Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Houses cost too much!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,168
    They and other offshore "investors" also want a place to park often questionably obtained funds, something to gain ROI, and a place to flee if and when the axe falls at home - residency can be purchased for a relatively small amount of money, and our lawmaking class likes to turn a blind eye as to how money is obtained. These aren't real Horatio Alger stories at play.

Regarding the dome, that might be the downfall - 70s-80s residential construction "workmanship" (sarcastic quotes).
    gagrice said:

Can't really blame the Chinese that have money. At least they will have clean air to breathe while they are here. Though I question their choosing Los Angeles to invest. That city is becoming a giant catchall. I got an acre+ of paradise I would sell them for a million bucks. Nice neighbors and pristine air. No traffic jams even during rush hour. Great produce store less than 2 miles away. One of my neighbors is selling his mini mcmansion for less than the average price the Chinese are paying.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1031-Khish-Ln-Alpine-CA-91901/16905583_zpid/

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Regarding the dome, that might be the downfall - 70s-80s residential construction "workmanship" (sarcastic quotes).

You are correct on homes built in the 1970-80s. Some very shoddy practices. I remember one contractor that got run out of San Diego county, ended up in Anchorage AK. He built a whole string of concrete slab, CA style houses and sold them cheap around 1971-72. By the 1990s they were all torn down as the slabs cracked. 100s of homes here in San Diego built in the 1960s did not have any steel in the slabs. My brother in law had to tear his entire slab out and replace it.

Here is the place for Stever to get that perfect air his wife needs. It is a bargain. Not to mention Kaiser operates a hospital on the Big Island.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/92-8477-Bougainvillaea-Dr-Ocean-View-HI-96704/2108914655_zpid/
    It's the same in the PNW - I see a lot of 70s and 80s era developments that are looking pretty sad today. Kind of a shame, as I like the style of some building from that era. Many older neighborhoods have fared better. My grandmother's early 60s house seems to have better materials than later ones I've looked at.

Hawaii would be more of a place to visit than live, for me. The humidity would get to me, and I kind of like things cool.
    edited November 2015
    Humidity is not a problem, but it is warm year round. low of 60 at night, low 80s during the days. Hilo has a constant trade winds of 4-5 MPH. It never gets humid like the Midwest, South or Florida. It can seem confining for some people. Very old Hawaii laid back. You don't want to get in a hurry to get anything done. They have perfected the art of "Manana".
    Don't think I could deal with it. I'd rather retire to small town western WA/OR or maybe even east of the mountains. Cost of living is still OK in many places, and the climate is good.
    I am looking in that same direction. I don't want snow and cold. Which the further North the more you get. SW Oregon is looking better for many reasons. I think WA is a bit better tax wise for us because of the 9.9% income tax in OR. Maybe suburban Vancouver WA, where you can cross over to shop in Oregon with no sales tax. We paid the state of CA about $17k in taxes last year. With a nice home in Coquille Oregon we would cut our taxes and utility expenses by about $5k per year. This looks good to me.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/94022-Covey-Ln-Coquille-OR-97423/2100672676_zpid/
    As long as you are west of the mountains, snow is seldom an issue. Sure it will be colder in Bellingham than Medford, but real snow is uncommon outside of maybe once or twice a year for a short time. East, places like Spokane or Bend can get dumped on, but they are used to it.

I've heard they just love transplants from California in Oregon ;)
    gagrice said:

I am looking in that same direction. I don't want snow and cold. Which the further North the more you get. SW Oregon is looking better for many reasons. I think WA is a bit better tax wise for us because of the 9.9% income tax in OR. Maybe suburban Vancouver WA, where you can cross over to shop in Oregon with no sales tax. We paid the state of CA about $17k in taxes last year. With a nice home in Coquille Oregon we would cut our taxes and utility expenses by about $5k per year. This looks good to me.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/94022-Covey-Ln-Coquille-OR-97423/2100672676_zpid/

I don't think Oregonians like transplants from anywhere. I have spent a quite a bit of time in Medford when my folks lived in the area. Way too hot in the Summer. After following the weather this last Summer up to Salem, I am not sure I would like it. Though it is a short drive to the coast from most anywhere I would want to live. We looked at a couple places up near Salem when we were there in April. I would not go any further North than that. Out around Silverton is very nice. I have several towns on my weather map I follow most days. Two or three inches of snow that melts right off I can live with. Not interested in shoveling my way out of the garage, ever again. We looked at this place in Salem. Way over priced, though it is coming down. The snow picture is kind of a turnoff for me. Unless it was on Christmas morning. Big draw was Kaiser and Costco less than 3 miles away.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5320-State-St-Salem-OR-97317/80483580_zpid/
    That's a very cool house, and the outbuilding looks amazing too. Maybe more square footage and acreage than I would want in retirement. Zillow gives a much lower estimate as I am sure you noticed, so no doubt it will keep coming down.

There are a lot of hills in the Salem area, maybe that has something to do with it, and it is on the border of the cold Columbia River outflow in winter that can make suburban Portland an icy mess. I wouldn't want to live too close to Portland either - it somehow has a greener friendlier image, but it is just as much of a rat race as Seattle, and becoming just as expensive, too.
    Talk about high priced homes. The Feds are getting in on the Chinese wealth. You can buy a Visa for a million bucks.

The community, described by the builder as “a unique development that will be one of a kind in Corinth,” will certainly be a far cry from the wrinkled jeans-and-cowboy-hat society of Canyon Lake Ranch. Long Lake is a gated and guarded Chinese-themed community marketed in China to ultra-rich Chinese nationals interested in contributing a million dollars to a U.S. government-sponsored visa program as an expedited way to obtain American citizenship, secure an advanced education for their children and diversify their investments outside of China.
    The luxury homes are available for anyone to purchase but are being marketed and sold in China as part of the federal government’s EB-5 visa program.
    “The EB-5 investment is completely separate from the purchase,” says Vivian Tsou, Lelege’s president and chief operation officer, explaining that the million-dollar investment does not guarantee or pay for a home in the Long Lake community.

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20150321-lake-draws-dreams.ece

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/business/international/chinese-cash-floods-us-real-estate-market.html?_r=0
    edited November 2015
    Just don't ask where the money comes from. The means used to acquire it would land one in jail if performed here, but dirt vanishes if obtained elsewhere.

Buying residency is a key reason real estate is hot in my area too - people escaping just in case the axe falls back home in the kleptocracy
    edited June 2016
    Anyone think the housing market is down? This is what you can get in San Diego for a million bucks. 1928 craftsman style home with 1464 sq ft on a postage stamp sized 7500 sq ft lot. No view, no pool. Single car garage and no off street parking. Have to find your own dream home, this one is sold.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4346-Witherby-St-San-Diego-CA-92103/16951239_zpid/
    edited June 2016
    That old house at least has character - if someone gave it to me, I wouldn't complain.

Here's a million dollars in my zipcode:

http://www.windermere.com/listing/WA/Bellevue/737-99th-Ave-NE-98004/43820487

50/50 chance it is bought by sketchy offshore money.

This disco era gem is only 1.1MM:

http://www.windermere.com/listing/WA/Bellevue/10607-NE-19th-Place-98004/43770290

Definitely not slowing in this area:

https://www.redfin.com/blog/2016/06/denver-seattle-and-portland-are-the-hottest-markets-of-2016.html

I don't even want to look at recent "sold" listings.
    I guess that is why we have 92 recently sold and only 12 homes in my area on the market. San Diego is still a buyers bargain market. A million dollar tear down with a tiny 8600 sq ft lot. Mind boggling. You see those crazy prices in San Francisco and Los Angeles. Prices in Hilo area of Hawaii are still relatively sane. Brand new luxury homes in the very beautiful area by Hilo's great little zoo seem so bargain priced.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1514-Kaualehua-Pl-LOT-Y6-Hilo-HI-96720/2100146052_zpid/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=emo-propalert-image&rtoken=4cbf105f-017c-4adb-b3df-099b9999274d~X1-ZUyw47n4pa9fk9_5i26a

What would a home with ocean view cost in your area. This one did not last long on the market. I love the Hawaii property taxes. Under $1500 a year for this beauty.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15-Kahoa-St-Hilo-HI-96720/557581_zpid/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=emo-propalert-image&rtoken=dd3b997e-b2fe-4fa4-b63f-91222786948d~X1-ZUyw47n4pa9fk9_5i26a

This will be what we look for if we decide it is time to sell out here and move.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15-1093-Ala-Heiau-Rd-Keaau-HI-96749/537072_zpid/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=emo-propalert-button&rtoken=a4887d3f-073f-4d57-a57c-714c6bb9b75d~X1-ZUyw47n4pa9fk9_5i26a

Or buy this and move the whole family to Hawaii. I may try and stay here when I get my wife motivated to fly again.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/28-3514-Hawaii-Belt-Rd-Honomu-HI-96728/2103705749_zpid/
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We're still shopping. Our saving grace, price wise, is that everyone thinks living so close to the border (an hour away, lol) is way too dangerous. It's not quite San Diego weather, but it's darn nice. Hopefully all the snowbirds continue to gravitate to Phoenix and Tucson.

We looked at a house earlier in the week in Mesilla, and the detached garage wasn't even locked. And the owner had a huge Sears toolbox and all sorts of yard equipment just sitting there. The few crooks that are around just go around trying doorknobs, since plenty of people don't bother locking stuff up.
    Hawaii could be cool, I could spend a long time watching the volcanoes, but it might not have the best employment prospects. If I am lucky enough to be able to retire, I will probably head east of the mountains - just a little cold in the winter, property is generally affordable, I like the scenery, I have a little family there, etc. Or maybe a smaller town in the west, but some are much better than others.

What gets me most about that teardown house is that it sold for 53K in 1988 (it's also on the corner of a fairly busy street, not a tranquil location). The 70s house sold for 200K in 1993. Both are now seven figures. I sincerely doubt either will be worth 5-10x + their present asking price in another 20-25 years. And don't dare ask where the money is coming from, it's not all Californicators, maybe not even the majority.
    stever said:

We're still shopping. Our saving grace, price wise, is that everyone thinks living so close to the border (an hour away, lol) is way too dangerous. It's not quite San Diego weather, but it's darn nice. Hopefully all the snowbirds continue to gravitate to Phoenix and Tucson.

We looked at a house earlier in the week in Mesilla, and the detached garage wasn't even locked. And the owner had a huge Sears toolbox and all sorts of yard equipment just sitting there. The few crooks that are around just go around trying doorknobs, since plenty of people don't bother locking stuff up.

I would look in your area before either Tuscon or Phoenix. Our trip to Cottonwood was with a change in mind. It is not the proximity to the border as it is the gang activity in the cities. Tuscon & Phoenix have serious crime issues. The bigger the city, the worse the crime. I like Prescott Valley though it is higher elevation. Much less crime than most of the SW. It is slightly more expensive also. Cheapest diesel at Costco.
    fintail said:

Hawaii could be cool, I could spend a long time watching the volcanoes, but it might not have the best employment prospects. If I am lucky enough to be able to retire, I will probably head east of the mountains - just a little cold in the winter, property is generally affordable, I like the scenery, I have a little family there, etc. Or maybe a smaller town in the west, but some are much better than others.

What gets me most about that teardown house is that it sold for 53K in 1988 (it's also on the corner of a fairly busy street, not a tranquil location). The 70s house sold for 200K in 1993. Both are now seven figures. I sincerely doubt either will be worth 5-10x + their present asking price in another 20-25 years. And don't dare ask where the money is coming from, it's not all Californicators, maybe not even the majority.

I am like you, so many places appeal to me on different levels. With the craziness in this world, the smaller towns are even more appealing. I really wanted to like the Waco to Tyler area of TX. That June trip was beautiful EXCEPT for the bugs. They must spray a lot around the lakes as the mosquitoes were piled up around the homes we looked at that had not been lived in for a while.

The tear downs to me are beyond belief. My son in law sold his mom's place in Austin TX when she passed away. It was a quarter acre right in town. The family cleared about $300k and the home was torn down. They built a McMansion that sold for $900k. Looking at real estate in Austin, makes San Diego seem cheap. Hard to find much under a million and they are HUUUGE. 5,000 sq ft seems to be the median size. A home my size on the lake in Austin is $3 Million and up.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1503-Manana-St-Austin-TX-78730/29342307_zpid/
    edited June 2016
    I am sure I could be relatively happy in many areas, but some are better than others. I am generally most comfortable in the PNW, as I have always lived here, I know the area, and it has plenty of scenic variety from beaches to desert. The generally good employment situation here now and likely for the foreseeable future doesn't hurt either. However, being a single income virtually prevents me from owning a detached house in a non-demilitarized zone within a reasonable commuting distance. Most condos I see combined the worst aspects of renting and owning. I know almost nobody in my general age demographic who owns and didn't receive help, sometimes substantial. You'll need a couple of six figure incomes to even think of pulling it off without a gift, unless they want to put every penny into the house and not have savings, retirement funds, cars, vacations, clothes, food, etc.

3MM for a house in Texas? I'll have to take a rain check. I am sure it is cool, but there are other places I would rather be, and lots of nice enough cheaper houses there. I have no desire for lakefront or 5000 sq ft either. I don't get the monster house fetish, unless someone has 8 kids.
    gagrice said:

I am like you, so many places appeal to me on different levels. With the craziness in this world, the smaller towns are even more appealing. I really wanted to like the Waco to Tyler area of TX. That June trip was beautiful EXCEPT for the bugs. They must spray a lot around the lakes as the mosquitoes were piled up around the homes we looked at that had not been lived in for a while.

The tear downs to me are beyond belief. My son in law sold his mom's place in Austin TX when she passed away. It was a quarter acre right in town. The family cleared about $300k and the home was torn down. They built a McMansion that sold for $900k. Looking at real estate in Austin, makes San Diego seem cheap. Hard to find much under a million and they are HUUUGE. 5,000 sq ft seems to be the median size. A home my size on the lake in Austin is $3 Million and up.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1503-Manana-St-Austin-TX-78730/29342307_zpid/

fintail3MM for a house in Texas? I'll have to take a rain check. I am sure it is cool, but there are other places I would rather be, and lots of nice enough cheaper houses there. I have no desire for lakefront or 5000 sq ft either. I don't get the monster house fetish, unless someone has 8 kids.

Austin has nothing that I desire. The high prices caught my attention. Another negative to TX is very high property taxes. 2% or higher. If you paid full price on that Austin house your taxes would be in the $60k per year neighborhood. If you like the PNW, WA is better than OR. No income tax and you can find reasonable prices in many areas. Living just across the river from Portland would give you the best of both states.

I really like having 3,000 sq ft on one level. Much easier to be organized and keep an open guest bedroom. One room is for when the grandkids visit. They keep their toys all in that room. I don't think I would like down sizing.
    Texas doesn't really have a whole lot that I can't get here other than cheaper detached housing, but often there is a reason for that. Property taxes here are lower, but in many areas values are so high that it evens out - even moderately high end houses in my area can have bills of 1K/month. The tax situation is funny, and is no doubt why Vancouver WA is as large as it is. WA doesn't have income tax, but the sales tax is pretty high, and therefore regressive.

I don't think I would ever need more than 2000 sq ft, or even less. When I was a kid we only ever had one house near 3000 sq ft, and it seemed immense. Even a 2000 sq ft house was more than ample. Once they hit a certain size, it is just more space to heat/cool and clean. Larger ones really add to the profit margins of developers anyway.
    gagrice said:

Austin has nothing that I desire. The high prices caught my attention. Another negative to TX is very high property taxes. 2% or higher. If you paid full price on that Austin house your taxes would be in the $60k per year neighborhood. If you like the PNW, WA is better than OR. No income tax and you can find reasonable prices in many areas. Living just across the river from Portland would give you the best of both states.

I really like having 3,000 sq ft on one level. Much easier to be organized and keep an open guest bedroom. One room is for when the grandkids visit. They keep their toys all in that room. I don't think I would like down sizing.

edited June 2016
    Gee whiz what a surprise

I think it's to the point where in-migration can stop now. We're full.
    fintail said:

Gee whiz what a susprise

I think it's to the point where in-migration can stop now. We're full.

They don't mention who the buyers are. I would say number one, fat cats from CA, looking for better taxes. I am sure China buyers play a big role also. Fear of earthquakes and drought could push some north to WA. As much as I like Oregon they are not much improvement on Income and property taxes over CA.
    I definitely think it is a huge amount of institutional and offshore money involved, especially in the upper end and teardown and redevelop market. For the latter, few will dare discuss who the buyers are or where the money comes from. Between here and Vancouver BC, there are so many empty houses and condos just being held, too, time to implement gigantic taxes on vacant dwellings.

We have no income tax here, but lots of other taxes, some of them regressive, to compensate.
    gagrice said:

They don't mention who the buyers are. I would say number one, fat cats from CA, looking for better taxes. I am sure China buyers play a big role also. Fear of earthquakes and drought could push some north to WA. As much as I like Oregon they are not much improvement on Income and property taxes over CA.

edited August 2016
    Today I went to an estate sale (didn't find much but it was fun digging arounnd) in a 40s style bungalow on an uneven quarter acre lot that the county calls something like "nuisance topography". 1958 price - 13K. It just sold for 880K, land value only. Just slightly more than incomes have increased, yep, this should be good.

Also another estate sale here - wonderful house, likely one owner, time warp dream. Awesome building with a location to match, but the price shows the reality here.

May be coming down. Just read that some of the prime places are taking a nose dive. Who knows you may get that place at a bargain $2 million. It started at the beginning of this year and keeps getting worse, for those selling at least. Looks like we may have some buying opportunities.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-property-hamptons-idUSKCN0WJ151

Down, Down, Down

"I’ve Never Seen Anything Like This Before" - The Housing Markets In The Hamptons, Aspen And Miami Are All Crashing

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-27/“i’ve-never-seen-anything-housing-markets-hamptons-aspen-and-miami-are-all-crashing
    The west coast is a lot trendier for "investors" from certain regions, I think.

I like that the ZH article mentions money laundering as a key factor - which is is. Few people want to admit this, not to mention address it or do anything to curtail it. I won't believe anything is changing until Vancouver and Seattle start to see a change.
    edited December 2016
    fintail said:
    Just read this morning that BC is making Owner Builders pass a Contractor's license test before the can build their own home. It all raises the price of housing. We are back above when the bubble burst and an acute shortage of properties for sale. Rents are crazy here also.
    Seeing some of the shoddy work out there, I can't say I think that's a bad thing. Building standards and quality are hilarious on this continent. When something costs a million dollars, a test/fee that is what, $500 (?) isn't material.

Our new dear leader claims to represent normal people, but I doubt he will do anything about this issue. The US historically doesn't do much about money laundering and shady investments. IMO, foreign purchases should have a tax even greater than what exists in BC, and vacant housing bought by said "investors" should also be taxed heavily if unoccupied. We need infrastructure, let the gilded few who are fleeing before the axe falls at home help pay for it.

I think youngish people in this area easily have the least affordable housing in history - and the ones before who could buy when it cost nothing moan about the whine of their successors. Ugh.
    gagrice said:

Just read this morning that BC is making Owner Builders pass a Contractor's license test before the can build their own home. It all raises the price of housing. We are back above when the bubble burst and an acute shortage of properties for sale. Rents are crazy here also.

This house I pass every day going to the store. Not as tiny as the one above. Rumor has it they spent more building it. The Ocean view is the same as mine, 35 miles away. You can bet the taxes will jump to about $45,000 a year if you decide to buy this one. Probably a public school teacher owns it. Only ones around here that can afford this place. B)

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3012-Via-Viejas-Oeste-Alpine-CA-91901/17059981_zpid/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=emo-propalert-button&rtoken=190aa596-eb76-4007-a50a-0b164b9034e8~X1-ZUyw47n4pa9fk9_5i26a
    Now here is the real kicker, another building boom. In San Diego the problem is buildable lots. Of course the $100k building permits are a problem as well.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/15/homebuilder-sentiment-spikes-7-points-trump-has-them-feeling-fantastic.html
    That 4.5MM house. No thanks - I could get something more visually pleasing for that price even in this inflated-via-money-laundering market. Nice view, not a pretty house. Simply heating and cooling 11000 sq ft sounds insane, not to mention maintaining it. Quality > quantity.

Regarding the boom, I have a sick feeling we're going to have a hot economy for a year or two and then another crash of 2008 proportions. It's already overheated in a lot of areas, and I don't know if the Fed can cool it. Real estate will be involved, too.

If anything, IMO, there should be taxes on offshore purchases, especially as the authorities have no desire to actually see where money is coming from.

I think the tax collectors are happy to have expensive homes sold. Of course every time they get sold the tax revenue increases. Except when we have a crash. I will be looking hard for a home in Hawaii next Spring. I am hoping the upward trend is still there. Right now Zillow shows my place about $100k higher than we paid in 2007. By next Summer I am hoping to get out of CA. Oregon is so close behind CA in taxes, I don't see us moving there. Trying to follow your kids is not always a smart thing.
    I think that's why a blind eye is given to the source of the funds - don't want to cut off that sweet sweet revenue, not to mention how it subsidizes real estate cabal salaries.

CA seems like a cool place to visit, don't know if I would want to live there. Probably not the best place to retire. I am sure many can say the same for where I live now, where taxes aren't particularly low either. On the other hand, I've know of some relatively low amenity areas like Texas and the southeast where rates aren't low either - but prices are low.
    What a person has to decide is what is most important to him. Some people just don't do well unless they have family around. Others want good weather. Some like Stever, well who knows his moves are strange? From an over all tax stand point WA is one of the better places for retirees. Maybe not in the Seattle area as housing is crazy. My Brother in Law lives down in Ocean Park on that little spit.. They do most of their shopping in Astoria that has a Costco. 30 mile drive every couple weeks. No income tax and reasonable property tax. No sales tax in Oregon. Only high cost for them is HC insurance until his wife goes on Medicare. Not many places in the US where you can buy a fairly new home with ocean front for $375k.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/34603-F-Pl-Ocean-Park-WA-98640/2105317817_zpid/
    My dad initially went to the coast at retirement, but couldn't deal with the weather. A place like Ocean Park (not too far from where he lived) will be really damp and gloomy for about 9 months out of the year, and probably receives 100% more rain than Seattle. You have to like that stuff to survive. The property is very cheap though. He had a newer house 3 blocks from the beach, and it was well under 200K.

WA isn't bad outside of Seattle, but taxation here is fairly regressive. Eastern WA draws in a lot of retirees, along with less crowded western WA areas - but many aren't the most prosperous either. If one is from Seattle or Orange County etc, there will be adjustments.
    In my quest to find the perfect place to settle, areas of WA were considered. Ocean Park was not one of them. Though we did visit and enjoyed some nice Sept weather. You have to enjoy having a rain coat on most of the year. They have had a couple storms that left them without electricity for a week. Big fir trees blown flat helped convince me that cheap land and no income taxes are not everything. Eastern and Central WA have some nice areas as well. Too cold in the Winter and I don't plan to shovel snow again. I love just getting in the Touareg and going. Not so much for my wife. So we will see as we can survive here fine. I think the only place my wife would move is to Hilo Hawaii.
    edited December 2016
    If one is a snowbird, the WA coast might not be bad. Stay from maybe April or May-October, go elsewhere in the winter. If you get down around the Tri-Cities, winter is a lot less severe, but it is an oven in the summer, so you'd want to go elsewhere for a while. Sometimes land is cheap for a reason. I look at all of the nice houses for 200K in the south, and think about the reasons.

In a way, like the old joke:

The young economist looks down and sees a $20 bill on the street and says, “Hey, look a twenty-dollar bill!”
    Without even looking, his older and wiser colleague replies, “Nonsense. If there had been a twenty-dollar lying on the street, someone would have already picked it up by now.”

If it was a true bargain, it probably wouldn't still be around.

Problem with HI is there aren't a ton of highways for the Touareg :)
    Very true, and the Big Island does not have a VW dealer for service and repair. Not a practical vehicle for HI. Not to mention diesel is a lot more expensive in HI. Probably end up with a PU like my Frontier. May even ship it over. Used vehicles are expensive in the Islands.
    Maybe you could open a side business flipping cars from CA to HI :)

I heard this project is nearing completion - noteworthy because it IMO acts as a vehicle for sketchy-at-best money to come ashore for cleaning, and for residency to be purchased at the same time. This kind of thing does not help the insane local real estate market - more empty units to sit alongside all of the vacant expensive condos and houses in my area. We are becoming Vancouver, and not in a good way.
    What has happened in downtown San Diego is high rise apt hell. All subsidized by the Feds. The catch of course is low cost housing has to be provided. They opened one 45 story building and the first residents are paying full rent $2000-$5400 a month. Problem is the section 8 renters are not the best of neighbors. What was supposed to be a secure parking garage has been opened up for anyone to pay to park. The beautiful green belt is now a homeless camp ground. Whacked out people in the lobby are not the most pleasant thing to come home to. Many 1 star reviews. Great views and high rents for working people. Of course the managers could care less, they get the same amount from the Feds with S8 renters as those that can afford the full price. Two more going up right now. All on the tax payers backs.

http://www.pinnacleonthepark.com/
    I'd imagine the normal rent paying residents then simply leave. It's a little different here, there's definitely socio-economic segmentation by geography - and there aren't many really "bad" areas compared to other cities in the country. Even the rougher areas are usually pretty tame.

Publicly subsidized high rises here that mix (manipulated) market rate and Section 8 renters aren't common here, and I think the few that have existed have been via developers lobbying government, rather than the government blindly issuing handouts. But it should be OK, the coming trickle down wave will create more than enough funds to pay for everything B)
    If we do not find a place we like in Hawaii this May, it will likely be Nevada for us. The wife loves the desert and we can double what we have for less than our home will sell for. Check out this place. I will include a google map shot of it. I'm surprised Stever did not look here.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5600-N-Leslie-Pahrump-NV-89060/2096860470_zpid/

I like this one also and I could buy it before we sell this place. A lot of house for the money. Keep both until we are settled. Planning a two day trip out next month to look over the place.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2851-Winchester-Ave-Pahrump-NV-89048/62707075_zpid/?z7&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=emo-savedhomeremind-image
    edited January 2017
    I like the second place more - the first seems like too much to take care of. Really, even 2000 sq ft would be more than enough for me. I have no desire for a huge house. Also, I know the "zestimate" can be off, but the first one is a bit optimistic in comparison.

The first one does look cool from the air though, appears to have a little dirtbike track or something behind it, would be fun.

NV might be nice in the winter, summer could get a little balmy - but maybe not a big stretch from inland SD.
    A couple areas on that google map shot I was trying to figure out. The track almost looks like it has places for people to stand. Maybe a radio control race track. That place is way more than I would want to maintain. A couple places have big detached garages that appeal to me. This place was bought in foreclosure last year. Looks like they gave it a complete remodel. Not attracted to the black and white motif. But look at all the garages. How many Mercedes can you afford.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3331-Winchester-Ave-Pahrump-NV-89048/62707217_zpid/
    edited January 2017
    I don't want to maintain a house now, I can't imagine how less I would want to do it in 25 years.

Is the second one a flip? 2x the prior sales price in under a year - seems optimistic. I don't know how many old cars I would want - maybe a few for frequent drives in the nice sun, although the 199F average summer temperature might get old fairly fast. All of that land would make good parts car storage too, I am sure the zoning people would ignore it B)

Here are a couple typical listings in my zipcode, what bargains:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1641-108th-Ave-SE-Bellevue-WA-98004/48956805_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10008-NE-16th-Pl-Bellevue-WA-98004/48837733_zpid/
    First one has too many floors. I am into single story approximately 3k sq ft.

The second is a mind boggler. That is about the size of home I own in Evansville, Indiana that I cannot get rid of for $65,000. Same size home and quarter acre lot. Something mighty fishy about the whole thing. County still has it appraised at $599k which is still crazy high. Looking at others in that vicinity, they are just crazy priced. And building more McMansions for someone with lots of loot. This place doesn't even have a view of the water.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9831-NE-19th-St-Bellevue-WA-98004/48854373_zpid/
    edited January 2017
    I don't mind two story. My ideal house design is a two story with the ground floor being garage and play area, with living quarters above. 1500 sq ft on each floor would be more than enough. Good thing I am single. Of course, in this area, detached houses within reasonable commutes of most jobs are out of reach of most of my demographic, so it is moot. I don't need a ton of land either, if I had it, I would need a large outbuilding, because I would start accumulating parts cars, and the city/county would eventually be upset B)

That mcmansion is pretty bad, and knowing that area, a 1950s bungalow that sold for 20K in 1965 (or 80K in 1985) was sitting on the lot before money moved in. Greater chance than not that it will sell to offshore cash buyers who go through no financial vetting upon arrival. Definitely no waterfront on the east shore of Lake Washington for that money, although maybe some views if one wants a more simple house.

I still crack up at the weekly reviews on this site so much tacky stuff out there, proving that money can be inversely proportional to taste and sense, and a lot of it making that local mcmansion look like something by Wright or Le Corbusier.