Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rb33661rb33661 Member Posts: 3
    First I never thought that I would be writing about problems with my Jetta, but I felt that people should have some info about my experience before purchasing a VW Jetta. I own a standard 00 GLS VR6 that has 23,000 miles on it and has had numerous problems since I have owned the car. Before I get into the numerous problems, I completely love driving the car, I call it "the abused wife syndrome" since I keep on going back giving the car a second chance, thinking that this will be the last problem with it. So into the list of problems

-Moonroof whistle above 75mph, 2 different dealerships have tried to fix it 4 times: still whistles
    -Center console creak: fixed twice: still creaks
    -O2 sensor goes out: fixed; needed a new sensor
    -Glove compartment creak: fixed
    -passenger and driver front door creaking and clanking: fixed 3 times; still creaks on both sides
    -Uneven tire wear due to the negative camber: result uneven tires

In terms of an investment my VW has performed very poorly, my case might be an isolated incident, but I am not taking any more chances with it. I have learned my lesson and I am now in the market for a Honda. Take my experience as what its worth if you are deciding to purchase a VW Jetta.
  • flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    Creaks and rattles are not major problems. Did the car leave you stranded? Did it die? Did the motor blow up?
    My 97 Toyota was full of problems at the very end of a 4 year lease. The list included:
    -3 new sets of tires due to uneven wear
    -2 batteries
    -front struts wore out
    -worn valve stem seals which caused the car to blow white smoke at all times (started at 46k miles)
    -my mechanic said the engine was sludged
    -at the last day of the lease car was towed away cause it wouldn't even start.
    So you see even the mighty Japanese Toyota have their share of problems.
  • rb33661rb33661 Member Posts: 3
    The purpose of my message was not to promote the Japanese and their ability to make a car, or get into a pissing contest, but to let people know about the problems I have had with my Jetta. For my Jetta it might be an isolated incident, but I would kick myself for keeping a car that has been in the shop 7 times for numerous problems in a year, and I am not going to give it the chance to die on me in the middle of nowhere. I can see a sunk investment when its staring me in the face, and its time to get rid of that investment when you are waiting to see what problem comes up next. Its time for me to press on with a vehicle with a better warranty and reputation. And I am sorry about your Toyota.
  • ferg5ferg5 Member Posts: 2
    I just took my new Jetty (month old) into the shop on Friday. I have been hearing a noise that I thought was the power steering every time I am at low speeds and turn the wheel lightly to the left or right. It sounds like the steering is cranked all the way but it isn't. The dealer said they thought it was possibly a harmonic distortion in the transmission (2.0 5 spd). The dealer said they would need to call the Etch line for WV, but still haven't heard from them. Has anyone else heard of this problem before? Still love my new car.

- Keith
  • ladybugnovaladybugnova Member Posts: 40
    I don't own a Jetta--I have a 2001 BMW 325xi, but I did hear a similar creaking type of low speed noise when I turned the steering wheel lightly to the right or left. The service guys took the wheel apart basically after I complained a second time, and it turns out that the cable or wire (pardon my lack of knowledge) that connects the air bag sensor to the wheel had some dirt (don't ask me how on a brand new car!) in it. They removed the dirt supposedly--I think they just reduced the dirt because the noise still comes occasionally, but is much lighter now. Hope this helps,

LBnova
  • jcp5jcp5 Member Posts: 9
    FOR PROSPECTIVE VW BUYERS…

I have owned my Tulley VW (NH) 2000 Jetta for approx. 1 yr/39,000 highway miles. Here are the problems I have experienced...
    * The car burns oil rapidly between oil changes and requires maintenance
    * My drivers side window fell into the door the other deal and after the secretary told me there was nothing they could do today (mind you, it was raining and I had a 1 hr commute home) I had the manager “help”...I was charged $200.
    * The sunroof is broken (its $85 just for VW to look at it)
    * Now the check engine light is on (I'm told just to check this there is a $68 charge)

Please note that all of these problems are not due to misuse of the car...at one time I ran a car detailing business and I treat the car very, very well and have been disheartened by its problems.

VW service is near horrible and the workers are very unsypathethic to any problems. Since its not one problem that recurs over and over I don’t qualify for the lemon-law…a loophole if you ask me.

Feel free to ask me any questions.
  • yettibuttyettibutt Member Posts: 98
    My wife has a 2000 GL, to date, it has been fine with these exceptions: temp gauge stopped working, having fixed at dealer next week (I hope this is under warranty even though we have 30K on the car); air bag sensor was replaced under warranty; glove box hinge broke - replaced under warranty even though car was technically out of warranty; a few rattles here and there, nothing to complain about really; and finally the tires are now "roaring", the dealer knows this has been a problem with the goodyear tires (see post #878)and will look at it next week when it is in for the 30K service (hopefully we will score a set of new tires). I have had good service from my dealer and have no complaints with the car, its been a fun car to own and drive. Every problem has been addressed and corrected without multiple visits. It just depends on the dealer you go to I guess, you can't really lump every dealer into one category and say that they are all bad.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Creaks and rattles ARE major problems IMO in a car with only 23,000 miles, and when you get a new car you should expect NO creaks and rattles, unless you bought an 84 Ford Tempo brand new. Why do you think creaks and rattles are not a big deal? If I had creaks and rattles in my car with that mileage, I would be questioning the car's overall integrity and structure, not to mention that they are extremely annoying. My 91 Mustang was full of them, but I almost expected that in a near 10 year old Ford (basic design from 1979) with a twisty weak uni-body design that had been thrashed by a 5.0L engine, but in a brand new Jetta? No way Jose, I'd be P-Oed, big time. My integra had 130,000 Minnesota road miles without a creak or rattle. EVERY new car buyer is entitled to expect a car to be devoid of creaks and rattles for a LONG time. 23,000 miles and you say the guy is being picky? Gimme a break!
  • typhoon1typhoon1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new new Jetta GLS TDI 2 weeks ago. 10 minutes after I drove it off the lot, a rattle in the front left vent developed. The rattle became very loud and distracting. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it by, a "service guy would take a look at it". I drove the 40 mile one-way trip back to the dealer, just to be told that they didn't have time, and that I needed to bring it back next week. A week later I brought the vehicle back to the dealer, but now a popping noise had developed in the floorboard. I dropped the vehicle off at 1pm and waited in the service waiting room. 4 hours later I asked the manager what was going on with my car. He checked into it and found out they hadnt even looked at it yet. They finally got the car back in the service bay, popped off the dash, and tightened a screw. Problem fixed. The service tech and I took the car for a test drive to make sure the problem was gone. The rattle had disappeared, but the popping noise had become extremely loud. The service tech was baffled, so he took the driver seat out, greased the rails, and refastened the seat. The popping noise was still there. The tech finally concluded that the floor had a bubble in it (similar to a shoe shine can lid. you push down and it pops). Because the car is a uni-body design there is no way to fix this problem. I purchased this car instead of leasing it because I plan on driving it for years to come. But now I am worried that I will be stuck with a lemon. The dealer said I need to bring it back next Wednesday to confirm that the floor is the culprit. They said that if it was, they would do whatever it took to fix it, including putting me in a new car. I guess we will see how well this dealership stands behind its word. I am very disappointed with my new Jetta, and hope that if I do receive a new one (which I will or they will refund my money!), it will be what a person expects of a new car.
  • manningd1manningd1 Member Posts: 1
    In April of 2000 when I had my near fate car accident, I was worried that I wouldn't find a car like my 1991 Honda civic hatch SI which I maintained never brought back to the dealer for anything but a leak in the roof. I had 163 thousand miles, same started and fuel pump! I did my research on Volkswagen Jetta's and was very impressed. My wife and I purchased a Jetta GLS VR6 in June of 2000 on the 28th.

We decided to do a road trip to Florida see my parents, by the time we got there we put 1600 miles on the car. The next morning the car would not start??! I saying to myself that this is impossible, I figured out that it had to be the fuel pump. The roadside assistance was great they pick up the car, the dealer called and told us the fuel pump died. They didn't have any in stock so we had to wait two days. The car was fixed but our faith in the car wasn't! On the way back, as we passed through Virginia one of the plastic shield under the mid section of the car came loose, so we brought it in for service in Virginia. There were no further problems until tonight 6/20/2001,10:00PM, My wife and I and a friend were in the car talking, the car was Idling, it dies suddenly??!!!#$^%
    I try starting it again it wont start. I wait a little bit then it starts but barely, I repeatedly press on the accelerator pedal but the response is not the same. I have concluded that as wonderful as the Jetta or any Volkswagen might be If their starter and fuel pumps are made poorly then the car is no longer reliable. This car is not worth it. My 91 civic I drove hard I worked it over and all I got back was better gas mileage and reliability. I no longer trust this Jetta to do my long trips by myself I'm afraid it will let me down in a bad place. Some one please tell me if this would be covered under the lemon law??

Thank you
  • wolfiedriverwolfiedriver Member Posts: 9
    Seems we hear lots of lemon stories here, but that's because nobody posts "I love my car and have have little (or no) problems".

(BTW, I love my Jetta, and have had no problems.)

newcar31, do you go to all the boards and post negative crap about cars you never owned like you do with the Jetta? I know you're disappointed you're driving rice instead of a car with personality, but stick to the Mazda board. See, as much as it would make you feel better, the fact is that most VWs are great cars. Very few are lemons. Mazda makes lemons too! In fact, you'll have to look long and hard before you find a group of owners as passionate, loyal and fanatical as VW owners. Theres a reason for that. These cars are well engineered, stylish, and a blast to drive.
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    well said!
    If you read my post I wasn't ragging on VWs. I was ragging on Flaca for calling that guy picky. As I said, EVERY new car owner is entitled to a rattle free car and calling someone picky because they complain about it is, well...weak. If the only thing that consitutes a problem is the motor dying or the motor blowing up on a new car (According to Flaca), well then, you are not being picky enough because its 2001, not 1955. For the 118th time, I know that other companies make lemons too, it just so happens that VW makes a good share of them compared to some other companies. If you guys and gals are willing to go out and buy them despite this, all I can say is that they must be really, really, fun to drive. I like my "RICE" burner and I like your "KRAUT" or "BURRITO" burners too except for the quality issues and I'll leave it at that.
    Look, I don't like rattles either!!!! But, I am more scared of a car leaving me stranded somewhere alone. My volvo left me stranded MANY times and it wasn't a nice experience. That is all I was referring to. Right now I have no rattles but if one occurs in the future and it can't be fixed - I'll just blast the monsoon on high. Peace to all.
    This goes for my Mazda too. You can be sure that if I get some rattles or that if I have some quality issues I am going to do whatever it takes to get them fixed. If I have to go to the dealer 3 times to resolve the problem, you can be sure that I will raise hell.
  • bluejettaglxbluejettaglx Member Posts: 1
    I just took in my 2000 Jetta GLX because the gears were grinding when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear at 2800 RPM. After having to demonstrate the problem myself because the mechanic couldn't make it happen, the service manager did some research and told me that VW is in the process of making a replacement 2nd gear syncho to fix the problem but he doesn't know yet when it will be available.

Anyone know anything about this replacement part and when it might be released?

Other than the gear issue, i've been very happy with the car. This problem did not start happening until I had the car about 9 months. I have less than 9000 miles on the car.
  • k_h_bk_h_b Member Posts: 54
    I've very very pleased with my jetta after 11,000 miles , posted about my experiences in the main jetta board. Luv it :]
  • romano1romano1 Member Posts: 1
    2000 Jetta TDI 35000 kms
    Previous vehicles: 87 Toyota Corolla, 93 Nissan
    Hardbody and 98 Mazda B3000.
    I've been back to the vw dealership for scheduled servicing... and grease spot on the interior sunroof panel, driver's door adjustment,loose floor vent cover and broken rear seat catch device.
    All repaired to my satisfaction. Slamming the rear seat into its upright lock position probably did the catch device in. I keep the catch device lifted now until I have the seat positioned upright and then release the "catch".
    After a year and a half I put my Jetta behind that unbeatable Nissan in reliability during a comparable period of time, well ahead of that Mazda and sharing the middle with the Toyota.
    was a FORD RANGER.
  • ewhipewhip Member Posts: 6
    My intentions here are simply to report the maintnance issues I've had in the last 14 months with my 2000 Jetta 1.8T. Infer from them what you will - I do like the car and am a VW fan....
    day 2: Turbo out 2days at shop warranty
    month 3: bad wiring harness 2 days at shop warnty
    month 4: Cd player bad 1 day at shop warranty
    month 6: plastic rails break off of seat rails
    have not addressed this issue
    month 8: drivers side seat height adjuster begins
    to fail. Have not addressed.
    month 12: clogged buypass valve in exhaust
    2 days in shop NOT under warranty
    due to mileage $200
    month 12: all four tires down to tread wear
    indicators (30K miles) $500
  • bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    Okay. Here's my list:

Third brake light dimmer than normal. Replaced at 5K service.

That's it.

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
  • smitpatsmitpat Member Posts: 13
    Okay here's my list:

-Window went halfway up and back down again with one-touch. Dealer told me to get it right in so they could replace the regulator before the window crashed down. They smoothed out some weatherstripping while it was in. Same day delivery under warranty. Me happy with dealer.
  • mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    Here's my list:

Occasional rattle in sunroof cover.

That's it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    30K on tires shouldn't be on your complaint list...that's normal wear, or at least within the normal range.

I think Jettas ARE a lot more fun to drive than most Japanese cars, and personally, I would put up with a few warranty glitches in order to have the driving qualities of a German car. But I can understand totally if some people are not willing to make this type of trade-off.
    my 97 camry had to have it's first set of tires changed at 18K. Now, that's bad. Two more sets within 46K.
  • fuzzofuzzo Member Posts: 88
    Hi All,
    I have been skimming some of the posts in here for a friend who is interested in buying a Jetta.

I am not too familiar with the Jetta but is 2000 when the new body style came out. The reason I am asking this is because I have noticed a trend in german cars. They tend to have a lot more bugs in their first year than Japanese cars.

Are most of these problems covered that people are having covered by the warranty? and how long is the warranty for

Please excuse my ignorance in this.....
    The new styling actually came out very late in the 1999 car year. I don't know exactly what month. Bug and glitches are pretty much the norm for any new model. Consumer-type publications always tell you to stay away from the first year of any new model.

-Jim
    Please note that my post stated that I like my Jetta and that I am a VW fan. It was a listing of maintenance issues for people's information and comparison with their current vehicles. It is not a "complaint list." Thanks. Have a good day. Happy VW Driving.....
    No problem ewhip and I did notice your comment in your original post that you were not posting a complaint list. It's just that there's some non VW owners in here as of late slamming Jettas and their 'problems' and they don't even own one. Weird.

So, it just serves notice that not every single Jetta owner gets to know their service department on a first name basis due to warranty issues.
    Yep, still love my Jetta anyway - the guys at the CARWASH and I are on a first name basis!! 8^)
    As it should be, ewhip. As it should be. :))
  • yettibuttyettibutt Member Posts: 98
    Can someone please help me, I have a 2000 Jetta GL with 30K miles on it. The tires started becoming VERY loud on the highway a while back and I did'nt think much of it. I took it in today for 30K service and had the dealer look at them. From what I have read (and spoke to a Goodyear Rep on the phone), the tires (Eagle LS) on this car can wear irregular and cause this noise. I have rotated them every 10K since we bought it new. The dealer says my tires are worn on the inside or "cupped" severely and that the recall tires wore in the center of the tread. Obviously, I think this is total horse poop. Does anyone here have this problem and if so, did your tires wear on the center of the tread or the inside??? I am writing Goodyear a nastygram as well as the dealer. I am tempted to have a 4 wheel alignment done, if it comes up bad, well Ill eat a new set of tires, but, if it comes out within spec, Im want some new tires! Please help with your responses! Email me at Akarst@hgl.com if you want.

Thanks
    Have your dealer show you the TSB on the Goodyears because I am pretty sure that the recall was concerning inner tire wear and cupping: Exactly as you describe your tires.

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
  • carsearching1carsearching1 Member Posts: 2
    It's odd to me that some of the Jetta owners are attacking people who state their troubles they've had with their Jetta. If you noticed the title of this message board, its called VW PROBLEMS!! If you want to brag about your car, GREAT!I didn't come to this site to read how great the car looks...I KNOW it's appealing to the eyes! I don't own one yet...and am considering buying one and frankly, I'm pleased with the honesty in all of these testimonials. I've visited the board with the good comments too...but it's the BAD things about the car that will, overall, help me make my final choice. I'm interested in how much money it will cost me in the long run to maintain my investment after the warrenty expires. It bothers me that my 10/100 warrenty covers NONE of these problems discussed here. How convenient for the VW dealers! The Jetta is a beautiful car...and believe me I drool with envy when one drives by me. I can spot one coming a mile away!!! Unfortunatly, these "minor" problems are too rich for me and my checkbook. I spoke to a former VW dealer yesterday, and he told me good and bad about the two cars I'm considering. I hadn't been to this site yet....and he mentioned that the electical problems will drain me with the Jetta. I think that "falling window" problem falls in that catagory. (no pun inteneded) And, a co-worker of my husbands bought a 99 Jetta a few months ago and his has been in the shop for...you guessed it..electical troubles. I'm still researching ...and still love the Jetta...but I'm leaning towards the other choice. I'm sure I'll get tons of negative feed-back on this post from a Jetta lover..and sorry if it offends you that people with troubles post on the PROBLEM board...but to you who do post here...THANKS for the help!!!!
  • balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    The 2002 models will have a 4y/50000m B-2-B; & the powertrain will have a 5y/60000m warranty. Maintenance for free during B2B will be dropped. As far as an '01 model if u decide, then enjoy the 10/100K and extend the 2/24 for B2B piece of mind. I just purchased VW masterguard Platinum ext warr on my 01 1.8T GLS for 5y/72K miles. This covers the whole period of time that I make payments. I have 6500 miles now with no complaints. Any minor concerns were handled @ my 5K mile service...
  • carsearching1carsearching1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the imput BalticJetta!! I'll keep it in mind! I'm just dreading the whole "car buying ordeal"....at any dealership!!
    When you go to buy your car, go armed with data and prices from sites such as Edmunds. Go there and you tell them what you are going to pay for a car. Go there pre-approved and then there's no room for BS and you should be able to complete the purchase and be off the lot in less than 90 minutes. That's what I did. Works like a charm.

Try buying on the Net too. Keeps you out of that showroom atmosphere and in your own environment. With all the tools we now have available, there is no reason that you cannot buy any car at your price in less than 90 minutes.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    For those considering purchase of Jetta or other VW.
    The warranty for 2002 will be 4yr/50K miles b2b and 5yr/60K powertrain. No free maintenance.
    People concerned about the small items should like the new warranty.
  • sprouty1sprouty1 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 GLX VR6 and when I just took it in for the 5K service I saw the pamphlet on the Platinum extended warrantee plan. It's appealing to me because it is offered by VW and not some aftermarket company. Could you tell us what it cost you if you don't mind? Was the price negotiable? Thanks!
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    Prices are always negotiable at the dealer
    $0 deductible, 60months from date of signing agreement or 72K miles on odometer, whatever comes first. Platinum for $896. I purchased from my selling dealer in Texas. My local dealer in Tulsa, OK does not promote the VW factory ext warr. The service dep't is all I care about as they will honor the factory. The dealer in Texas originally wanted 1300-1700 range for this VW warranty and tried to get me to take one of their aftermarket plans for 1100. I declined so I could do more homework. Of course when U are in the finance office hammering out the financial stuff they'll try to load U up and try to get it in the finance contract. The profit margin for dealer aftermarket warr. is higher. The $896 was quoted as 200 over cost and I told them that if I got an aftermarket one that I would get it at my local dealer as they sell and service it with consistency. I felt the VW one will cross the T's and dot the i's better. Gotta keep your records of your scheduled maint. for future major warr. claims that hopefully we don't have except that piece of mind...
    ALSO, U can get the factory warr. @ a lower cost as long as U get it before 6mos/6000miles are on the new car. I just rolled 6K last week with 4.5 months since delivery. They put 5501 miles on my paperwork to make the lower cost stick. 60 mos starts now.
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    What source provided you with the new warranty information?
  • jc294jc294 Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to decide to buy a Civic EX sedan or Jetta GLS 1.8T, both auto transmission. I'm leaning toward civic, as I don't want to deal with mechanical problems. But Jetta (or new Passat, for that matter) is exactly the image that I want myself to be seen - a bit older and more refined and sophisticated than the average 20-year-old (I am in my early 30s). Both are great cars and I'm having the hardest time trying to decide. Any advice/suggestion? Here's a list of pros and cons for each.

Civic -
    Pros:
    1. Cheaper base price, under $18k
    2. More reliable and cheaper to maintain
    3. Better gas efficiency
    Cons:
    1. Boring appearance and styling
    2. Less fun and powerful to drive
    3. Consumer complaints about declining quality (based on personal research finding, no real data)

Jetta -
    Pros:
    1. Distinguish style
    2. Relatively affordable price, around $20k
    3. More powerful and fun to drive
    Cons:
    1. Heard owner complaints about various problems, though most are minor, still discouraging
    2. VW dealerships have bad reputation for service
    3. Requires premium gas, lower gaas milleage
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think for an automatic I would go with the Honda, because really the Jettas strong point is being fun to drive and the automatic will negate this to some extent, in my own personal opinion. I sense (perhaps mistaken) that you won't have much tolerance for little screw-ups on a new car, either.

But basically I think your side by side evaluations are pretty good. If you don't buy my comments about the automatic, then I'd advise you to buy the car you feel best in, because affection will get you over the tough spots, whereas if you don't like what you bought, you will be very hard on the car when it fails you.
    It is less boring than the Civic, has more power (torque) than the Civic, has a better reliability record than the Jetta (it is one of the few still built in Japan), and the ES model handles EXCELLENT. Overall, I think it is a better car to compare with the Jetta than the Civic is.
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/44875/article.html
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/spin/45994/article.html By the way, I still like the Jetta, I am just giving this person another choice to make his decision harder. ;)
    Have U taken both automatic equipped cars for a serious drive and push em both for performance? I did drive an EX auto and it felt fine where the 5speed was more fun. The Jetta 1.8T auto will give more Bimmer/Saab kinda fun and performance. Yeah the price is more, but you'll enjoy every dollar spent. You live once. Besides, you'll get plenty of compliments on a Jetta.
  • mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    I now have 1,250 miles on my 2001 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfsburg).

No real mechanical problems so far. Just two early issues, for which I plan to visit the dealer soon.

First, there is an annoying sound - sort of a combination creak and rattle - that seems to be emanating from the steering column area on rougher roads and upon acceleration. The sound started at about 100 miles, so that's disappointing from a quality standpoint.

Second, the dealer-installed VW CD changer (trunk mounted) sporadically malfunctions, with a "CD error" message. If I change to another disk, the problem goes away.

Overall, the car is a delight to drive. If I can get these two problems fixed, and I don't have a lot of other problems down the road, I'll be a happy camper.
    make sure the cd's are installed facing the correct way.
  • smitpatsmitpat Member Posts: 13
    I also looked at the Civic EX and the Jetta 1.8T. The second I got into the Civic, I had to get out again. It felt cramped, and the interior seemed really cheap. I didn't even take it for a test drive. Ended up getting a Jetta Wolfsburg. I have 1,600 miles on it in 6 weeks, and I'm very happy. I had two very minor things fixed last week (both under warranty). The dealer was great (Koeppel in NYC).