Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    The older we get, the longer it takes to recover from any illness / medical condition. Mostly I have been healthy the last few years. Whenever I do get sick, I really question my choices to be alone / live alone. But it is what it is.

Mike, I really think you need to be in a "rehab hospital". Call your health insurance provider, ask them. All they can say is "No."
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    +1.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    +2

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    henryn said:
    The older we get, the longer it takes to recover from any illness / medical condition. Mostly I have been healthy the last few years. Whenever I do get sick, I really question my choices to be alone / live alone. But it is what it is. Mike, I really think you need to be in a "rehab hospital". Call your health insurance provider, ask them. All they can say is "No."
    Already did that.  My doctors did not feel I needed rehab because of my test results.  If things get worse or don't get better pretty soon, I'll put pressure on them.

2021 Genesis G90

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited December 2015
    Mike, do you have long-term care (LTC) insurance which would cover a more prolonged step-down facility after a hospitalization?
    carnaught said:
    Mike, do you have long-term care (LTC) insurance which would cover a more prolonged step-down facility after a hospitalization?
    No I do not.  And with my health problems, the cost, if I could qualify, would be prohibitive.

2021 Genesis G90

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Fine. Mike stays home and gets checked by a home health nurse 2-3 times a week. I can go along with that, Mike. Sounds like you're really doing OK after the operation you just had for the stent, and, it takes some time ta heal up. And gain strength.

I advise some Seattle Seahawk football action this Sunday on the boob tube. No alcohol but hollering at the crappy calls made against Seattle is certainly all right with me. Take two aspirin if, by some strange twist of fate Minnesota beats Seattle.

No need ta call us in the morning. Just post on here! Solved it all, guys. See why I love sports so much?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    dino001"

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/herbert-quandt-the-man-who-saved-bmw
    -2185.html

Great article dino....BMW almost went under too. A lot of huge businesses have there tough times, the survivors figured out a way to keep the business going.

Two great car companies, and they almost didn't make it. I didn't think the bailout was necessarily a bad thing. It was bad that GM got to that point, when it shouldn't have happened. But, it happened and it probably worked out for the best.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

imidazol97">

That seems to have worked well there. Why do people criticize GM so much for the government's bailing out the unions in their case?

I think the answer is most people don't know Mercedes and BMW were on the brink of bankruptcy at one time. Nothing wrong with bankruptcy, Trump has done it a few times, and many good business people have done it before going on to success. In fact, failure is part of getting to where you want to be....you learn from failure, mainly, what not to do.
    Bankrupcy is a useful business tool.....businessmen take a big risk, they need a way to escape if things go wrong. It depends on what is done after the bankruptcy.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    abacomike said:

henryn said:

The older we get, the longer it takes to recover from any illness / medical condition. Mostly I have been healthy the last few years. Whenever I do get sick, I really question my choices to be alone / live alone. But it is what it is.

Mike, I really think you need to be in a "rehab hospital". Call your health insurance provider, ask them. All they can say is "No."

Already did that.  My doctors did not feel I needed rehab because of my test results.  If things get worse or don't get better pretty soon, I'll put pressure on them.

Mike....I think I might get a 2nd opinion. Every heart procedure I've heard of (and cardio Dr, sister in law) recommends, rehab. I'm may be just a walk with a cane for 100 steps the first day. But, the want your heart rate to elevate, even a little, so it gets stronger and pushes blood through your repaired artery.

Rehab facility sounds reasonable. That way they can supervise your exercise routine. But, your surgeon should have sent you home with a list of things for you to do. Get to the cardio Doc he recommends as soon as possible.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Mike, Good to hear from you, thanks for checking in. Check in whether you have something to contribute or not.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    driver100 said:

I think the answer is most people don't know Mercedes and BMW were on the brink of bankruptcy at one time. Nothing wrong with bankruptcy, Trump has done it a few times, and many good business people have done it before going on to success. In fact, failure is part of getting to where you want to be....you learn from failure, mainly, what not to do.
    Bankrupcy is a useful business tool.....businessmen take a big risk, they need a way to escape if things go wrong. It depends on what is done after the bankruptcy.

I didn't know Mercedes/BMW had that history.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Not minimizing the seriousness of it, but what Mike had was not surgery, but a procedure. May sound like semantics, but it is not done by a surgeon, rather an Interventional Cardiologist.
    Stents are not invasive surgery but they still require a cardio rehab program. Don't usually require a nursing home recovery stay but the other health problems seem to be delaying a normal recovery.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,505
    I thought Obamacare was supposed to make it all better.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,544
    definitely. already being limited by the other issues is going to prevent a normal rehab for the procedure.

it really is shocking what they will send you home with. My dad had an operation a year or so back, and he got sent home with tons of swelling in his leg. Worked out OK, but it was scary.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

henryn said:
    The older we get, the longer it takes to recover from any illness / medical condition. Mostly I have been healthy the last few years. Whenever I do get sick, I really question my choices to be alone / live alone. But it is what it is. Mike, I really think you need to be in a "rehab hospital". Call your health insurance provider, ask them. All they can say is "No."
    Mike....I think I might get a 2nd opinion. Every heart procedure I've heard of (and cardio Dr, sister in law) recommends, rehab. I'm may be just a walk with a cane for 100 steps the first day. But, the want your heart rate to elevate, even a little, so it gets stronger and pushes blood through your repaired artery. Rehab facility sounds reasonable. That way they can supervise your exercise routine. But, your surgeon should have sent you home with a list of things for you to do. Get to the cardio Doc he recommends as soon as possible.
    I received no instructions regarding exercise, activity, etc.

2021 Genesis G90

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    ACA doesn't provide the actual health care of course. So your health care is still run on a for-profit system. The more you pay, probably the better it is.

I thought Obamacare was supposed to make it all better.

Audi was pretty well out of business and VW sales were sinking quickly and VW would have gone out of business too....except the company that had made Audi's bought almost broken VW.

In 1964, Volkswagen acquired Auto Union, and in 1969, NSU Motorenwerke AG (NSU). The former company owned the historic Audi brand, which had disappeared after the Second World War. VW ultimately merged Auto Union and NSU to create the modern Audi company, and would go on to develop it as its luxury vehicle marque. The purchase of Auto Union and NSU was a pivotal point in Volkswagen's history, as both companies yielded the technological expertise that proved necessary for VW to survive when demand for its air-cooled models went into decline

WIKIPEDIA - HISTORY VW

How many others have been on the brink or have gone under?

It's funny. Hardly anyone in America raises a peep about the incredible sums of money given away to defense contractors, but let an automaker put out his hat for a handout, and oh man, the wrath of god is upon them.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    suydam said:

Stents are not invasive surgery but they still require a cardio rehab program. Don't usually require a nursing home recovery stay but the other health problems seem to be delaying a normal recovery.

houdini's definition of minor surgery...Surgery that is performed on someone else !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2015
    nyccarguy said:

@tyguy - just for my back wheel.  I've been blessed with good genes.  I'M 5'10" & weigh 155 lbs.  I know I should excercise and think this would be a good way for me to do so.  We have an Eliptical downstairs in the basement, but my head hits the low ceiling.  I used to bike ride a lot & have a nice, lightweight, K2 Roadbike.  I just thought it might be a good idea to help keep me fit.

The unit I covet but lack the "toy" budget to purchase is the Wahoo Kickr. It's the most natural feeling of the indoor options I've ever come across. Outside of that option and at a lower cost, I'd focus on units with a heavier flywheel that will continue spinning when you stop applying power, as if you were coasting. I hear the Kinetic Road Machine and CycleOps Fluid are good options for a lower cost. My own trainer is an Italian-made fluid based resistance type, which I like, but the lack of a flywheel makes it feel artificial.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328

OK, here's one for the Scooby Doo Detective Squad.

Or for Mike Tyson. B)

Today while driving my bus I had a minor fender bender (car rear ended me, totally his fault) no injuries. Filled out an accident report and the other driver was ticketed. Routine.

Now here's where it gets weird. I just received an email from State Farm Ins. stating a claim has been filed. No other information. But...

How did they get my email address? No one has that, not even my employer. I didn't give it to anyone involved. What data base could put that information together to identify it to an insurance company?

Kind of scarey.

Do you have a log in account with State Farm? You usually need an email account for that. Are yu sure you never gave it to them or your agent for any reason?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited December 2015
    driver100 said:

There are some statistics that say so many 1000s will die from VWs emissions.......I just don't know if it can be proven, or is even true.

It's likely true to the extent that those "so many 1000's" would actually died anyways just a little later (maybe a few days or even just hours earlier). In other words it would be people that had respiratory issues that would have claimed their lives anyway, VW just speed it up ever so slightly.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428
    tyguy said:

nyccarguy said:

@tyguy - just for my back wheel.  I've been blessed with good genes.  I'M 5'10" & weigh 155 lbs.  I know I should excercise and think this would be a good way for me to do so.  We have an Eliptical downstairs in the basement, but my head hits the low ceiling.  I used to bike ride a lot & have a nice, lightweight, K2 Roadbike.  I just thought it might be a good idea to help keep me fit.

The unit I covet but lack the "toy" budget to purchase is the Wahoo Kickr. It's the most natural feeling of the indoor options I've ever come across. Outside of that option and at a lower cost, I'd focus on units with a heavier flywheel that will continue spinning when you stop applying power, as if you were coasting. I hear the Kinetic Road Machine and CycleOps Fluid are good options for a lower cost. My own trainer is an Italian-made fluid based resistance type, which I like, but the lack of a flywheel makes it feel artificial.
    Thank-you. I was looking into the CycleOps last night. Gets very good reviews. The "Wind" model looks very budget friendly, but seems to get many complaints about noise. The fluid model looks solid, but there are complaints about leaking hydraulic fluid after a few years.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    nyccarguy said:

@snakeweasel - I know you are an avid cyclist.  Can you (or anybody else) recommend one of those indoor trainers?  

Howdy. I have a SuperMagneto that I literally used only a couple of times.
    http://www.cycleops.com/product/supermagneto

I can't use it with my new bike because has thru-axle.

Take a look at the link above and PM if you're interested, I'll give you the Edmund's friend and family discount.

Too bad I don't live in Stamford any more, or you could just pop over to take a look.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No one uses rollers any more? Been years since I had a set, but it was more entertaining than the cheap trainer I had.

That reminds me, I need to relist my unicycle on craigslist. Maybe someone would like it for Christmas. They could then enjoy the surgical experience in January, lol.
    @verdugo - that once is really nice. I'll shoot you a PM in a few days. Thank-you!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

@snakeweasel - I know you are an avid cyclist.  Can you (or anybody else) recommend one of those indoor trainers?  

Sure, if you already have a bike you regularly ride the best, least expensive way to go is to get a trainer that you affix to the rear wheel. These you can expect to pay a few hundred on up for a good one. You ca

However be aware that if you go this route it is best to get a special wheel to replace your rear wheel that is made for these trainers, it is a solid rubber tire and works better with the trainer.

If you want a indoor bike a good one should run you $500 or more. Stay away from recumbent ones unless you ride a recumbent bike. You would be best to get one with magnetic resistance and a solid flywheel in the rear and has a display that shows at least your wattage (shows how hard you work) and your cadence. I use a Kaiser which run $1,500 and up depending on the model.

In both cases for extra $$$ you can get a setup where you can plug in a route and have a computer use the resistance to simulate the terrain of your route.

Another way to go is getting a gym membership, they can be inexpensive and offer more than just bikes for exercise.

I would also suggest researching proper exercise techniques (tip: most spin instructors know squat about proper techniques). You can get a much better workout in 15 minutes with proper techniques than you can get in an hour with poor techniques.

@snakeweasel - Thank-you. Definitely something I'd like to look into. I leave for work at 6:15 AM and usually don't get home until 6:30 PM (today I put in half a day, 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM). I just don't have the time to go to the gym. We have an Elliptical that my wife uses, but due to our basemen't low ceilings, I don't fit on it.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664

OK, here's one for the Scooby Doo Detective Squad.

Or for Mike Tyson. B)

Today while driving my bus I had a minor fender bender (car rear ended me, totally his fault) no injuries. Filled out an accident report and the other driver was ticketed. Routine.

Now here's where it gets weird. I just received an email from State Farm Ins. stating a claim has been filed. No other information. But...

How did they get my email address? No one has that, not even my employer. I didn't give it to anyone involved. What data base could put that information together to identify it to an insurance company?

Kind of scarey.

Do you have a log in account with State Farm? You usually need an email account for that. Are yu sure you never gave it to them or your agent for any reason?
    I'm thinking I might have requested one of those anonymous quotes from them sometime in the past. Might have been Allstate, can't remember.

Now I'm wondering if this not my fault accident will cause a hike in my personal insurance. Hate to think my rates will get jacked because somebody was texting while driving.

Years ago some mentally ill home owner dropped a telephone pole on my truck as I was driving by and NYS DMV listed it on my abstract as a "personal injury accident".

Should I call my insurance company to explain this latest thing or keep quiet and hope they don't notice?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

RE: Bailouts. I wouldn't say I wouldn't buy a particular brand because of a bailout. Although it is not a good thing that we have to bailout a company....it probably shows they deserve to go under if they get to that stage.....the bailout probably pays off in the long run if the company survives. The saving of jobs plus taxes collected probably make bailouts worthwhile.

This is something that most people don't seem to realize. Without the bailouts GM and Chrysler would have survived, they would have gone into bankruptcy and have been restructured. In all honesty I think it would have been better for them to have to have gone through bankruptcy over a bailout.

@ snakeweasel said:

"This is something that most people don't seem to realize. Without the bailouts GM and Chrysler would have survived, they would have gone into bankruptcy and have been restructured. In all honesty I think it would have been better for them to have to have gone through bankruptcy over a bailout."

The bailouts protected the union contracts.  If allowed to go into bankruptcy, all contracts with vendors and employees would have become null and void.  I believe that is why the Obama administration bailed out GM. Just my opinion.

2021 Genesis G90

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,920
    edited December 2015
    The non-fault accident shouldn't hike your insurance. They aren't paying out anything, so it's not a claim to them.,

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I was able to walk to the trash bin on my floor and empty my garbage.  I then took my mail downstairs (by elevator) and mailed it.  Then returned to my apartment. I was tired but I used a cane.  Caught my breath sooner and it would appear I am getting a little stronger.

I would think I will be able to go to my cardiologist appointment next week and my eye doctor appointment.  I just need to take things slow.

Thanks all for your support and suggestions.

2021 Genesis G90

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    Progress! You are exactly right, Mike. Slow and steady will win the race for you. :)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,259
    stever said:

That reminds me, I need to relist my unicycle on craigslist. Maybe someone would like it for Christmas. They could then enjoy the surgical experience in January, lol.

My unicycle days are behind me. Learned when I was a kid, and on my visits back to CA my dad has one in the garage that I'd try out. Last time I tried it I took a spill and decided that I needed to retire.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Chrysler and GM did go into bankruptcy, chapter 11, restructure of debt. If you are suggesting that Chapter 7, which is liquidation, would have allowed GM or Chrysler to survive, all I can say is would you buy a car from a liquidated company? One doesn't see a new Pontiac or Oldsmobile driving around. And even if you did, how can a company continue after selling off most of its infrastructure? GM and Chrysler would have had to become something else, possibly a small branch of a Japanese or German company, making parts or some such.

Also we have to consider the loss of this infrastructure with regards to national security. Last of all, what president wants to preside over the destruction of the American automobile industry?

Given how well it turned out in the long run, the bailout is a stunning success--but as you say, not without its unpleasant aspects (like they say, if you want to understand politics, go visit a sausage factory).

abacomike said:

@ snakeweasel said:

"This is something that most people don't seem to realize. Without the bailouts GM and Chrysler would have survived, they would have gone into bankruptcy and have been restructured. In all honesty I think it would have been better for them to have to have gone through bankruptcy over a bailout."

The bailouts protected the union contracts.  If allowed to go into bankruptcy, all contracts with vendors and employees would have become null and void.  I believe that is why the Obama administration bailed out GM. Just my opinion.

"stunning success"?.....hmmm
    No doubt that GM is making better and more interesting products now.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Hey, guys, with all of my over-enthusiasthma over the 2016 Scion iA, I failed ta mention that I switched from gecko-central car insurance to American Family Car Insurance Co. My agent is right here in Dodge City, KS, about a mile north of our apartment.

The real cool thing is, of course, pricing. Gecko-Central was charging me $172.27 a month for our '11 Kia Soul base clear white 5-speed. American Family Insurance: a whopping $82.98 a month! Same coverages, only we raised our comprehensive deductible to $500 from $100. But that was not a lion's share of that savings amount. Wow - more for a monthly car payment now...I..I mean look at those savings!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

In terms of sales and profits, there's no arguing it. In fact the last 8 years have been very very good for American corporations in general. Maybe not for US, but for them, most definitely.
    carnaught said:

"stunning success"?.....hmmm

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,544
    Iluv, the gecko was ripping you off. Especially if your wife doesn't have a license. I don't pay much more that you were for 3 cars, full coverage, and a teenager. In NJ which is on the high side to start with!

Good thing you switched. Stash the savings in a car fund account!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited December 2015
    stever said:

No one uses rollers any more? Been years since I had a set, but it was more entertaining than the cheap trainer I had.

Is it a good unicycle?? B)

They DO sorta go with yoyos and devil sticks...heh. Daughter #1 and hubby got me a zither for last Christmas. They have it figured out how to buy for me
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    houdini1 said:

By the way, whatever happened to Kirstie? Is she gone or just on "leave"?

It's not THAT easy to get rid of me! I'm around, one way or another. I don't get by here as often as I'd like, as my role in our overall collection & publication of user-generated content has expanded greatly. That includes not only forums, but Answers (which I don't work on), Dealer Reviews, and Consumer Reviews of Vehicles. We've had a big project this year that involved making it easier (and hopefully more rewarding) to submit vehicle reviews, so that has eaten a lot of my time -in a good way. I do miss you guys and pop in here to read from time to time. It's kind of like my "break."

Heh, you probably got flagged 11 times for a nice comment about me from the Kirstie-haters :) But I do appreciate it!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    No such thing as a "Kirstie-hater"!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2015
    PF_Flyer said:

Is it a good unicycle?? B)

It's more like a training cello. ;) I have enough trouble with it on pebble-free asphalt but I never progressed to off-road riding, and since we moved off the pavement, it doesn't get used.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited December 2015
    Kirstie_H said:

houdini1 said:

By the way, whatever happened to Kirstie? Is she gone or just on "leave"?

It's not THAT easy to get rid of me! I'm around, one way or another. I don't get by here as often as I'd like, as my role in our overall collection & publication of user-generated content has expanded greatly. That includes not only forums, but Answers (which I don't work on), Dealer Reviews, and Consumer Reviews of Vehicles. We've had a big project this year that involved making it easier (and hopefully more rewarding) to submit vehicle reviews, so that has eaten a lot of my time -in a good way. I do miss you guys and pop in here to read from time to time. It's kind of like my "break."

Heh, you probably got flagged 11 times for a nice comment about me from the Kirstie-haters :) But I do appreciate it!
    Ha, so they are actually making you do some work now. Missed you, thanks for checking in. Hey how 'bout them Royals !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

GREAT win for the Royals! They had so many "building" years, they were finally due.

While I'm here, I'll show off my not-very-new-at-all new-to-me vehicle. It's got a little bit of "project" in it, but runs great and was a lot of fun while the warmth still graced us with its presence:

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

And Mr. Kirstie_H's new-to-him vehicle. I bought mine FIRST, so his need to have a convertible was a total copycat move.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR