: After a couple of days at the Chevy service shop the techs said the timing chain, cam actuator, gaskets and valve cover all need replacing..and it's not covered under warranty.meaning it's going to cost $1569!!! I checked out the NHTSA website, there are several complaints on this very issue dating back to 2011 (see NHTSA ID# 10430919; 10437891; 10499684 & 10413320) this is a problem they've known about for several years and no one issued a recall? There was a service bulletin for the camshaft actuator solenoid (bulletin #11195A)not sure if this had anything to do with it. I contacted the GM service rep. via email, she replied, said she will look into it and see if there's anything that can be done I hope something can be done, I really enjoy my Equinox and I hope Chevy can do right and take care of this known defect at no charge. I strongly believe in buying American Made products and Chevy is about as American as you can get...I hope the do right and stand by their product
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I hope GM covers at least part of the bill. That's a pretty new car to have crap like that happen already. If they don't, after it's fixed you might want to take a look at an Ohio built Honda CRV. They consistently show good reliability numbers in everything from JD Powers to Consumer Reports.

UPDATE: After a couple of days at the Chevy service shop the techs said the timing chain, cam actuator, gaskets and valve cover all need replacing..and it's not covered under warranty.meaning it's going to cost $1569!!! I checked out the NHTSA website, there are several complaints on this very issue dating back to 2011 (see NHTSA ID# 10430919; 10437891; 10499684 & 10413320) this is a problem they've known about for several years and no one issued a recall? There was a service bulletin for the camshaft actuator solenoid (bulletin #11195A)not sure if this had anything to do with it. I contacted the GM service rep. via email, she replied, said she will look into it and see if there's anything that can be done I hope something can be done, I really enjoy my Equinox and I hope Chevy can do right and take care of this known defect at no charge. I strongly believe in buying American Made products and Chevy is about as American as you can get...I hope the do right and stand by their product

Hi Sc2011equinox,

We truly apologize for the outcome, and can understand how frustrating this may seem for you! Feel free to send us an e-mail to [email protected] along with your VIN and case #. We would be more than happy to investigate this further, and notify your agent. We look forward to your response!

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care
    Patsy,
    Thank you for replying but I've already emailed my information to Marlea W. twice and I haven't heard back yet.
  • bdavila33bdavila33 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 chevy equinox. I've had problems within the first year I bought it of rattling, and stalling. This is the 3rd time in shop and four technicians are working on it but can't even find what the problem is. I'm so tired of always having to loss wages and ride because they can't fix it, and they never help with a loaner and neither does GM. The only difference is that know they are finally admitting they can't find a fix for the car. It is constantly stalling and the engine is burning the oil like crazy. I have been receiving the run around from GM even after they know they have this problem with the 2011 chevy equinoxes. I feel they are waiting for my warranty to expire to wipe there hands clean. I'm looking into hiring a lawyer know since I have already given them three times to fix this problem.
  • herb1eoneherb1eone Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of a civil lawsuit against GM for the issue with this product? I just had this vehicle destroy its timing and all the valves in the head while GM was conducting their oil loss investigation. Now the dealer is stating the oil loss issue had nothing to do with the engine failure and wants 5300.00 for a new engine due to it is no longer under warranty. Do not buy a 2011 Equinox you will be disappointed with the service and engine issues.
  • auntie2011auntie2011 Member Posts: 1
    I have been hearing a grinding metal noise when my 4cyl 2011 equinox is shifting up. Any ideas on what is causing this? 
  • herb1eoneherb1eone Member Posts: 2
    auntie2011 yes its your timing chain going out. I just had to replace my engine for the same issue. Ensure your invoices are correct or you will get taken for an engine at the cost of 5300.00 GM does not care...