Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited December 2014
    nyccarguy said:

@breld‌

I didn't realize you were using the Odyssey as your primary vehicle. I have no doubt that Sedona Minivan is nice, but it would have to be WAAAAAY cheaper ($5K rebate plus $5K off sticker) than the comparable Odyssey or Sienna for me to even consider it. Resale is also a consideration, especially if you decide "it's not for you" in a year.

I've seen a few Durangos more than usual on the road over the past week. I like them. Very manly! V8 is a big plus.

Well, I wouldn't say the Odyssey is my primary driver - the 535xi serves that role. Basically, every other weekend, we have all four kids at home, and naturally we need the Odyssey those weekends, and I leave the BMW at the office garage. So, every other weekend and any other time we need the hauling capability, the Ody is mine.

So, one idea was to buy a Durango to replace both the BMW and Odyssey - something "manly" that still serves the 3 row need. So - we could get down to 3 cars for 3 drivers :o . And then eventually fill that fourth slot with a true "fun" car. :p

Problem is, I do like the Durango better than the Ody, but I fear I would really miss the 5-series. While it may not be as dynamic as past BMWs, it nevertheless is a great ride and serves the commute very well.

So, second option is to keep the 5, and "upgrade" the Ody to something I like better for when I do drive it. Keep in mind, my boys go to school and play sports about 35 miles away from my house. So there are days, particularly on the weekends with baseball and such, that I am in the car for in excess of 100 miles and 2-3 hours a day. So, I got my wife's sympathy, and she's all for me doing some sort of upgrade. And we agree, if I'm keeping the 5 for my primary driver, no sense in compromising the family hauler (i.e., minivan is better than an SUV).

In any case, like you, I have certainly been noticing Durangos on the road lately, since I've been lusting after them. A Hemi version would indeed be awesome - and I would strongly consider that if it were replacing the BMW.

And yes, intuitively, I would expect some level of savings on a Kia versus the Honda. Or at least getting better value - i.e., more features and options for the same money. Surprisingly, the lease residual value is the same for both - but the Kia's money rate is much higher than Honda's.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,363
    edited December 2014
    Found a low mile Boss 302 just up the road; a couple of my automotive journalist friends think that will be the car that will light my fire. Also found new 2014 and 2015 Challenger R/Ts at the same price point. All have strengths and weaknesses, but the feature set on the 2015 is really impressive.
    Not going FWD again and nothing Euro under $45k interests me. I like the 370Z OK, but not enough to buy one.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Gee. That sounds a lot more fun than my Sedona experience. :)

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    RB, you're right about pricing on the Euro brands. Every time I configure a 3- or 4-series it ends up being around $55k. Way out of my price range! And the color palette is very restricted if you get the M-sport package.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    given the option, I would much rather have a boss 302 than a whale of a Challenger. But, that's me, and I am not getting either one anytime soon!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I used to bag on the Challenger's heft as well, but it actually weighs less than an M6 or SL65 AMG. I still prefer lighter cars, V8 horsepower covers up a multitude of sins...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    ' V8 horsepower covers up a multitude of sins...' - roadburner
    [ And TQ. ]
    Agreed.
    = Ray
    Still looking seriously at a big honkin' V8 sedan.....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    It isn't actually about the weight. I am sure there is more than enough HP to overcome that.

It is the physical size and configuration of the beast that I could not live with.

• Options
    I wish that it was a bit smaller as well- but what do you mean by "configuration?"

• Options
    the huge hood, gigantic doors, etc.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Well, I drove the "Secretary's Challenger"(V6) from Louisville to Chicago and back and you adapt to the size pretty quickly. It's still better than an F150 or Silverado...

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I know we both had a problem with the long hood of the new Mazda3, just looks out of whack on an otherwise nice looking vehicle. Got to fill up the A3 today and must admit, it's a really nice driver especially in sport mode...wouldn't have minded it as my d d if the wife really didn't want to keep it. Glad she's changed her mind here but they will not be taking it on their trip next week...it'll stay in the garage. I like driving the Golf in sport most of the time as it's more responsive actually. I do miss the 2.4 on the Tucson just a bit because I always had the burst of speed whenever I needed it. Again, it was a good little cuv and did everything right but deep down I had really wanted the Outlander Sport with the killer stereo and think, know, I settled just a bit with the Tucson. Crazy as it may seem, I liked the looks of the Outlander more than the Tucson, and still do. I just probably should've backed away and gone back to the Mitsu dealer another day when I would've been agreeable to taking delivery the same day. To be honest, I have never ran into a dealer that insisted the vehicle be off the lot the same day and again, for a brand that has such a small niche in the auto world, that the general manager would've had no problem with me taking delivery the next day as a sale is a sale and especially with it being the end of the Black Friday sale.
    As good as it was, I never had that connection with it that I had with my Civic and that I'm getting with my Golf. I knew right away that the Tucson was not going to be a long time keeper and I probably should've just kept the Civic longer until I was really really sure about swapping vehicles. But again, we never looked at German vehicles and never thought we would but again, the new Golf just came out so I guess all this happened for a reason. I obviously lost some money by doing what I did but didn't realize the depreciation on a Hyundai was what is was. But, it is what it is and here we are...happy I pulled the trigger on a vehicle that I think will make me happy for years to come.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    A college buddy of mine recently posted a pic of the new C7 he just got. Ordered in July and just delivered. Midnight blue, almost black, with - gasp! - the 8-speed auto.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Sandy, where is the Golf made?  Thanks.

Bean
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you recently bought a car for your teenager or are currently shopping for one, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please respond to PR@edmunds.com today (12/22/14) with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience so far.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Golf made in Mexico.

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    Stick, I believe you meant, "Hecho en Mexico."

Re: Jag. Come on, guys! It ain't your father's Jag! Having said that, not sure I'd buy a '10. First, second year XFs had some issues (so I've heard), but I believe Jag stepped it up after. '12 they fixed the headlight styling. My '13 is just turning 1, no issues to report. Latest CR polls were kinda kind to Jag overall, too.

My '09 XK wasn't flawless, but no show-stoppers (one recall apparently not applied by original owner). And, beautiful, fast and fun. Sounded V8 GREAT!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    I have 'right of first refusal' on the first
    [ so far, only ]
    2015 Charger w/Premium Group at my nearest dealer.
    Currently [ and for a couple of weeks now ]
    shows as 'in transit'.
    Financing in place.
    Assuming a reasonable trade value for the
    2013 GTI, this deal is 'a go'.
    - Ray
    Waiting - oh, so patiently.....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    no kiddin? Is this the V6 model? I still keep thinking about the Hellcat. Its just so much money, though. At the same time, I don't know of anything that can touch it as far as performance:$$ equation in the new sedan category.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    edited December 2014
    R/T = 5.7L V8.
    NOT a Hellcat.....
    Should have specified - sorry!
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Congrats sandman on the Golf!! Glad to see you got what you really wanted. No need to look back, just enjoy your new ride!
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    stickguy said:
    Golf made in Mexico.
    Thanks stickguy.  I didn't know if all of them were made down there or not.  I appreciate the quick answer.

Bean
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    rayainsw said:

R/T = 5.7L V8.
    NOT a Hellcat.....
    Should have specified - sorry!

Awesome!!! Congrats - I'm sure they will come through for you on the GTI.

My first car was a 1985 Chrysler Laser. Since then, I've had no interest in any Chrysler products in the least. But lately, I obviously have been giving serious thought to the Durango, and the restyled Charger is definitely catching my eye in the magazines these days.

What color?

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited December 2014
    Personally, as a card carrying member of the CCBA, I've had a number of cars, which after brief ownership, that I felt a degree of disappointment with. This lead to my keeping said cars for as little as 7-14 months, and ended up taking a shellacing on depreciation. That's the cost of being a car-nut.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    carnaught said:

Personally, as a card carrying member of the CCBA, I've had a number of cars which after brief ownership, that I felt a degree of disappointment. This lead to my keeping said cars for as little as 7-14 months, and ended up taking a shellacing on depreciation. That's the cost of being a car-nut.

Amen

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Color = Dark red - called 'RedLine'.
    - Black Nappa leather interior.
    Pics when it hits the dealer's lot.
    - Ray
    OK - not really being very patient here...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Okay - all this talk of switching from German autos to American muscle makes me reconsider that Durango R/T.

Hmmm.....we'll see. :)

• Options
    This is a first time thing for me actually and honestly, I wouldn't have been at this point if I had just gotten what I had wanted last year in the first place. But did learn a valuable lesson and doubt it will ever happen again so all is good in the end here. And after about 10 days, I still smile whenever I see my new Golf, smile from ear to ear. So whatever it cost, it was well worth it for that happiness this vehicle is giving to me. And now, we're both done for the foreseeable future. The next person that will be looking is our oldest as her Versa has just over 60k on the clock right now but it drives great so she's keeping it for another couple of years.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    rayainsw said:

Color = Dark red - called 'RedLine'.
    - Black Nappa leather interior.
    Pics when it hits the dealer's lot.
    - Ray
    OK - not really being very patient here...

Ray...happy to see this deal come together. Fingers crossed for you.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    To commemorate the end of Hanukah tomorrow night, I'm honored to present to you my list of 8 cars I wish could be parked in my driveway at my disposal (in no particular order):

2015 Porsche 911 C2 Coupe - nothing fancy. I'll take black/black with a 6-Speed stick & heated seats.

Mercedes-Benz GL 350 BlueTec - I've got 3 kids. Lots of room & an XL cruising range for road trips. If consider a CPO if it were properly priced.

2015 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

2015 Lexus IS 350 F-Sport

2015 Corvette Coupe - stick shift & Z51 suspension

2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat

2015 Jaguar XF-R-S

Some sort of pickup truck. Not really in love with anyone in particular. Maybe a new Silverado.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Can I play?

All are 2015 or newer

Alpina B6 Gran Coupe

Challenger Hellcat

Cayman S

Alfa Romeo 4C

Corvette Z06

Wrangler Rubicon

Mustang GT 350

i8

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    edited December 2014

Can I play?

In Subaru Crew, we would do this every December: You have $100K to spend on automobiles.... how would you spend it? It was fun because $100K seems like a lot, but when you start buying cars.... LOL

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Ooohhhh, can I play?

No particular order...

-1967 Dodge Charger 440 Magnum
    -1969 Mustang BOSS 429
    -1963 split window Corvette
    -2015 BMW Alpina B7
    -2016 Cadillac CTS-V
    -any Nissan GT-R
    -2016 Acura NSX
    -any Ferrari 365 California
    -Tesla Model S

Actually, I could spend a week thinking of other cars I'd like to have..

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    I wouldn't have pegged roadburner for an i8 fan. 
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    Got a phone call from my son today ... his '97 Mustang might be on its last legs. He took a friend to LAX yesterday and it decided to overheat on him at the terminal.

Prognosis is a new radiator, water pump and heater core. The odo died a couple of years ago with just over 147K on it, so I figure it's got 160-170K on it now. 3.8L V6, 4 speed auto.

Son has a Fiesta rental for the day - he likes all the new tech available. Not sure if he can afford a car payment at this time, but I suspect he may start looking more seriously. We shall see.

A quick look turned up a few Focus / Fiesta models with low-ish miles (under 50K) for under $15K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Took advantage of the free car wash service at Audi and took the A3 in for a much needed bath. They did a decent job and even vacuumed it out so the wife is happy now. They had her model in the silver color, had two in fact, and definitely feel she got the correct color...the silver was nice but after having four silver vehicles in a row, it was time for a change. Could've done black on black but too hot for South Florida, white is the perfect choice right now. Having the same 1.8t engine in my Golf, so easy to just get into her vehicle and drive off though hers has better road manners for some reason because it is a heavier vehicle.
    We're both happy with the new additions to the family garage even though mine was just so unexpected...but hey, we only live once so why the hell not!

• Options
    I would be happy with a new E400 for me, and an ML350 for the wife. We are simple people.

and my daughter would be happy as a claim to steal my Sonata. I let her drive me home the other day when we were out shopping, and today the wife and her were running around doing errands, and stole my car since it was out, and the kid drove.

give her something to aspire to. And we decided that we can shove all the holiday crap in there to take it travelling this weekend. As long as I get it all to fit! Will let her drive Xmas morning when we go from NYC area to upstate NY. All thruway, and not usually much traffic. Will be good practice for her.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Michaell said:

Got a phone call from my son today ... his '97 Mustang might be on its last legs. He took a friend to LAX yesterday and it decided to overheat on him at the terminal.

Prognosis is a new radiator, water pump and heater core. The odo died a couple of years ago with just over 147K on it, so I figure it's got 160-170K on it now. 3.8L V6, 4 speed auto.

Son has a Fiesta rental for the day - he likes all the new tech available. Not sure if he can afford a car payment at this time, but I suspect he may start looking more seriously. We shall see.

A quick look turned up a few Focus / Fiesta models with low-ish miles (under 50K) for under $15K.

I would think that you could get a brand new one for less than $18k? Let me go look.
    Truecar says a brand new 2015 Fiesta for $14,473.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    Yeah, if you're looking at used, Michael, I'd think that a 2011 or 2012, totally loaded up, should net you south of $10,000 (notwithstanding taxes). The last time I checked on the value of mine, it was a little under $10K as a 2011 SES with 47,000 miles.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited December 2014
    Add a Punch for Shifty:

'98 Dakota 5.2L / 4X4, hi miles but runs great, pd $1800. Gotta fix rip in seat, dome light, interior scrub, key fob batteries, l/s automatic door lock (cable?). Everything else seems good.

Now the quest for the second vehicle to (possibly) replace the Mini. Porsche 996 coupe? C4 Corvette?

Man need more power.

• Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    edited December 2014

Add a Punch for Shifty:

'98 Dakota 5.2L / 4X4, hi miles but runs great, pd $1800. Gotta fix rip in seat, dome light, interior scrub, key fob batteries, l/s automatic door lock (cable?). Everything else seems good.

CONGRATULATIONS!

A perfect "farm truck"

B)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    So, with using the $100K limit and limiting to new vehicles currently available for sale in the US, my #1 item is MB GLK250, MSRP as optioned: $49,730. And, #2, would be a 2015 Toyota Sienna LP AWD, MSRP as optioned: $47,936. Honestly, though, I'd rather someone offer a diesel-powered minivan! :D

There are so many "fun" cars I would really like to put on this list, but darn it if my practical side doesn't win out every stinkin' time!
  • Options
    Well, hey, Shifty... now you have something with which you can haul your Mini if its clutch gives up!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    True enough! It has a nice sturdy tow hitch that came with it. Sobering to think that a MINI clutch costs more than this entire truck.

The 5.2L is a pretty bulletproof motor, unlike SOME companies' V-6s.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    5.2? Is that a V8? Body looks good. How many miles are "high miles?" Congrats on the punch!

A C4 is supposedly a fantastic car to start out a track car/project. I read an article in CORVETTE FEVER over the summer that was all about C4s, the car's strengths (they are light, fast, and parts are cheap) & weaknesses (the parts are cheap, its a Chevy). Obviously the most desirable (and most expensive) C4s are the last 2 years of production with the LT4 (?) 405 hp engine.

You might want to expand your search to this side of the country. There are a lot of C4s on Long Island & in NJ that are in perfect shape that people have held on to for years & just decide to get rid of them because they are never driven.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,171
    $1800 for a modern enough looking 4x4? If the 4x4 works properly, fix the little quirks, bring it up north, and you'll have no problem getting that money back when you're done. Seems well bought.

Add a Punch for Shifty:

• Options
    Congrats, Shifty!

• Options
    I could live with that as my 2nd car for the price. Looks nice.

• Options
    Congrats, Shifty! The Dakota looks nice. We're at 35 punches for the year. I'm not sure about replacing the Mini with an older Corvette or Porsche. For me, I'd want at least one newer vehicle in the stable.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949

Add a Punch for Shifty:

Now the quest for the second vehicle to (possibly) replace the Mini. Porsche 996 coupe? C4 Corvette?

Man need more power.

Good job, shifty. Extended cab 5.2 is what I had way back when. Mine was a black SLT Plus with LSD. Great torque in that thing but the 14 mpg I got out of it was tough to live with.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S