Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Suspension

Comments

• a11m1ghtya11m1ghty Member Posts: 10
    YES!!!!!! No doubt about it!

It still rides like the AIR suspension. Only issue is if you have the "Kneel Down option" on your truck you will forever get a "Check Suspension" error when you start your truck (Like mine does).

The conversion kit is nothing more than Ford Expedition replacement struts (Coil spring with a shock insert). Nothing more. It's like calling a pencil a "Number 2 graphite writing utensil" and charging +$200 more for it.
  • panthers76panthers76 Member Posts: 10
    Converting the suspension from Air bag to Strut was the best thing we did with our Navigator. We are very happy with the conversion and would do it again. There is no noticeable difference in the ride.

Good Luck
    BTW, I just called Strutmasters and confirmed that there still is not a permanent fix for the "Kneel Down" option/Check Suspension error light yet. However, they said check back in several weeks as they have several Nav's in house that there are performing tests on and hope to FINALLY have it resolved.
  • fordfighterfordfighter Member Posts: 3
    I am fairly certain that your navigator's problem is the "air suspension control module". I tried digging a hole big enough to bury my wife's navigator, but there are too many laws against it! My navigator has more parts from O'reilly's and blood and skin from my fingers than I care to remember, but it finally paid off! It started with a dropped front passenger, then a blown compressor, followed by a dropped back side, and finally a full lowrider. I did the same thing that you did by trying to bypass the relay, but learned the hard way that doing this too many times can blow your compressor! The control module is under the dash behind the foot throttle and held in place with 2 bolts. Unfortunately, it can only be bought from the Ford house, and you, guessed it, have to get it programmed at the Ford house. Again, I had the exact same situation that you have, and I finally figured it out myself. I rebuilt the entire suspension system myself for $1800 dollars and now it rides like a brand new Navigator! P.S. When you take it in to be installed and programmed, don't drive away until you turn it off and on once or twice to make sure that it drops and lift to a proper and even height. They have to program it just right to level it and that is what you are paying for. I hope this helps you and let me now if you have any questions. At this point, I know more about the suspension than every Ford "MECHANIC" I have spoken with. Sorry for the long reply
  • mr2003navmanmr2003navman Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2003 Lincoln navigator which i ve had parked for 5-6 years. The issue I am having is that the dash board doesn't light up. The gauges at one point did illuminate (red) but not the dash board (Back round) . Also the entire truck has lost air in the suspension and is sitting on the ground. I was told by a service repair facility (gas station) that there is a bad sensor that is not keeping the system raised. Lastly, the A/C stopped working. No cold air would come out but heat is okay. I had the system recharged and this did nothing.

My questions are:

Is the compressor the issue with the A/C?

Is there a bad sensor of some sort and what is the part number?

Do I need to replace the dash board or should it be re built?

And are these common issues with these vehicles?

I welcome any and all input..

S. Blackmon
  • cissicissi Member Posts: 9
    Hello
    I was the one who started this thread for a couple of years ago. When I had problem with the suspension on my Lincoln Navigator ultimate 2004 . Now it have happened again. And in Sweden where I live its very difficult, since there isn't many of this cars here . This is whats happened , for two years ago it was the compressor, so we changed it. Now the compressor has again been broken. Burned this time. So the front is on the wheels . My garage changed it but still it want lift. And they doesnt know what the problem is. Before the compressor got broken I had a warning sign about I think it stood something like, error on avdtrack or something likely. And then it seemed like the brakes took in when I started the car for maybe 30-40 sekunds, and the car went very slowly . Then it started correctly .I belive that has something with the 4x ? But anyway if someone has an idea why it doesnt lift after changing the compressor , please tell me. Hope very much for many answers since the garage want to try any advice they can get.
  • aquaphor7aquaphor7 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 4x4 the rear was sagging, therefore replaced the sensor (behind light) only to find that the problem happened again, switch the sensor again, same problem happen...so now everytime my airbags go out i have to crawl under the truck, disconnect the sensor, replace it, wiggle the wire, turn the bags on & off (passenger floor) start the car to see if the bags fill up, if not i have to repeat the above steps. Once the bags are filled sometimes im good for a few days and sometime the bags wont stay filled throught a simple trip, therefore i have to pull over & crawl under. Can someone please help me with this headache? Im guessing i have some type of shortage problem. Is it worth trying to find the shortage (if any) ? Or will it be easier converting to springs? If so convert all 4 or just rear? Not sure if i have airbags on rear & front

Help please
  • fordfighterfordfighter Member Posts: 3
    The problem is usually a short in the harness for the relay. If you noticed that the front suspension was usually very high before the compressor went out, then the problem is more than likely the Suspension Control Module. The module is located behind the brake pedal and is held in place by 2 small bolts. It isn't a very expensive part, but like most Ford parts, it has to be calibrated at the dealership.
  • cissicissi Member Posts: 9
    Thank you so much for the answer, I have sent it over to the garage who have had the car since November now :mad: really hope it can be this. Just before it went down it, kind of "jumped" . And when I stopped it at home , it would not get up again. This is the second time in a short time the compressor broke . This time they said it burned. I got as told this error message 14 days in front. But I thought it was only something with the 4x4 . hmm well thanks again and I hope it is it. :)

kind regars
    Cissi
  • ralphtt89ralphtt89 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the warning?!??!? I read on this forum that Strutmasters does't have a solution, and nowhere else does either that I've found! Even completestruts.com where I bought it says the same thing!!!! They said there is no permanent solution to the warning message!!!! They are nice struts but I need to turn off the message.

It's not a big deal just annoying. Anything is better than dealing with air ride problems and repairs, though lol.

Any ideas let me know- I'm gonna post on as many forums as I can and then if i get an answer i will let every forum know because this is a common question for us all.

THX-
    RTT
  • angryreddragonangryreddragon Member Posts: 1
    FYI completestruts.com posted the solution to the ride light problem for the lincoln navigators and ford expeditions. check out their website- it didn't seem to complicated when i read through it.
    angryreddragon! You may have found the holy grail. These instructions (@ completestruts.com) are far more detailed (And makes sense) than the ones at Strutmasters.com sends when you buy their struts. I'll try this tonight and report back.

THANKS!!!!
  • cleveman77cleveman77 Member Posts: 1
    Any word back on this? did the instructions work? i haven't tried them yet i was wondering if you have.
    Sorry, kids playing softball and chores had consumed my time. I did notice that the electrical connector on one of my fronts had ripped off. I've had to rig up connectors for testing. But have yet to test it. This weekend I hope. I'll keep everyone posted.
  • georgiepodgiegeorgiepodgie Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2004 Lincoln Nav 4X4 with problems involving
    the air suspensions for which I have spent a considerable
    sum of money for repairs during the past 2 years. Now the
    problem is back again.

Is it okay to remove and replace air suspension with regular suspension
    without compromising its integrity and smooth ride?

Thank you.

George Asuega
    Ok, I followed the directions and have to report back that it did NOT turn off my "Check Suspension error" message. Each time I tried it, I disconnected the neg battery cable for +10 minutes.

I can't say it does not work, it just didn't work for me. :(
  • ovg2001ovg2001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Navi. Everytime I hit a bump the suspension makes a squeking noise. It's really bad in the fro t end of my navi. What can I do to fix this problem?
  • garba79garba79 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    love my 2003 Navi, hate my air suspension! After paying two different Ford service depts to get it off my tires, on two different occassions, within 2 years, I decided to convert to the strutmasters, but don't have any idea where to take it in Las Vegas to have it done. Please advise..........Thanks Garba :confuse
  • easygoeasygo Member Posts: 3
    The air suspension system with the Navigators, especially, because they are so much heavier than the car models, are notorious for failing. it is either the compressor or the air bags or both. The replaced compressors fail in a relatively short time because they are not OEM and are imported or rebuilts. The only realistic solution is as soon as any part of the system fails, don't throw good money after bad. Go on line (there is a good company from S.C.) and search for conversion kits which result in the air bags and compressor being removed and replaced with heavy duty coil springs and heavy duty Monroe shocks. I have had this done and my Nav rides at least as well as it did previously. I was able to have the total conversion job done, including removal of the old and installing the new, parts and labor for under $800. Air Bags can run $1,000 alone and over $500 for the compressor, in addition to labor. I don't know if the newer models have solved this suspension problem but I would definitely check it out before buying one,as it can be an expensive repair. Shop around. I keep my golf and fishing gear in the back always ready to go and love it.
    It is important that you get a mechanic who knows what he is doing as it is a job requiring experience. Hope that this helps.
  • keithmoffkeithmoff Member Posts: 1
    As I am new to this forum and have not read all of your posts, you may have tried this. Call Ford corp. and ask them directly.
    A couple things you might keep in mind are
    1) When new this system worked great so if you find the right information it should again work right. I dont believe that replacing the entire suspension is the right thing.
    2) We have a 2000 Navigator and it has worked very well until today. Thats 12 years and 140,000 hard miles with no problems. Love this truck!

I hope your Nav is fixed by now!
  • wsabbwsabb Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2006 Navigator and have been told that I need to have the engine replaced due to the oil pump. The check engine light came on a few months ago and the diagnostic showed a problem with an ignition coil and spark plugs. I had those replaced, only to drive a few weeks before the light came back on, this time showing a problem with the catalytic converter, so i had it replaced. After driving fine for a month, the light came back on, this time there were odd noises but no slow down. Took it back to dealer, diagnostic showed a problem with cam timing. So, by this time I'm out of funds, asked if it could be driven like that for a week until pay day. Technician said it would be fine. Drove it for 5 days, and all of a sudden it started losing power, sounded terrible, and finally completely died out. Towed it to same dealer shop, diagnostic now showed problem with the oil pump, and the engine needing to be replaced. I'm fed up! I can't afford to replace it, but definitely can't afford to buy another vehicle. I feel that I'm being duped. The mileage just reached 100k. Please help with any suggestions!
  • navy5navy5 Member Posts: 1
    try checking the rear height sensor, it should be hooked on the rear axle to the frame.
  • guardangelguardangel Member Posts: 1
    Hello there! I am sorry about your Navi, I agree you have to put a new engine so, try to looking for a used one online, if you try to rebuilt the engine, it will cost a lot of money for parts and labor!! or, maybe going to a junkyard looking for the engine, probably it will cost less money than the new one. The oil pump is the heart of the engine, once it fails, there is no lubrication in crankshafts, pistons, rods .... Now, if you don´t want to fix the car, sell it in parts!! You will make money with the good parts from your navi. I hope these works for you. Regards
  • lynt354lynt354 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 navigator. I bought the car brand new. It has just over 80,000 miles. I have taken good care of my car over the years. A couple of weeks ago, I heard what sounded like air coming out of my front right tire. Now the tire squeaks when I hit a bump. My check air suspension light came on the dash this week. When I turn the car off it groans as its going down. How can I fix this problem without spending a lot of money. I'm a single parent of two, and paying college tuition for one. Please help
  • themacfivethemacfive Member Posts: 1
    Any help would be appreciated...I have a 2003 Lincoln Navigator 125,000 miles. While doing an errand within a mile or so to home, I noticed the car seemed low...but I could hear the pump running so I thought all was okay. Ran into a store and came out and saw the car was completely down...front and back. Drove the car (very bumpy ride) to my mechanics...about 2 miles away and the pump ran continuously but the car didn't raise. I do not have any warning lights on and the dashboard diagnostics says air suspension ok. My mechanic looked at it and says everything is connected and working, but when the compressor runs, the car doesn't lift. His snap on computer could not communicate with the truck. His theory is maybe something is causing the compressor to not work correctly. He suggested I tow it to a dealer but I'm called and its $129 just for them to look at. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • nevergatornevergator Member Posts: 1
    My advice is to not spend one dime on a Navigator Suspension.
    Sell it for most you can and take the loss.
    I hope you can use my experience and learn from it. Here is my Nevergator Story... Secured a loan for $3600 to replace back two airbags when miles 125000
    in aug. of 2009. Then front right bag went down. then front left then...everytime bag goes down , figure on having to replace the $700 air compressor that airs them up, because the the check suspension light does not come on when bag is leaking and your compressor burns out trying to keep it aired up. then. Then front right height sensor , then front left height sensor. .btw: with suspension not working properly had to have 2 sets of tires put on within 28,000miles... the final straw was five months ago..after replacing every single part on suspension within last 2.5 yrs , it went down and I took it to the dealership and recommended an aftermarket different system...I asked the ford dealer and ford Motor company, what im suppose to do with the less than 2yr old system, that I spent $9000 on.? they said its an old vehicle that needs aftermarket system.... wish they had decided to tell me that two years and 20000 miles and 9000.00 earlier.. I went ahead and trusted that Ford parts were not as bad as Ford said they were. MISTAKE. paid an additional 540 dollars for front height sensor , rear height sensor and a relay switch that lasted 2 days...The Navigator has become an an EYESORE , as it sits atop its worn out 10,000 mile tires in my driveway. The Ford Dealership sent me mail reminding me to change oil. LOL ...This would be funny if the vehicle didnt bankrupt me . But it Has. and the Ford dealership won't do anything to help. Ford Motor Company for Sure don't Care and The Bank wants the loan payment every month. Me and my wife each work 55hrs a week and just trying to raise a family, and do the right things in life, but I Dont Think Ford Motor Company cared one bit about problems this Navigator has caused me and my family. Good Luck!!
    Please let this story help someone keep from feeling the desperation that I currently feel...
  • lincoln03lincoln03 Member Posts: 13
    I also have an 03 nav and had similar problems with the air suspension. This is a known issue with these trucks especially when it is cold outside.
    My advice is to not spend another dime on the air suspension and install a coil conversion kit. You can get one installed for about $500-$600. I did and it has been well worth it. The ride is the same and my money is in my pocket.
    An option to consider if you want to keep the vehicle, is to do what I did.
    When the air suspension failed on my '99, I went with my mechanics advice and converted the system to all mechanical including heavy duty shocks and coil springs. The total cost was about $800 and it now handles at least as well as it did and I don't have to be concerned with a poor OEM system which I think should have resulted in recalls. I love the Navigator in spite of the poor mileage. It is a luxury tank!!">
  • sxtpsxtp Member Posts: 2
    Hello I'm sorry to hear this,I had the same problem with my 2003 navi and almost gave up and traded it in but didn't I searched for different repair shops and I went to "GOOD YEAR TIRE" and the technician ran a check on my air bags and they where good. The problem was a small compressor motor that they replaced and I was so,so happy because if it was the air bags that would have very pricey.The compressor motor is located in Right front fender area of this vehicle,be mindful if you are driving the vehicle in this bouncy state you will ruin your air bags and other parts.Good luck!!!
  • sxtpsxtp Member Posts: 2
    Luxury Tank,I like that :-)
  • esco869esco869 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased struts all the way around on my 2003 Lincoln Navigator and I couldn't be happier! The truck rides like I just drove it off the showroom floor... If the height is wrong on your truck or car it might be a problem with the install????? mine can out more perfect than if it was brand spanking new! STRUT MASTERS are the bomb!!!!!!! And I said i'd never buy a car or truck with airbags again but if the price is right thanks to STRUT MASTERS i'll invest in another car which has airbags.... I DON'T WORK FOR STRUT MASTERS AND THEY DIDN'T GIVE ME ANYTHING TO SAY ANY OF THIS! If you seen my truck prior to STRUT MASTERS you would know why i'm writing all of this!!! TO SAY THE LEAST IT WAS A @#$% NIGHT MARE AND I HATED DRIVING THAT TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!
  • marjack1marjack1 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I had the same trouble, however the common denominator for me was extreme cold weather. I was informed by my Ford dealership this is common. The first time this happen I took my 2005 Lincoln Navigator to the Ford dealership, mechanic said all it need was to have the system recalibrated. Results:FIXED.
    Second time, one year and a half later, driving on an extreme cold day, my suspension dropped again. I waited and waited until it was warmer outside, still my suspension would not raise up. Called the dealership, of course they couldn't tell me what was wrong this time until I brought my truck in. But I had one problem, I couldn't afford it. So I did my research on the Internet, sites like this one, was told to check the fuses. The fuse was ok. Next was told to disconnect the battery cable for about 5 minutes, allow the system to reset itself, then reconnect. Cranked my truck, and immediately the suspension began to raise up, all for free in the luxury of my own garage. I hope this is helpful.
  • bigjoe70454bigjoe70454 Member Posts: 1
    my air suspension not working my compression not coming on are nothing how do ifix it turck sittin low
    Check previous posts. The general consensus among those who have had problems with the air suspension system of Navigators found that once problems begin, they get worse. Often it starts with a leak in a line or a bad compressor or one of the air bags. Either way, it gets expensive quickly. $2,000 + in repairs can come into play rather rapidly.
    I have converted my daughters Nav and my own to a mechanical system of heavy duty shocks and coil springs and we couldn't be happier. The ride is at least as good as the original air system but without all the hassle of being concerned that the rear of the vehicle might drop on your tires on the Interstate at a high rate of speed. Incidentally, this increases the value of the Nav because anyone buying one will become aware of this ongoing problem with this vehicle so those that have been converted are worth more. The cost for conversion on each of our Navs was under $800. Unfortunately, many who have thrown good money after bad on trying to keep up with the continuing repair of the air system, have given up and sold their truck at a loss. Don't do it. Convert and continue to enjoy all of the good features of what I consider to be the best all around vehicle that I have owned.
    It pulls my boat and stores my golfing equipment and fishing gear all at the same time so I am ready to go at any time. The third seat has come in handy fairly often. 13 mpg??? If I get slammed by a Kia....who gets the short end?? On an annual basis, the cost of the mpg may not be all that big a deal considering the comfort and safety and overall features and benefits of this great luxury tank. Good luck and hope that this helps.
  • beek4065beek4065 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 and having problems with the air ride and wanted some more info on the conversion to coil overs. I have been told it will mess with the body module
  • sergio21sergio21 Member Posts: 1
    Does some one know if the airbags can be pressure tested after already being off the the vehicle. I converted to the Struttmasters shocks and I would like to see if I could sell the good air bags???
  • abeloabelo Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 Lincoln navigator my air suspension will go up and the about half hour later it will go down ether the rear or the back or one of the side never the same side will go down what could it be
  • anndyanndy Member Posts: 1

Hello y'all. Does anyone know how to completely disable the air suspension message on 2005 Lincoln navigator?

• 2004nav2004nav Member Posts: 2
    I do not think there is any solution yet for 2003-2006 Lincoln Navigators with the "kneel down" option. The bigger problem I have is the steering. My 2004 was converted before I bought it, and it steers really hard. Come to find out the Air Suspension Control Module integrates with the Electronic Variable Orifice (EVO) for the variable assist power steering. The result is that my Navigator steers like a school bus when I'm in a parking lot. If anyone know how to fix this I would be greatly indebted to you (BTW... my air suspension switch IS turned on and the air suspension module connectors are plugged in. I'm guessing there must be some ride sensor input that is missing.)
  • 2004nav2004nav Member Posts: 2
    When my 2004 was converted the solenoids and front ride height sensors were removed. Because of this there is a pile of error codes in the air suspension module. I just ordered some Arnott solenoids for $20 each, and I'm hoping that reconnecting them and clearing the error codes might re-enable my Variable Assist Power Steering. Right now it is like steering a school bus in a parking lot.
  • stephiegurlstephiegurl Member Posts: 2
    Ok so I have a 2004 Lincoln Navigator, about a month ago the light for the air compression came on to check it, a few days later the front left side was on top of tire. I had googled it and thought it was a Height Sensor. Took it to a local mechanic (live in a small town) they couldn't figure it our, was able to get it lifted again and then it would drop again. He thought maybe something to do with a rod sensor but to take to a dealer. Problem was I live an hour from a dealer and didn't want to drive it that far. So it has been sitting. Talked to another mechanic that has one and he said it was the air bag and suggested I convert to regular struts. My question is has anyone had this issue and converted to struts and the issue is taken care of? And also has anyone done it themselves, is it relatively easy if you know how to work on cars?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Looks pretty straightforward. I think the kit is about $1000.
  • alexalonso2015alexalonso2015 Member Posts: 3
    Hello
    does anyone knows when they try to program my suspension for a 2006 navigator there is no communication 
    It does not let the mechanic program it
    It does not let the mechanic program it
  • pzibellpzibell Member Posts: 1
    I've got an 01 navi 2wd and it's starting to give me suspension issues.
    I took it to a shop and the mechanic told me it needed new solenoids and that would cost me $900. I purchased the parts and as I was replacing the solenoids I found I need new air springs, so I raced both the air springs and solenoids. The suspension worked great for a week and then took the family and neighbors on a 2 1/2 hr road trip up the coast. The suspension aired up for the 7 passengers but didn't release the air when everybody got out. It was like driving on basketballs.
    I pulled everything out when i got home and reinstalled and now the driver side is running lower then the passenger side, both front and rear.
    Anybody have any ideas?
  • bhermesbhermes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Navigator and I am trying to read through all of the posts on air ride suspension. My rear end, ok my cars rear end is down much further than should be. I unhooked the bottom of the height sensor and pushed up and down and did not hear the compressor kicking on. I did hear a relay clicking. The car will not go into park, another issue, but could this cause the air ride not to reset? Any other thoughts? Is there a way to isolate the compressor, height sensor, relay etc to determine which one is bad. Will the testers at Auto Zone determine the issue? Thanks.
  • Johnnyboy777Johnnyboy777 Member Posts: 1
    So I have a Lincoln Navigator 2004 and I can't get my Suspension to stay up. I have replaced the air compressor and my passenger side height sensor seeming that is the side that keeps going back down. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Rear is fine, driver side most of the time its good as well but the passenger side doesn't stay up and don't always pump up either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • mckinsey43mckinsey43 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 Navigator. My problem is with the front end setting down after the car sets for a while. When I start it up i hear the compressor running the front raises and I hear the the air bleed off several times before it stays up sometimes it take several miles before it stays . I replaced both front end sensors, no change. anyone have any suggestions? I havent tried turning the switch off when it is up to see if it will stay. I thought the switch to turn off the air ride system was in the back? is it in a different place on different years? and help would be appreciated. I prefer to fix things myself.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might find this VIDEO informative.