Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra Starting and Stalling Problems

2»

Comments

• pedropct3pedropct3 Member Posts: 2
    Nissan sentra start right up and drive fine until warn,
    maybe 10 miles and engine quits, no sputtering just shuts off.
    It wait about 15 minutes start and drive fine another 4 miles and shuts off again.
    Any idea?
  • sadiexsadiex Member Posts: 1
    CHECK YOUR SPARK PLUGS! i replaced the MAF & Throttle body and it didn't do anything. It was months with this problem and the computer wasn't reading things correctly. Maybe it was a combo of things. My head gasket was messed up too so maybe water went into the spark plugs after that. 3 plugs were messed up and one had rust from water. Hope that helps and hope my car doesn't give me any more problems for a while.
  • toynistoynis Member Posts: 1
    I have 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8, automatic, 36,000 miles, stalls and will not accelerate after I stop for a red light or STOP sign. This only happens when it rains. It takes a minute or more before it accelerates and takes off It also does not start right away, but takes a few cranks to ignite and turn on, this happens always. I had a mechanic check the spark plugs and sensor codes. All checked out okay.

I researched and learned about the following 2 Nissan class action lawsuits and owner if the same is occurring to my 04 Sentra.

1. Notice of proposed settlement -Lawsuits were filed regarding the 2005-2010 model year Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Xterra, and Nissan Frontier vehicles... lawsuits alleged that these vehicles contain a defect that permits cross-contamination of engine coolant and transmission fluid, ultimately causing the radiator and transmission to fail or need substantial repairs and further allege that Nissan failed to disclose the alleged defect to consumers. See details at http://classaction.kccllc.net/Documents/NNS0001/NNS_NOT.pdf

2. consumer class action concerning secondary timing chains, secondary timing chain tensioners and secondary timing chain tensioner shoes (“Timing Chain Systems”) installed in 2004 -2008 Nissan Maxima vehicles, 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest vehicles, 2004 – 2006 Nissan Altima vehicles (with the VQ35 engine), 2005 – 2007 Nissan Pathfinder vehicles, 2005 – 2007 Nissan Xterra vehicles, and 2005 – 2007 Nissan Frontier vehicles (with the VQ40 engine)... When the timing chain systems fail, they can cause a variety of problems, including the inability of the vehicles to accelerate and maintain speed, as well as catastrophic engine failure...
    For details go to: http://www.gotaclassaction.com/nissan-north-america-named-in-class-action-lawsui- t-alleging-failure-to-disclose-defect-in-timing-chain-systems-which-results-in-p- remature-failure/

There is no mention, of the 04 Sentra, I am wondering could the same or similar be happening?
    Experts, please advise, i need help on how to proceed. Thank you.
  • lvaw7177lvaw7177 Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure about the acceleration problem, but the hard/multiple cranks is probably your fuel pump. I have the same car and mine has the same problem. There was a service memo sent out when this car was still under warranty with a fix for the fuel pumps. Obviously it's not covered now but I would recommend replacing the fuel pump first, it might be going completely bad which would explain your acceleration problems too. Good luck.
    PS. If you're a do-it-your-selfer there's a video on youtube showing how to change the fuel pump on your own. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners though.
  • nissan_tech1nissan_tech1 Member Posts: 16

ok, this is for everyone with a sentra with starting problem. first off long crank....sometimes a long crank can be a fuel pump...u have fuel pressure while it is running but once u turn it off the fuel pressure bleeds away.....its a seal in the fuel pump....for certain years there was a seal kit to repair that but for 50 buxs more ...just get a fuel pump. the next thing would be a crank or cam sensor...sometimes they go bad, sometimes they have a porous leak and oil leaks through them into the connector...something to look for...check both. last is ur worst nightmare...the headgasket leak...pull the spark plugs and coolant there in the cylinder then u need a new headgasket. hope this helps everyone...take care and good luck.

• rkris2013rkris2013 Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2003 sentra xe automatic with a 1.8 and about 140k miles on it. I had some trouble with it stalling while idling, but this was fixed by replacing the battery. Now it will stall rarely very soon after I start driving. After this happens the car won't start until I put it back in park. It is fine after that. I love my car despite it having multiple issues, this being the worst, and have been trying to fix it up after buying it recently from a truly awful dealership. This problem is very dangerous and I need to fix it, but don't know what is causing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • hmmreallyhmmreally Member Posts: 1

I have a 2008 Sentra. I've replaced the key, battery, alternator, and checked the fuses. And the car wont start. Doesn't crank, can't even jump it. I've been reading about the BCM, is this possible? I don't even have 29K miles on it. I feel like the dealer is bleeding me dry. HELP!!

• sothis115sothis115 Member Posts: 1
    If your Sentra doesn't even CRANK, then I'd say there's an issue with your starter motor. Maybe it has failed or the connections are so bad that even trying to jump it won't work.

OR...the engine has seized up. I think that's the worst scenario.

No posts here for 9 months! Is everyone's Sentra working now, or have you just given up?
  • irdogetsirdogets Member Posts: 2
    So I have a 2001 nissan sentra 1.8 an the starter went and the check engine light said the idle control system was bad. 
    we put a new starter new idle control.  Check engine now says mass air flow.  Starter now sometimes cranks.  An as long as I don't turn it off it'll drive marvelous.  Turn it off an it won't stay on. 
    We changed the clutch switch and the ignition relay plug thingie behind ignition lol.  
    But currently won't crank.  Starters good. Would cleaning the throttle help. Wondering from reading this site
    . Any suggestions?  
  • irdogetsirdogets Member Posts: 2
    I drove half hour to work no problem. As soon as I shut it off.  It took forever to start.  I deliver so I drove a ten hour shift no problem because I didn't shut it off all night.
  • mattr262mattr262 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Nissan Sentra SER. My current issue is that the car starts, will go into gear, but will not accelerate. When not in gear, the engine will rev, in gear, it barely exceeds 1000RPM. This is true for reverse or drive. The red battery light is on, but no codes are being thrown.
  • cb616cb616 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Nissian Sentra GXE with the 1.6 the car runs just fine when sitting still but will die after 10 minutes of driving. Any ideas as to what would cause this problem
  • breeze7breeze7 Member Posts: 12
    I'm shopping around for a 2015 Nissan but not to sure if I want to buy a Nissan after reading these comments.
    I have found someone who has a pathfinder with a whole lot of miles on it & he loves it. I just never heard a lot about Nissan's can anyone tell me something good about these cars?
  • iogbrideauiogbrideau Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2016
    I have a 2015 Sentra SV with manual transmission. Not even 250km on it and stalled and couldn't start at a stop... Thankfully was able to start it after a few minutes of people honking.Is it just that they made the same mistake as they did with the 2013 where they recalled them for the computer, for the same problem? RPM goes under 500 when idle and it wasn't the first time the car was close to stalling. Just got rid of a lemon 2013 Sentra and it seems I got another one... Only stayed with Sentra because they gave me an insane deal for it, otherwise I would've went for Honda or Toyota. Beauport Nissan is telling me that this issue was fixed and that I don't have it. They are of no help.
  • jnbraswelljnbraswell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 nissan sentra. It was running fine then started jumping. I eased up on the gas and it stopped jumping. I continued for about a half a mile and then it stalled. When trying to start it back it will start for about 5 seconds then die again. The more we continue the less time it stays on each time until it won't start. We let it sit for a while then try again, and it'll start again for a few seconds and die. Everyone I've talked to says it's the fuel pump and/or filter. Any ideas?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    edited January 2017
    None that really matter without testing and proving what is going on. You need to measure fuel pressure and see if it is in spec. You also need to test and prove if you are getting (and keeping) spark and injector pulse as it runs and dies. Armed with that information as well as any trouble codes the system is setting, then you still wouldn't be ready to just say that the problem is "X" or "Y" but you would be ready to use some focused pinpoint testing to prove exactly what is wrong.
  • butterfly85butterfly85 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Sentra. Yesterday for about 5 seconds, while going a steady 50 mph it felt like it stalled but nothing turned off. Then it continued to run fine for another 15-20 min before I got home and parked. 5 minutes later I had to go back out but the car would not start. It would crank but not turn over. After about 3 attempts it turned over and ran fine although the check engine light came on.  The next two times I had to start it I had the same issue: it would crank but not turn over, and took about 3 tries to get it to start. I had auto zone scan it, it had a throttle position sensor code. I unhooked the battery and replaced the sensor. The first start it started fine. However the second time I had to start it the car cranked but would not turn over again. Again it took about 3 times of cranking on it to start. Any ideas?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited July 2017
    If you post the # of the code, we might be able to come up with additional suggestions. The best thing of course would be to test for spark and fuel pressure while the no-start is happening. If you don't have that capability, one "cheat-test" would be to spray some starting fluid in the air cleaner--if the engine kicks right off, then you probably have fuel-delivery problem. If nothing happens, then probably...maybe...some spark or ignition issue. Of course, you can have good fuel pressure and good spark and still not start if the fuel injectors aren't getting a pulse, to open.
  • Evan_shawEvan_shaw Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 nissan sentra GXE starts but right when it starts it doesn't get over 500 rpms then it dies and does the same thing. I try pushing on the gas pedal to see if that could be the problem but it doesn't help at all. Anyone know what's wrong with my car? I hope people will see this as this chat is about 10 years old. 
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You need to scan for trouble codes; otherwise you're in the dark with this. The codes will at least give you some idea of where to go look. Most auto parts stores, like Autozone, will lend you the code reader.