Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,875

venture said:

The Subaru dealer finally saw it my way. My daughter has her Crosstrek.

Did you use your most powerful negotiating tool...the door?
    Yep.

We looked Friday. Found one she liked. They were way low on the trade. We walked. They called - twice - to raise their offer on her trade.

It was a little funny one time the lady called. I told her we were looking at Escapes now. Since they are a Subaru/Ford dealer she, naturally, said she could find us a good Escape. I said we already had one picked out somewhere else. It sounded, on the phone, like it might sound if someone swallowed a canary.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    ab348 said:
    "logging into a Microsoft account every time I need to use it" -- go here and read: http://addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-login-screen-in-windows-10/
    The comments at the bottom of that page show a plethora of problems with that. No thanks.
    Why do you have to log into a Microsoft account?  Do you mean MSN?  I use Windows 10 and don't have to log-in to anything.  I turn the computer on and in 30-40 seconds, I start working.

If you mean log-in to view emails, I have to do that with my comcast email account (private) just like I did with Windows 7.

I think I am missing something - forgive me.  Could you explain or re-explain what you mean by logging in to an account?

If you mean a computer user log-in, I have mine set to administrator and automatically logs me in when computer is turned on.  

2021 Genesis G90

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    venture said:

Fantastic! So they wanted it more than you did and your expectations were not unreasonable. I think the Escape threat really helped. Seems like you were ready to get one, even if you'd rather have Crosstek, which is the ultimate power of the consumer.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,505
    He who cares least always wins the negotiation.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    abacomike said:

Why do you have to log into a Microsoft account?  Do you mean MSN?  I use Windows 10 and don't have to log-in to anything.  I turn the computer on and in 30-40 seconds, I start working.

If you mean log-in to view emails, I have to do that with my comcast email account (private) just like I did with Windows 7.

I think I am missing something - forgive me.  Could you explain or re-explain what you mean by logging in to an account?

If you mean a computer user log-in, I have mine set to administrator and automatically logs me in when computer is turned on.  

When the computer was running Win7, I had a screen saver password set up just to prevent anyone who might be visiting here from getting on and messing things up. Short and simple password, used it forever.

When I installed Win10, I had to put in my Microsoft account password - one that I use for Outlook mail, buying Office online, and other things Microsoft requires it for. I almost had never used it until that point and was lucky I still remembered it. It is longer and more complicated. Somehow that has now also become my logon password after the screen saver kicks in. I assume it is also now my administrator password. Painful and totally unnecessary change.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    You don't have to use a Microsoft Account to log into your computer. You can create a local account just like you had in the past:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-local-account-windows-10/

Windows 8 required the use of a Microsoft account. Just like Google and Apple, it was designed to make is easier for you to use any computer and get all your settings and apps.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    abacomike said:

suydam said:

Was going to get an all-in-one desktop, as I like having both, but not sure if I should do nothing & stay the course, buy a Windows 10 small all-in-one P C or get an Apple desktop and spend a lot. Just wish I had written down the number of the service pack the guy mentioned so I could try that first.

People still buy desktop computers? :)
    I always buy computers with a tower. I have no need to carry a laptop anymore and I use my iPad when I'm downstairs. Trying to convert from Windows 7 to 10 was a disaster for me and I am SO thankful that I was able to restore my Windows 7. Not just me. Other people I know ran into the same thing yet I know at least one person that went from 7 to 10 without a hitch. Go figure!

You know at least 2 people who went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without a hitch - ME :smile: 

And me!

I have a laptop which is nice for taking with. The tablet is good for travel but not much else. I like my new 22 inch all in one desktop the best. All in one has tower built into the screen, fewer wi
    venture said:

Way to go venture! You played it perfectly........probably good at poker too.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

@ab348:

Hmmm.  When I downloaded Windows 10, it made no changes in my computer or administrative password(s).  On Windows 7, I did not need a password nor does Windows 10.  I guess if you had a password, it might change it.  Sounds a bit goofy to me, but with all the emphasis on security today, I guess this stuff is necessary.

2021 Genesis G90

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2015
    That's probably it - I put a password on mine even on my home PCs just to hopefully slow any burglars down while I contact my bank.

@imidazol97, the NYT is trying to put a number to the VW deception. The assumptions seem a bit loosy-goosy to me but they are coming up with an estimated 106 deaths in the US caused by the VW pollution. Approaching ignition switch territory in other words.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,356

Precisely; that's why my current car hunt is relatively stress free- I don't need a new car so I'm not under the gun if I decide to walk.

A few years ago I was at a dealer and a decrepit Grand Marquis pulled in. Husband, wife, and three screaming kids; the motor sounded like a clothes dryer full of billiard balls. When the guy switched the car off it dieseled for a few seconds, then it backfired loudly and belched out a cloud of black smoke. I told my wife, "There's a guy that is REALLY going to get clubbed like a baby seal."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stever said:

That's probably it - I put a password on mine even on my home PCs just to hopefully slow any burglars down while I contact my bank.

We password protect tablets, phones, and computers for the same reason. Additionally, we create a data backup on a massive external hard drive on a monthly basis that we then store in our bank's vault. Given everything is digital today, from taxes to photos, if we have a house fire, then at least we'll only lose a maximum of a month's worth of data. During a fire we can focus on getting the family out safely and letting everything else burn, knowing it's insured and the photos and important data are safely locked away.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    venture said:

Congrats! I've always wanted a Subie.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    stever said:

@imidazol97, the NYT is trying to put a number to the VW deception. The assumptions seem a bit loosy-goosy to me but they are coming up with an estimated 106 deaths in the US caused by the VW pollution. Approaching ignition switch territory in other words.

I wouldn't believe anything the NYT printed. They are a really slanted paper these days.

Meanwhile: the stampede has begun:

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/5222905532.html

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited September 2015

Here is my Saturday band picture

Lots of Notre Dame fans! Is that Notre Dame's band? I remember hearing some of
    the great college band perform in breaks at Bands of America performances. Really
    great.

After seeing what many Bands of America competitors from Texas and other states
    did with their marching band performances, I have great respect for marching bands
    who do the competition circuits. Spent many hours at Indianapolis Lucas Oil Stadium
    and others watching great athletes called band members perform.

Then there's The Ohio State Marching Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21GPzflC_ng

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited September 2015

I wouldn't believe anything the NYT printed. They are a really slanted paper these days.

I think the number is somewhere north of zero myself. That "as much as 40 times" number seems inflated in all the news stories. When I skimmed the W. VA paper, I only recall seeing 35 times and that may have been the outlier.

Your VW ad link got me thinking - we still have used TDI appraisal prices up and they don't seem to have tanked.

Takata may have to expand their recall again.

Lost in all the other recall news is another NYT story about Toyota losing settling a SUA case. Buggy software controlling the e-throttle was blamed by plaintiff's experts.

Tough times for automakers (and VW dealers).

stever said:

I think the number is somewhere north of zero myself. That "as much as 40 times" number seems inflated in all the news stories. When I skimmed the W. VA paper, I only recall seeing 35 times and that may have been the outlier.

Your VW ad link got me thinking - we still have used TDI appraisal prices up and they don't seem to have tanked.

Takata may have to expand their recall again.

Lost in all the other recall news is another NYT story about Toyota losing settling a SUA case. Buggy software controlling the e-throttle was blamed by plaintiff's experts.

Tough times for automakers (and VW dealers).

Tough times indeed.

http://abc7.com/news/car-stuck-on-cruise-control-goes-airborne-on-210-freeway-in-rialto/994845/

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Just turn off the ignition key. Shift into N for neutral.

Cruise control should have had an electrical turn off if brake pedal depressed. I wonder if it
    was not cruise control but unintended acceleration? Maybe toyota is sharing.

edited September 2015
    From the comments - “You can’t change gears on your vehicle, you can’t get it into neutral?” said the dispatcher.

“No, I can’t even put on my e-brake, I can’t do anything.. My car is swerving all over the place, I don’t know what’s going on,” Robben said.

This is where a dash cam would be handy.

(All the band talk makes me want to grab the family saxophone away from my sister my next trip back East. The neighbors have some dogs that I could surely get nicely riled up. B) )
    edited September 2015
    tyguy said:

. . . we create a data backup on a massive external hard drive on a monthly basis that we then store in our bank's vault.

I back up my work stuff at home and my home stuff at work using thumb drives and/or a portable hard drive. If both are damaged on the same day, I've got much bigger issues.

stever said:

(All the band talk makes me want to grab the family saxophone away from my sister my next trip back East. The neighbors have some dogs that I could surely get nicely riled up. B) )

Watching high school bands perform shows with guard members throwing rifles and flags is great. But the best I saw was the California band, rare at Indianapolis Nationals of BOA, where the marimba player actually rolled the marimba around the field and played as the band formed various formations, much the same as a tuba player would do.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

Cruise control should have had an electrical turn off if brake pedal depressed. I wonder if it

Shifting into Neutral is the best response. Turning off the ignition, I guess that would be GM sharing.
    edited September 2015
    jpp5862 said:

Shifting into Neutral is the best response. Turning off the ignition, I guess that would be GM sharing.
    I guess you missed the link in Steve's post: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/business/complex-car-software-becomes-the-weak-spot-under-the-hood.html?_r=0

"And last month, Toyota recalled 625,000 hybrid cars over a software malfunction that could bring the cars to a sudden stop; it recalled 1.9 million Prius hybrid cars last year for a similar problem.

"Jean Bookout was driving a 2005 Camry eight years ago on an Oklahoma highway when the car accelerated through an intersection and slammed into an embankment. Ms. Bookout, then 76, was injured, and her passenger, the 70-year-old Barbara Schwarz, died.

"Experts who reviewed the source code for Toyota’s electronic throttle — and testified in a lawsuit arising from the Oklahoma case —found that it contained bugs.

"They also testified that Toyota had failed to follow proper coding rules and protocols. The resulting code, as one expert described it, was “spaghetti.”

"An Oklahoma jury awarded $3 million in compensation to the plaintiffs. Toyota settled before the jury could consider awarding additional damages; to this day, the carmaker disputes that its electronic throttle system is flawed."

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/feds-consider-expanding-takata-airbag-recall.htmlhttp://www.edmunds.com/car-news/feds-consider-expanding-takata-airbag-recall.html

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration notified seven automakers, including Tesla Motors and Volkswagen AG, that it is considering expanding the Takata airbag recall.

"Letters from NHTSA were also sent to Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar Land Rover, Suzuki Motor, Volvo Trucks and Spartan Motors on September 22."

I guess that would be Honda sharing their airbag woes. :smile:

Today we went on a tour of the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart. All the E's are made at this plant, as well as S's and they make other models. It is a great tour, about 2 hours long, and one a day is given in American/English.

Some interesting facts,
    Lots of robots and they seem almost human as they pick up an instrument panel, wedge it thru a door frame, and put it in place,

Sometimes 2 robots work together, one holds a part while the other applies glue,

A car with a Panorama roof is stronger than a car without it,

30,000 employees, produce 1800 cars a day, have a fire department and 3 full service stations

6 restaurants and serve 15,000 meals a day

OF 1800 CARS MADE EACH DAY, 1300 GO BY RAIL, 300 by train, 200 are picked up at factory

There is a vent behind left rear quarter panel to let air escape when you close a door or air pressure will be too great.

They crash almost a car a day to test for damage from accidents.

It is an incredible place to see.....highly recommended if in Stuttgart.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Precisely; that's why my current car hunt is relatively stress free- I don't need a new car so I'm not under the gun if I decide to walk.

A few years ago I was at a dealer and a decrepit Grand Marquis pulled in. Husband, wife, and three screaming kids; the motor sounded like a clothes dryer full of billiard balls. When the guy switched the car off it dieseled for a few seconds, then it backfired loudly and belched out a cloud of black smoke. I told my wife, "There's a guy that is REALLY going to get clubbed like a baby seal."

Last night, while negotiating the purchase of a new F150 (full story over in CCBA), I overheard a conversation in the next cubicle. Salesman asks the potential buyer for his social security number.

Customer: Why do you need my social security number?

Salesman: So I can run a credit check, and tell you what finance rate you qualify for, and then tell you the exact monthly payment you’re looking at.

Customer: 1234 (or sequence of 4 digits)

Salesman: No, I have to have the entire social security number to run a credit check.

Customer: Sorry, I don’t remember.

Surprisingly to me, the salesman kept on trying to work the deal. I would have expected him to let it drop at that point.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    driver100 said:

Today we went on a tour of the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart. All the E's are made at this plant, as well as S's and they make other models. It is a great tour, about 2 hours long, and one a day is given in American/English.

Some interesting facts,
    Lots of robots and they seem almost human as they pick up an instrument panel, wedge it thru a door frame, and put it in place,

Sometimes 2 robots work together, one holds a part while the other applies glue,

A car with a Panorama roof is stronger than a car without it,

30,000 employees, produce 1800 cars a day, have a fire department and 3 full service stations

6 restaurants and serve 15,000 meals a day

OF 1800 CARS MADE EACH DAY, 1300 GO BY RAIL, 300 by train, 200 are picked up at factory

There is a vent behind left rear quarter panel to let air escape when you close a door or air pressure will be too great.

They crash almost a car a day to test for damage from accidents.

Actually E Classes are also made in Mexico, China, Malaysia, Thailand, India, and Egypt. All North American bound E's are made in Germany.

As for the vent behind the rear quarter, I believe all cars have those. They allow stale air to leave the car when the HVAC system is on.
    robr2 said:

You don't have to use a Microsoft Account to log into your computer. You can create a local account just like you had in the past:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-local-account-windows-10/

Windows 8 required the use of a Microsoft account. Just like Google and Apple, it was designed to make is easier for you to use any computer and get all your settings and apps.

I figure I'm stuck with this now. The comments on that article again describe people having problems doing what it recommends. I don't want to mess up whatever is going on there.

It really makes me hesitate about doing the upgrade on the machine I'm using right now.

driver100 said:

Did you ask them how Mike's E was built without the standard features it was supposed to have? ;)

> A car with a Panorama roof is stronger than a car without it

That's cool, learn something new every day. Now get rid of the pillars and give us a complete greenhouse. Well, maybe not down here. B)
    driver100 said:

Today we went on a tour of the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart.

Were you put up at the Sheraton in Sindelfingen? I've stayed there a number of times on company business, and learned after the fact that Mercedes recommends it for their "guests."

(Full story over at CCBA)

Oh no, you don't get to pull that over here. When I reported my punch on the Mustang over there a few months ago I referenced this board. They got all snippy with me and told me to post the story over there because they "couldn't be bothered" chasing over here to read it.

So post the whole story here mister! :@

(Full story over at CCBA) Oh no, you don't get to pull that over here. When I reported my punch on the Mustang over there a few months ago I referenced this board. They got all snippy with me and told me to post the story over there because they "couldn't be bothered" chasing over here to read it. So post the whole story here mister! :@
    You have me confused, OF.  Do you have some beef with CCBA about a recent post or what?  Could you be a little more specific?  I saw that henryn got a new F150 when I went over there to try to figure out what you meant by your post.  Still confused.

2021 Genesis G90

(Full story over at CCBA)

Oh no, you don't get to pull that over here. When I reported my punch on the Mustang over there a few months ago I referenced this board. They got all snippy with me and told me to post the story over there because they "couldn't be bothered" chasing over here to read it.

So post the whole story here mister! :@

Okay, you asked for it.

Part 1, the truck. Part 2, the deal and the aftermath.

Part 1:
    Okay, first the truck. No pictures yet, probably not until the weekend. It is “Bronze Fire Metallic”, looks very pretty to me.

I did quite a bit of reading (and viewing on youtube) of performance tests, and comparisons of the Ecoboost engines (3.5L and 2.7L) against the rest of the world. The 2.7L is indeed a mighty engine, it is faster in 0 to 60 and 1/8 mile tests than the 3.5L, which is in turn faster than the Ford 5.0L V8, which is in turn faster than the Chevy 5.3L V8.

You do give up about 3,000 lbs in towing capacity, but I am not going to be towing anything heavy, only a light trailer occasionally. This newer 2015 has the lighter aluminum body panels, and it does feel “lighter on it’s feet”, more maneuverable. The engine is very responsive, but I do miss the V8 sound. I’ll have to get used to that.

There is one series of videos on youtube, put up by “The Fast Lane Truck”. They pulled a 7,200 pound trailer up a mountain highway in Colorado, with the 2.7L, the 3.5L, and the Dodge diesel. Very surprisingly to me, the Dodge with the 3.0 diesel could not maintain the legal speed limit. Both of the Ford ecoboost engines could easily exceed the speed limit all of the way up the mountain.

And the gentleman doing the testing said the 2.7L engine felt livelier than the 3.5L, even with the 7,200 lb trailer attached.

This is a slightly upscale model from my 2013, has the bigger in dash screen and a rear view camera, which I absolutely love. How did we exist without backup cameras?

The 2.7L engine also comes with auto-stop-start, which I have barely noticed so far. There is a defeat button on the dash, but I’m not sure whether I will use it. The one time I noticed it, I was stopped, waiting to turn left. When traffic cleared, I tried to move the steering wheel as I was releasing the brake. The steering wheel didn’t want to move at first, and then suddenly it did respond, leaving me with a “WTH?” moment. And, then, of course, it occurred to me what had just happened.

Next post: The Deal, and The Aftermath!
    Part 2: The Deal and the Aftermath

This is not only the end of the month, but also the end of the quarter, and (almost) the end of the model year, so an excellent time to find deals.

I received $5,050 in rebates and incentives, and with the dealer discount, my final price was slightly more than $10k off of the MSRP of $41k. My 2013 brought $25,000 as a trade in, against an auction value of $26,000 (thanks to @qbrozen for the information). Which is about as expected, no surprises. And really quite nice, considering I only paid $26.1k 24 months ago, brand new. (Over $7k on rebates and incentives at that time).

The finance office had a new gimmick, one of the computer screens built into the desk top, with a touch interface. And there were many more papers, and many more signatures required, both electronic and ink. Which I now strongly suspect was a deliberate ploy. By the end of the process, I had lost track of what I was signing, what I had already signed, and just what the H-E-double-L was going on.

After I got home, I went over everything very thoroughly, and found a mysterious $700 charge. The line item said something about “xxxxx insurance”. So this morning, I was at their front door at 9 a.m. when they opened, and asked about this mysterious $700. Turns out to be “gap insurance”. Now get this, ladies and gentlemen: I financed a small amount, $14k, just in order to get their “finance incentive” ($750 if memory serves). $14k loan against a brand new truck with an MSRP of $41k, and they stick me with “gap insurance” to the tune of $700. Without telling me, without asking me, just stick it in the paperwork.

The Sales Manager tells me they will take care of it, right away. And we only have to change 1 paper, only 1 signature. I say, “No. We do it all again. Every bit of it. From beginning to end. And you explain every line on every document, every number, every single piece of paper.” Took about an hour, and two of the forms they had to call someone else to ask questions, no one at the dealership actually knew what they were doing.
    henryn said:
    Part 2: The Deal and the Aftermath This is not only the end of the month, but also the end of the quarter, and (almost) the end of the model year, so an excellent time to find deals. I received $5,050 in rebates and incentives, and with the dealer discount, my final price was slightly more than $10k off of the MSRP of $41k. My 2013 brought $25,000 as a trade in, against an auction value of $26,000 (thanks to @qbrozen for the information). Which is about as expected, no surprises. And really quite nice, considering I only paid $26.1k 24 months ago, brand new. (Over $7k on rebates and incentives at that time). The finance office had a new gimmick, one of the computer screens built into the desk top, with a touch interface. And there were many more papers, and many more signatures required, both electronic and ink. Which I now strongly suspect was a deliberate ploy. By the end of the process, I had lost track of what I was signing, what I had already signed, and just what the H-E-double-L was going on. After I got home, I went over everything very thoroughly, and found a mysterious $700 charge. The line item said something about “xxxxx insurance”. So this morning, I was at their front door at 9 a.m. when they opened, and asked about this mysterious $700. Turns out to be “gap insurance”. Now get this, ladies and gentlemen: I financed a small amount, $14k, just in order to get their “finance incentive” ($750 if memory serves). $14k loan against a brand new truck with an MSRP of $41k, and they stick me with “gap insurance” to the tune of $700. Without telling me, without asking me, just stick it in the paperwork. The Sales Manager tells me they will take care of it, right away. And we only have to change 1 paper, only 1 signature. I say, “No. We do it all again. Every bit of it. From beginning to end. And you explain every line on every document, every number, every single piece of paper.” Took about an hour, and two of the forms they had to call someone else to ask questions, no one at the dealership actually knew what they were doing.
    First of all, lots of luck with the new F150.  I know you will love it based on many positive reviews.  Sounds like you got a great deal (except for the gap insurance scam).

Gap insurance is usually a good idea when leasing a car (most leases include gap insurance) or when you put down very little on a loan - it's great protection for the buyer/lessee.  $700 is an outrageous charge for gap insurance.

It also sounds like you pushed back against the finance paperwork exactly as you should have.  

As as a previous sales manager at a dealership, I can tell you one of the biggest profit makers in the finance department is when the finance mgr. sells things like gap insurance or extended warranties.  Slipping that in was a scam.  Most banks that require gap insurance on loans state that in bold on the note you sign.  But there are so many other sources for loans that either include gap insurance at no charge or that do not require it.

I certainly would not buy a car from a dealership that pulled that stuff on me.

But you got a great truck!  Enjoy!!! :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    andres3 said:

How about just designing a test that actually measures emissions in real-world scenarios? I don't think that's too difficult. I always had an inkling that smog checks in CA were a scam and a waste of money, and this incident proves it.

Outside of strapping a large machine to the exhaust pipe of a car and driving it around town (something that would be logistically impossible when you want to test every car) there is not much you can do beyond what the EPA has. Basically they do laboratory tests that can be extrapolated into real world results and that can be repeated in testing in individual vehicles.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

suydam said:

Was going to get an all-in-one desktop, as I like having both, but not sure if I should do nothing & stay the course, buy a Windows 10 small all-in-one P C or get an Apple desktop and spend a lot. Just wish I had written down the number of the service pack the guy mentioned so I could try that first.

I always buy computers with a tower. I have no need to carry a laptop anymore and I use my iPad when I'm downstairs. Trying to convert from Windows 7 to 10 was a disaster for me and I am SO thankful that I was able to restore my Windows 7. Not just me. Other people I know ran into the same thing yet I know at least one person that went from 7 to 10 without a hitch. Go figure!
    I went from 7 to 10 without a hitch, a seamless transaction.

dino001 said:

However, things may get much worse, actual MSRP price cuts may have to follow in years to come. I heard multiple people saying VW may lose premium pricing (over domestic/Japanese popular brands) power altogether.

"If “everybody knows” such-and-such, then it ain’t so, by at least ten thousand to one." - Robert Heinlein

Are you sure it wasn't that you were watching "Uncle Buck"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ibO5kob3OQ

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited September 2015

dino001 said:

However, things may get much worse, actual MSRP price cuts may have to follow in years to come. I heard multiple people saying VW may lose premium pricing (over domestic/Japanese popular brands) power altogether.

"If “everybody knows” such-and-such, then it ain’t so, by at least ten thousand to one." - Robert Heinlein
    True. By now, it's still not "everybody", just yet.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Shifting into neutral would be the best, however I would turn of the ignition as a last resort. Turning of the ignition would lose you some things like power steering and brakes which you would need.

• He who cares least always wins the negotiation.

Are you sure it wasn't that you were watching "Uncle Buck"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ibO5kob3OQ
    LOL. Great film and best uncle ever. RIP, John Candy. You are truly missed.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    abacomike said:

If you log in with a MSN/Hotmail/Outlook/Microsoft account, your settings can be kept consistent/updated across devices. If you only have one machine, you are totally fine with a local account.

Pretty please, make sure you're prompted for a password. Don't set it up so that it automatically logs you in. You have a lot of information on your machine (pictures, personal info -- financial/medical, etc.) that you don't want other people seeing.
    I didn't ask but I thought about Mike's car. I can see how it could happen though. The cars have a sheet of paper on them as they come down the line. Paper has codes for models, and left or right hand drive, etc. Most areas have alarms if a part isn't right, but a piece of paper seems to be problematic, especially when a new model comes down the line.

The guide said each model could have a million permutations, basically no two cars are exactly the same, not sure if that is true but that is what he said.

Mike, if you are there, what was missing from your car?

driver100 said:

Today we went on a tour of the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart.

Were you put up at the Sheraton in Sindelfingen? I've stayed there a number of times on company business, and learned after the fact that Mercedes recommends it for their "guests."

Staying at Inter City at Stuttgart railway station. 25 minute subway ride, get off subway, get on free Mercedes Bus to factory...15 minute ride. We don't have a car so want to be in city, and it is October fest time.

Henryn, congratulations on your new F 150....sounds nice.

I like the way you caught that $700 gap insurance scam.

Since people can find the price of new cars and trade ins dealers have to get more creative. Gap insurance and asking for social insurance numbers seems to be 2 new tactics added to doc fees and mop n glo.

driver100 said:
    I didn't ask but I thought about Mike's car. I can see how it could happen though. The cars have a sheet of paper on them as they come down the line. Paper has codes for models, and left or right hand drive, etc. Most areas have alarms if a part isn't right, but a piece of paper seems to be problematic, especially when a new model comes down the line. The guide said each model could have a million permutations, basically no two cars are exactly the same, not sure if that is true but that is what he said. Mike, if you are there, what was missing from your car?
    Lane Tracking and Blind Spot Monitors.  Both are standard on th E400.

2021 Genesis G90

suydam said:

I went from 7 to 10 without a hitch, a seamless transaction.
    Same here - no issues what so ever.

Shifting into neutral would be the best, however I would turn of the ignition as a last resort. Turning of the ignition would lose you some things like power steering and brakes which you would need.
    Since most cars today have electric power steering, it's possible that it would still operate just fine.
    robr2 said:

Since most cars today have electric power steering, it's possible that it would still operate just fine.
    Yes--turn off the key for 3 seconds to stop the engine then turn the key back to ON without cranking the engine and all accessories, including power steering, are active again were the steering electric. The truck looked like an older Nissan to me which, however, probably has hydraulic steering. In that case, a moving truck would be easily steered without power assist. The brakes would work without the vacuum assist but require strong pressure.

Somehow this truck thing doesn't ring right as runaway. The dispatcher told the person things to do and he didn't do them if I remember the transcipt correctly. During the time people were talking about toyota's runaway acceleration, which most people seem to care little about now, there was a Prius driver whom the toyota folks ridiculed as faking runaway acceleration.

edited September 2015
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

I didn't ask but I thought about Mike's car. I can see how it could happen though. The cars have a sheet of paper on them as they come down the line. Paper has codes for models, and left or right hand drive, etc. Most areas have alarms if a part isn't right, but a piece of paper seems to be problematic, especially when a new model comes down the line.

The guide said each model could have a million permutations, basically no two cars are exactly the same, not sure if that is true but that is what he said.

Mike, if you are there, what was missing from your car?

Lane Tracking and Blind Spot Monitors.  Both are standard on th E400.

YOU'RE CAR MAY HAVE BEEN INTended FOR ANOTHER COUNTRY. They said they test every 6th car over a rough road to test for rattles. At no model time they test every car...to get it right. Your car got messed up because it was new model time. They actually have a double and triple check system, and every worker signs off on his work. I would guess it went into the computer wrong.