Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

U.S. Auto Market News and Reviews

Comments

• tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Reminds me so much of Microsoft. Wants to be like Apple, so advertises Surfaces with cute dancers and prices the HW at premium prices. Only the market doesn't see them that way, and most don't think that's a good value. The same story with Caddy at the current time.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I agree, Microsoft has always envied Apple for the premium prices, and the brand loyalty. The Surface 3 is actually a nice unit, but not worth anywhere near what they are asking for it.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "After stumbling in August, General Motors rebounded in the showroom in September. The Detroit automaker, which has been struggling to emerge from the worst safety crisis in its history, said its sales for the month increased 19% compared with a year ago."

General Motors' sales rebound in September, rise 19 per cent
    (economictimes.indiatimes.com)
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    GM Market Share 2013 = 18%

And drum roll for 2014.............17.8%
    Looks like profits are okay in spite of the recalls. Ford's getting a bit hammered by the new cold war with Russia.

GM to make profit in Europe, hit N. American margin target in 2016 (Reuters)
    Earnings Outlook

General Motors has had a rough year. GM is trying to recover from 20 million recalls from this year alone. GM’s second-quarter earnings were impacted by the recalls. So, GM reported just $200 million in net income, compared to $1.2 billion in the same quarter last year.

General Motors’ third-quarter results look like they will be lukewarm at best, with the consensus earnings growth estimate at 4.2%. GM shares have fallen more than 20% year-to-date and don’t show any signs of rebounding soon.
    Current Ratings

General Motors has been struggling over the past few months, consistently earning an “F” for its Quantitative Grade, which indicates poor buying pressure behind GM stock.

Meanwhile, GM is still struggling in terms of its fundamentals, especially earnings growth and earnings momentum (Fs). GM is also floundering in terms of sales growth, operating margin growth, earnings surprises, analyst earnings revisions and cash flow (Ds). The last metric, return on equity, receives a “C.” Overall, GM earns a “D” for its Fundamental Grade.

As of this posting, October 2, I consider GM an “F-rated strong sell.”
    edited October 2014
    Some things never change.... ;)

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/28/chrysler-fiat-quality-chief-out-after-another-poor-consumer-repo/
    Consumer Reports has released its Annual Auto Reliability Survey and the results are, in a word, interesting. While we already covered the score-damaging effects of infotainment systems, there's another big angle to the data that's getting some attention – the utterly dismal scores of the Detroit Three's small car offerings.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/28/detroit-3-small-cars-lay-an-egg-in-latest-consumer-reports-relia/

• dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I know a guy with a Cruze and another with a focus, both have had trans issues.

As for my '14 Ram, I'm at 25k miles and have yet to have a repair. Uconnect has been nearly flawless and 99% of the time is very responsive to my commands. So I'm happy so far.

If it becomes troublesome, I'll get rid of it. Only problem is I don't see another pickup I'd rather own. The new f150 is interesting, but I don't like the styling all that much.

While the Tundra is nearly bullet proof, I don't like how they drive. The steering feel and response reminds me of the '75 Buick Regal I had in HS;)
    edited November 2014
    "Automakers will report October U.S. sales on Monday and industry analysts at edmunds.com expect the seasonally adjusted annual rate (SAAR) of sales to reach 16.3 million new cars and light trucks. That represents a gain of 3.1% over September and a gain of 6.4% year-over-year for the month."

Fiat's doing well, GM is holding its own. I bet Ford is really nervous about the new "aluminun" pickup, especially with cheap gas right now.

Ford, VW October Sales Down Again (24/7 Wall St)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well at least Fiat met everyone's expectations! :)
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You mean "fix it all the time"? hahaha!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited November 2014
    Don't check this topic due to the boring repetition. But just checking in to see if the folks continually criticizing GM/Big 3 are criticizing the fraud
    by Hyunda and Kia on their customers. $750 million so far in costs to the company.

"Hyundai and Kia cheated on their mileage claims by “cherry-picking data,” Mr. Holder said. Federal officials said Hyundai engineers used data collected from cars that had improper tires and while running certain tests with the benefit of a tail wind." WSJ

If the companies will present fraudulant data for their cars, how many other ways have
    they done things in their vehicles that are not right.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Yea, Kia/Hyundai were frauds on gas mileage. I suppose GM commits no fraud, right?

Cadillac is doing real well! New World Standard, I guess!
    edited November 2014
    If it becomes troublesome, I'll get rid of it. Only problem is I don't see another pickup I'd rather own. The new f150 is interesting, but I don't like the styling all that much.
    My daughter looks at no other PUT! It's the Ram all the way! She's 16 and it's on top of here wish list!!

Don't check this topic due to the boring repetition. But just checking in to see if the folks continually criticizing GM/Big 3 are criticizing the fraud
    by Hyunda and Kia on their customers. $750 million so far in costs to the company.

"Hyundai and Kia cheated on their mileage claims by “cherry-picking data,” Mr. Holder said. Federal officials said Hyundai engineers used data collected from cars that had improper tires and while running certain tests with the benefit of a tail wind." WSJ

If the companies will present fraudulant data for their cars, how many other ways have

Undoubtedly shameful on Hyunkia's part.

Still I don't think it compares to this story from today:

"NEW YORK (Reuters) - General Motors Co ordered half a million replacement ignition switches almost two months before it alerted federal safety regulators of the issues that prompted a recall of millions of vehicles, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing email exchanges between the automaker and its supplier Delphi Automotive Plc .".....

"This is simply mind-blowing in its raw evilness," said Bob Hilliard, lead counsel for the personal injury and wrongful death plaintiffs in the Federal Multi District Litigation against General Motors.

"GM should have notified its customers immediately to take all weight off of their keychains. By the time GM actually ordered these parts, it had to have already spent months making the decision to place the order," Hilliard said in a statement.
    edited November 2014
    Last I heard, GM's death toll was up to 30.

Another 14 and they'll catch up with Jeep. Well, actually 21, counting the Liberty fires too. :'(

Chrysler ramps up effort to fix recalled Jeep SUVs (Detroit News)
    edited November 2014
    In addition.............
    Hilliard is suing GM on behalf of, his office says, 950 people, alleging fraud and product liability issues for not telling owners sooner about the danger of the ignition switches, now linked to 32 deaths.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/11/10/gm-delphi-ignition-switch-emails/18815709/

Makes gas mileage fraud incidental, don't you think???
    circlew said:

In addition.............

Hilliard is suing GM on behalf of, his office says, 950 people, alleging fraud and product liability issues for not telling owners sooner about the danger of the ignition switches, now linked to 32 deaths.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/11/10/gm-delphi-ignition-switch-emails/18815709/

Makes gas mileage fraud incidental, don't you think???

You see, I agree that HyunKia's fraud on gas mileage is shameful. As was Toyota's handling of the unintended acceleration problem (though most of that problem seemed to be low pedal placement rather than any other true defect in the cars). But to me, these GM death issues are the worst of all - more people died, and the company truly knew about the problem for a long, long time. This is worse than all of those Toyota and Hyundai items.

I know we are all partisan to some degree, and depending upon any person's favorite brand, they may or may not like people making negative citations on their favorite brands. But IMHO the GM issues are more of a shame because as the home team's biggest member, I want to hold them to a higher bar and they've failed miserably in the past. With that, I do think they're getting better and Mary seems to be doing a good job. But she is working with what she has, and that's decades of a certain corporate DNA that is not easy to fix.

I know I don't post much about Chrysler/Fiat because I consider them kind of a lost cause as an original D3 company. And Ford - well they at least were prudent enough to not need the largess of the American taxpayer, and for a while they seemed to be doing pretty well on reliability (which has now apparently changed for the worse). And at least their vehicles for the most part are more innovative and fun to drive (in my opinion) than GM's , at least in the segments where I am most interested, which is smaller to midsized cars.
    I agree, GM will get better...in time. Look how the rest of the world ate their market share.

That tells the whole story. :'(

GM Discloses More Fatalities, Faces Questions Amid Email Revelation
    General Motors disclosed more deaths linked to the February 2014 ignition switch recall in its quarterly report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, but more headaches await the automaker as the spotlight focuses on CEO Mary Barra’s actual role in the recall in the first place.

According to Automotive News, GM reported 47 deaths and 614 injuries linked to the ignition switch at the center of the recall. The breakdown this quarter is as follows:

Chevrolet Cobalt: 302 injuries, 26 deaths
    Chevrolet HHR: 122 injuries, five deaths
    Saturn Ion: 56 injuries, seven deaths
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/11/gm-discloses-fatalities-faces-questions-amid-email-revelation/
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    edited November 2014

While the Hyundai/Kia MPG fraud was bad, no one died because of their deception. GM can't say the same.

Your last sentence is telling, "If the companies will present fraudulent data for their cars, how many other ways have they done things in their vehicles that are not right."

What else has GM "hidden"?
    jpp5862, you have hit the nail on the head. That's why so many people don't trust GM, and why they have lost such market share. Many buyers won't consider their vehicles regardless of how nice the look or drive because of the overall track record and reputation of the company. Those same two factors are why Honda and Toyota consistently have the highest reputation of any makers of cars in this country. It is about the product, but it is also about the long term consistency. One or two mistakes, sure. But an endless history of them -- not so good.
    But an endless history of them -- not so good.
    GM - "Standard of the World".
    Boring repetition indeed! Just like it's products! :)

General Motors Is Sued by Arizona for $3 Billion Over Recalls
    It said “New G.M.,” the term used for the company that emerged from bankruptcy in 2009, “was not born innocent.”

“It is difficult to find a brand whose reputation has taken as great a beating as has the New G.M. brand starting in February 2014 when the first ignition-switch recall occurred,” the complaint said.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/business/arizona-sues-gm-for-3-billion-over-recalls.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=2

Honda underreported 1,729 deaths and injuries
    Honda failed to report 1,729 serious accidents resulting in injuries or deaths to U.S. safety regulators.
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/24/news/companies/honda-underreport-deaths-injuries/index.html?iid=HP_LN
    edited December 2014
    circlew said:
    Recent news "Number Of Cars Earning Top Safety Awards Nearly Doubles". I notice that Toyota and Honda lead, but Ford and GM have less than half the number of models in the top category as compared to the leaders. I would have hoped that the US nameplates (especially GM) would have been able to out-compete companies like Honda and Subaru that are smaller:

npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/23/372729203/number-of-cars-earning-top-safety-awards-nearly-doubles
    I don't think D3 uses as much high tensile advanced metals as Japan leaders. D3 cars are often heavier as a result, but not necessarily stronger.
    Just dug out this old thread to see if the anti-GM folks were touting the recent largest fine ever for HONDA and were posting about it over and over. Guess the recalls are only important if they're GM. Crickets here. Last post December.

Well I spoiled the sleeping topic, so I'll apologize for pointing out the bias and let it go back to sleep.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-fines-honda-70-million-for-failing-to-report-safety-issues-1420740250

Don't forget 199k Subarus and a few Armadas yesterday and 13,500 Lincolns, 9,500 Acuras and 95,000 Souls a few days ago.

The new year is off to a busy start.
    GM recalls over and over again because GM is the leader (at particularly hiding the truth) and seems not to learn from their mistakes.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,093
    edited January 2015
    The Honda fines are twice GM's. No spin, but fact.

But I know how it works here.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    He's back! Happy New year uplander!
    Thank you, you too. I took a self-imposed six-month break from Edmunds.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    ...and you still don't like Ramblers or American Motors ;)
    That's right! LOL! Well, I like the first AMX's and also admit to liking some of those funky mid-seventies Matador coupes! And certain late '60's Ambassador hardtops...but that's it, I tell you!
    Come clean - You just like those Matador's because you were a Adam-12 fan!
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Hey welcome back Uplander, these forums just aren't as interesting when you're not around. Seems these threads are all but dead anymore.
    GM fines have only just begun.

Now we can talk about the ignition recall claims.
    Good to see you're back, Uplanderguy.

Thanks.
    edited January 2015
    Still driving my Cobalt, 86K miles, seven years old in April, sits outside in sub-zero weather, and still on its original battery. My daughter's '09 is too. I'm in Pittsburgh with work this week using the '08.

I believe, more than ever, that more accidents occur as a result of driving with no lights on than due to any recall by any manufacturer. I constantly sees cars driving at night with no lights on--the other night, a new Chrysler 200. If you have automatic lights, why wouldn't you leave them set on 'auto' all the time? I guess I'm a little jaded as my Chevys of over ten years have all had daylight running lights, which makes it impossible to have zero headlights on, ever. Seems pretty basic to me.
    I think part of the problem may be that if auto gets cut off accidently, the dash still lights up and there is some light from the DRL, while driver can't tell in this situation (particularly urban/suburban) that rear lights are out.

I constantly sees cars driving at night with no lights on--the other night, a new Chrysler 200. If you have automatic lights, why wouldn't you leave them set on 'auto' all the time? I guess I'm a little jaded as my Chevys of over ten years have all had daylight running lights, which makes it impossible to have zero headlights on, ever. Seems pretty basic to me.

Not only do some lack DRLs, they don't have automatic systems to turn on the headlamps and running lights.

I see varied brands go by in morning or evening with no lights. I saw a car that I thought was a Ford Explorer with no lights the other evening. Strange.

I see late-model stuff that apparently doesn't even have DRL's. I'm surprised I don't see more effort by manufacturers just to make full-time lights, period,.
    My daughter is still driving the '08 CR-V. 88K miles only maintenance service an 1 update to A/T on a recall.

Outside all the time as well.

No auto lights but DRL. B)
    edited January 2015

I see late-model stuff that apparently doesn't even have DRL's. I'm surprised I don't see more effort by manufacturers just to make full-time lights, period,.

They need a giant recall for all those models without DRLs and retrofit them with automatic light controls so the lights are on at dusk for safety.