Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Water Leaks

123457»

Comments

• hmarie7hmarie7 Member Posts: 7
    Sarah. I have spoken to them many times, one as recent as my last post. What did I get told? That I'm over 100k miles. Well guess what? I wasn't over 100k miles when YOUR dealership FAILED to fix it right the previous times. If it had then the darn mileage wouldn't be an issue. A car should not leak at these levels!! Where's my car now? In the drive way with a tarp over it so that it will start in the morning and I can take my kids to school without water coming out the overhead lights and getting them wet. And poor me will be taking the tarp off to go to work and putting it back on when I get there!!! When will GM recall this. We should not have to go through this! How many complaints have to be made to do a recall? or what has to be done? I'm sure there are enough people, whatever the number is. :lemon: :lemon:
  • lanceb1lanceb1 Member Posts: 5
    Day 36 Update - I feel like I'm on a deserted island keeping a journal. Maybe GM will send me a complimentary beach ball named Wilson to go with my water and desolation.

GM finally came back and 'declined repair assistance'. Told us to work a trade-in with the dealer. The whole premise of their argument is that the sun-roof drainage tubes are customer maintenance responsibility and should only cost about $25-$30 for service.

I've asked GM to send me written documentation of their stance as well as the place where a consumer is told the tubes are regular maintenance. Even after they did the recall on the heated windshield wiper fluid they stuck a little pamphlet in the owners manual detailing the work. There is nothing similar for the tube recall.

Clearly, due to all of the documented issues, this is some level of consumer fraud being perpetuated by General Motors. Some actuary group within GM has teamed with the GM legal staff to give GM an official stance. I do fear there will ultimately be safety issues as the water impacted electronics ultimately control things like airbags and other devices. Not to mention the mold issues.

To think, we as tax payers bailed them out and then they can turn and stick it to us. Maybe a change.org petition or Facebook account might get their attention and allow us to mobilize enough to get together to legally protest their manufacturing ignorance. Problems can and do arise but GM should be obligated to have an acceptable process in place for remediation. GM should not be allowed to arbitrarily put the onus back on their customers when saftey is on the line.
  • lovecglovecg Member Posts: 2
    Their first defense when we took our 2012 in for leaking throughout was the drain tubes. Next they said that the air conditioner cover was leaking into the floorboard. When those things didn't fix it, they finally got around to taking down the headliner and taking out the dashboard to look for the leak(s). With ours still being under warranty, they kept us in a loaner for weeks until they could finally see the water coming in around the back moonroof where it wasn't installed correctly. I am thankful that the leak showed itself before our warranty period expired. It would have cost us thousands in labor and rental car for the 5 weeks that they kept our car in the shop. When I asked about leaking Acadias, they told us the years prior to 2010 leaked, but not the newer ones. I say all of this because I wonder if they fix your drain tubes, if it will continue to leak from somewhere else, proving that it wasn't the drain tubes in the first place.
  • acadiamom209acadiamom209 Member Posts: 2
    A huge weight has been lifted off of me as of today. I got rid of my 2008 ACADIA (and lost a ton of money because I owed more than it was worth). Sadly, I really loved that car UNTIL the throttle got stuck and it sent me accelerating down a highway without braking ability until I hit 95mph. SCARED THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME!!! I made multiple attempts to "fix" the problem with GM but they were unable to "replicate the problem" while the car was in the shop and therefore they said they couldn't "verify" it happened or diagnose the problem. There are multiple reports of this same issue happening around 60,000 miles with the 08 Acadia. It has happened after accelerating to pass a car on the freeway. In any case, it WILL kill someone soon and blood will be on GM's hands. I hope they get sued and have to pay for their refusal to accept responsibility for flawed safety issues. GM's solution was to tell me that next time it happens- "turn off the key". NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!! I tried to work out a deal for GM to buy-back the car. After all, if there really wasn't a problem with it (as they tried to state), why wouldn't they buy back their "quality" product?? Then, I asked them to pay me the difference between my selling price and the amount I still owed on the loan. Since GM has such an AWFUL track record, these cars have depreciated considerably. I was told NO FINANCIAL COMPENSATION could be arranged and unless they could get the car to "throw a code' or replicate the problem WHILE IN THE SHOP, there was NOTHING they could do except "open a file". Well...my father in law used to OWN A GM DEALERSHIP, my family used to believe in the GM product but this has ensured that nobody in my family will EVER buy another GM product. We care about our safety too much. Good bye and good riddance, GM!!
  • kannegirlkannegirl Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to hear that you got ripped off just like we are getting ripped off by GM...they blamed us for the waterleak and daily my husband has been trying to get them on the phone to ask them to put their claim in writing and we hear nothing. Crickets. If anyone else out there has this problem. Please ask GM to put everything in writing and also use this link to file a complaint with the NHTSA...https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    So we are still dealing with GM who keeps insisting that my insurance company is going to cover the costs of the repairs that need to be done on my still not running vehicle. (Our insurance company has not agreed to this.) I'm so glad that a company who posted a $7.6 billion profit in 2011 (after we bailed them out) can't pay for my $6000 repair bill that their clearly defective design caused, but expects my insurance company to do so which is why rates are high. Well, the good news is that I'm not going to drop this that easily...I've contacted all of my state representatives and have had names for lawyers given to me and also both senators. One senator's office contacted me today and asked for more information because they are happy to get in touch with the Iowa Attorney General for me. Glad to see my tax dollars at work. I've asked GM to send me a letter stating that while sunroof maintenance is indeed not documented (they admitted this on the phone), it is implied. If they feel comfortable enough stating this to me, then they should be perfectly okay with sending me a letter stating the same thing. Interestingly enough, they know this is an on-going problem but refuse to send out any sort of notification letting us know that the tubes need to be maintained...evidently their lack of communication means it is "implied".
  • cheechcatcheechcat Member Posts: 4
    *sigh*

I bought a 2012 "gently used" Acadia last dec 2012 (in the middle of a long Alaskan winter) with 12,000 miles on it. Well, it's April now and I took my Acadia in for it's 1st car wash. As I was slowly exiting the car wash, I could hear water swooshing from somewhere under the dashboard. As I accelerated out of the parking lot, water POURED out onto the driver and passenger side floor boards. WTHeck! It happened again when I went through a huge puddle the other day! Where is this leak? I called our local GMC dealership and they said that they have never heard of this before.....ugh! What do I tell them? I really love my Acadia but I'm ready to dump it and run! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hey cheechat,

Wow, I'm so sorry that you had to experience that with your vehicle. I really want to try and help you with this situation. Could you please send your full name, address, VIN, and the dealer you've been working with to socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Amber. I look forward to speaking with you.

Regards

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • byatchettebyatchette Member Posts: 1
    So, I have a brand spanking new GMC Acadia. As I left for work this morning, i noticed a watery sound in the interior of my vehicle. It had been raining all night and as I looked to my right, I noticed a small stream of water coming from behind the glove box. Let's say I'm disappointed. Especially doing all the reading I have over the last hour. This seems to be an ongoing issue that has not been resolved.

BUT

The only thing I've noticed that is different in my case is that I do NOT have a sunroof. So it can't possibly be that issue.

I have an appointment with my dealership on Wednesday and I'm hoping it will be resolved quickly. I didn't just spend a huge amount of money on a car for it not to work as it should!
    Hi there,

Please keep me updated once you've visited the dealership. We are here if you have any further questions or concerns.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • badcar7badcar7 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my Acadia new in2008. It has about 40K miles on it now and has garage kept since day one.....therefore the leakage issue didn't become apparent to me or my husband until the recent torrential rains we had a few weeks ago in Chicago. Over the years I did notice a nasty dirty gym shoe smell in the car after parking it outside for a few hours when it was raining out or driving in the rain, but after awhile the smell would stop....probably because it had the time to dry out in the garage. I also would notice some "glitches" at different times, like when the radio wouldn't turn on or when I couldn't tune the radio in properly....again happened only a few times then stopped. When i took it in for the windshield wiper recall I made mention of this event....but they said nothing was wrong.....I would also at various times over the years see the engine light go on and then off, but thought it was the gas cap since the trailblazer i owned prior to this would do the same thing......I also experienced the air-bag not registering with an adult in the passenger seat but again.....it seemed to stop. I also had the security camera go black on me just a few months back.....but once again it corrected. Again after looking back at the times these little 'glitches' occurred it was only AFTER the car had been outside in the rain for a few hours or driven in heavy rain.... Now my car is in the shop because it would not start last week, it took forever to jump and when you took the key out of the ignition the car continued to run for several minutes.....The dealer just told my husband the leak was caused from clogged tubes in the sunroof and was because of the recent flooding rains in Chicago.....SERIOUSLY??? When my son last drove the car the day before we took it in he said water was pouring on to the dashboard from the windshield. Stupid me.....just a few days before the car wouldn't start for the FIRST time i felt a drip coming from the sunroof....and i thought it was because it had not been closed properly, I blamed my son thinking he had opened it....So now after all of these little events were put together I am sure that they were ALL caused by a leak that went unnoticed because I kept it in the garage 99.9% of the time.This leaking has been going on from the get go....only I didn't KNOW ABOUT IT BECAUSE A RE-CALL was not issued to the Owners only a technical bulletin to the dealers. We are presently looking at a 1500 charge to fix the tubes... because the extended warranty ran out..... Additionaly I have also had problems with a grinding sound in the steering when turning slowly to the right....I also have a knocking sound coming from the undercarriage on the passenger side....as well as a squeaking groaning sound in the steering wheel itself. I did report the grinding/popping when turning slowly noise when it was in for a re-call but again the dealer said "no problem ma'am" The knocking squeaking noise is recent and guess what the guys at the GMC service said they didn't hear it or the knocking sound in the undercarriage. Seems to me I bought a lemon and because I took care of the car....regular oil changes....drought last summer.....garage kept....low miles....I didn't become fully aware of the LEAKING until this year!....and now I am being flat out lied to about it. After reading this site I am starting to understand just how lucky I am that my steering didn't go out on me....or something else even worse!. Sadly even if the repairs are successful I am wondering what ELSE will happen as my car takes on more mileage....I will never feel safe driving this car again....and GOD forbid my kids will never drive it. I don't know what to do.... Looks like Ford or foreign will be in my future. My dad is rolling in his grave as I say this ....he worked for GM(pontiac,buick,chevy,cadillac) as a salesman his entire life, and my husband an I have only owned GM'S because if that They used to be good cars with reputible service and timely recalls It's a shame what the Government takeover has done to them ....it's sad really sad. :cry:
    So I just picked up my vehicle and this is what the report said from the service technician: "using document 2689702 found that the sunroof drain hose was draining water and the hose was not clogged or kinked, found that it was letting water into the cab, ordered sealant."

So why is this same problem happening to people without sunroofs? Also, why would a leak up at the sunroof leak show up under the dash and drain onto the floor boards in front?

I really hope this solves the problem. They are calling me when the sealant comes in so that they can attempt to fix this problem
  • dustaudustau Member Posts: 1
    I have been having issue with leaking on the sides of the moon roof. It happened once last summer. We have had the car since new in 08. We love it. The leak was just thought to be a fluke. However with all the rain we have had in the Midwest this year the water pours in through the rear done light. I did what any good consumer does, took to the forums. I did not find the answer I wanted so I took the matter in my own hands. I went to Auto Zone. And bought a product called, Flowable Silicon Windshield & Glass Sealant made by Permatex. It cost $4.99. I got the ladder out and on a sunny morning applied the entire tube all around the sun roof. The directions state let dry for 1 hour. It is fully cured in 24 hrs. The rains came back today and no leaks! Go buy this product! ">link title
  • lefty54lefty54 Member Posts: 4
    Let me guess--- I bet Amber from GM customer service is really sorry that your expensive Acadia leaks water like a sieve.
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    It gets a little frustrating when I see posts and complaints about cars that are 6 or 7 years old with most of them from people who are the second or third owner. A 2006 Acadia could be over 7 years old now.
    Many complaints don’t even mention the year.
    I had a 2007 and drove it for 98,000 miles. It had a couple of minor issues that were covered under warranty.
    Every complaint I see is legitimate such as the sun roof leaks, electrical, headlight sockets, steering etc. but from what I can see, these are known old problems on old cars.
    It is too bad that most people find these forum only after they have had a problem.
    I traded in my 2007 for a 2011 Acadia Denali. Love it. I have a buddy who got rid of an Envoy and got a 2012 Denali Acadia. Loves it.
    This vehicle drives great, is very quiet and comfortable, looks good, hauls a bunch of kids and is very reliable.
    If you have a new car with a bunch of problems, then GM deserves any grief you can give them but to hold their feet to the fire over an old used car make not sense.
    Picked up my 2012 Acadia on Friday after being told that the seal and drain tubes to my moonroofs were fixed. Well, it's still an aquarium. Took it thru a car wash on Sunday and water poured onto my floorboards once again.........grrrrrr! Here we go!!!!
  • cbender2cbender2 Member Posts: 3
    After reading many of these posts, it sounds just like the problem I have been having lately. I have my Acadia at the dealership now and it will cost at least $400 to get it fixed. The carpet is nasty, there are "odd" things happening (sticking cruise control, wipers that come on and off when they want) and water is pouring down the inside on the passenger side front floor. I only have 64k miles on this baby and love it, but wonder what will happen next... Is there a recall on this now??? Please advise before I pay the dealership bill....
    Hi cbender,

If you you want, I can look up any recalls or bulletins related to your vehicle. If you are interested please provide me with the last 8 digits of your VIN. I can also be reached at socialmedia@gm.com {ATTN Amber}.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Hi Amber, is there a recall for the leaking moon roofs/sun roofs?
    I sent you the information in email. The Acadia is currently at the dealership in Ellsworth Maine. The estimate I have for the leaking roof and replacing the damaged items is almost 1k.
    After 3 trips to the dealership, they told me that my leak was coming from a faulty install on a replaced windshield. I had the windshield re-sealed and so far no leak onto the floor boards. However, after going thru the car wash to test it, I did feel a few drops that were dripping from the front sunroof. Is that normal?
  • mimi2_4mimi2_4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Acadia new and about 3 months ago I was having water running in my passenger side floor. Dealership told me the drain tubes needed to be replaced. I had them replaced and $580.00 later, hopefully the problem is solved. They told me the recall was not in effect. I have also been told since by another dealership that tubes rarely have to be replaced, that they have usually just come loose and cost for that would be quite a bit less.
  • jaxjaxjaxjax Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem. I was told that the leaks destroyed the fuse block and its not covered. 172 plus labor to fix...this can't be right it should be covered under my bumper to bumper expensive warranty
  • jaxjaxjaxjax Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem ...did they have any recalls. Did they cover it under warranty.
  • lmart009lmart009 Member Posts: 1
    I have also experienced the dreaded Sunroof Water Leak/Faulty Electronics related to this vehicle.

I have sent an email to the socialmedia.gm.com address. I hope they can help me resolve the issue or it may be time to trade-in the Acadia and move away from GMC products.
  • kmeschkekmeschke Member Posts: 1

I own a 2008 GMC Acadia SLT1 and now have 105,000 miles on it. I love the vehicle except for the water leaks. I'm not sure how long its going on but my kids pointed it out to me this summer. I took off from a stop and water poured through the 3rd row dome lights into their laps. My 8 and 6 year olds began screaming. I took it to the dealer, they "checked into it" by running a hose over the roof and told me that they couldn't find anything wrong. I guess my kids and I imagined the whole thing. Over the next few months the leaks got worse and water began running down the inside of the windshield and through the front airbag mounts. I took it in again to GMC service and they again said they couldn't find any leaks. The leaks got worse over the next month with water now running out from behind the dash onto my shins over the emergency brake and onto the driver and passenger side floor. This past Friday I began getting bizarre electronic warnings "Service Airbag" and then "Engine Hot, A/C Off" followed by the Passenger Seat Belt warning light coming on even though no one was in the passenger seat. I parked the car, turned the key back and pulled it out of the ignition and the engine continued to run. I got out of the car, locked it with the remote and 5 seconds later the engine finally turned off. I let the car sit for an hour and then drove it home with the same electronics error messages haunting me. I parked the car in the driveway for the night and then couldn't start it the next morning. The electronics seized up and the car wouldn't let me turn the key back into the accessory position or remove the key from the ignition. The battery was totally dead. I got a tow truck to first jump the car successfully and then take the car back to its service center. After analyzing the issue they noticed that my car battery had EXPLODED!!!!! The battery compartment under the floor boards of the 2nd row passenger seat was full of battery acid. Thankfully my 8 year old wasn't sitting near it when the explosion happened. I spoke with the local GMC service center at the dealer and they "have no idea of any problems with Acadia water leaks". I recreated the problem today and showed the service manager as water poured down through the 3rd row dome lights, driver side visor mount, driver side airbag mount, from behind the driver side dash, from the emergency brake connection, from the passenger side airbag mount and down the driver and passenger side windshield. I explained that due to the cold weather I had to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield the past 5 days...not the outside but the inside of the windshield. The service manager finally saw what I was talking about and agreed that they should check it out. He wants me to leave the car with him for several days. When I explained that I am a single dad and that I have no other car to use in the meantime he just looked at me with a blank stare as if to say, "fries...I think I'll have fries for lunch". I explained that I would be going on vacation soon for a week and that he could have my car then but would have to pick it up from my apartment. After "checking with the manager" he agreed to pick it up from my place even though it's not policy, "as a favor" to me. Obviously I'm not happy about the leak, the electrical issues, the scraping of ice off the inside of the windshield, the once soaked now frozen floor mats on the driver and passenger side, not to mention the exploding battery and who knows what extent of damage is running around behind the dash and all throughout the dome light area in my 3rd row. I want a straight answer from GMC on what's wrong. I want them to fix the problem at no cost to me. That's it. Too much to ask?

• rosr1rosr1 Member Posts: 1

I have read through a lot of the comments on here going way back to 2009. Has anyone gotten any resolution??? I bought my 2008 Acadia from a personal owner in 2012 and have had issues ever since. Fuse box was corroded which I believe due to the water leaking inside my car. The car leaks like crazy in the front and the back and the interior is beginning to smell. I am afraid that mold will start forming and would be harmful to my kids and dogs. But I can't afford to go buy another car and if I did trade or sell mine I wouldn't even be able to cover the loan I have on it!! If anyone one out there has any help they can provide please let me know. Is this something that can be repaired??? Is this going to cost me hundreds of dollars to fix?? I have 92K miles on it so I doubt I am covered in any kind of warranty the car may have had.

• driveway_candydriveway_candy Member Posts: 1

I have a 2008 Acadia and have had issues with it since purchasing it new off of the lot. I call it Driveway Candy because it is beautiful to look at but that is about it. I have had to get the front end repaired every six months since I purchased. It sounds like a ball joint and it squeeks like an 80 year old car. After a rain my daughter and I thought that a bottle of some drink had fallen over in the car, we kept hearing water draining but could not figure out what it was. This happened several times until one day I noticed water coming in from the visor. Now lets talk about driving this vehicle in the snow. Remember when I told you we considered our Acadia Driveway Candy? Well that is where it stays when it snows, because it will not go anywhere in the snow. It is the worst vehicle in the snow that I have ever owned. You have to turn the traction control off so that you can even try to move. It refuses to go up small inclines. It is a front wheel drive and not the all wheel. And lets talk about the traction control...I took my Acadia in several times because the service light for my traction control and something else...which slips my mind...kept flashing on. When I took it in they said that nothing was wrong with it. I took the Acadia in for this same issue so many times I lost count. They finally found something in the steering column. What? Whatever... I seriously am so over this vehicle that I am weary of ever buying a GMC again. The service at GMC in Seymour is wonderful and so are the people, it isn't their fault that GMC made the worst car on earth. We need more women engineers, the design on this vehicle just wasn't thought out.

We finally got our issue resolved on our leaky Acadia. It took me writing to my Senator who finally agreed to take it to the Attorney General on my behalf. I asked GM for a note stating that I was responsible for the care of the tubes and that the cleaning of them should be treated like an oil change (cleaned every three months), but that this was not documented anywhere nor was it ever sent to us in a letter as an appendage to the manual...they suddenly changed their tune and forked out the money for all of the repairs. Evidently they didn't want me to bring attention to the problem. Be sure that you complain to the NHTSA. Not that anything is being done with that information - GM sat on the ignition issue and airbag issue for years while some died. Evidently battery acid exploding on passengers because of a corrosion from the leaky sunroof isn't a big deal. Evidently your car still running without the key in it isn't a safety issue either. GM and the government know about these issues and nobody does anything to fix them. Some people should be fired. Because it IS a big deal when you have water pouring on to electronics on a regular basis - it ruins everything that is run by electricity or it doesn't respond the way it should.

• barbara_hkbarbara_hk Member Posts: 1

Oh, my gosh! :s I had no idea there were so many problems with the Acadia's. I just spent almost three hours reading, sympathetic, and somewhat angry. I have had major water leaks in my new 2007 Acadia sun/moon roof. Engine light off & on, all the re-calls, but all were fixed, oil warning's with loud noise, and On Star saying all is fine, except....low tire pressure (always) This being said.....I love my Acadia, and I think it is mostly due because of where, and whom I bought it from. We are considered a small city. Our dealer here is Growney Motors. I'm luckier then most of who I have read about, and the people that work on your Acadia. The mechanic's here are polite, and they listen. I trust them. Trust with your dealership makes all the difference in the world. Without a doubt, I will stay with them as long as possible. The inside personnel folks are wonderful. The salesman was great. I know, I will begin to have more problems with my Acadia, due to it's age, but I just can't let go of it. Not yet. :( My thought was to look for another 2007 Acadia, because I have had so much luck with this one, compared to what I have read of what other people have gone through. We put many miles on my car, and never had a problem until the 1st water leak when I had it for only 3 years. My real problems didn't start until I have had the car 5+ years. I figure, compared to most....I bought a great car. :)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Please visit our Dealer Reviews page and leave a service review. Sounds like a good crew there.

• danlindadanlinda Member Posts: 1

This would have been the perfect vehicle for us, if it didn't leak like a sieve. I own a 2008 GMC Acadia and have been trying to get the leaks repaired for over a year and a half with multiple dealer repairs and out of pocket expenses around $500 thus far. It's going in again next week with the promise that I can pay them even more money to not have them fix it. Thankfully my cell phone hasn't been ruined taking videos of the problems. I'll definitely be lodging a complaint against the dealership and GM with the attorney general and Better Business Bureau. I have no doubt this water intrusion is jeopardizing my safety. There is a constant stream of water that comes out of my side column airbags whenever it's raining and I turn a corner. Both driver's side and passenger side floorboards get soaked when it rains, it sounds like I have at least two gallons of water sloshing around above my head, and it smells like rotting carpet. The radio occasionally shorts out. The driver's window now will occasionally not roll up for a couple of minutes after starting the car. And the 'best' one yet, I have shut my car off, removed the key and my Acadia continued to run for several minutes. What scares me the most though is the thought of some weird electrical issue causing the ABS brakes to engage on one side while driving down the highway.

• kculbertsonkculbertson Member Posts: 1

This is ridiculous, I have a 2008 GMC Acadia and of course it too leaks. I figured it was just a drain hole issue. I am going to check it out now, but this really seems like a necessary recall issue from GMC, but it seems like that is not going to happen if all of these complaints are taking place and no solution has been found.

• kdietzkdietz Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2014

Don't get me wrong, I love my Acadia but GM has to fix this problem. Like all the rest, my sunroof leaks drains down onto both sides of the floor. I have taken my Acadia to a dealership to, infact, have them diagnose the exact drain leak problem that GM recalled but for some reason my VIN # is not included in the recall. I was told by the dealership that the parts used for the Drain are what is faulty. WRONG!!! GM its your design that is faulty and its on all of the vehicles in those years not just some VIN's. Why not fix all the problems?
    Now ontop of my water leak, the electrical system that the water leaks on is wigging out on me. Just yesterday, I found out that battery compartment was totally under water and in turn shorted out my entire vehicle. FIX this GM!!! I can not afford to take my car to the dealership to continually have this leak and electrical system fixed everytime it rains. its your design flaw that is causing this whole problem...and I swear that if this problem causes me to get in a wreck and hurts or kills anyone in my family, You will have more of a problem on your hands then just fixing my car.

v/r

concerned citizen

• remymartinremymartin Member Posts: 2
    kannegirl said:

We finally got our issue resolved on our leaky Acadia. It took me writing to my Senator who finally agreed to take it to the Attorney General on my behalf. I asked GM for a note stating that I was responsible for the care of the tubes and that the cleaning of them should be treated like an oil change (cleaned every three months), but that this was not documented anywhere nor was it ever sent to us in a letter as an appendage to the manual...they suddenly changed their tune and forked out the money for all of the repairs. Evidently they didn't want me to bring attention to the problem. Be sure that you complain to the NHTSA. Not that anything is being done with that information - GM sat on the ignition issue and airbag issue for years while some died. Evidently battery acid exploding on passengers because of a corrosion from the leaky sunroof isn't a big deal. Evidently your car still running without the key in it isn't a safety issue either. GM and the government know about these issues and nobody does anything to fix them. Some people should be fired. Because it IS a big deal when you have water pouring on to electronics on a regular basis - it ruins everything that is run by electricity or it doesn't respond the way it should.

What was done to fix your issues. If you have answered this I am sorry as I have searched this forum and have been unable to locate it.

Thanks
  • remymartinremymartin Member Posts: 2

Oh, my gosh! :s I had no idea there were so many problems with the Acadia's. I just spent almost three hours reading, sympathetic, and somewhat angry. I have had major water leaks in my new 2007 Acadia sun/moon roof. Engine light off & on, all the re-calls, but all were fixed, oil warning's with loud noise, and On Star saying all is fine, except....low tire pressure (always) This being said.....I love my Acadia, and I think it is mostly due because of where, and whom I bought it from. We are considered a small city. Our dealer here is Growney Motors. I'm luckier then most of who I have read about, and the people that work on your Acadia. The mechanic's here are polite, and they listen. I trust them. Trust with your dealership makes all the difference in the world. Without a doubt, I will stay with them as long as possible. The inside personnel folks are wonderful. The salesman was great. I know, I will begin to have more problems with my Acadia, due to it's age, but I just can't let go of it. Not yet. :( My thought was to look for another 2007 Acadia, because I have had so much luck with this one, compared to what I have read of what other people have gone through. We put many miles on my car, and never had a problem until the 1st water leak when I had it for only 3 years. My real problems didn't start until I have had the car 5+ years. I figure, compared to most....I bought a great car. :)

Thank you for your story, but can you elaborate on what was done to fix the leaking? I am about to spend extra money on having the Sunroof pulled and resealed. Is this something that was done? We have had our windsheild resealed. Where else would the water be coming from.
  • lmacvicarlmacvicar Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    YOUR CAR IS A LEMON - you have rights
    -
    If you are back to the dealer three or more times, you could be entitled to free legal representation under State Lemon Laws or Federal Warranty Laws. You could be looking at a repurchase, a new vehicle or a partial refund and continued ownership of the Acadia. Remember, under the Lemon Law and Federal Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, legal representation is completely free , so you have nothing to lose except your (wet) lemon. [non-permissible content removed]
  • jaimbeckjaimbeck Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new owner of a used 2008 GMC Acadia. It has roughly 68,000 miles but was in great condition when we bought it just 2 1/2 months ago. Everything was fine with it for awhile until we got a hard rain. We live in the upper peninsula of Michigan and we have hard rains and harsh winters. After the rain I got into my acadia started it, went to subway, turned off the car with keys in hand my car was still running. It stopped after about a minute. I then went home and it did the same thing. I looked it up online and people were saying the same thing happened to them but they had a leak which resulted in water flooding the passenger side mat. Well, I went out and looked to see if I had water and I did. I let it sit the rest of the night went to start in the morning and my keys got stuck in ignition and battery was dead. We jumped it and all problems seemed to be fixed....until a couple days ago. It's been raining here for about a week straight and unfortunately water is still leaking even worse than before on passenger side mat. Everything was shutting off fine this time. Went to leave my daughters birthday party yesterday and battery was dead. Went to jump it and nothing. Still wouldn't start. So now I have a 20,000 vehicle I just got a few months ago sitting in a motel parking lot undriveable and no warranty. I already feel like trading this in. I don't feel that it is a reliable vehicle by any means. If water is getting into the electrical that could cause major damage that we don't have money for. Thanks for a no good car GM.
  • wmartin1587wmartin1587 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having all of the same leak problems with my gmc acadia.   I'm very disgusted with the answers that I've been given about it being our/my own fault... I will NEVER buy another gm vehicle in my life because they do not stand behind an OBVIOUS WIDESPREAD PROBLEM.  and I will steer family and friends away from these crooks for as long as I'm alive.
  • leakyacadialeakyacadia Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2008 Acadia and not too long after I purchased it I had to have the drain tubes extended because it was leaking on the passenger floor board. About a month ago it started leaking in the headliner above the driver seat. I took it to the dearlership and they couldn't find the leak. It is now leaking out of the air bag on the driver side and they still can't find the leak. They checked the sunroof drains and they are in tact and clear of any debris. I also had the windshield checked thinking it was leaking but it's fine. Their only other guess is that it could be something with the luggage rack. We shall see...it goes tomorrow to the dealership for them to try to find it again. I noticed that it only leaks when it's wind driven or forcefull rainfall. I'm already pricing other vehicles in case they can't find the leak.

I own a 2008 Acadia and not too long after I purchased it I had to have the drain tubes extended because it was leaking on the passenger floor board. About a month ago it started leaking in the headliner above the driver seat. I took it to the dearlership and they couldn't find the leak. It is now leaking out of the air bag on the driver side and they still can't find the leak. They checked the sunroof drains and they are in tact and clear of any debris. I also had the windshield checked thinking it was leaking but it's fine. Their only other guess is that it could be something with the luggage rack. We shall see...it goes tomorrow to the dealership for them to try to find it again. I noticed that it only leaks when it's wind driven or forcefull rainfall. I'm already pricing other vehicles in case they can't find the leak.

Hi there! Keep us posted on your service visit. We understand this may be upsetting and we do apologize. If there is anything we can do to help, please do not hesitate to send us your VIN, contact information, mileage, and dealership name via private message.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • amandaj1220amandaj1220 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 GMC Acadia. The speakers recently stopped working and when you pull the plug out of the door it is full of water Any way to fix it??
  • lbrashierlbrashier Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2008 Acadia bought in 2015 my sunroof also leaks, have tried everything to stop it nothing works. It shorted out my fuse box had to take to dealership cost $600. Dealership said it was not sunroof it was windshield. I took it to windshield technician to be fixed he said he deals with this problem alot it is not windshield it is sunroof. So confused. I paid 14,500 for this can that I love dearly but don't know what to do.
    GMC should be ashamed for treating people this way.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Has anyone inspected the sun roof drains for clogging?
  • valgott66valgott66 Member Posts: 2
    Apparently I purchased a inside pool.07 ACADIA ALT used 187852 miles used. The dealer new I was desperate for a car only get a loan for this ACADIA. Started leaking the first time it rained took it to dealers glass people told me it was fixed. At the time life was hard my daughter needed to see doctor for cervical cancer n my grandsons needed their doctors so busy n stressful. I'm one who doesn't complain about anything just thankful for a car. I'm on disability so taking it to get fixed isn't affordable. My car is my home its a shame that I took his word it was a good car. So getting a lawyer is not affordable. Here is a video of my ACADIA pouring water from back to front passenger side. No video just picture of passenger front. Do have videos of it pouring from back to the front passenger side. Was wondering if airbags work at all have grandkids who come with me in ACADIA.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I would have someone try to clean out the sunroof drains. It sure looks like the perfect spot for a sunroof drain clog. If you open the roof, you can see the drain holes in front and back of the rail that the sunroof runs on. Take some aquarium hose or small tubing and stick it in the hole and BLOW. Never use a coat hanger!

You can test the drain for a clog by pouring a tiny bit of water in the hole--it should drain out under the car, behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel. If nothing drains out, then it's clogged and it is overflowing into the headliner.
  • valgott66valgott66 Member Posts: 2
    Having all the same issues leaking have videos to prove it. Bought it in 12/17 used 187572 now I'm stuck. LIKE any big company it's all about the dollar they care not about after purchase or used purchase. I have no warranty to fall on.
  • IrishHalfIrishHalf Member Posts: 1
    Wish I had visited this forum before buying my GMC Acadia, which has a similar leak affecting the wiring and audio system. Clearly, GM has done nothing about this problem that has been affecting its cars for a decade! I will not be leasing or buying another GM.