Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Stabilitrak Problems

Comments

• pajennpajenn Member Posts: 1

I just bought a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LT with 47K miles on it in December. I purchased an extended warranty and now I'm glad I did! I would not have bought the vehicle if I had seen this thread though. I haven't had any issues yet (fingers crossed) but it has only been a month. Any update on the class action suit?

• hudgrif1hudgrif1 Member Posts: 1

OMG I'm scared to death after reading this thread.
    I have a 2007 Yukon XL with 121K miles on it. Last Tuesday while out running errands the check Traction Control/Stabilitrak lights came on. I was probably going about 45mph when this happened. Pulled up to a stoplight and the car just started to feel like it was running rough. I decided to pull into the closest shopping center parking lot and called my husband. I do not speak car maintenance. I explained what it was doing and he had me turn it off and try to start it again. When I did it almost jumped forward a couple of feet in the parking lot. I told him that I maybe doing damage if I try to drive it to the shop to be checked out. We had it towed to our local dealership for diagnosis. They called a few hours later to tell me that they would have to pull out the engine to really be able to tell what the problem was but it seems to be the main cylinder and it may have damaged the cam shaft. That they estimated the cost to be $2800-$3800. I literally laughed out loud. I told them to hold off at that point.
    The next day we experienced a southern blizzard and everything shut down for several days. They still have not started fixing it because I am at a loss of what to do. They mentioned that I may be better to just have the engine replaced if I was going to already be spending that much. I wouldn't mind trading it in but I know at this point I'm just going to get raped at the dealership. We have had problems with it burning oil for several years and we have to check the oil level every time we fill the tank. The lift gate works sometimes and other times it doesn't.
    I just wanted to try to find some answers tonight about estimated costs for fixing Traction Control issues on a 2007 Yukon XL and now I have discovered all of this. I'm at a loss and confused about what to do with this possible death trap, lemon that I have honestly enjoyed. I have gone almost a week without a car and as a mother of 3, I can't do it any longer.

• jpfjpf Member Posts: 496

hudgrif1: Does your vehicle have the AFM (active fuel management)? GM has had some problems with this engine and may be willing to help. Check out the Silverado forums for AFM issues. Good luck.

• dsmith0923dsmith0923 Member Posts: 1

I just bought a 2007 Suburban with 72,000 miles on 1/17/14. Wish I would have read this post before the purchase. The Traction Control/Stabilitrak service soon lights came on a couple days ago. I took to a chevy dealership and was told that camshaft sensor was bad. That cost me $135 just for them to hook it to the computer. They wanted $788 more to replace the sensor. I thought that was a lot just for a sensor so I had replaced at another location. The traction control/ stabilitrack service soon lights went off. The next morning right back on. Hopefully GM will have a fix for this. If not I think I'm in big trouble since I have a 5 year loan on the truck.

• mncold1mncold1 Member Posts: 1

Possible solution to long list of problems problems. I have a 2007 Suburban from new with 149k miles. My oil pressure gage red lined and the went to zero. The sending unit is on the back the motor. and required me to move many vacuum, fuel and other lines out of the way. After I quit poking around, I took the truck on a 58 mile ride, and every thing started to go wrong. The engine was rough, 4wd Auto quit working, service auto trac, service stabilitrack kept flashing on and off. When the car was shut off and restarted the idle went to 1800rpm and sat there. I also got 2 lean codes on the engine mgmt system. Shifting from 1 to 2 was hard. I had virtually all of the problems that everyone on the site is complaining about.

When I got home I went to this form to understand what was going on on got very frightened.

I decided to retraced my inspection steps and sure enough a vacuum line was knocked off of its port. Further investigation showed the soft rubber connector was split. I repaired the split reassembled, cleared all codes with the code reader, and ALL problems went away. CHECK FOR VACUUM LEAKS!

• sclum79sclum79 Member Posts: 2

It's driving me crazy. I have a 2011 Avalanche, after a tire rotation all heck broke loose. My stabiltrak warning came on, service traction control, and it now sounds like a need a new exhaust. Oh, my a/c heater fan went out. My dealer has no clue. Please help.
    Thanks
    sclum79

• sw686ssrsw686ssr Member Posts: 1

'07 Tahoe with 87k miles. Been there done most except the engine rebuild nothing successful. So now I drive around with a quarter inch drive ratchet and 12mm? socket and when the Stabilcrap/Check Squirrel Cage light comes on, I pull off the road, pop the hood, disconnect the battery and touch the positive cable to ground, re-connect and go on my not-so-merry way for another 300+/- miles until the next Christmas tree light flashes on the dash. Time to trade, my wife is getting unhappy and that is a bad thing.

• sclum79sclum79 Member Posts: 2

Took my 2011 Avalanche to a different dealer. This is what they did. They replace the stearing wheel sensor. They said that this was the cause of the Stabilatrak/service traction control. The lights went off. However, they first had to replace the rear differential which was under warranty. Let me know if this works for anyone else.

• 3kidsanddog3kidsanddog Member Posts: 2

I have a 2008 Suburban LTZ, 97,000 miles and the stabilitrac, check engine light, park assist lights have all been flashing intermittently for almost a year. The first time it happened, I called the dealership and they told me not to worry about it and it went away. Then a few months later it happened again and now this last time it happened, the car was very jittery to drive and losing power. Please include me on your class-action lawsuit, since I have a feeling it is only a matter of time before I need to replace the engine.

• thegreek181thegreek181 Member Posts: 1
    Here's my story...07 Tahoe fully loaded with 62k miles...last month while driving home with my wife and 2 young kids the truck broke down on the George Washington Bridge in NYC on a Saturday evening...rough idle, barely running, stabilitrak and ck engine lights on, banging gears, etc...got it going and made it home. The next day I took it to autozone where they ran a free diag. The #4 was misfiring. I began to research this and saw the issue with the AFM. Now my truck is out of its factory warranty but luckily I purchased an extended warranty. My best friend is a tech at a local GM dealership so I brought it to him. The diagnosis was piston ring failure and the fix is a new engine. Same issue as everyone else. I called GM and they offered to give me 1500 off the price of a new tahoe. What a joke. They also told me that they wouldnt help at all because I haven't purchased enough new GMs in my life time...mind you I'm only 35 and have bought 5 new GMs over the years so that's a crock of [non-permissible content removed]. The warranty company game me hassle too saying they don't cover factory defects. Needless to say it's 3900 for the new motor plus 12 hrs labor time. The warranty company ended up agreeing to paying 3000 towards the motor plus all the labor so atleast I'm covered. Now the reason that I'm posting this is to stress to all of you that we need to band together and file a class action suit against GM. This is ridiculous. Vehicles this expensive should last well over 10 years and the fact that they are aware of this and won't do anything about it is crazy. Let's all get together and do this before someone gets hurtor killed.
  • lance135lance135 Member Posts: 2

With all the recalls going on with GM right now, I'm surprised I haven't seen 07 Tahoes on the list yet. I hope it gets added soon.

• fedup84fedup84 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2014

Hello,
    My husband and i bought a 2008 Chevy Tahoe about a year ago and within 2 months we were experiencing major issues. I was driving and all of a sudden the car seemed like the power would cut in and out, the radio would cut out and then pop back on, the stabilitrac was off, parting assist was off, door locks were going up and down. I had to pull over and shut the car off and let it sit for a few minutes and re-start it. We got it to the dealership and they stated the battery cables were loose so they fixed that. Ok cool, problem solved, right? NOT! About 6 months later we were on our way home from from a party, and it was raining really hard and all the issues started back up again. We were almost home with our newborn and 3 year old in the car so we kept driving. We took it back in and because they couldnt duplicate the issue, there was nothin they could do. This was a few weeks ago, now this past Thursday we started the Tahoe up to go somewhere and it was cutting in and out and now the radio doesnt work at all (new issue that has never happened before).

Anyone have some insight on this issue? We are lost. We dont have a warrenty on the Tahoe so we dont know what kind of costs we are looking at to get it fixed.

Thanks!!!!

• sfcs691sfcs691 Member Posts: 1

My wife has a 2007 Yukon, bought used in 2009 it has had the Stabilitrak problems the whole time. Its been about 6 months now that the oil consumption has started, usually about 1qt every 800 miles. I've been reading forums and talking with GM techs for years All I Hear Is REPLACE ENGINE. SIGN ME UP FOR THE LAWSUIT!! I tried to tell her when she bought it I had been hearing about the problems but she had her mind made up. I'm a Ford owner have been my whole life and have never had issues with them. My wife has always owned GM vehicles, but this one DEFINITLEY HAS ISSUES and it sounds like there are many more like it.

• helpful3helpful3 Member Posts: 1
    So I read every discussion on the problem, and after over $800 and fighting with the dealership.... the max-e fuse was replaced along with some battery cables. I'm sure the cables were fine but that's another issue with mechanics. My tahoe would lose power and activate the door locks as I was driving. Apparently the computer or something would get too hot and trigger all the modules to malfunction. Seriously hope this helps, I saw several comments looking into class action lawsuits
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

We're glad to hear you were able to get your vehicle repaired, helpful3. Hopefully this is a lasting fix. If you happen to have any concerns moving forward, please know we're available via private message to offer our assistance.

Amber N.

GM Customer Care

@helpful3 said:
    So I read every discussion on the problem, and after over $800 and fighting with the dealership.... the max-e fuse was replaced along with some battery cables. I'm sure the cables were fine but that's another issue with mechanics. My tahoe would lose power and activate the door locks as I was driving. Apparently the computer or something would get too hot and trigger all the modules to malfunction. Seriously hope this helps, I saw several comments looking into class action lawsuits

• pamravenelpamravenel Member Posts: 1

Hi, new poster here. I also own a 2007 Tahoe and am having trouble with my stabilitrak. It continues to flicker on and off. Service is of no help. Has anyone else pursued the lawsuit? Is there any other info out there? Thanks in advance!

Hello pamravenel,

We regret to learn you feel legal action is the only way your concerns will be resolved. We recognize your frustration and will gladly look further into this matter for you. If interested, please private message us your VIN, mileage, full contact information and servicing dealership name/location. We're also available via email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

@pamravenel said:
    Hi, new poster here. I also own a 2007 Tahoe and am having trouble with my stabilitrak. It continues to flicker on and off. Service is of no help. Has anyone else pursued the lawsuit? Is there any other info out there? Thanks in advance!

• kmagnuson68kmagnuson68 Member Posts: 2
    Pamravenel - Did you resolve this issue. We have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe that has the same stabiltrak light and engine light going on with decreased accelaration at times and a noise. Our gas station cannot figure it out and just says the engine is shot and to replace the car. We dont know where to find an answer and we see how many people are having this issue.
    - Did you resolve it? Did you join a lawsuit?
    - Any information would be helpful. Thank you.
  • kmagnuson68kmagnuson68 Member Posts: 2
    We are experiencing the same problem with our 2007 Tahoe - staiblitrak light, traction off, check engine light, noise and deceleration problems. Garage says we need a new motor but I have no faith they know what is wrong.

We are experiencing the same problem with our 2007 Tahoe - staiblitrak light, traction off, check engine light, noise and deceleration problems. Garage says we need a new motor but I have no faith they know what is wrong.

Hello kmagnuson68,

We recognize you've experienced various issues with your 2007 Tahoe and we do apologize. Just to clarify, are you working with an independent repair shop? We're more than happy to connect you with a Chevrolet Certified dealership in your area for further assistance. If interested, please private message us your VIN, mileage, contact information and zip code. We're also available via email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Thank you
    Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• byeboopbyeboop Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Chevy Suburban that is in the shop right now and they are replacing the camshaft. I have been having the stability light problem that many of you have mentioned. 66,000 miles, heading into the Tennessee Mountains, the stability light came on and then the engine light came on. Of course we were 600 miles from home and it was Labor Day weekend. Was able to get home for OnStar told us that the engine was misfiring. Took it in and had 2 fuel injectors replaced also was low on oil. I had to remind the dealer that they are the only ones that have changed the oil and it was just changed a month earlier. 2 weeks later light comes on - engine misfire. Day come to take it in and the service engine light goes off. Dealer says that I can come in if it happens again which it did 2 weeks later. Got a call today and they are replacing the camshaft. So glad that I have found this forum. Thinking that it might be the right time to trade in the beast for a different car!
  • rcv_varcv_va Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Chevy Suburban LTZ. Beautiful vehicle.... having issues with the stabilitrak/ traction control/ rough idle/ multiple mis-fires/ oil consumption/ etc. Mostly, I have issues with the dealership where I bought this used in February of this year. This was a "certified" used vehicle and I got a 12/12 warranty. I took the truck in 3 separate time under warranty to no avail. Now it is out of warranty, so I contacted GM directly, and they have no record of the 3 previous visits. I brought this to the attention of the dealership and they said it must be a GM issue. I asked for the regional service manager's contact info and was told "no." I asked for the contact info for the previous owners, and was told "no." I asked them to work with me to repair, they offered to "take care of me" if I trade to a different vehicle. I entertained the idea, but when they switched sales managers on me, the new guy didn't want to listen and definitely didn't "take care of me." They tried to lowball me on the trade in, and I left.

I want my truck fixed or I want to be part of the lawsuit, if one is filed. Does anyone have any information about how to fix the issues or the lawsuit? I read the forum string (as well as many other on the internet describing the ailments of the 5.3L engine) and I see a myriad of "fixes," but I am looking for the real fix. I could switch to a Ford, but I have driven a Chevy Suburban for the last 20 years. I am a big guy and love the room and comfort. I wish I loved the mechanical aspects as well.
    rcv_va said:

I have a 2009 Chevy Suburban LTZ. Beautiful vehicle.... having issues with the stabilitrak/ traction control/ rough idle/ multiple mis-fires/ oil consumption/ etc. Mostly, I have issues with the dealership where I bought this used in February of this year. This was a "certified" used vehicle and I got a 12/12 warranty. I took the truck in 3 separate time under warranty to no avail. Now it is out of warranty, so I contacted GM directly, and they have no record of the 3 previous visits. I brought this to the attention of the dealership and they said it must be a GM issue. I asked for the regional service manager's contact info and was told "no." I asked for the contact info for the previous owners, and was told "no." I asked them to work with me to repair, they offered to "take care of me" if I trade to a different vehicle. I entertained the idea, but when they switched sales managers on me, the new guy didn't want to listen and definitely didn't "take care of me." They tried to lowball me on the trade in, and I left.

I want my truck fixed or I want to be part of the lawsuit, if one is filed. Does anyone have any information about how to fix the issues or the lawsuit? I read the forum string (as well as many other on the internet describing the ailments of the 5.3L engine) and I see a myriad of "fixes," but I am looking for the real fix. I could switch to a Ford, but I have driven a Chevy Suburban for the last 20 years. I am a big guy and love the room and comfort. I wish I loved the mechanical aspects as well.

Hey there,

I apologize for the disheartening experience with your dealership. If you need any additional assistance, we would be happy to look into this further and find the right dealership for you. Please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com along with your VIN, current mileage and contact info.

Anisha T (assisting Patsy)
    GM Customer Care
  • tcti01tcti01 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2008 Suburban with less than 60k on it a little over a month ago. A week ago it started with the check engine and random stabilitrak light with a slightly rough idle.  Now it's lost power and runs really rough.  I thought I was getting a good deal because of the low miles.  I figured it's a Chevy truck should be rock solid I've owned them before with no major issues.  Now I'm wondering if I made a big mistake.  Am I going to be stuck paying for these repairs?  Has anyone stated this class action law suit yet?  If so I'm in. This shouldn't happen on a one owner vehicle always serviced at the dealer with this few miles 
    gmcustsvc said:
    I have a 2009 Chevy Suburban LTZ. Beautiful vehicle.... having issues with the stabilitrak/ traction control/ rough idle/ multiple mis-fires/ oil consumption/ etc. Mostly, I have issues with the dealership where I bought this used in February of this year. This was a "certified" used vehicle and I got a 12/12 warranty. I took the truck in 3 separate time under warranty to no avail. Now it is out of warranty, so I contacted GM directly, and they have no record of the 3 previous visits. I brought this to the attention of the dealership and they said it must be a GM issue. I asked for the regional service manager's contact info and was told "no." I asked for the contact info for the previous owners, and was told "no." I asked them to work with me to repair, they offered to "take care of me" if I trade to a different vehicle. I entertained the idea, but when they switched sales managers on me, the new guy didn't want to listen and definitely didn't "take care of me." They tried to lowball me on the trade in, and I left. I want my truck fixed or I want to be part of the lawsuit, if one is filed. Does anyone have any information about how to fix the issues or the lawsuit? I read the forum string (as well as many other on the internet describing the ailments of the 5.3L engine) and I see a myriad of "fixes," but I am looking for the real fix. I could switch to a Ford, but I have driven a Chevy Suburban for the last 20 years. I am a big guy and love the room and comfort. I wish I loved the mechanical aspects as well.
    Hey there, I apologize for the disheartening experience with your dealership. If you need any additional assistance, we would be happy to look into this further and find the right dealership for you. Please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com along with your VIN, current mileage and contact info. Anisha T (assisting Patsy) GM Customer Care
    The email above doesn't work
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Probably just a net glitch - I guess you can use their online email form too.
  • blessedmommieblessedmommie Member Posts: 1
    Sorry in advance for the long post....

I have a 2007 Chevy Suburban loaded and am the original owner. It has ALWAYS burned through oil (but we MAY have gotten the problem fixed couple weeks ago.) We are going to be keeping an eye on it. (Side note: Less than a week after the repair, the gauge suddenly read 0 pressure. We took it back and they (independent shop, I've had it with the crooks at the dealership!) said it was a faulty part and it was replaced w/o charge, been ok since.)

Exactly one year ago I started having problems with the "service stabilitrack / traction control" warnings in my dash. I don't think it is a coincidence that it also began when we were in snowy/cold weather as others have mentioned same issue, driving home down a mountain with our 3 children in the car and the warnings flash, engine reduces to 25 mph (what I learned is called "safe mode"). We pull over, turn the engine off, then it wouldn't start. We make a call to a friend at a GM dealer and he said to turn the ignition on/off 5 times to reset it. We had to do this about 6 times coming down the hill. We did try to see if we could get it towed home but since here were 5 of us, there wasn't anyway to stay together with our children in a towtruck and we didn't want any of us stranded on the said of the road while it was towed and waited for another ride.

Anyway, ever since then, every single morning - when it was cold outside - I started my car to warm it up to take the kids to school, after about 3 minutes, I'd hear 3 dings then warnings of "service stabilitrack / traction control" "stabilitrack off / traction control off". When I put it into gear to drive it jerked very hard and shifted very hard in 1st and 2nd. I would basically coast through my neighborhood so it wouldn't shift then eventually it would go away and drive normally. Of course no one has ever heard of this problem and thought it was ridiculous that the cold had anything to do with out. We did find a new independent repair shop that listened to me but of course it wouldn't ever happen once I drove it there. Well sure enough after nursing it through the winter (although mild here in CA), the problem completely stopped.

But of course, just like I said it would, as soon as it started getting cold again it has started all over again. However, it happens constantly now! Now it happens every time I get back in my car to drive, any time of the day. The repair shop had it for a week and they don't know what is causing it. They said they found a cam shaft that is worn and needs to be replaced but they agree that would be strange to be causing that but they cannot find anything else wrong. They actually spent some time contacting other experts as well. I do trust them but I want to do more research before I spend over $2500 that I don't really have. They have actually been very respectful unlike othe replaces when dealing with a woman. My dad didn't raise an idiot and I've driven this car for 8 years now! Ha-ha! I am going to look further into the links I saw posted that refer to GM notifications. I'm going to be forwarding this forum to my mechanic in the meantime.

Please let me know if there is any further progress in a class action lawsuit. I would join in. This has been literally driving me crazy. Like the rest of you, I do not believe GM doesn't know exactly what the problem is - they just don't want to lose money recalling thousands of their vehicles. It's shameful they won't take car of this problem when we are the ones keeping them in business by buying American!
  • rcv_varcv_va Member Posts: 2
    I see GM Customer Service responded to my post. It is sad, they always say the same thing. I haven't seen one post from anyone advising GM Customer Service actually resolved the issue.

To GM Customer Service: Thank you for your offer. I did have a horrible experience with the dealership, but from all of the posts in all of the sites I visited, it appears the issue is actually with GM/Chevrolet, and their reluctance to actually correct the issue, or advise us of the true cause of these issues. With all of the complaints about the 5.3 liter ('07 - '09) all over the internet, If GM/Chevrolet actually cared, we would have seen a recall by now, or at least an offer to fix/correct the issue at a reduced cost. It appears the best way to resolve this issue is to trade the Suburban for a Ford truck, and I never thought I would ever say those words, as I've drive Chevy Suburbans for 20 years.
  • lhs22lhs22 Member Posts: 1
    Hey was just wondering if anything has come out of this as far.I have owned 3 chevy suburbans and have never experinced this. I just bought a 2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ with 90,000 miles on it and I am having the same issues first my car uses oil and now there is a ticking coming from the motor and my mechanic said it is the pistons and rods from the oil consumption and soon I will need a new motor. About 2 months ago my car just wouldn't crank somedays I could get in it and it would and sometimes it wouldn't and the chevy dealer doesn't no why.Today my service traction control came on and it is shifting hard from 1st to 2nd and my mechanic told me right now he is not sure what is going on. I have had nothing but problems from this car since I have gotten it. I love Chevy but today I found this forum and I am said to know that it is not just a lemon it is all the suburbans and tahoes 07-09 and chevy will do nothing. I don't know if I will be a devoted chevy buyer anymore.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742

But of course, just like I said it would, as soon as it started getting cold again it has started all over again. However, it happens constantly now! Now it happens every time I get back in my car to drive, any time of the day. The repair shop had it for a week and they don't know what is causing it. They said they found a cam shaft that is worn and needs to be replaced but they agree that would be strange to be causing that but they cannot find anything else wrong. They actually spent some time contacting other experts as well.

Like the rest of you, I do not believe GM doesn't know exactly what the problem is - they just don't want to lose money recalling thousands of their vehicles. It's shameful they won't take car of this problem when we are the ones keeping them in business by buying American!

There isn't a single cause for the reported issues. Some of these are a very simple direct repairs and some of them really require a lot of testing and patience to come up with a solution. During the week that the shop had your car they easily may have invested ten to fifteen hours worth of time that in all likelihood they didn't charge for. (Am I correct in that? Your diagnostic fee should have been more than a grand so far if they had charged for the time that they likely invested. ) The hidden part is that usually means the technician as well didn't get paid for the time that he/she invested studying and measuring in the effort to pinpoint the source of the trouble. As someone that does work at the level required to repair one of these issues I have several thousands of hours in unpaid time over my career as I learned to be proficient at difficult diagnostics. The fact that I have stayed with it is what makes me the exception, a lot of the people who could have been great techs and could have learned to solve problems like this efficiently left the trade for other careers and who can blame them for that? So don't blame GM beyond the point that they have contributed to there being a shortage of qualified technicians who would make fixing your car just another day "in the office".

Do you have an explanation of the trouble codes (if any) and the data that has them believing that a camshaft wear problem exists and how that associates to the symptoms you described? Anything that can case certain trouble codes to set will result in the system shutting down the traction control (stabilitrack). There are common issues with the throttle body coking (needing cleaned), and the throttle position sensors failing (some are repaired with a new TPS and some need a new throttle body) as well as software updates (re-flashes). These are what everyone jumps on right away as pattern failures and when they fix the car everyone is happy, but doing pattern failure fixes don't teach the skills that need to be applied when a car has a fault that doesn't fit the pattern.

BTW your post mentioned a failure a year prior and the car had to be towed. What was done at that time? One of the pattern fixes? (Throttle body? TPS ? Some other electrical issue? )

• lin78lin78 Member Posts: 1
    gmcustsvc said:
    Hello kmagnuson68, We recognize you've experienced various issues with your 2007 Tahoe and we do apologize. Just to clarify, are you working with an independent repair shop? We're more than happy to connect you with a Chevrolet Certified dealership in your area for further assistance. If interested, please private message us your VIN, mileage, contact information and zip code. We're also available via email at socialmedia@gm.com. Thank you Amber N. GM Customer Care
    So did anybody get help from GM? I see they tell people to private message them but nothing is resolved. I had problems with my 2007 chevy tahoe when it had 52,000 and it was still under warranty. I have taken it to 4 different CERTIFIED CHEVY DEALERSHIPS FOR SERVICE and none of them can figure out what is wrong with my tahoe. I contacted GM about it from the beginning and they have done NOTHING FOR ME AT ALL wanting me to pay for the dealer to keep checking. I have paid almost $1,000 so far and the "CERTIFIED MECHANICS" can't give me an answer. Some said they couldn't duplicate the problem even after they checked the codes. I am tired of General Motors not taking care of their customers. Today I chatted with 3 different customer service representatives at GM and I guess they were all laughing at me sitting next to each other. They even ended the chat because I asked them for a copy of the dates I took my tahoe to the dealership and for the dates I called them GM about the issues. They said they couldn't provide them to me after one of them said he could. I will not stop. I will find a lawyer and we need to file a lawsuit. They got bailed out by the American People and they don't care about us. I almost got in an accident because my tahoe jumps every time I stop at the stop light. I will hold GM accountable for any accidents. This is unacceptable. So many people with the SAME EXACT ISSUES. If you contact GM about your tahoe, make sure you save all the conversations. I took screen shots of all 3 conversations. I also have my documents from each time I paid the dealership for them to tell me they could't duplicate the problem. My car is out of warranty now but IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY when the problems started and GM KNOWS THIS. THEY HAVE THE CALL LOGS FROM EACH TIME I CALLED. I WILL NOT GO AWAY. 
  • jcor80jcor80 Member Posts: 1
    I have all the same problems just hit 80k has anybody figured out what to do yet?
  • 918rico918rico Member Posts: 2
    2007 Chevy Tahoe >100,000 miles on it and I am having the same issues as everyone in this blog. Burns a quart of oil between oil changes, ticking sound coming from the engine, changed oil sensor 3x as my oil pressure gauge reads zero, transmission pulls hard from 1st into 2nd gear as if it had a shift kit, is hesitant with rough idling at a complete stop. Dash cluster warnings "SERVICE STABILITRAK" "ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED" "OIL PRESSURE LOW STOP ENGINE" "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL". Error Codes PO641, PO521, PO107, PO106. Issue started way before my warranty expired but of course dealer said, "it was bad fuel" and the Tahoe needed throttle body cleaning and along with fuel injectors; Not Cheap! Well, couple of months fly by and it started acting up again.Took it back and now it was an intake manifold sensor $300. Worked well for another few months. Well as you all know this blog has no happy endings and our safety concerns don't go away. Tahoe took a [non-permissible content removed] while driving, like it completely stopped while in traffic. Engine would turn but would not start. Towed it to Freeway Chevrolet in Chandler AZ & now they say it's the Electronic Control Box $800 to get it fixed. They should have replaced this the first time around when it was under warranty.They played me as they have others. Only in America my friends...Do we all qualify for a Class Action Lawsuit?
  • 918rico918rico Member Posts: 2
    OK, picked up my Tahoe from dealer yesterday 1/5/15 after paying $929.01 w/Labor/Taxes. They replaced the ECM with a refurnished module part #19210738 $354.71, Installed Oil Pressure Sensor part #12616646 $105.46, Installed AC Refrigerant Temperature Sensor part #13502759 $78.33. They suggested I replace the driver side engine mount as it's worn out, replace or clean the throttle body, and clean the fuel injectors. So i decided to take it upon myself to replace the throttle body part #12580760 $314.44 and you also need to replace the rubber gasket part #12589235 $38.36. I later kicked myself in the rear after finding them on Ebay for a lot less money. Throttle body was $125.99 and the gasket was $13.79, same exact AC Delco GM Part I paid at the dealer. Lets do the math, would you prefer paying $352.80 from the Dealer or $139.78 from eBay. I'm Not including Taxes or Shipping & Receiving. I also could have ordered the other parts through eBay refurnished module part #19210738 $150, Oil Pressure Sensor part #12616646 $15, AC Refrigerant Temperature Sensor part #13502759 $12. So, bottom line I paid a total of $1,271.29 yesterday from purchasing the parts through Freeway Chevrolet in Chandler AZ and having them install the listed items. I could have spent a lot less if I had done some research and bought the items from a different source. I totaled the amount of $316.78 for all the items listed I "SHOULD" have ordered through eBay, not including shipping and receiving. All I have to say is NICE WORK CHEVY!!
  • jbailey522jbailey522 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Okay new to this whole forum thing but here goes…my mother has a 2008 suburban ltz purchased certified used with 70000 miles 3 years ago ….now the fun starts in the last 6 months i have replaced ALL the lifters TWICE both valve covers the throttle body oil pump and COUNTLESS other things (of course one at a time….thanks mom!!!) now after 3 or 4 months of local driving (20-50 miles daily) the check engine service stabilitrak service traction control lights are ALL on with a blinking check engine light(which I'm told is NEVER good) AND a lifter tap back again…GM has done [non-permissible content removed] to address the problem i have been to every mechanic in the state of maryland and no one can fix it HELP!!! any class action suit pending SIGN ME UP i am a die had chevy man but this is ridiculous ALSO why i don't own ANYTHING built after 1994(94 chevy 3500 300k on the odo and 86 cutlass with a 383 stroker no problems) THANKS to all the tree huggers emissions are the BAIN of my existence!!!!
    Here's an update on my situation. I took my vehicle to the local dealer.  They ended up replacing the lifters, cam, intake, and all the gaskets involved.  It ended up costing me $1200 the same deal that others have got 60% of what the job is normally. I was going to post back as soon as I found out the cost and what was wrong.  I decided not to because I was upset about the situation and don't like to post anything negative unless it's really deserved. I figured I would let time pass to not be so emotional about having to spend the money right before the Holiday's. Sorry kids Santa didn't come this year because the money went towards his new sleigh being repaired.  After a while I figured it could be worse I could have been stuck paying the full amount.  Besides I got the sense that the people at the dealer were really trying to help.  As soon as I had decided to post a positive comment on the situation my check engine light came on again.  I had the code checked and was told it was the catalytic converter by an independent shop.  They said If I had work done I little oil might have soiled in and it just needed to burn off.  They thought with the low miles on the vehicle it shouldn't need to be replaced so soon.  This was a couple of weeks ago.  Now I'm getting the same symptoms again as before like most of you are getting with the traction control light flashing and no power.  I've got an appointment to take it back to the dealer in a couple of days.  I have a feeling I'm going to have to come our of picket even more.  I've been a life long Chevy man but after this I don't think I'll ever purchase another Chevy GM product.  I even find myself bad talking Chevy something I've never done before.  Every time I get a comment on my Suburban I find myself telling them the story of my issues with the active fuel management and how disappointed am with it compared to older Suburbans I've owned.  I've even inadvertently convinced  a friend that was looking at a new Chevy truck to not purchase it.  He ended up with a Ford instead.  Before my issue I would have been upset by a friend choosing Ford over Chevy.  Now I don't blame them, I'll probably do the same myself. Chevy if you are listening take care of these issues mistakes get made when designing new products, but don't make the consumer pay for it. Good luck to all that are having these problems 
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    :'(

Good luck and please keep us posted. And ask about the emissions warranty too. Usually it's 8 years, 80k miles.
  • upsidedown2015upsidedown2015 Member Posts: 1
    Hi fellow tahoers.I have been reading forums all over internet for days and days list is longer than I can imagine.I myself can not believe a recall has not been issued on these 2007 chevy tahoes.I own a 2007 chevy Tahoe 5.3 .I purchase last year used with 10900miles on it now have 125000mi.I purchased for $20000 I still owe $15000 on it ,totally upsidedown in it.Problems started 2 months ago ,I noticed ticking knocking noise,then check engine light started flashing and Stabilitrac /traction control started car started shaking and idiling weird and shook and jerked when I took off from 1-2 gear while im sitting at red light feels like its going to shut off,its a horrible mess.Well take it to my mechanic he says maybe try tune up and his machine was reading TPS and code of P0304 cylinder 4 misfire couldn't figure out problem .So I get tune up for $250 and change Throttle body another $200 still nothing changed,Tahoe doing same thing I take to local dealership Pay another$100 to put on their expensive machine ,They take my motor apart and tell me I need new cam shaft and lifters but tell me I,m better off just buying a new motor because there's a chance same problems may occur again and price to fix was $4000 ,new motor was $6000 so might as well buy new motor.So after days of research online,there are hundreds of thousands of people with these same tahoes with the same exact problems.I called GM trying to get a little assistance but they tell me my car is not in warranty no more and my VIN has no issues,How in the world are they going to tell me they can diagnose according to my VIN ,I know I don't have low miles but I don't have high enough miles for a new motor.I have only had my car for 15,000 mi ......true I bought a lemon .VIN ,miles and year of my Tahoe doesn't matter this is an ongoing and well known problem with this vehicle 5.3l that consumers are paying for .Since I do not have $6000 I am going to drive it until it dies I have no choice and hope its not a freezing day when I have my 5 yr old son in the car when it breaks down .Its sad I owe so much on this car cant trade in with bad motor or sale it.Gm is so full of *%$#,they told me since I bought it used that I don't know how the owner before me treated the vehicle ,well I told them there was a folder in vehicle when I bought it that had every maintenance record done to it since it came off show room floor,now what other excuse do u have,that my car is just old and its wear and tear,I have never heard of any vehicle needing a new motor at 125000mi as much as Chevrolet,thats ridiculous.I want to hear your excuses in court. GM I hope You sleep good at night Knowing this is a well known problemand wont do anything about it ....But I will tell you when that Class Action Lawsuit is started if one hasn't been already I will be the first in line.Everyone don't get caught up in Chevrolet vehicles this is my 2nd one .I will never purchase another one .I still have a Toyota 4runner 220000 miles ,never missed a beat never a problem ,Toyota and Nissan will always get my business from now on ,and will make sure anyone I run into will know how low down dirty crooked GM is.I have called 2 different class action attorneys waiting to hear back from them.Please everyone DO NOT buy anything from GM ...Chevrolet....from my personal experience and thousands of others.....Do your research first,I sure didn't.

Okay new to this whole forum thing but here goes…my mother has a 2008 suburban ltz purchased certified used with 70000 miles 3 years ago ….now the fun starts in the last 6 months i have replaced ALL the lifters TWICE both valve covers the throttle body oil pump and COUNTLESS other things (of course one at a time….thanks mom!!!) now after 3 or 4 months of local driving (20-50 miles daily) the check engine service stabilitrak service traction control lights are ALL on with a blinking check engine light(which I'm told is NEVER good) AND a lifter tap back again…GM has done [non-permissible content removed] to address the problem i have been to every mechanic in the state of maryland and no one can fix it HELP!!! any class action suit pending SIGN ME UP i am a die had chevy man but this is ridiculous ALSO why i don't own ANYTHING built after 1994(94 chevy 3500 300k on the odo and 86 cutlass with a 383 stroker no problems) THANKS to all the tree huggers emissions are the BAIN of my existence!!!!

Hi jbailey522,

We're truly sorry to hear about this issue with your mom's vehicle. I understand you've worked with various mechanics in your area, but just to clarify, have you worked with a GM Certified Service Center since this issue occurred? If you'd like to send the VIN, full contact information, and preferred dealer via private message we'll gladly document your concerns on file and do what we can on our end to help.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    stever said:
    :'( Good luck and please keep us posted. And ask about the emissions warranty too. Usually it's 8 years, 80k miles.
    Thanks stever, I didn't realize the emissions warranty was that long.  It's the catalytic converter that's bad and is covered under warranty. I'll have to pay for the 02 sensor they say also needs to be replaced. They just called told me the work is complete, I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I'll Post back in a few days. 
  • teamstrikerteamstriker Member Posts: 1
    My first post here too and I'm sorry to make it. We have a 2008 suburban LTZ purchased used 4+ years ago which now has 115k miles on it. My wife loves the car. In December we had the same problems many others have had - ticking, misfires, SES light on, stabilitrac light on, etc. My local garage said it could be lifters and the cam shaft so I took it to the dealer. They replaced the throttle body, spark plugs, wires, did a fuel service and got me back on the road for $1,200. Was happy not to have an engine problem even after paying a pretty penny... for the time being. This weekend the ticking came back and Sunday night was incredibly loud so we took it to the dealer Monday morning. They said the #1 lifter had collapsed and recommended that all be repaired ($3,500) and if the camshaft was worn the total would be $4,700. Or, they wrote on my recommended services fax that I could "Replace engine (new engine may be better option than repair)." I like our dealer and the service manager has been good over the years but this was too much for me especially after 10 minutes on the internet reveals a gazillion stories that are all the same. At any rate, I called GM and they contacted me right away on Wednesday morning. I explained my situation to the customer service rep and asked for some assistance with the repair. She told me that the car was out of warranty and they would not help share with the cost. I told her that I knew I was out of warranty but that this was a very common issue that surely GM was aware of and they should be willing to help. She then told me that I had bought the car used and it "would have made a difference" if I was the original owner. Never mind that I bought it from a Chevy dealer. I get the message - I am a second class owner. I asked to speak to her supervisor and she said someone would call within 24 hours. It's been longer than that (by a half day) and no call back. Further evidence on how common this thing is... I work in a small office with 6 other people, one of whom has a Suburban like me. I was complaining to her about my issue and she said that she had all the lifters repaired on hers too. I'm really hoping GM will help, but if they don't, any advice on whether to repair or trade the car in?
  • tiredofmychevytiredofmychevy Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    I have read every single post. All 9 pages. I have a chevy avalanche 07. Bought it last February. Was in the shop for lifters two weeks later. I had the traction control problems too!  Everything all of you are saying. My truck now has 97000. I bought it with 70000. Yes I drive a lot. The traction control problem started Thursday night,  it is now Monday and I was just told my engine is not fixable. I guess I throw a shaft if that makes sense. I bought it again with 70000 11 months ago. I treaded my truck great. Never any 4 wheel, never any hi speeds. Just high way at 65. I had a 2002 gmc 1500 before this truck and sold it for $3500 with 230000. My truck did not make 100000. I always talked ford down but even their worst stories are not as bad as this. My truck has had about $8000 worth of repairs in 11 months. Four lifters were done 10 months ago. I am done with gm. And the gm representatives that pop up every few post are fake and just there to make people think something is happening. The two things I got from this form is. Do not but a gm from 2003 to 2013. And gm will never own up it what they did wrong. You think this is only a few million worth of mess ups you are dead wrong. The [non-permissible content removed] up by gm is hundreds of millions of dollars. We are paying that!  Us!  I am looking forward to giving ford a chance. I now have a$16000 loan with a blown engine that will cost me $7-8000 to fix. From my local gm dealer.  The sad part " I read this form before I bought it". I thought all of you were full of it. I am sorry for thinking that now. You live and learn and that us what I am doing. Do not buy you will regret it I guarantee it 
  • jtool1972jtool1972 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 tahoe with stabilitrack issue happened 3 times now I took pictures of all the lights bells and whistles going off with my phone. Now im am starting to track oil consumption. 
  • montanadaymontanaday Member Posts: 2
    I am so mad and frustrated right now. We had bought a 2000 Chevy brand new right off the lot and had to replace the fuel gauge just like every other owner of a Chevy that year. In addition we had to replace the radio, headliner piece, door motors, and my son who bought it from us had to replace the transmission at 55,000 miles. Ridiculous and I swore I would never buy another Chevy. We are not hard on our rigs, we had a 76 Ford that we were tough on, getting wood and four wheeling, our Chevy's have only been used on road and very few miles a year. My husband loves Chevy's so we bought a 2009 Chevy brand new right off the lot, even though I wanted to buy Ford. Now at 36,000 miles we are looking at $800 to have our Stabilitrak issues solved. This wasn't caused by our driving, we put 7,000 easy gentle miles on this rig a year. It's about time for Chevy to step up. Like I said, everyone who had a 2000 Chevy had the fuel gauge issue, and now it seems everyone is getting this Stabilitrak issue. I am going to contact Chevy and if they don't offer some sort of resolution for my barely out of warranty truck with 36,000 miles on it I will go Ford or Dodge and never look back. Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice shame on me.
  • channelseventychannelseventy Member Posts: 2
    Our 2010 Chevy Suburban had the same faults. Every dealer gave high dollar quotes saying the problem was everything from the computer, to the cat. converter, bad lifters, bad transmission, etc etc. One of the clerks at Autozone said it was a bad coil pack. We bought one coil pack and changed out one at a time until the truck suddenly ran great. The problem was a bad coil pack on cylinder 4. Coil pack was $80 and shade tree mechanic's time was $50.
  • jprepublicjprepublic Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 Suburban and having all same issues... Stabilitrak, traction, burning oil etc.....
    Seems like nobody resolve the issues... Dealer told me to replace engine than will be fine. check engine light is on because of burning oil and that leads to stabilitrak, traction issue and lead to harsh change gear between 1st to 2nd....Told me $3700 for rebuilt engine or $6100 for new engine replacement.
    Still have question if I replace with new engine, will everything be fine?????
  • cindygail11cindygail11 Member Posts: 1
    I started having the problem after we changed the oil pressure sensor yesterday. The Stabilitrak light and hard shift from 1 to 2. I've not reset the computer again yet but will try it shortly today. Hoping it's just a computer reset issue....
  • mikehuskeymikehuskey Member Posts: 2
    Just to share my experience to hopefully help someone else, we have experienced the same issues with our 2008 suburban. For several days we have searched and read countless sites trying to find what was causing the rough idle, stabilitrak warning, and the hard shift from 1st to 2nd... After going by advance auto, O'Reilly's, and Auto Zone and having them hook up the code reader, we kept getting several codes. From oil pressure sensor warnings (which I replaced first) to a warning related to the stabilitrak needing serviced. But the code that turned out to be the fix to our issues was the multiple misfires on our number 7 spark plug. One of the guys at AutoZone suggested that it was most likely the coil pack that was the problem. With the vehicle running rougher and rougher I (not a mechanic by no means) swapped the ignition coil pack on #7 with #5 to see if the misfire code would then switch to #5 as well. Running rough I went back to two different stores to run the diagnostics and it was still showing up as the #7 misfiring. At that point the automotive angel nudged me to go ahead and buy a new spark plug. After an hour of trying to find my socket wrench and busting a knuckle getting the old spark plug out, I was a little shocked to see the old spark plug corroded and pretty ugly to look at. I got the new plug in and crossed my first fingers... And upon starting her up she ran like a top. No more warning lights... No more service the stabilitrak errors... And everything seems to be great. Not sure if this will fix everyone's problem, but after $7 for a new plug and a skinned knuckle the problem seems to be fixed. Hope this helps someone and good luck! 
  • atc007atc007 Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2015
    I am at a COMPLETE and utter loss of words... have we as Americans TRULY become so stupid to simply think ANY of this 1 million word thread is OK????? Families losing brakes, losing steering, brakes locking up,engines shutting off. Sometimes ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For Gods sake..... Thousands of posts of the SAME exact things happening all around the world. And we are so damn gullible we roll into our GM dealer and ,,,,,,,,,PAY them,,,,,,to fix what is extraordinarily clearly a WARRANTY RECALL issue?? I just bought a 07 LTZ Burban Friday afternoon. THE flagship of this disgusting companies fleet. TV's everywhere, power boards, the works. So, I know going in, the boards are stuck out,and the airbag light is on as well as the fr left TPS isn't working. Sound familiar,oh yeah,,it also uses a ton of oil, the PO honestly tells me, So I'll keep an eye on it. Receipts of religious maintenance using Nothing but Mobil one. Sat am,,, batteries dead,,,NOT The first time GM had a pile in my garage dead the very first AM... New battery,,, back it out. Service stabilitrak, traction control... D in law takes my Handicapped Brother to an event,,all is well. She likes big land yachts... Leaving in bumper to bumper traffic,,,rear brakes are locking up,,screeching tires. She is NOT on the brakes!

So, I get on here to find not only am I not alone, But this is simply par for course!! I am a very reasonable fella. I can't use my local stealer, Eighmey Buick/Chevrolet in Troy PA. I was there 3 weeks ago with my Loaded Outlook XR. I had bought 2 new OE AC Delco struts to have installed. They sent me and my family of FOUR special needs out the door and down the road with a steering wheel OVER a 1/8 turn off alignment and a completely broken off unhooked swaybar!! Pass fr wheel dangling,clattering and slapping! GM FACTORY trained BUFFOONS....So I run the VIN,, figuring there must be some recalls imminent! In poking around under the hood researching the power boards and dead battery, I noticed my cute little fusible link was gone,MIA ,for my Heated washer fluid. Well, turns out,,,,and trust me,,, Hollywood can't make this [non-permissible content removed] up!!! My amazing wonder of GM's best and fanciest designs has zero recalls outstanding :angry: ,,,BUT! On 10/16/07 it had a battery short problem, sound familiar?. On 12/17/08, it had a tsb to put in another harness for the heated washer fluid,,,and on 11/29/13,,,,wait for it!!! It had a tsb,,REMOVE heated washer !!!!! After FIVE years,,, this despicable filthy dirty company could not figure out a simple freaking heated washer component and had to DICTATE ON RECORD, They removed it all together! So, here I am, I have the same exact POS sitting in my driveway the rest of you do. Am I going to go beg and grovel,ohh please can I PAY you thousands and thousands more of my hard earned money to replace my engine with a bad oil pan design and a bad lifter design? No, I am going to be completely and totally taken care of,or this thread and the hundreds identical to it WILL BE forwarded to lawyers offices that do nothing but specializing in suing vehicle manufacturers. BTW, the comp says this vehicle has averaged 15.4 MPG , what are the rest of you seeing for mileage? Anyone in for starting a class action lawsuit? I am. Thanx and good luck to anyone seeing this :(
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    @atc007 You had your independant mechanic check this 8 year old vehicle out before you bought it and they didn't find any of these issues? I think I'd find a better mechanic.