Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 VW GTI Lease Questions

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,154
    swifttone said:
    Looking to lease a base GTI with a manual transmission. Is this a good deal? MSRP: $26,415 Discount: $3015 VW Loyalty: $1000 Price: $22,400 Money Factor: 0.00125 Residual 58%=$15,320 Lease is 3 years, 15k/year The doc fee is $299 as well. Is this a good deal?
    I get $244/mo plus tax with those numbers. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    So.. my curiosity got the better of me.

A few dealers in the VA/DC/MD area were advertising 2016 GTIs with hefty discounts. For example, an Autobahn model with $35K MSRP for $29K, etc..

Shot the dealer an email, telling them I was interested, my state of residence, and verified that I was eligible for the $1500 conquest cash (which, I assumed was already calculated into that $6K discount).

So, did the math.. Added a generous $1500 to the CAP for acq.fee, dealer fee and title/registration. (should be around $1000, at most).

$36K MSRP
    $29K sale price
    $30,500 CAP cost
    .00125 MF
    60% residual for 36/12.

$329/mo.+ 6% tax = $349/mo. with just 1st payment due at signing.

The dealer's quote: $426/mo.

I should have known.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ursusursus Member Posts: 128
    edited January 2016
    kyfdx said:

A few dealers in the VA/DC/MD area were advertising 2016 GTIs with hefty discounts. For example, an Autobahn model with $35K MSRP for $29K, etc..

Shot the dealer an email, telling them I was interested, my state of residence, and verified that I was eligible for the $1500 conquest cash (which, I assumed was already calculated into that $6K discount).

So, did the math.. Added a generous $1500 to the CAP for acq.fee, dealer fee and title/registration. (should be around $1000, at most).

$36K MSRP
    $29K sale price
    $30,500 CAP cost
    .00125 MF
    60% residual for 36/12.

I should have known.. ;)

Their advertised price of $6K off does not include freight, but includes $1.5K rebate, so the sale price is actually ~$30K. I was close to making a deal for around $330/mo with the same terms on $34,945 MSRP. But I pulled out as soon as they lowballed me on my trade-in by about $2.5K off of Edmunds and "the other" guys. Besides, I could not understand how a loaded $35K car does not have an auto dimming mirror and homelink :)
    ursus said:

kyfdx said:

$36K MSRP
    $29K sale price
    $30,500 CAP cost
    .00125 MF
    60% residual for 36/12.

I should have known.. ;)

Their advertised price of $6K off does not include freight, but includes $1.5K rebate, so the sale price is actually ~$30K. I was close to making a deal for around $330/mo with the same terms on $34,945 MSRP. But I pulled out as soon as they lowballed me on my trade-in by about $2.5K off of Edmunds and "the other" guys. Besides, I could not understand how a loaded $35K car does not have an auto dimming mirror and homelink :)

It's always something. I don't have a trade, but then again, I also can't walk in there and hammer out a deal in person, being 8 hours away.

Every once in awhile, you get a straight shooter via email contact, and you can get a deal done. I actually did a lease deal with the BMW dealer in Silver Spring, back in 2011. Flew into Baltimore around Noon, and drove out of the dealership at 3 PM, with everything complete.

But, that's a big commitment and a long way to go, without knowing the deal is in place.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If you need an MB straight shooter in DC area, let me know. I can also recommend my VW guy, even though it did not work out this time :) I leased my only VW from him a few years back. You can work it out with him over email, I think.
  • yrjwyrjw Member Posts: 13
    Hello,
    What is February's MF & Residual for 10K/36mo and 12K/36mo lease?
    Currently looking at 2016 VW Golf GTI SE.
  • yrjwyrjw Member Posts: 13
    yrjw said:

Hello,

are numbers still the same with above?
  • thebigtuna1979thebigtuna1979 Member Posts: 21
    Hello,
    What is February's MF & Residual on a 2016 GTI Base S 4 door (6spd manual) with Lighting Package. (MSRP $27,410.00) 36/12K & 36/10K. I am located in New York State. Also, any incentives/dealer cash on this car this month? Finally, is there conquest cash? Thanks in advance
    yrjw said:

yrjw said:

Hello,

are numbers still the same with above?
    VW has extended the January program through February 8th.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hello,
    What is February's MF & Residual on a 2016 GTI Base S 4 door (6spd manual) with Lighting Package. (MSRP $27,410.00) 36/12K & 36/10K. I am located in New York State. Also, any incentives/dealer cash on this car this month? Finally, is there conquest cash? Thanks in advance

.00125 MF and 60%/61% residual for all GTI trims.

$1500 conquest cash.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• roadcrazyroadcrazy Member Posts: 31
    2016 GTI S 4 door with DSG. Lease 36 months and 12k.
    $27,935.00 MSRP
    $26,899.00 Price
    .00125 Rate
    .60 Residual
    $1,500.00 lease conquest rebate eligible.
    $785.00 cash upfront which includes first month, all taxes, dealer fees and $130 down.
    Payment is $326.61 which includes 6% MI sales tax.

I'd appreciate feedback on if the numbers look correct and if it is a good deal.
    roadcrazy said:

2016 GTI S 4 door with DSG. Lease 36 months and 12k.
    $27,935.00 MSRP
    $26,899.00 Price
    .00125 Rate
    .60 Residual
    $1,500.00 lease conquest rebate eligible.
    $785.00 cash upfront which includes first month, all taxes, dealer fees and $130 down.
    Payment is $326.61 which includes 6% MI sales tax.

I'd appreciate feedback on if the numbers look correct and if it is a good deal.

Calculations look good. I assumed an adjusted CAP cost of $25,800, after adding in the $625 acquistion fee, and came up with $304/mo.+tax.

If you are happy with the selling price, then all is good.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hi KYFDX and thanks for the MF/Residuals/Incentives.

Considering a 2016 GTI S 4 door (Manual Trans) with Lighting Package (MSRP ($27,410)
    I am hearing discounts of $3K off sticker (or more) and if I add in the $1,500 conquest, Im potentially looking at $4,500 off MSRP)

Considering a net cap cost of $22,910 ($4,500 off MSRP) what can I expect in terms of a payment on a 36/12K lease in NY. Tax rate is 8.375% (In NY we dont pay all of the tax on the car, thank goodness). with a residual of 60% and a MF of .00125.

Trying to arm myself prior to going into the dealership and playing the negotiating game. What kind of payment can I expect. I'd like to roll the bank fee and taxes into the payment. I can pay the first month and registration fees. Who knows, maybe they're discounting the GTI more than $3K off (prior to the incentive)

appreciate your help and thanks again !

Hi KYFDX and thanks for the MF/Residuals/Incentives.

Considering a 2016 GTI S 4 door (Manual Trans) with Lighting Package (MSRP ($27,410)
    I am hearing discounts of $3K off sticker (or more) and if I add in the $1,500 conquest, Im potentially looking at $4,500 off MSRP)

Considering a net cap cost of $22,910 ($4,500 off MSRP) what can I expect in terms of a payment on a 36/12K lease in NY. Tax rate is 8.375% (In NY we dont pay all of the tax on the car, thank goodness). with a residual of 60% and a MF of .00125.

Trying to arm myself prior to going into the dealership and playing the negotiating game. What kind of payment can I expect. I'd like to roll the bank fee and taxes into the payment. I can pay the first month and registration fees. Who knows, maybe they're discounting the GTI more than $3K off (prior to the incentive)

appreciate your help and thanks again !

If you can get the net cap cost to $22,910 and you are paying all the inception fees and taxes up front, I get a payment of $229/mo.

That's a big if, mind you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

@thebigtuna1979 Check my posts farther up.. The chances of $3000 off, plus $1500 are remote.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

With all the problems VW is having I didnt think $3000 under MSRP (not invoice) was a stretch. Would love to know what they're usually discounting GTI's. If anyone can chime in. Thanks again.

With all the problems VW is having I didnt think $3000 under MSRP (not invoice) was a stretch. Would love to know what they're usually discounting GTI's. If anyone can chime in. Thanks again.

We don't track prices; read back through the last page or two of this discussion to see what others have been able to negotiate.

You may get $3000 under MSRP, but that would include the $1500 loyalty credit or other incentives that are available.

Not $3K before incentives.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Agreed. Seems VW dealers around my area are doing Invoice minus the $1500 conquest. With the numbers this month a Base S 4 door GTI with lighting package is leasing for $335 a month - Just first month and DMV out of pocket. Not a good lease on a $27K car. Was hoping to be in the upper $200's but I guess the high MF is killing the lease on the GTI. Can lease a much more expensive vehicle for similiar or even lower payment. I really like the GTI, but not to lease. Thanks to all for the help. This forum is awesome, as always.
  • justinkeithjustinkeith Member Posts: 3

Agreed. Seems VW dealers around my area are doing Invoice minus the $1500 conquest. With the numbers this month a Base S 4 door GTI with lighting package is leasing for $335 a month - Just first month and DMV out of pocket. Not a good lease on a $27K car. Was hoping to be in the upper $200's but I guess the high MF is killing the lease on the GTI. Can lease a much more expensive vehicle for similiar or even lower payment. I really like the GTI, but not to lease. Thanks to all for the help. This forum is awesome, as always.

Do you know of an area of the forums where I can find out which vehicles are currently leasing the best? I was considering a GTI, but there may be others I'd consider?

Do you know of an area of the forums where I can find out which vehicles are currently leasing the best? I was considering a GTI, but there may be others I'd consider?
    The forums are mostly make and model specific. I know the Infiniti Q50 is leasing very well at the moment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited February 2016

A Volvo dealer told me that 2016 S60 has $1,850 lease cash + $1,250 cash rebate
  • justinkeithjustinkeith Member Posts: 3
    thank you for the responses
  • mjames83mjames83 Member Posts: 24

$1500 conquest cash.

Noob question here, but I'm curious about the discrepancy between the MF and residual values presented in this feed and those on a sites like cars.com

For example:
    .00125MF and 60% here
    vs
    .0029915 and 52% on cars.com
    http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp?makename=Volkswagen&modelname=GTI&year=2016

Can anyone explain?
    I'm looking specifically at 4dr Autobahn w/ PP and lighting package.
    mjames83 said:

$1500 conquest cash.

Noob question here, but I'm curious about the discrepancy between the MF and residual values presented in this feed and those on a sites like cars.com

For example:
    .00125MF and 60% here
    vs
    http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp?makename=Volkswagen&modelname=GTI&year=2016

Can anyone explain?

We have the VW credit numbers. Other sites? No idea where their numbers come from.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

mjames83 said:

$1500 conquest cash.

For example:
    .00125MF and 60% here
    vs

Can anyone explain?

.0029915 is a monthly finance rate.. equivalent to 3.59% APR. (multiply by 12, and see what I mean).
    Nothing to do with leasing.

And, the residuals are probably out of the ALG guide for independent banks.. Again, irrelevant to the rates given by Volkswagen Credit.

In other words, it's useless information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• leescottleescott Member Posts: 168
    Any changes to the lease numbers or incentives?
    leescott said:

Any changes to the lease numbers or incentives?

Conquest cash went away.. Loyalty bonus is $500 (if qualified)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• leescottleescott Member Posts: 168
    Yeah, I saw that. Clearly VWoA is not interested in improving sales! Lease numbers still the same?
    leescott said:

Yeah, I saw that. Clearly VWoA is not interested in improving sales! Lease numbers still the same?

Yes... no change to MF or residual

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• user2016user2016 Member Posts: 23
    Looking for SE w Performance Package and Lighting 36/10 and 48/10 please
    edited February 2016
    user2016 said:

Looking for SE w Performance Package and Lighting 36/10 and 48/10 please

.00125 MF and 61%/54% residual

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you!
  • aceking4uaceking4u Member Posts: 1
    What are residual percentages and money factor for a 4dr SE + Lighting (2 year / 10k miles)

Is it still 68% and .00125?

Any help would be appreciated. Love this forum/community!
    aceking4u said:

What are residual percentages and money factor for a 4dr SE + Lighting (2 year / 10k miles)

Is it still 68% and .00125?

Any help would be appreciated. Love this forum/community!

Yes.. .those are the current numbers.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I have a dealer telling me that the money factor for 48 months is now .00175. Two days ago, it was .00125 for both 36 and 48 months. Is this accurate or is the dealer marking up the MF for a 48mo lease?
    user2016 said:

I have a dealer telling me that the money factor for 48 months is now .00175. Two days ago, it was .00125 for both 36 and 48 months. Is this accurate or is the dealer marking up the MF for a 48mo lease?

I don't have that info, but it's very possible that the money factor is higher for 48 months. If he is giving you .00125 for 36 months, it's doubtful he would mark up the 48 month rate.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That's a good point. Well, what do you think? I have a dealer willing to do GTI Autobahn w Perf Pack and Lighting (35000 MSRP) at 32K cap cost - including $500 presidents day cash and $500 owner loyalty incentives. At the 36 mo rate that's about 388/mo with 1200 cash to cover fees. Good deal?

I'm planning to wait out the weekend rush and see if I can get him lower by the end of next week.
    user2016 said:

That's a good point. Well, what do you think? I have a dealer willing to do GTI Autobahn w Perf Pack and Lighting (35000 MSRP) at 32K cap cost - including $500 presidents day cash and $500 owner loyalty incentives. At the 36 mo rate that's about 388/mo with 1200 cash to cover fees. Good deal?

I'm planning to wait out the weekend rush and see if I can get him lower by the end of next week.

.00125 MF and 61% residual for 36/10.

I get $362/mo.+tax, so that's pretty close.

I did some more digging, and it looks like .00175 is the 48 month MF. We don't get many requests for 48 month leases.

That's the car I've been looking at (with a stick). Saw a new one at the car wash, a couple of weeks ago. The guy had just bought it. Same configuration but with DSG. Obviously, he loved it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• clea915clea915 Member Posts: 4
    Looking for 2016 GTI S 4dr Automatic w/ lighting package or 2016 GTI SE 4dr Automatic w/ lighting package - what are the numbers for 12k/15k miles for both configurations?

Dealer has found an SE w/ lighting and is giving me the following (haven't discussed mileage yet):
    MSRP: 31960
    Invoice: 30293
    Residual: 58%
    MF: .00125

Does this look appropriate thus far with what you guys have?

clea915 said:

Looking for 2016 GTI S 4dr Automatic w/ lighting package or 2016 GTI SE 4dr Automatic w/ lighting package - what are the numbers for 12k/15k miles for both configurations?

Dealer has found an SE w/ lighting and is giving me the following (haven't discussed mileage yet):

I confirm the .00125 and 58% for 36/15.

With those prices, the pre-tax payment is $388/mo

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

clea915 said:

I confirm the .00125 and 58% for 36/15.

With those prices, the pre-tax payment is $388/mo
    Can you provide the calculations? I'm getting something different and I've checked my excel doc twice over.
    clea915 said:
    Looking for 2016 GTI S 4dr Automatic w/ lighting package or 2016 GTI SE 4dr Automatic w/ lighting package - what are the numbers for 12k/15k miles for both configurations? Dealer has found an SE w/ lighting and is giving me the following (haven't discussed mileage yet): MSRP: 31960 Invoice: 30293 Residual: 58% MF: .00125 Does this look appropriate thus far with what you guys have?
    I confirm the .00125 and 58% for 36/15. With those prices, the pre-tax payment is $388/mo
    Can you provide the calculations? I'm getting something different and I've checked my excel doc twice over.
     If you post a screenshot of your calculations, we can try to figure out where the discrepancy is 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Numbers I used are below..

MSRP $31,960
    Base Cap Cost $30,293
    Additional Lease Costs
    Dealer Acquisition Fee $750
    Gross Capitalized Cost $31,043

Capitalized Cost Reductions
    Down Payments $1,500
    Net Capitalized Cost $29,543

Lease Terms and Taxes
    Residual Value $15,980
    Money Factor 0.00125
    APR 3.0%
    Term of Lease 36
    Sales Tax 5.3%

Calculation of Lease Cost
    Depreciation $13,563.00
    Finance or Rent Charge $2,048.54
    Sales Tax on Lease $819.61
    Total of All Payments $16,431.14

Total Lease Payment $14,611.86
    Sales Tax Due on Down Payment $78.75

Calculation of Monthly Lease Payment
    Monthly Lease Payment $433.65
    Sales Tax on Lease Payment $22.77
    Total Monthly Lease Payment $456.42
    clea915 said:

Numbers I used are below..

MSRP $31,960
    Base Cap Cost $30,293
    Additional Lease Costs
    Dealer Acquisition Fee $750
    Gross Capitalized Cost $31,043

Capitalized Cost Reductions
    Down Payments $1,500
    Net Capitalized Cost $29,543

Lease Terms and Taxes
    Residual Value $15,980
    Money Factor 0.00125
    APR 3.0%
    Term of Lease 36
    Sales Tax 5.3%

Calculation of Lease Cost
    Depreciation $13,563.00
    Finance or Rent Charge $2,048.54
    Sales Tax on Lease $819.61
    Total of All Payments $16,431.14

Total Lease Payment $14,611.86
    Sales Tax Due on Down Payment $78.75

Calculation of Monthly Lease Payment
    Monthly Lease Payment $433.65
    Sales Tax on Lease Payment $22.77
    Total Monthly Lease Payment $456.42

The calculations aren't correct.

58% of $31,960 is $18,536, which means the depreciation amount is $11,006, or about $306/mo. Rent charge is an additional $60/mo, for a total pre-tax payment of about $366/mo. 5.3% tax takes the payment to $385/mo.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Vito DiGiorgioVito DiGiorgio Member Posts: 88
    looking at a 2015 v 2016 4dr GTI SE DSG....trying to get in a 36 month/12k lease but i am being quote ridiculous high prices and dealer wont budge

MSRP 31,015 for the 2015...since it is 2015 im hoping to get the price down to 26k and doing the lease off that number. Is this a reasonable price to pay? What should i expect to pay per month at this price. Sales tax is 7% here.

thanks
    pizan619 said:

looking at a 2015 v 2016 4dr GTI SE DSG....trying to get in a 36 month/12k lease but i am being quote ridiculous high prices and dealer wont budge

MSRP 31,015 for the 2015...since it is 2015 im hoping to get the price down to 26k and doing the lease off that number. Is this a reasonable price to pay? What should i expect to pay per month at this price. Sales tax is 7% here.

thanks

2016 - .00125 and 60%
    2015 - .00065 and 54%. $1000 lease cash.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• eltiodolfoeltiodolfo Member Posts: 112
    Hi Michaell,

Thanks for taking your time to help us.

Does the following lease deal for a 2016 VW GTI S 2 door manual look legit from your end? math adds up. looking to better the deal a bit more though

msrp: 26135
    invoice: 25315
    sale price / initial cap cost: 24672
    net cap cost: 25297
    residual: 15681 (60%)
    mf: .00135
    acquisiton fee: 675 (part of net cap)
    dealer fee: 821
    rebates and incentives = 1000 (loyalty and presidents day)

base monthly: 322 (depreciation fee (267) + finance fee (55))
    total monthly 345 (tax = 23)

initial payment 1391 = 1st month (345), dealer fee (821), licence tag registration (225)

dealer stated they would apply the 1000 rebates and incentives to the initial payment and pay off the 1st month. there would be no initial payment this way.

i would like to bring the monthly payment down by trying to negotiate the dealer fee. i feel like that fee is eating most of the rebates / incentives but they are offering to pay the first month. i am thinking dealer fee and sale price is where i should focus on negotiating. i appreciate your feedback

Hi Michaell,

Thanks for taking your time to help us.

Does the following lease deal for a 2016 VW GTI S 2 door manual look legit from your end? math adds up. looking to better the deal a bit more though

msrp: 26135
    invoice: 25315
    sale price / initial cap cost: 24672
    net cap cost: 25297
    residual: 15681 (60%)
    mf: .00135
    acquisiton fee: 675 (part of net cap)
    dealer fee: 821
    rebates and incentives = 1000 (loyalty and presidents day)

base monthly: 322 (depreciation fee (267) + finance fee (55))
    total monthly 345 (tax = 23)

initial payment 1391 = 1st month (345), dealer fee (821), licence tag registration (225)

dealer stated they would apply the 1000 rebates and incentives to the initial payment and pay off the 1st month. there would be no initial payment this way.

i would like to bring the monthly payment down by trying to negotiate the dealer fee. i feel like that fee is eating most of the rebates / incentives but they are offering to pay the first month. i am thinking dealer fee and sale price is where i should focus on negotiating. i appreciate your feedback

The base MF is .00125, so the dealer is marking that up a bit on you.

Yes, the selling price and extra fees are where you can shave the payment down.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• dd086703dd086703 Member Posts: 3
    MF is the same for all trims? .00125?
    What's residual for 36/12 vs 36/15?
    Thanks.
    dd086703 said:
    MF is the same for all trims? .00125? What's residual for 36/12 vs 36/15? Thanks.
    MF is the same for all trims. 36/15 RV is 58%; Qq12k is 2% higher. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator