Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Impala LTZ "starting disabled service throttle" "engine power reduced"

lauriebrownlauriebrown Member Posts: 2
edited June 2017 in Chevrolet
I own a 2007 Impala LTZ. Right before 100,000 miles, the car started shifting hard from first to second. I took it to the dealer, who told me there was nothing wrong with the car and they couldnt reproduce the problem. I called Chevrolet and asked if the warranty would cover the problem. They would have if the dealer could identify what was wrong. So, basically I ended up with a bill from the dealer and no help from Chevrolet. Now, three months later the car is really bad and is getting worse. The warranty has run out. I keep getting "starting disabled, service throttle" "engine power reduced" "service traction control" "low oil" , and those are just a few of the many, plus my engine light is back on. Less than six months ago we paid the dealer $997 for repairs, $400 just a few weeks ago to another mechanic to replace something to do with the throttle. Its still running awful, stalls, power is reduced all the time, and dangerous. Im furious because I tried to get it fixed before the warranty ran out. Now Im going to be stuck with a huge bill. Anyone have any ideas about what the problem might be? Any suggestions? We live near Syracuse NY and bought the car from Sun Chevrolet in Chittenango NY.

Comments

• ashleyemashleyem Member Posts: 1
    I've been having the same issue with my car I have a 2009 Impala LT, and starting the beginning of January 12" the sensors to "service traction control" and "engine power is reduced" have been coming on. I've been to 3 different shops including Chevy who told me that it had something to do with the brakes and a hub and low pressure cap, they charged me 1500.00 for all that. The sensors were still coming on. I went to another mechanic before who told me that I needed a new computer chip in my car and I had a voltage problem somewhere and a small leak. One day the indication to tighten my gas cap came on and all the sensors went off after that. Easter Sunday, the sensors came back on and went away again and now after just getting the car fixed again last Monday the sensors came back on, however this is the only time the car hasn't displayed the "starting disabled service throttle" message and shutoff on me. The dealer has told me I'm not under warranty anymore and I only have a power-train warranty but I was told there is nothing wrong with the electrical system, transmission or engine. No one seems to know what is wrong with my car either, including Chevrolet. I was told I had too many miles on there for me to file a suit because I feel the car is a lemon. Considering the fact that I purchased it in November of 2010. I'm looking for suggestions also, I live in Baltimore County, MD.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    lauriebrown,
    I see it's been a while since your original post here; have you made any progress towards resolving this? Please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com if we can answer any questions or look into this further.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    ashleyem,
    If we can look into this further with you, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, the name of your dealership and details on appointments with your dealership pertaining to this matter (date, how much was paid, etc).
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ats21ats21 Member Posts: 1
    I just start having the same problem first the check engine light start coming on they said it was and emmisions problem I had that fix the it start reading reduced engine power had it checked they said they didn't find anything now me check engine light comes on. Still saying reduced engine power and starting disabled service throttle it stalls then 5min later it start back up fine wtf. My impala is a 2008 only 50,000 miles on it and they still telling me they don't what's wrong wit it
    ats21,
    We're happy to follow up on you with this; please see the above message on how to contact us and what information we request be included to get started.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • raider31raider31 Member Posts: 1
    i just started having the same "service throttle" "engine power reduced" issue. I have been looking online and surprised on how many people are having the very same issue. I will need to get my car fixed asap and do not want to go thru the same money spending spree trying to figure out the problem. Has this been figured out? Can you give me some info on what is causing this so i can get it fixed the first time?

Thanks
  • nextwavesvcnextwavesvc Member Posts: 1
    I've just experienced the same issue, I got a reduced power error then service traction error it began idling and shifting rough and then roughly 15 miles driving the car - 2009 Impala - stalled and the error starting disabled service throttle came on. The cars milage is at 55695 and I've owned it since December of 2012. Please help.
  • newhavennewhaven Member Posts: 2
    Ive got the same problem w/2007 impala LT car suxxx trading it in on a Nissan
    GM sucks
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Please feel free to contact us via socialmedia@gm.com, nextwavesvc, and we'll check into this with you! Include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far.
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • max104max104 Member Posts: 4
    i have read so many people having issues with this,has anybody found the problem with this.
  • joel92fjoel92f Member Posts: 1
    I just had this happen today. Same error codes popped up on display....ended up being accelerator pedal assembly for $152.73. $35.00 to change it and $35.00 for diagnosis. Totals

LABOR: $70.00
    PARTS: $152.73
    SUB: $222.73
    TAX: $15.59
    TOTAL: $238.32

I tried being detailed.... I hope this helps
  • bigdaddy930bigdaddy930 Member Posts: 8
    I am looking for a 2013 Honda 4 door EX sedan with no add on. I live in the NYC area. I see many post here saying you can get a price for $2k less than dealer invoice. Is this realistics? I have been through many calls and email thru the local dealers and the lowest i have so far is $23,500 not including $790 destination tax and DMV doc fees. The dealer invoice for this model is $24,036. I am flexible in color.

Any suggestions how can I get a better deal? Wait till the end of this month ... etc? And what is the target price I should have for this model? I have no trade in or financing.

I think the 2014 and 2013 models are the same so I am ok with the 2013 model if this can save me $.
  • chitownbrookechitownbrooke Member Posts: 2

Hey lauriebrown,
    I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I was wondering if you ever got a resolution on this. My 2007 Impala just hit 102,000 miles and is having the same issue with shifting. I was hoping you might have some insight before I get hammered with repair bills to try to figure it out :(.

Thank you!

@lauriebrown said:
    I own a 2007 Impala LTZ. Right before 100,000 miles, the car started shifting hard from first to second. I took it to the dealer, who told me there was nothing wrong with the car and they couldnt reproduce the problem. I called Chevrolet and asked if the warranty would cover the problem. They would have if the dealer could identify what was wrong. So, basically I ended up with a bill from the dealer and no help from Chevrolet. Now, three months later the car is really bad and is getting worse. The warranty has run out. I keep getting "starting disabled, service throttle" "engine power reduced" "service traction control" "low oil" , and those are just a few of the many, plus my engine light is back on. Less than six months ago we paid the dealer $997 for repairs, $400 just a few weeks ago to another mechanic to replace something to do with the throttle. Its still running awful, stalls, power is reduced all the time, and dangerous. Im furious because I tried to get it fixed before the warranty ran out. Now Im going to be stuck with a huge bill. Anyone have any ideas about what the problem might be? Any suggestions? We live near Syracuse NY and bought the car from Sun Chevrolet in Chittenango NY.

• a_ra_r Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2007 impala LT 104,800 miles same issue took it to 2 shops they can't figure it out. Midas said it was spark plugs and wires the throttle body needed cleaned and needs EVAP canister. Did all of that same problem. The 2nd shop does not know what is causing the issue I am the original owner of this car and I can say that this car has given me more trouble than any car I have owned previously. And those have been older with many more miles. I contacted GM as suggested above and I'm still waiting for a reply.
    Here is what I got from GM:

[THREAD ID:1-LG1OE2]

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your concerns. We're very sorry to hear that you've experienced these issues with your Impala, and we understand the importance of having this resolved. I have researched your VIN and at this time there are no service announcements listed describing the issues you have experienced. Since I am not technically trained, we do rely on the dealerships as our eyes and ears in the field, and trust them to diagnose and repair any present vehicle issues. I understand that you've been working with a mechanic at Midas, but they have been unable to isolate the cause of your concerns. If you are interested in visiting a Chevrolet certified dealership to have your vehicle inspected, we would be more than happy to assist during this process. Since you are outside of your vehicle warranty, you will be responsible for paying the diagnostic fee. Please send us the name of your preferred GM dealership if you would like for us to reach out to them on your behalf.

Regards,

GM Customer Care
  • rickyliciousrickylicious Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Impala LT with 106,000 miles and have gotten these messages in the past, but today was the first day I lost total power and control of accelerator use. I have had the evap canister replaced 3 times since I bought the car in 2009. I have read several forums regarding the "Engine Power Reduced" and several GM requests suggeting we take our cars a Certified dealership. But every single person says the dealership can't find anything. Yet is more than happy to replace some parts and charge a fortune to do so. The only way to resolve these issues is through each other in these forums. I will buy my partsm RockAuto.com and replace the parts. Looks like the gas pedal assembly is next on my list to buy and replace. GM has had these issues for years, and would you think they'd find an answer to help us out...nope. but will take our money with no problem. I'm going foreign for my next car after being a GM owner my whole life.
    Im still waiting for my appointment with the dealership. They won't guarantee anything I asked the social media rep if they can at least guarantee that they will fix it right the first time and she gave me a line from their book.

I feel with that recent ignition related recall they are trying to avoid more bad press and of course money loss. The ignition issue took 13 deaths before they would even step up and apologize. This situation is also dangerous... and expensive.

Do a search on this Edmunds site and see how many threads are connected to this same issue from Chevrolet across many models and several years with different mileage. There are other sites with people having the same issue: yahoo, Chevy forum, traverse forum and fixya to name a few. Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem?

We need to make more noise and get their attention. They littered American highways with junk cars and left their customers with a bad product for which they take no responsibility I do not see how such a poorly operated company can survive much longer.
  • impalajunkimpalajunk Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    I have an 2009 Impala LT. The Chevy Impala is JUNK and I will never buy another Chevy product again. EVER!!!

My wife and I previously had a Chevy HHR and it was JUNK TOO!!!!The engine malfunctioned and it was going to cost us $5000 to have the engine replaced. We traded it in on another car and took a beating because the HHR wasn't worth anything.

My Impala has the same messages on the dashboard as everyone else. SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, STARTING DISABLED. SERVICE THROTTLE, ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED. I took it to my certified dealer recently. They said it need the fuel injectors cleaned ($450 price).

If you are considering buying ANY Chevy product.... DONT! IF YOU DO, YOU WILL BE SORRY.

Should you have questions about how worthless Chevy products are, call me. [Phone number removed].
  • elove1004elove1004 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 chevy impala I'm having the same problems with yesterday the car disabled on me in the middle of the highway I was terrified! First the service traction control light popped on followed by reducing engine speed, and then disabling engine throttle. It wouldn't start up right away about sitting on the shoulder for 5 minutes it started right up and I made it home safely, I work out of town, I need to feel safe in my vehicle!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    elove1004 said:

I have a 2010 chevy impala I'm having the same problems with yesterday the car disabled on me in the middle of the highway I was terrified! First the service traction control light popped on followed by reducing engine speed, and then disabling engine throttle. It wouldn't start up right away about sitting on the shoulder for 5 minutes it started right up and I made it home safely, I work out of town, I need to feel safe in my vehicle!

Hello Elove1004,

We truly apologize for this, and understand how unsettling this may seem. We would be happy to provide any additional assistance. Feel free to send us an e-mail at socialmedia@gm.com along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. We look forward to your response.

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care

• chbattischbattis Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Chevy Impala. I am amazed at the amount of customers with the same EXACT issues as me. My Sensors for the service stable track, traction control and brake assist have been on for well over a year now. My car has always driven fine until yesterday when driving at 55mph my throttle started to disable which put me on the side of the road, because I lost all power. I shut my car off, put on my 4-ways, and I attempted to turn it back on but it wouldn't roll over. After a few minutes it did roll over and start and drove completely fine.
    I find it absolutely appauling that regardless of the many consumers who have reached out and complained of the same issue, that GM has only issued a recall on police model impala's. I can tell ya, having people blow there horn at me while I'm in the process of trying to get off the road is quite scary. I'm in the process of making a Facebook post to be shared and hopefully if enough people complain, or if we find that people have died because of GM's negligence then maybe something can be done. If anyone knows yet what is causing this problem please let me know before I dump thousands into finding out what's wrong. My car is at 97,000 miles, I only run synthetic oil, and keep good tires and routine maintanance on it.
    This problem was caused by the throttle body. I got a new one from autozone.com for $115 this can be changed easily by yourself. Or by someone you know who has even slight auto repair experience. 
    Don't let GM squeeze you if you can avoid it. After the throttle body issue was solved I had to change the junk factory battery cable connections. Now the intermediate steering shaft is making noise again when turning, I had to change it the first time at 25k miles. Also the transmission is now slipping it is not normal to have this much trouble with a vehicle don't be fooled by GM anyone reading these threads do not buy GM I have friends with new GM vehicles that are not happy with the amount of trouble they are having. Stay away from this junk company best hope is that ford, dodge or Toyota will buy them out and save the jobs of their employees. These types of problems come from poor leadership.
  • oneangryowneroneangryowner Member Posts: 1
    So I'm notthe only one! Has anyone had any luck fixing this problem with Impala (2011) stabilizer & cutting engine power yet? Almost caused a BAD accident today while driving in perfect weather 65 mph & it cut power- Scared the you know what out of me- on the interstate no less. Slightly over 100k miles so of course no warranty & I can't afford to replace all kinds of parts that won't fix the problem. I will never buy GM again!
  • impalaprobl3msimpalaprobl3ms Member Posts: 1
    I've been having the same problems for a year now... "service traction control", " reduced engine power", "starting disabled service throttle"... I've fixed the solenoid coil,  throttle bottle,  traction control,  amongst other things... it never stays fixed. Last night i received the "starting disabled,  service throttle" and i lost all power to the car... this happened while i was crossing a bridge. I'm lucky no one hit me,  because i was stuck on the bridge for about 10 minutes and my car wouldn't start. I'm really scared to drive this car.  Never again will I buy a Chevy. If this many people are having the same problem,  shouldn't they have figured out what's causing it? I guess it hasn't killed enough people to warrant concern yet. 
  • Bouncenavy1979Bouncenavy1979 Member Posts: 1

I have the same issues 2007 chevy impala LT engine power reduced and then starter throttle disabled and car cuts off. Has anyone finally figured it out. I done spent nearly 1500.00 the past 2 weeks fixing things I'm starting to doubt even needed fixed since the exact same issue is occurring. Any and all help is appreciated