Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Insurance and NJ No-Point Ticket option

191011121315»

Comments

• paulr9paulr9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a court date for a accident in october 2012 and thinking whether to go to court and talk to prosecutor for point reduction or simply pay as guilty over phone. I got careless driving 2 pointer ticket.

My driving history is not that good, though my latest Driver history shows only 2 points
    from 6 incidents in last 5 years after twice 2 pointer credits "POINT CREDIT -ANNUAL SAFE DRIVING".
    Generally, If I am guilty , I go to court and ask the prosecutor to reduce the points for extra fine. Rarely, prosecutor says no to this except only once saying some thing which I didn't understand. He Said some thing like " If you get 3 times break or 3 times in 5 years you will lose your driver license" .

I doesn't remember for which incident it is. As per the record last accident in July 2012 has 2 points, which I beleive he reduced from 4 points to 2 points I think.

My question is whether I go to court and ask the point reduction or just pay with out going. The challenge is I need to skip the job for that day, if I have to go to court. This I want to decide based on the probability whether the prosecutor gives the break or not.
    Though my boss agreed to take a day off to compensate later, he was not happy with that, so I want to avoid court, if Idon't have the chance to reduce the point.

My question what is that rule that decides whether prosecutor gives point reduction. I know they want money and we are just a number.

My driving history record report doesn't say when he gave a break in points. Are there any way I can get the information.
  • jared1989jared1989 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday i got a speeding ticket in Michigan for driving at 40 mph on 25 mph or so the cop says. i also got another citation for not pulling over right away(failure to stop for emergency vehicle). I did not even see the officer till 1/4 or less miles away and when i saw him he told me to pull over. I asked him why and he told me i was speeding and i told him i wasn't.

Should i plead not guilty?. whats my worst case scenario?.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    jared1989 said:

Yesterday i got a speeding ticket in Michigan for driving at 40 mph on 25 mph or so the cop says. i also got another citation for not pulling over right away(failure to stop for emergency vehicle). I did not even see the officer till 1/4 or less miles away and when i saw him he told me to pull over. I asked him why and he told me i was speeding and i told him i wasn't.

Should i plead not guilty?. whats my worst case scenario?.

Does the ticket indicate how he determined you were speeding? There are two ways - he catches you with radar or he "paces" you, meaning he followed you for a distance and tracked your speed.

You always have the right to plead not guilty. I don't know the traffic laws in MI that well so can't really tell you if the worst case scenario going that route is going to be more expensive than just paying the fine directly.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jessycatherinejessycatherine Member Posts: 5
    I was pulled over in NY and given a ticket for obstructed view (1213-a) which is a 2 point violation in NY. However, it is a no point offense in NJ. However, NJ issues two points for moving violations committed out of state. Will I get two points on my license for something that would have been a no-point offense in my home state?

• jessycatherinejessycatherine Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2023
    I was pulled over in NY and given a ticket for obstructed view (1213-a) which is a 2 point violation in NY. However, it is a no point offense in NJ. However, NJ issues two points for moving violations committed out of state. Will I get two points on my license for something that would have been a no-point offense in my home state?

https://njmcdirect.support/nj-ticket-lookup