Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Baseball!

13»

Comments

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Yeah, but Mike Hampton will say your excellent schools brought him there....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    What I find odd is that Denver cut its ties with the AAA affiliate in Colo Springs - similar environment and altitude - and now the AAA team is in ABQ. Tried growing our own (Tulo, Ubaldo Jiminez) and that didn't work out well either.

A couple of stars does not a contender make.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Michaell said:

What I find odd is that Denver cut its ties with the AAA affiliate in Colo Springs - similar environment and altitude - and now the AAA team is in ABQ. Tried growing our own (Tulo, Ubaldo Jiminez) and that didn't work out well either.

Before the Rockies, the Reds had their AAA team in Denver for a little while. Mid-80s? I sort of remember Eric Davis playing there.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

Before the Rockies, the Reds had their AAA team in Denver for a little while. Mid-80s? I sort of remember Eric Davis playing there.
    Yep, the Denver Bears. They played at Mile High Stadium (which is where the Rockies played the first few seasons before Coors Field opened up).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Have been at the last two Mets-Phillies games. Went by myself the night of the 16-7 (Super Bowl III score) game which is as crazy a game as I've ever seen. Ran into the guys who had the Cespedes home run ball. Got a picture with it.

So last night the girls who weren't interested were suddenly a great deal more interested so we went. Good, tight game but not the insanity of the previous night where by the seventh inning the Met fans had taken over the place.

Still 5-1/2 games up and another day drops off the calendar.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Two outs in the 7th, Mets score six to tie. Nats seem to have imploded.
    Stick a fork in the Nats. They are done.

Now, I need 150 million people to put up a buck so we sign Cespedes.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    fezo said:

Stick a fork in the Nats Mets. They are done.

:'(

funkletub said:

Not a lot of baseball talk here but ... Cubs win!?

Wait till next year.. B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• PolitedriverPolitedriver Member Posts: 2
    Anyone still chatting about baseball? I'm excited for the season to get back going again. Nothing I like more than an afternoon ballgame while bbqing.
    I'm excited! I have tickets to Opening Day in Cincinnati!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Today is the day!

As of now, we are in first place! :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2019
    Remember "The Natural"? Well the book ends differently than the movie. Another interesting fact about the film is that the music was written by Randy Newman.

Here's the "Happy Ending" version. You don't wanna know the book ending if you haven't read it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i94ldGNNSQ0

And.... the Reds are still in first place!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

And.... the Reds are still in first place!

As are the Rockies!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• JahamesJahames Member Posts: 5
    Anyone notice how bad umpiring is this season? Not sure if it's just technology or what, but even to my naked eye it seems like there's a ton of missed ball and strike calls this season.
    Jahames said:

Anyone notice how bad umpiring is this season? Not sure if it's just technology or what, but even to my naked eye it seems like there's a ton of missed ball and strike calls this season.

Too much technology.. It was more enjoyable to watch, before they super-imposed the strike zone on the screen.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Jahames said:

Too much technology.. It was more enjoyable to watch, before they super-imposed the strike zone on the screen.. ;)
    Ah, but that's just another place to sell a sponsorship. We have the "Subaru Strike Zone" here in Colorado.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Reds vs. Astros

Win for the good guys!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Games have just gotten way too long lately
    berri said:

Games have just gotten way too long lately

52 minute rain delay didn't help... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Raise the mound back up, and call the stroke zone as written in the rule book.

NEVER going to happen. They think a 15-13 game is more exciting than 3-2. Some of the best games I've ever been to were 1-0. Game was on the line every pitch for 9 innings or longer

The game doesn't have a time clock ,although the pitch clock is a good idea to stop EVERY pitch in EVERY game being approached like it's the bottom of the 9th in the 7th game of the World Series.

One of my best days at the ballpark was when I was 9 years old. Memorial Day doubleheader at Shea Stadium, Mets vs Giant with Willie Mays, Juan Marichal, even a then young Gaylord Perry. Packed house. Second game went 23 innings. Recap of the longest double header ever :)
    This past weekend was rough, if you were a Rockies fan.

4 game set with the Padres. 92 runs scored between the two teams, and the Rockies coughed up both a 6 run lead and a 3 run lead, both in the top of the 9th inning. Truly painful to watch.

But, Charlie Blackmon raised his batting average 30 points in the 7 game homestand, and he had 15 hits alone in the 4 game series, which is a new MLB record.

Rockies have had the NL Player of the Week three weeks running - Nolan Arenado, Trevor Story and now Blackmon.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Heading out to the game, again today. 12:35 start against Houston.

Going for the sweep!

No offense, but 5280 feet is no place for major league baseball. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Heading out to the game, again today. 12:35 start against Houston.

Going for the sweep!

No offense, but 5280 feet is no place for major league baseball. ;)

But, but, but --- we've got a humidor now!

And, there has been baseball in Denver for years - AAA Zephyrs were around since just after WW2.

I see your point, however - I seriously doubt there will be an MVP from Colorado due to the altitude.

But, shouldn't that then give extra weight to great pitching, season long? Kyle Freeland had one of the best seasons ever, last year, pitching half his games at Coors Field. Just not a lot of love from the east coast press corps.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• JMillertimeJMillertime Member Posts: 6
    Should be interesting to see how a firm trade deadline affects things this season. I'm guessing we'll see more than a few teams unload quite a few players.

Should be interesting to see how a firm trade deadline affects things this season. I'm guessing we'll see more than a few teams unload quite a few players.

Trying to figure out the buyers from the sellers will be fun.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Local media all had the Reds as buyers, after their six game win streak.

Of course, they promptly lose their next three games.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I'm ńot sure where the Rockies are on that spectrum. Swept the D-Backs in AZ, then lost three walk off games - all by rookies! - to the Dodgers.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• JMillertimeJMillertime Member Posts: 6
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

I'm ńot sure where the Rockies are on that spectrum. Swept the D-Backs in AZ, then lost three walk off games - all by rookies! - to the Dodgers.
    Pretty hard to see them hanging on to a playoff spot. It's already tight and some of those teams lurking behind them just need some bullpen help to be much better teams. Which they'll likely get.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    See? As a Mets fan, I can likely sit back and enjoy a game here and there without all that playoff stress :)

Now, the Phillies fans are going to be fun to watch as all that Bryce money seems to have them in the thick of the wildcard...heh
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Really sad that Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs was found dead yesterday in his hotel room here in the Dallas area. Only 27 years old. The Angels have certainly had to deal with some tragedies in their history.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • MunchooMunchoo Member Posts: 3
    I'm just here to say go Astros! Not because I like them, but baseball is just better when the Dodgers and Yankees are out of it.