Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Wait! THERE's MORE in the graveyard:

Another dying a slow death:

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    I assume the 113 is a 230SL.
    Good catch, yes. It's under a cotton cover with water dripping on it. The old guy was offered $10K as is where is and he turned it down. I thought it was a righteous offer. Paint's shot, some rust, top's rotted. It will probably turn to dust. The old guy is grouchy and paranoid (never a good combination). The 230SL is more popular in Europe than here.
    Yeah sounds like 10K is more than fair. I think a decent enough driver quality 230SL can still be had for 30K or so, and you can't get there from here. 280SLs bring the silly money these days.

Sounds like the kind of hoard where the cars are anxiously awaiting the passing of their owner, so they can join the world again.
    I wonder though if cars like this (below) will ever be brought back? (this is the T-Bird interior)

I think there should be a ASPCC---for the Prevention of Cruelty to Cars. The vehicles would be confiscated and brought to a shelter to be adopted :)

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,093
    I'll never understand why Ford did not put console-mounted shifting in four-place Thunderbirds. They all had buckets and consoles.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    One has to wonder WHY those cars were left to slowly rot away?

I'm sure there is a story.
    Oh, various reasons. I've heard 'em all. Either the person is a dreamer and intends to "restore it someday", or there's some huge emotional attachment, or they have some highly distorted idea of value, or sometimes it's a power trip. The person enjoys the notoriety of having "old cars in the barn" and likes the attention. He has something someone wants and he wont' give it to them.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    A co-worker has about 18 cars, stored on his property and two rented garages. Nothing super valuable, An older Infiniti, a 280Z, Cadillac Seville, etc. He is one who is "emotionally attached" he is single, and he has said they are like his kids. If something breaks, he doesn't like a mechanic to touch his cars, so it sits. Most haven't been started in years. He was selling one car, and didn't like the way the guy drove it on the test drive. No Sale.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788

Oh, various reasons. I've heard 'em all. Either the person is a dreamer and intends to "restore it someday", or there's some huge emotional attachment, or they have some highly distorted idea of value, or sometimes it's a power trip. The person enjoys the notoriety of having "old cars in the barn" and likes the attention. He has something someone wants and he wont' give it to them.

LOL Sounds like the last scenario is the winner for this "grouchy and paranoid" guy. Odd thinking, that.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I think power trip is a big part of it. Some people love attention, and love being able to turn away an eager person. Sentimental value can be in it too, also delusional dreams of future value, or restoration projects with family that will never happen.
    The old guy thought he had $100,000 worth of cars, so when I told him $20K tops he wasn't happy.
    I have perhaps 100 photos of cars just like this that I've found, that are just disintegrating as we speak.
    edited April 2015
    Sounds like the kind of old guy who randomly pulls a gun on a neighbor or at a movie theater when he gets upset. We can hope the cars are set free in good time, if you know what I mean.

I hope you rubbed it in and told him had he properly stored the cars, he'd be a lot closer to the 100K. I suspect they weren't bad when he was somehow able to obtain them (no doubt through hard work and building it himself).

I had my project car out today. It suffered a failure - of sorts. Brake light out. Luckily, bulbs can easily be found at Napa,and changing a bulb in an old MB is as easy can be. Otherwise, the car was fine, started right up, ran fine, took it out for a short highway jaunt. I lowered the idle speed a little, as it sounded too fast.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2015
    I bet a lot of the barn stuff is just inertia. Something to get around to some day but life keeps interfering. One neighbor here has a "classic" truck sitting by his house with four mostly flat tires. It'd be in the garage but they had to convert it when the third kiddo arrived. That kid looks to be at least 8. I suspect his wife mentions the old truck now and then too. ;)
    I think nobody has the heart to admit that much of this stuff is actually landfill at this point.
    Is this a 1940 Nash? Rare, but like they say, who cares. And as it is a 4 door sedan, the rodders won't be too hot on it either. Maybe rat rod.

Those disco Vettes are still worth little due to lack of power and a style not loved by all, it'd have to be very cheap.

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    edited April 2015
    Regarding the barn finds that have been displayed on this forum, I find the comments and opinions as interesting as the cars themselves. Here's my take: At some point, years or decades ago, these cars stopped serving the purpose for which they were originally intended, serving their owners' transportation needs, and began serving their owners' varied psychological needs. This transition was probably not abrupt, in most cases, as there was usually a period of months or years when they were used for transportation and bonding.

People own old cars, whether well maintained or neglected, for the many reasons cited in numerous previous posts. From an economic perspective, the vast majority of them should be euthanised, or used for parts. However, most of us who contribute to these forums aren't that objective when it comes to old cars, especially our own. The owners of these pathetic looking lumps have strong emotional attachments to them. They may not be the same attachments that you or I would have, which is why we get such a wide variety of opinions on what should or could be done with them. In the final analysis, it's for the owners, and only the owners, to decide their fate. If scrapping them would be like pulling the respirator on an old friend, then there's no harm done by letting them continue to rot until they're eventually sold, donated or scrapped by those who inherit them.

For us, these old relics serve our desire to remember our past, our memories and dreams associated with the images, and our desire to express our opinions to others. The huge amount of time we collectively spend on this and similar forums, and the frequency that many of us read or post on this topic, speaks to the importance of old cars in our lives.

I would agree with everything you said except that it puzzles me as to why, with all this 'attachment" and fondness the owners of this crypt of decomposing corpses fail to convey the least bit of respect for the cars. Their actions suggest utter contempt for the vehicles, at least with the ones left to climate or rats. Some, I understand, are postponed restorations, and I'm okay with that.

Even garbage gets shelter from the rain.
    Most all my junk like that has been reduced to digital.

Thank goodness for terabyte drives. :)

Shifty's post reminds me of A Rose for Emily. Wonder if there's ever been a barn find with the owner mummified behind the wheel?
    I've seen dead squirrels, rats, spiders the size of a meatball, snakes, angry raccoons (you don't wanna mess with them), chickens, fire ants, hornets, yellowjackets and mean dogs, but never have seen a mummy (yet).
    edited April 2015
    I remember reading "A Rose for Emily" in American Lit in college. I enjoyed the story as it reminded me of my favorite scary movie since a kid, "Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte" with Bette Davis, Olivia deHavilland and Joseph Cotten.

BTW, the movie featured prominently a couple '64 Buick Electra 225 six-window sedans, and a '64 Buick Special four-door sedan.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    I think your estimate of 20,000 was more than generous unless there was some gem you didn't photo. As much as I really like squarebirds I think this one is gone forever. Hopefully you got paid for giving your opinion.

I once went with a friend to look at a 1940 Cadillac some nuns were selling. It was in a dark garage and it's sole light had a burned out bulb. They handed me a fresh bulb and in the process of fumbling around in the dark trying to find the light fixture I managed to jam my finger into the socket! Of course, the switch was in the on position!

Once that was fixed and the door was opened, we raised the hood only to find a nice nest of yellow jackets!

I'm sure I surpassed my high school 100 yard dash record that day.

Not my best day!
    fintail said:

I had my project car out today. It suffered a failure - of sorts. Brake light out. Luckily, bulbs can easily be found at Napa,and changing a bulb in an old MB is as easy can be. Otherwise, the car was fine, started right up, ran fine, took it out for a short highway jaunt. I lowered the idle speed a little, as it sounded too fast.

On a BMW, if you replace a brake light bulb with one from NAPA, it'll work just fine but a couple of days later, the computer read out will tell you that a brake light is out when they are working fine.

Why? Because you didn't use a factory BMW bulb!
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,080

I once went with a friend to look at a 1940 Cadillac some nuns were selling. It was in a dark garage and it's sole light had a burned out bulb. They handed me a fresh bulb and in the process of fumbling around in the dark trying to find the light fixture I managed to jam my finger into the socket! Of course, the switch was in the on position!

I just had a mental picture of a cartoon version of you holding the light bulb in your free hand when that happened and having it light up while you were in electrical paralysis. :smile:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited April 2015
    Like a scene out of the Three Stooges!

I'm sure those nuns heard some words they hadn't heard before.

Let me tell you, it was a real attention getter. My buddy thought it was hilarious!
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    edited April 2015

fintail said:

On a BMW, if you replace a brake light bulb with one from NAPA, it'll work just fine but a couple of days later, the computer read out will tell you that a brake light is out when they are working fine.

Why? Because you didn't use a factory BMW bulb!
    I don't think Fin's computer is quite that sophisticated:

• gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,280

I would agree with everything you said except that it puzzles me as to why, with all this 'attachment" and fondness the owners of this crypt of decomposing corpses fail to convey the least bit of respect for the cars. Their actions suggest utter contempt for the vehicles, at least with the ones left to climate or rats. Some, I understand, are postponed restorations, and I'm okay with that.

Even garbage gets shelter from the rain.

I think that ultimately it's usually a case of life getting in the way of all the plans that you make. Always sure that you'll get to it 'soon' and then years go by
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    That's true enough, but it doesn't negate Shifty's original sentiment: "Their actions suggest utter contempt for the vehicles, at least with the ones left to climate or rats."

I'm definitely guilty of holding on to some vehicles far longer than I should, but I at least care for them and keep them in decent (if not good) running order. The Pinto is an exception there, but due only to its distant location. When I get to the point where I cannot or will not take care of them, it's time to let them go.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I think there's an abacus somewhere in the miles of piping of the MFI system. It might be in the solenoid that wore out last year - maybe a bead fell off.

I am sure some off brand bulbs can throw off a sensor in a German car (I don't think BMW makes their own). I know in some modern MBs, using certain types of washer fluid will set off that sensor.
    texases said:

I don't think Fin's computer is quite that sophisticated:

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

A co-worker has about 18 cars, stored on his property and two rented garages. Nothing super valuable, An older Infiniti, a 280Z, Cadillac Seville, etc. He is one who is "emotionally attached" he is single, and he has said they are like his kids. If something breaks, he doesn't like a mechanic to touch his cars, so it sits. Most haven't been started in years. He was selling one car, and didn't like the way the guy drove it on the test drive. No Sale.

Wow that's funny. If someone is selling a car, the goal is the actual sale and exchange of funds, not to screen through buyers to see who the best driver would be for it. Otherwise don't sell it.

About 8 years ago I owned a mint 77 Impala sedan I got from a co worker for pretty cheap. It was my 2nd car that I occasionally drove. I ended up putting it for sale because I didn't need it anymore. The car was like new and I thought whoever will buy it will keep it original. The guy who came to buy it said he was going to use it in a demolition derby. I was shocked but it wasn't my choice anymore what was going to happen to it.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

I've sold cars and seen them driving around looking pretty ratty, I don't like to see it, especially if its a vehicle I cared for, but yeah, you gotta let it go.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681

I've sold cars and seen them driving around looking pretty ratty, I don't like to see it, especially if its a vehicle I cared for, but yeah, you gotta let it go.

Funny, Lemko and I were talking about something along those lines just this weekend. I mentioned that I wouldn't mind, at some point, having a '71-76 era full-size GM 4-door hardtop, and Lemko brought up the '75 Sedan DeVille he once owned. He sold it to a friend of his father's, I believe, and the guy trashed it.

That was in 1993. Shame I didn't know Lemko back then, as I would have loved to have had something like that! That was the year I bought an '82 Cutlass Supreme coupe. It was a lovely shade of Jadestone, but I would've much rather had a big, hulking-, 4-door hardtop Caddy!

Heck, who knows, if that happened, I might even still have it. After all, I bought my '67 Catalina convertible just one year later, and it's still kicking.

I can see screening a buyer - if someone wanted to buy my fintail and give it to their ditzy 17 year old daughter, it would be "no sale". I was pleased when my W126 sold to a ~70 year old guy who had prior experience with a similar car.

Trading a car in can help too - you might get a little less for it, but you wash your hands of it, having no say in the next owner.
    edited April 2015
    The original owner of my Lark Daytona Skytop was interested in buying it back when he visited in 2010. He was retired and living in Arizona. He expressed interest in using it as a daily driver. At that point I had no intention of selling the car and threw out a high price, but I told him why I thought that wouldn't be a good idea. He said at the end of the visit that I was probably right. I do have a tinge of bad feeling for selling the car about nine months later, after the reality of that upcoming first college bill hit me, and someone approaching me about wanting the car and quite flatly accepting my first price, which was less than I had mentioned to the original owner. In all, I think it worked out OK for both of them, although I really do miss the car as we owned it 23 years and had it restored during my ownership and enjoyed gathering many NOS parts for it.
    Additionally, the current owner in Australia has improved the car mechanically, but it now has larger tires, front bumper guards that are one bolt in too close to each other, and a 'Super Lark' grille badge which the car shouldn't have if restored as original, and all those things bug me, but like you said, you gotta let it go!
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,280
    fintail said:

I can see screening a buyer - if someone wanted to buy my fintail and give it to their ditzy 17 year old daughter, it would be "no sale". I was pleased when my W126 sold to a ~70 year old guy who had prior experience with a similar car.

Trading a car in can help too - you might get a little less for it, but you wash your hands of it, having no say in the next owner.

Just traded in an 03 Altima that I owned since new. I hold onto my cars so hand't ever traded in a car before. I find myself wondering what's become of it. I've searched the local sites and haven't seen it listed anywhere. I wonder and hope that it funds a good home
    Saw this lot of Bugs this morning; few with any mechanical guts. Wonder how many similar lots are around.

edited April 2015
    Problem with Bug Junkyards is that you can buy just about any reproduction part you want, so why buy a door or fender that needs 10 hours of bodywork? Same is true for MGs and Mustangs. Very few people fish things out of wrecking yards anymore, unless it is some rare tidbit that nobody is reproducing at the moment.
    Any Nash lovers out there?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5002816103.html

This will take a brave soul with lots of money to spare!
    Growing up a friend had a Nash like that sitting in his driveway for years, it might have been a four door. His dad never got around to restoring it, he finally got rid of it.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    interesting. Money pit of course. But how many are there? Looks like 3 cars. In different places, and one has black sides (other 2 all primered).

I actually like the Yellow Chevy van in the background!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

You're better off buying one already done. I bet you could get this one for well under asking price:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4982346061.html

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    fintail said:

Fintail, I really like your car. I would love to see some interior, dashboard and underhood shots.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Hey thanks.

I don't have any recent shots, I might take the car out tomorrow and take a few pics.
    sda said:

Fintail, I really like your car. I would love to see some interior, dashboard and underhood shots.

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    edited May 2015
    I got my '79 5th Ave out today for its first drive of the year.
    1979 5th Ave gets its first taste of Spring...

It's amazing how much more muscular 150 hp sounds when you have no muffler. :p