Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 GMC Canyon Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in GMC
image2015 GMC Canyon Road Test | Edmunds.com

We test the all-new 2015 GMC Canyon, which returns to the compact pickup truck segment after a two-year absence.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    piredonpiredon Member Posts: 50
    $40,000 for a less than full size pickup. Damn
  • Options
    herrstreetherrstreet Member Posts: 27
    Yeah but there are a lot more things that they have to pack in a truck than 10 years ago. There is a good, honest middle ground there and it's probably going to be low/mid 30s with enough options to feel pampered. I can't imagine this isn't a lot nicer to drive than a full-size. It's also very nice looking.
  • Options
    themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    Poorly integrated rear bumper
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Looks fairly good all around. My one gripe would be the front end. It looks too heavy for the rest of the truck's proportions. I'd reduce the size of the grille, remove the lower fascia, and use a visually stronger bumper.
  • Options
    csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    When is Edmonds going to get one for the long term fleet?
  • Options
    bub11bub11 Member Posts: 2
    What a nice truck, too bad its rendered useless because of the low front bumper. All those goodies over what a Tacoma has and I still bought a Tacoma. Lots of cars that Chevy sells has all the same features except for a box, if I wanted a car, I would buy a car, I wanted a midsized truck so I bought a Tacoma. GMC and Chev always build good El-Caminos, they have never made an actual midsize truck. Don't know why its called a truck with a bumper that low, its El Camino

Nice job "wind engineers" keep saving that fuel so us truck owners are limited to the blacktop and riding South for the winters, unfortunately I don't have those options, so I bought a Tacoma.
  • Options
    hdluffyhdluffy Member Posts: 12
    wow the shifter reminds me of my 2001 Sunfires.
  • Options
    aerodaxaerodax Member Posts: 9
    bub11 - the air dam is removable.
  • Options
    bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44
    Hey look, they're recycling reviews now! What a lazy shadow of its former self this website has become. Generic formulaic reviews dumbed down for the masses of the web who know nothing about cars or enthusiast prose. Little engagement with readers. Poor usability from an enthusiast AND a consumer perspective. This site is obviously no longer otriented to the enthusiast... we get it. But from a usability perspective it's also pretty awful for just regular consumers who probably could care less about half the content, the hard to find forums, etc. It's like you guys want ot straddle the middle but as a result you're now poor at both things. Oh and your TMV values stink (I've beaten every one in negotiations by wekk into the four figures). Just sad. Oh "Inside Line" where have you gone? :/
  • Options
    bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44
    And still no edit button to correct my spelling errors. :P (wekk = well, ot = to)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2014
    If you mouse over to the top right of your post, you should see a gear icon. Click that and an edit button should appear. You have four hours to edit your post.
  • Options
    mt_blue_linemt_blue_line Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone with some experience behind the wheel of a Canyon/Colorado tell me if GM has accurately centered the gauge cluster and steering wheel with the driver's seat? I am a Toyota guy, but have been very impressed with what I've read and seen on the internet. I still haven't gotten time to find one locally (I live in a very remote area of Montana).

It may seem petty, but if it's not I won't consider buying the truck. In this day of massive technological gains, and supposed attention to detail and ergonomics, I find it very hard to believe that GM can't get a gauge cluster/steering wheel centered in the 2014/2015 full size trucks (which I'm also very impressed with).
  • Options
    biffdotorgbiffdotorg Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2014
    That comment threw me off. After owning a 2004 and 2008 Colorado with bucket seats and driving the 2015 Canyon with bucket seats, I have not experienced it being off centered.

I also own a 2012 Sierra 1500 and have not seen this. The steering wheel on all have been tilt, and are also available as telescopic, so moving the wheel around to nearly any position is possible. I can't imagine why a person would think that these are the least bit not centered to the driver through as the gauges have to line up to the opening in he wheel perfectly to be able to see them.

I mentioned I had bucket seats in the Colorado's as it lines the driver up perfectly. My Sierra, on the other hand, has the convertible bench up front with the tip down console. That console seemed huge when I first purchased the truck. And I though it crowded the driver. But now after 3 years of owning it, I have come to the conclusion that it was just larger than the Colorado I was used to. I have no issues with the controls or gauges in it either.

Unless I had one butt-cheek that was incredibly larger than the other, I don't see how this could be off-centered. What was it, the Toyota Prius, or one of those imports that had the gauges in the center of the dash? Please don't take my tone the wrong way, as you have experienced something that leads you to believe GM has failed in the past. But I am truly curious as to what it was.
  • Options
    leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I currently have a 2005 Canyon 4x4 "regular" cab, and have been reasonably well satisfied with it. However, despite only 45,000 miles on it's clock, after 10 years of ownership I feel like having a new truck. No particular reason, "just because".

I'm very disappointed, however, that GM is not offering the new Canyon/Collie twins in a regular cab configuration. I realize that my particular situation might be a bit unique, but I have a limited amount of space in my garage. I'm "shoehorning" both my wife's car, my car, and the truck, which primarily is my winter driver, in a 24 foot wide garage. The Canyon perfectly fits the space I have. My need is a fairly narrow vehicle, and I've grown used to the utility of a pick-up, as well as the 4 wheel drive for tackling the snow. And I don't like the visual proportions of an extended cab truck. Therefore, I was looking forward to the new Canyons, but it turned out to be a big disappointment, when they declined to offer a regular cab version.

I'm now looking into mid-sized SUVs, but not with a lot of enthusiasm. It seems funny, but as much as a "car guy" as I am, and as much as I enjoy getting a new vehicle, this time I'm not looking forward to making a purchase. And I'm not trying to "punish" GM, by looking at other makes, but the current GM "cross-overs" don't appeal to me, and the full sized pick ups or SUVs simply won't fit in the space I have. As my choices narrow down, it might reluctantly be a Jeep Grand Cherokee, as the next resident in my garage.
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited February 2015
    Apparently the disappearance of regular cab configurations will be industry-wide and is due to fed rules regarding mpg divided by cab footprint, relating to CAFE. Not sure if HD/heavyweight pickups are excluded - probably not!
    - The question about off-center speedo is vs driver's seat is funny - reminds me of my 1977/2nd-gen firebirds. how many gm cars were like that? :)
    - ...how about adding a click-button on the posts so we can vote to see who is the #1 crankiest edmunds poster ever?
    - The best configuration for GMC canyon looks like the 2WD stickshift at $23k ... It's on my short list!
  • Options
    townestownes Member Posts: 1
    Purchased new 4x4 SLT Canyon on Christmas eve. After just over 3500 miles, I Absolutely love it! My only complaint - Homelink is not available.