Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Engine Problems

167891012»

Comments

• g_macg_mac Member Posts: 1
    Hi, would love to contact you re: your solution w/ Blast Performance in Quebec. I'm in Ottawa. Thx.

G_Mac
  • vvtguyvvtguy Member Posts: 3
    Forum rules are clear per the moderator's comment, and well taken. The forum rules allow users to include an email address as part of their registered profile, if they like. [ahem]
  • orezzoorezzo Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    When i bought Mazda 2 years i guess i thought it was the best car i ever bought but a month ago it started to make noise and i called the towing company to tow it to Mazda dealer .Three days of waiting and wondering what is wrong with my car .The dealer call me back and ask if i have doing oil change on time.I replied yes and the copy are in the Mazda. They reviewed at the copies and then call me back i told me that my warranty has been denied due to lack of maintenance and the engine has sludge and the price tag of a new engine plus labor was 8900. I was very perplexed i did not know where to stat Knowing i still owed the car more than 10,000 my head was spinning until i come across the most honest-full lawyer who love what he does and fight for the people. This lawyer with my accurate documentation that i send to him, he fax and called the Mazda headquarters and finally i received call from the dealer that they will replace my Mazda with a new engine and turbo.
  • bsch72bsch72 Member Posts: 1
    My Mazda CX7 2007 84,200 Miles is stuck in Rochester ,NY; White smoke blowing out of the engine on the NYS 90 Thruway heading towards Buffalo.
    The day prior to my business trip to Rochester, I had two (2) new tires put on and an oil change at Firestone in Williamsville, NY 14221; I was advised I needed a wheel bearing passenger rear and a ball joint "only." I heard a squealing noise but thought it was the bearing going? I was on my way to trade this car in for a 2009 FORD EDGE (40 Miles from the dealer.) My Mazda CX7 now sits in the lot at MONRO MUFFLER in Victor, NY; there was little to NO oil in the engine when I pulled in the lot of Monro off the Victor thruway exit. William D. store manager of Monro pointed out this turbo problem with the CX7. What should be my next step??
  • legs3legs3 Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar problem with my cx-7 at 80k.. I had always had it serviced at the dealership and they replaced the Turbo for free due to so many problems with the turbo.. I also had a loud squeal after driving for about 20 miles,, they replaced the AC unit (free) I still had the squeal.. I then had a bearing changed and squeal was still present.. The last thing I had done was the brakes and so far no squealing but it has only been two weeks so I'm not sure if this was the problem.. If you keep your service records contact Mazda and see what or if they will do anything for you. Good luck.. I'm trying to keep the car for one more winter because I love the way it handles in the snow, but also bought a Prius to off set the "gas" costs.. Good luck
  • worried9worried9 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in getting information on the lawyer you used Which state do you live in I am in Texas
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Dump it while you still can or you'll regret it... Just saying all these folks including myself. Are/were disgruntled for a reason.

RUN FORREST RUN!!!
  • shromero1shromero1 Member Posts: 1
    I am all for a LAW SUIT toward Mazda myself. Same issue Sludge in the Turbo at 32,000 miles and still under warranty. Along with an additional warranty I purchased. MAZDA SUCKS!!!!
  • orezzoorezzo Member Posts: 2
    The engine was fixed and the mazda is running smooth for now , The lawyers name Robert starr he lives woodland california he best lawyer i ever spoke to and done what he promised to do.
  • angry_cx7angry_cx7 Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2013
    I recommended this guy over a yr ago, he was at the time leading a class action against Mazda for the mazda 8, which also was a piece of **it- I posted his name and number in CA. and nobody else called him, I'm glad to see yours worked out and now maybe other people will listen_good luck!
  • nodata2000nodata2000 Member Posts: 4

The engine in my 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 catastrophically failed this past Sunday.

Mazda, to my surprise, refuses to stand by the product and take care of the customer.

Read my story here:
    https://www.facebook.com/Mazda/posts/10153796263035363

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

How many miles were on the engine?

135,410...I know...it's "a lot". My beef with Mazda is simply, if I knew 2 years ago of potential issues with this componentry, I would have had it specifically checked out and replaced if necessary. $1000 spent then is a whole lot less than a new car now (and there's no way I'm spending $7000 on a new engine).

Is the entire engine really ruined or did does it just need cylinder head work?

Unclear at this point. Is that even cost-effective?

Well yeah, sure it is...depending. If the timing chain broke, say, and smashed the timing case cover and even bent a few valves, that's all fixable at a reasonable price. Let's say the car, all fixed up, is worth $6000. And let's say repairing it would cost $3000. As it sits it's worth practically nothing. So, I was thinking....IF...you could get a firm estimate for repairs, and IF you could get Mazda to kick in something for "goodwill" (often, the best dealers do get a budget for "goodwill adjustments"), maybe it'd be worth it.

But you do have to be careful with this approach. What you DON'T want is to pay for a partial disassembly, only to learn the engine is totally toasted and there you are with a car in pieces.

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    But you do have to be careful with this approach. What you DON'T want is to pay for a partial disassembly, only to learn the engine is totally toasted and there you are with a car in pieces.

THIS is exactly what I don't want to happen. You have no way of knowing this without disassembling...

So you need a backup plan here. A brand new engine seems out of the question. Do you know any good independent repair shop that would swap in a used engine for you, if, upon removal of the cylinder head, they found internal engine damage in the bottom end of the engine (cylinder walls, pistons, etc). ?

Or maybe you could work out a deal with the dealer and Mazda to trade in your car, as is, on a new car or new lease?

• emontezemontez Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    OMG I bought my CX7 Used in October, it has been in shop more than my driveway! I see some of your posts are a few months old. Can someone update me on àny recourse, or class action against Mazda. My car was towed this morning! Timing chain has been replaced twice since October!
    [Email removed] please email me anything that might help me!
    #texas#
  • stevedcccstevedccc Member Posts: 4

I have a few questions? Why would a timing chain need to be replaced more than once. Once is rare right? I have a 2011 CX-7 turbo so does anyone know if these turbo and timing chain issues could have been fixed for this year or did they run the same exact parts for all the years in production 2007-2012??

From what I've read, the extended warranty recall campaign issued by Mazda was only for 2007 to 2010 CX-7s, for both timing chain noise and for turbocharger problems. I have not been able to research exactly why the timing chain stretches and/or breaks but there is plenty of evidence on the 'Net that this was a common problem---also class action demands, lawsuits and of course, this actual recall. Since the recall was issued in 2012 and it covers only up to 2010, one hopes that the problem was corrected by Mazda in 2011.

Thanks and I sure hope so because I owe a lot of money on this 2011 (5 yr. loan)

Do you hear any unusual noises from the chain?

edited July 2014

When...when idle or during acceleration? when idle maybe but could be just the belts. can you offer a description to keep me alert in the future? I know one should never try to start a car once the chain or belt breaks. I've only had this truck for 4k miles. It had 40k when I purchased it used few months back. Just wondering if I should try to sell in a year or two. Sounds like Mazda not a good company. This was my first. Previously, I have always owned Nissan's (maxima). After three in a row and a desire for a small SUV I decided to try something different. All my Nissan's NEVER broke (just oil changes and tires). I think after this I will be going back to Nissan. I just hope nothing serious breaks. Like I said before I owe a ton of money on this 2011 S Touring Turbo. I just really hope they fixed all the turbo, timing chain and a/c problems found in previous years. I'm using premium gas and synthetic of course. Don't know if prior owner did. Regardless, Mazda should never treat a second owner any differently. I would suggest those with timing issues to get a feel for your gas pedal. Don't force or punch it all the time when you know the power isn't there. Even so, timing chains should RARELY break...almost NEVER!

timing chain noise would be at idle--it sounds just like you'd expect---like a loose chain rattling around--- you know, like when your bicycle is between gears and trying to shift? Like that.

A timing chain is more likely to break on a sudden acceleration or even a sudden downshift. It's a fairly rare occurrence. Timing chains are...well....chains....they are usually pretty strong.

Re timing chain? I know the turbo issues obviously pertain to the turbo versions but is the timing chain an issue for the turbo models just the same as for the standard models? Also, if anyone knows if Mazda fixed these issues for the 2011-2012 years I would love to hear from.

Well the recall only covers to 2010, so maybe that's the cut off date.

• maryann57maryann57 Member Posts: 2

Wow...I recently viewed all these comments. My 07 CX7 has 81K miles on her and began using oil quickly but its not leaking. Bommarito Mazda told me the valve cover gasket and turbo are leaking due to sludge and accused me of not maintaining maintenance on it which is absolutely not true! They asked me if the engine ever got hot, i said no and no lites or Guages read hot.after reading these comments I find it suspicious they asked me that! My husband, master mechanic, said he found nothing wrong with the gasket but replaced it anyway. He did find evidence of the car being hot because it melted one side of the timing chain cover, which it had been recalled and replaced for.Turbo does have slight leak. My EGR valve causes the check engine lite to come on constant unless I use 93 octane gas which is really hard to find in the state ive recently moved to which in turn delivers terrible gas mileage. Now shes begun blowing white smoke occasionally and has had a loss of power once....shes on her way out...still owe the bank!! I could sell it out right but I dont feel right about it. It would serve Mazda right if I traded it to them but they wouldn't give me fair market plus they know about that engine.
    Please post info on the law suit and until then I think ill have 2 big magnets, with big yellow lemons on them made and just park it in front of the nearest Mazda dealer.

• maryann57maryann57 Member Posts: 2

Ive never received a recall cor the turbo in my 07 CX7 and its leaking

• atlanticblue99atlanticblue99 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Wow! I cannot believe what a bullet we must have dodged. Bought brand new 2010 CX-7. All dealer serviced, not one CEL, 61K and just traded it in on a 2015 Kia Sorento. Only things repaired were armrests under warranty, tires and windshield wipers. No brakes, battery, timing chain, turbo or anything! The funniest thing is I drove the base car with the non-turbo 2.5 and after driving it thought "why the hell would anyone not buy the turbo?" (Similar price, way smoother/faster, etc) In retrospect, it would have been the much smarter choice. I am cringing reading all of these posts. Best wishes to all involved. It looks like this was going on prior to our purchase; I have no idea how I missed this. Poor research on my end; but in the end we escaped.
  • caseylynn518caseylynn518 Member Posts: 2
    Please tell me if there is a law suit going for mazda 2009 cx7..  I purchased one May 2013... since then I have had 2 transmissions and it's in the shop now for the 3rd turbo charger.   I can't afford to replace this and my extended warranty and mazda refuse to pay. .. I maintained my cat and have receipts.   There is no signs of sludge!   They don't have a legit reason to not cover it!
    NOVEMBER 2012- TRANSMISSION BLEW
    NOVEMBER 2013- TRANSMISSION BLEW
    MARCH 2013 - TURBO BLEW
    MARCH 2014- TURBO BLEW
    MARCH 2015- TURBO BLEW
    *** do you see the pattern here! !! Yet,  they say it's not the car or the parts and this isn't a huge problem!**** I can't afford to get a new car and I can't afford to keep fixing this one!   I OBSESSIVELY maintain this car to avoid these issues and the still occur! It's not the maintenance. .. IT'S YOUR PIECE OF [non-permissible content removed] MAZDA!  
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    What is the reason for the extended warranty companies to refusal to pay?
  • caseylynn518caseylynn518 Member Posts: 2
    My extended warranty comp used a bogus reason stating that there was no oil in the car at the time of pick up..  the mazda mechanics who picked up my car told the extended warranty adjuster there was no oil in it due to the large,  black cloud of smoke my car had,  which was oil burning.   When the turbo broke,  it quickly sucks the oil out and was burning it.  If I had  oil,  I would of not had a cloud like that,  because there would have been nothing to burn. ... and there are no signs of sludge in my car which would provide proof that I was running it with no oil.    Even the mechanics at mazda agree that I had oil.... and I provided the oil change receipts as requested.   The turbo blew 3 times exactly 12 months apart.  I highly doubt it's the owners fault.   They look for bogus reasons to deny your claim
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    A turbo charger "should" last for the life of the engine. The transmission can develop trouble and need to be repaired. When you state that the transmission "blew" exactly what needed to be done to repair it? Taking your statements of the transmission failing two times, and the turbo charger failing three times one has to consider the potential for abuse to be a contributing factor to the failures.
  • leonmalleonmal Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    I have a 2008 MAZDA CX-7 four cylinder 2.5 L turbo. For the first time in 7 years it developed a knocking or fluttering noise immediately after I downshifted manually going down a hill. The RPM's went up but not over 4,500 rpms. I have done this hundreds of times with no problem. The noise can be heard at idle when I press the gas but it goes away at higher speeds even if I kick it. It never had any other such noise until this episode and even now the engine sounds quiet and full powered at highway speeds.

The MAZDA service guy listened to it for a few seconds and said the piston or crankshaft bearings are loose and the ENGINE HAS TO BE REPLACED ! He said the sound goes away at higher speeds because the pressure on the engine " smooths out " . I asked them to check it for any other causes. They tried to get MAZDA to replace the engine because my guarantee just expired and I had brought the car in several times recently just to make sure there was nothing " about to pop ". They kept it for a few days and at MAZDA's request they pulled the head cover and sent a video to MAZDA. I was told it is not anything else, like the TIMING CHAIN or low engine oil pressure.

All of this is very distressing because I have had seven MAZDA's and my 7 year extended warranty just finished one month ago and I am still below the 160,000 Kilometers. MAZDA will not replace it on GOOD WILL because they say I did not change the oil enough...which, speaking as a former trial lawyer, is a pretext without any legitimate proof. The head office of MAZDA said they based this on seeing the COLOR of the valve heads and the fact that I had not changed my oil as often as I should have...BUT...the service manager told me there was NO sludge in the engine and no signs of metallic debris to indicate excessive wear.

Does anyone have any ideas about what else could be causing this and if there any other solutions besides replacing my engine ?

Will it help to use some heavier oil or STP to try to better lubricate the engine or can this be worse because it could clog up the oil passageways ?

Can I instead use a LIGHTER lower number oil to improve oil distribution ?

edited July 2015
    Well without placing any blame on anyone, let's look at what's on the table here: An engine with 100,000 miles, 7 years old and with (apparently, and please correct me if I'm wrong) no chronological documentation of regular oil changes or the type of oil used.

If that's accurate, I'd say you have a tough case here to demand compensation. I mean, I hope you get some, but based on what you've posted, it doesn't look all that promising. More diagnosis needed!

We have no idea what Mazda "saw" in those photos. If they saw signs of oil starvation, that would be significant. But mere discoloration, without sludge, doesn't tell you much regarding a conclusion as to the cause of engine failure.

Bottom line, this is a case for automotive forensics--no, seriously--the engine would have to be taken apart (autopsy) by a skilled engine builder and the cause of failure would have to be determined in order to press the case. And who knows---if the timing chain played into it in any way, or the turbo overboosted, then maybe you do have grounds.

It sure does sound like timing chain rattle to me---bearings like to knock under load, not float. Chains rattle under float. Also, bearings that loose will often throw the oil pressure light.

But then, I'm not there listening to it, so take my comments with a grain of salt.
  • jody1347jody1347 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Mazda 2008 at a dealer on August 31 .i was in a accident on sept 9 .i complain to the dealer about a problem with the vehicle they advises me to bring the vehicle in the next day after i purchased it. I never had been in a accident until now . It was the worst although I thank  god for saving me . I was hurt, in in the process of writing the better business bureau and looking into  a lawyer 
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    jody1347 said:

I just purchased a Mazda 2008 at a dealer on August 31 .i was in a accident on sept 9 .i complain to the dealer about a problem with the vehicle they advises me to bring the vehicle in the next day after i purchased it. I never had been in a accident until now . It was the worst although I thank  god for saving me . I was hurt, in in the process of writing the better business bureau and looking into  a lawyer 

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hopefully no one was hurt...

Did the accident have something to do with the engine?
  • dlmyd918dlmyd918 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring. Purchased it when it was almost 2 years old, about 30,000 miles on it. Great car until... all the oil leaks started, then it misfired, had all the coils replaced, and it went downhill from there. I maintained the car, proper oil changes, etc. Then the day the engine blew and left me stranded on the side of the road at about 110,000 miles back in March, 2014. $8,635.46 later, yep, $8,635.46 for a BRAND NEW enginge and turbo, not a rebuilt or used, it was brand new. Now, it's October, 2015, and it is starting alllll over again. 139,000 miles, 30,000 miles on the BRAND NEW ENGINE that was repalced by Mazda, it misfired!! Again, proper oil changes, etc., and of course, now it is out of warranty for the BRAND NEW ENGINE!! Not to mention, the air compressor just went out on it as well and in my research, learn there was a recall on the air compresser of which I never received notification of. What can I do?? This is enough with Mazda's CX-7. Now I have to put out over $1,000 to fix one ignition coil when I just had a new engine put in. Please, if anyone knows or can direct me to someone who is handling any class action lawsuits or these Mazda problems, I would really appreciate it. My email is dlmyd9@gmail.com.

• dlmyd918dlmyd918 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, and I forgot to mention, the brand new turbo that was replaced with the brand new engine was faulty and the turbo was replaced again shortly after.
  • mazdafailuremazdafailure Member Posts: 2
    I am wondering if there is any lawsuit against Mazda yet. I have the same engine problem with my Maza cx7 2008. I used to change the oil properly and my garage took care of changing the filter when ever needed. I bought this car less than three years ago. It was 109000k. I have been told by some body this car it will colapse when it reach 160000k and he advised me to get rid of it. I didn't want to pass on my problem to other person and I kept it. Still I have to pay  $6000 over this car!!! as I had it as a finance payment. Now really I am in a bad situation nothing to blame rather than the MAZDA cx7 manufactor failure and they have to take the responsibility of their FAILURE.
  • mazdafailuremazdafailure Member Posts: 2
    I forget to add now I scrapped my car for just $200  and the towing car's guy told me he had a lot of these cars and now they starting to scrap cx7  2010. He said this is a common problem now and he advised me to keep the receipt from him because he feel that some action will happen against Mazda as the cars look like new,  and the scrap area with this CX7 s look like show room- WHAT A FAILURE MAZDA!!!!!!
  • donnaw2020donnaw2020 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Mazda CX7 with a little over 60,000 miles. The timing chain broke destroying my engine. The extended warranty expired 6 months ago. Mazda will not do anything because I have not been taking my car to a dealership. I have kept copies of every oil change and anything else I had done with my car.. I am having to put a new engine in it because I cannot afford car payments. I loved that car until now. Please keep me informed of any class action law suit or recall.