Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    edited August 2015
    qbrozen said:

So I posted my info to a handful of websites regarding the Fit. Got lots of online offers that were ridiculously low and a huge range from other places. Autolenders has been harassing me nonstop every day since, so I ran over there today, knowing I was probably wasting my time. And I was. Granted, they were $1k above carmax, but still too low for my liking.

I've now posted it on craigs and ebay to see what happens. I've advertised it for only about $1500 above Manheim value, so it should technically be a better deal than any dealer is going to offer; however, it isn't all that much lower than you could buy a new one for. That does seem to be the Honda way, though. But, hey, I'm negotiable.

Sorry Q but I haven't been paying attention, which of your fleet are you selling? Could we persuade you to post your CL add?

EDIT: Never mind, I read down and saw you're selling the Fit. Still like to see your ad. When I put the Eclipse on CL last fall for $10.9k I got crickets.

Speaking of selling cars I have the Barrett-Jaction auction on right now and they just sold a reproduction 1930 Ford coupe hot rod for $33,000.

They said it was built on a late model Mustang 5.0.

My question is why would you trash a Mustang GT just to create another car only worth about the same amount?

Ooh ooh they just sold a blue 1967 427 Corvette for $197,000.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

This and that....Q, I've always found that Hondas and Acuras hold their value so well that I've often wondered how the used market on a model really would be appealing in that 2 MY old range? Hard to see a dealer making much on used Honda/Acura products given a new one doesn't cost all that much more than a year old used one.

Pre-paid service....if you plan on keeping a premium car for long, I think it can be a good deal. But, if you swap like most of us do in this forum, it might not be that good of a deal. Keep the car for the term of the service contract? Yeah.....go for it. That said, I've got a good independent mechanic who is probably better than 95% of the dealer service techs, even for premium brands. He even keeps all my service records for me in case I need them if the car's service comes into question. If my service isn't included, I'm taking my car to him.

I just popped for a Samsung 4K TV. Really nice pic. Went to Best Buy/Magnolia and they indeed were willing to price match on any ADVERTISED price of any reputable online retailer (i.e. Amazon). HH Gregg, where I actually bought the TV got around this by advertising the same TV at the same price at BB/Magnolia. But, they had instore coupons that beat the BB price. BB would not match because it wasn't HH Gregg's ADVERTISED price.

More bad news on the Caddy....nice day in the OHIO Valley today. Got up early. Went to my local park and walked for 3 miles. On the way home, I stopped at Starbucks drivethough for a Venti Coffee. Pulling out of their parking lot, the CTS stalled, I cranked it. No start. Cranked it again. No start. People behind me starting to honk. Enough is enough. Have some extra time on my hands today. Called their roadside assistance, who showed up surprisingly in about 15 minutes to tow my car to the same place that can't/won't fix the other issues. Road with the tow driver to the dealership. Service writer was very apologetic.

He immediately wrote up the ticket (I did take a phone pic of the dash lit up like a Christmas tree). He put me into an XTS with ~200 miles to drive around. He said he doubted they'd get to it today as they aren't open late. But, they'd take a look at it on Monday.

BTW...the XTS is a big car, and it drives big. Handles pretty well for its size. Then again, I'm not pushing it in any way, shape or form.

Never ending saga.

Seeing what they've put you through I would take that loner to the track and drive it like I stole it!

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

Been here 4 hours now. They came out to tell me it is the HID computer. Hmmm... yet another part that has to be ordered and I have to come back a 4th time. SIGH

Why would you need a computer for a headlight? :o

mako1a said:

My 2 cents. GG, keep the XTS until they settle and do a buyback. I wouldn't even open the door on that CTS ever again.
    Roadburner, I'd rather you didn't buy a Mustang GT. You seem to have this european motocross mindset going and that is NOT what the GT does well. It does straight line light to light real well. You are more of a sharp turn on hugger tires type. Maybe a Boss Mustang, but not a GT.

Maybe the turbo 4 with the performance package. They say it handles better.

I know lots of people here have cars with fancy wheels and some do their own detailing.

I have wheels that have a recess around the exposed lug nuts. Does anyone have a
    recommendation of a good lug nut brush to wash the brake dust and dirt out of
    the recess? Cheapness is not the main consideration: I want
    one that will work nicely and last.

Toothbrush?

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347

I know lots of people here have cars with fancy wheels and some do their own detailing.

I have wheels that have a recess around the exposed lug nuts. Does anyone have a

I use these.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

Talk about service. I went in this morning for my 12k mile service including oil change. I prepaid, $1200 for all the servicing. Drove in at 8 a.m., read my newspaper, sat in a few diffewrent models, watched the sports hilights, had a coffee.

Service guy came to get me at 10 a.m. Told me the car was in beautiful condition and it all checked out nicely. My car was washed, interior vacuumed, windows cleaned, tires black. Drove extra nicely when it was all sparkly cleaned. With prepay plan .........cost $0!

Cost $0? I think not, you paid for it just that you paid for it earlier.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

driver100 said:

What exactly are the reasons you didn't like driving the Explorer.

It's big and heavy- and feels it. Woolly steering and brakes; just dull and uninvolving to drive. I know it's not supposed to be a sports car, but other companies can make CUVs and SUVs that are fun to drive, so there's no way I'd consider one.
    I was hoping Ford had progressed over the years. Even when I drove taxis in the early 60s the Fords were always slow and plodding. Chryslers had lighter nimbler steering. GM was in the middle. You'd think with all the latest technology Ford could make their larger cars with better handling.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:

Talk about service. I went in this morning for my 12k mile service including oil change. I prepaid, $1200 for all the servicing. Drove in at 8 a.m., read my newspaper, sat in a few diffewrent models, watched the sports hilights, had a coffee.

Service guy came to get me at 10 a.m. Told me the car was in beautiful condition and it all checked out nicely. My car was washed, interior vacuumed, windows cleaned, tires black. Drove extra nicely when it was all sparkly cleaned. With prepay plan .........cost $0!

Cost $0? I think not, you paid for it just that you paid for it earlier.

You could say that about any warranty item that is fixed during the warranty period...you paid for it when you bought the item.

• nelsonfnelsonf Member Posts: 104

This looks good: http://www.autogeek.net/wheel-lug-nut-brush.html

They used to have a brush that would attach to a cordless drill, but I don't see it there anymore.

Currently own: 2017 BMW M4, 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited August 2015
    I like the simple foam paint brush. Use it once and throw it away if it is torn or dry it an reuse it.
    Cheap package of 20.

I hadn't seen the AutoGeek lug nut cleaning items. Those look well engineered. I had seen
    some from Griot's garage and other expensive places for detail supplies.

Thanks for both. I'll try the foam brush and probably order the AutoGeek item
    if the cheap foam brushes don't suit me.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    edited August 2015
    No, that's not the same as a warranty ( which admittedly does have a cost). You paid for service in advance. It doesn't save you a cent and indeed gives the dealer the float on the money.

Now as long as that floats your boat and is within your budget, both of which look to be true, enjoy.

I've been in Philly showing the kids around for a couple of days. Rode the Ducks and took in the Franklin Institute and Independence Hall. Probably take in the NJ aquarium on the trip back. The girls asked which car we said the Miata. Ended up in the 5.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Did you see the Lego exhibit? That was pretty amazing.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The 2016 Hyundai Tucson is here so I went to do a look see. The dealership had only one black unit still in its shipping wrappings available, an Eco 1.6 turbo 175-hp model. It looks huge at 176" long and 72" wide and the interior was all hard plastics with a 5-inch screen.

I was looking for something more upscale so I will have to wait and see if the Limited trim is up to its $30k + price tag. What was surprising is that there was no pressure, no salesman rushing to the door to greet you, in fact there were no customers, although I could see what appeared to be salespeople in the back room. I wasn't sure if I was being ignored I had to ask the receptionist for help.

Since I've never been to a Hyundai dealership before I was wondering, is this one of those no pressure dealerships or did they viewed me as "be back" customer?
    edited August 2015
    fezo said:

No, that's not the same as a warranty ( which admittedly does have a cost). You paid for service in advance. It doesn't save you a cent and indeed gives the dealer the float on the money.

Now as long as that floats your boat and is within your budget, both of which look to be true, enjoy.

I've been in Philly showing the kids around for a couple of days. Rode the Ducks and took in the Franklin Institute and Independence Hall. Probably take in the NJ aquarium on the trip back. The girls asked which car we said the Miata. Ended up in the 5.

Enjoy Philly.

About paying for service up front, I do save a cent, in fact quite a few because if you buy the package beforehand the cost is much lower than paying for each service individually....actually would save $100s.

And, what's different about getting a warranty with a product? You pay in advance for that extra protection too. If manufacturers didn't give you a warranty they could reduce the price.

One is service, one is cost of parts + service....both come at a cost, both are a form of insurance.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    driver100 said:
    No, that's not the same as a warranty ( which admittedly does have a cost). You paid for service in advance. It doesn't save you a cent and indeed gives the dealer the float on the money. Now as long as that floats your boat and is within your budget, both of which look to be true, enjoy. I've been in Philly showing the kids around for a couple of days. Rode the Ducks and took in the Franklin Institute and Independence Hall. Probably take in the NJ aquarium on the trip back. The girls asked which car we said the Miata. Ended up in the 5.
    Enjoy Philly. About paying for service up front, I do save a cent, in fact quite a few because if you buy the package beforehand the cost is much lower than paying for each service individually....actually would save $100s. And, what's different about getting a warranty with a product? You pay in advance for that extra protection too. If manufacturers didn't give you a warranty they could reduce the price. One is service, one is cost of parts + service....both come at a cost, both are a form of insurance.
    Actually, you save $200+ dollars over the period of 3 years (2-A Services and 1-B Service).  I'm not due for my first service until December 1st or thereabouts, but it will be a "no cost" service since I received a service voucher for my first A Service.

If I kept my cars longer, which I am beginning to do, I would definitely include the pre-paid service.  My current car is going to be 18 months old when I trade for the 2017 E Class.  In my negotiations, I will include throwing in a 3-year maintenance package.

2021 Genesis G90

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    OF - Well, just be warned that I didn't work hard on the ad since it is essentially a new car and I feel that requires far less explanation. cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5162131866.html
    And why does a headlight need a computer? Because everything these days needs to be as complicated as possible.

GG - Of course I have no way of knowing, but it is kind of striking me as some sort of ignition/security issue.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,079
    Computerized headlights. I guess we have become spoiled with automatic headlights. I don't think I have had to turn headlights on in a dozen years. I remember when I first got my '02 Intrigue, pulling into an underground garage one day and being shocked when the headlights turned themselves on. Good feature actually. Does that mean they are computerized? Perhaps.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

qbrozen said:

OF - Well, just be warned that I didn't work hard on the ad since it is essentially a new car and I feel that requires far less explanation. cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5162131866.html
    And why does a headlight need a computer? Because everything these days needs to be as complicated as possible.

GG - Of course I have no way of knowing, but it is kind of striking me as some sort of ignition/security issue.

Nice ad, good pictures and bonus points for not putting your thumb over the license plate in the picture. Never understood that unless the seller was in Witness Protection.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited August 2015
    Mako...we'll see what happens next. I'm still suing them for a buyback. This just gives me more motivation to stay the course.

Cadillac sure hasn't done anything that would positively affect their steep sales descent.

XTS.....not sure which audience the car is targeted to. It isn't particularly fast. No torque steer, but that could be because the trans gearing won't allow much in the way of quick throttel tip in. It does handle well but you're constantly aware of the size of the car. It does smooth out all bumps better than anything I've ever driven, though.

OF....the CTS Perf is faster, brakes bettet, is much lighter on its feet, as such handles much better than the XTS. But, the XTS does coddle you. Not much gets into the cabin, be it rough road, semis passing, tire roar....very little. Surprisingly, the seats are the same as in the CTS, which have good bolstering.

Q...I made the suggestion that they might want to look at some interuption of the signal from the key fob to the computer. To my knowledge, they won't consider my suggestion.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    qbrozen said:

Nice looking car. I like the black wheels on it too, makes it look like a mean machine.

That headlight/computer glitch is frustrating. I heard on the radio Chrysler has known for sometime now that someone could hack into the computers in their cars......and they can control the brakes etc. And, this after a heavy fine for not following up on recall notices.

driver100 said:

You could say that about any warranty item that is fixed during the warranty period...you paid for it when you bought the item.

Not quite the same, warranty work is part of the cost of producing he product. A manufacturer will determine that the average cost of supporting the warranty is $X dollars per unit. Such costs may be absorbed by the manufacturer or may be passed on to consumers or (most likely) be a combination of the two depending on multiple variables. Either way it is buried in the cost (either the cost of doing business or the cost of the product or both).

With prepaid service that is an extra cost, a cost of ownership, that is paid in advance. This gives the service provider an interest free loan. So unless you get a discount on the cost of the service you are actually paying more for prepaid service contracts.

driver100 said:

That headlight/computer glitch is frustrating. I heard on the radio Chrysler has known for sometime now that someone could hack into the computers in their cars......and they can control the brakes etc. And, this after a heavy fine for not following up on recall notices.

That is one thing I can never understand, how can you hack into a cars computer unless you are physically attached to the car? That is unless you have a car that has some sort of internet connection (like 4G service) or you can connect to it by wifi, but other than that you would have to plug your computer into the car to hack it.

On an unrelated note, I was out biking yesterday and I was almost taken out by a Buick.

Well it wasn't exactly a Buick, it was turtle sitting in the middle of the path but it was as big as a Buick. I came around a corner and there it was taking up much of the bike path. I would have expected something that big to be flying over Tokyo battling Godzilla. It was the biggest turtle I have seen in these parts ever and (s)he just sat there looking at me as I barley missed him (her?).

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited August 2015

With prepaid service that is an extra cost, a cost of ownership, that is paid in advance. This gives the service provider an interest free loan. So unless you get a discount on the cost of the service you are actually paying more for prepaid service contracts.

They usually sell them with a claim of a discount, but the price reference point is often questionnable. As with everything, one has to know real numbers to make an informed judgment about the value. Then there is a question of a refund of the remaining value in case the vehicle is totaled, or for any other reason of cancellation. They could use a schedule that favors them rather than the customer, i.e. frontload the value and say the discount is on the last year of the contracted services, so you get next to nothing. So just like everything, details matter.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2015

A manufacturer will determine that the average cost of supporting the warranty is $X dollars per unit.

Not only that, they'll "set aside" that money. In theory, if you know how much the set aside is, you can make some assumptions about how reliable their vehicles are. But it's a dark science and all the recalls are clouding the equations. For example, "Honda is now setting aside more per car sold than General Motors Co., and almost as much as Toyota Motor Corp.".

Honda's Warranty Expenses (warrantyweek.com)
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

driver100 said:

That is one thing I can never understand, how can you hack into a cars computer unless you are physically attached to the car? That is unless you have a car that has some sort of internet connection (like 4G service) or you can connect to it by wifi, but other than that you would have to plug your computer into the car to hack it.
    The Chryslers that are being hacked into are the ones connected to the internet via UConnect which if FMC's interactivity/telematics system. Others out there that may be susceptible to hacking include:

GM - OnStar
    MB - MBrace
    Audi - Audi Connect
    BMW - Car Hotspot LTE (EU only)
    Hey, it just occurred to me...

On my recent purchase the dealer's F&I office didn't try to sell me ANYTHING! :o

No extended warranty, no mop & glo, no service plans....nothing.

The only thing remotely like an upsell was when the salesman asked me to sign a statement refusing Gap insurance. He acted like he assumed I wouldn't want it (why would I, with a $9k trade it will hard to get upside down).

Maybe all the sales lingo I used made them think I was in the business and trying to load the back end wouldn't work.

driver100 said:

Not quite the same, warranty work is part of the cost of producing he product. A manufacturer will determine that the average cost of supporting the warranty is $X dollars per unit. Such costs may be absorbed by the manufacturer or may be passed on to consumers or (most likely) be a combination of the two depending on multiple variables. Either way it is buried in the cost (either the cost of doing business or the cost of the product or both).

Well, that is making a very fine distinction. The car company isn't that interested in using my money for 4 years and collecting interest on it. They want me to buy the service program so I will bring my car back to them. Helps them pay for their service area, gets me to buy more items in their shop - maybe even use the spa, I might see a car I like for my wife, I will get used to bringing my car to them for service and to buy parts etc.

I doubt it was intended as a revenue generator. More companies will be doing it...for Audi it is a new concept...and I believe it was a dealer program - not Audi Head Office. You get a discount if you buy the package because it will bring you back to the dealership, and not go to an indie garage. American car companies will follow because service is where the money is these days.

btw...in the case of BMW the extended service is not optional, it is part of the deal....so it is simialr to a warranty in that the cost is built into the purchase price.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    driver100 said:

Well, that is making a very fine distinction. The car company isn't that interested in using my money for 4 years and collecting interest on it. They want me to buy the service program so I will bring my car back to them.

I doubt it was intended as a revenue generator. More companies will be doing it...for Audi it is a new concept...and I believe it was a dealer program - not Audi Head Office. You get a discount if you buy the package because it will bring you back to the dealership, and not go to an indie garage. American car companies will follow because service is where the money is these days.

I hate to pop your bubble, but it absolutely is about revenue generation. Moreover, if you can generate revenue today, not tomorrow, even at discount, better for your financial statement and bonus. BTW, every dealer I know is selling service contracts, but you may be right, many of those may be dealer's.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I bought the 20K and 30K service and the wife did something similar on her Audi A3...her vehicle has been absolutely flawless!! My Golf has had a few small issues but the one dealing with the rims wasn't anyone's fault, the tech put on the 16" replacement ones by mistake though it did take a few visits plus their tire guy to see the issue and have it resolved. The faulty starter wire was resolved on one visit and now, they've finally fixed the lumbar support handle. The vehicle is hardly an issue prone vehicle, on the contrary, it's a blast to drive and I actually really love it!
    A bit pissed that they waited till the '16 model year to include a usb port and change the sound systems...as a new model for 2015, feel this should have been done already and that they should really retro fit 2015 owners on these two things. But that's my one and only issue here with a great vehicle!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

No. Legos. That comes extra and we had all we could do as it was/ However we joined as members which means we have a year to go again and make it profitable. If we miss the Legos there will be something else. I still regret years ago missing the virtual bobsled.

Took the 5. Great vehicle. Just parked it for three days. Today when we went to the aquarium got a nice parking spot with a guy waving us in - in another 5. Now I don't think I've seen 10 of these since I bought it so that was something of a surprise. It was from the Bronx and kind of looked it. Will have to have it in for its first service. $60 for a synthetic oil change. For me this works.

It's a funny car - not a smart car with rear view camera and such nut a reasonably intelligent car with a few quirks. It lights up hello when you turn it on and goodbye when you turn it off, beeps if you're backing into something and cannot remember a bluetooth device for even a couple of seconds. If you turn the key to accessory it's fine but when you then turn it back on it has to find the device. Only takes a few seconds, but come on. Insanely comfy for the 90 minute or so trip each way and drives like a Mazda. Averages about 26 mpg mixed driving.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    edited August 2015
    I'm watching some "Top Gear" like show and three guys are competing with each other driving a Hellcat, a stock Mustang GT (with all season tires) and a Camaro Z-28. They took them to Watkins Glen and timed laps. Surprisingly, the stock Mustang came in second to the track ready 606hp Camaro and beat the 707hp Hellcat's time. Way to go Mustang.

To be fair, the Mustang was driven by an experienced driver and the Hellcat driver was just a regular dude. Kind of like me racing roadburner.

Oh and if you want a Hellcat, I just heard that there's a 2 year wait. People who get one are selling them at auction for over $100,000.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    In case you haven't heard, "Mazda is pulling the Mazda 5 minivan from the U.S. market for the 2016 model year." (link)
    I knew that but missed the part that they are abandoning that section of the market, though TBT they are a market segment of one vehicle.

We went to the mint, too. I was hoping for take out but they were having none of that. Enough quarters and I could really upgrade.
    dino001 said:

driver100 said:

Well, that is making a very fine distinction. The car company isn't that interested in using my money for 4 years and collecting interest on it. They want me to buy the service program so I will bring my car back to them.

I hate to pop your bubble, but it absolutely is about revenue generation. Moreover, if you can generate revenue today, not tomorrow, even at discount, better for your financial statement and bonus. BTW, every dealer I know is selling service contracts, but you may be right, many of those may be dealer's.
    I get all that, but to me it is a half glass half empty kind of issue. As an old muffler ad that used to be on said, You can pay me now....or you can pay me later. I am a bank and credit card company's worst nightmare. I don't like to pay interest if at all possible. I enjoy life more knowing I have prepaid my oil changes and that I won't get any surprises down the road. Chances are I will pay less than I would have if I paid separately.

It is like my Coffee card. I load it up with $20. I know Tim Hortons Coffee Shops (like Dunkin in the U.S.) has my $20 and $20 from millions of people to use as they wish, but, I like not having to remember to bring cash or change with me after a game of tennis. They swipe the card and it is easier on me.

You can say they are making more money off me and they are...and they get their money in advance....but, the $20 that is tied up won't affect my life too much, and the fact it simplifies my life is well worth the cost.

The same scenario for gift cards................but, I am not going to stop buying them because I might be getting ripped off. The extra cost is worth it to me and if corporations can make more good for them.

robr2 said:

driver100 said:

The Chryslers that are being hacked into are the ones connected to the internet via UConnect which if FMC's interactivity/telematics system. Others out there that may be susceptible to hacking include:

GM - OnStar
    MB - MBrace
    Audi - Audi Connect
    BMW - Car Hotspot LTE (EU only)</blockquote

I do not have the Mbrace features such as internet, etc. I only purchased the basic program which does not provide those additional services. I have a mobile phone that I can use for internet surfing, emails, etc. Why pay Mbrace or OnStar X dollars a month or year to use their apps?

2021 Genesis G90

Just got back from the Apple Store in Boca Raton. I was on the phone with Apple Care for over 4 hours this afternoon trying to get my iPhone to stop showing a royal blue screen, then shutting itself down and shutting itself off for hours. They said it was a known "motherboard" issue with some of the iPhone 6's. So they sent me to the Store in Boca and after waiting there for 2 hours, someone finally came and replaced the phone with a new one. This is the "3rd" iPhone 6 I have had since November, 2014. The first one stopped taking a charge so they had to replace that. That replacement phone was a total failure starting the day before yesterday when that started and then this afternoon when I couldn't get it to stop turning itself on and off.

I like Apple Products, but this iPhone 6 has caused me grief, to say the least. 3 phones in 9 months - that's pushing it to the limit (my nerves that is)!

2021 Genesis G90

edited August 2015
    The shopping mall was jammed like it was Christmas! I had trouble finding a parking space. I have never seen it like that before except at Christmas-time. When I got to the Apple Store, I asked why the mall was so jammed. I forgot, the next 7 days are "Sales Tax Free" days here in the Stare of Florida if you purchase any back to school items such as clothing, backpacks, computers, cell phones, iPads, etc. The first $750 is tax free.

Macy's, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom's, Saks Fifth Avenue and even Sears were jammed with shoppers. I guess saving 6.5% on any item up to $750 (computer hardware, etc.) is worth the dealing with mobs of people.

I couldn't wait to get out of there - masses and masses of people everywhere.

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:

dino001 said:

driver100 said:

I get all that, but to me it is a half glass half empty kind of issue. As an old muffler ad that used to be on said, You can pay me now....or you can pay me later. I am a bank and credit card company's worst nightmare. I don't like to pay interest if at all possible. I enjoy life more knowing I have prepaid my oil changes and that I won't get any surprises down the road. Chances are I will pay less than I would have if I paid separately.

It is like my Coffee card. I load it up with $20. I know Tim Hortons Coffee Shops (like Dunkin in the U.S.) has my $20 and $20 from millions of people to use as they wish, but, I like not having to remember to bring cash or change with me after a game of tennis. They swipe the card and it is easier on me.

You can say they are making more money off me and they are...and they get their money in advance....but, the $20 that is tied up won't affect my life too much, and the fact it simplifies my life is well worth the cost.

The same scenario for gift cards................but, I am not going to stop buying them because I might be getting ripped off. The extra cost is worth it to me and if corporations can make more good for them.

You can carry a debit card instead of the Timmy's card....but I know you'll say you feel safer losing a $20 card vs. a debit card.

I will say driver - you have a way of rationalizing anything....
    robr2 said:

driver100 said:

dino001 said:

driver100 said:

You can carry a debit card instead of the Timmy's card....but I know you'll say you feel safer losing a $20 card vs. a debit card.

I will say driver - you have a way of rationalizing anything....
    I don't want to put a $1.50 coffee purchase on a debit card....but, that's just me. That is why some people use debit cards and some use Timmy Cards. We all probably rationalize what we do, that's why we do it.

@robr2 said:

"I will say driver - you have a way of rationalizing anything...."

This is a true statement, robr2!  The fact is, in this case only, prepaying for service through MBUSA saves the consumer about $50 per service.  So driver's rationalization is sound - but only in this case.  

Now if he could purchase a "coffee card" for $25.00 that provided him with $30.00 worth of cups of coffee, then that makes sense.  But when you can use a credit card or debit card to pay for your coffee, and the "coffee card" provides no other incentive to pre-pay for your coffee, then it makes no sense to me (and most people) to pre-pay for your coffee.

This is where driver "shines" in his unique rationalizations.  But we all know how driver "thinks" and thus his rationalizations are always "expected"!  No surprises with driver - he just has a different way of looking at things.  Right, robr2?

2021 Genesis G90

Well you do get rewards on a Starbucks card. 
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,079
    I think you fellows are being too hard on Driver. The culture of Tim's up here in Canada is strong and well-entrenched. For years they only accepted cash as payment - no debit cards, no credit cards. When the Tims card was introduced it was their first foray into non-cash payments and was embraced up here, because sometimes you don't have a pocketful of change (remember our smallest bill is the $5 bill since we use coins for $1 and $2) or don't want to break a $20 or a $50 for a $2 purchase. So it caught on and was very popular. Lots of people still use them.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

That's right Mike - we can all find reasons for what we do.

For instance, my wife rolls her eyes when I use Apple Pay for a gallon of milk at the local grocery store. It's only $4.00 but I get 10X the points for using Apple Way on my Citicard. Hence, I pull out my phone and use that. Besides, I hardly ever carry cash anymore.
    ab348 said:
    I think you fellows are being too hard on Driver. The culture of Tim's up here in Canada is strong and well-entrenched. For years they only accepted cash as payment - no debit cards, no credit cards. When the Tims card was introduced it was their first foray into non-cash payments and was embraced up here, because sometimes you don't have a pocketful of change (remember our smallest bill is the $5 bill since we use coins for $1 and $2) or don't want to break a $20 or a $50 for a $2 purchase. So it caught on and was very popular. Lots of people still use them.
    If the coffee shop driver frequents only accepts Tims cards or cash, then I agree that the Tims card is appropriate for the purpose of convenience.  But if they accept credit or debit cards, the Tims card becomes a prepaid number coffee cups.

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    Nice thing about the new Jetta. VW comps the 1st service (10K or 1 year), and to sweeten the deal (even though they already accepted my lowball offer!) they threw in the 2nd and 3rd years. works out well with the lease, since it means that we don't have to pay a dime for it until it goes back.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Really nice. Buick has 2 years free maintenance. Honda I have to pay but I do get a free loaner at least. 
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    speaking of details, I took the RDX in on thursday to a local detail place. I had a gift certificate from Christmas, and finally used it after our annual week at the beach (all that sand and salt!).

anyway, got it back, and it is cleaner than new in and out. Odd though, I almost slipped out of it because they even polished the all-weather mats. Wife wants to know how they got the windows so clean and streak free in and out. Even got the wheels (the inside part) spotless.

best of all, they cleaned up the touch up paint mess I made trying to fix the scratch my wife put in it. looks much better. not sure what it cost (I'm guessing in the $75 range) but well worth it on occasion. I may do it every couple of years as a "refreshing" to keep it nice.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited August 2015
    abacomike said:

ab348 said:

If the coffee shop driver frequents only accepts Tims cards or cash, then I agree that the Tims card is appropriate for the purpose of convenience.  But if they accept credit or debit cards, the Tims card becomes a prepaid number coffee cups.

What is shocking to me is that you can get a cup of coffee in Canada for 2 bucks ! Judging by their car prices I figured at least $5.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460