Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LaCrosse Electrical/Lighting Problems

13»

Comments

• frankyhimelfrankyhimel Member Posts: 3
    The 2007 Buick lacrosse cx is nothing but a black eye for Buick. Ours caught on fire in the fuse box. The person I talked to at gm said bring it to the dealer. It is their fault for having a lemon. But they want the owners to pay for their problems. It's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt or killed because of this danger. I hope it gets recalled before then. I am sure this is the last Buick we ever own.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited December 2013

@frankyhimel said:
    Ours caught on fire in the fuse box.

The car is up to 7 years old.
    Was it a relay that overheated?
    What did that relay serve?
    Were there symptoms about something not working right?
    When was the car last checked over at the Buick garage?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

The HDM relay caught fire. It burned all the wires that go to the panel. We would normally not go to a Buick technician to get it serviced. I have my own ASE certified mechanic that works on all my vehicles
    Hopefully someone's house doesn't catch fire before the problem is fixed by Buick.
  • mydadscarmydadscar Member Posts: 3

My Dad left me his 2006 Buick Lacrosse. Beautiful car. But I had the problems with the low beams not working and had to use the high beams to get home. My son replaced the relay for me and it worked fine....for awhile. Then I had to have the relay replaced again (the car parts place kindly replaced it for me) ... it worked for a few months, then it FRIED ! Smoke was pouring out from my hood and the whole relay box melted. Now my car won't work at all ! I canot afford to take it to the dealer and I really need help. I would like to get it fixed so I can sell it and get a car easier to fix. (so sad, I did love this car that my Dad left to me...) any suggestions?

• mydadscarmydadscar Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2014

sorry, accidentally posted twice so I edited the 2nd posting out with this comment.

• rammy1946rammy1946 Member Posts: 1

2005lacrosse dash lights. the mileage lights trip odometer @ radio info lights sometimes come on very dim when the car is started more often than not the work fine. what is causing this to occur?

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

Hello rammy1946,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these concerns with your LaCrosse. Have you taken it to your local Buick dealership to have it diagnosed? I would be happy to assist with setting that up for you if you would like to email me at socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Jonathan A.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Jonathan A.
    GM Customer Care

@rammy1946 said:
    2005lacrosse dash lights. the mileage lights trip odometer @ radio info lights sometimes come on very dim when the car is started more often than not the work fine. what is causing this to occur?

I would suspect your car is initially starting up in night mode where the interior lamps are dimmer so that they aren't too bright relative to the outside lighting. I assume your car has a sensor on the dashtop somewhere for the overhead light from the sun. I notice mine sometimes doesn't sense the daylight even though the sky is light if the sun is at an oblique angle like at near dusk or near dawn.

Or you may have your wipers turned on which turns on the headlamps automatically. Does your car have the rain-sensing wipers which control the delay positions on the wiper switch? Make sure the wipers are OFF. If left in the lowest delay model in rain sense, the wipers should cycle one time when the key is turned to ON--that would indicate your rain sense wipers are in auto setting. That keeps headlamps on which may affect your day/night settings on the dash.

I am extrapolating how your 2005 may be based on my 2003 leSabre's settings. If it's the rain sense wipers are on in auto setting, don't feel bad. It took 2 visits to my Buick garage to figure out why my headlamps were staying on during long trips when the car was new.

• rch5rch5 Member Posts: 3

12.11.2013 7 PM Returning home from dinner heads light would not TURN OFF
    Tried to turn off lights, drove car up & down street starting and stopping
    Then stopped in front of house Scott Reese (neighbor) came out, we tapped box under hood
    lights blinked on and off when off for minute I drove can back into the garage

12.11.2013 7:25 PM Buick fire started in garage Total lost

12.11.2013 Pushed car out and it hit the house across the street
    Then rolled back to middle of street

2007 Buick La Crosse

@rch5 said:
    12.11.2013 7 PM Returning home from dinner heads light would not TURN OFF
    Tried to turn off lights, drove car up & down street starting and stopping
    Then stopped in front of house Scott Reese (neighbor) came out, we tapped box under hood
    lights blinked on and off when off for minute I drove can back into the garage

12.11.2013 7:25 PM Buick fire started in garage Total lost

12.11.2013 Pushed car out and it hit the house across the street
    Then rolled back to middle of street

Hello rch5,

We apologize that you experienced this with your vehicle. We would like to look further into this matter for you and reach out to the department within General Motors that is best fit to address this issue. Could you please private message me your full contact information, VIN and mileage? Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

Robert

Please find my address below.

Thanks

Bryan Schwartz

ESIS/GM Claims Administrator

PO Box 300

Mail Code 482 C19 B61

Detroit, MI 48265-3000

P : 313.665.3395

F : 248.778.1794

• nucleartednuclearted Member Posts: 3

I see this thread has been going on for quite a while. Now it's 2014 and my 2006 Lacrosse has no low beam headlights. I did some research and thought that the Headlight Driver Module (HDM) sounded like the problem. I bought an R6100 from NAPA for $40. No help. i backed up and thought maybe two fuses went out at the same time (unlikely), The fuses tested good. I was making an appointment at the most convenient Buick dealership when the woman characterized the problem as I needed a new headlight. Two bulbs going out at the same time is also unlikely but I am in the middle of relocating and dropping off my car for service is really difficult. I went ahead and made an appoint for the day after tomorrow, but will check the bulbs before then. I really don't want to buy a body control module. :-(

Now for my other electrical problem on my 2006 Lacrosse - the cruise control. There is an on-off button on the left side of the steering wheel that gets depressed when on. It has a small orange light that lights up. When I press the set button on the other side of the steering wheel the orange light goes out and no cruise control. If I wait an undetermined number of minutes the orange light comes back on but trying to set the cruise turns it off again.
    Very rarely it works. I can press set, the orange light stays on, the round green indicator on the dash lights up and it holds the speed at the set point.
    Here are two clues that may help someone figure out what may be wrong.
    If I hold down the on-off button on the left, it works. I also noticed that the the light behind the set button is not on. There is a light behind the second button to control the cruise control, "RES +", is working.
    If the parts were easily available, I would replace the button module on the right which includes the set button. It would be aggravating to pay a ton of money for the module and install it only to find out the problem is somewhere else, Maybe its the body control module that;s also messing with my headlights.
    Any suggestions?

Since this thread will not be read by anyone I might as well talk to myself. My low beam problem turned out to be the bulbs, not the HDM or the BCM. It's illogical to have both bulbs go out at the same time, but apparently you can't always rely on logic to diagnose car problems.

Thanks for reporting what you found. I'm sure there are people reading here but they don't have any help to post so we don't see any postings.

• lacrossesoakedlacrossesoaked Member Posts: 87

Replacing low beam headlight or side marker light on 2005 LaCrosse: had to replace the low beam but couldn't figure out how to do so. found a link which I contributed to at the end of the blog after I had successfully changed out the bulb. hope this helps others:
    http://buickforums.com/forums/threads/14242-how-do-i-replace-the-headlight-bulb-in-a-2005-buick-lacrosse

• bamagrits84bamagrits84 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    I have a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. I will never buy another GM vehicle after what I experienced last night with it. My low beams would not go off. I opened the hood to pull the relay just to get them to go off. As soon as I opened the hood I smelled burning plastic. I opened the fuse box to find smoke coming out and my low beam relay melting. I immediately snatched it out. I am so glad I was parked when this happened and not driving with my children in the car. I'm scared to put another relay in and my car catch fire. There is clearly something wrong with the wiring. Buicks are not what they used to be.
  • LongstrideLongstride Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014

Thanks for the great advice, spicoli2!

The low beams on my '05 Lacrosse wouldn't come on last night, either automatically or with the knob set to on, but the high beams worked fine. Both lamps had been replaced in the past couple of years, and I could see that the fuses were good.

I found your post and the positive feedback from others, and just got back from Advance Auto Parts with working low beams, thanks to you and a $35 replacement HDM relay module.

One year later, and I get a call from the Parking office at work saying my headlights are on in the garage. I opened the fuse box and thought I saw smoke, so I moved my car out into the sunlight to verify that there really was smoke. Not knowing where it was coming from, I started touching the fuses and relays until I got to the HDM module, which burned the heck out of my thumb. Luckily I got it out before a complete meltdown and took my car to the shop. They looked it over and said the entire box will need to be replaced with an estimate of $570.

Buick/GM needs to address this problem, as it seems to be common in the Lacrosse line.

Since this thread will not be read by anyone I might as well talk to myself. My low beam problem turned out to be the bulbs, not the HDM or the BCM. It's illogical to have both bulbs go out at the same time, but apparently you can't always rely on logic to diagnose car problems.

I find it's great therapy to put in writing the grief caused by our vehicles (or GM). And, whenever an issue with my LaCrosse pops up, the first place I go for research is this forum. So please, keep making entries, you are helping many others by doing so.

One year later, and I get a call from the Parking office at work saying my headlights are on in the garage. I opened the fuse box and thought I saw smoke, so I moved my car out into the sunlight to verify that there really was smoke. Not knowing where it was coming from, I started touching the fuses and relays until I got to the HDM module, which burned the heck out of my thumb. Luckily I got it out before a complete meltdown and took my car to the shop. They looked it over and said the entire box will need to be replaced with an estimate of $570.

Buick/GM needs to address this problem, as it seems to be common in the Lacrosse line.

Oh no! We're sorry for your experience and certainly understand why you're upset. If you would like for us to document this matter within our system please send your VIN, mileage, contact information and dealership name via private message. We're also available via email at socialmedia@gm.com if you'd like to further discuss this matter.

Thanks,
    Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • brian33197brian33197 Member Posts: 1
    My in laws have an 06 lacrosse and the headlights will come on automatically when the car is parked in the garage. They park the car after driving it and check about 30 minutes later and the lights will be on. I don't know if they are having problems with low beams because they don't drive at night. The car also needs to be jump started when this happens. Is it possible it could be this relay everyone is talking about?
  • kribarkribar Member Posts: 1
    gmcustsvc said:

Exactly what I found in my 2009 Buick LaCrosse tonight! I had replaced the HDM #35 about a year ago because the low beams would not come on, and tonight my wife was complaining that they would not turn off. It was hot when I pulled it, but thankfully, not smoking. I am so glad it is dark up here in WA this time of year, or we may not have noticed it! It could have burned my whole house down, and us in it!

Definately, Buick/GM needs to address this problem before lives are lost!
  • candrew14candrew14 Member Posts: 1
    My drivers side low beam went out last night on my 2005 LaCrosse. Bought a bulb today and searched for video on how to replace it tonite when I stumbled on this site. Now I'm worried. Since I have owned a bunch of different cars since 1956, only had to replace two bulbs. I'm hoping this is just the bulb and I'm not about to experience what I have read here. Terrible!
    As for replacing the bulb, check out my earlier post on July 27, currently on page 4 of this thread. Step-by-step replacement procedure; once you do it, it is easy, but the first time is a learning experience.
  • airedale6airedale6 Member Posts: 1
    2009 Buick Lacrosse CX- Radio/radio lights quit working. This has occurred several times. The last time the radio went out my husband disconnected the car battery for 15 minutes and now radio and radio lights work. Still a problem with the following: dash lights (engine light) goes on and off for no reason. Both low beam lights quit. Bulbs are good and both bright lights work. Fuses look fine. I thought I smelled plastic burning when exiting the car the other day. Any suggestions for repairs. I read article at USA Today, December 1, 2014. Also filled out a complaint with Buick Manufacture. Any suggestions for repairing low beam lights?
    edited January 2015

Without verifying the owners manual and relay diagrams, those lights go through a relay in the fuse box under the hood, and the power goes through a fuse for each bulb low beam.

If I recall, those relays can overheat and cause a plastic burning smell. The relay itself can be damaged from the heat as well as the connector it plugs into.

That's where I'd start my search. Since the low beams don't work at all. Did both low beams quit at the same time? The module which acts as a relay may be the problem. You may be able to check to see if it's supplying voltage to either headlight circuit as it comes out of the fuse box.

Verify the numbers with the locations in the owner manual in the glovebox. I had to use a circuit diagram for the 2007 lacrosse.

edited January 2015
    The output from the module is B12. If you can identify that on the output prong and use a wire to connect while module is in place and then measure for voltage that might identify a bad module.

Or test at the input side for the two fuses in the block for the low beam. The fuses are AFTER the
    module/relay.

If you get the lights working, touch the relay to see if it's warming up.

Don't assume one headlight bulb is NOT burned out. Recently had a Century/Regal in my neighbor's garage--he's a shadetree mechanic. Both headlights were not working. Turned out one was a bad
    relay for low beam and the other was a poor connection AT the bulb. When he reached to disconnect the plug from the bulb to put in a known good bulb, that headlight came on. The other was a bad relay.

Good luck.

• danial2020danial2020 Member Posts: 1
    So like many of u guys said yalll had the problem with yall buick lacross i had the same  problem with my wife car today i. Went to go buy a relay onlyto open the fuse box and see this so my machanic had me calll sum salvage junk yards to find another fuse box  i found 1 for 100$ with alll the fuses and relays in it for a 2oo5 buick and i have a 2007 my machanic  will installm for 150$ but if my wife car sould have caught fire i wouldd be the new Owner of GM and Buick smh
  • flhpi1996flhpi1996 Member Posts: 5
    OnStar and navigation not working 2015 LaCrosse
    12-22-2014
    I purchased a new 2015 Buick Lacrosse and have had it 3 weeks and the OnStar has not worked from day one than the navigation system stop working after 6 days. took it to the dealer they said it was commutations module needed replacement after talking to the engineers the module came in and off to dealer again after leaving it with them all day they call me and say it still is not fixed they called the engineers again they think the programing went bad for the module so they ordered another. I am not having a very good feeling about this being fixed anytime soon. I will post about this after the second module comes in.
    01-02-2015
    The problem with the new 4G is it does not work, I have 2015 Lacrosse and the OnStar has not worked from day one and now the navigation is not working. Had it in last Monday and they replaced the communications module which did not fix it/ they told me it’s on a national back order so how knows when it will be fixed?
    01-08-2015
    I get a call from the dealer today they need a number off of my computer so I have to bring my car in it will only take 15 minutes, its 01-14-2014 now and still not repaired waiting on a call from them.
  • dboy9486dboy9486 Member Posts: 1
    I see many people have had issues with their Buick headlights!!! I had a very similar issue also. I would be driving and my regular low beam lights would go out on me in the middle of the night!!! and probably during the daytime too but I couldn't notice that of course haha This is definitely a huge issue, I have been pulled over 3 times for driving with my high beams on at night!!! They worked just fine i had to drive with some kind of lights!! So I did a little research and found out about the HDM Module its the relay in the fuse box (#35)under your hood close to your battery for those people who aren't too car savvy ( like myself haha). I would recommend this to people having the same issue, its definitely a good place to start. I see people writing that your bulbs out but in this case I'm about 99.9% sure its not your bulb its as if they didn't see you write they go off and on intermittently!!!! So obvioulsy they didn't burn out! I changed mine about 6 months ago and it resolved the issue! Now that I wrote that its funny I just got a RECALL letter in the mail from Buick for the HDM module haha hopefully they'll reimburse me and give me an original one! I also got a RECALL in the mail a little while back for some kind of Ignition problem that I never went in for I have to check the paper I have at home. I'm actually writing this to see if anyone is having the problem I'm having now so I changed the HDM module like I said maybe 6-10 months ago cant remember exactly and haven't had an issue since but now my headlights will not go out!!! Now this is a huge issue because its killed my battery 3 times now when I wake up to go to work! .......To describe my problem a little it only happens when I'm in park they go off and on while im out of the car or in the car. They only do it when the car is not on. Ive cut them off manually using the knob and once I slam my door they pop on. Sometimes I can turn my knob to turn them off and it works ,sometimes it doesn't!! When I get out of my car they usually turn off within 30 seconds but don't do that now and sometimes they do go out like normal and will just pop back on and sometimes just off and on constantly throughout the night! Sometimes they will just stay on no matter if I lock the door try to turn the knob nothing works they just stay on!!! I already wrote too much (haha) so i'll cut it off here but if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated some things I've read that make a little sense are the ignition switch being faulty, something with my door fob or whatever it is where the door locks, possibly the actual knob being faulty and I don't know if it could be that same module again because it was an aftermarket one? When I go to Buick and get the new I'll let you guys know if it helped but for now if anyone that has had this issue or knows cars good it would be so great if you could help me! and one more thing it started happening when the temperature hit 0 degrees Fahrenheit!
  • pamelareedpamelareed Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. May 2015 I did not have low beam lights one evening. (I did have high beam lights, however.) The mechanic replaced the "headlight relay switch", which fixed the problem. This evening (November 2015) I again did not have low beam lights when I was away from home. I had to travel home with high beams only. I will return to the mechanic in the morning.

Hey, GM, this problem needs to be fixed! From reading this forum, I can see this is NOT a unique to me problem!
  • pamelareedpamelareed Member Posts: 2

I own a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. May 2015 I did not have low beam lights one evening. (I did have high beam lights, however.) The mechanic replaced the "headlight relay switch", which fixed the problem. This evening (November 2015) I again did not have low beam lights when I was away from home. I had to travel home with high beams only. I will return to the mechanic in the morning.

Hey, GM, this problem needs to be fixed! From reading this forum, I can see this is NOT a unique to me problem!

Doing further research, I see that GM has a recall from December 2014 for this problem. I never received a recall!!! This means that I paid for one repair myself. :( I will locate a Buick dealer in the morning and get an appointment. There are no close dealerships to my location. It's always a pain to go to a dealer when you live in a rural area!

Doing further research, I see that GM has a recall from December 2014 for this problem. I never received a recall!!! This means that I paid for one repair myself. :( I will locate a Buick dealer in the morning and get an appointment. There are no close dealerships to my location.

If you have your receipt or can have the servicing garage make you a duplicate, Buick may reimburse you.

• ginger6719ginger6719 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. May 2015 I did not have low beam lights one evening. (I did have high beam lights, however.) The mechanic replaced the "headlight relay switch", which fixed the problem. This evening (November 2015) I again did not have low beam lights when I was away from home. I had to travel home with high beams only. I will return to the mechanic in the morning. Hey, GM, this problem needs to be fixed! From reading this forum, I can see this is NOT a unique to me problem!
    My son's lights went out and it was dark where he was driving he flipped his car 4 time and lucky to be alive he never received anything about a recall Buick/GM please fix! this is so dangerous my son could have died 
  • autotrainrodautotrainrod Member Posts: 1
    Lights yes, electrical yes..replaced electrical harness and did no good. Hood latch defective, flew up and smashed windshield. 2006 . Wow  I thought I had a lemon.
    AT 74,500 miles, my 2005 LaCrosse has experienced the "low beam failure" problem. Dealership said they would install a "temporary" fix (probably installing a new, but faulty, destined-to-fail module) because, two years after the initial recall notice, they still don't have a "permanent" fix. Huh? For those wondering if their vehicle is part of this recall, you can do a quick check:
    https://my.gm.com/recalls
  • aadadlcsaadadlcs Member Posts: 1
    So I bought a 2014 LaCrosse, formerly my company car, from my employer who bought it new. Driving home tonight I lose my headlights, low and high beam.  Before I spend/waste money, especially because I'm laid off, anyone here have ideas/suggestions?
  • gotskillzgotskillz Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 05 lacrosse Brake lights not coming on
    Windows don’t roll down
    Turning signal lights not coming on...
    Trunk not opening
    Lock and unlock button not working 
    Our power seats don’t move
    I am trying to get this fixed but wanted to know does anyone think it is the BCM? Or how should I start diagnosing?  Thank you.....Bob
    edited December 2017
    I don't know if a BCM has to be flashed to work after installation or not. That would mean you need a dealer or a well-equipped independent shop that specializes in doing repairs requiring computer links to GM services.
    EDIT: I suspect it would be easier in time value and dollars paid to go to a reputable dealer over an independent shop.

But that would be my question as to whether the BCM needs to be flashed. I have a service manual for 03 leSabre which may be similar to the 05 LaCrosse. I have manuals for 08 Cobalt as well. I'll look into those later when I get home this afternoon.

ANSWER:
    Amazon parts has become a good source of info in descriptions from their good suppliers. I found this by searching for body control module buick lacrosse. So you'll need a shop that has computer skills to program it to fit your car's options which may require the VIN as a way for GM's computer software source to ID the RPO items on the car.

"This part requires programming and/or special setup procedures. GM Service Information or equivalent describes the procedures and special tools needed to ensure proper operation in the vehicle"

. I can link you to some circuit diagrams and you can follow the control path and power paths for the "features" that aren't working to see if they all have the BCM in commong.

bbbind.com
    center of top bar is technical information--pick TSBs and wiring diagrams
    choose wiring diagrams because this page defaults to TSBs when you come back to search
    you'll get multiple pictures in individual links for some choices. Those can be individually saved or printed IIRC
    for multiple choices, use back arrow to go back to click the next link to see what it is
    I tried looking in electrical distribution for power but there are a lot of connections to study.
    I tried looking in driver amenities and several of the functions are BCM that you say aren't working.
    Power windows I don't see having a link through the BCM. I may have missed it.

http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Another electrical wiring source is autozone's webpage. YOu may have to join the zone to get an ID and password.
    Then you can turn off their emails they send offering bargains each day.

Good luck.

• gotskillzgotskillz Member Posts: 2
    I actually fixed the problem there was a 50a maxi fuse under the hood, behind the box there was a wire that was bare and grounding out popping the fuse. Insulated the wire and replaced the fuse. Problem solved. Thank you for the info tho! 
  • BlueberryBoyBlueberryBoy Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2018
    I like to think I'm a smart fellow - I mean, I have a friggin' PhD - and I've torn motorcycles, cars, tractors, etc. apart since I was a kid. But this ****** 2005 Buick Allure (Canadian version of the LaCrosse) has me stumped with a really stupid thing:

Where the heck is the PRK/LAMP fuse? The parking lights have gone out on my dear mother's car, and the fusebox diagram says there should be a fuse in the lower half of the fuse panel inside the car - but all that's there is a box full of wires. I seriously can't be that stupid, can I?

edited September 2018
    I seem to recall a bunch of fuses are located in a box under the hood. Don't have the vehicle with me at the moment otherwise I would check
    Thanks Lacrossesoaked - yep, there's a big box of fuses under the hood - but they're unrelated. Unless I'm woefully unable to interpret GM's pictogram, that white plastic bit with all the wires should in fact be a spot where there are three additional fuses (to small, one large). Perhaps the Allures were built differently than the LaCrosses?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    edited September 2018
    It is the 10 amp fuse right above the 25 amp fuse in the second row.
    thecardoc3: Crap. Thanks. My eyes saw the PRK/LAMP in the lower section of the diagram, and I focused entirely on that. The lower section, then, refers to what? Is there another PRK/LAMP fuse somewhere? Duplication intentional to confuse "smart" folks like me?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Those are relays and a circuit breaker on the other side of the box from the connector in the view.
    thecardoc3: Thanks again. Time to go back to school, I guess. Something more practical next time.... I swapped the fuse and we have parking lights again. Cheers from Nova Scotia!