Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox engine problem/stalling/rough idle . . . Yikes!!

elizabeth41elizabeth41 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox that is also have the same engine problems (diesel-like start, rough idle, stalling, etc). It has been at the dealership for 5 days, and they have yet to "duplicate" the problem. The "problem" was occurring all weekend before I dropped it off to the dealership on Monday. What do you do when the dealership cannot "duplicate" the problem? I'm terrified to drive the vehicle, and I for sure don't want to take my 2 year old son around in it. Should I contact GM? Should I insist the dealership keep it until they can duplicate the problem? What are my legal rights in this situation?

Comments

• elizabeth41elizabeth41 Member Posts: 3
    Also, the oil is black and smells pretty bad. I just had my oil changed 2,400 miles ago. The dealership is still waiting to hear the problem, but have done little under the hood to look for the problem.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    edited May 2013
    Hello Elizabeth41

I responded to your related post on the 2011 Chevy Equinox Engine Problems board. Please email me at socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Jackie so that I can assist you in working to get this issue resolved.

Jackie
    Chevrolet Customer Care
  • bigkritterbigkritter Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
  • cmommcmomm Member Posts: 1
    maybe my time will come but my 2011 has had 1 small problem in 30k miles----computer had 'check engine' light stay on when driving---10 minutes at dealers and all is well----been a good car and wonderful ride and handling ---so far-----let dealership do maintenance since it is not much over what locals would charge anyway----wonderful, caring dealership at Brookville, Pa Chevy-Buick and I will be back next year to get another Nox (stay in warranty and let them do any big bucks jobs for 'nada')
  • luxdesluxdes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox that has problems I had the car for less than 6 months when it began a jerking motion when I put my foot on the gas from a stop. Then at the 6 month mark the car totally stalled and I could not put it in gear. I took it to the dealer and they had to replace the transmission module. Within the first year I had problems with a diesel-like start, rough idle, stalling. I took it to the dealer and they could not "duplicate" the problem. They told me that no codes appeared. I still had the problem again so I took it in and they installed a remote system that was supposed to record the issue however the remote system never seemed to work. They removed the remote system and told me that it did not record any problems. I am still having the issue and I do not have any faith in the car. I tried to trade it in for 2014 but unfortunately the resale is so poor that the gap between what I owe and the trade in is too big so now I am stuck with is car this car, the first American car I ever owned which I have no confidence in. I used to love this car and now I really wish I bought the Honda. I also want to know what do you do when the dealership cannot "duplicate" the problem? I am also terrified to drive the vehicle. What are my legal rights in this situation? Do I have to shell out money for an extended warranty because a new car is already breaking down? How long do I have to wait to get this issue resolved?
    Hi luxdes

I would like to try and assist you with this. If you are interested in my help you can email me at socialmedia@gm.com. Please include your VIN, full name, current mileage and a link to this thread or a description of the issue. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this frustrating issue.

Jackie
    GM Customer Care
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Kindly be advised that your vehicle is under warranty, and as such, both GM and the dealer are obligated to make the necessary repairs! ---- Make sure you have your vehicle serviced at the dealership for your oil and filter service, and keep all of your service receipts! ---- Please keep everyone advised as to your progress with these problems. ---- What we are seeing on this board, is a "perfect example" of "poor customer service" at the dealer level! ---- All the best! ---- Dwayne
    Hey all. I have a question for you. How many of you have OnStar in your vehicle? I do and and they have been telling me my vehicle is having no issues where found and the tire pressure is way off even thougjh I have stopped several times to put air in them, They seem to think that my car is working fine. I think they should be held accountable also.
  • onstaradvisoronstaradvisor Member Posts: 2
    Bigkritter -

The OnStar Diagnostic email is ran once per month and pulls data directly from the vehicles tire pressure monitoring system. If your diagnostic report does not mimic what is shown on your drivers’ information panel, this can be attributed to a few things. 1-The OVD is a cold calculation. The tire pressure can vary slightly once the vehicle is driven and environmental influences such as weather conditions. 2-Your tire pressure monitoring system may need recalibration, which the dealer can do. I hope that helps, if you have any additional questions just let me know.

- Sara, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    It sounds like u may have to much air in your tires. It will show a problem with tires for that to. TPS checks for low & high tire pressure
    First off I would like to say I was unable to finish my last post, Sorry The main part of OnStar that I feel is not working properly is:

I receive my monthly OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics indicates that, There are no issue are found with my engine and transmission system WRONG

NEXT
    No reply on this
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I would not depend on onstar for really good diagnostics it can pick up on some things but it is far from complete.
    Hi Sara-
    If I can not depend on the on OnStar Diagnostic, how can I depend on the Safe and Sound Feature?
  • lrg355lrg355 Member Posts: 3
    Had that problem on mine at approx 20k miles. Dealer said it was related to variable cam timing mechanism. Fixed it and haven't seen it since. Currently 85k miles. Dealer recently replaced leaking seal in transaxle. I know there is a recall on the issue you have and the warranty relating to that has been extended to 150k. I think some of the issues occuring are because of the dealer service is questionable. Everything that has occured on my Nox has been fixed correctly the first time.
    Yes the mileage is off and the power is anemic. However, the performance is a bit better after the last visit. They did a re-flash of the computer to take care of the long oil change interval warnings as per recall. I could probably go 15K before oil life monitor had a warning. Car seems to be running a bit crisper and shifting better.
    My dealer, Fairway Chevrolet in Hazleton, Pa has been excellent.
  • millet70millet70 Member Posts: 2

@elizabeth41 said:
    I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox that is also have the same engine problems (diesel-like start, rough idle, stalling, etc). It has been at the dealership for 5 days, and they have yet to "duplicate" the problem. The "problem" was occurring all weekend before I dropped it off to the dealership on Monday. What do you do when the dealership cannot "duplicate" the problem? I'm terrified to drive the vehicle, and I for sure don't want to take my 2 year old son around in it. Should I contact GM? Should I insist the dealership keep it until they can duplicate the problem? What are my legal rights in this situation?

• millet70millet70 Member Posts: 2

I have the exact same issue with my 2011 Chevy Equinox. GMC is well aware that it is an issue with an intake sensor that is covered under the powertrain warranty. My car would shake and rattle just like a diesel semi starting. They were not able to diagnose my issue until the sensor went out completely. They kept telling me the same thing. That they could diagnose it because it wasn't doing it when I dropped it off. When that occurs the vehicle completely shuts off while driving. You have no control of the car or steering. It is a serious liability/safety issue. I have filed a complaint with GMC. . There is a serious issue with the powertrain on the 2011 Equinox even if GMC does not want to admit to it. My vehicle has shut down twice while driving. Luckly, I was able to pull it off the road without further incident. I am bringing it again on Monday for the same issue with the noise and rough idle. I hate to loose the money that I have invested in the vehicle, but I am looking to swap mine out for another vehicle. I fear to continue to drive my vehicle as well.

• jcourt62jcourt62 Member Posts: 1

We have a 201 v4 AWD drive Equinox. It has been nothing but problems and is now a death trap as far as I am concerned. In the little over 3 years I have owned the car I have always complained of my engine running very loudly. There have been many fixes to correct the "problem." I have had a Fuel pump replaced, cam shaft replaced, exhaust re positioning, balance shaft, water pump, timing work, transmission work and my engine rebuilt. Here I am just over 3 months after having the engine rebuilt and my engine is burning a quart of oil a week (I drive 12 miles each way to work daily). My dealership has ordered me a new engine but Chevy is not returning my calls, emails, chats and social media posts with any type of resolution to my problem for my car which is still covered by their warranty. Meanwhile I am driving a death trap 3 months pregnant with my 2 year old in the back.

Hello jcourt62,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been unable to speak with Customer Care regarding your concern. We'd be happy to look further into your situation. To discuss further, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Andraya R.
    GM Customer Care

• ulvdemonulvdemon Member Posts: 1

I am currently experiencing the same issue as listed above with my 2011 Chevy Equinox. Vehicle stalled while driving, idle's rough, and sounds like a rough. Taking it into the dealership and I am hoping that it can be found and resolved. Not looking forward to playing the "can't replicate the problem" game.

• dc_kylucasdc_kylucas Member Posts: 1

I have a 2014 Chevy Equinox LT AWD that hesitates when accelerating ... like the engine / transmission is going bad. BUT THIS CAR IS NEW. The OnStar reports don't show a thing ... what gives? Anyone have any experience similar?

• noxowner2011noxowner2011 Member Posts: 1

Hi - I had the same problem so beware and my car burned up on the road. I had noticed a rough idle that was intermittent in the morning but went away immediately when I drove. Thought it needed a tuneup but on a 4-hour drive back to my home state, it started doing during the drive with a bit of power lag. I pulled over to ask Onstar for a diagnostic and it came back "Fuel system not functioning as expected. Expect lags in power. Have serviced within 7 days." I asked Onstar to transfer me to the dealer because I wanted to make sure if this was a recall, am I safe? Is the car ok to finish my trip? The dealer assured me this was a "special bulletin" and to drive it on home, it and I would be fine. I babied it all the way staying under 55 for about 2 hours and it was occasionally rattling but I kept a good eye on the heat gauge and it was in a normal range. Then I noticed it came back and was slightly louder and a noticeable lag in power. I had decided to pull off the next exit, I saw smoke billowing around my car and began to lose power. My steering and brakes went OUT as I rolled onto the shoulder and waited for the car to come to a stop. I exited immediately and as I looked back, I saw a puddle of gas under my car which was flaming up. My care was a total cinder in 10 minutes or so. GM is looking into this issue but in my opinion this should be a recall. Losing your power steering and brakes is serious business. I am very lucky I didn't hit someone and get trapped in a burning car.
  • acasavecchiaacasavecchia Member Posts: 1
    Just had this issue with my 2011! I am picking it up today and have to drive it 1000 miles then back to have it looked at, repeat and repeat one more time. I am not very happy that this is how the issue has to be handled. It is an inconvenience and seeing that it is not a new issue, they should take care of it. The initial service person was a jerk, I talked to the manager nad he was great. I will deal with him going forward.

Just had this issue with my 2011! I am picking it up today and have to drive it 1000 miles then back to have it looked at, repeat and repeat one more time. I am not very happy that this is how the issue has to be handled. It is an inconvenience and seeing that it is not a new issue, they should take care of it. The initial service person was a jerk, I talked to the manager nad he was great. I will deal with him going forward.

Hi acasavecchia,

We're glad to hear you've been able to connect with the dealership service manager for assistance, but we regret to learn you're in this situation. Please keep us posted on your progress and if there is anything we can do to help we're available via private message.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• monica_reneemonica_renee Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2011 chevy equinox a little over a year ago. A couple months ago I started noticing that my car would make a rough start when I turned the car on. Monday my check engine light came on and it was still idling really rough when you start it up. This morning I was at a light and it hesitated to go when I pressed on the gas. I dropped my son off at school and when I was trying to take off it just shut off. I put it in park and started it again. I drove to work and it seems ok, but my light is still on. I hope that when I get off work it will start right up and that I won't have any problems. I drive about 45 minutes on the highway so I would hate for my car to just shut off in the middle of driving going 65 mph.
  • steves1973steves1973 Member Posts: 1
    Here is the problem. The rattle noise on start up when cold is due to the variable camshaft actuators leaking down oil. The rattle is the camshaft actuators filling with oil. The repair, as per a bulletin from GM, is to replace the camshaft actuators, the solenoid valves that control them and updating the software in the ECM. A rattle at all times while idling is actually the water pump/balance shaft chain that has stretched. The cause is a leaking high pressure fuel pump leaking fuel into the oil and causing chain wear. The repair is to replace the balance shaft chain and tensioner along with the high pressure fuel pump and feed pipe. Sometimes there is additional damage to the timing chain guides which results in the timing chain kit being installed as well. Dark colored oil is normal due to oil suspending dirt but if the oil is black or has a strong foul smell, you most likely have fuel in the oil from the high pressure pump for the direct fuel injectors. GM supposedly improved the pumps after March of 2011. Any Equinox or Terrain built prior most likely have these issues. Once any of these repairs have been done it is highly recommended to perform an oil consumption analysis. If the engine is consuming too much oil (approx. 1 qt/ 1500 miles) then a new piston and ring kit is required as the contaminated
    oil has damaged the piston ring coating allowing more oil consumption. These vehicles are also known for cracking the exhaust manifold almost in half and melting the catalytic converter. Additional problems lay in the 6 speed transmission and the failure in the 3-5-R wave plate resulting in no 3rd gear or reverse.
  • matt200matt200 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2012 Chevy Equinox 5 months ago used with 42,000 miles on it. It was a good car up until yesterday when it randomly shut down while I was making a left hand turn at a light. Scary experience considering I was in the middle of a 4 way inner section. After I put the car in park and restarted it I had no problems and could not repeat the problem. Fast forward to today I drove 3 miles and the same thing happen. I turned the car around and it happen about 5 for times going those 3 miles to get back home. Unfortunately I dont have an extended warranty. Does any one know if its worth it to take it to the chevy dealership or can I take it anywhere?
  • murzyn21murzyn21 Member Posts: 1
    This problem just occurred for the first time with my 2011 4cyl equinox. 42,000 miles, started up yesterday and as soon as I put it in drive and started moving, all the hazard lights came on the dashboard, the engine stalled and power steering went out.  Turned the car off restarted it and as soon as we started moving it stalled again. Tried this about 10 times with the same result so had it towed to the dealership. Hopefully  they  will have an answer for me this week
  • mcross1221mcross1221 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2010 Equinox LT 4 cylinder with 18,000 miles on it. I now have 36,000 miles and it's stalling constantly, runs rough, no indicator lights. This car is going to get me killed on my commute one day! It is sitting in my driveway now and I can't even use it! What is going on Chevrolet? I have an appointment with a dealer tomorrow for a recall on this car. Am going to have him check this out as well. This is ridiculous! This car is a low mileage car.
  • a454elka454elk Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2013 Equinox and guess what, they still haven't figured out the problem. Same as stated here already. Ours has 10k miles on it and we bought it new in Sept of 13. Stalling problems started in April of 14. Started with O2 sensor failure. They said it was shorting out and causing it to stall. That was just the beginning of the stalling problem. Continued to stall and idle rough and then die. Repeatedly brought back to the dealer and they said they found the wire causing the short each time. Repaired so they say. Nope, doing it again and again to this day. Of course now there is no error code, just the stalling issues and rough idle. Daughter driving it with our grand daughter and it's stalled in the intersection, parking lots and on the freeway. They have issues duplicating the problem so at times they have done nothing. Last month it died and had to be towed to the dealer. They said a wire was pinched under the valve cover causing a short and stall. They fixed that and it stalled and died again last week. Couldn't get it started, no error code. Towed back to dealer. Now they have replaced the throttle body? They called last night and said it's ready. My daughter is afraid to drive it. I contacted GM and started the buy back procedure. They said go ahead and pick it up until they check into the problems. I asked if they are telling me to drive it and if it stalls and someone gets hurt, then what? He said it's your choice to drive it, we aren't telling you to. So how the hell do I pick it up and bring it home without driving it?! Tow it home? So it sits at the dealer, paying the payment nearly $400 to not drive it.

This car is a nightmare. I feel unsafe in it and my daughter feels unsafe in it. I want this car bought back. GM has to take responsibility for this unsafe car.

On another note, the GM rep on the phone said I need to bring the car in every time it stalls and that I'm not upholding my end of the bargain with warranty if I don't. I told him it's not possible to bring it every time and when we do, it can't be duplicated so do tell, what shall I do?

Thank you GM for doing this to a life long GM customer.
    a454elk said:

We have a 2013 Equinox and guess what, they still haven't figured out the problem. Same as stated here already. Ours has 10k miles on it and we bought it new in Sept of 13. Stalling problems started in April of 14. Started with O2 sensor failure. They said it was shorting out and causing it to stall. That was just the beginning of the stalling problem. Continued to stall and idle rough and then die. Repeatedly brought back to the dealer and they said they found the wire causing the short each time. Repaired so they say. Nope, doing it again and again to this day. Of course now there is no error code, just the stalling issues and rough idle. Daughter driving it with our grand daughter and it's stalled in the intersection, parking lots and on the freeway. They have issues duplicating the problem so at times they have done nothing. Last month it died and had to be towed to the dealer. They said a wire was pinched under the valve cover causing a short and stall. They fixed that and it stalled and died again last week. Couldn't get it started, no error code. Towed back to dealer. Now they have replaced the throttle body? They called last night and said it's ready. My daughter is afraid to drive it. I contacted GM and started the buy back procedure. They said go ahead and pick it up until they check into the problems. I asked if they are telling me to drive it and if it stalls and someone gets hurt, then what? He said it's your choice to drive it, we aren't telling you to. So how the hell do I pick it up and bring it home without driving it?! Tow it home? So it sits at the dealer, paying the payment nearly $400 to not drive it.

This car is a nightmare. I feel unsafe in it and my daughter feels unsafe in it. I want this car bought back. GM has to take responsibility for this unsafe car.

On another note, the GM rep on the phone said I need to bring the car in every time it stalls and that I'm not upholding my end of the bargain with warranty if I don't. I told him it's not possible to bring it every time and when we do, it can't be duplicated so do tell, what shall I do?

Thank you GM for doing this to a life long GM customer.

Hi there,

We truly apologize for the reoccurring concerns with your Equinox, and we would be more than happy to look into this further for you. Please feel free to send us an e-mail to us at socialmedia@gm.com along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and dealership. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care

• snowman7007snowman7007 Member Posts: 1
    I have just brought my 2011 Equinox in today for the same problem,  I had taken it yesterday to the dealership, stating the problem and check engine light,  they returned the car saying that when the oil change is due the light may come on.   Well, they sent me off having done nothing but resetting the computer.  Today.  24 hours later, I was taking a left turn when the car stalled in the middle of the intersection.  I was almost hit!!   This is Un-acceptable.  The vehicle is at Simon Chevrolet, in Woonsocket RI.  I hope they take this problem seriously.  There is only 50900 mile on it, and I have a warranty.  I will keep you all posted... 
  • aphoatsaphoats Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 2011 Equinox in May with 101K miles. Got an engine light on the way home from the dealership. P0420 code. We called the dealership who said to bring them the car and they will look into it. We live 2 hours away from where we bought the car so we couldn't take it in until the following weekend. Another check engine light gave P0303. My husband took a day off work to take it to the dealership and they said nothing is wrong with it, replaced the spark plugs and said it should be fine. Got a check engine light P0420 and P0303 again the following week. Also had rough idle, car seems to jump forward when sitting at a stop or coasting, car continues to run 3-6 seconds after the key has been removed. Dealership said to bring it back and they will look at it. They "cannot duplicate the issue" and keep implying that nothing is wrong. They kept the car for the weekend and replaced a seal that they said was the issue. Following week another light. P0303, P0420 again. The dealership asked us to bring it back and they would send it to another mechanic they know (clearly showing they are incapable of fixing the issue... doesn't look so good for them). We again dropped the car off for the weekend. Once again they "cannot duplicate the issue", the mechanic checked everything and "nothing is wrong" but he replaced the #3 coil pack (?). Following week the light comes back. P0303, P0420, and P0300 this time. The dealership again implies nothing is wrong because they cannot duplicate the issue. So I videoed the car and text them 4 videos showing the rough idle and the car continuing to run after being turned off. Suddenly their story changes to clearly something is wrong with the car and we cannot fix it. Bring it back and we'll trade it for another car on our lot. They have nothing I am even remotely interested in.
    We decided to take the car to a Chevy dealership by our house and paid $100 for diagnostics to be ran. After having the car 4 hours they told us it is 100% the catalytic converter and O2 sensor. $1500 to fix it. My husband called GM customer care who said if it is a manufacturer defect they will cover it 100% (as long as the car is under 100K miles). We bought the car at slightly over 101K but now has almost 104K from driving it back and forth to the dealership who was incapable of fixing the issue.
    My husband spoke to GM customer care on Monday this week after the dealership ran diagnostics. They were going to review our case and get back to us within 24-48 hours to let us know if they will cover the defect. My husband called them numerous times yesterday and they will not answer nor return calls. It has now been 72 hours and we still have not heard from GM, but the lady at the Chevy dealership told us she is pretty sure that GM said they are not going to cover it. Thanks a lot GM.
    Hello aphoats,

I truly regret to hear of this negative experience and, sincerely apologize for all the trouble you’ve encountered with your 2011 Equinox. Making frequent trips to the dealer can be frustrating and we certainly recognize this. Since you mentioned speaking with a representative from our GM Customer Care team, we’d be happy to review your case in greater detail if you could send us your case number or VIN in an email to Socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN Jasmine F in the subject line.

Thank you!

Jasmine F
    Chevrolet Customer Care
  • aphoatsaphoats Member Posts: 2
    Update, GM contacted us this morning (only two days later than they promised) and said they will not fix the car, because we bought it used and it was never brought in to a GM dealership for service by the previous owner. Seriously disappointed in the "customer service" by GM. This is the first GM car I have ever purchased and I assure you it will be the last. Hope once we replace the catalytic converter and the O2 sensor the car will be in working condition and we can trade it in for something reliable. We may lose too much money trading for this to work out and I may be stuck with this car. Praying this isn't the case.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Why should GM be liable for a past owners negligence?
    aphoats said:

Update, GM contacted us this morning (only two days later than they promised) and said they will not fix the car, because we bought it used and it was never brought in to a GM dealership for service by the previous owner. Seriously disappointed in the "customer service" by GM. This is the first GM car I have ever purchased and I assure you it will be the last. Hope once we replace the catalytic converter and the O2 sensor the car will be in working condition and we can trade it in for something reliable. We may lose too much money trading for this to work out and I may be stuck with this car. Praying this isn't the case.

aphoats,

We certainly recognize your frustration and understand this was not the resolution you were hoping for. Your loyalty is important to us and we hope this situation does not shape your opinion of the GM brand moving forward. If there is anything else we can do to assist in the future please let us know and we'll do whatever we can to help.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited June 2015
    aphoats said:

I'm trying to figure out under what theory you believe GM should warranty a car which you bought used far, far out of warranty. What is your theory?

Did you have your own mechanic make a prepurchase inspection of the vehicle BEFORE you bought it? Go back to your inspection mechanic and whine at them to fix it.

Did you buy it from the GM dealer whom you are taking it to for service now? If not, have you asked the other dealer to replace the car under that same theory you seem to use that GM should warranty the car bought by someone else forever?

I know it makes people feel good to kvetch online, but as Judge Judy would say, " R'diculous!"
    I can hear her saying it now...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• dawnelle00dawnelle00 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2012 Equinox.  1 owner before me and has always been serviced at the dealership. I have had issues since i bought ut and apparently the owner before me did too according to the dealership. First i had a new dash screen put in because it wasn't connecting. Then a new usb because it stopped working. And that wasnt covered under a warranty i was told. All under 30 thousand miles. Now i am at 48 thousand after having the car for 1 year the radio stops working again. Told a glitch i have to pay $ 1000.00 to fix. Now the car is running slow this last week and rough. I hear a clicking noice when i step on the gas. I start it up today and check engine light is on. Call onstar and they tell me to take it to the dealership in 1 day. They made me an appointment for tomorrow. Can anyone tell me how much it cost them to fix. I cant afford this. I knew i should have gotten rid of it when the tech at the Chevy dealership told me he gets the most problems with the equinox and i might want to think about trading it in. 
    Hello dawnelle00,

I understand this has been a difficult situation and apologize for the inconvenience you've experienced with your 2012 Equinox. You have the right to expect quality and reliability from your vehicle and I recognize this is frustrating. Feel free to send us an email containing your VIN, full contact information and preferred dealership to socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN Jasmine F in the subject line. I'd be happy to look into this further and do whatever I can to help your dealership work toward a solution for your concerns.

I look forward to assisting you!

Jasmine F
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    gmcustsvc said:

Hello dawnelle00,

I understand this has been a difficult situation and apologize for the inconvenience you've experienced with your 2012 Equinox. You have the right to expect quality and reliability from your vehicle and I recognize this is frustrating. Feel free to send us an email containing your VIN, full contact information and preferred dealership to socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN Jasmine F in the subject line. I'd be happy to look into this further and do whatever I can to help your dealership work toward a solution for your concerns.

I look forward to assisting you!

Jasmine F
    Chevrolet Customer Care

@gmcustsvc

Thank You for contacting me. I emailed you my information.
    Hello dawnelle00,

You're most certainly welcome! I've received your email and will respond shortly.

I look forward to assisting you,

Jasmine F
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    gmcustsvc said:

Hello dawnelle00,

You're most certainly welcome! I've received your email and will respond shortly.

Jasmine F
    Chevrolet Customer Care

@gmcustsvc

Jasmine,
    I e-mailed you again this morning. I took my car in Thursday. They repaired a valve, and I picked it up on Thursday with no check engine light on. Driving it Friday, it came back on. Took it back to the shop this morning. If you could possibly contact them today while they have it I would greatly appreciate it. I have family flying in and we are suppose to be camping this weekend. I am hoping I have a car to do that. :)

Thank You,
    Dawnelle
    Thanks, Dawnelle. We'll be looking out for your email and should be responding shortly. We look forward to further discussing a solution.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • cgerhart8072cgerhart8072 Member Posts: 1
    I have purchased a 2012 Equinox awd and loved it until it started the hard idle and the stalling. I bought it used and it was out of the bumper to bumper. It had no issues up until the stalling. I took it to a dealer after it stalled multiple times and they replaced the intake cam actuator solenoid, cleaned the throttle bore, and relearned idle. I just got it back today, It seemed to fix the issue. I hope. Will keep you posted.

gmcustsvc said:

Hello dawnelle00,

Jasmine F
    Chevrolet Customer Care

@gmcustsvc

Jasmine,
    I e-mailed you again this morning. I took my car in Thursday. They repaired a valve, and I picked it up on Thursday with no check engine light on. Driving it Friday, it came back on. Took it back to the shop this morning. If you could possibly contact them today while they have it I would greatly appreciate it. I have family flying in and we are suppose to be camping this weekend. I am hoping I have a car to do that. :)

Thank You,
    Dawnelle

Jamine @gmcustsvc My car is back in the shop this morning for the same issues. I knew it hasn't been running right for the last couple of months but with no check engine light on there was nothing they could see. Now check engine light is back on and running the same errors as it was in July. I did email you this morning. Please let me know if there is something you can do to help get this fixed.

Thank You!
    Dawnelle B.
  • atua0919atua0919 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys! So I have the Chevy Equinox 2011 and have been having the same issues. So far here's what I've done so far.

Action: Cleaned the throttle body, mass air flow sensor and changed the oil.
    Effect: Rough Idle during driving and engine failure while driving have ceased. Rough start up still persist.

Perhaps it has something to do with EGR valve/sensor. Will update later. Please comment if you've already gotten this solved!
  • ibjordan23ibjordan23 Member Posts: 2
    I seem to be having the same issues as everyone else with our 2011 equinox.  Started with the rough idle/running after turned off and has progressed through a catalytic convertor going bad, several months of oil consumption tests then having the piston rings replaced last month.  Thankfully the piston ring repair was under warranty since it cost over $2000. However I had to pay for the catalytic covertor (not sure why this wasn't covered as it appears to have been caused by the other issues). It is currently in the shop again for the rough idle issues. They called this morning and said it is the O2 sensor to the tune of another $120. If all these issues seem to be so wide spread why hasn't Chevy/GM issued a recall for all the issues instead of just the piston rings? I've been starting to think we have got a lemon, but it actually appears to be an issue with the vehicle after reading about everyone else with the same problems. 

I seem to be having the same issues as everyone else with our 2011 equinox.  Started with the rough idle/running after turned off and has progressed through a catalytic convertor going bad, several months of oil consumption tests then having the piston rings replaced last month.  Thankfully the piston ring repair was under warranty since it cost over $2000. However I had to pay for the catalytic covertor (not sure why this wasn't covered as it appears to have been caused by the other issues). It is currently in the shop again for the rough idle issues. They called this morning and said it is the O2 sensor to the tune of another $120. If all these issues seem to be so wide spread why hasn't Chevy/GM issued a recall for all the issues instead of just the piston rings? I've been starting to think we have got a lemon, but it actually appears to be an issue with the vehicle after reading about everyone else with the same problems. 

I am in the process of oil consumption test as well. They can not figure out what is wrong, and when I take it in the look at me like I am crazy! The last time the check engine light came on... they worked on it... and less than a mile down the road it came back on so I had to turn around. I keep thinking there has to be a recall soon.
  • ibjordan23ibjordan23 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    I am in the process of oil consumption test as well. They can not figure out what is wrong, and when I take it in the look at me like I am crazy! The last time the check engine light came on... they worked on it... and less than a mile down the road it came back on so I had to turn around. I keep thinking there has to be a recall soon.
    There was a recall that my 2011 fell under.  However it isn't an automatic recall.  They only do it if you have issues and they determine it meets the recall.  You may be covered under the same recall once they finish the consumption test.