Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems

191011121315»

Comments

• wj03wj03 Member Posts: 2

My windows have started to periodically not work. My sunroof works fine. Also the power locks which are programmed to auto lock (at 15 mph) & unlock (when drivers door is opened) only work with the manual button on the door (just started that today). Has anyone else had this exact problem and if so, where you able to fix it??

i am experiancing the same problem but! does your Remote still unlock and lock the car ?
  • wj03wj03 Member Posts: 2

Hey Matt... I responded once, and this is what I found out since...

The problem: windows, locks, mirrors and auto seat button not working... dome ligths on all the time when I drive... headlights turn on and off when keys are NOT in the ignition and when NOBODY is around.

It's not my battery, it's only 2 months old.

The solution??: After talking to my mechanic it turns out the switch (that controls windows and locks inside the driver door) is not communicating with the body control module. The switch is $202.00 and the BCM is $725.00 brand new + labor. I searched ebay with no luck and finally 40 junk yard calls later I found the switch for $35.00 and the BCM for $150.00. I was also doing some more research on line and someone stated that they changed the BCM first and it didn't do anything, and then they put in a new switch and it worked. Since it's signifigantly cheaper, I will be trying the switch first. I will be getting the switch tomorrow and after I get it on, I'll send another message. But I hope this helps!!
    ~Amanda

i have a 2003 grand cherokee with 133000 miles i have the same probelm but my question is does your remote work ?
  • dc5mandc5man Member Posts: 1
    i bought my jeep used two months ago and it has 37000 miles on it. recently, but not consistently all the gauges quit working when you start the vehicle. if i disconnect the battery the problem is fixed until the next time which could be a couple of hours to days later. if anyone has any answers please let me know before i burn it to the ground.........
    check the voltage on the battery gauge if is not exactly on 14 so the alternator is your problem. also whe you disconnect the battery while the jeep is running check if you notice any flikering on your cluster . if is you need new alternator also if you still have the original alternator is time for a new one. dont trust autozone or any part store to test your alternator or staters. good luck if this fix your problem let us know
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    DO NOT disconnect the battery as an alternator test. The battery is the biggest capacitor in the car and it helps smooth out voltage spikes that can damage electronic modules in the car.

With a factory level scan tool the first step is to confirm if the instrument cluster is present on the data bus when the problem occurs. Then one has to confirm powers and grounds as well as confirm if the system uses a wake up command to turn modules on and if it does the tech has to confirm if that command is being received. When you approach the shop describe the problem and the frequency of the events. Set an appointment in a manner that they will take the car in the next time that it happens, without you disconnecting the battery to make the problem go away.
  • Dan20878Dan20878 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2015
    I own a 1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ 4.0 and the engine cuts out if I sit at idle with or without the brake applied. My check engine light is on and the Codes are P0351, P0455, P0108. In the last two months I had to replace the muffler twice due to backfiring. Im just getting started on diagnosing the issue. I did notice the PCM is loose at the firewall so I lodged a wedge between the two and no more backfiring but once or twice a day the engine will stumble and want to cut out so I power brake it for a few seconds until that passes to get home. I drive a few miles a day each way to the train station so dont know what its like to go long distance. Thanks to all for posting their experience and if anyone has any updates please add so I can get some guidance while working on my ZJ.