Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Ford Escape mileage and longevity

picklespoonpicklespoon Member Posts: 2
edited May 2017 in Ford
I've got a 2001 Ford Escape, which I love. It just turned over 100,000. I'd like to hang on to the car for another two years. But I haven't found any reliable information about what the average "life expectancy" (or should that be "mileage expectancy"?) for my this model year.

So, if you've got a Ford Escape, please share your model year and current mileage. Thanks!

See Also: Make Your Car Last 200,000 Miles

Comments

• olcrankolcrank Member Posts: 5
    Although you pose a dificult question,the answer to which will vary based on how you have maintained the little bugger, I can give you the results of my experiences w/2001 Escapes which were/are still in use and running all over the mountains,forests and strip mines in PA. Having worked as a public servant for many years(retired '05),and having been supplied with Jeep Cherokees as the vehicle of choice for mountain and mine rambling, we were provided new Escapes in 2001, amidst loud objections all around. Noone wanted these little sissy car-utes with the strange links hanging low off the rear axle. Some were sure the vehicle wouldn't last beyond the initial foray offroad. Well, long long story short, it's now fall 2007,and six years later none of the Escapes is out of service, some have well over 100,000 miles. These miles are HARD miles with a lot of idling,spinning,slogging through mud and rocks,climbing ridiculous grades,you name it. Of course, maintenance was good to excellent, and there were a few problems with wear items,but I can't think of a tougher trial for these vehicles. You should have no problem with 200,000 miles IF you keep up with fluid changes and Take it to a mechanic for a going over every 25,000. Hope this little story helps you make up your mind. Sounds like you got the new-car bug. Look at it this way- even if you'd have to replace the trans or replace a suspension part,it'll still be way cheaper than payments for 2 years on a new one. Squash that new-car bug...You could get a lemon. :shades:
  • olcrankolcrank Member Posts: 5
    Picklespoon,
    By the way,I forgot to tell you that upon my long overdue retirement from the Government Meatgrinder, My family and I (mostly I) traded both our cars- a Dodge Durango and a Dodge Neon- for two Ford Escapes. Not a sorry minute so far. Good Luck with yours. :D
  • picklespoonpicklespoon Member Posts: 2
    Olcrank: Thanks so much for the reply. My Escape has been maintained pretty well (regular oil changes, filters, etc.), though I would not say the maintenance has been on par with the Escapes you have in the fleet you mention. Most of its wear is city/highway commute to work (not too stressful). My only concern is that we use the Escape for family trips (two boys) and sometimes tow a camper (very small/light), and I just hate the idea of getting stuck somewhere in the middle of the night or in the middle of no where. But I guess a new car doesn't guarantee that either! The new car bug has bit me, but I'm fighting it because we're contemplating a huge expense soon (my husband's MBA), and I'd rather NOT have a car payment in addition to tuition. Thanks, again, for the story, which is helpful!
  • oldgretscholdgretsch Member Posts: 7
    Well, I just had to say good-bye to my 2001 Escape. She had 114,000 miles on her and still looked new. My neighbor just came up to me thinking I got a new truck. But my Escape is no more. It was struck by another car that ran a red light. I couldn't stop in time and well, the Escape collided pretty hard with a Neon. The driver of the other car was very lucky since I hit the front part of their car. My air bags deployed and with the damage to the front end, the insurance company declared the truck totalled.

I had the problems of the early models, it stalled on me three times but I took the truck back the dealer and they fixed the stalling issue and it never stalled again. I changed my rotors every 40,000 miles. Considering my Mom had to change her Honda's rotors every 20,000, the 40,000 didn't seem so bad. I had the left front control arm replaced a while back. The chook control motor was replaced a couple of months ago. Other than regular maintenance, my Escape was pretty dependable.

I will definitely miss the ride of the truck. I was going to replace her with an 08 but went with a larger Taurus X.

Good luck everyone with their 2001 Escapes. And farwell to my old friend as well...
  • junebuggjunebugg Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Ford Escape and I have about 85,000 miles on it, and I have had a terrible time with my Escape for the past 7 months. I just paid it off and was hoping to hold on to it for a couple more years, but it looks like that's not going to happen. My car goes in to the shop about once a month, gets "fixed" and then 2 weeks later, something else is wrong with it. The Ford Dealer tells me they can't see anything wrong that is affecting the drivability of my vehicle- yet just last night, we were driving down the street and the car lost total power and died. We eventually got it restarted and made it home, but it keeps leaving me in dangerous posititions. We figured if we have to keep spending $500 a month to repair it, we may as well pay half that for a new vehicle that won't leave us stranded. I hope you have better luck with your Escape then I'm having with mine. :mad:
  • cudearcudear Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 has 100+ but has had it share of problems. Mother boards, master cylinders, switches (constant switch problems, even now)...but over all..I love my pod and hope to hang on to it for a while longer. Most of my issues were covered under warranty (issues started early) or recall, so I've always felt like with all that has been fixed, it was a new vehicle all over again
    :D
  • good55good55 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 Escape XLS with 160,400 miles. Only in the last month have I had any engine or driveability issues.
  • jschartzjschartz Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Escape with 74,000 miles. When I turn the steering wheel I can hear a noise like it needs to be lubricatedl. Where do I lubricate it or what can I do to correct this problem.
    I have a 2001 Escape with 74,000 miles and I am hearing noise from inside when I turn the steering wheel at slow speeds or in a parking lot. Are there any lubrication points I need to apply oil or grease.
  • tugamburntugamburn Member Posts: 1
    i have 185,630 on my 01 escape and all iv done to it is plugs and coils all about 110,000 but they call for you to do it at 100,000 any way one set of breaks and 3 set of tires but it has pulled stuff out of mudd and i still run it up to around 110mph and still runs great I plane on keeping it till 300,000
  • tech50tech50 Member Posts: 4
    If you keep up with the oil changes and filter replacements your escape can bodily last with engine 200,000 miles or more, however about every 100,000-150,000 the transmission will have to be rebuilt. It is the realty of todays vehicles.
  • lmhuffinclmhuffinc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ford Escape with 245,000 miles is anyone near there yet?
  • hawkmmshawkmms Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 which just turned 7 years old and 170,000 miles. Finally had to go in for some issues. The only things i have had to replace are an alternator a year agon and a fuel pump last week. Car is great Oil changes and a major service every 2 years or so. Just finished off my second set of tires (Michelin LTX). I hope to get it to 250K at least. The shop I go to see's 250+ on escapes of all years frequently they say!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2012
    245k is great! I'm jealous (got 182k on my minivan which is my personal best ever).

We'll tweak the topic title a bit and see if any other Escape owners are piling the miles on.
  • sulabusulabu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Escape with 195,000 miles, which I could have done a better job maintaining (late on some oil changes occasionally, and no transmission service). It has been a great car, with the exception of a loud noise when I turn the wheel (like it needs to be lubricated), but the problem comes and goes, so it hasn't been diagnosed. Anyway, I backed my old friend out of the driveway this morning, and then put it in DRIVE, but it was like being in NEUTRAL. I love my car! Is it worth replacing the filter and changing the fluid, or should I just move on?
    That is amazing on how many miles you have. I changed my oil every 5,000 miles up to 100,000 miles then I started changing every 4,000 miles. The steering noise must be a common occurrence with the Escape. I talked to a couple of mechanic and they told me that it was just wear and tear. I have no problems with mine, but I do put less mileage on my Escape now that I have a 2nd car. The Escape is great in the snow!
  • coldtoescoldtoes Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 escape with 166,000 miles on it. I bought as a reconstructed vehicle, in 03. No probs with this ride at all until 115,000 - and I had to replace the transmission. Now, I am replacing lots of things, but I think it is normal wear and tear. axles, struts, ball joints, etc. However, the exhaust needs replaced from the manifold back - the entire thing. Any thoughts of sinking more $ into it.
  • younggun821younggun821 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for one of these(used). Perhaps a 2002 or so. Never having bought a car before this is a whole new thing for me. I have been doing my research and so far, favoring the Escape. Just what I want at the right size.
    I would like some feed back on some "high milage" (I'm talking 150k+) Escapes I see for sale. I seen most ask around $5k for them. Are they worth that much? The maintenance, repair probably needed for a such a high mileage vehicle, would it be worth it?
    On the other hand, I seen both sides. Posted here for example. Some have really good Escapes that they had for long time and working great. Others, not so much. But I guess thats true for every used car out there. I suppose I just have to be a smart shopper and do my research and really look for a good Escape.
    Suggestions/help would be really helpful.
  • johnnyumajohnnyuma Member Posts: 54
    IMO if you intend to buy a used vehicle (especially high mileage) only buy from someone that has performed the required maintenance (per the owner's manual - such as oil changes, tranny fluid changes, antifreeze changes, etc) and has the maintenance records to prove it. And have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician (prior to purchase) to assess the vehicle health and what type of maintenance may be needed in the near future (you probably have to pay a small fee for this service).

I think $5000 is way too much to pay for an Escape with that many miles. Check on Edmunds or Kelley Blue Book to get an idea of used vehicle prices.

Remember if you do find a vehicle make sure you have some money "in the bank" to pay for future repairs (maybe a $1000 minimum).
  • dish9392dish9392 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I have a 2004 Escape V6 4x4 that I bought used in 2008. Bought it from a salesman (lots of easy miles) with high mileage for a steal of a price so I figured if I did have to stick money into it it wouldn't be that big of deal. After a set of new tires, bearings, and alternator I am happy to say I just turned 270,000 miles and I wouldn't be afraid to take it on a long road trip. I regularly make a 5 hour trip and don't think twice about jumping in and going. The escape is still on its original engine and transmission! I had asked about flushing the tranny when I bought it but my mechanic said that if there isn't a problem with it he wouldn't touch it, haven't had a problem with it since I bought it. The escape is a great little SUV, fantastic in the snow and not too bad on the gas. I would recommend to anybody.
  • fcameronfcameron Member Posts: 1

I have a 2004 ford escape that is reaching 340,000 kms (we are in canada). I bought it used about 4 years ago. Other than basic wear and tear issues because of its age i havent had many issues. 

• markymarktmarkymarkt Member Posts: 75
    2001 Mazda tribute. I believe it is a rebadged escape. 145000. Upper manifold gasket leaks, series of O2 sensor malfunctions, 2 doors not opening anymore, air conditioner freon leak, upholstery falling off, cracked oil pan. Engine, oil pan, and ac were both fixed and seems to be running very strong again. a TSB was issued for the door lock problem, actuator, but not a recall. Disappointed cause it is a very common problem and costs 300 per door.
    2018 Toyota Rav4
  • gwmcdonaldgwmcdonald Member Posts: 1
    2009 Escape 187,0000.
  • danceswddanceswd Member Posts: 1
    2009 74,000 - Still on original tires and brakes! Plenty of tread left but losing traction in snow because of old rubber. I am assuming brakes will need service soon so I might as well get them done...
  • hollywood_823hollywood_823 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2015
    2004 - 186,000 - I purchased my escape in 2009 with 112,000 on it already. Plan on driving it till the wheels fall or just gets to costly to repair. Only major repair has been driver side lower control arm which I did myself, the bushings and ball joint was fine but the rear bolt became loose and made noise at low speeds(<5-10mph). This may be the noise others hear on their escapes. I have done other regular maintenance that it needed, brakes/rotors, plugs/coils. Every other oil change I do a transmission drain and fill(1 gallon exactly), the transmission hasn't had any issues.
  • sstock024sstock024 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2015
    2001 Escape XLS, 4 cylinder, 5 speed - 274,000 miles. It's been a good car for me and (like hollywood_823 said) I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. Which I'm guessing might be any day now :) She's my road warrior.
  • camilapcamilap Member Posts: 1
    I love my little Ford Escape. I have the 4x4 6 cylinder. I have always stayed up on my oil changes but drive it all over the place and have about 230,000 miles on it now. I am currently looking at getting a new Toyota Tacoma but will probably keep the Escape until it entirely falls to pieces. I have had to do some routine maintenance on it. The most expensive was having the alternator replaced.
  • longlifelonglife Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid with 193K. My college student, now young adult has been driving it since 2010. That means the maintenance hasn't always been timely. Overall, it is running great. Just had brakes, thermostat and a/c compressor replaced. Oh, I had the battery replaced before the warranty was up. She's been rear ended at least 3 times with the bumper replaced. I'm hoping she gets a few more years out of it.
  • prowlr1prowlr1 Member Posts: 1
    I just traded a 2004 ford escape 229,000 miles. loved the car trouble free. i bought 2013 ford escape. hope it treats me as well.
  • zafiro2016zafiro2016 Member Posts: 1
    My Ford Escape is from 2001 but it has not reached 100 thousand miles and since its transmission was completely ruined, we have always given the proper maintenance to our car, a little more and I crashed on the freeway, please someone can help me as Report to the Ford company to help me solve this factory problem because it makes me unfair that I pay for a transmission that came out defective when I heard that these cars are going well. Thank you.
  • travelingpttravelingpt Member Posts: 3
    My 2013 Escape has 254,000 miles and original transmission and engine.  I've never had a work car go this many miles with original equipment.

blew vanagon engine near 200,000 miles but overloaded it with Boy Scouts and family 

ford small truck blew transmission at 190,000

loved my crv  but had to get used engine (never again) but wore out at 300,000

so amazed that the Milage just crept up on this car that I drive in home health in rural north central PA

Was rear-ended (3rd car hit while parked )  and plastic bumper not hurt but frame bucked a little and twisted metsl bumper did job - but had $2,500 repair job this month and insurance adjuster about died because basically said it was totaled (but they paid it as I was not ready to give up good running car )

I said sometimes we get good car + ford garage maintained every 5,000 miles with recommended service + driven 100-200 every day for work with no scouts or kids overloading it one can get lucky - like the 90 year old grandmother who smokes and obviously had no cancer genes and good lung DNA    

Rare but but I see it occasionally 

edited March 2017
    Oops 

my escape is rhe 2008 not the 2013 which is my wife's/family car 

need another cup of coffee to wake up

PS 

was as able to edit the above post - nice 

I will take over the 2013 when the 2008  reaches the end of life - I'm in bonus time now 
    edited March 2017
    Interesting site 

• pony_up2pony_up2 Member Posts: 1
    2002 midnight edition Ford Escape xlt full tow package work suv. 201,192 miles. A 7 point buck jumped in front around the new year, blew the front bumper off. Transmission linkage bushing went bad $60 and the rear trunk glass fell off, threaded inserts are stripped. Check engine light is on, front wheel speed sensor, either from the buck collision or pulling donuts in the snow and mud..

would I purchase an newer model escape, probably not. Probably a f150 lariat or f250 diesel. Am I crossing finger to get another 40-100k out of the 2002 escape, you can bet your bottom dollar. 
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    2010 2.5l Escape, broke 200K in March. https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/44956/ford/escape/the-200k-club#latest

Will be at 210K next week and counting
  • maxschafermaxschafer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 ford escape with 96,000 miles. Not kidding, this car is going on 17 years of ownership and only has 96,000 miles on it. Biggest problems i've had in the last few years is spark plug and coils issues, and a busted AC, which even a new compressor didn't fix. 
  • neron88neron88 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Ford Escape 2001 2.0l 4 cylinders manual transmission.......
    229k.......
    I runs so good. I take it to regular checks. No major expense. 
    I wanted/want to sell it b4 the end of the year just to get something more recent....but i want to run it till it falls apart lol.
  • sdrkgideonsdrkgideon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Ford Escape that I drive about 1000 miles a week. Close to 270,000 and running great. Oil change every other month and flush transmission at every 100,000. Hoping for 400,000
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I wouldn't "flush" that transmission! Changing the fluid is a great idea but I would do it more often than 100,000! Sounds like you're doing fine.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    With the transmission in an Escape, a drain and fill which is around 5qt every 30K keeps the fluid in excellent condition. 243K and counting
  • 01escapekd01escapekd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 with 286k. Minor repairs here and there, water pump, rear brake lines, and a couple coil packs. Recent replaced the pvc valve. Hoping to make it to 300k. 
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    FWIW, we've got a 2007 Merc Mariner 4x4 Hybrid with 100+K miles. We take very good care of it and love the way it drives. We always park where no one else cares to park and therefore no dents, dings, scratches, etc. It's been almost trouble free. The brakes are original...guess that's another benefit of driving a hybrid....and mpg 4X4 has been very good.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Our next door neighbor had a Mariner of about that vintage. Despite hit and miss maintenance (mostly miss) it was running very well at 150,000 miles. One morning it wouldn't go into gear and that was the end of that. He heard his 4000.00 estimate and it is now in Mariner heaven in some wrecking yard. It still looked good inside and out. With today's shop pricies one major repair can easily total a car!
  • HeelotesHeelotes Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2004 Escape 10 years ago when it had 85,000 miles on it. I don't drive it hard and it now has over 214,000 miles on it. I have done the brakes, replaced a bad coil and have done most regular maintenance. It has scratches and dings and a cracked windshield, but runs great. I expect to keep it another year and that will probably put around 10,000 more miles on it.
  • barkingspiderbarkingspider Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2019
    I am the original owner of a 2002 Ford Escape XLT 6 cyl 4WD, now at 312k miles. It's been a great car and I do intend to keep her going, or replace her with another 01-04 Escape with low mileage. I've done lots of the usual maintenance with a car this old. The tranny went out at a little over 100k, just out of warranty which was annoying. Since then it's just trucked along. The mileage is mostly freeway miles in California. Anyone else have mileage over 300k? I saw on a high mileage Ford forum an Escape with 415k miles.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

I am the original owner of a Ford Escape XLT 6 cyl 4WD, now at 312k miles. It's been a great car and I do intend to keep her going, or replace her with another 01-04 Escape with low mileage. I've done lots of the usual maintenance with a car this old. The tranny went out at a little over 100k, just out of warranty which was annoying. Since then it's just trucked along. The mileage is mostly freeway miles in California. Anyone else have mileage over 300k? I saw on a high mileage Ford forum an Escape with 415k miles.

You might check out this discussion:
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/44956/ford/escape/the-200k-club#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator