Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee, Grand Cherokee Cruise Control Problems

2»

Comments

• celticmancelticman Member Posts: 1
    Mine has just gone the same, I have a 2000W Cherokee Orvis, my cruise contol has stopped working plus the airbag warning light is on all the time PLUS Ive no horn. I wonder if theyre all linked.....seems a strange coincidence if theyre not linked.
    If you have any ideas please let me know.
  • speglowspeglow Member Posts: 2
    Have you found a solution to your cruise? I'm being told that mine problem is probably the clock-spring behind the airbag in the stearing wheel. Unfortunaetly it can only be purchased via dealer at $185-$195 bucks. I'm putting it off because I hate to spend $200 and it doesn't fix the problem. Looking for the part in junk yards, but it's only on a 1999 so I'm told?
  • keliculakelicula Member Posts: 2
    My cruise is fixed! After reading this forum, I wondered if it was the vacuum hose or whatever. It was a $30 part and a quick fix! Not the over $200 I was told. Runs like a charm now!
  • darryl6darryl6 Member Posts: 1
    I had a problem with Air Bag light, CC, horn and radio controls on my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Each one went out one at a time. I replaced the clockspring which transfers all controls from the steering wheel to the rest of the car. Now all of the controls work and the airbag light is off. The CC light now comes on but the cruise control still does not work. It was not working before the clockspring went out. If you turn on your CC and the light does not come on and/or the airbag light is on, then it is most likely the clockspring. I think my CC problem is vacuum related and still have to take a look at it.
    BEWARE - if you decide to replace the clockspring, make sure you get a very good steering wheel or gear puller. The one I bought from Kragen that was made for this car snapped. I got an 8 way reversible 2/3 jaw puller from Napa that did the trick.
  • ncercosncercos Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2000 GC two weeks ago. Yesterday the vent selector stopped working the the CC went out. After reading all the post, checked the vacuum hose and found one end off. Thanks,
  • davidarroyodavidarroyo Member Posts: 1
    Hey men i have a question, the problem in my 2002 jeep grand cherokee, i think is the pcm but i see is no fuse or anything the can make it prevent from mess up the pcm, so they should make a recall for it , but how did you make dealer to give you a new pcm at no cost.?
  • rdflattrdflatt Member Posts: 2
    2001 jeep Grand Cherokee cruise control works good, but when driving with cruise set and outside air temp goes below 40 degrees, the engine rpm will jump 300 rpm and drop back to where it was running as set. The driving speed will not change, only rpm increase. I can duplicate the same jump by hitting the CANCEL button and instantly hitting the RESUME button, allowing the engine to increase rpm's before catching again. Vacuum lines were replaced back in the summer when AC would not work and Cruise would show some of same symptoms in the summer, solving that problem, but not this. Any ideas of what to check?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,064
    That sounds more like the torque converter locking and unlocking.... than a problem with the cruise control.. (not an expert)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rdflattrdflatt Member Posts: 2
    Only does it when cruise is on. I have been driving from Tennessee to Houston TX several times and I can watch the outside temp gage when traveling south, as it gets above 40 degrees, problem goes away. When I return, as outside temp goes to 39 degrees, jump comes back. I turn cruise control off and hold rpms constant, it never jumps, runs smooth. Can not find any problem. Any other suggestions?
  • haniwowhaniwow Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    What was the part? My cruise control, doesn't work either and airbag light is on all the time... want to bring it in monday, but with my own info. Thanks so much.
    Hani
  • alby3alby3 Member Posts: 46
    fixed the vacuum hose under the battery compartment and fixed my climate controll switch and cruse control..... appreciate it.
    alan
  • klot95klot95 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Jeeps cruise control isn’t working. When I hit the button the set the speed the computer accelerates it to insane speeds. It won’t stay at one set speed.
    Also, when I turn the interior dash lights to a brighter setting they flash all the time and it’s very distracting. I have to turn the dimmer down very low where it’s sometimes makes the dash hard to see.
    Does anyone know how to resolve these issues? I’m assuming they both can be related maybe some with the computer?
  • mikeymmikeym Member Posts: 1
    I already checked the vacuum hose behind the passenger's side headlight, I'm still getting no vent control on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

That's until I saw the the main hose running into my intake manifold (at least that's what I think it's called), was totally rotted through! Needles to say, I have to replace it, but I'm not too sure what part number it is... I've included some links to some photos if anyone could help me out, or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Mike

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/mccamike/vh1.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/mccamike/vh2.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/mccamike/vh3.jpg
  • smahimessmahimes Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you ever found the solution to this issue. I just bought a 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo yesterday and the cruise control doesn't work. Just like yours klot95. When I activate the cruise control, the vehicle jumps up to insane speeds and wont stop unless i turn the cruise control off. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue. Please help!!!!!!
  • chrisinva1chrisinva1 Member Posts: 1
    Looks like your issue is more an environmental one, the line you pictured should not have anything to do with the problem as described. The line pictured appears to be a breather for the intake. I could be off, but it sounds like you have a vaccume leak elsewhere.
  • katz7katz7 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee had exhibited the same symptoms you describe here. When I turned on the cruise control it would disengage a short time later. When it disengaged the cruise light would go out. The time it would take for the cruise control to shut down was intermittent. Some times I would turn it on and it would go right out. I could get the cruise control to light back up when I turned the engine off an back on. I checked the vacuum hoses and they looked good. I then took it to Jeep for an estimate. Jeep told me the problem was the PCM and it will cost me $850 to fix it. I paid $84.00 for this estimate.
    I purchased a PCM through Auto Computer Exchange. Installed it, drove the Jeep for about 2 miles and the cruise control shut down again. I returned the PCM and received credit with no hassles from Auto Computer Exchange. I read your post and replaced the BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH. It's been 2 weeks now and the cruise control has not failed one time. Before it failed daily. Thank you for taking the time to post your experience here. This forum has saved me $850 and then some.
  • fordtough4fordtough4 Member Posts: 1
    2004 4.7l v8 This was a $1.00 fix the dealership told me 100 to diagnose and possible 1000 to fix. The vacuume line comes out of the passenger side of the manifold. you have to remove the 4.7 l v8 plastic air intake piece and air filter cover at the top. the vacume hose is can be seen there it goes to the firewall then straight to the underside of the battery behind the headlight. Check the entire cable. The underside of mine melted near the engine due to heat. I cut outside the melted area then bought high pressure gas line and placed both ends of the original vacuume line into the gas line (1.00 an Oreillys). Cruise and Vents worked instantly and the gas line won't melt like that cheap [non-permissible content removed] ">. Let me know if you need any help.
  • sassygirl58sassygirl58 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have read thru all the threads and wanted to say thank you to all that posted. The Jeep Cruise Control in my case would cut out shortly after engaging and only would restart after shutting car off but still only worked for a few minutes and cut off. After reading all there was on this site I had all vacuum lines replaced...still had the problem. I than replaced the Brake light switch, a fix of $13.99 from AutoZone and low and behold cruise is working just fine. I realize if I had taken the Jeep to Dealer this would have been much more costly. This is not a hard repair to make I have a friend that installed the switch and took him all of maybe 10 minutes after reading instructions that came with the part. So here's an idea if you are having the same problems....thank you to all that posted!!!
  • sassygirl58sassygirl58 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your post it really helped, I replaced the brake light switch and now cruise is working, fix of $13.99 from AutoZone!!!
  • halli_34halli_34 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 GC is doing the same thing where is the vacuum hose located that was off??
  • christy25christy25 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 GC as well with the cruise out and the air only blowing out the defroster. We have changed out the line behind the headlight (it was split) we also changed out a line along the manifold also split. I dont know how to take out the battery tray can you advise? Im a woman so talk slow and specific :) Thanks!
  • lmellenblmellenb Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I am having issues with the cruise on my 05 GC.
    When I turn the cruise on the light comes on and then turns off. Then does not turn on again. Sometimes it will come on and work but most of the time it doesn't.

Any ideas as far as different things to try?
    Thanks
  • wornout99wornout99 Member Posts: 1

I too was able to fix my cruise control by replacing the brake switch with one from Autozone only my cost was $15.02 because the Peoples Republic of California added tax :-(

• jeepman64jeepman64 Member Posts: 2

Vaccuum canister under the battery , check the vacuum line for cracks

• kycat1976kycat1976 Member Posts: 2
    wing2894 said:

Hope this helps, I had the exact same problem with my 2001 Grand Cherokee, ((fan position switch won't work (go from floor to dash to windshield, etc.)), and the cruise control won't engage. I'm told both are due to a vacuum line problem, ). I fixed mine by replacing 1/4" hose located directly under battery mounting pan. Takes a little work but might be worth it.

First remove battery. Then remove pan, you'll need a deep socket 10mm with extentions to get at one mounting nut. Remove two nuts holding cable to fuse/relay box attached to pan. Move pan out of way. The hose that's causing all the problems is about 6" long going to servo. Replaced hose ($.77) and it took care of both problems. Total job took about 1 hour. From what I have been reading this is the hose that's causing everyone problems.

• kycat1976kycat1976 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Jeep GC and does the exact same thing. Thanks for the info. I will try the hose problem if I can get someone to help me. My AC stays in my window and my cruise does not work either. Thanks!
  • acarr05acarr05 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 jeep grand Cherokee with 80,000 miles. Driving to work this morning had cruise control set no problems. Hit the brakes to slow down no problem, hit resume and the engine died. Tried it again no problem the third time engine died. Any ideas?
  • jmc5383jmc5383 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings. I'm new to these forums so forgive me if this has been answered already. I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and my cruise control has also stopped working. As in when I push the on/off button to activate the system the green cruise light on the dash doesn't light up. I've seen many comments to check the vacuum hose, check the break light switch to even checking the vehicles on board computer system. I've also read that if its a bad vacuum hose it will also affect the vent selector which is also a small issue. I select the vent to blow on my feet and instead it blows out of the defrost, etc, etc.
    I am hoping to fix this myself so I'm wondering where to start? Is it possible the cruise switch on the steering wheel itself has gone bad or should I be checking these other items first?
  • FNOBLEFNOBLE Member Posts: 1
    I PURCHASED A 2003 J.G.C. TRANSMISSION REBUILD KIT , CAME WITH A HEAVY SPRING . NOT SURE WHERE IT GOES IN THE TRANS ? ANYBODY!?
  • TrizmondeTrizmonde Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I bought my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 about a year ago and immediately noticed that the air in my vehicle will only blow out of the front facing vents and no matter what I do it WILL NOT blow out of the door vents or the windshield defroster vents. I know that it could be a vacuum problem, but I read that my cruise control would be affected if that were the case and my cruise control works perfectly. I did a lot of research about it over the last year with no success. I even asked my mechanic and he couldn't think of anything that might be causing the problem without treatin out the dash completely, which would cost $1000+. Please help!