Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fluid Sound Through Hoses on Acceleration, Chevy Equinox

eaglevisioneaglevision Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
When test driving a 2005 Equinox, noticed that upon acceleration, there was the sound of fluid traveling through the hose(s). I am guessing it is fuel. First time I had ever experienced this in any vehicle. Is this common with the Equinox. Does anyone have any comments on this with the Equinox or any other vehicle? Thanks.

Comments

• clebo1clebo1 Member Posts: 78
    air bubbles in coolant line, developed same problem after a dealer fill and flush and new thermostat installed ,maybe a small leak around your head gasket, if you don't see any coolany leaking,check antifreeze frequently...This is the worst vehicle Chevy has ever made.There should have been a recall on this vehicle as many owners are suffering the same problems and paying thru the nose to get it fixed.It must be a design flaw.
    Please note I have the same problem,recently i spent $847.00 to have this repaired, this led to this condition,now the dealer are telling me the same thing for this Chevy equinox vehicle with only 56,000 miles, pampered and babied my me.This vehicle has never been out of State here in Mass. This was major design problem GM knew about when they put this piece of junk out. Well this dealer put a additive in in the radiator. was 3/4 full,now half full. No leaks found. Possibly burning
    antifreeze out at in the exhaust System.No one seems to know at this point.I have been in an ongoing battle with gm for over 2 years concerning this Issue. They buried their head in the sand!!!Get rid of this Vehicle,more problems occur the longer you keep this vehicle.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    I knew that an engine could burn oil but can an engine burns antifreeze?
    I though you had to have a leaking problem or air bubbles trap in the system to make the coolant level go down?
    Maybe it's my imagination but just before the dealer changed the head gasket there was a funny smell coming from the exhaust pipe, now the gasket is fixed, no leaks, the level stays the same but that funny smell is still there.
    Please note sadly to say, this is a vehicle design flaw,I have had the same thing upon recently replacing the thermostat assembly and getting a flush and fill, it's about to drive me crazy. I've been back to dealer for another total period of 4 days.I have asked for Chevy cac to help at 1-800-222-1020.They have done nothing. Now they are assuming it may be a gasket problem-small leak I have only 56,000 miles. Do yourself a favor,get rid of this lemon as asap as it get older,the more Money it will cost you,brakes,rotors,serpentine belts. The works. This is just a bad product. When I get rid of this one.I will never buy another vehicle made by GM,to which I reiterated to their Legal department on a person who i spoke to on yesterday,and in his plain terms said they would not stand behind and fix this product,but GM legal would not send me their position on their refusal in writing. as GM does not stand behind their vehicles, when in fact they want you to stand in front of them. If GM does not become more customer service friendly after using my Tax Money for their bail out,I know they will not survive in the auto industry.
  • landy2landy2 Member Posts: 1
    My '05 Nox has 62,000 miles and the head gasket already needs to be replaced. I started losing coolant around the beginning of July. It took approximately 1 month for the coolant to leak out...only it was not leaking out of the vehicle. Dealer said it was an internal leak. After 2 visits to Chevy, (first visit they claim they couldn't find anything), they finally told me that the head gasket and a cyclinder head needed to be replaced. The only time I drive the car is back and forth to work. How could a head gasket malfunction on a relatively young car? Anyone had this problem?
    Mine is also a 2005 FWD LT
    I bought it new so I'm the only owner and driver and very cautious.
    The head gasket blew and had to be changed at 29,000 miles last April. The warranty was expired because the 3 years was over.
    Called G.M. since it was ridiculous to have to change a head gasket at such a low millage, they told politely to shut up and to pay my repairs.
    Now my Nox has 33,000 miles. We own a daycare and I work at home, take my truck for errands around the city and once a month I go for a visit to my daughter 250 miles (round trip) highway driving that's why I have a so low mileage.
    Yes sad to say, this vehicle is a GM/Chevy Lemon vehicle.I have the same problem. This is a good Vehicle as long as you don't have to drive it anyplace.Great for sitting in your backyard.Please contact the National transportation Safety Board. I have filed a formal complaint.,Any other owners with this same problems Chevy Equinox 2005-2009.There are legal issues which may result in a Class Action Lawsuit ,Please notify the Federal trade Assocation Also. The More complaints received,through the Consumer Union we can Get Chevy to fix a Problem they new about when this vehicle was built.( faulty head gaskets)Contacting the 2 Government agencies with your complaint can be done on line.
    Please read my post on line,First File a formal complaint with the National transportation safety board to have this vehicle removed from the road so no one else will buy such a Lemon Vehicle. Also File a formal complaint with the FTC.
    Chevy/GM knew about these defective head gaskets when these vehicles were built and knew they only had a 3-5 year vehicle life,my Oldsmobile which I had for 12 years have no head gasket leakage with 129,000 miles on it. My vehicle problems started with only 33,000 miles. Anyone out there 2005-2009 Chevy Equinox are prone to many problems like this one.File you complaint promptly.
    This is not common,stay away from this vehicle,it's has difficult mechanical problems. Once you change a part or two. This is the sound of air bubbles in the coolant lines. Mine Equinox was in the shop for 3 days after the thermostat was changed and I got a flush and fill. The dealer tried to figure this out but eventually a radiator shop got the bubbles out of the air lines..This is start of a problem which later occur with your head gasket. Please Dump Chevy/GM and this vehicle.I Never thought Chevy would some day be at the bottom of the auto dependability list.
  • azekissazekiss Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys, one other thing with this fluid thing. In 06 or 07 there was a little known issues with the RED coolant that GM unsed in the NOX. The coolant was actually eating all the rubber in the system. You can tell by the burnt black look and a foul odor. Any way, my NOX has 72000 on ir and has made a to and from trip from AZ to IL with little problems, till last friday. I could smell that burnt smell again, looked under the hood nothing, looked in the passenger area nothing, drove it home and to work the next day. Parked it Saturday night, and it sat until Monday afternoon. That's when I saw the discolored floor mats and moist feel to the carpet. Turns out the heater core popped in the dash board. Thank god for extended warranties. Gonna cost them 2400 this time.
  • notachevyfannotachevyfan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Equinox, it made the same sound. Turns out to be antifreeze going in the the reserve tank. My car was bought new (had 11 miles on it) so far, I have replaced the air conditioner compressor, the 6 disc cd changer went out, it leaks, the back end fills with water (the spare tire was under water) and now it is in the shop for head gasked work. It only has 53,000 miles on it. I use to be a Chevy person all the way, but not any more! Please have your antifreeze checked.
  • gdisselkamp1gdisselkamp1 Member Posts: 1
    Yup. I just bought my 2005 equinox 2wd a week ago and guess what it needs a head gasket. I guess i should have done some research before i bought the car. So i was looking at the overflow tank the other day and i decided to check the fluid and went to go take the cap off and kaboom the cap blew off like it had a 100 psi behind it and radiator fluid went everywhere. So i took it to the dealership and they did a hydrocarbon test on the coolant system to check for exhaust gases escaping into the system which would be a sign of a bad head gasket. Well it came back positive so it looks like i need a new head gasket on a car that i just bought. Sucks
    Mine is also a 2005 FWD LT
    I bought it new so I'm the only owner and driver and very cautious.
    The head gasket blew and had to be changed at 29,000 miles in April 2009. The warranty was expired because the 3 years was over.
    Called G.M. since it was ridiculous to have to change a head gasket at such a low millage, they told politely to shut up and to pay my repairs.
    Today, my Nox has 39,000 miles. I work at home, that's why I have a so low mileage.
    My mechanic told me that it's very common to see head gasket problems with the 3.4 L engines.

Very expensive job...it cost me 1,400.00 $ (Canadian $$$)
    ANY OTHER PERSON, OUT THERE WITH THE EQUINOX PROBLEM WITH THE HEAD GASKET. CHEVY KNEW ABOUT THIS PROBLEM WITH THIS VEHICLE AS IT IS IN THEIR SERVICE BULLETINS TO THE DEALERS. THE BEST THING FOR ANY PERSON OUT THERE IS TO REPORT TO THE NTHSB AND A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. THIS IS THE ONLY REMEDY GM-CHEVY UNDERSTANDS A LAWSUIT. NOW WE NEED A GOOD LAW OFFICE WHO WILL TAKE OUR CASE AND MAKE CHEVY PAY FOR THESE REPAIR. IS THERE ANY GOOD LAW FIRMS OUT THERE WILLING TO TAKE THIS ONE FOR THE GOOD OF THESE CONSUMERS AND A INFERIOR PRODUCT. CHEVY-GM HAVE JUST BURIED THEIR HEAD UNDER THE SAND -YOU TRY CALLING 1-800- 1-800-222-1020 AS I HAVE CALLED THIS NUMBER OVER 100 TIMES AND MET WITH FIERCE RESISTANCE. THE SAME PROBLEM IS THE COBALT 2005-2009 WITH A RECALL ISSUE. TRULY CHEVY HAS LOST TOUCH WITH THE CONSUMER. PROBLEMS OR NO PROBLEM,S,MY NEXT VEHICLE WILL BE A TOYOTA. CHEVY EQUINOXES 2005-2009 ARE PIECES OF JUNK.
    The problem is not with the Equinox...it's with ALL the 3.4 L engines.
    I had a Venture with a 3.4 L engine and the head gasket blew (prematurely) @ 12,000 miles. the a Montana still with that 3.4 L engine and again...a blown head gasket @ 31,000 miles. Now again with my Equinox...another blown head gasket.
    So you see...it's not because it's a Equinox.

Every time I called G.M.'s 800 # I always got an answer and talked with a very polite and curtious person at the other end of the line and he/she understood my problem and gave me all the support I needed.

I'm very satisfied with G.M. products and I just traded in my 2005 Equinox for a 2010 HHR LT2 with a 2.4 L engine.
    Made sure it wasn't a 3.4 L to avoid the surprise of a blown head gasket again.

By the way, my Equinox has been a very good and dependable truck for 5 years (except for that head gasket).
    SORRY MY FRIEND,IT'S THE HEAD GASKET AND REAR SEAL GASKET.I JUST HAVE MINE REPLACED COST ME $516.00,MY WARRANTY COMPANY $1309.
    6 MORE MONTHS AND THIS PIG IS HISTORY. SORRY CHEVY,THIS VEHICLE IS NO GOOD!!!
    Well....explain this;
    Why did the head gasket blew on my 3 vehicles that had the 3.4 L engine?
    My Venture, my Montana and now my Equinox and lots of people I know have the 3.4 L engine in there car, truck or van and had the same problem with their "head gasket".
    How can a bunch of people be so hard or unlucky with "head gaskets"?
    I don't know where you got your "certified mechanic diploma" but my brother in law that is a "real" certified mechanic told me that YES there is a serious problem with "head gaskets on the 3.4 L engines and not only the ones in the Equinox.
    Do you think your engine knows it's in a Equinox?
    So it's NOT because it's Equinox.
    SUGGESTION: Buy a other vehicle with the 3.4 L engine and you'll probably get your proof.
  • brad0brad0 Member Posts: 1
    We have had 2, 2005 Equinox SUVs, The first was bought new and had no gurgling in some 120 k miles before my wife decided to total it into a stopped car at 50mph.

She liked the car up to that point so well, that I got her the same year with 60, 000 miles on the odometer at the time we picked it up. From the start, the car had the gurgling sound that everyone mentioned. Every once in a while a drop or 2 of coolant from the area of the water pump would be noticed.

Realizing that the shaft seal was probably letting a drop or 2 of water through from time to time, I planned on changing the pump since this type of leak is bad for the pump bearings.

Once changed, the gurgling stopped for good which led to one of those ah-ha moments where I realized that the coolant was weeping when the fluid was hot and expanding. When the coolant was losing it's heat with the engine off, it contracted which not only withdrew coolant from the surge tank as designed, but introduced air through vacuum through the same waterpump seal.

This air when forced through the engine water jackets and back to the surge tank causes the percolating sound in the tank as its released.

Likely, as the engine heats with air bubbles in different water jacket sections and until it's released into the surge tank, engine uneven heating must occur causing failure around the head gaskets and possible warped heads as well.

Overall, we've been very happy with the stability of these cars and the highway mileage is pretty good on the earlier models, considerably better on the more recent offerings.

Hope this info helps.
  • empoy77empoy77 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2005 equinox LT. Hopefully everyone that has same issue will file a formal complaint against GM.
  • empoy77empoy77 Member Posts: 2
    clebo1 said:
    This is not common,stay away from this vehicle,it's has difficult mechanical problems. Once you change a part or two. This is the sound of air bubbles in the coolant lines. Mine Equinox was in the shop for 3 days after the thermostat was changed and I got a flush and fill. The dealer tried to figure this out but eventually a radiator shop got the bubbles out of the air lines..This is start of a problem which later occur with your head gasket. Please Dump Chevy/GM and this vehicle.I Never thought Chevy would some day be at the bottom of the auto dependability list.